Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 29736 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > PUBG Looks to Rebound from Rubber Banding
14. Re: PUBG Looks to Rebound from Rubber Banding Dec 28, 2017, 15:45 Creston

Rubberbanding ruins games. They better figure that shit out quick.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Home Alone kid dead Dec 27, 2017, 11:05 Creston

I can't even fathom how much Liquid Plum-R you have to huff to come up with shit like that, but it was pretty entertaining nonetheless.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 27, 2017, 11:00 Creston

Ajit Pai would have demanded the death penalty. That man was depriving poor ISPs of much-earned revenue necessary for their harried existence.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 27, 2017, 08:42 Creston

Pigeon wrote on Dec 26, 2017, 15:29:
So if you turn the shadows off in Shadow of War, I guess that just makes it War.

Hahahahaha. Bravo

News Comments > Star Citizen Squadron 42 Gameplay Video
54. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Gameplay Video Dec 26, 2017, 13:45 Creston

It's funny reading through comments on SC's forum, and a lot of people praising the performance in 3.0, because they get "a steady 20-27 fps".

I wouldn't even want to play Xcom at 27fps, much less try to play a twitchy space / dogfight simulator...

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 26, 2017, 12:40 Creston

Vio wrote on Dec 26, 2017, 12:05:
Why is my computer so slow?! The unnecessary gaming graphics settings you should sacrifice.
What a crap article they make all these claims and have a screenshot made for ants so you can compare pffft.

Not only that, but they basically go "Turn off everything except Anisotropic Filtering, because that's essentially free."

I mean, I'd have gone one step further and told people to game at 320x240. You're sure to get at least 200fps then. (or at least 40 in Star Citizen! HEYOOOOOO!!!)

4. Coma lady Dec 26, 2017, 12:13 Creston

Damn, is someone cutting onions around here?  

News Comments > Christmas Legal Briefs
6. Re: Christmas Legal Briefs Dec 26, 2017, 12:05 Creston

verybad1 wrote on Dec 25, 2017, 14:38:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 25, 2017, 10:33:
Creston wrote on Dec 25, 2017, 10:10:
Thanks, Ajit Pai! Did you get ass cancer yet? No? Shame.
illogical, he can't get what he already is.

It seems incredible I know, but the ass cancer and Ajit Pai! are coalescing into a new form of life!

Oh God, it's Tuvix, isn't it? :\

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 26, 2017, 12:03 Creston

Sepharo wrote on Dec 25, 2017, 21:50:
Quinn wrote on Dec 25, 2017, 20:36:
[...] finish the product they always intended to make [...]

This has never happened in the history of game or software development.

Really? Witcher 3 seems pretty well done.

52. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Gameplay Video Dec 26, 2017, 11:55 Creston

Prez wrote on Dec 26, 2017, 09:49:
For those slagging off the gameplay vid as proving this game is a walking simulator (or helmet-donning simulator if you prefer) and complaining the dog-fight to mission prep time ratio is way skewed towards the boring in my opinion you are clearly missing the point of the vision behind this whole venture. And I say that without a hint of sarcasm. Think of Wing Commander - what REALLY made that game the seminal, iconic space game that it is to this day? Is it the dog-fighting or the space battles? Not really in my opinion. At least not in totality. For me, what made Wing Commander one of my top 3 games of all time (don't think anything will ever beat out X-Com and Homeworld for my 1 and 2 spots) was the little details that led up to the space battles - touring the Tiger's Claw, chatting up the bartender, talking tactics with the other pilots, seeing the empty chair where a pilot WOULD be sitting had they not died last mission fighting a Kilrathi battle cruiser, the cinematic showing the mad scramble to your fighter to repel a surprise Kilrathi attack on the Claw... By the time you got into space you were completely and utterly sold on the experience; everything leading up to the battle had contexualized the experience so that it was exciting, harrowing, and alive. You were THERE. Defending YOUR carrier and home. Trying to keep your wingman alive so you could talk to him again in the Tiger's Claw lounge. Make no mistake - Roberts is a terrible business man and an utterly undisciplined project manager, but in my book his vision is beyond reproach. I pray he ignores each and every one of your complaints as far as the lead up to the action.

Now the complaints about performance... yeah I'm totally with you.

Prez,

More power to you, dude, but that's not why I played Wing Commander. Yeah, walking the Tiger's Claw was fun, the first time I did it. Talking to the companions was fun, the first time I did it and as long as they had new things to say.

But I didn't replay the game like 25 times because of that. I replayed it because of the space battles. You know, the actual gameplay.

Any consecutive playthroughs, I tended to just ignore talking to team mates, or just fast-cycled through their conversations. I already know what they're going to say, so let's just get to the fighting already.

If you prefer to walk along the ship for hours and talk to people for hours, like I said, more power to you. And clearly that seems to be what CR likes to do as well, so you should be well taken care of. To me it seems like WAAAAY too much of it.

Whenever I was on the Tiger's Claw, it took like 5 minutes, then I was out flying again. Here it seems like it would literally take hours before you get to go out again. Hell, you'd probably spend an hour just trying to find the briefing room in that carrier's rat's nest of tunnels.

51. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Gameplay Video Dec 26, 2017, 11:49 Creston

So, some interesting stuff from Chris Roberts:

From the data we see it is not so much about player count but more about WHAT the players are doing. In our internal testing we didn't witness the performance issues that we saw on PTU or Live once thousands of players got in and started doing all sorts of crazy things. Fill up a Caterpillar with cargo, blow it up over an Outpost on a moon and you can bring the clients and servers to their knees (as you've just added hundreds if not thousands of additional objects to simulate). One other common issue that can kill performance is interpenetration of objects as that causes an overload on physics, especially if its on a larger object. An example of this is the Asteroid Mission (which we disabled last night) that was spawning on top or near Olisar and being sucked into the local grid causing all sorts of issues and deadlocks. In addition we need to do a better job of efficiently handling the bigger ships which can bring in thousands of additional elements to update as opposed to the smaller ships that have a lot less items and geometry. Have a bunch of people fly around in Starfarers and Caterpillars and you're straining the clients and server far more than you would be with a bunch of Auroras and Hornets.

We have solutions for all these things, including moving physics to a batch updating model from an asynchronous one which will allow us to scale the physics much better (currently we are limited to only four threads for physics regardless of the cores on a client or server), level of detail updates for objects on the client from the server (don't update or update less frequently when far away, unbind an object from the network if far away from the client's view), Object Container streaming (whole areas of the game are only streamed in when needed on the client, allowing for dramatically less objects on clients) and they are in various stages of progress but they are not something we can complete in a week or two.

If I'm reading him right, right now the engine is loading ALL objects into client memory at FULL detail, no matter how far or whether they're even in view?

I mean, I'm not a programmer, but didn't game devs learn to NOT do that like twenty-five years ago?

News Comments > Destiny 2 Fans Urge Everse Reverse
2. Re: Destiny 2 Fans Urge Everse Reverse Dec 26, 2017, 11:26 Creston

One day we can all say to our grandchildren "Yes, child. I was there the day the lootboxes died."

38. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Gameplay Video Dec 25, 2017, 11:48 Creston

The Good: Beautiful graphics, and the sense of presence, the immersion, is absolutely fantastic. Good voice acting (main character excepted, because he seems terribly monotone), great motion capture. Fucking kick-ass soundtrack. I'd love to buy a copy of that sound track, because it was awesome! So that part of the game, the presentation, is all there.

The Bad:

- Half an hour of walking around that stupidly large carrier vessel. Imagine how long it would even take you to learn your way around that fucking thing? It reminded me of that terrible level in Halo where everything was the same room repeated infinitely. it looked nice for immersion sake, but it would get boring so quickly.

- Waaay too many cutscenes. I want to play a game, not watch it. It seemed like every 10 seconds there was another waffling face just droning on and on about something. There were interesting scenes in there too, but so many empty boring scenes... Hideo Kojima thinks you have too many cutscenes.

Is this going to be what the whole game is going to be like? Just walking around empty corridors at terminally glacial pace, and watching cutscenes for hours on end, with a few five minute sections of actual gameplay interspersed?

- The FPS part looked pretty bog standard, and again, I don't think that's what most people wanted. We wanted another Wing Commander. Not 30 minutes of flying without any action to get to a mediocre FPS part. At least it looked a little more action-filled than the space part, because that was just a snooze fest.

The Ugly:

- That frame rate. It was awful. It's an alpha, so I'm sure it'll improve, but that is not a promising sight, especially since it's a safe bet they played this on a dragon of a PC.

- The UI. God almighty that's bad. Having to hover your mouse over a precise 0.2cm spot for seconds until the context menu pops up. The giant ass letters floating over everything (why not just have a button READ "Engine on/off" instead of having that stupid hover-over?) The terrible dialogue selection menu. Having to click everywhere, on every single thing, to do anything. Who thinks this is fun??

That map in the spaceflight part, shit, it took like a minute of fucking around just to set a new navpoint. Egosoft looks at this UI and goes "Damn, that's a bad UI."

- There was one dogfight and it looked just bad. Just the same old boring "turn in circles until you see the enemy ship, fire at him for two seconds with a shitty pea-shooter weapon, then he zooms past you, you turn in a circle and repeat." Ugh.

- That first part of the FPS section. The guy playing it has obviously played this mission dozens of times, if not hundreds, so he knows what he's doing. But imagine you're walking around this empty ass base, which is huge, and you need to "restore the power." and the way to do it is to scavenge a power supply from the bottom of some random-ass vehicle somewhere. I didn't notice any hints or suggestions on where to look, so, I mean, how long would it take you to find that? Hours? How long before you just give up and Google it?

Also, if every mission is that expansive (that FPS base was HUGE), how long does it take to build them? Years per mission, unless they just copy-pasta huge chunks of it?

However, all that said, I was still very impressed. I didn't really think this even existed in as far a state as this, so to see that they actually HAVE been doing something was cool. And it's pretty much a jaw-dropper. Flying through that asteroid was impressive as hell. (Even if there was nothing else to do.)

And while it's not my cup of tea, I'm sure there are plenty of people who dig the idea of walking around that carrier and flying for hours on end to get somewhere, and then to wander around an empty base looking for that one hover-over spot that lets you advance on. More power to them. I imagine this will lead to a larger round of crowd funding than releasing another .jpg of some pretty space ship.

This comment was edited on Dec 25, 2017, 12:00.

News Comments > Christmas Legal Briefs
1. Re: Christmas Legal Briefs Dec 25, 2017, 10:10 Creston

Well, good thing the FCC has basically said they no longer have the authority to slap Comcast down.

Thanks, Ajit Pai! Did you get ass cancer yet? No? Shame.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2017, 09:59 Creston

Merry Christmas, fellas!  

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Dec 23, 2017, 11:17 Creston

Rest easy, Bruce.

News Comments > Evening Patches
10. Re: Evening Patches Dec 23, 2017, 11:15 Creston

DukeFNukem wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 18:46:
The game that keeps on giving, and giving, and giving. I make a joke out of it but at the same time it's cool as hell. What a passion for this game these developers must have. I must go back and finish it sometime.

It's not actually the developers doing these patches. It's one guy (He even posts here from time to time.)

The devs, Troika, went belly up LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG ago.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2017, 11:07 Creston

I think that house is ugly (not my style), but holy crap that view is amazing. (on the few days a year when there is no smog.)

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
1. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 23, 2017, 11:05 Creston

To be fair, probably 5000 of those 123456 passwords are mine, as I always use that password on every new iPhone I set up.

(Our mdm solution makes us change it once we enroll the phone anyway.)

News Comments > Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway
37. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway Dec 22, 2017, 17:33 Creston

Cutter wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 15:37:
X Home of Light and X Rebirth 4.0 explained

Hmmmm, it does look good. Oh, Egosoft, why did you have to hurt us so.

Thanks for the linkies, Cutter.

29736 Comments. 1487 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo