Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 29186 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout 4 Review Fallout
40. Re: Fallout 4 Review Fallout Sep 21, 2017, 14:46 Creston

Orogogus wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 18:55:
I don't know about review bombs, but a search for Amazon joke reviews on Google turns up a Cracked article dated 2010, and the first three products from that article that I checked still have the joke reviews up. And a search for fake Amazon reviews shows two sites dedicated to identifying botted reviews. It doesn't seem like their system is working that well.

I think if you don't complain, Amazon doesn't unilaterally remove reviews. But if you DO complain, they remove them. I've never had any issues getting Amazon to remove bullshit reviews.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn Rises
6. Re: Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn Rises Sep 21, 2017, 14:33 Creston

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 21, 2017, 12:51:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 21, 2017, 12:42:
Should make the star trek TC much easier for the developers, especially with the ability to assimilate pops built into the base game now.

New Horizons? That would make the Borg better but I think they are focusing on spit and polish right now.

How is New Horizons? Is it playable start to finish now? I've really been holding off playing this until that TC is done.

28. Re: Fallout 4 Review Fallout Sep 20, 2017, 18:08 Creston

Orogogus wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 15:42:
I feel like you harp on this a lot, but the absolute least amount of work would be what everyone else is doing. Steam's terrible until you use anything else.

Steam also out-earns everyone else by at least a factor of a thousand. They SHOULD be held to a higher standard. I'd also like to point out that review bombs have been an issue for years, and Valve only finally did something (tiny) about it when Bethesda got hit.

The talk of what they should be doing seems like pie in the sky stuff that no one, in or out of the video game industry is doing. What are storefronts like Amazon or Wal-Mart doing to protect review integrity that's not being done here? Well, they have report buttons, but I kind of doubt that will solve anything since Steam customers won't agree on what should be removed.

I can't argue about Walmart since I never go there, but Amazon often removes bullshit reviews that have nothing to do with the product in question, or are just bitching about something that is unrelated to the actual operation of the product in question. Product owners can fairly easily get Amazon to look at reviews they think is unfair, and if Amazon's rep agrees, the reviewer (I believe) gets contacted to see if they wish to amend their review, and otherwise said review gets deleted.

And it's not as if Amazon is small fry compared to Steam either. Amazon has hundreds of people doing just that: guarding the integrity of their review system.

I guess Valve, because they're Valve, and they once made a great game, doesn't have to do the same, despite the fact that they're the clear market leader.

Again, I don't really care either way, I find Steam reviews to be as useful as a dingleberry. I'm just arguing to get through a boring day at work. But it just baffles me how little effort Valve actually puts into almost anything with Steam. Are they really this lazy?

27. Re: Fallout 4 Review Fallout Sep 20, 2017, 18:00 Creston

El Pit wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 15:27:
Creston wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 15:11:
Nullity wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 13:49:
When developers/publishers do something shitty and blatantly anti-consumer that negatively impacts the use of their games and related communities, they should absolutely be called out on it.

How is the existence of the creators' club negatively affecting your use of Fallout 4 and its related communities? Confused

Creston, WOULD YOU KINDLY develop and publish a game on Steam so that I can review-bomb you to give you an appropriate answer to your outrageous question. Just posting my opinion in the Steam community is not good enough to make you understand my point. Thank you in advance for your game that I will review-bomb no matter how good it will be.

What?

21. Re: Fallout 4 Review Fallout Sep 20, 2017, 15:11 Creston

Nullity wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 13:49:
When developers/publishers do something shitty and blatantly anti-consumer that negatively impacts the use of their games and related communities, they should absolutely be called out on it.

How is the existence of the creators' club negatively affecting your use of Fallout 4 and its related communities? Confused

20. Re: Fallout 4 Review Fallout Sep 20, 2017, 15:10 Creston

chickenboo wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 13:10:
OK but now you just read some recent reviews, see a bunch of people saying "paid mods is bullshit" "don't support this publisher over the paid mods fiasco" and connect the dots: graph shows recent negative reviews, recent negative reviews speak about paid mods. Then you decide if you care or not, and then you buy the game. Or not.

Damn, you act like you need to be spoonfed everything

I don't give one shit about Steam reviews, or review bombing, or whatever. Steam reviews are literally worth nothing. I'm just pointing out that Valve took the path of the absolute least amount of work done by them while pretending they made all these glorious changes. Also, you seem to be in the belief that review bombs are somehow either literate or make sense, when in 99% of cases they are neither. Most of them are "BETESDA IS TEH SUXXXXXXLULZ!"

So yeah, seeing a little graph that shows that there are a lot of those in a particular timeframe is really going to solve that problem.

Again, I don't care. But if Valve wants to pretend its reviews are somehow worth a damn, they really should try to put some more checks and balances into the system rather than add some code that shows a fucking chart and that's it.

10. Re: Fallout 4 Review Fallout Sep 20, 2017, 12:48 Creston

Dacote wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 12:35:
So you're saying you would trust Valves reasoning for the dips or rises instead of reading the actual reviews themselves.

True, but the actual reviews themselves rarely bring up the fact that it's a bomb for purpose so and so. 99% of them are just "MAN FUCK THIS COMPANY"

Putting a link there at least puts some context to it, but at the same time, it's true that that inherently creates an effect where they are determining that THAT is the reason.

What you bring up has it's pros and cons. Entitled whiny review bombers have short memory's and quickly move on the the next big thing to get "upset" about. But if the review Graph keeps reminding them of some perceived slight, it will never go away and the reviews will be worth less than they already are. IMHO

I doubt anyone gives a shit, unfortunately.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 20, 2017, 12:35 Creston

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 19, 2017, 21:13:
The good news is Google followed suit with the new Pixel pricing.

They want to make absolutely sure they will sell none of them.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2017, 12:31 Creston

Agent.X7 wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 12:09:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 10:33:
The insanity of this could only exist in the USA..

Only in California.

Oh God, no. This kind of ludicrous shit is practically a daily occurrence in Holland. There has been a long-standing joke in Holland that the perpetrator of a violent crime will get years and years of financial aid and counseling and help, while the victim of said crime is told to quickly go away and die and to stop being a drain on the health care system.

I guess it was only a matter of time before that idiot-gene made its way over the pond to here.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 20, 2017, 12:26 Creston

Oh good, so he got zero months of jail. That's even better!

One time lapses in judgment put people in jail for possessing 2 grams of TEH WEED, but hey, if you were extorting people, that's just perfectly fine.

7. Re: Fallout 4 Review Fallout Sep 20, 2017, 12:22 Creston

Dacote wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 11:44:
That's always been the purpose of reading reviews, you occasionally have to get off your ass and do some research. Steam has made it easier by doing some of the research in advance.

Yeah, no? The point of a review is to help me decide if I want to buy something. Showing me a graph that tells me "Hey, for some reason there's now some negative stuff about this game that's causing negative reviews" without any kind of context whatsoever is about as useful as a tit on a wallet.

But hey, at least all Valve had to do was put in 20 lines of code and they were done. So thank God they were spared all that work other actual solutions might have entailed.

At the very least, they could notice something is getting review bombed, and put a little link in the review section that says "This game is getting mostly negative reviews because of {LINK}." But again, that would cause someone to have to wheel his desk over and do something other than making hats.

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Trailer
7. Re: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Trailer Sep 20, 2017, 11:35 Creston

Looks badass, but I didn't really enjoy the first one that much, so eh.

Also, holy crap, what isn't coming out on 10/27??? This is the 3rd AAA game that's being released that day. (Mordor, this and the new AC.)

Brilliant, game industry. Just brilliant. Every year you guys get more and more brilliant.

News Comments > Steam User Reviews Change
10. Re: Steam User Reviews Change Sep 20, 2017, 11:31 Creston

"We decided to do what is really the least amount of work for us."

Huzzah. Thanks Valve.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 20, 2017, 11:27 Creston

"will get a slap on the wrist and two months in jail."

3. Re: Fallout 4 Review Fallout Sep 20, 2017, 11:25 Creston

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 10:05:
That right there is a fine example of review bombing.
The revised Steam review plan is gonna come in handy.

Not really. I mean, the onus is going to be entirely on the person viewing the reviews to go look at some chart, see that it's gotten a lot of terrible reviews just recently, and then interpret that to mean that it's being review bombed for some reason unrelated to the actual game itself, which in itself is going to require you are aware of what's going on with the game and everything around it.

How many are going to do that, or magically come to the right conclusion? I mean, if you don't know anything about Fallout 4, how do you know that this is because of some backlash over their shitty creators' club, rather than a terrible patch they released? It's going to require legwork on the part of the person viewing that data to come to the right conclusion.

I mean, I guess it beats them doing absolutely nothing, but as far as Valve is concerned, this is the closest they can get to doing absolutely nothing while pretending they're doing something. They'd make absolutely fantastic politicians.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 19, 2017, 17:40 Creston

Verno wrote on Sep 19, 2017, 13:13:
The cutout is fugly, FaceID looks pointless and they don't even include the adapter for fast charging in the goddamn box, you have to pay $60 extra for it. On a $1k phone. Just ridiculous.

Yup. It's like they said "Let's see how far we can take the absurdity."

The sad thing is, people are practically jizzing all over themselves at the thought of getting to spend a thousand bucks on a new phone. Next year Apple should release one for 5 grand.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2017, 12:07 Creston

The Thor 1980s trailer is fantastic. Just so well done. Hahaha.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Video
3. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Video Sep 19, 2017, 11:43 Creston

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Sep 19, 2017, 10:55:
really trying to promote the shit out of this aren't they?

Those loot boxes aren't going to buy themselves.

News Comments > Left Alive Announced
3. Re: Left Alive Announced Sep 19, 2017, 11:42 Creston

Pointless video is pointless. But with the mech designer guy on board, I have high hopes for kick-ass mech battles.  

31. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2017, 22:34 Creston

Beamer wrote on Sep 18, 2017, 12:04:
I loved Stranger Things, and found it entertaining, but not necessarily "great," if that makes sense.

You are a bad person, and you should feel bad!

29186 Comments. 1460 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo