Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 29643 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 13, 2017, 12:29 Creston

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 12, 2017, 12:08:
Well... there are literally thousands of federal positions, it would be worse if we tried to elect them all. That said, here's to hoping karma does exist and Pai gets a just return...

We don't have to elect all federal officials. Just the commissioners. There's 5 people on the FCC. I'm sure we can handle electing them. Same for the other commissions.

And then they have to report to Congress/Senate.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 13, 2017, 12:24 Creston

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 12, 2017, 14:42:
ledhead1969 wrote on Dec 12, 2017, 14:14:
NN didn't exist until 2015. Can someone explain to me why the world didn't fall apart in the 20 years preceding 2015 and it will happen now? I just don't get why the sky is falling by going back to pre-2015 models.

Yes, all sorts of bad stuff might happen but why didn't the whole internet fall apart before 2015? Why didn't all of those negatives completely take over the business model of the internet like they are predicted to now (by going back to the pre-2015 model).

Yes, I am oversimplifying but there was no NN pre-2015 and I don't remember everyone's head exploding on a daily basis on this board.
No one can explain this to you. You're a basket case.

Two years from now when his ISP makes him buy a package of websites he can access for $49.99 a month in addition to his regular service fee of $149 for 10/2mbps, in addition to Netflix having to charge him $75 a month to make up for the fees charged to it by Comcast/AT&T/Verizon (THEY'RE RIDING OUR PIPES FOR FREE!)

maybe he'll get it. I mean, probably not, but maybe. After it, it was a whole two years ago that all ISPs were fucking over Netflix to shake money out of them, and all the Ajit Pai asskissers conveniently have forgotten that. Or how about AT&T BLOCKING facetime traffic because they wanted to force people to use AT&T shitty videocomms app? Or blocking payment systems to force people to use their own shitty wallet system? They don't remember any of that.

So yeah, there's no need to worry. The sky won't fall, everything will be fine. Trust the ISPs. Competition will keep them honest, even if 99% of them have no competition anywhere.

I would roll my eyes, but I'd have to do it so hard I'm worried it'd hurt my neck.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 13, 2017, 12:17 Creston

After this NN bullshit, there needs to be a thorough overhaul of the Commissions, and who they are beholden to. The fact that the Senate / Congress have literally NO SAY over an assclown like Ajit Pai—who literally stands there and says "Fuck you, I'm getting paid," and in doing so fucks over 350 million Americans—is absolutely ludicrous.

This asshole WAS NOT ELECTED. Why is he untouchable???

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins Adds Nightmare Difficulty
5. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Adds Nightmare Difficulty Dec 13, 2017, 12:09 Creston

better Hippodrome rewards

So, 200 gold now? I hate the damn Hippodrome. It's literally seven against one, their horses never tire, and everyone works to kill you.

Which would make sense if you were like the reigning champ or something, but even in race one everyone is gung-ho about killing you.

Try to slide through a corner, someone rams you, you didn't hit the brace button in 0.0000001 seconds, and boom, race lost.

And your reward for all this bullshit? 150 gold. Aka, literally a FIFTH of what you get for selling some random-ass sword dropped by some random-ass guard somewhere.

Also, where is the next Trial of the Gods, Ubi? Releasing these things once every two months, only so you wind up with an outfit after 8 months, is just pointless. Nobody will be playing this in 8 months, so nobody will care about an outfit.

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 12, 2017, 11:57 Creston

I think this Ajit Pai bullshit is showing us that the whole concept of a Commission is flawed. Pai can go against the wishes of 350 million Americans and suffer absolutely no consequences for it, and he isn't even an elected freaking official.

And there's basically NOTHING nobody can do about it. Congress can't fire him, only the president can do so, and even if he wanted to do so, by now Drumpf is barely coherent enough to piss in his own cornflakes in the morning.

Maybe do something about this, Congress? Oh wait, I forgot, you're being paid to shit on the american public.

News Comments > Fallout 4 VR Released
3. Re: Fallout 4 VR Released Dec 12, 2017, 11:52 Creston

The release version has an issue causing some users to experience blurry or low-resolution graphics

Ah, the legendary Bethesda release. Been awhile since we've last met.

News Comments > Bungie Backs off Destiny 2 Misstep
3. Re: Bungie Backs off Destiny 2 Misstep Dec 12, 2017, 11:51 Creston

It's just a clusterfuck of epic proportions over there.  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag Giveaway Underway
31. Re: Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag Giveaway Underway Dec 12, 2017, 10:37 Creston

Slick wrote on Dec 12, 2017, 10:23:
I did qualify with "almost" all legendary upgrades.

I really just got stuck on the one with the 2 ships. I could beat one of them sometimes, but I'd be too damaged to finish the second.

Yeah that is actually the hardest of all 4 of them. Those two are brutal, and I tend to lose to them once or twice before I beat them. You kind of have to get a bit lucky with them. The fact they are significantly faster than you is a real PITA.

The other 3 really aren't that difficult. I've beaten them with maybe only 75% of possible upgrades to see if it could be then, but those two you really NEED at least legendary hull, cannons, ram and mortar for.

30. Re: Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag Giveaway Underway Dec 12, 2017, 10:35 Creston

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 12, 2017, 10:17:
Bruhhood > Black Flag? Wow. Now that is a rare sight when people put the games in their favorite order .

Personally, I thought that Bruhhood and Revelations were both kinda OK after the excellent AC2 but they did not stand out in any way.

I like AC2 better than Brotherhood, but Brotherhood is the only other game in which you get to play as not-old Ezio (I hate revelations for that), and it is the second part of the story, so I kind of feel they go together.

26. Re: Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag Giveaway Underway Dec 12, 2017, 10:03 Creston

It's not the best AC. Edward is actually a bit of a mope, and the AC parts of the game really aren't that good anyway. It has like a dozen of the uber-hated eavesdropping missions, and they will drive you to madness many times.

But the pirating part... Oh, how glorious it is. There is so much to upgrade on your ship, and the feel of progression and rising power is marvelous, even if you already become nigh-unbeatable by the time you're only halfway done with your upgrades.

Once you're at full power, engaging and wiping out dozens of Spanish War Galleons in a row is fantastic, though for more of a challenge, I'd advise you to ignore the bit-of-a-glitch ability where you can board a vessel, take it over, then use it to repair the damage to the Jackdaw while the other galleons apparently just sit there and watch you merrily tinkering away?

For free, this is an absolute no-brainer. It's the best game in the series after AC2/Brotherhood and Origins, and I could be easily persuaded that it's better than Origins.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: RAM Matters: How Much Do You Need for Gaming? 4GB, 8GB, 16GB or 32GB. Dec 11, 2017, 17:40 Creston

NewMaxx wrote on Dec 11, 2017, 17:16:
1) Zen 2 isn't coming out until 2019. This is a Ryzen ("2") refresh (Zen+). Confusing I know. It's because it's been listed both ways depending on the source. 2018 is Pinnacle Ridge, Matisse is 2019.

Isn't that what I said? Confused

2) You absolutely do need 16GB of RAM to game well today. More is better. Not just due to raw usage but caching. With the prices the way they are (and I expect that to remain through much of 2018 if not longer), 16GB is acceptable however. I do recommend 32GB if you can manage it.

The listed article did various tests and shows that the difference between 8 and 16GB is basically a rare few fps, though the minimums do drop off a bit more. Whether that's worth a 100 bucks more...

In any case, MajorD was asking 32 vs 16, and it's completely ridiculous to spend 200 dollars more on 32GB of memory for the purpose of gaming. There is literally no difference.

3) I'd had SATA SSDs in RAID-0s for more than half a decade with speeds up to 1.5 GB/s. The sequential speed gains for NVME are mostly meaningless. The advantages are much higher I/O - which is useless for consumers - with better overhead efficiency (which isn't an issue for the most recent CPUs) and signalling benefits. But there's also drawbacks such as overheating and throttling. The idea that "NVME is the best!11!!1" is pretty naive if you're just looking at sequential transfers since I've achieved similar speeds six years ago.

Compared to RAID-0 SSDs, the gains are probably minimal, yes. Compared to a bog standard single Sata 3 SSD, it is considerably faster. Like, noticeably faster without even benchmarking. I'm not sure why that's "naive".

Also, an NVMe SSD costs roughly the same as two SATA 3 SSDs, but doesn't require two or four cables running through your case.

News Comments > Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection Announced
9. Re: Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection Announced Dec 11, 2017, 17:33 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Dec 11, 2017, 16:06:
Creston wrote on Dec 11, 2017, 12:04:
LurkerLito wrote on Dec 11, 2017, 10:40:
Dam, definitely going to get this. I haven't played the original SF since college. And I probably spent more than the price of this game in quarters with the original SF2 in the arcade way back. OMFG I am old.

I worked at an electronics store at the time when it was out, and we had a SF2 arcade machine in our store. So I played an absolute metric ass-ton of it. (free credits, woo!)

I even won the "Amsterdam Open SF2 Championship." that year. Yeah! Eternal fame is mine.

Did that get you lots of wimmenz? Beam

Oh dude, so many. SO MANY!!

News Comments > Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection Announced
6. Re: Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection Announced Dec 11, 2017, 15:04 Creston

I never made a full perfect in SF2. On the arcade machine, I got a perfect against everyone except one against Chun Li and one against Zagat in one playthrough.

On the SNES I got all except one against Vega in one playthrough.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 11, 2017, 13:35 Creston

Of course she's eavesdropping. This is our current society.

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 11, 2017, 13:33 Creston

A 101 million dollars in total. As I've said before, our elected representatives are extremely cheap prostitutes.

I wish I had Notch's money. I'd go up to Congress/the Senate, and offer them 105 million dollars, in cash, ON THE SPOT, to make Net Neutrality a permanent thing.

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 11, 2017, 13:27 Creston

It's a done deal. Ajit Pai is a fucking sociopath who doesn't give a shit that he will actively make life worse for 350 million people. When assholes like that are given positions of power, of course shit is going to go wrong.

The only hope now is that the lawsuits that will follow 0.00002 seconds after the makes the announcement with his stupid fucking potato face will be successful and the courts will shoot him down.

But that's a small, scant hope at best.

10. Re: RAM Matters: How Much Do You Need for Gaming? 4GB, 8GB, 16GB or 32GB. Dec 11, 2017, 12:54 Creston

MajorD wrote on Dec 11, 2017, 12:46:
Okay, thank you for the advise, much appreciated. I could always add more later if/when it can be utilized. Thumbsup

Yeah, it's just not worth it for gaming. Of course, memory is probably not going to go down for quite a while, but even so, just ride it out.

You'd be better off spending that $200 on a better graphics card or more space on your gaming SSD. (or going to an NVMe SSD. I have one and boy is it fast. Dying light gets confused by how fast everything loads. Hehe.)

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 11, 2017, 12:53 Creston

Argh. AMD has announced Ryzen 2 for February. I just bought one! GRRRR!

Sigh

7. Re: RAM Matters: How Much Do You Need for Gaming? 4GB, 8GB, 16GB or 32GB. Dec 11, 2017, 12:41 Creston

MajorD wrote on Dec 11, 2017, 10:45:
GTK, as I'm spec'ing out my next system and I am considering going up from 16GB to 32GB this time.

I'd not spend the money on it right now, unless an extra 200 bucks is piddly cash for you. There are almost no games that'll use it, basically.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 11, 2017, 12:40 Creston

You NEED 8 Gig, really. You can maybe do with 4, but most games will suffer under it. You'll probably want 16, but with today's prices, 8 is fine.

32 is just pure overkill for gaming, unless you want to leave your browser open with 439 tabs while you're playing something.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2017, 12:55.

29643 Comments. 1483 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo