Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 28620 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
24. Re: Morning Metaverse May 17, 2017, 20:07 Creston

Flatline wrote on May 17, 2017, 15:53:
A fantasy setting where you have plenty of T&A and sex, but you also have a very morally ambiguous setting that isn't grimdark like Westeros. You can have all of the intrigue and backstabbing and unsympathetic protagonists and sympathetic antagonists without the over the top grimness of Game of Thrones.

You don't find the world of the Witcher grim as fuck? I mean, you can easily make an argument that it's more grim than Game of Thrones.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Morning Metaverse May 17, 2017, 20:05 Creston

Beamer wrote on May 17, 2017, 14:31:
When you think of a great book translated well elsewhere, the top pick would likely be Game of Thrones. Except George RR Martin was a TV writer for three and a half decades, so he understands TV. Otherwise? Movies and television are often better when the author is removed.

Plus GoT has gotten substantially better now they are no longer forced to pay attention to GRRM's endless "I can wring 16 more books out of this story!" bullshit.

22. Re: Morning Metaverse May 17, 2017, 20:04 Creston

Bundy wrote on May 17, 2017, 14:11:
It's the same thing in the game, is it not? Ciri was perpetually the princess in the other castle. By the time you finally find out where she was and I reached that cabin, I was totally at the point of, "if she's not here, I'm deleting this fucking game!"

That's actually fair enough, but you do chase her to different areas, and find out what happened to her there, then chase down the next lead. None of this happens in the book. Geralt hears that Ciri is in Nilfgaard for "reasons", and then spends the next 3 books trying to get to Nilfgaard to save her, without ever actually getting anywhere NEAR fucking Nilfgaard. He just sort of meanders about.

Also, Ciri is never in Nilfgaard to begin with, which you as the reader know, so these three books are dedicated to getting Geralt someplace that you, as the reader, already know he's never going to get, or IF he gets there, will serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever.

The latter books feel very "made up as he went along" kind of writing to me.

That said, the characters in it are very good, and it's actually cool to see the origins of some of the Witcher's finest characters. It just misses... I dunno... the swagger of the Witcher in the game.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black May 17, 2017, 14:27 Creston

It is impossible to make movies worse, as they are already unbelievable garbage.

But maybe Hollywood can remake another movie that came out in 2014. I'm sure THIS time it'll be good!

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 17, 2017, 13:51 Creston

I like how they call it "over-charging" as opposed to "blatant theft" which is what it really is.

10. Re: Morning Metaverse May 17, 2017, 13:49 Creston

VaranDragon wrote on May 17, 2017, 12:06:
That doesn't mean that the source material is bullshit, or that the author who wrote them is a hack.

Neither I nor Beamer said that. However, the reason the Witcher is as mega popular as it is now is because of the games, not because of the books (at least outside of Poland.)

The books are... okay. The short stories series are pretty good, but the big Geralt & Ciri storyline has a shit ton of pacing issues, dead space, Geralt whining, and basically Geralt's entire motivation for 3 books is "must get to Nilfgaard to get Ciri!" basically off a rumor he heard, and then during those 3 books, he really never gets much closer to getting there.

Compare that to the Witcher 3, and it is just substantially better paced, written and far more interesting. Witcher 3's Geralt is an utter badass.

Basically what I'm saying is, I hope the TV series is based off of Witcher 3's Geralt, and not off Book Geralt.

8. Re: Morning Metaverse May 17, 2017, 12:00 Creston

VaranDragon wrote on May 17, 2017, 11:52:
Beamer wrote on May 17, 2017, 11:51:
Red wrote on May 17, 2017, 11:44:
Acleacius wrote on May 17, 2017, 10:56:
I'm not sure whether to laugh or be horrified.
Depends on how big Adam Sandler's role in it is.

Oh man, I really kind of hate you right now, hahahahahahaha.

But the author is more involved than the games, and he isn't a fan of the games, yet I think TW3 probably has the best characters, or world, or something, of any game I've played, so I think not having him involved had to have been a benefit.

Please not this shit again. Have you read the books? The games follow the books VERY closely. Just because the author declined to be involved in the production of the games, doesn't mean that CD Project RED didn't have great respect for the source material.

Eh, the game features substantially better writing than his books, so :-shrug-:

In books 4, 5 and 6, after that mage kicks the shit out of him and crushes his leg Geralt is basically a whiny old man who constantly complains that his leg hurts.

Game Geralt >>>>>>>> Book Geralt.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Trailer
1. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Trailer May 17, 2017, 11:57 Creston

Looks good

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: Op Ed May 17, 2017, 09:28 Creston

Kajetan wrote on May 17, 2017, 08:03:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 17, 2017, 07:53:
... pricing model(30% fee on sales) ...
This i dont get.

30% may seem much, but Steam offers a developer exposure to a GIANT, WORLDWIDE customer base, which is only achievable with a marketing budget even the majors can afford often. If ever.

Not just that, but they provide you with multiplayer functionality, DRM (if you so choose), infinite bandwidth and seamless update functionality.

All of that costs money. Bandwidth alone is a pretty significant chunk at the absurd prices the US Mafia ISPs charge for it.

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials Reveal Far Cry 5 and The Crew 2
18. Re: Ubisoft Financials Reveal Far Cry 5 and The Crew 2 May 17, 2017, 09:21 Creston

Redmask wrote on May 17, 2017, 07:48:
Ubisoft has made a factory operation out of generic open world games, they're the fucking acme widget makers of this industry.

Hahahaha. I mean, you're not wrong.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed May 16, 2017, 20:59 Creston

#THEHOTTESTTAKESONLYATPOLYGON

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials Reveal Far Cry 5 and The Crew 2
5. Re: Ubisoft Financials Reveal Far Cry 5 and The Crew 2 May 16, 2017, 20:57 Creston

If these new Far Cry adventures are genuinely new, then yes.

As for the Crew 2, I got the Crew for free and wound up enjoying it a LOT more than I thought I would, so if they build an even cooler map, I can see myself sign up.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
12. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 15, 2017, 21:53 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on May 15, 2017, 18:07:
The joke is had you actually thought about it for a second you'd have come up with a far cheaper and faster solution that even stupid end users can use, external HDD. (Although some of em might already get confused with more than 1 available drive letter....)

Yeah, except for convenience's sake, everyone leaves that connected, so the encryptor would have just encrypted that as well.

Ps.: your solution would actually be more expensive than just paying the trojan bitcoin fee. (Which I actually find exceptionally low....)

That's assuming that they will actually bother to unlock your files for you. Some do, some don't. Some unlock it, you think you're safe, and then ten days later the encryption comes back, and they demand another fee.

Never pay. If nobody ever paid the fucking fee, this ransomware bullshit would long have since ceased being an issue.

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale May 15, 2017, 13:07 Creston

Agent-Zero wrote on May 14, 2017, 22:38:
tried to make an asian bad-ass type yakuza guy.. dude looked like a half-melted g.i. joe

Haha. The Bioware facial generator strikes again!

3. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 15, 2017, 11:58 Creston

UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on May 15, 2017, 11:24:
Creston wrote on May 15, 2017, 10:54:
Yay NSA.

Also, Dems, you guys promised the same thing when Obama was in the White House, and last year the NSA snooped on 156 million Americans' phone records.

Talk is cheap. DO something.

Oh wait, what am I saying... It's the government. Talking is all they do.

FYI You do realize the Lib Dems they are talking about are the British government variety?

On this side of the pond, I haven't seen any Repubs fixing this problem either.

I just now realized that, when I got around to reading the article. Hehe. :-oops-:

Here in the US, clearly nobody gives a shit about government snooping anymore.

1. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 15, 2017, 10:54 Creston

Yay NSA.

Also, Dems, you guys promised the same thing when Obama was in the White House, and last year the NSA snooped on 156 million Americans' phone records.

Talk is cheap. DO something.

Oh wait, what am I saying... It's the government. Talking is all they do.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance May 12, 2017, 21:50 Creston

Thanks, NSA. You guys are the fucking best. I'm so glad our tax dollars go to your bullshit without any kind of fucking oversight whatsoever.

News Comments > Euro Truck Simulator 2: Heavy Cargo Pack Released
2. Re: Euro Truck Simulator 2: Heavy Cargo Pack Released May 12, 2017, 21:47 Creston

The Half Elf wrote on May 12, 2017, 20:10:
Interesting that the wheels on the cargo carrier turn.

Yeah, I was thinking "That's just cheating!"

It makes sense, without the wheels turning you'd never get that thing around all but the widest corners. Looks cool going around that roundabout, too. Almost like it's drifting.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Sharks May 12, 2017, 11:43 Creston

"You are paddleboarding next to approximately 15 great white sharks. Is poo coming out?"

2. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 12, 2017, 11:38 Creston

"Only Russia's senior-most officials could have authorized the 2016 US election-focused data thefts and disclosures, based on the scope and sensitivity of the targets," said [PDF] Coats.

"Russia has also leveraged cyberspace to seek to influence public opinion across Europe and Eurasia. We assess that Russian cyber operations will continue to target the United States and its allies."

"It's not fair! Only WE should be allowed to do that!"

Pot. Kettle. etc.

President Trump threw his own hat into the ring while the proceedings were going on. He told NBC News that he didn't fire Comey because of the recommendation of his Attorney General, as he told Comey in his dismissal letter. He said that he had always planned to do so.

"He's a showboat, he's grandstander, the FBI has been in turmoil," he said. "You know that, I know that. Everybody knows that."

Rotfl

Pot. Kettle. etc.

28620 Comments. 1431 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo