Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Bend, OR 04/29

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 28524 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2017, 23:32 Creston

Blue wrote on Mar 8, 2017, 21:05:
Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2017, 20:24:
Hey Blue,

Can you see if you can email nin? He didn't set up the ability to email him through his user id. He's been gone for quite a while now...

I contacted him and was relieved to find out he's okay at least... he says he's taking a break, which is hopefully temporary.

I appreciate it, Blue. I was starting to get a bit worried. Thanks for checking up on him.

Hope you come back soon, nin!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 8, 2017, 23:28 Creston

BUT IT WILL CREATE SO MUCH JERBZ!!!

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda PC Settings
2. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda PC Settings Mar 8, 2017, 23:26 Creston

Good to see a nice set of options, but why Film Grain? This isn't LA Noire, or Resident Evil. It's a sci-fi game...

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2017, 20:24 Creston

Hey Blue,

Can you see if you can email nin? He didn't set up the ability to email him through his user id. He's been gone for quite a while now...

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2017, 20:19 Creston

descender wrote on Mar 8, 2017, 16:50:
The IBM/Mac story is a nice story until you realize that they let all of their Mac home users choose to migrate over first, obviously reducing the number of tech calls they were making since they were now using a system they knew how to use. They get to conveniently leave out re-training as part of that deployment cost. They also leave out the part where IBM's infrastructure was built ready to host a mac environment which most offices are not remotely equipped for... There are just entirely too many factors overlooked in that IBM story to actually apply any conclusions to another company. Converting a company from PC to Mac is an absolute nightmare and is definitely not cheaper for anyone involved. Mac's, specifically Macbooks, make sense for developers... and really no one else.

Not only that, but how fucking terrifying was IBM's previous infrastructure? I've worked with dozens of IBM contractors and few, if any, had much good to say about the inner workings of IBM's IT. It was basically described as a grandiose clusterfuck. When an IBM contractor supports an app of yours as SAAS, they typically do it from their own IBM laptops, so if something fucks up, you have to try to fix their shitty hardware. It was rare that I ever saw any of them with anything newer than 3-4 years old.

So yeah, if you go from the absolute administration of hell to one with brand new Macs, it's undoubtedly going to look a lot nicer, and in the short term show up great on your balance sheets.

In any case, good for IBM, they saved some money, so maybe they can stop firing tens of thousands of their people.

In my company, I am fighting hard to get rid of all these Apple pieces of shit. The phones are bad enough.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 8, 2017, 16:19 Creston

FCC, Congress point to millions of dollars paid by AT&T, Verizon and Comcast, shrug, and shred Net Neutrality.  

11. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 8, 2017, 16:13 Creston

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 8, 2017, 11:31:
There are reasons to complain about Macs and about Apple in particular. But IBMs well documented switch to Macs for enterprise resulting in drastically lower total cost of ownership makes it pretty clear that Macs are a viable enterprise computing device. They cost more up front, but they also require vastly less user and technical support, leading to smaller IT budgets overall.

Please. I have ~ 30 users that use Macs, and they open just as many, if not more, tickets as my Windows users do. Their apps are just as shitty as the Windows apps, but now you have to find another way to fix it.

I've also been trying to unlock two iPads where the users forgot their unlock codes, and literally no solution works. They won't go into recovery mode, they won't go into DFU mode, nothing. No combination of arcane button presses works. (And why can't you just boot into a simple menu where you CHOOSE which mode you want? Oh wait, Steve Jobs hated buttons. Ugh.)

I'm taking them to the Apple store tomorrow in the hopes that they can get something done.

"Ready for the enterprise." Uh-huh.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Gameplay Video
14. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Gameplay Video Mar 8, 2017, 16:08 Creston

Looks very good. The massively expanded map looks great, and it looks like they've finally given you actual reasons to go to strongholds (there was absolutely no point to them in the first game), so hopefully you can actually take them down/destroy them.

The wyvern riding seemed pretty fun as well, if way OP. Then again, you become an absolute God in this game anyway, so it kinda fits.

Very much looking forward to it.

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 7, 2017, 11:41 Creston

"Don't trust your apps!" reads one road sign in Fremont, a city of 225,000 people just north of San Jose

"Instead, stand in traffic like we want you to, and waste time and gas!"

Today, many planners say the only alternative cities have is by physically changing street layouts

Or, you know, maybe fix the actual bottleneck? WHAT I NEVER

News Comments > Post-Release Mass Effect Andromeda MP Maps Free
1. Re: Post-Release Mass Effect Andromeda MP Maps Free Mar 7, 2017, 11:39 Creston

Good. The free DLC for ME3 MP extended its life tremendously, and a lot of them were just awesome. They made some great maps and classes and getting for free was just great.

Now I just hope that they stop the nonsensical "Every class and every power and every gun must be balanced to every single other class/power/gun" balancing crap they were doing in ME3, all because five vocal people kept demanding it be so "for the longevity of the game."

Getting a cool gun/power and having it be nerfed completely into oblivion a week later because of some bleaters really got annoying. (Yes, some guns were truly OP and needed to be scaled down, but there's a difference between scaling it down, and instantly making it go from the gun that everybody uses to the gun that literally nobody picks because it's become unusable.)

It's co-op MP. Not everything has to be exactly the same power level as everything else.

News Comments > BattleTech Beta Delay and Release Date Outlook
7. Re: BattleTech Beta Delay and Release Date Outlook Mar 7, 2017, 11:35 Creston

We decided it was best to stop the crunch and focus on finishing the infrastructure and editor work before reviewing our quality level and reassessing the target date for the Backer Beta.

Yes. Working your people half to death should NEVER be the answer.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 6, 2017, 21:23 Creston

xXStellarDadXx wrote on Mar 6, 2017, 11:41:
Not sure about the Switch yet? Just watch thy Angry Joe review

Damn, that is a cheap piece of hardware. Everything about it just screams "we literally spent 10 cents on this!"

That dock is just absolutely retarded. That's shittier than an Ouya.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 6, 2017, 20:52 Creston

"Coming in 24 months! Your cap will be 50GB, with every GB after that 10$. Also, Netflix will be speed capped at 128kb/s unless they pay us $295 per movie they stream on our pipes. BEHOLD THE WONDERS OUR FREE MARKET HAS GIVEN YOU! VIVE TRUMP! VIVE AJIT PAI!"

News Comments > Dawn of War III in April
6. Re: Dawn of War III in April Mar 6, 2017, 20:49 Creston

Only 3 races, only 4 worlds, and a combination campaign.

Nothing about this screams "GET IT GET IT GET IT!" to me.

News Comments > Conan Exiles Sales Success; Future Plans Outlined
3. Re: Conan Exiles Sales Success; Future Plans Outlined Mar 6, 2017, 20:47 Creston

Whoa, another 5 to 10 million? Man!

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 6, 2017, 09:45 Creston

I really like Nintendo's attitude towards dead pixels. "Rather than see them as dead pixels, think of them as not actually being an issue."

I mean, it may genuinely beat Sony's "The PS3 is super expensive, but we think people will work harder because they want one!" retardery.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2017, 14:32 Creston

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 5, 2017, 14:21:
Should we call in a wellness check on nin? last post was Feb 22.
Or maybe blue is using his van for the move.

I was just thinking yesterday that I hadn't seen him in a while. nin, wake up, buddy!

As for moviegoers wanting more R-Rated superhero films: Fucking DUH, Hollywood.

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 2017, 14:43.

News Comments > Game Reviews
11. Re: Game Reviews Mar 5, 2017, 10:53 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Mar 5, 2017, 04:54:
Creston wrote on Mar 4, 2017, 21:33:
Yeah, maybe you could have spent five minutes learning what Planescape Torment was, so you wouldn't be so confused by a SUCCESSOR to that game? Imbecile.

Wait, isn't this a spiritual successor? Why should playing the Planescape matter at all, except for being a similar style game?

Which is exactly what the "reviewer" is bitching about. "Man, this game is all like... words and shit!"

Oh, you mean like Planescape Torment was all like words and shit?

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Videos
19. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Videos Mar 4, 2017, 21:49 Creston

MacLeod wrote on Mar 4, 2017, 16:20:
Correcting myself. Ships can travel FTL without Mass Relays. But that doesn't really let you get across the galaxy like with Mass Relays. The Relays basically open up mass-free corridors between two points that allow for instantaneous travel. FTL drives allow you to fly around within a solar system lets say without it taking years to get between planets.

Correct on the distinction between the two, but I don't think the Mass Effect gates are instantaneous. Some time passes as you travel through them.

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Videos
18. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Videos Mar 4, 2017, 21:45 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 4, 2017, 13:11:
So ME3 wasn't in any a place they could continue from with this story

Well, no, obviously. The whole reason they're going to Andromeda is because Mac Walters completely and utterly fucking ruined the Milky Way galaxy for any further stories with his bullshit writing. They're essentially hitting the Mother Of All Reset Buttons. (Even Brannon Braga is going "Damn, that's a big-ass reset button!" when he sees Andromeda.)

In any case, yes, they're heavily going against their own lore with the idea of an intergalactic FTL ship based on Mass Effect technology, because their lore specifically states that it's impossible. But retconning their own lore is called Tuesday at Bioware. (and the whole experimental drive that uses the static buildup to power their own systems, please. So they've now invented perpetual motion?)

But leaving those stupid writing gaffes aside, I'm still very excited for Andromeda.

28524 Comments. 1427 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo