Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 28622 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Evening Safety Dance May 25, 2017, 10:16 Creston

ZeroPike1 wrote on May 25, 2017, 03:29:
HURRAY!! More reasons to dread flying! Thank you TSA and your endless Bull, making something simple into a nightmare.

Pointless security theater, all for the cheap, cheap price of 7.6 billion of your tax dollars!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse May 24, 2017, 21:33 Creston

Next gen FiOS! We'll only roll it out to 5 apartment blocks in the middle of three cities, though.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance May 24, 2017, 11:44 Creston

I thought about using the Iris scanner function on my S8, but before you register, it puts up like four warning messages about potential eye damage and yadda yadda yadda. The screeching record sound hit, and I thought better of the whole situation.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 24, 2017, 11:05 Creston

Pigeon wrote on May 24, 2017, 08:18:
jdreyer wrote on May 23, 2017, 23:30:
Sweeeet. Now if I could just convince the wife to let me get one.

It's only $1100, which is like $900 cheaper than is it were $2000; what a steal! Also you'll need to get dual 1080ti's so as not to waste that monitor's potential. It'll only making your gaming more efficient, which means you'll have more time to spend with her! See how could she not let you buy it?

I... just... I mean... bravo!

News Comments > PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Patch Plans
1. Re: PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Patch Plans May 24, 2017, 10:44 Creston

I would like to put this theory to bed by telling you our servers run on the highest possible spec machines that AWS offer. (*)

(*) for 50 dollars.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2017, 10:49 Creston

bigspender wrote on May 23, 2017, 10:14:
Just dreadful!
People aren't going to tolerate this much longer I suspect, not when their children are the targets.

I'm pretty sure nobody still tolerates it, but what else are we going to do? Drop MORE bombs on Syria?

You can't eradicate an ideology... :\

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2017, 10:49 Creston

Expect Theresa May to go full hog on her "The government must see, know and approve every single thing you post on the Internet!" crusade now, inasmuch as she wasn't already.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation May 22, 2017, 23:03 Creston

The Half Elf wrote on May 22, 2017, 22:47:
GAH DAMN YOU ROCKSTAR!

THE LEAST YOU BASTARDS CAN DO IS GIVE US RDR REMASTERED FOR THE PC!

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
11. Re: Sunday Safety Dance May 21, 2017, 20:17 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on May 21, 2017, 16:56:
There are companies that spend 10's of millions and still had this happen to some degree. This I know as fact. You needed the March update to be protected if this fired off on your pc. Not 10 years worth of protection, not Aprils, March's. If one system didn't take the upgrade and that user clicked the email, gotcha. You can spend a lot of money and still have that scenario happen because PC's just don't always take. Looking at my biz PC it failed once and then 4 days later took the patch, this was still a few good weeks ahead of when it hit.

This happens to a few systems in a corporation that for some reason didn't upgrade, no big deal. Tech support reimages those machines, and a few hours later the users are back up and running.

I'm talking about corporations that got thousands of PCs hit by this. That's just pure stupidity or laziness or both. And typically in an IT department, that's caused because there's a bunch of useless shitheels in charge, or because there's no money.

18. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2017, 15:40 Creston

bigspender wrote on May 20, 2017, 21:47:
Depends on how you're measuring. People that look after themselves (and some with pure luck and medication) are able to live to 120ish. That would definitely make 65 around the middle :-)

120ish? The oldest person that ever lived (verified anyway) made it to 122. How many people do you think there are that make it to 120??

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
35. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 21, 2017, 15:36 Creston

Beamer wrote on May 21, 2017, 11:00:
People in this very thread ranted against the $15 minimum, despite Cutter being right about how well it worked in Seattle.

I was opposed to it because it seemed like the wage increase would simply lead to corporations passing those costs on to their customers, thus leading to increased prices on pretty much all products, including things like food, etc, which would just hit those minimum wagers again the most.

The fact that that hasn't really seemed to have happened in Seattle is admittedly very surprising. I mean, what happened? Did corporations just eat the cost themselves???

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
8. Re: Sunday Safety Dance May 21, 2017, 15:27 Creston

Shitty corporations who spend zero dollars on IT and PC owners who never bother to upgrade / get malware protection was the reason WCry spread so widely.  

27. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 20, 2017, 23:56 Creston

jdreyer wrote on May 20, 2017, 21:12:
eventually automation gets to the point where there's simply not enough work to go around for everyone.

And that lies at the heart of the whole problem. Massive overpopulation.

I read in an article a while back that some university did a detailed study, and found that for every 100 people born, only ~ 20 jobs are needed to 'sustain' those people. To create the food, clean water, clothes, entertainment and other consumer items that these 100 people will demand. So the other 80 become a drain, so to speak, on the existing job market.

Multiply that by millions of times, and eventually said job market runs out. There simply aren't enough people to demand enough products to give everyone a job.

The absolute decimation of people's retirement income only makes this massively worse, as rather than retire and free up a (usually pretty high-end) job for a younger person, a lot of the elderly now have to stay employed or simply fucking starve.

But hey, at least our population is still growing more rapidly than an actual virus would.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
16. Re: Morning Metaverse May 20, 2017, 20:07 Creston

Man, China looks at this UK plan and goes "Blessed Confucius, you motherfuckers are crazy!"

But of course, here's the ringer:

If elected, Theresa May will "take steps to protect the reliability and objectivity of information that is essential to our democracy" and crack down on Facebook and Google to ensure that news companies get enough advertising money.

This is why she does it. Not to "keep people safe", but to line the pockets of those who write her big fat checks.

7. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 20, 2017, 13:52 Creston

Brazor wrote on May 20, 2017, 12:39:
Part of the problem (especially out here in California) is that there isn't anyone to hire for those jobs.

No, I don't think that that's really the problem. There isn't anyone to hire for those jobs at the absolute fucking rock-bottom salaries employers are 'willing' to pay.

You up the salary on these jobs, and people will apply for it. Nobody wants to be a steel factory worker, to grab Beamer's example, for 9 bucks an hour (duh). You pay 18 bucks an hour, and watch the applicants line up outside. (numbers are just for example, I don't know what they actually are for steel workers.)

That's the side of the story you never hear in all these documentaries where employers lament on "We just can't hire anybody! We've been looking for years! We HAVE to go to India to find workers!"

Bullshit. Pay a good wage and good benefits, and you'll have fucking thousands of applicants.

3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 20, 2017, 12:36 Creston

Cutter wrote on May 20, 2017, 12:02:
And as always when robots replace all these people who's going to have any money to buy anything? It's self-defeating. That was one of the major reasons for the downfall of Rome. There were so many slaves in the empire that citizens couldn't find work. And that started the whole downward spiral of bread and circuses.

So we're all going to be gladiators for the robots?

In any case, I do agree that it's so short-sighted the way every single corporation RUSHES to automation. Have fun not selling anything and watching all your robots just sitting there doing nothing.

News Comments > Destiny 2 PC Will Trail Consoles; Has No Dedicated Servers
30. Re: Destiny 2 PC Will Trail Consoles; Has No Dedicated Servers May 19, 2017, 21:59 Creston

HoSpanky wrote on May 19, 2017, 15:14:
On the other hand, Blizzard is putting their name on this, and that's no small consideration. They'd rather kill a game weeks before launch than put out something short of stellar.

Errr, where are you seeing that Blizzard is putting their name on this? It's going to use Blizzard's launcher, because why wouldn't Activision just use their own store rather than give Steam/Origin etc 30%. But that's going to be as far as it'll go. This is not going to be "Blizzard's Destiny 2."

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
14. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 19, 2017, 15:14 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on May 19, 2017, 13:20:
Yeah Burrito sounds reasonable you test a sample of the overall. But Creston's 2005, I didn't know companies do mass auto-bios updates without testing and if with a passing grade would do a slow roll out. That is living life. Company wise, I'd only consider a bios upgrade if it was a security reason or something specific to a system(s) and an issue with it that it would specifically fix.

You'd be amazed how many companies, even today, test 'in production.' (Ie, just release everything and "we'll deal with any issues that occur." )

Hey, it saves like a few thousand bucks on test PCs!

News Comments > Destiny 2 PC Will Trail Consoles; Has No Dedicated Servers
19. Re: Destiny 2 PC Will Trail Consoles; Has No Dedicated Servers May 19, 2017, 14:49 Creston

Did I say typology? I meant, it is a complicated clusterbangle. No, no, that's not the word I'm looking for. Shabbadaroo! That's what it is, a complicated shabbadaroo!

19. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2017, 12:46 Creston

Ozmodan wrote on May 18, 2017, 12:04:
The quality of network programming is getting worse by the year. All you have to do is look at what Netflix, Amazon and many of the other streaming services are doing, MUCH better shows.

To be fair to the networks, that as much because of regulations hampering what they can do as it is because of their own ineptitude.

28622 Comments. 1432 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo