Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 29641 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
17. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2017, 13:34 Creston

MajorD wrote on Dec 7, 2017, 00:31:

My bad Creston I read through post too fast, and misunderstood, and was fired up about something else at the time. Mea Culpa

Alrighty, no worries man.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 7, 2017, 13:31 Creston

ForgedReality wrote on Dec 7, 2017, 12:32:
Sorry, but when has Intel or nVidia ever done anything like this?

I meant more in general just doing shitty business practices, though Nvidia did almost the same thing with the GTX970, albeit slightly less blatant.

For Intel, the most blatant thing I can think of off the top of my head that they've been doing recently is putting birdshit TIM in their absurdly expensive processors, all so they can save like 8 cents per die. In the meantime, your temps go up by 20 degrees and your processor probably shortens its lifetime by a few years.

News Comments > Dying Light: Bad Blood Battle Royale Expansion
8. Re: Dying Light: Bad Blood Battle Royale Expansion Dec 7, 2017, 13:24 Creston

Phasenoise wrote on Dec 7, 2017, 12:32:
It's a "standalone expansion", which I would take to mean they are reworking a lot of stuff for PvP in a way which is completely separate from the main game.
I'd also assume that would mean there is no shared character.

Ah, you're right, I missed the stand-alone part.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 7, 2017, 11:58 Creston

An open case is always going to make more noise than a closed one, unless that closed one has absolutely shit airflow.

You can get sound-dampening cases now, which work pretty darn well.

I definitely recommend the MSI cards. Their TwinFrozr solution is fantastic. I'm never buying another brand again.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 7, 2017, 11:54 Creston

This is an absolute bullshit move by AMD, and their little handwringing explanation that they will force their AIB partners to be more clear about shit doesn't take away the fact that they gimped their card and are still trying to sell it for the same price.

Anyone who bought the gimped card has a VERY easy bait and switch lawsuit win waiting for them.

Hey, AMD? It used to be that when you wanted to release more RX5xx options, you'd give that gimped card a different name, so as to make it clear that it was different. The fact that you didn't do that just shows you're trying to cheat people.

Thanks for turning into Intel/Nvidia.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2017, 13:32.

News Comments > Dying Light: Bad Blood Battle Royale Expansion
4. Re: Dying Light: Bad Blood Battle Royale Expansion Dec 7, 2017, 11:50 Creston

I LOVE Dying Light, but this just makes me go "Errr, what?"

First off, anyone who is Legend lvl 250 will make mincemeat out of you if you're substantially lower than that, so everyone get ready to grind Stuffed Turtle for ~ 90 hours to get to 250.

And the entire skill set / weapon set is not really designed for PvP. Everyone at that level will have a 32K damage shotgun which one-hit-kills everything, and melee would just be frantically click until you hopefully last longer than your opponent who is also just frantically button mashing.

It seems an odd decision, but hey, let's all jump on the PUBG bandwagon! PUBG IS THE NEW MOBA!

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 6, 2017, 23:40 Creston

MajorD wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 17:41:
Creston wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 17:36:
Flo wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 16:20:
this, I will never forgive Sony for this. Say what you will but Microsoft knows its security and they never had a major incident like this.

Ahem

Cough

Hurgh

etc etc etc.

All other things you said, sure. It's a nice box.

Yeah, because Microsoft is the 'ONLY' company the suffers from these breach issues. Rolleyes

Where do I say that? Flo said Microsoft had never suffered from these issues, which is laughable, so I linked just the first three I found in a 5 second google search.

But that sure is a nice little straw man you're rolling your eyes at there.

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 6, 2017, 23:37 Creston

HoSpanky wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 23:27:
The 1080 has the same amount of ram as the 1070ti. it's the 1080ti that has the extra 3gb.

Oh, you're right, my bad. So other than a few compute units, the 1070ti is basically a 1080. I'm glad I didn't pay the ~ $90 markup for a 1080 MSI Gaming...

I thought I'd read the 1070tis were locked down, but maybe I was wrong. Glad to hear the MSI cooler is quiet. I have a 1080 from EVGA, and it's also quiet when gaming. Maybe not as quiet as the MSI, tho.

Yep, they overclock by about 10%

I've also seen reviews, can't find them so quickly, that some specific tis were pushed beyond 1080 clock rates.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 6, 2017, 22:21 Creston

If I was a billionaire, and I'd somehow managed to not turn into a complete fucking sociopath, like every other billionaire, as soon as Ajit Pai killed the Internet, I'd buy all the internet access in his area, then subject him to worst fucking misery imaginable on his internet access.

And when he'd inevitably complain, I'd laugh and tell him that this was all perfectly legal.

Oh, it's a pleasant thought. Maybe we'll still get lucky and he'll get hit by a fucking bus. Subject 400 million people to shit just so you can make a paycheck... Calling him a Nazi seems to be cruel to the Nazis.

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 6, 2017, 22:18 Creston

HoSpanky wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 21:49:
I don't get why EVGA has so many 1070ti models....they can't bump up the speeds on them, Nvidia locked that down so you can't push a 1070ti faster than a 1080.

? I think you can. They just don't want them clocked that way straight out of the gate.

The big advantage a 1080 has over a 1070ti is that it has 3GB more memory, but other than that, the 1070ti is a goddamn monster of a card. I got the MSI Gaming one, and the thing is COMPLETELY quiet. I'm not being hyperbolic. It is COMPLETELY quiet. While I'm playing a game, I can't hear it. Right now while I'm on the web, I can't hear it.

I turned the fan to 100% to see what it'd sound like, and it's literally barely a whisper. It is AMAZING how quiet they made that thing, especially considering the heatsink weighs like 9000 lbs. (I was seriously worried about the weight of that card hanging in that PCI-E slot. It's the heaviest graphics card I've ever owned.)

My old GTX970 (by EVGA, coincidentally) is a fucking twin-turbo vacuum cleaner compared to the 1070ti.

News Comments > Valve Cashing Out of Bitcoin
7. Re: Valve Cashing Out of Bitcoin Dec 6, 2017, 22:14 Creston

Huh, I'd totally forgotten you could use Bitcoin on Valve. What they're saying makes sense, though.

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 6, 2017, 17:36 Creston

Flo wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 16:20:
this, I will never forgive Sony for this. Say what you will but Microsoft knows its security and they never had a major incident like this.

Ahem

Cough

Hurgh

etc etc etc.

All other things you said, sure. It's a nice box.

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 6, 2017, 10:53 Creston

1) It's cheaper
2) It has better exclusive games.
3-6) ???
7) Profit!

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 6, 2017, 10:49 Creston

That seems like a classic bait and switch?

News Comments > The Battle for Star Control Continues
9. Re: The Battle for Star Control Continues Dec 6, 2017, 10:47 Creston

Ah, I see what you're saying.

Yeah I don't get the hate for the new Xcoms either. They're awesome games, and exist quite happily alongside the old ones. People are weird.

7. Re: The Battle for Star Control Continues Dec 6, 2017, 09:34 Creston

I think Paul and Fred need to just shut up now, and get back to work. I don't even understand why they're being so obstinate about this, as Wardell has made it clear multiple times that they're getting their royalties.

6. Re: The Battle for Star Control Continues Dec 6, 2017, 09:33 Creston

Beamer wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 08:21:
Numinar wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 08:07:
a game willing to let you fail after dozens of hours invested, like the OG Xcom. Absolute classic.

Have you played the new XCOMs? They do that, too?

Fail after dozens of hours? Oh shit yeah. That Avatar clock is merciless, as are the Chosen. When they come to attack your base, and you don't have a force capable of stopping them, they will gank you and it's bye bye. And this can happen after an easy 20 to 30 hours (it takes a while anyway, since the Chosen have to build up intel before they track down your base.)

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2017, 16:48 Creston

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 5, 2017, 15:15:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 5, 2017, 14:21:
Almost 30k under mandatory evacuation. California is on fire again.
But the warm winters are great, right?

Someone call Bob, ask him how the fire's doing, and if there's room for all the rest of us to move over there yet.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2017, 16:47 Creston

A Fribble?

News Comments > Bossa Studios Making AI Push
12. Re: Bossa Studios Making AI Push Dec 5, 2017, 15:20 Creston

if(lady_alien && skin == GREEN)
{
stickTongueDownCaptainsThroat();
}
else if(blob_alien)
{
killRedGuy();
}
PlayVoiceOVer(Bones1)"Dammit! He's dead, Jim!"
{

29641 Comments. 1483 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo