Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 27591 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > No Man's Sky is Very Very Chill
44. Re: No Man's Sky is Very Very Chill Aug 9, 2016, 11:13 Creston

nin wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 09:19:
BitWraith wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 00:35:
It'll have as much game to it as Minecraft does. If that appeals to you, then this may be the game for you.

Pretty much what I'm seeing. As someone who loves open worlds and exploring, I'm in!

This has no building/construction of any kind though, does it? That's like 99% of Minecraft's appeal. I don't see many videos of random Minecraft seeds, but thousands of "We built the Death Star in Minecraft!"

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2016, 11:05 Creston

Ichiro is the hit king. Pete Rose can suck it.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Aug 9, 2016, 11:04 Creston

I still have all my old Ultima cloth maps. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 BG and SI, and I think I have one for 8, but not sure on the last one.

They were awesome. Ultima was awesome. I wish instead of the terrifying abortion that Shroud of the Avatar is turning into, RG would have just made an HD remake of Ultima 4 and Ultima 7.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. 20 fps drops easy to fix Aug 9, 2016, 11:02 Creston

Can't read the article here at work. What's the easy fix? Uninstalling it?

News Comments > The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible
12. Re: The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible Aug 9, 2016, 11:00 Creston

I liked Rage well enough, though for me it got badly ruined by the terrible Megatexture engine. The hideous amounts of pop-in and god-awful textures when up close just really soured the experience.

But I liked the world, I liked quite a few of the levels, and I am probably the only guy in the world who actually liked the driving parts.

I should replay it on a fast SSD, see if that solved the texture issues.

News Comments > Amiga Software Library Archived
2. Re: Amiga Software Library Archived Aug 8, 2016, 21:10 Creston

I can't get anything to run on it. Might be an issue with Chrome.

News Comments > No Man's Sky is Very Very Chill
6. Re: No Man's Sky is Very Very Chill Aug 8, 2016, 21:04 Creston

Itís a weird game, itís a niche game and itís a very very chill game.

This could all very well be, I just still have a hard time seeing the game part in it. Hopefully I'm wrong, as I'd very much like for this to be awesome. But...

News Comments > Three HITMAN Seasons Planned; Episode 4 Next Week
5. Re: Three HITMAN Seasons Planned; Episode 4 Next Week Aug 8, 2016, 17:35 Creston

Cool, thanks guys!

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 8, 2016, 15:53 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Aug 8, 2016, 15:24:
1. Your quote isn't from the headline.

And?

2. The headline is descriptive of the encounter, so I'm not sure what the issue is. The guy was shot while playing Pokemon Go.

The guy was shot in a random-ass attack. It could just have easily have read "Guy attacked while standing in a park." or "Guy attacked while on his phone."
It reads "Guy attacked while playing Pokemon Go" solely and alone so that people will click it because it has the words Pokemon Go in it. It's clickbait.

3. RE nin's point, I think that, yeah, there's probably something else to this we don't know yet. That being said, there's some crazy gunman in Phoenix who is just gunning people down randomly, so it could be what it appears on its face: a senseless, random killing.

Which is how it should be reported.
But then, eh. :-shrug-: News nowadays just consists of getting as many clicks as possible, who gives a shit what you write.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Aug 8, 2016, 13:16 Creston

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 15:27:
The Valve expansion is strictly for the Steam Support division.

STEAM 2 CONFIRMED!

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 8, 2016, 13:13 Creston

Redmask wrote on Aug 8, 2016, 07:38:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 17:31:
I finally bought XCOM2 off of an Amazon(physical disc) sale, loving it so far, even with all the timed missions. Collision physics for shots seems even worse than XCOM1 though, but it's fair at least. Both you and the aliens ignore walls and doors on some buildings, it seems.

More importantly, does anybody own "Slain:Back From Hell" on Steam? And has played it since the new patches? I'm probably just going to buy it anyway, since it's on sale for under 8 bucks now, but I was wondering if the control issues are gone or at least lessened.

The more people who buy No Man's Sky now, the more pressure there will be for them to patch it up well before I get around to buying it. Mwahahaha!

I heard a lot of griping about the timed mission objectives in XCOM2 but it ended up being a great way to play the game. The sense of urgency forces you to move things along and actually use the classes effectively instead of just edging forward with squadsight snipers and other BS. Great game.

Eh, to each their own. I found the time limits irritating, especially in missions where they made no fucking sense whatsoever. I sneak into an area to do a stealth assault on some hidden data on a server, but somehow the aliens know I'm there and will delete the data in 8 turns?

To me the time constraints felt like the developer saying "we have no idea how to make this game harder, so we're just going to force you to dash everywhere, thus triggering 3 groups of aliens, and watching your guys get slaughtered because of circumstances heavily outside of your control."

Again, to each their own. I never like being badly hurried in games. If other people enjoy that, that's fine too. Since they allowed for mods, and there was a mod available on the first day that gave you 4 more turns, which felt pretty right, I just used that, and it was awesome that we could do that.

I concur it was/is a great game. (although I like Enemy Within better.)

Edit: Speaking of Xcom 2, has anyone played the Enemy Boss DLC and that Mech DLC? Anyone have any opinions on it?

News Comments > Xbox One Controller Windows Issues
42. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 8, 2016, 13:07 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 20:44:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 17:14:
Creston wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 17:06:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 16:37:
For example this article shows what I think we all know, stop Update Service... and if that works, then really what in gods name is all the fuss about? This is one of the oldest tricks in the book. I assume there is something funny going on where it doesn't work, system goes in and stealth starts it any way, otherwise the "You can't stop updates" is one of the most grossly reported issues in the history of Windows feardom.

http://mspoweruser.com/turn-off-windows-update-windows-10/

The update service isn't actually RUNNING on W10 all the time. It gets turned on by something, presumably in the registry, but could just as easily be something hardcoded somewhere, checks for updates, installs them, then the service gets turned off again.

Simply disabling the service does exactly 0% against stopping those updates from being installed. (on Home Premium anyway.)

Any link to that? I'm not disagreeing though, I assumed some funny business has to be happening with what you hear. However I have links of doing this and MS confirming it works to, articles from this year. They warn you against doing it because it could stop critical security updates, but I don't fear those.

Group policy has intervals set for update checks that will restart stopped services. Not sure they will trigger them out of disabled state though. In fact that would be really weird if a service could bring another service out of disabled state. So I assume this still works as it always does, disables WU completely if set to disabled, does do nothing if set to stop/don't auto start or the likes.

I had mine disabled and it somehow turned itself back on again. So it's purely anecdotal, but in my experience, it gladly ignores what you tell it to do and just does whatever Microsoft feels like doing.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 8, 2016, 12:46 Creston

It's unclear whether the attack had anything to do with "Pokemon Go,"

I'm going to say that there's literally no indication whatsoever that it had anything to do with pokemon go, but hey, don't let that stop you from writing clickbait headlines.

News Comments > Three HITMAN Seasons Planned; Episode 4 Next Week
1. Re: Three HITMAN Seasons Planned; Episode 4 Next Week Aug 8, 2016, 12:43 Creston

So how many contracts/map/missions are there per each one of these episodes?

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2016, 09:51 Creston

I only just watched Serenity about a month ago, and holy shit, talk about a gutpunch at the end.

For a series where the heroes comically never got hurt, despite (for example) standing in the open while 30+ armed gunmen are shooting at them, Serenity is a fucking brutal sendoff. And seriously, (secret) You couldn't give Wash a better end than THAT???

20. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 7, 2016, 17:06 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 16:37:
For example this article shows what I think we all know, stop Update Service... and if that works, then really what in gods name is all the fuss about? This is one of the oldest tricks in the book. I assume there is something funny going on where it doesn't work, system goes in and stealth starts it any way, otherwise the "You can't stop updates" is one of the most grossly reported issues in the history of Windows feardom.

http://mspoweruser.com/turn-off-windows-update-windows-10/

The update service isn't actually RUNNING on W10 all the time. It gets turned on by something, presumably in the registry, but could just as easily be something hardcoded somewhere, checks for updates, installs them, then the service gets turned off again.

Simply disabling the service does exactly 0% against stopping those updates from being installed. (on Home Premium anyway.)

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2016, 14:38 Creston

I'd go for a world without nukes, but until someone offs Putin and heavily changes the shithole that is North Korea, it's probably not really safe to do so.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
9. National Talk over encryption vs safety Aug 7, 2016, 14:36 Creston

FBI Dillwallet: We feel that we need to be able to break any kind of encryption at any time, thereby making encryption essentially completely pointless, because we will lose our master key within a week of receiving it.
Nation: Hell No.

This was a good talk, FBI. We should do it more often.

9. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Issues Aug 7, 2016, 14:34 Creston

Didn't know about the metered thing, thanks guys. Sadly I'm on wired, otherwise I'd have definitely turned that on.

5. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Issues Aug 7, 2016, 13:53 Creston

the gaming geeks at Ars recommend that you avoid the Anniversary update

Right, and you do that how on an OS that forces updates down your throat?

27591 Comments. 1380 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo