Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1957 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > AMD Radeon RX Vegas Launch
7. Re: AMD Radeon RX Vegas Launch Aug 14, 2017, 12:49 HoSpanky

Didn't expect much from them to begin with. I will say I'm surprised that it can take on a 1080 (albeit at much higher power consumption and noise level).

For VR especially, these things are a bad investment. Both major game engines being used for VR have VRWorks integrated now, which has already proven to be a big performance jump. AMD has nothing similar, and never tries very hard to work with developers.

These things need to drop at least $100 before they hit what their actual value level is.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 12, 2017, 13:37 HoSpanky

The pharma gouging is forcing people with medicinal needs to out of country sellers. How they didn't see that coming is absurd.

I don't see how it's illegal to sell drugs online, if they're drugs that aren't illegal to sell in the US at crazy high prices.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 11, 2017, 14:59 HoSpanky

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 12:38:
Well, Cyanide and Happiness is an amazing web comic, not sure how it'll translate into a game though.

Could turn out great. The Penny Arcade games were pretty fun, and were packed with in-jokes for their fans. Now, that's a case of "a comic focusing on video games and general geekery spawning a game." C&H doesn't have that advantage, but good game mechanics would take it halfway. As long as the game can hold onto C&H's humor, that's the other half. Writing in a game can make or break it...no one would even remember Portal now if it didn't have its mostly-unseen antagonist and her brilliant monologues.

Anyway, I'd wait until there are previews/reviews before being too worried about it.

News Comments > South Park: The Fractured But Whole Specs
2. Re: South Park: The Fractured But Whole Specs Aug 11, 2017, 14:41 HoSpanky

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 14:34:
Never noticed V-Sync as a minimum/recommended spec before

Yeah, I found that odd, but it's likely so they get raw framerate...turning it on will put much higher demands on the video card to hit 60fps.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 10, 2017, 09:27 HoSpanky

Pigeon wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 08:48:
A quick search suggests the graphics hardware is not available to run most modern games at or near 144 FPS @4k. Even two 1080tiís in SLI are only hitting around 60FPS in many games, seems like they could wait till 2019. Though Iím sure there are a lot of people who would(will) throw money their money at them regardless, because OMG 4K144GSYNCHDR!!!!!

ehhhh, a large reason to get a g-sync monitor is because it makes sub-60fps games feel much smoother. Also, keep in mind that you're only thinking about NEW games, or games that have super high end graphics. People who play games like DOTA2 would get 100+ fps, and would argue that it's worth it...but again, g-sync's advantage is mostly noticeable at LOW framerates.

I have a 1440p g-sync monitor. At this time, I don't see a reason to bump up to 4K, as aliasing is pretty much gone anyway for me.

News Comments > Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Released
3. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Released Aug 8, 2017, 10:31 HoSpanky

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 10:07:
Looks amazing.... very positive reviews..... 30 bucks..... ok one of these seems off.

It's about a 6 hour long game. I think NT is simply aiming for the price point that people tend to wait to buy single player games at to get the most sales out the gate. Lawbreakers also is $30. Wondering if this is going to be a new trend.

Anyway, I'm gonna pick it up.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 7, 2017, 11:55 HoSpanky

The v-sync article has one interesting tidbit that makes me wonder if I really will hold onto my bonkers-expensive g-sync monitor...g-sync with HDR. It'll depend on how many games support HDR on PC, and I suspect it may be a chicken/egg issue for a while.

So maybe I WILL hold onto this monitor for a while longer. I realllly hope Nvidia gets better monitor partners. LG or Samsung would be preferred.

News Comments > Archangel Released
2. Re: Archangel Released Aug 4, 2017, 07:45 HoSpanky

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Aug 3, 2017, 21:10:
So my last post about my new rift not being up to performance. Turns out my fans on my GeForce 980 ti stopped working. Other than that, I might check this game out if reviews are good

Reviews of it are...meh. Apparently the story and characters aren't remotely engaging, and only the super-pretty on-rails shooter part is any good.

BOTH fans stopped working? Sounds more like the fan controller or the temperature sensor stopped working...but if it was the temp sensor, the card likely would have burned itself up instead of running slow.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2017, 12:55 HoSpanky

Cutter, I'm assuming he was a counselor at that camp, not an attendee.

Sounds like you had a good time, Blue. As a kid, I couldn't comprehend why my parents would plan out entire weekends to do things with their friends...the concept of not seeing them for months/years seemed absurd. Now, even though most of my friends are still local, it's a rare occasion that we can all get together. We generally do a lan party where half the time is spent NOT playing games...another thing kid-me would never have understood.

News Comments > X-Morph: Defense This Month
1. Re: X-Morph: Defense This Month Aug 1, 2017, 19:19 HoSpanky

Yep, already on my steam wishlist. Looks like a good time.  

News Comments > Secret World Legends Launches
2. Re: Secret World Legends Launches Aug 1, 2017, 10:29 HoSpanky

Thanks for the review, Asmodai. I have a friend who was wanting to get us into this game (he bought a lifetime account when it first came out). I may still check it out for the storylines, but it sounds like I'm going to be absurdly underpowered and hit a difficulty wall pretty quickly if loot drops are locked behind a paywall.  

News Comments > ARK Gold; Full Release Delayed
6. Re: ARK Gold; Full Release Delayed Jul 31, 2017, 13:35 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Jul 31, 2017, 11:58:
Is this game in a playable state yet? This game alone is the reason to avoid EA games.

That's a good question. It ran like trash last time I checked, on a 1080 at 1440p. had to set everything to low/NES to get a decent framerate, and considering how shitty that looks, it clearly was due to crap optimization.

But that was a LONG time ago. There's been huge performance changes done to UE4, if they've implemented them, maybe it runs decently. I just have zero interest in the game after the miserable EA period where they were WAY more interested in adding content than fixing performance.

News Comments > Descent: Underground Demo
7. Re: Descent: Underground Demo Jul 31, 2017, 13:29 HoSpanky

Nucas wrote on Jul 31, 2017, 13:19:
loomy wrote on Jul 31, 2017, 12:22:
you donate to crowdfunding because you believe in them and their competence, not because they already have a good product. they have slightly admitted that they fucked up, and say they are still working on it. I will give them the benefit of the doubt. they will need to better convince me of their competence if I am to donate however. https://descendentstudios.com/community/topic/4731-a-quick-update/

indeed, that was why i backed overload since it was a professional team of names with experience shipping titles for both publishers and indies. and most importantly, all four of them actually worked on the descent games and are content producers. underground was 8 pricks with "director" titles and a list of completely random games they're associated with in some nebulous way; and none of them were descent.

i feel bad for anyone who gave money to the underground guys. and that "update" has the mewling, conciliatory tone of every failed kickstarter project on the decline that i've ever seen. these guys have had 2 years and over half a million dollars and are acting like its all out of their hands.

Anyone know where the development of this game is located? Is it in the US? Is it in a typically high-cost area? I've always wondered why a LOT of game companies are based in typically high-rent areas...wouldn't their investors be more impressed with them setting up shop somewhere cheap?

My point is, if they're doing the dev work in California, that half million is gonna dry up crazy fast. If they're in Ohio, it'll go a LOT further.

News Comments > Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Trailer
4. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Trailer Jul 29, 2017, 00:15 HoSpanky

Slim, it may be cheap because their previous games just didn't move many copies at full price. I'm a little unnerved by it as well, part of why I'm waiting on reviews.

It's funny, we all wait for games to go on sale, and this one may be just shooting for mid-life pricing out the gate and we think "what's wrong with it?".

News Comments > Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Trailer
1. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Trailer Jul 28, 2017, 16:04 HoSpanky

Ninja Theory tend to make gorgeous games with a heavy focus on story presentation. There's usually no replay value, but at $30...I may bite. I'll wait until release and make sure it isn't a complete bug ridden mess, like any sane person. Hoping this is more Heavenly Sword than Enslaved.  

News Comments > Destiny 2 Beta Next Month; Specs Revealed
12. Re: Destiny 2 Beta Next Month; Specs Revealed Jul 28, 2017, 16:01 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Jul 28, 2017, 14:41:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 28, 2017, 14:21:
Cutter wrote on Jul 28, 2017, 14:06:
Rec specs are a bit of a pigfucker aren't they considering they'll run just fine on crappy ol' consoles. Sounds like it's going to be an unoptimized POS. And if it doesn't run on Win 7 they may as well not even bother.
All the new consoles are 8GB.

I was thinking in terms of CPU/GPU. Enh, guess we'll see.

Consoles always, ALWAYS punch above their weight class. Having a locked hardware/software target is WAY easier to work with than the PC's hardware parade. Take a look at Horizon Zero Dawn or any Uncharted game as proof. Also, keep in mind that consoles are running Destiny 2 at 30fps, while most PC gamers assume 60 minimum.

News Comments > KryptCrawler Released
6. Re: KryptCrawler Released Jul 26, 2017, 15:55 HoSpanky

Those complaining about the graphics have clearly not played anything in VR. Your brain buys in, whole-hog, no matter how it looks. Also, they have to hold a *steady* 90fps, ANY hitching is nauseating. Games that are prettier tend to be confined to very small rooms to keep that framerate solid. There are some games that manage to be pretty AND run smoothly, but those are universally huge-budget games.

I admit it doesn't have any interesting enemies shown in the trailer, everything shown looks crazy generic. Still, aside from Vanishing Realms, which is sadly quite short (around 3 hours), there haven't been any dungeon crawlers, so beggars can't really be choosers.

Doesn't matter much to me anyway. I don't have a Rift, I refuse to use ReVive, so this game won't see any money from me unless they scoot over to Steam.

News Comments > Crisis Action VR Early Access
14. Re: LG VR HMD Specs Jul 25, 2017, 23:37 HoSpanky

Oh dear lord Horrorscope, have you not downloaded The Lab on Steam yet? Grab it and RecRoom. Both are free. The Lab has visuals that make you wonder WTF all these other devs are doing, as it's not only super detailed, but runs like a champ. Lots of little games in it.

RecRoom is THE multiplayer game for VR, don't let the cartooney look drive you away.

News Comments > Crisis Action VR Early Access
9. Re: Crisis Action VR Early Access Jul 25, 2017, 16:26 HoSpanky

Luke wrote on Jul 25, 2017, 15:34:
As always let's pump this hardware out there will always be someone thinking its the comming of Christ....people never learn

I'm not sure what you're bitching about here. VR hardware? This game?

News Comments > PC Building Simulator This Fall
6. Re: PC Building Simulator This Fall Jul 25, 2017, 13:53 HoSpanky

Seems like this is a solution looking for a problem. Someone looking to build a pc for the first time would be better served using YouTube tutorials...you know, since they don't require you to have a pc to watch them.

1957 Comments. 98 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo