Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1335 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Voice Actors Authorize Strike
14. Re: Voice Actors Authorize Strike Oct 8, 2015, 12:42 HoSpanky

The people complaining that it's "just voice acting" and "their demands are unreasonable" haven't done an ounce of reading on this. The demands are...pretty reasonable. Asking for an extra $3300 for every two million copies sold is VERY reasonable. Asking to be paid extra for "stressful" recording isn't unreasonable. They don't mean "when I sound stressed", they mean "when they want me to yell myself hoarse for 6 hours, ruining my voice for several days". Think about how much yelling there is in games. It's a lot!

Initially I thought this was silly, like most everyone on here. Read into it, it's not absurd.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Bans
5. Re: Heroes of the Storm Bans Oct 7, 2015, 23:15 HoSpanky

Had a lot of gold, picked up Morales. Her heals are a constant stream, allowing her to fight while healing. Heals don't drain mana if your target is at full health. Didn't try the dropship yet, the Stimbot is a more entertaining Ultimate.

Disappointed that not ONE of her audio lines is dirty. Makes her not feel like a Starcraft medic.

News Comments > The Crew: Wild Hunt Beta This Month
5. Re: The Crew: Wild Hunt Beta This Month Oct 5, 2015, 22:18 HoSpanky

I plan on picking this game up at the $10 mark. When it came out, it would have been an insta-purchase if Forza Horizon 2 didn't come stomping in and shit all over it. I'm pretty much done with FH2, but it scratched the racing game itch so well that I don't really want another one quite yet.  

News Comments > Burnout "Spiritual Successor" Revealed
6. Re: Burnout Oct 2, 2015, 12:03 HoSpanky

I loved the "curated intersections" in the numbered Burnout games, I rarely went on a crash rampage in Paradise.

I loved Paradise because my friends and I would drive around the map doing silly shit, like score challenges in the airplane graveyard. I don't tend to find single-player racing fun, as there's never a story (not anything more than "work your way through the ranks to be the best driver EVAR!!1!"), so it needs to have multiplayer my friends will enjoy. Or, in the case of Forza Horizon 2, a brilliant, chained multiplayer setup that gives people time for a breather between races AND makes that breather time fun for those who are staying put before the next race. It's a design I expect to see happen in other racing games, and it's crazy hard to walk away except MAYBE after a championship ends and people vote on a car class you don't enjoy for the next one.

I'll honestly just be happy if they go back to colorful, fun-to-explore tracks (or a world), ridiculous wrecks and some goofy multiplayer modes.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: Just Cause 3 Will Support Mods Oct 2, 2015, 11:54 HoSpanky

Mreh, at least he actually listened to some of what was being said. Especially the part about "if you were actually interested in it, you'd enjoy watching it". That's exactly it. I don't give a flying fuck about sports, in general. Honestly I don't care about e-sports either, but it seems like the same thing to me: watch someone ELSE who's incredibly good at the game they're playing. How is that NOT the same thing? Both require fast reflexes and a deep knowledge of the game, the only difference is how much running around is involved.

To me, watching e-sports or football/basketball/whatever is in the exact same bin as watching a 24-hour reality TV stream. You spend all your time watching nothing at all, hoping to see something amazing. I'd rather spend my time watching a movie or scripted TV show that values my time more. Maybe if I bet on games it'd be more important to me? But that'd require me to give a fuck about the intricacies of each team/player involved, and I just can't bring myself to care that much about them.

News Comments > Zangief and Laura in Street Fighter V
1. Re: Zangief and Laura in Street Fighter V Oct 2, 2015, 10:49 HoSpanky

Just the tip, Zangief.  

News Comments > Burnout "Spiritual Successor" Revealed
2. Re: Burnout Oct 2, 2015, 10:46 HoSpanky

A proper sequel to Burnout Paradise would be awesome. There was a Criterion-made NFS (Most Wanted) that was, mostly, BP, but it wasn't FUN. Also, it ran like shit on PC, and continues to do so, with only some view-obscuring effects to show for it. The game world isn't impressive, it's ugly and gray, using the Gears of War color palette.  

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Back on Sale This Month
2. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Back on Sale This Month Oct 2, 2015, 10:42 HoSpanky

Came free with my video card. Will be happy to play this once the "final" patch comes out. It runs PRETTY well after the latest one, but the batmobile causes the game to feel...sluggish in response time. It also drops the framerate a bit, but usually when a game does that it doesn't feel like it's responding late. Batman does. Could also be an issue with SLI, they said they were still working on that.  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
16. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Sep 27, 2015, 10:34 HoSpanky

The Troll guy intentionally ruined other people's businesses. It doesn't matter WHY he did it, he fucked with that artist's life for no apparent reason other than because it amused him.

Maybe he needs some help, but he also shouldn't go free just because he's "got issues". Fuck that. He knew what he was doing. It wasn't an accident or a good-natured "prank" to post online that he was going to plant a bomb. I'm SO tired of seeing people executing CLEARLY well-thought-out plans and then trying to pretend they're also mentally challenged. Nope nope nope. He should get the same treatment as anyone else who'd do that. Once he's ruined someone else's life, his OWN well-being is no longer relevant.

As part of his "rehab", he should not be allowed access to the Internet until he's been given a clean bill of health by a psychiatrist.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 25, 2015, 11:11 HoSpanky

Not a useful article. The guy says "stop making your own boards, there are companies that can make them quickly and cheaper than you can yourself!"

And then doesn't even post a link to a single one of these companies.

News Comments > Star Citizen Departures?
10. Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 25, 2015, 11:01 HoSpanky

The leaked email, if real (and it seems more and more likely that it is), is proof CR can't keep himself under control. He wants his name on the game, but he's doing incredible damage by not letting people just do their jobs.

The whole "un-approved" thing is clear evidence that he doesn't actually have a set vision for the game. Just like Broussard with Duke 4 Ever, he can't let his game actually start settling. He wastes an incredible amount of time, money, effort and morale by having people rebuild things that were a-ok the previous week.

I don't WANT to see this project crash and burn, but Roberts clearly DOES...because otherwise he'd hire someone specifically to reign him in like Lindsay Lohan did. He can't be blind to how little progress they've made.

News Comments > Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking
7. Re: Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking Sep 23, 2015, 10:23 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Sep 23, 2015, 09:59:
I will never understand why "artists" feel they're entitled to work once and get paid forever because of it. The world would grind to a halt if everyone worked the same way. These guys are already vastly overpaid for what they do and it's still not enough. Oh well, when they're replaced with non-union actors, or better still, software, they'll regret their unmitigated selfishness.

So you're saying authors shouldn't get residuals on books that sell for decades? Or musicians who create time-defining albums? Who should get all that continual income? Just the guys who did nothing except front the cost of production? THOSE are the people who should NOT be getting all the profit, yet they ARE. Talentless, soulless pieces of shit who did nothing of note aside from having a large pile of money to begin with.

If something blows up WAY bigger than anyone expected, EVERYONE involved should benefit from that, not JUST investors. Life of Pi won an award for its incredible CG work and brought in crazy profits, while simultaneously bankrupting the company that DID the work, because the studio kept everything.

Naughty Dog games pretty much always get great performances out of their voice actors, as do Rockstar. I think the people who voiced Just Cause 2 owe the developer for their absolute garbage work, just like Hayden Christenson shouldn't be making residuals for being The Shittiest Vader.

tl;dr: I think the people who CAUSE something to be a phenomenon should get paid extra, not the people who funded it.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Hero, Skin, and Mount Plans
1. Re: Heroes of the Storm Hero, Skin, and Mount Plans Sep 21, 2015, 20:12 HoSpanky

Nice, Samus skin for the medic.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 21, 2015, 10:19 HoSpanky

I just thought it was a pathetic bundle. "Buy this video card, get a $10 skin for a character you probably got unlocked from owning a Diablo 3!"

Diablo isn't weak, although they did remove some of his (and Anub'arak's) massive health pool. He's weird, for sure, but his grab ability ends so many people it's ridiculous.

News Comments > Rocket League Revenge of the Battle-Cars DLC Announced
6. Re: Rocket League Revenge of the Battle-Cars DLC Announced Sep 18, 2015, 20:14 HoSpanky

Tom wrote on Sep 18, 2015, 19:37:
Execution man, execution. That's what makes the difference in life.

Yeah, they did everything almost perfectly with Rocket League. Making it free on PSN got it a lot of exposure, the rock-solid online play cemented it. Cross play was a nice surprise that helps populate PC servers, and the completely optional DLC is an appreciated move. Doesn't hurt that the game looks fantastic.

I'd happily pay for a "non-standard arena pack", but they'll be handing those out for free.

News Comments > New EverQuest Expansion Next Month
5. Re: New EverQuest Expansion Next Month Sep 17, 2015, 12:40 HoSpanky

Wow, this is for EQ1? That's nuts! Every time there's a post about WoW, it's full of people saying it's past its prime and whatnot, but it holds up a LOT better than EQ1, which apparently still has enough subs to justify an expansion.

I'm not sure I could play something that looked that crummy though. It'd be like playing the original Tomb Raider again. You can't bring yourself to do it.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Sep 17, 2015, 08:03 HoSpanky

Yeah, this expansion especially, the faction reward mounts are garbage. Oh hey leather workers can craft their own mount! Oh, it's another wolf that looks barely different from the other 7 you got.
My girlfriend is going to buy the reaver mount, but neither of us pay for our subscriptions anymore, so its a little less than paying for a month of service.

News Comments > Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 Free on Origin
14. Re: Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 Free on Origin Sep 16, 2015, 14:37 HoSpanky

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 16, 2015, 14:29:
I hope they fix their servers/key issues quickly; C&C Red Alert 2 is arguably the best game in the whole series, if my admittedly worsening memory serves. I will definitely get this on Origin just to avoid having to pull out the CDs for yet another old game.

Oh come on, RA3 is fan-fucking-tastic! Campaign co-op, Tim Curry and JK Simmons as absurd world leaders, and surprisingly versatile units. When it's $5 (any major steam sale), grab it! The online servers were unfortunately killed off but there's plenty of ways to tunnel if you want to play co-op with a friend.

News Comments > Need for Speed PC Needs More Time
1. Re: Need for Speed PC Needs More Time Sep 14, 2015, 12:56 HoSpanky

Better late than Arkham Knight, although EA's track record says they'd happily hand out a busted game and won't ever fix it.  

News Comments > Quote of the Day
8. Re: Quote of the Day Sep 14, 2015, 12:11 HoSpanky

Naughty Dog is a pretty stellar developer, but everything they've made for the past 10 years has been a third person shooter. Now, I'd trust them to put the focus on story, but I think they'd want to yank away camera control to focus on things, which the Half-Life games never, ever do. Playing with the commentary on shows just how much effort Valve had to put into scenes to get you to naturally look at what they want you to see.

I think they'd have to pump out a pretty convincing Proof Of Concept to even get Valve to CONSIDER it, despite ND's pedigree.

1335 Comments. 67 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo