Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 30345 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2018, 15:42 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jul 16, 2018, 13:59:
I've finally reached level 50.

FIFTY? Goddamn, you old fart!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2018, 15:42 Creston

Heh, Prime day. The main page doesn't go anywhere, just rotates between itself. That was well designed, Amazon.

And Blue is showing (for me anyways), a "prime deal" for the PS3 version of Aliens Colonial Marines for $43.85! WHAT A STEAL!

News Comments > etc.
17. Re: etc. Jul 16, 2018, 15:37 Creston

Children will be complete morons. Sigh.

News Comments > Star Citizen Refund Refusals
37. Re: Star Citizen Refund Refusals Jul 15, 2018, 20:53 Creston

190 million dollars in what will turn out to essentially be nothing more than a form of unemployment benefits for ~ 300 or so developers.

"How to keep 300 people employed for 7 years, doing nothing, through the miracle of crowd funding. The Star Citizen story."

News Comments > A Typo Broke Aliens Colonial Marines AI?
23. Re: A Typo Broke Aliens Colonial Marines AI? Jul 15, 2018, 01:22 Creston

Another way to read this story is: "Gearbox did absolutely zero testing before shipping ACM, otherwise someone would have fucking found a simple typo bug."

News Comments > The Bards Tale IV in September
2. Re: The Bards Tale IV in September Jul 13, 2018, 18:34 Creston

Yeah it's been a long time coming, but I think it looks pretty good.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2018, 17:29 Creston

Just a reminder that the conclusion of the A Song of Ice and Fire series will surely be satisfying when our descendants get to read another author's take on the series' ending, five years after GRRM finally croaked.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 12, 2018, 09:06 Creston

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 11, 2018, 21:17:
Creston wrote on Jul 11, 2018, 21:05:
Can Elon Musk tie Ajit Pai to the next rocket shot into space?
Fuck no, you trying to start a war with Aliens or what?

That's true. What if the rocket went straight into the sun? Wait, then we'd get a sunlight cap... THERE IS NO SOLUTION TO THE AJIT PAI PROBLEM!!

News Comments > CD Projekt RED's Future Witcher Plans
9. Re: CD Projekt RED's Future Witcher Plans Jul 11, 2018, 23:19 Creston

PhysicalEd wrote on Jul 11, 2018, 22:27:
Yeah, I was a little startled to read "the world of The Witcher, created by us for over a dozen years". Perhaps they've already forgotten that Sapkowski created the world.

Of course they haven't, but visually all of it is theirs, and they expanded MASSIVELY on the books and characters, so I don't feel it's too far-fetched for them to make a statement like that.

And if you like reading fantasy by all means read his Witcher books, they are wonderful.

Eh, they're okay. The short stories are good, but the big long story about Geralt and Ciri feels terribly meandering, with Geralt taking entire books trying to get to Nilfgaard to find Ciri, (while the reader already knows she isn't there) and Geralt for long stretches at a time being essentially whiny, unsure and really not very likeable. He is in no way the badass of the Witcher games.

I was disappointed in the books, though some storylines do pay off well (Ciri's especially.)

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 11, 2018, 21:05 Creston

Can Elon Musk tie Ajit Pai to the next rocket shot into space?

News Comments > CD Projekt RED's Future Witcher Plans
1. Re: CD Projekt RED's Future Witcher Plans Jul 11, 2018, 21:01 Creston

Witcher : Ciri. Do it. You know you want to. *jedi mind trick*  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 11, 2018, 17:45 Creston

For quite a while in its early days, Steam only had one guy who knew how to patch a game... It's a common story in badly run IT departments.

As for consumer interest in VR, it's because there's little of interest to play on it. Really the only dev who has made actual multiple games for it has been Bethesda. The rest all do shitty tech demos and game snippets.

Why would I spend 800 dollars on a full VR setup so I can play the equivalent of shitty indie games?

News Comments > IDGA Urges Social Media Guidelines After ArenaNet Firings
16. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Adds Multiplayer in July Jul 10, 2018, 18:59 Creston

007Bistromath wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 12:49:
Primalchrome wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 11:52:
Free speech doesn't mean there aren't repercussions to being a closeminded dirtbag.
In what sense, then, is the speech free?

In the sense that the government can't fucking arrest you for being a closeminded dirtbag.

It does not mean everybody else has to put up with you being a closeminded dirtbag.

News Comments > IDGA Urges Social Media Guidelines After ArenaNet Firings
15. Re: IDGA Urges Social Media Guidelines After ArenaNet Firings Jul 10, 2018, 18:58 Creston

This incident makes very clear the perils of social media being a jerk and flying off the handle when someone offers polite critique, especially when transparent and well-understood guidelines for staff members are not in place

Guideline: Don't be a jerk and fly off the handle on social media.

20. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jul 9, 2018, 23:31 Creston

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 23:25:
It says 88. The Internet was basically just text at that point.

Yeah, the world wide web didn't get invented by Berners-Lee until 89, and wasn't published outside of CERN until late '91.

18. We could have gone to Mars decades ago Jul 9, 2018, 23:24 Creston

"And died. I mean, we had no way to stop all the cosmic radiation from frying us, nor did we have a way to provision the 9 month flight with enough food and water, and we didn't really have a way to build a sustainable base there. But we totally could have gone."

Yeah, I'm not sure that "could have gone" means the same to you as it does to the rest of us, Mr. Hadfield...

And if by decades ago, you mean late 60s, early 70s, then yes. But if we're talking later, NASA pretty quickly lost that ability once the funding spigot got turned off. (Sadly. Imagine if NASA had kept 5% of GDP as their budget. We probably WOULD have colonies on the moon and had people land on Mars already.)

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jul 9, 2018, 19:11 Creston

Committee: "Tell us about your data privacy practices."

Apple: "We have none."
Alphabet: "Yeah, neither do we."

Committee: "I... er... but...?"

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Jul 9, 2018, 19:08 Creston

ArenaNet will not hesitate to throw you under the bus for having the audacity to be annoyed by people telling you how to do your job

I would say there's a difference between being annoyed at people who tell you how to do your job, and calling someone who is legitimately offering critique/advise a "rando asshat."

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Drake doesn't take bullet damage Jul 9, 2018, 18:02 Creston

So then why visualize his "luck running out" with the age-old red screen that slowly fades? Why not come up with something else?

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
8. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jul 8, 2018, 14:02 Creston

Saboth wrote on Jul 7, 2018, 18:53:
We'd already have self-driving cars if they AI didn't have to deal with humans who can't drive and disobey the law and don't follow logic and reason. If we replaced all human drives with self-driving cars instantly, we'd have probably a 1000% decrease in accidents overnight.

Then how would I get to work? A self driving car can't take me home, because I live in the country side with roads that have no clearly delineated lines. It's just a large slab of gravel. Current 'autonomous' vehicles can't drive on that.

How is it going to drive us around when there's the average Oklahoma torrential downpour? When it's foggy? When it snows? How is it going to deal with a rabbit's nest of one way streets? How does it deal with double parked vehicles? How does it deal with roads where traffic circumstances are unique due to whatever reason? etc etc etc etc.

Autonomous vehicles are NOT READY. Stop believing that they are. Stop listening to that lying shitbag Elon Musk when he keeps saying that his Teslas can do level 5 autonomy right now. They CAN'T. All autonomy is right now is a glorified lane-keeper and automatic-breaking solution. Good technology, for sure, but that's what it is. His blablabla about how it's driven 7 times more miles before a fatality than what the average human does completely and deliberately ignores the fact that said Tesla miles are driven 99.99% on well maintained and clearly marked highways, which is where the fewest fatalities already happen anyway, and it ignores the fact, again deliberately, that his Teslas don't auto drive on shitty-ass B roads, where the majority of fatalities happen.

I also like how, whenever an accident happens, Musk and Tesla are quick to bleat "It's the human's fault! You need to be alert at all times! Our system doesn't do the driving for you!"

But when it comes time to bleat how safe it is, apparently every safely driven mile is completely due to the technology, and said need for alert humans is never mentioned. Which one is it, Elon? Are the humans driving, or your technology? Because you're trying to fucking argue in your favor from both sides.

In order for autonomy to work, we need to stop with this "Well, if it kills fewer people than what currently die in traffic, it's worth it!" No, it isn't. If we try to switch to autonomy before it's ready, then a string of horrible accidents will follow, and that will kill the technology by completely destroying what little public trust there is to begin with, and nobody will switch. (and if you think getting a gun away from people is hard, wait to see how hard it would be to get them to give up their car by forced mandate.)

Autonomy needs to go to level 5, full automated driving in all conditions and every circumstance, before we roll it out. That's the only way to shift public perception on it. It needs to roll out, and be completely safe and capable in every circumstance. And even then it will take a generation before it takes over.

30345 Comments. 1518 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo