Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1936 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > World of Warcraft Cinematic
3. Re: World of Warcraft Cinematic Aug 3, 2018, 14:02 HoSpanky

jdreyer wrote on Aug 3, 2018, 13:55:
Remember when these Blizzard rendered CG trailers used to be an event? Now it's just *shrug*

The one for Legion was fantastic. Not only was it incredible to watch, but the game picks up where the trailer ends.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Origin Access Premier Premiers
8. Re: Origin Access Premier Launches Jul 31, 2018, 09:47 HoSpanky

DangerDog wrote on Jul 31, 2018, 05:32:
and just like that, you'll never see EA release a game that doesn't have it's content spread out over months.

just about everything has to be designed around being a "live service" where they trickle out the content to keep people paying for the service, maybe sports games like Madden would be exempt because they'll get you to keep paying for next years roster.

I think part of it is to entice users to hang onto games instead of reselling them (for console discs). Going digital kills resale, which is what they want, in the end, but plenty of people still buy games on disc.

While I do love how fast games load from SSD, games are routinely coming out in the 50gb range now. RAinbow Six Siege is 100gb! I have a 1tb SSD and every time I want to add a game, I have to remove 5 older ones. So I can understand why some people want to buy their console games on disc...even if it still installs half of the data to the HD, thatís still a significant storage savings.

As for this service, Anthem is the only game from EA that I have any interest in, so the service isnít a good plan for me. I canít believe Iím saying this, but Microsoft has more compelling stuff coming (to pc!) in the next 6 months than EA.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 30, 2018, 13:16 HoSpanky

That first article is...crap. They act like poor cell coverage in the middle of nowhere is somehow a surprise. It offers NO answer to how to make rural cell coverage into something profitable to the companies that run them.

The only important thing in the entire article is the part saying that poor cell coverage will lead to fewer farmers over time, as today's kids assume they will have internet connectivity. So, that means Agriculture groups should be the ones funding expanded cell coverage.

News Comments > GOG.com Extending No Man's Sky Refunds
12. Re: GOG.com Extending No Man's Sky Refunds Jul 26, 2018, 13:38 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 11:36:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 11:13:
I'm a bit compfused. Didn't they just advertise the multiplayer bit last week? Then this week they're pulling it?

No, they're saying it won't be available on GOG for at least 6 months for some inexplicable reason. Sean Murray is just a enormous scumbag.

They used the built in multiplayer network functionality built into Steam. I donít think GoG Galaxy has anything like that, so theyíll have to build their own, which will take a while. Rather than delay multiplayer for everyone another few months because of a platform with likely a LOT fewer copies sold, they released it now and are working toward getting it available for everyone. I imagine at that point theyíll switch the Steam version over to whatever they make so people from both stores can play together.

But hey, better to assume someoneís doing it to be an asshole than it being a technical hurdle, right?

News Comments > Steel Division 2 Announced
1. Re: Steel Division 2 Announced Jul 26, 2018, 13:16 HoSpanky

For just a second, I thought this was Steel Battalion.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 22, 2018, 17:49 HoSpanky

Iím excited about MH:W, but Iím gonna wait on reviews of the port first.  

News Comments > Steam Ban Spree
14. Re: Steam Ban Spree Jul 20, 2018, 18:36 HoSpanky

I occasionally go thru the VAC forum on steam to laugh at all the ďI learned my lesson, Iíll stop cheating please give me my account backĒ crybabies. Itís astounding how many people still cheat and are surprised VAC catches them.

VAC doesnít Ban you immediately upon cheating because that actually helps cheat makers.

This comment was edited on Jul 20, 2018, 18:52.

News Comments > Onward Free Weekend
3. Re: Onward Free Weekend Jul 20, 2018, 18:00 HoSpanky

Bodolza wrote on Jul 20, 2018, 13:08:
Movement is quite slow and very smooth. There's little chance of sickness in this one.

I played it last night with two friends. Very easy to panic in a fight and screw up reloading your gun, which was pretty great.

I had no issues with the movement, but one of the guys had serious problems. Heís extra-easily nauseated. Try it out for free! You can just do it in a botmatch to not worry about real people wrecking you.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 19, 2018, 17:24 HoSpanky

Thereís a Forza Horizon 3 version in the sale that comes with every expansion and car pack for $40. Itís a fucking great game now (it had some serious issues for a while), and the Hot Wheels expansion is worth the $40 by itself.  

News Comments > Hacknet Free on Steam
4. Re: Hacknet Free on Steam Jul 12, 2018, 22:56 HoSpanky

It was a bad attempt at humor, apparently. Iíve not played the game, know nothing about it beyond the description. If thatís the real ending then maybe donít play it, as I meant ďyou actually destroy your machine because the hacking commands REALLY worked and fried your rigĒ.  

News Comments > Hacknet Free on Steam
1. Re: Hacknet Free on Steam Jul 12, 2018, 20:41 HoSpanky

The ending is a real mindfuck: you wipe the corporationís drives and force their CPUs to run at double speed. But then your computer stops working and you discover you formatted your own hard drive and your processor melted the board. It was real the whole time!  

News Comments > Fortnite 5.0 Kicks Off Season 5
7. Re: Fortnite 5.0 Kicks Off Season 5 Jul 12, 2018, 11:38 HoSpanky

Desalus wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 11:32:
Has there been any indication as to when Save the World is going to be free-to-play? I've been out of the gaming news loop for a few months.

I saw some mention that halfway thru season 5, STW should be going FTP, but that you wonít get free v-bucks once that happens. I assume youíd have an option to ďbuy inĒ to get the same rewards as current users. ALL THIS is hearsay, I have no info direct from the devs.

When STW goes on sale to $20, which itís done at least 3 times, itís a pretty good deal at that price point. You cAN spend more to get v-bucks faster, but thatís honestly only for super impatient players. Thereís SO MUCH good stuff thatís handed out or bought with currency thatís only obtainable from gameplay. Itís a good ďIíve got a half hour, lemme knock out a missionĒ game, since itís all self-contained randomly generated maps.

Edit:
from the patch notes:
Starting July 17, Save the World will be on sale on Xbox, PS4, and PC for a limited time. Super Deluxe and Limited Founders packs will return for the duration of the sale.

News Comments > Fortnite 5.0 Kicks Off Season 5
5. Re: Fortnite 5.0 Kicks Off Season 5 Jul 12, 2018, 11:15 HoSpanky

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 10:59:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 10:20:
The BR mode is the most popular because it is free, but the PVE stuff is way better, IMO. It also got an update, but because you have to pay to access it, there are far fewer players and less media coverage. My girlfriend and I have gotten addicted recently, which is awesome because after the first few stages of the alpha I didn't relly like the direction it was going but now it seems to be back on track during early access.

Has the standard edition ever been on sale?

Standard edition has been on sale multiple times. My wife and I play the STW mode quite a bit, although the story ends (currently) when you enter the third zone. Patch 5.1 will start rectifying that, with ďpart 1Ē of the third zoneís story. Itís told entirely in audio clips, but the voice work is top notch and almost always very funny. Each event also has story stuff, the one that just ended had one of the funnier story arcs theyíve done. It involved a robot that got a ďsilver screen announcerĒ voice with the mental facilities of a five year old, a teenager who was convinced that the storm was going to kill his time traveling baby, and a rather sad story about a loner hero that kills husks in apparently grotesquely over the top ways. Even that last one managed to have funny bits, because Ray (the main voiced character, a robot determined to keep humanity alive) doesnít understand humans much.

No matter how much you dislike the idea of playing Battle Royale, Save The World is a surprisingly fun game, that is generous enough with its loot that you donít ever need to spend real money to keep advancing. The chat channels are packed with idiot kids and beggars, but play it with friends and youíll find a fun, solid, and often laugh-out-loud funny (intentionally and unintentionally) game.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jul 12, 2018, 07:43 HoSpanky

Slick wrote on Jul 11, 2018, 10:34:
Oh Shroud... if he wasn't so lovable I'd be disappointed, but all I can do is laugh at him doing something so stupid. Seems he has the same outlook...

After seeing how streamers feel like their lives are gone and theyíre trapped in their homes, I think I agree with a handful of the commenters...he knew what he was doing. Heís got himself a vacation now.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 11, 2018, 20:42 HoSpanky

Holy shit @ Superfly Johnson

I still have a sealed, Romero-signed copy of Daikatana. Never felt the urge to play it.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 11, 2018, 16:07 HoSpanky

For what YOU used it for, yeah, severe disadvantage. I tried Elite Dangerous in VR, which is AMAZING when looking around the cockpit. Seeing targets? Not so much.

Youíre really missing out on what Vr allows for by playing what you already know, or something not really made for VR. Itís like going to the beach and insisting on playing football. The conditions are terrible for it, try something you canít do elsewhere, like parasailing.

In VR, that all translates to ďtry the room scale stuff, itís so much better than you thinkĒ. Budget Cuts is an awesome example of doing it right. Airmech Command is an RTS that would be unremarkable if it wasnít in VR. Vanishing Realms has unimpressive graphics, but you wonít care about it when you successfully throw a rock at a goblet perched 5 feet up on a ledge. VR isnít just the headset; if thatís as far as youíve taken it, youíve ignored the best use for VR. You absolutely canít use motion controls outside of VR. Itís the combination of an ďendless monitorĒ and controllers that are where your hands are, not putting your hands where the controllers are.

VR canít play every genre of game better than pancakes. Itís made for something else entirely. Try something it excels at, and your ďmehĒ opinion may be changed. Isnít the entire point of gaming to do something you havenít done before?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 11, 2018, 11:53 HoSpanky

Scheherazade, youíre half right. But you clearly werenít using it for its intended purpose.

- You shouldnít be playing anything in VR that plays competitively against pancake players, thatís a HUGE mistake. Letís ignore resolution entirely, as that will eventually be on par. What wonít ever ďcatch upĒ is our poor weak human bodies. You canít physically turn and aim like a pancake mouse/kB player. Something as simple as ducking is a quick button press, versus someone having to physically drop down.

-if you had any input lag, thatís not the current VR setupís fault unless you were using some off-brand thing. Vive and Rift both have no discernable input lag, unless the game itself is lagging. Considering you appeared to have been playing something that work on both Vr and pancake, I assume it was something that probably wasnít made for Vr to begin with, and has effects that can cause abysmal slowdown.

VR wonít ever look as pretty as pancake games do, because itís WAY more demanding. People who think it will eventually look just as good are technologically retarded. Resolution will improve, and the sooner devs and VR promoters push SLI, the faster itíll look better. Second gen headsets should include eye tracking and foveated rendering, allowing for higher resolution screens without as bad of a performance hit.

The benefit is the completely different way you play, and the possibilities allowed by it. If youíre just playing the same old things, thatís *your* mistake. The best VR titles keep the game ďcloseĒ...not just due to low resolution, but because thatís where the difference is best felt. Once an object is 75-100 feet away from you, depth perception matters less.

I donít think VR is ready for mass consumption yet. The current sets are there to make the tech available to anyone who wants to try to figure out how to best use this new medium. Games are weird and have no standard, like how pancake games all use WASD and a mouse to move now, but that wasnít always the case. VR is so alien in nature compared to how games are normally done that programmers still spend a HUGE amount of their development budget on basic interaction functionality.

So, I agree that VR isnít ready for prime time, but I do think your experience may have been sub-par. What were you playing, and playing ON?

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Jul 10, 2018, 23:44 HoSpanky

ďYou want to know how I got these scars? Well, two are from some crazy shit. This other one was from cleft lip surgery.Ē  

News Comments > Steam Competitor Coming from China
25. Re: Steam Competitor Coming from China Jul 9, 2018, 16:16 HoSpanky

Veinman wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 16:10:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 15:36:
DangerDog wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 15:35:
Harf Rife 3 confirmed

That's kind of racist.

Nope, it's completely racist.

Yep, and I laughed.

News Comments > AirMech Wastelands Leaves Early Access
2. Re: AirMech Wastelands Leaves Early Access Jul 9, 2018, 10:37 HoSpanky

Just wish theyíd focus on actually fixing the issue with Airmech Command refusing to run multiplayer, but still clearly able to see their servers (as the game wonít even run without it). Theyíre oddly silent about it. Only saying stuff like ďwe see people playing it so we donít know why multiplayer doesnít workĒ.

Iíd like a log file that states why the game has greyed out the multiplayer features, thatíd go a long way to fixing the issue. Is there one? No clue! The devs donít discuss THAT game.

1936 Comments. 97 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo