Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 29155 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Evening Safety Dance Sep 25, 2017, 23:10 Creston

Gives a great new meaning to "All Access."

Pay us 10 bucks, and you grant us all access to your PC!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Tentative SAG-AFTRA Deal
2. Re: Tentative SAG-AFTRA Deal Sep 25, 2017, 23:08 Creston

Bill Borre wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 20:37:
Sounds like they still didn't get residuals. I would figure that is a big disappointment to them.

Probably, though I imagine it depends on how big the new bonus payments are.

In any case, I'm glad they got (most of) what they were looking for.

News Comments > Intel's "Best Gaming Processor Ever"
24. Re: Intel's Sep 25, 2017, 16:41 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 15:26:
I am thinking of building an AMD based system next.

Yep, me too. If for no other reason that if Ryzen 2 comes out and is significantly better at gaming, all you'll need to do is plug in the new processor and flash the BIOS. No new chipset needed, like Intel's rip-off bullshit.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Apple lied about their products Sep 25, 2017, 15:23 Creston

Here's my shocked face.

Blank

21. Re: Intel's Sep 25, 2017, 15:03 Creston

And you still get Intel's cheap shitty paste on the die rather than solder! Think of all the money that saved them! On a million processors, that probably saved them like 200 grand! Don't you feel proud now?

When the heat from that processor overwhelms you, just think of the extra money you generated for Intel's shareholders.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2017, 13:11 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 12:21:
The Post-Antibiotic Era Is Here. Now What?

Now we die.

Thank you meat industry, and people that don't take the full course of antibiotics. You've doomed us all.

The first one, yes. The second part, eh, not so much. I mean, on the list of "Reasons why antibiotics have become utterly pointless", that's probably #527.

The meat industry and doctors prescribing anti-biotics for completely invalid reasons are 1 and 2.

But yeah, in any case, we're fucked. Let's hope we move quickly along the path to nanotechnology, because it'll literally be the only thing that can save us anymore.

6. Re: New AMD Drivers Support Dual Vega GPUs Sep 25, 2017, 13:09 Creston

Verno wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 11:07:
Jets won baby!

I'll take "Words you seldom hear" for $500, Alex.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Intel will not allow it Sep 25, 2017, 12:17 Creston

Surprise surprise. One processor, one chipset. It's the Intel way.

My next PC is definitely going Ryzen.

2. Re: Intel's Sep 25, 2017, 11:21 Creston

Did you use shitty glue instead of thermal paste for your dies, Intel?

I mean, what's 40 degrees among friends, right? You saved like twenty cents per processor! SCORE!

Edit : Zpelling

This comment was edited on Sep 25, 2017, 15:20.

News Comments > Ultima Online Turns 20
23. Re: Ultima Online Turns 20 Sep 25, 2017, 11:18 Creston

I quite enjoyed UO when it came out. It's amazing to see it's still running.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 24, 2017, 21:02 Creston

until they find a way to trade James Dolan to the Thunder as well

Fuck no, you keep that useless sack of shit. It's bad enough that I now have to watch Melo and Russ both glare at each all game for not handing the ball over enough. Sigh

39. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2017, 13:58 Creston

VoodooV wrote on Sep 23, 2017, 13:55:
Phasers at warp have been done in Voyager, DS9 and ENT, and Into Darkness yeah it's stupid...but it just exists. They're never going to be perfectly consistent.

No, I'm pretty sure they haven't? Torpedoes, yes. Not Phasers.

In any case, I've now spent enough time talking about Star Trek Fucking Enterprise.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2017, 12:29 Creston

VoodooV wrote on Sep 23, 2017, 10:12:
Enterprise definitely had some groan-inducing moments, but Creston is kinda being fake news here or he watched some other show, I don't know

Nah, I watched it once. Stopped after season 1, watched one or two eps in season 2 and a few of the Xindi episodes, and just quit after that.

Uhm, no, they didn't visit earth. They were survivors from the blown-up borg sphere in First Contact, which happens before Ent. Yes, it really pissed me off that they had a borg story in Ent, but still, get your facts straight.

Then what the fuck happens to them? They would literally be Gods in the days before Zephram Cochrane. I barely remember most episodes, but I seem to recall them just leaving. For that matter, why don't they build their hyperpulse beacon or whatever that they use to draw the rest of the Borg to Earth? There are just so many inconsistencies with the idea of the Borg having been in touch with humans BEFORE Q sends Picard & Co there.

This is why I hate sloppily done prequel shows. If you want to do a prequel, you have to be SO FUCKING CAREFUL not to overwrite or change something. Braga instead was like a toddler with a crayon and a coloring book.

you're probably right about that one, I don't recall anything specific, but that's the kind of thing only the hard core nerds care about so...

It's a minor thing, true, but it's technology that doesn't even exist in Voyager's time frame. It just shows how little Braga gave a shit about keeping things consistent.

Uhm, no it didn't. They do meet a race that had them. And I guess Daniels had that portable holodeck observatory thingy, but Daniels was from like the 29th century or something. So no, Enterprise didn't have holodecks. Yeah, when they met that race that did holodecks, it did make me go "well gee, it took StarFleet a long time to reverse engineer that technology" but again, please get it right.

Fair enough, I actually just wrote that wrong. I didn't actually mean to say the SHIP had it, I meant the SHOW had them, when it was sort of made reasonably clear that holodecks are a Ferengi invention and are not introduced to the Federation until the Picard time-frame. So like you say, why is there no holodeck technology in Kirk's time-frame if they've clearly already seen it.

Braga even said that he was "sick and tired of the holo-deck" after Voyager (makes sense, because he wrote some absolute fucking holo-deck stinkers in Voyager. That entire storyline about that 18th century, or whatever, town, dear God... Btw, did anyone ever want to know how that murder mystery ended? Sorry. Braga didn't feel like finishing it.) And then he goes and puts it right back into Enterprise.

Suddenly and mysteriously??? They captured it in the first episode!! Holy shit dude, are you just making stuff up?

Where do they capture one? They grab one with that grappler thing, but they fly that to the Suliban base and then later transport off, so they don't bring it back? I just read a synopsis of the first two, and there's no mention of them actually keeping it. They use it and leave it.

But let's assume that they do keep it, and I'm remembering it wrong, why is the damn thing never mentioned again until the ONE episode where the plot requires the cloak? There are several episodes where they are lamenting that the Enterprise is stuck at warp... 3 or 5, can't remember which, when if they have a Suliban Cell ship, which goes faster than that, could have solved their problem instantly. There are several episodes where a cloaking device could have really helped. No mention of their captured Suliban cell ship.

The consensus though is that the third season was the worst. They tried to do a season long arc, and I appreciate that they tried it, but it just wasn't very good, mainly, in my opinion, because again, it was born out of time travel.

Heh, I at least thought the Xindi thing was pretty cool, even though they don't use it right. The Xindi attack Earth and basically slice up the planet, but instead of using that as an excuse to say "They destroyed Star Fleet HQ, and that's when they moved to SF", it's just this random-ass attack.

The fourth season was probably the best, The romulan mini arc was really good. The vulcan three parter was pretty badass. The last two parter dealing with anti-alien extremists was really good too.

What I'm surprised you didn't mention was the final episode. The final episode was a big steaming turd, and even the cast called it appalling.

I never watched season 4. I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

So yeah, there is lot to groan about in ENT, but there are some pretty badass gems in there too, so just like anything else, you take the good with the bad. Voyager sucked in general, but there is still some good stuff there.

Sure, there are good episodes, but the ratio is just so terrible. Voyager has like 10 really good episodes. Enterprise has maybe 7 or 8. Compare that to TNG, which had like 16 great episodes in season 4 alone. I don't recommend anyone sit through 3 seasons of shite to get to one season with some good stuff in it.

Edit: Just remember another just... fucking egregious Canon shattering event. Pon'Farr. It has been known throughout Star Trek history that ONLY Vulcan males ever suffer from Pon'Farr. In Enterprise? Jolene Blalock gets Pon'Farr, so she can show off her tits.

Fuck Rick Berman AND Brannon Braga with a Suliban cell ship.

That said, Fuck ST: Discovery, and fuck CBS, I'm still going to check it out, but I fully support and condone any and all piracy for ST:D

People were more hyped up for Star Trek Axanar than Discovery. CBS fucked over Axanar (yes, Axanar did some shitty stuff to warrant the fucking over, but still the story should have been allowed to continue unvarnished) CBS was jealous that Axanar was doing Star Trek better than Star Trek was.

Eh, the Axanar thing, I mean, copyright is really pretty simple. You can't just go and make a Star Trek movie and expect to make money off of it. Don't get me wrong, I'd have LOVED to see Axanar, but...

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 2017, 13:56.

36. Re: New AMD Drivers Support Dual Vega GPUs Sep 23, 2017, 12:08 Creston

Verno wrote on Sep 22, 2017, 13:47:
Damn man, that's some shit. Braga was the source of shit in Voyager then too I'm assuming? His name is all over it. Thanks for the long write up, I will probably just skip it then.

ps - Trump owns

Oh God, yes. Braga and Berman were the reason Star Trek went from the #1 sci fi show in the world to a total has been in the space of two shows. Braga gained more and more creative power during Voyager, leading to the absurd reset button episodes (some of which were very good, I won't deny), and then he was the #1 writer / creative guy on Enterprise, and it really fucking showed.

The weird thing is, I don't think he ever really liked Star Trek. From the fact that he was PROUD of never having watched TOS, to him complaining that he hated the way Star Trek characters talked etc, it was weird.

Once he was out of Star Trek, he actually made some very good shows that I quite enjoyed (once I got over my initial "Oh shit a Brannon Braga show!").

Anyways, fuck Rick Berman.

News Comments > PUBG vs Fortnite
36. Re: PUBG vs Fortnite Sep 23, 2017, 12:01 Creston

theglaze wrote on Sep 22, 2017, 14:22:
ItBurn wrote on Sep 22, 2017, 13:54:
theglaze wrote on Sep 22, 2017, 12:43:
Creston wrote on Sep 22, 2017, 10:54:
Isn't Fortnite the "harvest resources, build a base, co-op against hordes of zombies" game? How the heck is that the same as PUBG??

Agreed!

I watched the gameplay trailer and its more like Left4Dead meets Minecraft with Team Fortress 2 cartoon-ness... those other franchises MUST be livid! /sarcasm

As I understand it, Fortnite just added a new mode that is basically a copy of PUBG. Games are mostly all copies of other games nowadays, it's nothing new, but they usually try to mask the influence, they don't downright say "we're a copy of game X" like the Fortnite devs did...

Here's the YouTube: Fortnite Battle Royale Announce Trailer

I can see why the PUBG guys are upset, this mode in Fortnite looks polished and has more interesting dynamics! The idea of building/destroying the world is very appealing.

Compared to the main PUBG strategy: Get gear and camp in a house, hide behind a door to shoot people in back, and only move when/if the zone forces you to.

Ah, I didn't realize they'd made a new game mode. That makes more sense then. Thanks!

News Comments > Depth Free Weekend
3. Re: Depth Free Weekend Sep 23, 2017, 12:00 Creston

At Ubisoft, every weekend is a depth-free weekend. HEYOOOO!

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Sep 23, 2017, 11:57 Creston

"Oh shit, people hate it when we say that we're not very good at programming. Quick, pretend we're insane instead and just have no clue what we say from moment to moment!"

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
3. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 23, 2017, 11:56 Creston

Die in a fucking fire, Apple.

News Comments > RUINER Boss Trailer
1. Re: RUINER Boss Trailer Sep 23, 2017, 11:54 Creston

Oh this looks pretty good. I like top down shooters like this.  

14. Re: New AMD Drivers Support Dual Vega GPUs Sep 22, 2017, 13:04 Creston

Verno wrote on Sep 22, 2017, 12:18:
Do tell me about Enterprise and why I shouldn't watch it, though I warn you I'm a glutton for punishment

Damn, where to start...

Do you like Star Trek's canon? Enterprise obliterates it. Not just "breaks it here and there", no. OBLITERATES it. Enterprise has technology that the Federation doesn't get until the time of Picard. Enterprise has the Borg in it. Remember when Q sent Picard's crew to the Deltra quadrant to meet with the Borg? Yeah, apparently the Borg had visited Earth in Archer's time, and then... I dunno, decided to go home again and wait for later?

Remember how ships in Warp can't fire phasers? Enterprise can. Enterprise has Holodecks. All technology that vanishes again in Kirk's time, only to show up again later.

The Klingons are modern Klingons, not the old-school Kirk Klingons. "Canon? Whazzat? I never watched TOS LULZ!" -Brannon Braga.

If you think the reset button is terrible in Voyager, oh my God, the depths to which Braga takes it in Enterprise is beyond ludicrous. There is one episode in season One where the crew suddenly and mysteriously has a captured Suliban cell ship. Why do they have one? Well, because the plot in that episode required them to have something that could cloak, so, ergo, it starts with them having captured this ship off screen. How did they capture it? Who knows.

Throughout the rest of season One, there are like nine episodes where the crew has a problem that could be solved by this Suliban cell ship. Guess how many more times it's ever mentioned? Oh right, of course, never. It's a Brannon Braga show.

Many episodes suffer from the whole "show me, don't tell me" fallacy. Tons of pretty important stuff happens off screen and is only ever casually mentioned by characters in passing. Many episodes also suffer from Brannon Braga's true incomprehension of the idea that you should build UP the suspense in an episode, not build it down.

And I hope you love Framing episodes, because holy shit are there a lot of Framed episodes.

And then, finally, there is this overarching story line of a "Temporal Cold War" throughout season one. It's not that great a story line, but it's at least interesting. By the end of season One, Braga said he had it "About 25% worked out."

That's as far as it ever got. The entire Temporal Cold War story line just gets abandoned.

Season three is actually better, and apparently season four was decent, but the first two seasons are such appalling shite that I genuinely wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Well... Maybe Trump. And that crazy fucker in North Korea. Let the two of them watch Enterprise together.

29155 Comments. 1458 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo