Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Bend, OR 04/29

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1470 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: iPhone Mar 21, 2016, 11:53 HoSpanky

They don't mention if she was charging the phone when it burst into flames. Information like "she was using the plane's USB charging port or power outlet" would be useful, as they're notoriously problematic. Two of us ruined chargers in them on the way to Germany from using the ports on the plane.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 17, 2016, 16:00 HoSpanky

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 17, 2016, 13:48:
Yesterday there were links to the launch titles for both Vive and Rift. Along with theater mode which should make any game look like a big screen with the headset and other things in development. It seems like a fair enough start, back in the day... QuakeGL and it grew from that.

I have issues with the Theater mode for gaming. I think it'll work great for movies, Allowing 3D movies to look fan-fucking-tastic. But for gaming, no way. It'd work fine for something that uses very little of your system to run, but they show people using it for GTAV, which ALREADY struggles to run at a solid 60FPS on most machines. Adding in ANOTHER environment rendered outside the game, at 75 FPS, would murder performance. ALSO, any text in the game will be an unreadable mess due to the lowered resolution of the two screens, and the smaller space of those pixels that the ACTUAL GAME uses.

News Comments > BELOW This Summer; New Trailer
3. Re: BELOW This Summer; New Trailer Mar 17, 2016, 12:51 HoSpanky

No mention of co-op, which isn't a deal-breaker.

This is from the company that made a co-op online puzzle game with prettier art than you've ever seen in the genre, so I was kinda hoping to see some multiplayer here. But the artwork is interesting, and it doesn't appear to be another Diablo-type of game with dozens of enemies at once. I'm definitely going to be paying attention to this one.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 17, 2016, 11:27 HoSpanky

The first article is right; everything we've really seen for the PC VR has been tech demos or very short experiences that appear to be little more than the VR equivalent of a lame mobile phone game. Elite: Dangerous and Project Cars are the only two "full games" for VR, and they already were full games before VR. Of those two, only E:D is announced for both Oculus and Vive.
I'm excited to get my headset, but I'm seriously concerned about longevity. The current listings of games are aimed more at showing it off than actually using it for a full adventure.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2016, 11:43 HoSpanky

nin wrote on Mar 16, 2016, 11:14:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 16, 2016, 11:12:
Answer: It all depends on how awesome or not your experience is. If you put it on and are immersed like never before and are in shock of how awesome it is. You open you wallet, that's how it all works. The difference here is immersion which is a big part of gaming. We'll see.

That's very much how we all got into 3d cards in the 90s. All it took was seeing something running in glide, and I was sold, cost be dammed...

Right. I've got that ONE friend who still thinks VR is "just another way to do 3D, and no one liked that". I'm betting he's going to have a very different opinion of it when he tries it. He'll probably immediately complain that the first games aren't anything more than something you play for 15 minutes and you're done.

News Comments > Battlezone Trailer Shows Campaign & VR
6. Re: Battlezone Trailer Shows Campaign & VR Mar 15, 2016, 07:39 HoSpanky

I'm just glad to see a VR game that claims to have a campaign. Aside from Elite:Dangerous, which isn't VR exclusive, all I've seen is stuff that looks like tech demos. Yes, we need short, interesting experiences to get people excited about the tech, but we also need something with more than 3 minutes' worth of stuff to do.

Also, yes, raw performance is a concern again, where it hasn't been for years. This is good news! It means developers will work toward having efficient code again.

News Comments > SteamVR Desktop Theater Testing
4. Re: SteamVR Desktop Theater Testing Mar 13, 2016, 16:41 HoSpanky

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 13, 2016, 16:38:
There was a Star Trek Enterprise D tech demo, and also a Voyager demo that was done for one of the headsets, which I would love to play with buut no way am I getting a headset in the next 10 years

ten years? In like, 3, the original Vives will be around $200 used.

News Comments > Tom Clancy's The Division Sets Ubi Records
21. Re: Tom Clancy's The Division Sets Ubi Records Mar 10, 2016, 08:26 HoSpanky

I'm enjoying the game, just annoyed that I have to run it single-card to keep it playable. I'd be more forgiving if they hadn't bragged about it on the store page, with this gem that is now conspicuously absent:

• Multi-GPU support: unleash the graphic power of the best computer set ups for jaw-dropping graphics powered by Massive Entertainment’s game engine Snowdrop.

Like usual, Ubi will fix this problem in 6 months when no one cares about the game anymore. Aaaand this is the last Ubi game I buy within the first 6 months. If they want me paying full price, I want a fully functional title.

News Comments > The Division Tips
24. Re: The Division Tips Mar 9, 2016, 19:09 HoSpanky

1badmf wrote on Mar 9, 2016, 18:55
uestion - can steam users and uplay users play together? do we play on the same servers, just different clients? i really need division bros to back me up. surprised and relieved that hard mode was actually hard. i solo'd all the hard mode stuff in beta, easily. [/quote:

It's all through Uplay in the end anyway, so yes, you can. I have a Uplay (GMG) copy and the other person I play with is using a steam purchased copy.

So, with one card on a g-sync monitor, the game runs shockingly smoothly. The frame counter in the corner fluctuates in the 40s (1440p, on a 970) with the High preset and no vsync. But it moves nicely, unlike the stuttering mess SLI is, despite claiming it's at 70+.

I love my SLI setup, but g-sync may have killed the need for it, and fewer games seem to work with SLI lately. I'm heavily leaning toward a single badass Jasper card, if they turn out to be a massive leap in performance.

12. Re: The Division Tips Mar 9, 2016, 15:04 HoSpanky

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 9, 2016, 12:20:
I am running a single 970 and everything set to the max, 1080p.
The benchmark tool gave me avg 60fps
Might have vsync enabled forgot to check.

Not sure why you are getting bad performance with your cards.
I am running Win10 and the second last Nvidia drivers.
I didn't install the ones they've just came out with yesterday

I have a pair of 970s. I'm running at 1440p, so I understand I'm going to get worse performance than at 1080p. I'm seeing lots of threads stating that performance is IMPROVED by dropping to one card. I'm not TERRIBLY worried, Ubi's games have often come out with shit SLI support, and then it gets patched later....in Far Cry 4's case, it took them 6 months. I'm hoping it's a bit quicker than that for this one, although the almost-constant fuckup at launch for SLI makes me wonder why I bought this game day 1.

7. Re: The Division Tips Mar 9, 2016, 12:11 HoSpanky

I had fun with it last night, but was terribly distracted by the piss-poor performance my pair of 970s seemed to be getting. Looking on message boards showed that I'm not alone, SLI is broken in The Division right now. You get better performance from one card than two, despite both cards running at a near-constant 97%.

I haven't SEEN a sniper rifle yet, but I'm glad they're in there...right now the way we deal with Snipers is distract them and the other runs right up on them.

It's a pretty game, even at the lowest setting (which runs as poorly as the High setting for me). It seems to have AA of some sort always going, even at its lowest. I'm betting this is because the game is a jagged mess without it.

We went through a mission to unlock the Security wing, on Hard. Was a surprising leap in difficulty, but far more engaging than Normal. Took us an hour or so, instead of 10-15 minutes, and made us plan out attacks. There's an unfortunate lack of variety in the enemies, but they're decent enough AI-wise to make it exciting.

News Comments > GeForce Driver Beta
2. Re: GeForce Driver Beta Mar 9, 2016, 09:13 HoSpanky

Played The Division last night...SLI technically is doing...something, but it's not improving performance. Both cards are running constantly around 97%, but my framerate hovers around 50-60...less than what I get using a single card. the game lurches a bit as well, which is odd because you're never moving terribly fast.

Frustratingly, this was NOT my experience during the beta. It ran quite a bit smoother.

So hopefully it's something stupid and it'll be fixed within a few days. I do understand that SLI isn't particularly common, but they DID have it working.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
18. Re: New GeForce Drivers Mar 8, 2016, 09:29 HoSpanky

I run a pair of 970s, and have had no memory-limit-related issues with them. I run a 1440p g-sync monitor, and nothing I've thrown at them gives them any trouble, except obviously for titles with crap SLI functionality. Assassin's Creed Rogue has...issues with snow with SLI enabled.

Heroes of the Storm doesn't scroll liquid smoothly, which is odd because SC2 absolutely DOES, and it's the same engine. This is despite the game running at 70-90 FPS, and SLI doesn't even figure in since the game flips the fuck OUT when it's on. WoW obviously runs butter smooth, only Planetary Annihilation on max settings causes any performance issues, and the friend I was playing with who has a 980 had the same problem. That half a gig isn't the issue there.

That said, if Jasper has hardware AC, on top of the die shrink and HBM2, and it actually adds tho to a significant improvement...I'll probably end up upgrading again. The girlfriend could use a bump up in GPU muscle, and I can sell the other card to one of my woefully behind-the-curve friends.

Prolly will have The Division here within a couple days. Only one of my friends was interested enough to also buy it, so we'll be lookin for people interested in accidentally being shot in the back of the head by me.

News Comments > Hitman DirectX 12 Support
27. Re: Hitman DirectX 12 Support Mar 6, 2016, 08:48 HoSpanky

Really, the question here is "how much time did they invest in AC functionality". If it was a quick thing to implement, then AMD will have a big advantage unless Jasper cards come with hardware AC. If it took them 4-6 months to get it working, then....no, no, it won't matter.
Every technology has a couple of games that are showcases for it. They never mention how much time it took to implement these features, usually because it's generally restrictive. There are also often incompatibilities with other technologies, rendering any gains moot. I'm not saying AC is one of those, but that's USUALLY the way these things shake out. Basically, if the tech is picked up by all the games coming out this Christmas, we'll know it's fairly easy to implement, and doesn't cause issues elsewhere. Otherwise, it's a pain in the ass, will show up in only one out of every 50 games, and isn't a reason to bet on red.

News Comments > Hitman DirectX 12 Support
6. Re: Hitman DirectX 12 Support Mar 5, 2016, 16:48 HoSpanky

Quboid, I think it's a bit of both, altho seeing AMD gain 20% while nvidia gains zilch makes AMD feel like they made a better card, it could also be that Nvidia already had their cards running in badass mode from the start.
We'll see if the Jasper cards bring async compute along with the ridiculous number of other improvements.

Also, these are the results from ONE GAME. Let's see how things shake out when there's a couple dozen to compare. This borderless window/no SLI/forced vsync bullshit needs to get sorted out, however. Gsync is weird with windowed games or when v-sync is already on, and SLI has been perfectly fine for YEARS and they're just gonna act like no one does it.

News Comments > Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die
50. Re: Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die Mar 4, 2016, 15:37 HoSpanky

I don't care if MS wants to sell games in their own store. Every publisher would LOVE to have their own store. Steam, Origin, Uplay, and now the windows store. The Windows store goes for convenience to users over user control, and they go that route WAY too hard. Hopefully they learn from Gears that g-sync, v-sync, and SLI/xfire are things people actually WANT.

Configuring install directories is only slightly more annoying than setting it up in Steam initially. The lack of modability is annoying, but they want to sell DLC, not let other people make free stuff.

If Forza Horizon 3 hits PC, and ISN'T a complete technical disaster, it'll be the first game I'll buy from the Windows store. Because hot DAMN the first two are fantastic games. It's a shame that'll be the only place to get it, but that series is THE reason I bought an Xbone. If I can get it on PC, well...that Xbone can continue gathering dust now that I'm done with FH2.

Well, mostly done. Goddammit just talking about it makes me want to fire it back up.

News Comments > Steam Stops Selling Spintires; Sparks Sabotage Speculation
11. Re: Steam Stops Selling Spintires; Sparks Sabotage Speculation Mar 3, 2016, 08:42 HoSpanky

So from everything I read about this game, ONE GUY seems to be the sole developer. Is that actually true? I haven't bought the game, but it's a rather pretty title for a one-man show.

And if it IS a one-man show, he should release his titles himself on Steam. He'd make a TON more money, and not have to worry about a publisher running away with his profits.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 2, 2016, 17:21 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 12:19:
That's the problem with all this smart bullshit. You have no idea what it's doing.

That's precisely what the company cranking these watches out is banking on (possibly literally).

News Comments > Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Released for Windows 10
22. Re: Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Released for Windows 10 Mar 2, 2016, 17:18 HoSpanky

While this is a remake of a 10 year old game, it IS graphically superior to the original. I'm not making excuses here, it's just that some of you guys seem to think this is the same game from 10 years ago. It's the same levels and story, but the assets have been rebuilt entirely.

The complete lack of options, incompatability with high-end graphics cards and features, and the ridiculous AMD performance ruined their surprise release. While the Windows Store is designed to get things going easier for complete idiots (hence the sandboxing and lack of asking install directory and whatnot), this game CLEARLY doesn't run on hardware OWNED by those idiots. Microsoft can't decide WHO their audience IS, and THAT'S the problem here (aside from the glaring issues with AMD cards).

If they want the hardcore PC crowd's attention, they need to make sure their goofy software package supports those things natively, not COMPLETELY IGNORE them (SLI/crossfire, G-sync, and controllable v-sync options, INSTALL FOLDER). If they want the casual crowd, they're not going to get them with a game that runs at about 4 fps on their integrated graphics chips...they need to release Xbox Arcade-level games that run decently.

I'm hoping this is a lesson ACTUALLY LEARNED, and Forza comes screaming out the gate as an actually decent game.

The whole "win 10 exclusive" isn't even KIND OF a surprise, and being angry that MS won't make it backwards compatible for versions of Windows that they're actively trying to kill is idiotic. EVERY "also on Xbox One" game from MS will be Win10 exclusive. If they continue like Gears, however, the games won't work as leverage.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
2. Re: New GeForce Drivers Mar 2, 2016, 04:23 HoSpanky

Jerykk wrote on Mar 1, 2016, 23:12:
Nvidia recommends a GTX 970 for 1080p60 in Gears of War? A slightly updated version of a game released almost 10 years ago? Seems a bit excessive, though I guess the green team really wants to clear out their current line of cards before announcing the new one.

From what I've read about the game, it needs a 970 because it's horribly optimized. a lot of sites are saying it's a much less finished product than Arkham Knight was on release. Have an AMD card? The game WILL run poorly, with artifacting everywhere, as if they never ever tested with one. G-sync? Better turn it off, this game doesn't work with it, nor SLI, and can ONLY do borderless windowed mode, no dedicated fullscreen. It's pretty bad news when every bit of news you read about a title on release day is about how completely fucked up it is.

1470 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo