Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 29351 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Dead Space 2 Selling 4M "Wasn't Enough"
30. Re: Dead Space 2 Selling 4M Oct 19, 2017, 10:25 Creston

Nailbender wrote on Oct 19, 2017, 09:46:
The real Bioware, Bioware as we knew it, is long gone already, but the way Andromeda was handled was pretty much the final nail in their coffin.

I don't really agree. Edmonton is still there, they made ME2 and ME3 which I thought were awesome (ME3's ending notwithstanding, and they even fixed that). It's Edmonton that's making Anthem.

I now fully realize that EA are indeed the bane of the gaming industry. When ALL that matters is money (and only huge amounts of it), absolutely nothing else.

All big publishers are this way now. The stock market is the bane of mankind.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 19, 2017, 10:12 Creston

No no no, Frontier customers. You are not being overcharged. You were just 'mispriced' earlier. Rolleyes

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Oct 19, 2017, 10:11 Creston

"AAA single player games are dying. Let me list two of the greatest successes released just this past year to prove my entire point is nonsense!"

News Comments > LawBreakers All-Star Update
2. Re: LawBreakers All-Star Update Oct 19, 2017, 10:08 Creston

Ranked mode! Play now, and you, yes YOU, can be in the top 10 worldwide!

News Comments > Cities: Skylines - Green Cities Sprout
1. Re: Cities: Skylines - Green Cities Sprout Oct 19, 2017, 10:06 Creston

Cool

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Oct 19, 2017, 10:00 Creston

I love how gamesindustry.biz (aka publishersmarketingmouthpiece.biz) realllly quickly turns the word loot boxes into microtransactions.

Microtransactions are already bad enough, but at least it's a direct sale. You want that weapon, you pay 2 dollars for it. With loot boxes, you want that weapon? Buy 7000 loot boxes, and hope RNG will give it to you.

A loot box is a microtransaction (MT) with a big fucking middle finger to you, the customer.

In any case, the very existence of MTs, and even worse, loot boxes, encourages dev to turn their game into a mindless, monotonous grind. If there were no MTs, then weapons would be attainable through normal gameplay without too much difficulty. After all, they spent time on developing and implementing it, they're gonna want you to get it and play with it. (Unless the dev in question is Gearbox, then they make sure that you never see 99% of all the coolest weapons in their game. I wish a bookie would take money on Borderlands 3 having loot boxes out the ass.)

With MTs, they're going to make sure that it's NOT easy to get that weapon, because if there's no enticement, then people will not spend money. So no matter how much the fucking publishers bleat that it's "optional", the entire game will have been skewed towards it, even if only ever-so-slightly.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
15. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 18, 2017, 16:09 Creston

Verno wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 15:47:
HUBBAHUBBA GOTTA UNWRAP MY DONGHOSE FROM MY SHOULDER AND GET ME DAT ASS.

Marshawn?

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. uBlock Origin knocked Oct 18, 2017, 15:56 Creston

So let me get this straight... We should weaken uBlock Origin so that my browser can be used to tell you YOUR website is shitty and vulnerable to attack?

No. Screw you. Fix your shitty website without me telling you about it.

News Comments > Activision Patents Driving Microtransactions Through Matchmaking
41. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 18, 2017, 15:37 Creston

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 15:22:
It's a good thing patents can't be bought, sold or licensed.

? Yes, they can. The latest thing for scum-sucking companies to do is to hand their patents off to a native american tribe, pay said tribe x amounts of dollars per year for "exclusive use of the patent", and then whenever an IPR comes up, they go "you can't IPR this, the tribe claims Sovereignty."

Just More Joy In The US Patent System

Edit : Just realized you might have been sarcastic.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 18, 2017, 15:20 Creston

The bad news is there is no good news.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Samsung Oct 18, 2017, 14:02 Creston

Imagine a Bixby-powered Samsung fridge, for example, or a Bixby-powered Samsung washing machine.

Oh BOY that sounds exciting! Rolleyes

16. Re: Dead Space 2 Selling 4M Oct 18, 2017, 13:58 Creston

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 13:00:
Slightly offtopic: Bioware is no longer the old school Bioware obviously, but they'll probably make a metric shitload of money on Anthem, they aren't going anywhere.

I dunno. Bioware's name isn't good enough to drive sales by themselves anymore, especially after the Andromeda shitfest, and initial response to the Anthem trailer was predominantly negative. And you know EA has pumped BIG money into it, since they want it to be / replace Destiny (2). So if it doesn't sell 10 million copies at least, I can easily see EA whining that they didn't sell enough.

News Comments > Activision Patents Driving Microtransactions Through Matchmaking
24. Re: Activision Patents Driving Microtransactions Through Matchmaking Oct 18, 2017, 13:54 Creston

Linksil wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 12:11:
I just wonder WHY they're allowed to patent this. Any person with 1/2 a brain would say this is just another way to match players online. Now they can basically claim ANY MM game is infringing on their patent and sue them.

Hello, and welcome to the United States Patent Office. Who Can We Help You Sue For Bullshit Reasons Today?

4. Re: Dead Space 2 Selling 4M Oct 18, 2017, 11:11 Creston

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 10:49:
It's pretty funny and sad how Jim Sterling was exactly right about this happening over two years ago. Which studio is next? BioWare? Place your bets an stay tuned!

If Anthem tanks, Bioware is dead.

3. Re: Dead Space 2 Selling 4M Oct 18, 2017, 11:11 Creston

Verno wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 10:09:
With revenue of 240M and fixed costs of 60M, you only have to cover your variable unit costs and variable marketing.

All those director and above salaries at EA have to be paid, you know. I'm sure they've got half a billion dollars a year in parasitic hanger-ons that need their cut from every game's profits.

8. Re: Activision Patents Driving Microtransactions Through Matchmaking Oct 18, 2017, 11:00 Creston

As I said in the Op Ed thread last night

"Exploratory patent, my ass."

The Destiny guys already quickly had to come out and say "We're not using this!"

Fuck microtransactions/p2w/lootboxes and every publisher who endorses them.

News Comments > Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay?
77. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 17, 2017, 19:10 Creston

mr_toad wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 16:28:
My .02 about SC -- my brain thinks it's a giant ponzi scheme my heart hopes it not and that the faith of its backers would be well placed.

I honestly don't think it started out that way. I think CR and his group of devs genuinely wanted to make a great game, sell it, then see how far they could go.

But once they saw that 300+ of them could draw healthy salaries and benefits because there are enough people who will pay for pictures of pretty starships, they all went "Wait a second... If we finish this game, people will stop giving us money for pretty pictures of starships, but if we just keep on developing it, and keep drawing more pretty pictures of pretty starships, people will keep giving us money almost indefinitely!"

If people keep giving them money for five more years, there will be no game for five more years, but once the money stops coming in, the game is going to be out in a few months time.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 17, 2017, 16:42 Creston

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 12:04:
I can't blame them. Going from my old Amazon building to the brand new biggest sort center ever, it's night and day the level of tech and engineering that goes into a place. Once they get driver-less vehicles, and robots that can load and unload trucks, Amazon will be vastly automated.

Well, you CAN blame them, it's just that they don't give a shit. Once their revenue streams dry up, I'm sure corporations will blame all those "damn unemployed people who don't buy anything!" too.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 17, 2017, 11:55 Creston

Yep. Corporations apparently feel that if the middle class completely vanishes, there will still be plenty of customers to sell their products to.

I'm not quite sure there will be, but hey, at least they saved $12 a year.

29351 Comments. 1468 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo