Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1770 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Shadow of the Tomb Raider in September?
2. Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider in September? Mar 14, 2018, 11:28 HoSpanky

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 11:22:
YESSSS! One of my favorite game series, at least since the reboot.

Yep, enjoyed both of them so far. The distinct lack of Tomb Raiding makes the title misleading, but ignore that and theyíre great fun.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 13, 2018, 14:47 HoSpanky

Creston wrote on Mar 13, 2018, 10:52:
Is Google also going to build the graphics card required to power it?

All about eye tracking and foveated rendering. You only see CLEARLY in a very small portion of your vision, the rest is assumed detail. Already a little company making eye trackers and their own foveated rendered for Nvidia cards that works in the Vive. Even with the initial setup of it, the gains were around 50%. That was halfway thru 2017, built-in solutions will be even better.

Right now, the real question is ďHow big are those screens?Ē. Pixel density is a real issue to sort out for VR headsets to get sharper. Also, if VR adoption is going to take off, people will need easy, properly-priced access to video cards. The only way thatís going to happen is if one of the video chip makers designs a faster, cheaper chip that canít do video output, or crypto currencies become near worthless.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
7. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Mar 10, 2018, 22:01 HoSpanky

jdreyer wrote on Mar 10, 2018, 19:18:
HoSpanky wrote on Mar 10, 2018, 17:21:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 10, 2018, 13:18:
the industry as a whole spends about $3.4 billion annually in recruiting and training

50% turnover. 50% of that budged blown in the dumpster because companies are greedy assholes that don't understand that you need to pay a living wage first and then you can maybe expect employees not to leave you in droves.. DUH

The entire manual labor pool would need a pay raise. The catch is that if fast food workers suddenly get double their prior pay, EVERYONE will want double their previous pay. No one wants to see some stoner burger flipper suddenly making as much as nursing aides and low-end IT workers, thatís ridiculous and insulting. I doubt my job would pay me double what Iím making if the fast food industry doubled their pay, and so Iím not interested in their pay changing.

Please show me any evidence of this. Burger flippers make $8 an hour. Current campaigns across the US are trying to raise the minimum wage to $15, nearly doubling their salaries. No one anywhere has been complaining that they, too, demand an extra 80% on top of their current salary.

$15 an hour is more than nursing aides make. Base level IT jobs pay about that. You know, jobs that require actual certification. Stuff that requires motivation. Fast food does NOT.

If their pay goes up by $7 an hour, I expect MINE to as well. otherwise what's the point of having actual skills?

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Mar 10, 2018, 17:21 HoSpanky

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 10, 2018, 13:18:
the industry as a whole spends about $3.4 billion annually in recruiting and training

50% turnover. 50% of that budged blown in the dumpster because companies are greedy assholes that don't understand that you need to pay a living wage first and then you can maybe expect employees not to leave you in droves.. DUH

The entire manual labor pool would need a pay raise. The catch is that if fast food workers suddenly get double their prior pay, EVERYONE will want double their previous pay. No one wants to see some stoner burger flipper suddenly making as much as nursing aides and low-end IT workers, thatís ridiculous and insulting. I doubt my job would pay me double what Iím making if the fast food industry doubled their pay, and so Iím not interested in their pay changing.

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Final Beta
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 10, 2018, 10:51 HoSpanky

So, the game offers NO tutorial. Since itís a rather...imprecise game I decided to play with a controller. COULD NOT find weapons. Found a ship, figured out how to make it move. Went to an island.

While running away from skeletons I couldnít fight (no weapons), I hear booming, and see a 4 person ship shoot a few times at my ship, missing every time. Then they stopped firing. I swim out to the ship, itís ONE guy trying to sail this huge ship. I asked him if he knew where to get weapons and he just attacked me so I jumped back overboard. He didnít follow. As I get my ship ready to leave, he gets his ship up to speed, and promptly beaches it. I helpfully shouted ďfuck youuuuuĒ as I sailed away.

Later I discovered that you always have weapons and I didnít notice the tiny sword tip in the corner when I pressed Y.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 9, 2018, 13:09 HoSpanky

Why only battle Royale? If one mode works, the other works. I want to run a 20 minute tower building or hostage rescue mission during lunch goddammit.

Edit: so if the Unreal engine can run Fortnite on a phone...will Rocket League show up as well? THAT is a game made for cellphone play. Short rounds, everything is large so the small screen wouldnít be a major hindrance. Iíd just want it linkable to my Steam copy so I can accumulate stuff in one spot.

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2018, 13:49.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 8, 2018, 15:45 HoSpanky

Ugh, shit like that shouldnít be legal. There are SO many small towns who canít get decent internet because their lawmakers were bought out. In my state, thereís a small ISP thatís all fiber. They go to small towns and say ďweíll make sure everyone within the city limits, and some outside, can get fast, reliable internet. Weíll put in an office in the town square if possible, so that weíre easy to find if you need help.Ē Itís a smart plan. I used to work for them, but they pinch pennies worse than any company Iíve ever worked for, and I cost too much due to prior experience.
So now I work for at&t. That small company has decided to take on the capital city here. Weíre also putting in fiber everywhere, and weíre racing that small company to get coverage. First one to get fiber into a neighborhood gets that neighborhood. We have techs loaned in from 4 other states to help push it in our favor.

THAT is how it should go. Not blocking peopleís access with legislation. Provide, or lose the area to someone who will.

News Comments > Rocket Jockey Announced
1. Re: Rocket Jockey Announced Mar 7, 2018, 11:11 HoSpanky

Holy shit holy shit holy shit

The original game was a RIOT at lans, even tho the net code was a bit broken. This looks to have the same feel, with a much more varied landscape. SO in. For once I actually hope they release it in Early Access, I want it that badly.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
2. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 6, 2018, 13:24 HoSpanky

I always reinstalled this game each time I rebuilt my rig. I finally hit the install limit that EA *still* enforces. Their tech support couldnít fix it.

Forza Horizon is a more-than-acceptable replacement, if not a better game than BP. I REALLY hope EA puts out a proper sequel, but they seem to want to make dudebro garbage instead.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: AT&T empty promises Mar 5, 2018, 11:35 HoSpanky

Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2018, 11:26:
Two years from now, the headline will read "AT&T claims it's met all its promises, despite not actually having spent a single dime on fiber. FCC whorebag Ajit Pai praises AT&T for great work."

Well, I dunno what they're doing in your city, but in mine, AT&T is rolling out fiber like they're worried the copper lines are gonna stop working next week. I literally just got mine hooked up this morning.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 28, 2018, 10:28 HoSpanky

Good for HZD, itís fantastic. I keep meaning to play Frozen Wilds, but I recently (finally) decided to play thru the Witcher 3 expansions.  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Feb 26, 2018, 13:11 HoSpanky

Donít click the metal gear survive link if youíre on cellular. It starts up an unpausable 15-minute long gameplay video.  

News Comments > More Sea of Thieves Scale Testing
3. Re: More Sea of Thieves Scale Testing Feb 24, 2018, 09:35 HoSpanky

Rhett wrote on Feb 24, 2018, 06:49:
Yeah, it worked very well when I played (though respawning is a major issue right now) - however, they need to show off more content (albeit these are stress tests) because it REALLY feels shallow for $60 and not worth it at all.

This is my primary concern. It looks briefly fun, but I donít see what the long term appeal is.

News Comments > Trump Calls Out Video Games
93. Re: Trump Calls Out Video Games Feb 23, 2018, 15:40 HoSpanky

The part that the pro-gun group blatantly, willfully ignores is that guns make killing a person rather trivial. Itís easy! You can do it from a distance, so not only are you safe from retaliation, you can be disconnected from the act a little bit. Youíre just pulling a little trigger. Itís certainly not like having to be right next to someone to stab them. They might fight back!

Still reading? Mental illness is the root cause of the school shootings. But you canít easily stop mental illness. But you CAN take away easy access to the tools these people use to attack others. Itís still a Herculean task, but itís far more likely to succeed. We couldnít get rid of every gun, thatís not even kind of possible. But maybe itís possible to make it very difficult for CHILDREN TO GET THEIR HANDS ON THEM.

Again, pro-gun people hate the idea of ANY restrictions being put on their hobby/interest/obsession. They immediately act like ANY restriction means ďno guns for anyoneĒ. This is an idiotic argument, and used as a noise-making tactic. Itís being done to make any functional argument into an incomprehensible mess.

We need better treatment/diagnosis of mental health issues. Thatís gonna take a very, very long time. We can *quickly* make it very difficult for middle class white teens to get their hands on efficient murder tools. Both solutions lead to fewer dead kids.

News Comments > D.I.C.E. Award Winners
5. Re: D.I.C.E. Award Winners Feb 23, 2018, 12:37 HoSpanky

heroin wrote on Feb 23, 2018, 11:27:
Ditto... Divinity Original Sin II blew the doors off all of those games. Messed up - that the media and reviewers largely ignored it.

We tried Divinity, because holy crap everyone said itís great. Neither of us gave a shit about the story, the gameplay didnít feel interesting at all, and there was absolutely no assistance or explanation of how basic functions worked. We got as far as the shoreline after the slave ship part, and requested refunds. Maybe it gets neat later! But if they canít hook me with SOMETHING neat in the first 45 minutes, then they donít know what the intro area is FOR.

I havenít played BotW either, as it was a decision between it and Zero Dawn. The game with the more interesting premise won out. Iíll likely get it eventually, but I have no burning desire to do so. The only RPG Iíve played lately is The Witcher 3, as im finally playing the expansions. Hearts of Stone was fun, gonna start up Blood and Wine in the next couple days, Iíve read that itís spectacular.

News Comments > Warcraft III PTR Resumes
3. Re: Warcraft III PTR Resumes Feb 22, 2018, 11:52 HoSpanky

WC3 always had 12 player multi, so doubling that doesn't sound particularly problematic. It may mean "two person teams", unless they have added a few ENORMOUS maps.

I went back and fired up WC3 a year or so ago, and if has NOT aged well. The gameplay is still great, but damn that's an ugly baby.

News Comments > Burnout Paradise Remastered Announced
4. Re: Burnout Paradise Remastered Announced Feb 20, 2018, 22:33 HoSpanky

Visually, I see no upgrade. This is what the PC version looked like when it came out. The ONLY reason to get this on PC would be for the Big Surf Island DLC that PC users never got because EA is lame. Maybe they should have let Criterion work on a real sequel, instead of wasting their efforts on crappy NFS titles.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2018, 22:18 HoSpanky

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 19, 2018, 20:42:
RedEye9 wrote on Feb 19, 2018, 19:57:
Thanks, I had used Cinemascore in the past and lost track of that site.
Never heard of the site before -- half a dozen movies later, I don't think I'll be using the service...

Despicable Me got an "A". That movie was so un-funny my wife walked away from the tv about 15 minutes in.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
6. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 19, 2018, 14:46 HoSpanky

chickenboo wrote on Feb 19, 2018, 13:28:
debating whether or not the Jack In The box Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburger was truly the best cheeseburger.

It's not. JitB finally expanded to my city, and in under a year they closed up their restaurants. Turns out it's not particularly good. I went twice, neither time was impressive.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 15, 2018, 12:23 HoSpanky

Simon Says wrote on Feb 15, 2018, 11:37:
That crypto gaming article... When you get that "you should love me" vibe from your aggressor. Sorry, won't develop Stockholm syndrome.

Exactly. ďOh, sure, this crap has driven video card prices up to the point that literally no one has built a gaming PC in the last several months, but hereís why itís goodĒ. Itís not good. If video card prices came back down, gamers might THEN be willing to listen. Until then, blockchain madness is strangling PC gaming.

1770 Comments. 89 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo