Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1936 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 7, 2018, 13:06 HoSpanky

Ok so the Tesla article is a bit misleading. Each of the people they interviewed were unemployed. So of COURSE theyíre gonna struggle to make ends meet. The only ones I feel sorry for are the elderly, who have a fixed income and most arenít physically able to work anymore. The ones that are 30-40 and complaining that they lost their jobs (in a way that seems unrelated to the Tesla factory) donít say anything about even trying to work at the Tesla facility. The article should be ďPeople Who Rely On Handouts Find Handouts Arenít EnoughĒ.

At least the article finally mentions ina short per that people who have jobs that are relevant are finding a booming economy, but they immediately turn away from that. Instead they focus on people who very much seem to think someone else needs to take care of them. It isnít someone elseís job to make sure your skills are something thatís still relevant.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Destiny 2 Free Weekend Underway
12. Re: Destiny 2 Free Weekend Underway Jul 7, 2018, 08:26 HoSpanky

My wife got me D2 for Christmas, finally recently got around to playing it with a couple friends who got it thru the humble monthly. Itís pretty fun! You should give it a spin if only to see some of the incredible environments theyíve put together. The storyline is unfortunately super serious most of the time, with Cayde (Nathan Fillion) and an insane shipís AI being the only levity. It actually HAS a story this time, unlike the first game.

I was precisely as skeptical of this game as everyone else on this forum. The first game had NO story, making advancement feel...pointless. Supposedly they added story to the DLC, but fuck you, I shouldnít have to pay extra to get a goddamn story for a full priced game.

Anyway, it doesnít hurt to try it out.

News Comments > Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat
22. Re: Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat Jul 6, 2018, 14:05 HoSpanky

Itís anazing to me how many people still use social media after all the accounts of losing jobs from saying something dumb in the heat of the moment. They donít grasp that once typed, itís there forever, apparently.

I havenít used my Facebook account for years, and I donít have any other social media accounts. The company I work for has a department whose entire job is to watch social media to find employees complaining and then fire them. Most days I like my job, but if I have a particularly frustrating day, I MIGHT have a couple drinks and then post something regrettable, so I have removed that possibility from my life.

But then there are people like this woman, who may be REQUIRED to have various social media accounts and be active on them, because the company sees that as looking like they care about their customers. Even when it has nothing to do with her ACTUAL job. Is that the case here? I dunno.

She definitely is at fault on this, she clearly snapped at someone who wasnít writing any aggression into his posts. Should she be fired for it? I donít see anything in the exchange that would warrant that. Feels more like an excuse to fire someone they already didnít want.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Dropping GPU prices Jul 2, 2018, 10:59 HoSpanky

Yep, pretty much why I expected to happen. Some people will buy used ones from eBay to try to get a good deal, but those cards have been run 24/7. Iíd be super wary of eBay video cards.

Interested to see if the next Nvidia card is a gigantic leap again, or if itíll feel like a refresh...even if it is a new chipset. The 1080ti is an absurd monster of a card that rarely has issues pushing 4K/60. Anything beyond that is just...e-peen bragging.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
2. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Jul 1, 2018, 17:03 HoSpanky

jdreyer wrote on Jul 1, 2018, 14:59:
Con artists are fleecing Uber drivers.

The joys of working the gig economy.

Nah, nothing to do with gig economy. The drivers were just incredibly stupid. The scammers literally call them and ask for their email and password AND 2FA code! And the drivers actually tell them!

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
1. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 30, 2018, 10:58 HoSpanky

when I finish a fiber installation, I always ask the customer if they want the leftover fiber line (usually 4-10 feet). When they ask why, I do my best to very seriously say:

ďDo you like hiking? If you ever go into the deep wilderness, bring this little bit of fiber with you, it could save your life.Ē
ďWow, really? HOW?Ē
ďIf you get horribly lost, dig a shallow trench, and put the line in it. A construction crew will be along shortly to dig it up.Ē

As for the Bitcoin value loss...I wonder if anyone is truly surprised. It was never a currency, itís a collectible. Similar to Beanie Babies, except these all look the same, and donít have a physical housing at all. Itís a game of hot potato that people are playing with their life savings, and anyone who didnít already sell is now constantly losing money. And in the end, they wonít even have a cute stuffed hippo to put on display and say ďthat lost me my retirement fundĒ.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 30, 2018, 10:13 HoSpanky

So, SLI/crossfire may be all but dead for mainstream gaming, but one place it has a potentially bright future is VR. Each frame has to be rendered twice, and sending that to two separate cards could nearly double the framerate. The ONLY step required after that is to stitch them together before shooting it to the headset (where, because the PC headsets are technically two monitors, itís presumably split again).

Honestly, Iím shocked that most VR games, especially the prettier ones, donít use SLI. Even the mighty 1080ti struggles to run moderately demanding games. Keep in mind itís being asked to render 180 total frames per second, usually supersampled well above the native resolution. Early adopters of VR arenít afraid to spend money on making everything work the best it can, so if SLI was an option in even a handful of titles that are popular but struggle to run fluidly...Iím pretty sure a LOT of Vr users would pop a second card in. I have two gaming rigs, one specifically for VR. But itís not a coincidence that both machines have a 1080 in them. If titles start using SLI regularly, the non-Vr machine will get a new card and the Vr rig will have a pair of 1080s to throw at its task.

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
2. Re: Saturday Interviews Jun 30, 2018, 09:53 HoSpanky

Ozmodan wrote on Jun 30, 2018, 09:08:
Funny a game where you mindlessly kill zombie after zombie is inspired by games where your actions matter. Give me a break.

Hey now, they were INSPIRED. It doesnít mean they actually did anything with that inspiration.

ďMan, Witcher 3 is amazing! Every single quest in it has a story, and if you poke around, you might even find more of that story that they donít blatantly point out! Sure wish we could do that, but itíd take effort. Oh well!Ē

Edit: welp, I feel silly. I mistook this for State of Decay 2, which is already released and reviewed as ďmehĒ. So maybe DL2 WILL be an amazing open world game with choices that matter. I never played the original Dying Light, but Iíve read that itís fantastic. Might drop some money on it, the steam sale IS on...

News Comments > The Crew 2 Launches
13. Re: The Crew 2 Launches Jun 29, 2018, 19:25 HoSpanky

I was amused that Polygonís review at one point just says play Forza Horizon 3 instead.

Edit: And PC Gamer's.

This comment was edited on Jun 29, 2018, 21:41.

News Comments > Shenmue 3 System Specs
1. Re: Shenmue 3 System Specs Jun 28, 2018, 22:02 HoSpanky

100 gb of space!

Still doesn't quite catch up to Forza 7 or Gears of War 4, but dayum, if this is the "new norm", I only have room for like 10 games on my ssd.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
12. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 28, 2018, 17:21 HoSpanky

Drazula wrote on Jun 28, 2018, 13:13:
Amazon delivering their own packages... that is a big "screw you" to Trump!

Yep. Basically, if heís gonna try to force the USPS to raise rates for no real reason other than ďmy buddiesí businesses that havenít changed since before the Internet are complaining that Amazon has found a better way to do thingsĒ, theyíre just going to make their own delivery service and the postal service is going to lose a MASSIVE income generator.

News Comments > PUBG Drops Fortnite Lawsuit
4. Re: PUBG Drops Fortnite Lawsuit Jun 27, 2018, 11:57 HoSpanky

Rhett wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 11:16:
Aww, I was really looking forward to this!

Yeah, me too. I assume they finally looked into similar cases and found none of them ever won, and thought maybe this wasnít the best idea.

Itís not like they arenít making a fuckton of money anyway. How much did they waste on coming up with this stupid lawsuit?

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
6. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jun 27, 2018, 10:58 HoSpanky

The title of the article even leaves what happened ambiguous, so as to make it appear the game killed him. Fucking absurd.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 26, 2018, 07:02 HoSpanky

Iíd be SO pissed if my monitor wasnít able to run at native resolution. Especially a pricey 1440p monitor.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: The Church of VR Jun 25, 2018, 09:51 HoSpanky

Kxmode wrote on Jun 25, 2018, 02:28:
VR is such an epic fad that not even the makers of these things can see it. I'm convinced VR's "killerapp" isn't a big catalog or placing them in Libraries. The killerapp is the cost. If they want a lot of people to adopt the things they need to make them budget friendly.

Thatíll come in time. When LCD TVs first came out, very few could afford them. By the time most people could afford them, the features were much better. The same will happen with VR.
The headsets arenít even the most expensive part anymore, itís the hardware to run them.
I agree there isnít a killer app, at least none that anyoneís even conceived. There are already several quite good games for VR, and any time one of them looks even sort of good, its forums are filled with ďcan I play it without VRĒ crybabies.
Once thereís a proper v2 headset from the current manufacturers, original VR kits will hit eBay for cheap.

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jun 22, 2018, 20:59 HoSpanky

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 22, 2018, 20:46:
I seem to remember the Factorio devs saying they don't do sales. So, wouldn't expect to pick that one up cheaper.

Yep, They've never had a sale on it. Used to be $20. So, that WAS the sale, but now it's permanently $30. Considering they've sold PLENTY of copies to make themselves rich (over a million!), I wouldn't be surprised if they kept it $30 forever.

News Comments > Gears Tactics Catch-up and Gears of War 5 PC Details
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 21, 2018, 12:25 HoSpanky

Gears 5 for win10 isnít a surprise; Gears 4 was as well. The part they donít mention is if PC players will be allowed to play against console in any way. I understand the whole controller vs kB/mouse, all they need to do is say ďyou can play against console if you use a controllerĒ. Yes, there will be crybabies who want an impossibly unfair advantage, but most people HAVE a controller, and are probably willing to deal with it so they donít have empty game lobbies.

And Fawker, they DID come to pc at the start, but gears 2 and 3 never did. Shame, that. Gears 4 is a new storyline that needs only the barest knowledge of the first three.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Jun 20, 2018, 11:26 HoSpanky

Acleacius wrote on Jun 20, 2018, 00:27:
Iirc, Thursday is the Steam Summer sale (reported rumor).

And usually those ďrumorsĒ are spot-on. Publishers are informed about the sale ahead of time and decide what percentage theyíll cut off their title. So itís not much of a secret, and someone always blabs.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 20, 2018, 10:24 HoSpanky

This is the article I needed to be truly excited about 2077. The witcherís Quests were ALWAYS worth doing, and were kept consistently interesting. There are some I havenít done yet, and I plan to go back and finish at some point just because I know theyíll be interesting.
Glad to read that theyíre keeping that same design philosophy for 2077.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 19, 2018, 15:40 HoSpanky

Oh boy, Alexa for hotels...so they can record everything you say during your stay and tell you itís for your convenience.

So far Iíve seen no need for one the the voice assistants, as their primary goal is to tailor ads on your network to match any conversation you have. Your phone already does this, even with voice assistant turned off, so maybe itís really no different anyway. Still donít like it, and definitely donít see a need for it personally.

1936 Comments. 97 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo