Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 28207 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Free Content
13. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 7, 2017, 01:12 Creston

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jan 7, 2017, 01:00:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 22:58:
I think starting and ending the game with Illuminati cutscenes but not really resolving anything with the Illuminati in the actual game is what annoyed people.

I wonder if part of the issue is that the original Deus Ex is far enough in gaming's past now that people either have forgotten its plot and characters, or never played it to begin with. If you know who everyone is in the Illuminati cutscenes in Mankind Divided, then you also know that Adam Jensen isn't actually ever going to unmask and destroy them, because with one exception they're all around in Deus Ex, still doing Illuminati-type things. With that in mind, you expect Jensen to perhaps foil an Illuminati plot or two, but that by game's end, they'll still be out there, influencing world events from the shadows. Given that that's exactly what happens, it didn't feel like half an ending to me. If on the other hand, names like Bob Page, Lucius DeBeers, and Joseph Manderley don't mean anything to you, then I could see how some players might end up with the impression that Jensen is actually going to defeat them personally, and be disappointed when he doesn't.

Very well said.

Btw, the books are pretty good. Cool free swag.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Zombies wiping out humans in 100 days Jan 6, 2017, 19:16 Creston

What the fuck ever. Maybe the fast, aggressive ones from 28 Days or something, but the Walking Dead ones? Please. Every time that show shows an army base overrun by zombies I just roll my eyes. Guys with .50 cal stationary machine guns and nigh infinite ammo getting overrun by things that slowly shuffle towards you. Okay...

For that matter, zombies in the entire US would just get shot to shit before it could ever get out of hand. There'd be far more worry about trigger-happy good ole' boys murdering half the population "'CAWS IT SHOOR LOOKT LIKE ONE OF DEM DERE ZOMBIERS TO ME!"

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin
39. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 6, 2017, 19:12 Creston

Mass Effect 2 is a fantastic game. If you've never played it, please grab it and play it. It is AWESOME.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 6, 2017, 19:11 Creston

If only we could make our president-elect smart with a simple camera...

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda in March
55. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 6, 2017, 16:45 Creston

Redmask wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 16:46:
Creston wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 12:46:
There are, by reports, like 12+ full planets you can investigate and several small outpost like sections, so where that's concerned it should be fine. Also, ME1 had just as much combat as ME2/3, it was just shitty combat versus decent combat, so eh.

Wait for reviews. I'm planning on getting it day one, so I will post a review a few days later.

The real question is, did they just DA:I this game? I saw a lot of "collect resources and upgrade your stuffs!" bullshit in the previous trailers. What do you think of this game so far?

Yeah that's what I'm worried about too. Though Bioware has been asked that question multiple times in interviews, and they say they learned from DA:I in that respect, and it doesn't have it near as much. Whether that's true or not, nobody can really say until the game is out, of course.

To be honest, the "Gather 500 of these" in every map stuff in DA:I didn't really bother me, as I tend to visit every nook and cranny of a map anyway, and thus will pick all that stuff up as I walk past it. It was also very easy to ignore, as you didn't even really get that much cool stuff from it.

Other than that, I think Andromeda looks very good. But I'm a HUGE ME fan, (Huge. Yuuuuuuuge! Like, the biggest fan!) so take that as you will.

News Comments > GeForce Now Streaming Announced
54. Re: GeForce Now Streaming Announced Jan 6, 2017, 16:40 Creston

Dev wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 01:47:
Creston wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 15:20:
And no matter how many words they underline in their press blurb, it's not going to change that reality.
To be fair, each of those is a link. You didn't do that in yours

I can only put in so much effort to be snarky.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 6, 2017, 12:15 Creston

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 10:45:
Is the PS4 that much better of a console or is Andromeda intentionally gimped on the xbone?

The former. The PS4 has like 30% (IIRC) more graphics oomph than the hilariously underpowered xbone.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 6, 2017, 12:14 Creston

TangledThorns wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 10:47:
Mass Effect: Andromeda Is 30fps 1080p On PS4, 900p On Xbox One, 60fps/4K on PC Headbang

Feel teh power of next-gen!

At least so far we haven't heard any of their "This is a PC Game built by PC Gamers!" bullshit like they kept spewing with DA:I.

43. Re: GeForce Now Streaming Announced Jan 5, 2017, 15:51 Creston

Agent-Zero wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 15:36:
yeh packet loss is a given, but even if was 100% the raw speed on the networks is too shitty already for any kind of stable connections for such high bandwidth

the only way around this is some kind of direct connection to the cloud with some kind of superspeed wireless tech... which is definitely possible but not going to happen anytime soon

I'm kind of curious how this tech works in Korea. Their entire country is basically on Gbps+, so if it'd work anywhere, it'd work there. I'm thinking it'd still look pretty bad though.

40. Re: GeForce Now Streaming Announced Jan 5, 2017, 15:23 Creston

El Pit wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 14:22:
One day, when 1 Gbps will be available pretty much everywhere... This might happen within a decade.

Hahaha.

39. Re: GeForce Now Streaming Announced Jan 5, 2017, 15:20 Creston

Agent-Zero wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 13:49:
Creston wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 11:41:
Choachy wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 11:12:
I can see this definitely having a use for someone like myself who loves to game, but can't always stay on the latest hardware. For example, I just upgraded about 6 months ago from my well used GeForce 560 to a 960.

Note that their idea of "crystal-clear 1080p 60FPS" is bs.

no shit, i wish someone would go ahead and do the math on this because its easy enough to find out.. but seriously, 60 frames per second of 1920x1080 images is a pretty significant amount of data streaming in/out per minute, then you have all the input data coming upstream simultaneously

ive got 300mbps down, so its certainly theoretically possible - but whats the reality of it? ive never been able to max out that connection or come even close, even when I try to.. the backbones of the internet itself just arent serving up data nearly fast enough

Yeah it's just never going to work. The very simple fact that packet loss exists on a TCP/IP switched network means that their crystal-clear stream is going to drop packets, which means you get graphical artifacts. Certainly if you're on 300mbps and 20ms away from their server, it'll be limited, but it'll still be there. If you're on a 25mpbs connection and 20 hops away? Heh.

So they want you to pay 8 bucks a month to see a game in all its glory on a GTX1080, but the internet is going to turn that pretty 1080p all bells and whistles stream into the equivalent of medium settings at 1680x1050. And no matter how many words they underline in their press blurb, it's not going to change that reality.

37. Re: GeForce Now Streaming Announced Jan 5, 2017, 14:51 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 13:47:
Tech has improved, and so has internet infrastructure (somewhat).

Except it... really hasn't. The shitty infrastructure we had in 2012 is the same shitty infrastructure we have now. Big Telcos invest basically pennies on the dollar in their infrastructure, because they are monopolies and they don't have to.

Also, those older services wanted you to buy your games from them only, a dealbreaker. This system appears to let you use games you've already bought.

Yay! That's... better?

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
7. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 5, 2017, 14:49 Creston

Creston threatens to never buy an LG device again.

25. Re: GeForce Now Streaming Announced Jan 5, 2017, 13:04 Creston

Suppa7 wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 12:46:
The last need for speed was always online and most new titles have internet connection required.

Most new titles? That's a bit exaggerated, I'd say. Most new games can still be played offline. There may be online components to them but those are voluntary, not compulsary.

Sure, there are always-on DRM games, but they still face backlash from being so, and most devs/publisher still shy away from it.

In the end, as long as people keep voting with their wallet, this stuff won't take over.

34. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 12:46 Creston

NamecaF wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 00:33:
Have you seen the "gameplay" trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOIzH6UcoW4

It looks like shit. They go all the way to another freaking GALAXY and you're still running into the same alien races from the first lot of games?

Again, if you paid attention for more than five seconds, you'd realize they say that the city Ryder visits is the city where all the outcasts from the Nexus wound up. The nexus being sort of like the hub where all the milky way races wind up. So yeah, it kind of makes sense that you'd run into milky way races there.

And why are they all against each other if they went there on the same ship?

They didn't. Each race sent their own ark ships.

I was hoping for all new races and stories, but this just looks like the same ol' shite from ME2 and 3.

There will only be 1 new race, and it's just the adversary, so yeah, that's pretty disappointing. Then again, the only reason they go to Andromeda is because Mac Walters wrote them into a corner and it's the only way they can get out from under the Reaper bullshit.

I was also hoping for more of a return to the first game; with the emphasis on exploration, story, role playing, etc. and less on the constant gunplay and combat every 15 seconds. I mean, honestly, it's like "Michael Bay" came and took over on the sequels.

There are, by reports, like 12+ full planets you can investigate and several small outpost like sections, so where that's concerned it should be fine. Also, ME1 had just as much combat as ME2/3, it was just shitty combat versus decent combat, so eh.

Wait for reviews. I'm planning on getting it day one, so I will post a review a few days later.

33. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 12:38 Creston

Whooooo!  

News Comments > Forza Horizon 3 Patch Glitch
1. Re: Forza Horizon 3 Patch Glitch Jan 5, 2017, 11:50 Creston

Oopsies! Sorry about your data cap being fucked this month!

Love,

Microsoft.

20. Re: GeForce Now Streaming Announced Jan 5, 2017, 11:44 Creston

chickenboo wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 11:40:
Personally, I think eventually all gaming will be cloud-hosted.

Won't happen. Publishers jizz all over themselves thinking about it, but it's just not going to happen. Nobody bothered to go onto OnLive or Gaikai, few people are bothering with Sony's implementation of Gaikai, and devs will always stay where the players are, which is on dedicated machines.

SOME games may switch to completely cloud-hosted models (something like LoL would probably work reasonably well) but there will always be devs who make games that are played at home.

19. Re: GeForce Now Streaming Announced Jan 5, 2017, 11:41 Creston

Choachy wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 11:12:
I can see this definitely having a use for someone like myself who loves to game, but can't always stay on the latest hardware. For example, I just upgraded about 6 months ago from my well used GeForce 560 to a 960.

Note that their idea of "crystal-clear 1080p 60FPS" is bs. OnLive claimed the same thing, and in reality, because of the way the internet works, your stream is constantly going to be losing data, and thus you're not going to be looking at a crystal clear 1080p. In reality, you'll be lucky if you're looking at the equivalent of 720p.

Plus I travel a lot. Being able to take a decent work laptop and still play some games on a streamed high end system would be sweet. Finding reliable bandwidth while travelling would be the bigger problem.

Yeah, good luck trying to do this over hotel wifi. Or any wifi. If you're travelling and you can find a dedicated 50mbps+ fiber connection, great. Anything else, and you're playing a terribly inferior product.

Don't get me wrong, the fact that this works (worked) at all blows me away, but I tried OnLive at my work's (at the time) 300Mbps full-fiber connection, and while the gameplay was decent, if a tad laggy, the graphics were absolutely horrible.

Beamer wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 11:25:
The hotels I've stayed in have had 2 or 3 tiers of internet, with some promising an actual real, fast connection.

I once signed up for one of those real, fast connections. Paid 10 bucks, because I was bored and wanted to watch some Netflix. It barely was able to stream in HD. In the end, it's not as if the hotel is paying for multiple provisions. They just do a QoS priority on their router for the people who pay. It still gets delivered over their already overworked router and their shitty wifi. It just gets you (a bit) more bandwidth.

15. Re: GeForce Now Streaming Announced Jan 5, 2017, 11:15 Creston

"Do you guys remember OnLive? And Gaikai? Remember how excited you were? What? You weren't excited? At all? Oh... Uhhm... well... we're bringing the same shit back! WOOT!"

28207 Comments. 1411 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo