Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1936 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > HTC Vive Wireless Adaptor This Month
6. Re: HTC Vive Wireless Adaptor This Month Sep 5, 2017, 14:37 HoSpanky

I'll just deal with the cord until the next gen headsets come out with wireless built in. Hopefully they'll have eye tracking and foveated rendering built in as well.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Witcher Turning 10
16. Re: The Witcher Turning 10 Sep 5, 2017, 08:36 HoSpanky

Holy crap, that video was made using the game engine. I forgot how gorgeous that game is. Never got to the expansions, the main game was so incredibly long that I felt exhausted with it by the end. But it's been several months, maybe it's time.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
14. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 1, 2017, 17:24 HoSpanky

I'm surprised Amazon found out about this before the eclipse. With their incredible variety of products, there's no way to test everything that they sell, especially when items are listed the same as others and then the product itself is a fake.

The people who listed the glasses should be the target, not Amazon. But Amazon has MONEY, whereas the crap glasses dealer is likely nowhere to be found.

News Comments > Sonic Mania DRM Issues
8. Re: Sonic Mania DRM Issues Aug 30, 2017, 15:21 HoSpanky

DRM is usually demanded by shareholders. I'm sure devs aren't super excited about adding in another possible avenue of issues with their game.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2017, 13:15 HoSpanky

Blue wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 13:07:
The Half Elf wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 12:52:
So where is the Rockband and VR setup?

There's a media stand visible on the left edge of that picture as well. It has the TV and Xbone for Rock Band. As for VR, the Rift is packed away until we move. I don't really feel like I'm missing anything living without it in the meantime.

Lone Echo will still be there when you unpack the Rift.

Surprised at using wired headphones, though. I got the Logitech g930 set a couple years ago, and being able to keep up with a conversation while getting a snack/drink is awesome. They work at about the distance of a room and a half, which is more than expected.
I looked at those Arozzi desks briefly, but I really need one that sits in a corner. The computer room is the smallest room in the house, with a weird diagonal door entry. Gotta squeeze two rigs, a mini fridge, a card table and a cat tree in one little room. Both desks are corner desks to accommodate all this, and I can't really get around that.

Nice clean setup! Is that because it's a new desk, or so you always manage to keep it that clutter-free?

News Comments > Overwatch Griefer Griefed
4. Re: Overwatch Griefer Griefed Aug 29, 2017, 12:48 HoSpanky

aka_STEVE wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 11:45:
Ha , that's a great response.

instead of banning him, they should have programmed his IP to just sit there spinning, saying it was trying to connect to a game. Griefer would just be sitting there for how long , thinking he's about to get in to play....

Agreed, they could also make queueing griefers only be put into a pool with others of their kind. I think GTA5 does that?

News Comments > MS's Virtual Reality Sets This Year
20. Re: MS's Virtual Reality Sets This Year Aug 29, 2017, 09:27 HoSpanky

DangerDog wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 05:30:
Watched some youtube videos reviewing the developer kits, seems the HP is nicer than the Acer with regards to comfort, lots of issues with the quality of the VR image.

This could kill off VR completely if the experience is poor, manufacturing defects aside it seems like they're aiming this device at first time VR users. It might be good enough to give a short thrill to minecraft players but will anyone stick with this device for the long haul or will people just return it wishing they could afford a "real" VR headset?

Multiple headset vendors with no hard set design specifications other than the display resolution and lenses? All of the headsets should be sold with the motion controllers from a developer point of view, now they're going to cause problems with regards to the type of games you make.

You'd think they'd have learned the "include he motion controllers!" lesson from Oculus, but apparently in their race to the bottom, these headsets are gonna be super barebones. Image quality has been considered quite good, according to the recent previews on various VR sites.

News Comments > MS's Virtual Reality Sets This Year
3. Re: MS's Virtual Reality Sets This Year Aug 28, 2017, 13:06 HoSpanky

jdreyer wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 12:30:
Another entrant in this market is a good thing. Hopefully it will drive innovation up and prices down.

Another 4 entrants, technically. Four companies have these headsets launching by the end of the year. Steam support wasn't really known until today, though. That's a huge deal.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Aug 25, 2017, 22:09 HoSpanky

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 25, 2017, 20:13:
Nex Machina for $12 (11.99) is entirely worth it, if you were at all a fan of Smash TV or Robotron style games. It's awesome at that price.

Agreed. It's a surprising kick in the ass at any level above easy, but it's oh so deliciously well made.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Beta Preloads Today
5. Re: etc. Aug 25, 2017, 11:39 HoSpanky

Frijoles wrote on Aug 25, 2017, 11:10:
Was this one locked to 30fps? I was reading articles about it, but they kept saying Destiny, so I'm not sure if they meant Destiny 2.

They've said that it won't have a locked framerate.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 23, 2017, 16:59 HoSpanky

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Aug 23, 2017, 10:56:
Smart but too greedy, he should have included someone else on the scam to cash in.. wouldn't have been caught.

Pretty much. Get a very good friend to be the "winner", and it would never have been an issue. You both walk away loaded. I'm not condoning his actions, just flabbergasted that he clearly would have succeeded if he'd just taken one rather obvious step.

News Comments > Bethesda Reveals VR Release Dates
14. Re: Bethesda Reveals VR Release Dates Aug 23, 2017, 15:28 HoSpanky

jdreyer wrote on Aug 23, 2017, 13:40:
theglaze wrote on Aug 23, 2017, 12:45:
Be careful what you ask for!

Some friends and I tried the latest Aliens: Isolation VR mod for the Rift... it gave all of us motion sickness to the point where none of us wanted to play it again!

Yes, the immersion was intense and the games atmosphere was engrossing, giving it a certain thrill and excitement.

However, the movement from the first person POV was a tough pill to swallow. Perhaps a third person POV would be easier to tolerate... but the speed of Doom makes it a barf fest Puke

Doom won't be run and gun. They'll use the magic teleport style of gameplay other fps games have done.

Sssssorta. Last I saw, it uses Dash mechanics, which means you can't port THRU enemies. I'm a fan of Dash, as it allows those with nausea issues to play without problems, yet doesn't have the disorienting "blink" of teleporting.

In a slower paced game, I still think Budget Cuts got the teleporting mechanic down the best. (NO, the full game isn't out yet. The devs claim it should be out late this year or early next year, but there's no confirmed date yet.)

News Comments > Bethesda Reveals VR Release Dates
8. Re: Bethesda Reveals VR Release Dates Aug 23, 2017, 13:16 HoSpanky

Gib007 wrote on Aug 23, 2017, 12:39:
"No PC version of Skyrim VR is planned"

Why the hell not!? I don't understand that.

I'm betting there's some Sony money in there.

Also, I KINDA hope they have hardware blocks for people using Rifts. So tired of Rift users defending the Oculus store's hardware exclusivity, maybe they'll understand the annoyance Vive users feel with the Bethesda releases.

News Comments > The Crew 2 in March
1. Re: The Crew 2 in March Aug 22, 2017, 11:46 HoSpanky

Maybe this time they'll have figured out how to stream data in so the game isn't constantly stuttering.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 21, 2017, 22:18 HoSpanky

Eye tracking and foveated rendering to the rescue! Both technologies are already working, you can add it to a Vive if you want. I'll wait until it's built into the next gen sets.  

News Comments > Age of Empires 4 and More Definitive Editions Announced
18. Re: Age of Empires 4 and More Definitive Editions Announced Aug 21, 2017, 22:04 HoSpanky

FloorPie wrote on Aug 21, 2017, 20:43:
How is DRM not a valid argument? The UWP stuff locks out game mods almost completely. Its a total walled garden.

But lets just ignore that and the even bigger issue of MS has fucked over its customers before with GFWL!

I 100% agree with the worry that Microsoft will abandon UWP on a whim like GFWL. *So far*, the games I've bought off the windows store are Xbox one crossplay compatible, so I SHOULD have a place to play them even if it goes to shit. The only sorta-assurance you've got is that MS plans on sticking to win10 forever.

I don't mind UWP's inability to be modded, but then I usually play thru a game and that's it...I don't go back, playing with various mods. There are SO many games on my backlog.

Anyway, the only UWP game I currently play is Forza Horizon 3, which is spectacular. Best simcade racing game made, period.

News Comments > Age of Empires 4 and More Definitive Editions Announced
9. Re: Age of Empires 4 and More Definitive Editions Announced Aug 21, 2017, 19:56 HoSpanky

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 21, 2017, 19:30:
Kajetan wrote on Aug 21, 2017, 19:03:
Probably only via Windows Store ...

Yep. At least at first and therefore zero fucks given for now.

It's also scary when they explicitly promote the most basic of features like being able to select idle villagers. Who are they trying to impress with that sort of crap? Console peasants?

I'll check this out when (or if) it releases on other platforms than the Win store and sells for less than $10. For now: Yawn. Next.

You DO realize the feature of being able to select idle villagers is being shown for the updated ORIGINAL game, yes? That's not AoE4.

The update to AoE is pretty substantial. I'm honestly surprised; that's at "whole new game" level of work. If Microsoft still owns all rights to the AOE titles, it's also not a surprise they're going to put it on their own store. What's the difference between the Windows Store, Origin, the Epic Launcher, and Uplay? Nothing, just none of them are Steam.

News Comments > Hurl VR Next Month
1. Re: Hurl VR Next Month Aug 20, 2017, 12:16 HoSpanky

Another visually half-ass VR game with apparently one single gameplay element. Hello, tech demo.

I do get it, developers spend an incredible amount of time just getting things to "feel" right, currently. There's not much money to be made yet, as the general population won't be buying gen1 or probably even gen2 VR kits. Until they're brain-dead easy to set up, and run on any old garbage computer (because that's what the general population expects), VR kits won't be mainstream. Then there's still the matter of looking silly while wearing one.

All that said, I enjoy goofing around on the Vive, but there's not much compelling software to keep me IN there. Rec Room and To The Top are pretty much the only things I play on it now.

News Comments > Spintires: MudRunner Announced
5. Re: Spintires: MudRunner Announced Aug 18, 2017, 14:55 HoSpanky

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Aug 18, 2017, 11:28:
So wait, this is published by Focus and developed by Sabre. So the original developer's not involved in this at all?

Man, there was a lot going on with that...he says he wasn't being paid properly, IIRC.

News Comments > AMD Radeon RX Vegas Launch
7. Re: AMD Radeon RX Vegas Launch Aug 14, 2017, 12:49 HoSpanky

Didn't expect much from them to begin with. I will say I'm surprised that it can take on a 1080 (albeit at much higher power consumption and noise level).

For VR especially, these things are a bad investment. Both major game engines being used for VR have VRWorks integrated now, which has already proven to be a big performance jump. AMD has nothing similar, and never tries very hard to work with developers.

These things need to drop at least $100 before they hit what their actual value level is.

1936 Comments. 97 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo