Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1683 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Overwatch Free Weekend
7. Re: Overwatch Free Weekend Nov 19, 2016, 10:23 HoSpanky

I only play Overwatch when my friends want to play, I don't enjoy it solo. It's not that we're a terribly cohesive team, we probably sit around the 40% mark on wins. It can devour an evening pretty easily, and is polished to an incredible level.

The initial difficulty of the game is understanding that you're supposed to switch characters to counter your opponents' team, and you need to learn who those counters are and how to effectively use them. Your first few rounds WILL feel like flailing about with very low success.

And Luke hates everything, ESPECIALLY popular things, he's a Data Hipster. He never, ever has anything positive to say; his personal life clearly is very disappointing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie for Vive Released
9. Re: EVE: Valkyrie for Vive Released Nov 18, 2016, 14:29 HoSpanky

Bodolza wrote on Nov 18, 2016, 13:20:
HoSpanky wrote on Nov 18, 2016, 00:06:
It's neat, but it's not the picture-perfect thing you may believe it's gonna be.

You've got some high standards there. It's the entire Earth. Are you really expecting high-resolution 3D imagery to be available and instantly loaded?

I've spent several hours flying around, and I'm pretty impressed with what they've done. From a few hundred feet up, things look pretty great. Interestingly, non-cities fare better close up. It certainly gives you a relative sense of scale like nothing else.

Oh, I agree that the wilderness areas look pretty great.

I don't expect them to hand-model every single building, but iconic ones could stand some love. The streaming is expected, yes, but is jarring and sometimes takes longer to load an area than you even spend there. The Jesus in Rio literally looks like a model that would have looked bad in a PS1 title, and I stood there for a good minute, hoping a hand-built version would pop in.

I would LOVE to work for Google as a modeler for Google earth. And they clearly have people who do this, as some buildings have impossibly proper texturing (Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, has Colts banners on the sides), but still somewhat wonky modeling.

I do wonder if "shitty models" is why the framerate is solid, though. Will check those buildings out on the desktop tonight and see if they look better.

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie for Vive Released
7. Re: EVE: Valkyrie for Vive Released Nov 18, 2016, 00:06 HoSpanky

Kxmode wrote on Nov 17, 2016, 23:22:
TBH Google's FREE Earth VR is more a killer app for VIVE/VR than a $60 ho-hum space shooter. I was seriously thinking about upgrading my video card and buying the VIVE to check out Earth VR! I'm not quite there yet... but very close.

It's neat, but it's not the picture-perfect thing you may believe it's gonna be. It uses all the same model data from the PC/cellphone version, and up close, buildings do NOT look good. Big cities look pretty neat, but even landmarks aren't done very well. The Eiffel Tower, the Rio Jesus, Empire State...all look pretty wonky.

Being able to fly around is super neat, but the streaming loading means stuff doesn't look decent for at least 10 seconds after it's onscreen, and NYC took over 30 seconds to stop fiddling around with upping the details.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Vive wireless weak link Nov 15, 2016, 17:55 HoSpanky

The Vive already has a front facing camera that's activated by double-tapping a button on either controller, or on the headset itself. But I did mean getting lost in the game in a GOOD way, where you forget you're in a living room (or garage), and have no clue what direction you're facing in the real world.

I've disabled the front facing camera, as it oddly causes performance issues even when not being used. It's just as easy to pop the headset up a bit to see where you're at, or get to the computer if something went wonky.

News Comments > etc.
2. The martian Nov 15, 2016, 13:58 HoSpanky

Hoo boy, the Martian experience is getting bombed on Steam. Apparently it's about 15-20 minutes long, with zero replayability and no freedom to just fuck around. I'm not terribly surprised, except that they're asking $20 for a confusing interactive ad for the movie.

News Comments > SteamVR to Get Linux and Mac OS X Support
5. Re: SteamVR to Get Linux and Mac OS X Support Nov 15, 2016, 13:29 HoSpanky

Kxmode wrote on Nov 15, 2016, 13:02:
Frijoles wrote on Nov 15, 2016, 11:49:
Venture Capital money.

Interesting. How long is the honeymoon going to last before investors demand a return on their investment?

That's a fair question. Currently VR is either "too expensive" (Vive/Rift, and also bullshit), or not exactly top notch (PSVR). There IS no killer app, as devs are still tinkering with what basic mechanics work, and are fun. Motion controllers change EVERYTHING, and current locomotion options leave a lot to be desired.

It's a hard sell, for sure. The Vive NEVER fails to amaze, but the setup required is daunting, and there are still some weird showstoppers, like how The Lab refuses to let another program run after you close it. VR is enthusiast-ready, but this generation of gear is NOT ready for Joe Moron. And that's before looking at software, which has only a handful of "full size" titles so far.

But this is a tech that has incredible potential, and can swallow a user at a level you can't imagine until you try it. It's difficult to NOT be excited about it once you've experienced it, and once a reasonable function of locomotion is sorted out, it's going to open up an incredible range of games. and THAT is when investors will start looking for returns on investment.

1. Vive wireless weak link Nov 15, 2016, 13:15 HoSpanky

Well, my Vive setup lives in the garage. It's not the best solution, but it provides a LOT of space that's always kept clear anyway (once the cars are pulled out). I already currently have the wires routed across the ceiling to come down a little behind the central spot, so they hang behind the user most of the time. Mounting the wireless transmitter up there would be a prime setup.

That said, I'm not preordering one. I'll wait to see how people react to it. The cord is currently rarely an issue, and it's set to have a little more resistance when you're getting close to one of the edges. It's surprisingly useful in games like Vanishing Realms, which is still, impossibly, the only game of its kind. You forget where you are so easily in it.

So now all that needs to happen is a universal standard for omnimills, and VR can exist in a smaller space and feel massive.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 14, 2016, 10:42 HoSpanky

Gears 4 will be on sale but they aren't stating if the $25 off will apply to the digital (PC and Xbone) version.  

News Comments > Wireless Vive Accessory Shown in China
3. Re: Wireless Vive Accessory Shown in China Nov 11, 2016, 13:38 HoSpanky

I'm sure US sales will happen eventually, likely needs FCC clearance first.

Likely this will be built into the second Vive headsets, which hopefully will offer a big higher pixel density and maybe a wider FOV. Combined with the already-shown new lighthouses and controllers, it'd be a compelling package even for existing Vive owners. It'd also make piecemeal upgrades less likely, which is a GOOD thing: the original early adopters would be able to sell their original sets in their entirety, which would only increase the user base.

News Comments > Sunday Patches
1. Re: Sunday Patches Nov 6, 2016, 12:45 HoSpanky

This game can be bought for $4 during any steam sale, and it's ridiculous fun. Multiplayer is nicely different from the usual FPS. Glad to see it keeps getting support.  

News Comments > Forza Horizon 3 Demo
16. Re: Forza Horizon 3 Demo Nov 4, 2016, 16:47 HoSpanky

Creston wrote on Nov 4, 2016, 16:39:
MajorD wrote on Nov 4, 2016, 11:53:
Creston wrote on Nov 4, 2016, 10:58:
It's a lot of fun. It's not as charming as Horizon 2, but there are a lot of fun races to do, a lot of cool cars to get, and it's fun to drive around in it.

The whole "customize everything" was a little lacking, I felt, and the hire and fire your friends is just a lame bullshit gimmick which essentially boils down to you getting a few % bonus on XP and cash earned.

Thank you for feedback Creston; I'm down loading right now. I assume you're playing the PC version? How well does the X-platform work?

Actually, I just played the Xbone version. The PC version was rumored to have a bunch of glitches, and it's more relaxed to sit on the couch and play it on a big screen, and it runs fine on the Xbone. Haven't tried the PC version yet.

Cross platform play has been seamless for me. Hop into an online game, everything works as you'd expect. Can't tell if the other people are on a PC or not, unless they have their headset on as well. Seems that most people play without a headset. The ones WITH a headset have been Xbone players, so far.

News Comments > Forza Horizon 3 Demo
13. Re: Forza Horizon 3 Demo Nov 4, 2016, 15:27 HoSpanky

yuastnav wrote on Nov 4, 2016, 14:27:
ViRGE wrote on Nov 4, 2016, 12:32:
So as someone who has never played a Forza game before, which series is the fun, arcadey one? Forza or Horizon?

I haven't played Horizon but I've played Forza Motorsport 6. I guess it depends on what you want.
If the driving in Horizon is anything like The Crew or Test Drive Unlimited 2 then I don't think I could recommend it. But maybe you want a really arcade racer.
Motorsports on the other hand is a lot more sim-like. So if you want to have more real handling you'll go for Motosports.

I just wish there was a game that would marry both. Open world racing and great, realistic handling. All I want is to take a more or less regular car, tune it and drive it around the city and race other drivers through traffic.

Well, then turn off the assists in FH3 and you'll likely find what you're wanting. Even with them on, FH3 isn't remotely as arcadey as The Crew or TDU2 (both of those were made by the same people btw). The engine underneath is still Forza's Sim system, but tweaked to be more forgiving.

I'm gonna warn you guys up front here, force the game to 30 or 36 fps unless you want stuttering when you get into certain areas. The game engine seems designed to load data between frames, and it's not super excited about trying to load detail data in between 70-80 fps as you cannonball into Surfers Paradise in a supercar.

As for the person playing with a keyboard...good luck, there. Not sure what the avoidance of a controller is about, but for racing games, you're literally pulling the exact reverse of the whole KB/M vs controllers argument. You're trying to replace analog control with "all or nothing" digital, which takes every bit of control nuance away from you.

News Comments > Steam Site Licensing Expands
3. Re: Steam Site Licensing Expands Nov 3, 2016, 22:03 HoSpanky

All but one of the titles "included" are free anyway. Chamber 19, the only pay title, is a shittier-in-every-way Xortex, which is a free part of The Lab.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 1, 2016, 13:55 HoSpanky

The processing power really doesn't worry me on this thing; first party WiiU titles consistently has 1080p/60fps titles that look absolutely gorgeous. Nothing in Mario 3D world or Mario Kart says "we had to compromise here". I'm assuming the Switch will have as much muscle as the wiiU, if not more.

I got my WiiU for free through my job, and I only have a few titles for it, but they're spectacular. Rayman Legends is available on everything, but only the wiiU version has the 5th player option, and it's ridiculous fun. They play a very different game from everyone else, manipulating the game environment to help (or hilariously ruin) the other 4 players' progress.

As long as they still put out top notch games, I'll buy Nintendo's consoles.

News Comments > Shadow of the Tomb Raider Title Leak?
3. Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider Title Leak? Nov 1, 2016, 13:39 HoSpanky

might not be playing as Lara, with a title like that. I haven't gotten around to picking up Rise, just don't have the time for it. Still balls-deep in Legion and FH3.  

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 1, 2016, 10:58 HoSpanky

"Buy a Samsung SSD or curved monitor and get 2016's least-anticipated AAA game! That's right, our products went up in price overnight, but keep in mind that you get a $60 'value' in the form of a download code for Watchdogs 2: The Game Nobody asked For!"  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered Minimum Requirements
12. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered Minimum Requirements Oct 31, 2016, 07:53 HoSpanky

The low CPU requirement is due to the game engine underneath not really doing anything more than it did 9 years ago. They only bumped up the graphics, which I'm sure you can set back to original levels, hence the GeForce 450 being minimum.

This is not a knock on the game, I enjoyed it when it first came out.

News Comments > Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 29, 2016, 16:38 HoSpanky

Fion wrote on Oct 29, 2016, 14:19:
I haven't used deodorant in years.. let alone soap (save occasional hand soap - never the antibacterial stuff) or shampoo. Instead I've worked to restore my bodies natural microbiology. I find I don't sweat as often (accept working out of course), my hair is thick and doesn't tangle much (though it isn't as shiny), I have no BO, and my skin is very healthy. I do of course still shower, but I just use good hot water & a good old wash cloth.

I'm of the belief that these artificial, antibacterial, chemically based soaps, shampoos & deodorants have hurt our bodies ability to stay clean, not helped it. People hear that 100 years ago people bathed rather irregularly and think 'they must have stunk to hell and back'. I think it was probably rather the opposite.

I have a friend who's doing this. It's not working for him, he smells awful. I won't let him get in my car anymore. I doubt he's "doing it right", though, he's perpetually halfassing projects then wondering why they fail.

News Comments > Gears of War 4 Adding New Maps
3. Re: Gears of War 4 Adding New Maps Oct 29, 2016, 14:09 HoSpanky

Yeah, people report the same issues for Forza Horizon 3, and in *that* case, it was caused mostly by people running some "disable all tracking" software, which breaks how windows store games connect to their validation/telemetry servers.

I think the batch of Xbone/PC "play anywhere" titles that have been announced will likely also be the last. MS routinely abandons the PC as a gaming platform, usually due to their own software doing weird stuff. But their game forums are also packed with people who shoot themselves in the foot (disabling telemetry) then complaining that the game doesn't work. I think the games SHOULD be capable of telling people WHY they're not launching, as that would help immensely. Launching , then almost instantly dropping back to desktop is infuriating to troubleshoot.

News Comments > Turtle Rock Evolves Past Evolve
9. Re: Turtle Rock Evolves Past Evolve Oct 26, 2016, 10:28 HoSpanky

Angrius Maximis wrote on Oct 26, 2016, 10:08:
The Evolve world is more developed than Overwatch...but gamers just love their trash titles

"Trash titles", while trying to take a jab at one of the most polished games in existence. The backstory for Evolve is possibly amazing, but no one CARES because the game just isn't fun for more than a day.

1683 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo