Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 30016 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 5, 2018, 12:28 Creston

Fuck you, Mashable, and the millennial horse you rode in on.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 5, 2018, 12:25 Creston

You mean back when all you cared about was if your game was good, rather than now when all you care about is MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY?  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 4, 2018, 20:01 Creston

HoSpanky wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 11:53:
MacLeod wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 11:33:
"hostile stingrays"... I'm just picturing roving bands of sea animal, floating around the streets, stinging people.

That’s what I thought it was about at first.

As some of the commenters on the article said, if law enforcement can’t keep physical hardware out of the hands of criminals, how could they possibly hope to keep an “encryption backdoor” from getting out of their control?

Oh come on. "You can trust these guys. They're professionals."

Rolleyes

I wouldn't trust law enforcement with my half-eaten donut.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Apr 4, 2018, 19:52 Creston

Anyone who still uses Facebook after all these latest rounds of "facebook gives NO FUCKS about your privacy" just deserves to have all their shit sold to whomever. I mean, this isn't just them ignoring your privacy settings, this is story after story after story of them grabbing shit you never shared in the first place, and doing who the fuck knows what with it.

Seriously, stop fucking using it already. Unless you genuinely don't care about privacy, in which case, you know, enjoy. And don't be shocked if your video of you suffering after a grievous loss that you never posted winds up in a Wendy's commercial someday.

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Movie and Sales Records
1. Re: Far Cry 5 Movie and Sales Records Apr 4, 2018, 19:48 Creston

I hope they will release something like The Animus Control Panel for FC5. It seems like it'd be right up its alley.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 3, 2018, 22:12 Creston

Sweden, Switzerland, it's all the SAME FUCKING THING DAMMIT. 'MURICA!

Rolleyes

News Comments > Shadow of War Dropping Microtransactions
19. Re: Shadow of War Dropping Microtransactions Apr 3, 2018, 14:49 Creston

"Nobody is buying Orcs anymore, so we can drop it now under the guise of 'recognizing how it affected the heart of the game.'"

Shitwallets.

In any case, I'm marginally interested if they do an All-in-One edition, by the time it reaches 30 bucks or so.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR Released
16. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR Released Apr 3, 2018, 14:39 Creston

Orogogus wrote on Apr 3, 2018, 13:46:
Creston wrote on Apr 3, 2018, 13:34:
The Half Elf wrote on Apr 3, 2018, 01:22:
Sadly they need a way to play it while sitting.

Also can you use mods with it?

Bethesda said nope. :(

They said no, but people seem to have it working.

Reddit link

Schweet!!!

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR Released
14. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR Released Apr 3, 2018, 13:34 Creston

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 3, 2018, 01:22:
Sadly they need a way to play it while sitting.

Also can you use mods with it?

Bethesda said nope.

Is this at least the remake version, with the 64 bit engine, better graphics, etc? (judging by the trailer, yes.)

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 3, 2018, 13:31 Creston

A bug. "This bug caused us to keep all of your videos since the day we started! We didn't know." Sure.

And none of your sys admins ever went "huh, I wonder why we've got 500 TB of unexplained data usage on our NAS."

None of them EVER noticed it. I just rolled my eyes so hard I think I broke my neck.

Die in a fucking fire, Mark Zuckerberg.

News Comments > April Fool's 2018 Comedy Gold Roundup
28. Re: April Fool's 2018 Comedy Gold Roundup Apr 2, 2018, 14:15 Creston

Beamer wrote on Apr 2, 2018, 07:08:
Whoever that "lot of people" are don't understand how the stock market works, nor how debt works. Tesla is an incredibly long ways away from bankrupt status. Doesn't mean they won't get there, but it has an enormous amount of equity it can cash in on.

Are you sure? Moody's lowered Tesla's cred to pretty low levels the other day.

News Comments > April Fool's 2018 Comedy Gold Roundup
23. Re: April Fool's 2018 Comedy Gold Roundup Apr 1, 2018, 16:37 Creston

Heh. Cheat Engine told me today that my license had expired, and it would be $1000 to keep using it. I admit, it took me a few seconds of "WTF?" before I remembered the date.

News Comments > Factorio Price Boost Next Month
23. Re: Factorio Price Boost Next Month Apr 1, 2018, 14:57 Creston

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 1, 2018, 12:16:
What are you doing when you play SimCity or a similar game? While there is an artificial goal of launching a satellite so you can be "rescued" -- it's kind of like saying the goal in SimCity is to reach population X.

No, but there is difficult in those games. For example in Cities Skylines, the difficulty is in managing your traffic and keeping your city flowing. In older Sim Cities, the difficulty was in managing budget.

From what (admittedly little) I've seen in Factorio, there really is no difficulty. Everything is available in monstrous quantities, so it's really just a matter of time?

The game is about the fun you have figuring out, first how to build stuff, second learning better ways to build stuff, third learning efficiencies in your designs, etc...

One of the best things about the game is mod support and an active mod community. So even if you get tired of the base game eventually (I spent over 800 hours playing the base or "vanilla" game) there are plenty of new things to try. Different ores, more complicated recipes, stronger enemies, pretty much whatever you want.

However, if you are looking for an extensive storyline -- you won't find it here. This is a building game.

Got it. Thanks man!

News Comments > Factorio Price Boost Next Month
21. Re: Factorio Price Boost Next Month Apr 1, 2018, 12:00 Creston

As you probably know we have a strict no sale policy. The game will not go on sale on Steam or any other platform. This basically means that purchasing before the 16th of April 2018 is the only way to buy the game cheaper than the increased release price.

Good luck with that policy. Seems like a brilliant move. :\

Anyways, talk to me about Factorio, fellas. What's the point of it? What's your goal? Just build stuff? Is there an end-game to reach? Do you need to build defenses? What's going on with it. (nm about the enemies question, that was already answered. )

I watch some let's plays, and it does get me a little itchy in the fingers, but at the same time, after 10 minutes I think "is this all you're doing?"

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 31, 2018, 13:17 Creston

MattyC wrote on Mar 31, 2018, 04:14:
Creston wrote on Mar 30, 2018, 21:13:
It doesn't suck, but I have rather severe doubts about its accuracy. It's reporting most batteries at work at 90+%, even those where I know (and other battery life tools are reporting) they have degraded far, far beyond that.

I haven't played with it much, but it seemed about as accurate as CoconutBattery which isn't perfect but has still worked well for me in the past. How old / how many cycles are the batteries you are looking at if you don't mind me asking?

I was tasked to try to salvage as many 6s phones as I can, so I'm checking all of those for battery life and any other issues. The ones I can salvage where the battery life is less than 1400mAh (out of 1715 for a brand new one), I get the battery replaced by Apple.

Most of these phones are at least two years old, and are probably well past 500 cycles, if not more. By and large, the majority of batteries are around 1300mAh. Some are a little higher, some quite a bit lower.

Apple's Battery health thing reports every single one of them as higher than 90%... I dunno, I somehow really freaking doubt that, especially as they feel like new again once I get the battery swapped.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 30, 2018, 21:13 Creston

It doesn't suck, but I have rather severe doubts about its accuracy. It's reporting most batteries at work at 90+%, even those where I know (and other battery life tools are reporting) they have degraded far, far beyond that.

News Comments > Uwe Boll's Rampage
1. Re: Uwe Boll's Rampage Mar 30, 2018, 21:11 Creston

"I don't like competition! It should be illegal!"

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 30, 2018, 16:18 Creston

Screw iPads in schools. You can't get any fucking work done on an iPad.

Schools aren't there to pad your fucking bottom line, Apple.

News Comments > Guacamelee 2 PC
2. Re: Guacamelee 2 PC Mar 30, 2018, 16:17 Creston

Nobody around the internet has gotten offended at this title and/or it featuring Mexican characters yet? I am amazed.

News Comments > Get Spec Ops: The Line for Free
20. Re: Get Spec Ops: The Line for Free Mar 30, 2018, 16:07 Creston

Flatline wrote on Mar 30, 2018, 12:03:
Legitimate question- Did you try/hesitate/explore other options before the "twist" happened? I'm willing to bet 99% of people didn't and charged straight into it.

It's been a while since I played it, but IIRC, I stood there for a bit, tried to just ignore the button, tried to jump over the wall and go through the massive blob of red enemies without using a WMD (I mean, why not? I've been mowing down hundreds of bad soldiers up until this point without any issue whatsoever, but because the game tells me that I can't win against this collection of soldiers, I can't?), looked around for a bit, said fuck it and hit the button.

Was there some hidden thing somewhere I was supposed to find? Or maybe just stand there and refuse to go for 10 minutes? I mean, it was funny in Far Cry 4, but from a game design perspective that's just crap. My life is finite. I don't have time to stand still everywhere and see if something will happen.

Also, I'm going to point out that the "twist" isn't even really a twist. It's basically the tonal shift point of the game. And it's foreshadowed in the game.

I called it a twist for lack of a better word. The WP scene as you call it is fine too.

A lot. SPOILER A lot of the things you see in the game even before that point... um... aren't really there. You turn around and backtrack and stuff disappears on you. There's a *lot* of hallucinations that you suffer throughout the game that if you aren't paying attention you never notice. It's just after the WP scene that you disassociate your guilt onto the colonel and things go downhill faster END SPOILER

Eh, it's obvious they're hallucinating by the end, but if that was supposed to make me think that we were hallucinating all the way to the beginning, it failed in that.

Like I said, I did really like the way the three main VAs portrayed their slow descent into madness, that was well acted (and well written.) But it didn't really make me think anything deeper about it than "Well, pretty much everyone would feel this way if they'd just spent the last two days in a non-stop firefight."

As for killing American troops because they fired on you... you... ah... didn't pay attention to that scene did you?

Again, IIRC, I'm walking, talking on the radio, suddenly I'm being fired on. It's a shooter game. I fire back. Story wise, I am there on a mission with backing from the Pentagon, ie, by virtue of the chain of command, I am in charge here. I get shot at, people shooting at me are traitors, and thus get shot.

I re-played it recently and was impressed at how a lot of the complaints about the story were actually me mind-caulking things to put my narrative in a better light. It also turns out that I was remembering the narrative my squad mates were helping create to justify our actions.

Please feel free to put into spoilers what really happened. This is how I remember it. It seemed bog-standard shooter fare to me.

The ending is a little more heavy handed than Bioshock's "A man chooses" scene. And the story isn't perfect, but it's pretty good. A damn sight better than most of the stories that 1st/3rd person shooters offer up.

I thought it was ham-fisted pretentious nonsense, but obviously to each their own.

There's multiple endings too. When you finally confront Konrad explore some of your options. One of them is almost too weird to be real, and lends credence to a theory that SPOILER Walker never survives the helicopter crash in the beginning of the game.

Eh, those theories are always fun at the end, but rarely ever what the devs intended. "Squall dies" is a fantastic theory for FF8 that actually makes the whole game better, but that's not what the devs intended. The Indoctrination Theory would have made Mass Effect 3's ending maybe the most brilliant one ever, but yeah, that's not what the devs intended.

I think players sometimes think devs are WAAAAAAAY better writers than they really are. Most of the times devs just come up with bullshit reasonings after the fact, to hide the fact they wrote a cack story. (Far Cry 3 was a perfect example of this. The guy wrote a shit story, then tried to pretend it was all "Just to make fun of game stories!" Yeah, whatever buddy. You just wrote a shit story that made no sense.)

30016 Comments. 1501 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo