Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1218 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
1. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Jun 8, 2015, 13:37 HoSpanky

So, up until yesterday, I was enjoying W3, but mostly because of quest structure. That all changed about halfway through the quest chain for the Bloody Baron. That's when the Hard Choices start happening, and by the time I completed the quest chain, hours and hours later, I was finally emotionally invested in the game. At the end of it, I found an item on the ground, in a place you might not look. While it wasn't something I'd want anyway, I left it there because it felt WRONG to take it. Morally, stomach-churningly wrong. No game has ever had that effect, which I can only attribute to great writing, voice acting, and animation that combines to Make Me Give A Shit.

The characters feel...human. No, they're not visually convincing, but they're clearly not just there as a Quest Giver. I have high hopes for the rest of the game, I know I only just finished the first major "chapter", but it had more going on in it than most games in their entirety.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Indie Developers on Steam Refunds
30. Re: Indie Developers on Steam Refunds Jun 8, 2015, 13:18 HoSpanky

So, let's ignore that the game from Qwiboo in question is $2, and went from decent sales to a 73% return rate, despite having good reviews. It's a score-chasing game, and most people will have had their fill within 2 hours. It's also two f'n dollars.

Ignoring that, do the games still pump out cards? I could see people farming cards this way, for free, and then selling them on the steam market. The cards shouldn't start showing up until that 2 hour limit is hit.

I'm a-ok with a low-priced, short game. I have TONS of steam games with 2 hours or less in them (as well as an embarassing number at zero minutes played). Indie studios generally can't afford to make a longer game initially, they rely on their first titles to fund their longer, more ambitious ones. You guys sit here saying "no one would play thru a good game and return it anyway", apparently having never met The Human Race.

I agree there should be a monetary threshold for the refunds. Anything under $5 is an impulse buy anyway, and should be only returnable if it flat-out doesn't work.

Sorry this post is badly assembled. I'm trying to NOT have caffeine and it's really messing with me.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 7, 2015, 14:22 HoSpanky

So, People are mad that a man is fed up with people leaving their dog's crap in his yard? They should be happy it was chocolate chips and not poisoned food.  

News Comments > Amazon's Big PC Game Ambitions
9. Re: Amazon's Big PC Game Ambitions Jun 6, 2015, 14:17 HoSpanky

Hrm. We'll see what happens here, it seems unlikely they'll make anything truly innovative, but who knows?

Maybe they'll make a VR game called Amazon Warehouse Simulator, where you rush to pick as many items from the racks (let's be frank...they're all dildos) as possible before passing out from the heat.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Livestream Today
1. Re: Heroes of the Storm Livestream Today Jun 6, 2015, 12:47 HoSpanky

New content? Maybe a new arena coming soon?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2015, 10:39 HoSpanky

Lulz @ vegans outliving meat eaters...as if that's the ONLY variable. That garbage cracks me up, if you spend all your time doing things you don't enjoy (like eating kale), then does it MATTER that you're living longer? Oh BOY you can extend your own self-prescribed misery!

Also, being a vegan doesn't stop you from dying to millions of other possible things. That bus you stepped out in front of doesn't give a fuck what you eat.

Also, I find it more appalling that people think high school graduation is something amazing, instead of expected, than people being booted for being too loud. "OH MY GOD you're kind of competent WOOOOOO!"

This comment was edited on Jun 6, 2015, 10:44.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patched
17. Re: The Witcher 3 Patched Jun 5, 2015, 19:22 HoSpanky

MajorD wrote on Jun 5, 2015, 18:35:
I've never played a Witcher game, but this one (3) has peaked my interest; however, is it recommended I play 1 and/or 2 before playing 3? How are the KB&M controls, is it a good port?

The game runs quite nicely, and it's a great game. I didn't play the first two, you can infer a lot of things that happened just from conversations in the game. I use a controller, can't comment on KB&M controls.

The game is...different from most. There's a LOT of conversations, and minor research you have to do on your own. Monster weaknesses are not displayed when fighting them, but you DO carry a bestiary which may or may not have info on the thing you're fighting in it. You'll spend 20 minutes talking to people and investigating the areas the problem has occurred before finding the monster/human who did it, and god help you if you aren't ready for it.
Basically, if you enjoy conversations and choices that have ACTUAL consequences (and often not the one you may have expected), along with some surprisingly frantic fighting, this is your game.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 5, 2015, 15:52 HoSpanky

Per Google Chrome function:

Will it block those annoying ads that play audio a couple minutes AFTER you go to the site, with no moving video? They do this to make it harder to find/stop the ad, and WoWhead uses them all the time. They KNOW people leave the site up and alt-tab back and forth, and after 2-3 minutes, it blares out an incredibly long, impossible to find audio ad. My girlfriend gets all OCD over one task or another and will have multiple wowhead windows open at once...it's SO wonderful when an ad for soap plays 3 times over itself.

News Comments > Steam Controller Video
19. Re: Steam Controller Video Jun 5, 2015, 14:42 HoSpanky

Luke, your comments are completely useless. Do you like ANYTHING? I only read the last 20 or so posts from you but every one of them is "Faceshit and Steamspy lulz". You never actually contribute to a discussion. What games DO you play, since you hate every platform available?

Back to the actual subject, I looked at the specs for the SteamLink, and while they ponied up for Wireless AC, it's only got a 100mb Ethernet port on it. Seemed odd. Typo maybe?

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jun 5, 2015, 13:58 HoSpanky

If the story ISN'T about a poor kid who rises to millionaire through playing basketball, then I'll be impressed. Because that's literally the only storyline there is, it's the same story in every goddamn sports movie ever made.  

News Comments > Morning Patches
2. Re: Morning Patches Jun 3, 2015, 12:04 HoSpanky

Agreed. Look, Horse Armor! At least they're not charging for it.  

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Launches
19. Re: Heroes of the Storm Launches Jun 3, 2015, 10:33 HoSpanky

What advantage? Can they play them all at once? If ONE of them is an overpowered badass, that'd be what you'd spend your gold on initially and never buy another.

Your argument is flawed.

I will admit having only played DOTA2 in beta. It was full of people complaining that I was dragging them down, since I had no clue what the hero I took did, and was learning on the fly. Inevitably I'd be far lower level than my teammates, and several times they'd all quit in the first few minutes rather than stick it out so I could get a decent grip on that character. I found the game impenetrable due to this, and quit playing after maybe 4 days.

Enter HOTS, where everyone on your team levels at the same speed. This means newbies can stick to XP soaking, which keeps them useful without needing to know their character well enough to build toward a specific combo. Having only 5-7 (depending on player level) free toons to pick from a week means they're not overwhelmed by choice. When they DO find one they really like, they've likely got plenty of Gold (it comes fast early on) to pick it up.

HOTS is gorgeous if you have the muscle to crank it up. I have a machine with a 560ti in it in the living room that can barely manage the game on Medium. A single 760 can run it on Ultra with a little frame dropping, and my 970 plows through with no difficulty.

I prefer HOTS simply because it isn't designed to make new players feel like outcasts, and I was able to get my friends (and girlfriend) into it due to that smooth accessibility. Having recognizable characters, with abilities that fit them, is also a bonus.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 3, 2015, 09:29 HoSpanky

I'm not so sure they got BETTER...feel more like maybe people just hated Comcast a bit more this year. Also, I'm expecting that Ubi has messed up more than EA this last year.  

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Launches
16. Re: Heroes of the Storm Launches Jun 3, 2015, 08:42 HoSpanky

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 05:53:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 23:03:
Uhh, yeah. There's nothing P2W about it.
Other than the entire business model. Hiding characters behind a paywall makes it P2W, something that Dota 2 doesn't do. Sure you can acquire them through gold but players that spend real money on the game have an advantage.

Valve got the business model just right with Dota 2, whereas HotS is all about grind and microtransactions.

Have you actually PLAYED the game? If you don't have an entire team you always play with, you don't know what characters your teammates will have. You never know what your enemies have until the game has started, and you don't know what map you'll be on.
So, EXPLAIN, please, how it's p2w, because there's no single Super Badass. Not having all the characters is NOT a disadvantage, and the ones you like are easy enough to buy with the in-game coins.
Complain about the simpler mechanics, maybe (altho they're what make the game accessible to my friends), but Blizzard is being pretty generous with the character-purchasing gold. Having to "buy" a character makes it feel more worthwhile to learn each one, rather than having people constantly joining your team with no clue what they're doing. The weeks Abathur is in free rotation are awful, he's an incredibly weird character that I've never seen anyone play effectively.

The complaints in this thread seem more about a hatred of Blizzard, or maybe an "intruder" in the MOBA category, than actual valid complaints about the game itself.

News Comments > NVIDIA Launches GTX 980ti; New Drivers; & GSYNC Features
10. Re: NVIDIA Launches GTX 980ti; New Drivers; & GSYNC Features Jun 1, 2015, 10:51 HoSpanky

I'd really like to get a g-sync monitor, but neither of the current manufacturers are trustworthy. I went through 3 Acer monitors over a weekend, each one had stuck pixels. Ended up just getting my money back and buying an LG.

Asus monitors don't have the best reputation either, it'd have been nice to see Nvidia partner with Samsung or LG. At the insane prices they're asking, you'd expect the monitors to be the best thing that company's ever made, but current g-sync monitors are getting bad reviews...if it's a $900 monitor, it's better be getting Dell-level reviews.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 May 31, 2015, 19:36 HoSpanky

I have to leave the side panel off my case when I run GtAV or W3, they both crank up the video cards.

In W3, it would crash, in GTAV it would start stuttering. Side panel off solved both.

MY issue was I thought I'd go single-card, and bought an ACX-cooled video card. Then the second was the same, and I should have bought rear-venting cards. Oh well. Side off doesn't hurt anything and my case interior is fucking immaculate anyway. The ambient heat was so bad with the side panel that the processor was getting toasty (corsair h80i, set to turn red at 75C). The cards shoot all the heat right out the side, and it behaves like a champ.

Point is: overheating is absolutely a possibility for W3 crashes. I've accepted that my rig has to run wide open to be reliable...OR I buy a less sexy case. Fuck that.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 31, 2015, 13:13 HoSpanky

Oooo Sho, that's an interesting trip! I'd be interested to hear if it's really as built into the culture as it seems.

I dunno if Australia is where I'd move to for any length of time. That place is packed end-to-end with Things That Want To Kill You.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. May 30, 2015, 22:14 HoSpanky

Totally forgot about the frag dolls.  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
5. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs May 30, 2015, 16:57 HoSpanky

Since the Internet has done a piss poor job of self-regulating these idiots, the government is stepping in. Why is this a surprise? Being a smartmouth is one thing, posting personal info and death threats is another.  

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Launch Event
2. Re: Heroes of the Storm Launch Event May 29, 2015, 15:31 HoSpanky

Axis wrote on May 29, 2015, 14:16:
I'll preface this with the fact I generally don't like mobas, so...

...I played this during beta, and disliked it more than most.

I suppose it's the over-the-top rockstar-type glamor sensationalized style they made each character - totally uninteresting to me.

I don't understand what you mean by that. The characters are exactly the same as they are in their respective games, plus a higher detail level. Their attacks are similar to their abilities in their original games as well, if they were actually playable.

I actually like that they're so expressively animated, and each one is quite unique. They added the human part to Hammer so that there was a face for the sassy southern voice (she sadly looks like a WoW dwarf, making me think she should sound Scottish). Art is always subjective, altho considering it's a Blizzard game, what did you THINK it would look like?

1218 Comments. 61 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo