Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 29736 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > VIVE Pro and Wireless Adaptor Announced
9. Re: VIVE Pro and Wireless Adaptor Announced Jan 8, 2018, 23:20 Creston

“There’s a clear need in the VR market for a premium VR experience with high resolution display, integrated audio and the best components available today in a headset,”

Is it? I'd say that there's a clear need for VR to get significantly cheaper and less cumbersome.

Oh, and for some actual good games to come out on it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Jan 8, 2018, 14:50 Creston

mag wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 00:35:
Creston wrote on Jan 7, 2018, 14:43:
SupCom was fantastic. I so wish we'd get another one.

Article says Taylor's working on something new. Hopefully it's more Supreme Commander and less Supreme Commander 2. But he wants to bust the genre out of its rut, so I guess we're probably going to get a 5-unit-cap tactical type game or something dumb.

I'm glad he's making another RTS. I never understood why he went with some inane caveman game (or whatever it was, I can't remember) for his Kickstarter rather than what everyone WANTED him to make.

And I doubt he'll make something stupid like that... Please don't let him make something stupid like that...

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 8, 2018, 14:39 Creston

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 13:53:
Wallshadows wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 11:10:
Pretty funny/shitty how the Meltdown bug was exposed right before CES for Intel. Might be a tough crowd.

I've been too busy dadding it over the last couple weeks, what's going on with intel and their horribly made new generation cores?

It's not just their new ones, this bug goes all the way back to 1995. And while Meltdown is primarily an Intel bug, Spectre is on every processor made since then.

Essentially the bug allows a h@xx0r to read protected areas in the processor in plain text. This means that literally anything you type can be read through it, utterly nullifying the most secure setups.

There is a fix for Meltdown, but it's basically causing the processor to put everything in separate threads/tables, and it's causing some pretty hefty slowdowns in certain areas (especially VMs).

Spectre will be much harder to patch, but fortunately also much harder to exploit. Meltdown is dead simple to exploit.

News Comments > NVIDIA BFGD Revealed
12. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 8, 2018, 14:36 Creston

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 12:20:
Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 12:13:
Big Fucking Gaming Display.

I don't imagine too many people have a PC setup where a 65 inch screen is all that useful...

That where you're wrong friend, I play on my 70" TV and have been waiting for something like this.

There are always exceptions.

11. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 8, 2018, 14:34 Creston

Nimh wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 12:55:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 12:49:
yonder wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 12:44:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 12:20:
Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 12:13:

I don't imagine too many people have a PC setup where a 65 inch screen is all that useful...

That where you're wrong friend, I play on my 70" TV and have been waiting for something like this.

And since you are the "many people" he refers to...
I doubt Nvidia invested in the R&D for just one person. My guess is there are quite a few who game on bigger screens.

The first generation of PC gamer is aging.. dot pitch and high resolution are probably becoming secondary concerns to overall size and legibility. My 80 year old father is now using a 32 inch TV for a computer monitor. It looks like ass but he's happy, so whatever.

I use a 32 inch TV myself, and I can't even imagine going bigger than that. For the typical PC - Desk setup, 65 inch is just waaaaaaaaaaaaay too large, so that massively limits your initial market to people who PC on their couch or something.

0.45% of Steam has a 4K monitor, but most of those are probably 27 or 30 inch, and those monitors will be only a few years old at most. I think Nvidia may be drastically overestimating their potential clientele here. It's not as if this is aimed at the console market either, this is purely a dedicated PC monitor.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Jump Rope girl Jan 8, 2018, 14:31 Creston

I can't even follow half the movements she does. That's incredible.

News Comments > GeForce NOW Cloud Gaming PC Beta
3. Re: GeForce NOW Cloud Gaming PC Beta Jan 8, 2018, 12:14 Creston

Onlive and Gaikai didn't work out, let's just do it again! Maybe this time people will fall for it!

Five years from now they'll try yet again. Rolleyes

Whichever way you play you’ll be doing so with the highest levels of graphical fidelity

Bullshit. Graphical fidelity is one of the first things you sacrifice with cloud gaming. Games on cloud streams typically look like you're on Low settings on 720p...

4. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 8, 2018, 12:13 Creston

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2018, 11:21 Creston

Happy Birthday, Frans, and thanks again for all the work!

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2018, 14:47 Creston

Darth Paaaaaaaawwwwww.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jan 7, 2018, 14:43 Creston

SupCom was fantastic. I so wish we'd get another one.

News Comments > Fortnite Meltdown Fix Breaks Things
1. Re: Fortnite Meltdown Fix Breaks Things Jan 7, 2018, 14:42 Creston

Thanks for breaking everything, Intel!

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2018, 17:38 Creston

Osc8r wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 16:00:
I'd be avoiding the 3.5 jack with onboard sound.

I'd avoid any PC 3.5 jack altogether unless you have an external DAC...

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2018, 12:23 Creston

It's unbelievable, that Paltrow thing.

1) That there are people who actually think a 300 dollar fucking STRAW is going to do something for them.
2) That she's such a fucking sociopath that she doesn't care she's clearly ripping people off.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2018, 16:51 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Jan 5, 2018, 13:59:
Bill Borre wrote on Jan 5, 2018, 10:34:
I'm not sure why you would want a white penis?

I know, right? Haven't they ever heard the phrase "once you go black, you never go back?"

"Yeah, but if you go white, your pussy stays tight!"

(not sure which comedian said that.)

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 5, 2018, 14:19 Creston

ItBurn wrote on Jan 5, 2018, 11:36:
Youtube's "algorithm" isn't well designed and has too much control over everything and no one at Youtube can understand or control it.

Human decisions are removed from Youtube. The algorithm begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug...

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Jan 5, 2018, 14:17 Creston

Drej wrote on Jan 5, 2018, 00:41:
I'm scientifically inclined, and I could not understand 1% of that article. And now my OCD has kicked in and it will bother me that I can't understand this.

Watch the video at the bottom, it explains it pretty well.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 5, 2018, 14:03 Creston

ItBurn wrote on Jan 5, 2018, 11:30:
I think Netflix knew damn well that very few shows would be good. They're knowingly going for quantity. People will watch anything, regardless of if it's good or not. It really doesn't matter for their profits. It's not really in their interest to buy all the best, costly stuff. As long as there's a handful of good things on their service, it's good enough for users to keep paying just to fill their free time. The new Netflix "review" system is proof of that. It was designed specifically to hide if titles are good or not.

Netflix designs shows for the entirety of their audience. And they have the data to show exactly what their audience likes. So sure, they may make dozens of show that you and I don't think are any good, but there's an audience for that show and they like it.

The whiny geek who wrote that article admits that there were at least four comedy shows that she loved, but somehow in her mind, four shows that she loves **A YEAR** is somehow indicative that Netflix only makes garbage now.

Netflix makes X amount of good shows for their enormously varied audience, who all love different things. There is no such thing as a show that everybody loves.

45. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2018, 23:44 Creston

NKD wrote on Jan 4, 2018, 18:03:
Creston wrote on Jan 4, 2018, 16:20:

I can guarantee you that there's few to no people in red states sitting there going "HOOOWEEE DEM FUCKING LIBTARDS SHULD PAY MOAR TAXES SO I CAN HAVE MAH GUNZ!"

Yeah, because people in red states think they are the ones subsidizing the blue states.

I've lived in a red state for 15 years now, and I can genuinely say I've never heard a single person say this. Anecdotal evidence and all that. :-shrug-:

I fully support any state that wants to secede from Jesusland at this point, to be honest. The political and cultural divide is too strong and the red states need to be allowed to become the theocracy they so desperately want.

You'd probably have to go to 3 different countries at that point, since how do you make one 'nation' out of the blue states?

44. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2018, 23:42 Creston

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 4, 2018, 17:52:
Creston wrote on Jan 4, 2018, 16:20:
A road for 20 million people in California doesn't cost 10 times as much as a road for 2 million people in Oklahoma. So this MASSIVELY skews the argument.
Your argument isn't entirely wrong, but your example is terrible. Yeah, the road doesn't cost 10 times as much, but they need 10 times as many roads. Okay, maybe not 10 times as many roads, but a lot more.

Not as much as you would think, although it does depend on how many urban areas there are of course. There aren't many roads in Montana where there's few people living.

But once an area reaches a certain population, it has interstates, local highways, feeder roads, etc. The interstates and highways may be a few more lanes for the massively busy areas, but again, that doesn't inflate the cost enough to make up for that massively increased tax income.

Not to mention there are no 8 lane highways in Alabama, Wyoming, or many other "red" states.

Not as many, but there are still plenty of highways. In any case, it was just an example of a single thing of infrastructure. You can extrapolate it to many more areas where having 5 or 10 times the population does not increase the cost of providing tax-dollar-funded services and infrastructure in a commensurate rate.

So it's a skewed argument to just go "look at all those fucking conservatives stealing all our moneys!"

29736 Comments. 1487 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo