Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 29341 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ] Older >

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access
56. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access Mar 18, 2017, 00:45 Creston

Just played the trial for a few hours. Finished the first mission, walked around the ship after for a while.

Based on these first few hours.

Writing:

The writing is fine. It's not great, it's basically the same as it was in the previous Mass Effect games. Yes, there is the occasional goofy line or dull character, but shit, apparently because they're Bioware they have to write 1200 times the equivalent of Morte or something? This whole whiny wankfest by some turd-waffle from Rock Paper Shotgun about how bad the writing is is so hilariously overblown it's just pathetic. Most of the examples he gave were for absolutely minor characters. The kind you talk to once because you CAN, not because you give two shits about them. Who cares if they're boring?

As for all the whining about the floating rocks: they literally mention it twice. Once on the shuttle on their way towards the planet, and then Liam mentions it once more. THEY TALK ABOUT NOTHING BUT THE FLOATING ROCKS! Exaggeration Theatre, show at 11.

(Note to Bioware: Apparently for your next game, your writing budget needs to be 250 million dollars. Every single character in the game must be at the level of MacBeth.)

Voice actors:

Liam's voice actor does sound off a bit. Especially the first few sentences you hear him say, it almost sounds as if they recorded it wrong, or something. You clearly hear that he's in a studio, whereas all the other voice-overs that play in that particular area sound more... integrated into the current location, if that makes any sense. Those voices sound as if they're actually being spoken in that sick bay, and then Liam's sounds as if he's standing in, well, a studio with a mic in front of his mouth. Furthermore, yeah, the guy just isn't a great voice actor. He doesn't put a lot of inflection into his voice and his delivery is very deadpan. Sad, but true. It happens.

Most of the other characters are fine, however. FemRyder's voice is very good. Cora seems good so far. The Pathfinder/your dad is a stoic asshole, but that's his character, so that seems on point. Captain of the ship was good. SAM was good. The doctor seems a bit emotionless, but I don't know yet if that's because the actress doesn't care, or because that's just how the character is.

Animations:

The facial animations, yeah, those are not good at all, but again, people are acting as if it's the worst animations since Pong. It seems the biggest problem is that characters' eyes are always WIDE OPEN to a comical degree, and it makes everyone look pretty goofy. My FemRyder especially constantly looks as if she's in total darkness and is trying to make stuff out. It does look stupid. Does it detract from the game? Not to me, but YMMV. It can be comical/jarring in cutscenes, I won't deny.

Other than that, animations in my game are fine. Not seen a single issue with them. Not saying that means others aren't having problems with them (I've seen the videos), but I think it's pretty clear those are just bugs then, which they will hopefully sort out. All characters walk normally in my game, none of the wacky "walk like you're taking a shit" stuff.

Graphics:

Graphically I think it looks pretty nice. I'm running it at around the mid range level, I'd guess. Most settings are on High, but no HBAO and no AA, and it runs smooth on that on my 970. I was a bit surprised how well it ran, since my processor is actually below their minimum spec. I'd love to see how this game looks at full detail, because it's pretty. I really enjoy the size of the levels, and how much detail they put into side quest areas of discovery. I was really bummed when (spoiler) in that building wrecked by the planet's lightning, you don't actually get to see what's behind the door guarded by that robot.

It seems like a very fun place to explore.

Combat:

Combat is cool, definitely much improved over the previous Mass Effects. Everything moves smoother, shooting is more fun, you can easily outflank your enemies / take the higher ground and have a huge tactical advantage.

Only downside so far, all powers have an individual cooldown. I don't like that. I LOVED the balance they had achieved in ME3, I have no idea why they went away from that. Setting up Combos is now significantly harder because you can no longer control your squad mates' power use directly. I fail to understand the reasoning behind this.

The UI:

Consolized, but mostly functional. It's roughly at the same level as the ME3 UI. Only thing, they've now gone the Far Cry route, and require you to HOLD the E button to interact with something, as opposed to just hitting it. Whichever developer first came up with this: FUCK YOU. Whichever person at Bioware decided Andromeda would be better if I had to hold the E button to do anything: FUCK YOU.

What a stupid fucking design decision.

The Story (so far):

Decent. I felt they shipped everyone out to Andromeda WAY too quickly. It's literally like 30 seconds of video, and boom you're in Andromeda. No sense of purpose or of the journey whatsoever. It's like Mac thought "shit, I fucked up with the previous story, quick, let's move on!"

And while I can see the complaints that you become the Pathfinder too fast (though Bioware has always had complaints from people who kept saying it took way too long to get to the cool stuff, so they can't really win whatever they do.) I do like the way they made it happen. I actually thought that (spoiler) Alec's sacrifice and subsequent death so his daughter can live in his stead was well done. Definitely a huge improvement over the usual (continued spoilers, I guess, if you haven't read a single thing about this game) methods of killing main characters, like: an alien kills him, a rock falls on him, he gets Vulkan Ass Rash, etc.

Furthermore, I think that that shit with SAM indicates there's more to Ryder becoming the Pathfinder than just a "Well, you're his child, so here you go." At the same time, people complained before about Bioware games that it took too long to get to the "I'm the coolest guy around" part, so it could be a massive overreaction on their end too.

All in all, I'd say that if you liked ME3, I don't see why you wouldn't like this one, unless you've already made your mind up to be mortally offended by the smallest things and refuse to play what's a very fun game so far because of those. And if so, hey, more power to you.

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2017, 00:57.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Game Reviews
39. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2017, 18:00 Creston

descender wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 17:03:
I think the biggest difference between what Zelda did here and what DA:I does (and apparently ME:A) is that there aren't 900 icons on the minimap that you just have to go run to and press a button... you actually have to find the seeds and solve a puzzle, you can't just mindlessly beeline between map markers like the Bioware sidequests.

That's cool, but that means there are 900 puzzles in Zelda?

38. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 15, 2017, 17:55 Creston

Task wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 17:28:
And from that first bit of the RPS it seems whatever Bioware was going for with the whole "new universe" trope, it reads to me like they went for generic action Sci Fi schlock.

The only reason they went with "a new universe" is because there was no way for them to re-use the Milky Way after the Mac Walters' special that was ME3. I hope someone just mods all mentions of Andromeda out of it, and we can just pretend it's the Milky Way galaxy.

But even so, Sci-Fi Schlock is kind of the whole motto of Mass Effect. It's Star Wars, not a Space Odyssey.

36. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2017, 17:49 Creston

Verno wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 17:19:
The seeds are all hidden behind cool shit is the difference.

I was just trolling.

Go play the game man, trust me it fucking owns. There's 100+ shrines but you never get bored of finding them. I bought the whole system for this one game after playing it at a buddys place. Never could have predicted a fucking Zelda game would raise my bar for open world titles.

Nah, I don't buy entire systems for one game anymore. Going to build a new PC sometime soon, so gotta save up.

35. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 15, 2017, 17:44 Creston

Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 17:40:
almost all of the games Ive ever played have the best content front-loaded into the opening and middle portions of the game, with the end game in various states of being half-assed or phoned in

Eh, the intro mission on Mass Effect 2 was pretty terrible. Boring ass metal colony with a few robo dogs, with Miranda and Jacob as your crew. The one in ME3 wasn't great either. Later missions became significantly better in both games (and in the case of ME2, the best mission came all the way at the end.)

So at least in the case of Bioware that's not always true.

29. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2017, 16:50 Creston

So, about Zelda, since a few people mentioned it as "having none of this."

900 seeds to pick up?

Seriously? Nine HUNDRED? (on the bright side, you get a literal pile of shit when you finish it!)

27. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2017, 16:31 Creston

Quboid wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 16:27:
peteham wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 15:46:
Finishing this rant; Noclip did this vid recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2g_0QQRjYY .. Has a segment with Jonathan Blow talking about "Ubi-style" games and how they don't really need 3D-graphics anymore, you could just have the HUD markers Recommended viewing.

I've been playing more of the utterly generic Ghost Recon Wildlands and I noticed that I was spending as much time looking at the map and minimap as I as looking at the actual 3D graphics. Outside of combat, I would hold W and navigate by the minimap with basically zero actual immersion.

Yeah, Ubisoft games are getting absolutely awful with it. If as a dev you have to provide menu options for players to turn shit off, you know you're just badly overdoing it.

25. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 15, 2017, 16:15 Creston

Task wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 16:08:
Jeez. Just started reading RPS piece for Andromeda and the first few paragraphs are about how terrible the writing and characters are.

In the opening mission. I think it's probably fair to put that up as a caveat.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 15, 2017, 16:13 Creston

Quboid wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 15:53:
I feel like it hasn't occurred to them that just because it's not unconstitutional doesn't mean they have to do it. Like, it could be legal for them to do this but they not do it anyway because it's a stupid idea.

Oh, make no mistake, it IS unconstitutional, but the fucking SCOTUS decided that apparently the constitution doesn't apply within 15 miles of the border. It's the most laughably ridiculous overreach of governmental "We're fucking with you just because we can" ever witnessed.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 15, 2017, 16:11 Creston

Beamer wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 15:16:
Depending on your you look, there's like a 10% chance of it happening. If they look, you're inconvenienced, but nothing is taken from you permanently and nothing is recorded anywhere. It's just some jackass looking at your emails. There's a tiny, tiny chance it gets copied somewhere.

But if you're trying to catch a connecting flight, being delayed for two hours while some border patrol asswipe tries to find whatever it is that gets his tiny pecker hard is really, REALLY fucking annoying.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 15, 2017, 15:43 Creston

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 14, 2017, 10:44:
I was supposed to fly to New York today, but the blizzard means it's going to happen Thursday instead. My job doesn't start until Monday, so things should still all work out, but I had a brief moment of panic Sunday night when the airline emailed me to say that my flight had been cancelled. In the meantime, I get to enjoy a few more days of 78F and sunny weather here in early spring Los Angeles before deplaning into sub freezing temperatures at LaGuardia. Why am I moving to NYC again?

$3500 rent, right?

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 15, 2017, 15:39 Creston

Lol, $470 at best buy for a 1070. GET A "FREE"* COPY OF ANDROMEDA!

* By free, we mean it costs $80.

21. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2017, 15:23 Creston

Verno wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 14:22:
As long as the crappy filler isn't mandatory for completing the game or required for one of the main gameplay hooks, I don't care that it's there.

I used to think this but I have turned around on it. It DOES matter. It is overwhelming to players and serves as distractions from that quality content you mention. The abundance of map markers, UI glut and so on seems to get worse all the time. DA:I also required a fair amount of filler done to advance its main story, you couldn't just simply ignore it all.

That's fine, to each their own, of course. I do agree with maps being just littered with icons. I said that somewhere below, where some developers just can't seem to leave a stretch of 15 feet alone without plonking something down in it. "WE CAN'T HAVE EMPTY LANDS! SOME MILLENIAL WILL GET BORED!"

DA:I required you to build up like war points or something, but you could easily get all of them by closing gates and exploring the entire map. Now, if you considered closing gates to be filler, then okay, but I liked that because the combat was fun, and it was a cool challenge to go up against a level 12 gate while you were level 6 and try to get through, plus at higher diff levels they required some good strategy to get through.

I was more referring to shit like those stones that you had to collect of which there were 30 in a level. Those were really annoying. (Some were cool, in that you had to puzzle out how to get to them, but most were just walk over, stand PRECISELY on top of them, then hit interact.) And then at the end it got you a fucking dagger, which, if you had any of the expansions, was pathetically underpowered anyway.

That's filler to me. The gates, not really.

20. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2017, 15:18 Creston

Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 13:32:
but yes, its clearly laughable... no exaggeration there..

I agree that some of the examples they've shown have been just terrible. I hope that it's just some dipshit in marketing who doesn't understand how to put butter on fucking toast, much less make a good video, rather than the entire game being that super terrible. The entire ME series had cringe-worthy dialogue, but also had sections with really quality stuff, so I think it's just a matter of multiple writers at really varying levels of ability.

I mean, if the game has 1200 voiced characters, some of them are going to be pretty shit.

id tend to think the game will be burdened by its own legacy, in the sense of just "trying too hard" overall, having massive expectations to fill (far more than when it comes to Dragon Age) and also having a need to define itself anew - and the problem there is that you cant solve problems like that just by doubling or tripling your development budget

Especially with how they decided to go away from Shepard. You create an iconic character like that, it can be very difficult to follow up on, as many developers have found out.

yes Witcher 3 comes up again, and i think after a few more years have passed everyone will realize just how epic and legendary everything about that game is.. and perhaps there is hope that others will realize a great need to emulate its principles

The Witcher 3 was incredible. Whenever I talk about best games of all time with someone, I'm always very tempted to just put it #1.

Sadly, I don't think that need to emulate really exists with developers. I think we as gamers often see something amazing in a game, and we'll go "the bar has been raised!" And then every game after is just back to the same old shitty level with regards to whatever thing was awesome.

I just don't think devs care, or there's just no budget to do it. After RDR was released, I was sure we'd never again see shitty horseback riding in games. Oh. The horseback riding has possibly gotten even MORE shitty than it was before.

After LA Noire, I figured we'd finally see some huge breakthroughs in facial animation etc, to the point where the characters in a video game could actually start acting with their face. Oh. Same shitty old vapid blank stares in every game imaginable where faces barely move. But hey, let's throw another 5 million bucks into textures, because THAT surely will make a game better...

Anyway, Bioware just makes their own games, and I doubt they give a shit what the competition does. Their games sell 7-8 million copies or so, which keeps all of them gainfully employed. (I still lol when I think back to that quote from whoever who said that Dragon Age 2 would get them Call of Duty level sales. Rolleyes )

This comment was edited on Mar 15, 2017, 15:33.

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 15, 2017, 14:55 Creston

CrimsonPaw wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 12:59:
Creston wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 12:53:
What's H:ZD, HoSpanky?
Horizon: Zero Dawn - Sounds like this and Zelda are the top games of the quarter. Too bad, I had high hopes for ME:A.

Oh, duh, I should have realized that. Thanks.

I keep hearing really good things about that. I'll probably pick it up for the summer.

12. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2017, 12:53 Creston

What's H:ZD, HoSpanky?

9. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2017, 12:43 Creston

NetHead wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 12:32:
Oh come on you know there's more to it than that.

Then you get side quests which add value to a game, sometimes side quests can be one of the most memorable parts of a game.

Of course, but that's dependent on the story and presentation of the side quest, not on the gameplay hook. In the end, in that quest, you're still doing the same gameplay hook that you do in every other major quest.

Side quests should be about characters, events, not mindlessly scanning some game object.

I'm pretty sure the entire quest isn't just "scan some object." I saw the murder investigation quest, and yeah, it's got scanning in it, but also some exploration, some combat, etc. Again, they're all just the same gameplay hooks. The scanning for clues thing is literally the same thing the Witcher 3 does, only difference being that Geralt just "does it" and in Andromeda you activate an arm scanner.

The reason we never minded any of it in the Witcher is because the story behind it was (usually) very interesting. So it's all dependent on how well written the motivation and purpose behind said side quest is, and I can't judge on that in Andromeda obviously, as I haven't played the game.

I just find it such a silly complaint "Why does every side quest make me go somewhere and kill something?" Well, because that's the gameplay hook. It's why every objective in Call of Duty is achieved by holding X. Because besides shooting, that's the only gameplay hook they have.

Sure they did that kind of crap even in Mass Effect 1, boringly scanning planets for some crap, the specifics of which my mind has blocked out like a bad memory. Though there it at least wasn't classified as a quest or something meaningful, it was just some grind and filler crap thrown in.

Which I think it's here too. So if you want to craft, go for it, and if not, then don't do it.

Now though even that grind crap is labeled "quests" or "missions", whatever, as if it's a meaningful part of the game. That says a hell of a lot about any such game, to consider such crap as something of substance.

If "gather 500 iron" is one 'quest' in a list of 40 quests, I really don't find it that big a deal. I'd rather they at least keep track of it for me, so I don't have to try to remember WHY I gathered 500 iron.

This is becoming a bane of single player games. There's money to be made in single player game and they know it, though they they can't be bothered to take the time to produce any quality content anymore and they can't rely on multiplayer to fill their game so they're turning to this nonsense. If sales for their single player games start going down the well it's because they've been poisoning the well.

Nah, that's ridiculous. There's plenty of quality content in Dragon Age Inquisition, it's just that Bioware feels the need to shore up that content with pointless shit gathering (and seemingly do the same here. Though from the sounds of it John Walker didn't get very far into the game, so I wonder how pervasive it really is.) Some developers see a large open map and feel that there should be CONTENT every 15 feet, no matter whether that content is any good or not. Bethesda and, like you said, Ubisoft suffer from the same affliction. They cram their maps way too full with stuff, and since they don't have 200 million dollars and ten years to make all that stuff meaningful, some of it becomes crappy filler.

As long as the crappy filler isn't mandatory for completing the game or required for one of the main gameplay hooks, I don't care that it's there. I'll pick up some ore if I pass it, and if not, oh well. If I get 40 quests, I don't need every single one of those 40 quests to be memorable enough that I talk about it with my colleagues the next day. I understand that the reality of budgets means that 80% of the budget goes to the main quests, 15% goes to the ~ 10 big side quests, and the rest of the quests have to make do with 5%. As long as that 95% was spent well, that's good enough for me.

6. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2017, 12:22 Creston

Verno wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 11:52:
That's not really the problem though from my perspective. It feels like busywork is the issue for me, it feels tedious. It feels like they're filling a quota and don't respect the players time.

Which is fair. A lot of it is undoubtedly still filler, though if you at least make that filler have a good story behind it, you can hide that it's filler.

(Most monster hunts in Witcher 3 are really just filler, except for the few where you fight a unique creature at the end of it. The rest are just "go here, turn on your witcher sight, follow foot steps, fight critter at the end. Collect pointless amount of money and some xp." But they're still interesting because the combat in Witcher 3 is fun and the monsters have a lot of varied attacks.)

Why do I need to sit through retarded animations 1000 times for rote actions?

I 100% agree with that. I hope that section where he described the planet scanning is a bug, but seeing as how Bioware has insisted on shafting us with dull mini-games since forever, it probably isn't. By this point, I think Mac Walters is deliberately just trolling everybody.

Why is that the best they can come up with when other games do better? I don't want a game filled with tedious bullshit like DA:I. You can argue some of it doesn't need to be done but there is a fair amount of filler crap you had to even advance the story. Everything feels bland and generic, where is the love and care about the craft?

Well, SOME games do it better. And it's a little unfair to say there's no love and care about the craft in DA:I, as it had a pretty good main story, some really excellent missions, and some cool companions.

Ultimately it feels there is a focus on quantity over quality. I would rather play a handful of deep, interesting sidequests as opposed to scanning the environment and "collecting resources" ad nauseum.

Yeah, I agree. Bioware only seems to know how to fill their "open world" large maps with pointless crap to scan. I think it can safely ignored though.

I'm playing Zelda right now and it manages to make even the most repetitive stuff feel natural and enjoyable. It does open world right. It took a lot of risks from its previous entries. I don't get that from Bioware anymore, it feels like they're just fulfilling a 2 year mandate from EA management and rinse repeating.

I haven't played it, so can't judge it, but it boils back to the "if the basic gameplay hook is fun, you can repeat it for quests ad infinitum." So hopefully Andromeda's combat hook is at least fun. Agreed on the soulless corporation feel, though.

I'm still hopeful it'll be enough like ME for me to enjoy it a lot, minor quibbles notwithstanding.

News Comments > Space Hulk: Deathwing Adds Content
8. Re: Space Hulk: Deathwing Adds Content Mar 15, 2017, 12:07 Creston

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 11:49:
It's a feature on Steam, lots of games allow opting in to beta versions of updates... Skyrim and Fallout 4 did that, too.

Ah, that makes more sense.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Maxtrix reboot Mar 15, 2017, 12:07 Creston

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 11:32:
The problem is they should have introduced a new Wolverine in the last X-Men movie, and let Huge do Logan. Personaly I really didn't enjoy/dislike Logan. Then again I did fall asleep for about 10 mins of it when they hit Vegas.

Oklahoma City.

29341 Comments. 1468 pages. Viewing page 51.
< Newer [ 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo