Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1681 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges
6. Re: Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges Nov 6, 2017, 12:08 HoSpanky

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 6, 2017, 11:43:
Nobody talking about the other interesting shifts?

AMD lost major market share in both GPU and CPU statistics. In GPU's Nvidia now dominates with 81% (May 2016 56%) for a massive gain of 25% and in CPU Intel dominates with 90% (May 2016 78%)

This means Nvidia and Intel dominate in China. And this would explain why analysts already dig the grave for AMD.... Steam is a pretty strong indicator on what is where with gaming on PC. And 80% GPU market share for Nvidia and 90% CPU market share for Intel is kinda scary

Well, itís not terribly surprising. Ryzen chips are amazing for tasks that ARENíT gaming. For games, a quad-core 7700k is still king, since games still lean heavily on single-thread performance. AMDís new video cards can almost keep up with Nvidiaís 1080, but theyíre no cheaper and their power usage is insanity. Thatís not even considering VR, where Nvidia has an absurd runaway lead on performance in both of the popular VR-capable game engines. AMDís pricing isnít significantly lower anymore, so theyíve lost their cheap-build advantage.

As for the win7/win10 thing, Dacote likely nailed the reason for it. Chinaís complete disregard for IP is built into their society.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 2, 2017, 10:18 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Nov 1, 2017, 23:50:
A warm-up? Cause they seem like little more than thousand dollar paper weights to me so far.

Cobra? Yo Joe!

Theyíve never been a thousand dollars. But hey, when youíre bitter and angry that new tech is out of reach for you, I guess thatís how you compensate.

No, VR kits arenít as immediately useful as the computer they require, but thatís not the point of the first ones. The point is that itís amazing technology that people can make their own software for. The Lighthouse system is open, and allows tinkerers to build their own add on devices. The number of advances caused by early adopters are already coming about as usable, and will likely be built into successive headsets.

You clearly look at them from ONLY the perspective of a consumer, and maybe have lost your ability to be excited by amazing tech. Iím not going to pretend I use my VR kit every day...and a week or two may go by without me touching it. But I had some fun fiddling around with coding (awful) stuff for it in Unity, which is more coding than Iíve done in 15 years.

News Comments > Descent Underground Next Year
18. Re: Descent Underground Next Year Nov 2, 2017, 00:34 HoSpanky

Kxmode wrote on Nov 1, 2017, 23:31:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 1, 2017, 18:36:
Dude, who put a bee in your bonnet?

I don't like people hijacking an indie's thread the promote another competing product. That I backed D:U for $50 is irrelevant. I wouldn't do it in any game's thread. Have some standards.

Well, I assume this means youíll never mention a game other than the one in a threadís title, ever.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Nov 2, 2017, 00:20 HoSpanky

The Battle royale numbers are why the gameís login servers crapped out. Super frustrating for people who bought the game for PVE. They add in a mode no one asked for and people looking for a free ride kept paying customers from playing. Iíd prefer if they split everything, even into separate executables and using separate login/instance servers. That, or get their shit together with their primary login server.  

News Comments > Breakaway Takes a Break
1. Re: Breakaway Takes a Break Oct 28, 2017, 08:49 HoSpanky

Hadnít heard of this game until this post. It looks interesting in terms of gameplay but the trailer didnít make any sense. Just a ton of bright flashes and an occasional goal shot.  

News Comments > Get Guns of Icarus Online for Free
3. Re: Get Guns of Icarus Online for Free Oct 28, 2017, 08:42 HoSpanky

MattyC wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 04:49:
KTR wrote on Oct 27, 2017, 20:27:
Fun game with friends.

I cannot remember the title, but I am pretty sure a similar game (more floating islands than 'ships') was out in the 90s. It was never really polished, but it was fun to make your island fort and go fight.

Netstorm.

News Comments > Steam Halloween Sale Begins
10. Re: Steam Halloween Sale Begins Oct 27, 2017, 05:12 HoSpanky

Picking up Worms WMD and Airmech Command, aaaaand thatís it.  

News Comments > Newegg in Hot Water
14. Re: Newegg Accused of Ponzi Scheme Oct 24, 2017, 12:33 HoSpanky

I was unaware Newegg was purchased. Theyíve always been a go-to hardware seller, although I tend to purchase most parts locally in case of problems (we have a Fryís). Newegg has a local warehouse, so I CAN do same-day pickup if they have a great deal.

This seems...sketchy from all sides. The investor clearly didnít look into what they were investing in very closely, and Newegg does appear to have purchased questionably. I hope Newegg and its devastating patent troll destroying legal team stays around, although after their star lawyer left, itís been quiet on the troll-smashing front. If I recall correctly, he left about a year ago...was it because of the buyout?

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Oct 20, 2017, 08:36 HoSpanky

Retired wrote on Oct 20, 2017, 07:01:
Grabbed a Steam Link for 1.00. Worth the risk to try it out, don't really need it put interested in it. It isn't offered with any other game bundle - wondering if all orders will be cancelled.

If you can wire it in over Ethernet, they work REALLY well. Wireless works...less so, but is fine. SUPER twitchy games will feel a hair slow to respond, but most stuff will play quite well. Rocket League doesnít feel different from playing it on the machine itís running on. Easy setup, and will stream anything he host machine is doing WHILE A STEAM TITLE IS RUNNING. So run something low-memory using, minimize it, and you can use this to stream video or just browse the web on your tv.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Oct 19, 2017, 20:24 HoSpanky

Notice, buy Icey, and you can get a steam link for a dollar. Probably wonít last long.  

News Comments > Activision Patents Driving Microtransactions Through Matchmaking
11. Re: Activision Patents Driving Microtransactions Through Matchmaking Oct 18, 2017, 11:20 HoSpanky

The thing is, unless they make it painfully obvious, youíll never know if this matchmaking functionality is being used.

The only one that seems like pay to win is the last paragraph. I imagine them designing weapons and levels that compliment each other, and then selling the weapons. Thatís absolutely a PTW scenario, although Iím currently hard pressed to come up with a weapon that can favor a specific map, aside from widely separated cover areas, and a sniper rifle.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 15, 2017, 21:51 HoSpanky

Good lord Dev, I was making a joke. Iím not blind to the gameís enormous growth. Almost makes me want to pick it up to see what the fuss is about, but itís the sort of game Iíd find frustrating, and with very little feeling of any accomplishment in.

Been balls deep in Factorio, which is an astonishing timesink.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 15, 2017, 17:03 HoSpanky

Dev wrote on Oct 15, 2017, 16:45:
Whoa, look at the surprise dark horse in #1 !
j/k

Itís absurdly unstoppable on the sales chart. Maybe it has to do with those 9,000 bans per day.

News Comments > Fortnite Battle Royale Boasts 10M Players
5. Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Boasts 10M Players Oct 12, 2017, 13:10 HoSpanky

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 12, 2017, 11:00:
10 million people played in 2 weeks. Ok so it's also Free to play. So how many active players did it have at it's peak?

I was shocked that two people within 4 or 5 minutes popped up in chat saying they bought the pve game because of Battle Royale.

Thatís two more people than I expected it to attract. The two modes are so wildly different that theyíre only recognizable as the same game because of the art style.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 10, 2017, 13:39 HoSpanky

Ehh, the XBoneX will sell fine. The name is even laid out like how uncreative kids do their online names with Xís on the ends. Those who waited for more muscle will love it. I have a normal Xbone and donít think Iíll be upgrading...I never play on it. I got a ps4 pro when they came out, and Iíve played a total of 4 games on it, only finishing one (Horizon Zero Dawn). Playing on the tv just doesnít interest me, mostly because my eyesight is going a little bad, and itís not super clear like my monitor is (due to distance, not screen quality).

I think the new name for it is stupid, but they donít want to make people think itís a completely new console by calling it the Scorpio. But thatís a cooler name.

News Comments > More VR Resources from Valve
6. Re: More VR Resources from Valve Oct 10, 2017, 10:25 HoSpanky

YourNick wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 09:28:
Ya VR sets really need higher resolution, 4K at least. So that would be 4K in all six directions (forw,back,left,right,up,down.) Perhaps one of these manufacturers will deliver soon.

Wait, what? Itís not screens that you turn to look at. How...how do you think VR works?

News Comments > Fortnite Patch Breaks DX10
3. Re: Fortnite Patch Breaks DX10 Oct 7, 2017, 17:24 HoSpanky

Spektr wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 16:40:
I wonder what is to happen to people buying the game now and running it on previous systems when they stop support...

Im betting they complain on the message boards and get nowhere. Epicís official answer will likely be ďupgrade from Windows Vista, you moronĒ.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Oct 7, 2017, 13:02 HoSpanky

That Oilpro stunt is proof people just canít get enough. He had millions, and tried to scam his way to more. Seriously, what use is more than a few million dollars, unless youíre wanting to go into large scale construction?  

News Comments > Fortnite Patch Breaks DX10
1. Re: Fortnite Patch Breaks DX10 Oct 7, 2017, 12:54 HoSpanky

I would assume they intend to remove support for OSí that are no longer supported by Microsoft.

The new Horde Bash mode sports some new landscape stuff, which is infuriating...that sort of stuff needs to be added to the main game, not these one-month-long things.

News Comments > Dead Rising 4 Adding Other CapCom Heroes
1. Re: Dead Rising 4 Adding Other CapCom Heroes Oct 7, 2017, 12:50 HoSpanky

Oh my god that Cammy outfit is hilarious!  

1681 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo