Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 28626 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 20, 2017, 14:58 Creston

a 17 inch, 4K display. Sigh. When you have an app that doesn't scale properly, it'll be 0.02 inches high by 0.01 inches wide. Have fun finding that "settings" button.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews
47. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 14:54 Creston

Fion wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 14:14:
  • Cora has it worse, she's like locked into perpetual bug-eyed mode, the first time you meet her she's facing the direction of you and a minor character but not looking at either as she warmly greets you, and the look on her face is something between coked-out and in awe. She actually says 'sorry, my face is tired' as if the devs couldn't fix the issue before launch and had her voice actor read a few more lines a few days before early access.

• That's not Cora who says that, that's... whatsherface. Addison or something. The throw-away in charge of colonialization. I think she's that npc you're referring to in your 3rd bullet point.

Btw, concur on the scanning thing. ALL the scanning is literally only there for the crafting system. If you ignore it completely, you'll miss out on some gear, and that's it. So it can 100% safely be ignored (several reviews I've read have confirmed this.) Which is probably good, because I have to say it is getting a bit boring. I like scanning something new and getting info about it in my codex. The problem is that there's no indication of what's possible for you to scan and what isn't. So you wind up having to walk around with that scanner up and see if something pops up, which is UUUGGHHH.

You do need it for a few puzzles, but that's literally a few seconds each.

Still, looking forward to it unlocking tonight.

41. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 14:06 Creston

Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 13:39:
    another consensus is how ineffective and railroaded the dialog system is - and this is actually a big deal for me, in particular regarding Mass Effect

they said they did away with the paragon/renegade system and replaced it with more options - but what they didnt say is that all the new options are just shades of the same thing, and there is no longer any "asshole dialog" type option, which is definitely a highlight of the old games because it led to seriously hilarious conversations and I really enjoyed that kind of Jack Bauer type crap.. honestly thats probably the best part of the ME rpg stuff IMO

also the dialog options no longer give you any real choices to affect things differently.. they are all just a bunch of paths leading to the same outcome

and this is widely reported

thats a big one, id think

Yeah that's correct, and it's quite sad. I see why they did it, but at the same time, the Renegade interrupts were AWESOME.

There are still interrupts in the game, btw, but they're nowhere near at the *pull gun, threaten to shoot guy right in the face* level of cool that the early MEs had.

Ryder is basically a good guy/girl, and that's what you get to play as.

40. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 14:04 Creston

ItBurn wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 13:17:
    So, it's inquisition in space and the problems with animations are true. I loved the first two Dragon Age, but was bored to death with inquisition. It's really sad, but I'm going to have to wait for a big sale before I get this.

Maybe I'll get Dishonored 2 instead, or maybe Prey, but it looks... bad, to me.

Dishonored 2 is excellent. If you liked the first one, you'll like the second one. It's better than the first one in literally every single way.

33. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 13:07 Creston

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 09:16:
    So.... about the people defending this game?

What about them? The game has big annoyances, but it's still a huge, massive and (for me) fun Mass Effect game.

YMMV.

32. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 13:05 Creston

Man, Ars' review is MASSIVE.

I agree with all of these "Bad" statements, btw.

- You can no longer customize your squadmates' loadouts or pause combat to trigger their special abilities
    - The facial and character animations often appear poorly done, like you’re talking to weird rubber androids
    - Transition animations are everywhere and they all need skip buttons
    - Too many "Hold button to select" interface choices, which are fine for controller but terrible on mouse and keyboard
    - Priority missions disable at-will saving and force you to checkpoint-based autosaves, which is a stupid design decision carried forward from 1990s console gaming that needs to die a million deaths
    - No quick-save functionality at all—boo hiss, BioWare

The last two, especially, are really fucking stupid. "PC Games by PC Gamers" my ass.

However, I also very much agree with this statement:

"What I can say, though, is that this is a good game. This is a BioWare space RPG. This is a Mass Effect game, in character and execution as well as in name. If you’re a Mass Effect fan—the kind who created a custom Shepard and imported a single save game all the way through the original trilogy and has fierce feelings about the proper romance choices for Shepard—then you’ll want to buy Andromeda, because even though it won’t give you any more Shepard, it will give you more Mass Effect (and there are some hints and voice logs from familiar original trilogy faces to be found—if you look for them)."

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2017, 14:07.

News Comments > etc.
    26. Re: etc. Mar 19, 2017, 22:44 Creston

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 19:55:
    Slick wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 16:56:
    Bethesda gets a pass for re-using the same engine for 15+ years, with the same garbage animations

I remember very well the animations from Morrowind, and the ones in Skyrim and FO4 are not even close to as bad as they used to be in that engine.
    Go back and play Morrowind for a while to get an idea of how much they have improved actually. Not to say they're great by today's standards for AAA, but they have definitely gotten better.

Plus pretty much everyone was bitching about how god-awful the faces and animations in Fallout 4 were. Bethesda definitely did not "get a pass." (Also, Andromeda is substantially better than Fallout 4 in the animation department.)

News Comments > etc.
    24. Re: etc. Mar 19, 2017, 22:41 Creston

OpticNerve wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 18:11:
    Imagine an Elder Scrolls or Fallout game that had a completely new (and buggy of course - this is Bethesda after all) engine but only allowed limited modding?

It would CRUSH their PC sales, which despite their best efforts to pretend otherwise, are actually pretty huge. Knowing you can fix the bullshit (or someone will fix it for you) is really what makes most people go "Eh, I'll put up with Bethesda's shit for now." If they go away from that, I think a huge number of people would just not bother.

Which is, of course, why they're so married to Gamebryo. They know how the mods work on it. Their modders know how to build mods for it. If they switch to a completely new engine, they could well lose their entire community which is the huge driving force behind their PC sales.

News Comments > etc.
    23. Re: etc. Mar 19, 2017, 22:38 Creston

NKD wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 20:06:
    The only major complaint anyone seems to have about ME:A thus far is that the animations suck. People who have actually played the preview say it's not bad enough to be distracting and there are only a couple examples of actually distracting animations in the first few hours. But when you go onto /r/games or some other forums, the narrative is that the WHOOOOOLE game is utterly garbage 0/10 material.

So people go from "Subpar animations, a few that are really bad." to "0/10 literal garbage, fire all the developers and put them in an internment camp" in about 60 seconds. That's the power of internet circlejerks.

The facial animations are, by and large, pretty terrible. There's the occasional conversation where they're actually good (like seriously good), but most of them you're just "sigh." And then there's quite a few where the camera ISN'T zoomed in on Ryder's face at 140000000%, and those are fine too.

Other character animations are perfectly fine, apart from a buggy one with walking down the stairs, which so far in 10 hours of playing time happened to me exactly once.

The rest of the game is, in my opinion, just good fun. Yeah, there's an occasional LINE of dialogue which is terrible. All of John Walker's examples, including that most favorite one that he posted a screenshot of, is literally ONE line a character says in an entire essay of just normal Mass Effect dialogue. I'm not excusing it, nobody would ever fucking say "my face is tired", but it's literally like four or five bad lines in 3000+ that I've heard so far.

But it's Bioware, and they're an easy target for people to hate, so whatever.

Andromeda is a fun game. It has an incredible way of making you feel as if you're in this world. It may seem like a small thing, but actually being IN a solar system, and being able to look out of your ship and seeing everything that's on the galaxy map out of your window is fucking incredible from an immersion perspective. There's a massive black hole in the center of the Heleus cluster, and there's a spot where you can get very close to it. Seeing that thing out of your window is fucking awesome. It may not be everybody's cup of tea, but I love it.

If you can ignore the horrible facial animations and the few bugs (and the consistent HARD CRASHES ), it's a fun game. The Nomad is cool to powerslide around, the battles can be pretty tough, it's fun to explore. It brings back the exploration of ME and builds on it.

Oh, as for Twitter, fuck Twitter. Twitter is the most inane garbage ever invented by mankind. Maybe someone can build a virus that permanently kicks all Twitter's imbeciles (note, that's not everyone who uses it. Just the shitheels) offline, with no chance of ever going back online. That seems like a worthy goal someone should look into.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access
    64. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access Mar 19, 2017, 17:46 Creston

NewMaxx wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 16:31:
    Creston wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 13:25:
    There's also a pretty massive plothole in the early storyline. They're saying that the reason the golden planets aren't what they thought they were anymore because they are going by data that's 600 years old, and the Kett clearly moved in 3 to 400 years ago.

But that idea of 600 year old data is ridiculous, because they've also explicitly said that they determined the golden planets by examining the light from the stars and its interactions with surrounding planets, and from that made determinations on the viability of said planets. So then, of course, they were not working with 600 year old data, but with 2.5 MILLION year old data.

This is actually explained. I have the full spoken explanation in my latest video which I'm posting this evening, I'll come back and link to that part. If you don't care for that and just want a "tl;dr" for now: Geth technology allows for a FTL sensor.

Ah, okay. The entire concept of an FTL sensor is inane, but I'll accept a Magical McSpaceGuffin.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda 4K Trailer
    47. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda 4K Trailer Mar 19, 2017, 17:45 Creston

Just reached the end of the trial (Noooooooo!!!!), I've been quite enjoying it so far, except for really frequent hard crashes. Fucking Nvidia driver. And no sight of a new one for Andromeda. I knew I shouldn't have upgraded even though the silly game told me to. My previous one were rock stable. :\

Anyone have any news on a new Nvidia driver for Andromeda?

In any case, the open world sections are fun. Just driving around with the Nomad on Eos, it's HUGE. I already found several caves off the beaten path just by exploring slightly hidden roads, etc.

Also, Drack is fucking awesome and I can't wait to get him on my team. He's basically Wrex. Now I just need a Garrus replacement and I can get rid of Dora the Explorer and British BoredWaffle.

News Comments > Op Ed
    9. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2017, 15:55 Creston

I doubt it's really the demand for more and more open world gaming as that the video games industry are all a bunch of "Me Too!" mongrels who see one game do well, and all decide they're going to be the next WoW/WW2shooter/GTAV/DayZ/LoL etc.

News Comments > Star Citizen Swapping DX12 for Vulkan
    23. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 19, 2017, 15:50 Creston

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 14:49:
    Creston wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 11:58:
    Seriously, someone who knows: How much work is it to switch from one API to another?

SNIPPED explanations of Dark Magicks.

o_O

thanks...?

(no seriously. Thanks! )

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
    10. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Mar 19, 2017, 12:29 Creston

Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 11:00:
    its like a high gloss wax film over stuff.. fucking weird they even let that get thru in the first place

Yeah, which makes me wonder if it's just on particular graphics cards. I just saw a scene in which the effect was so awful it baffles me nobody said "hey guys? This looks terrible." It was like there were just tears in the scene and you were just looking at the monitor behind it or something. It was just a brief moment, but you'd have thought that someone would have noticed it.

Does anyone with a non-970 see this effect?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
    3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2017, 12:26 Creston

Flew Southwest three times over the past few days, still the best airline imo. But it's good to see they're not resting on their laurels.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
    1. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Mar 19, 2017, 12:24 Creston

"Lawmakers, in need of money yet again, threaten airline industry, await bribes."

News Comments > etc.
    1. Re: etc. Mar 19, 2017, 12:00 Creston

They HAD a facial animator? Really? Did he just take 4 days a week off?

News Comments > Star Citizen Swapping DX12 for Vulkan
    3. Re: Star Citizen Swapping DX12 for Vulkan Mar 19, 2017, 11:58 Creston

Squadron 42(41?68?whatever) coming in 2024!

Seriously, someone who knows: How much work is it to switch from one API to another?

7. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Mar 19, 2017, 10:05 Creston

Slick wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 05:31:
    Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 00:57:
    Creston wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 23:29:
    One annoying thing, there's this thin line of like... shimmer around things. DA:I had it too, so I'm guessing it's Frostbite. It's only really visible up close, but in conversations under certain angles, all faces have it, and it's just noticeable enough to be irritating.

i think thats from the older gen shaders.. shame its still there

I remember this shimmer well, I guess Bioware has just been using a radically different fork of Frostbite since DA:I? Because SW:Battlefront and BF1 don't have the shimmer problem.

Ugh, that sucks. (that Bio's games still have it.) Wish they'd be bothered to fix it.

It's not as bad here as it is in DA:I where literally everything had that weird, white pixel shimmer, but it's still noticeable around the faces in conversations. And since the animations are terrible, you don't really spend any time looking at those, so then your eyes are drawn to that shimmer pretty quickly. :\

2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Mar 18, 2017, 23:29 Creston

NKD wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 18:46:
    Looks like ME:A actually performs pretty well on a 970 on High or a 1060 on Ultra, at 1080p.

On 4k it looks like an average of around 37fps on Ultra with a 1080.

It runs fine on my 970 with pretty much everything set to High. I do have AA and HBAO turned off. I5-2500 (so under their minimum processor requirement), 8 GB, and I get very smooth framerates. No stutter anywhere either, even in the big levels.

One annoying thing, there's this thin line of like... shimmer around things. DA:I had it too, so I'm guessing it's Frostbite. It's only really visible up close, but in conversations under certain angles, all faces have it, and it's just noticeable enough to be irritating.

28626 Comments. 1432 pages. Viewing page 14.
    < Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
    and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo