Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1684 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
12. Re: Saturday Mobilization Dec 11, 2016, 13:52 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Dec 10, 2016, 19:08:
HorrorScope wrote on Dec 10, 2016, 18:46:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 10, 2016, 12:21:
Michigan Transportation Director Kirk Steudle concedes that there will be crashes and probably a fatality involving autonomous cars.
But they get to test in snow so that makes it all better. Lawsuits in 3-2-1

It does make me wonder how all this is going to work with such unpredictable weather and outcomes. I get it we make plenty of mistakes, but when you rely on systems, it seems liability shuffles to mfg vs driver. The backlash is going to be legendary. Could be wrong.

Not at all. I will bet you any amount of money that legislation is passed in support of the automakers/software developers that fully indemnifies them. Much like you can't sue the phone company, just go to arbitration - that favors them anyway - at best. In short, getting into an autonomous vehicle will mean you automatically waive your right to sue. As for accidents between drivers and autonomous vehicles you can bet they'll pull out all the stops to make sure the driver loses that battle.

Well, do you think the autonomous car will be the one looking at its cellphone while barreling down the highway? Or "merging" last second onto a crowded offramp? Or getting frustrated at slow traffic and attempting to use the breakdown lane to get ahead?

I don't think Robot Cars will be perfect, and I'm worried about what an entire nation dependent upon them would do if the network they ran on was compromised. But robots are endlessly patient, and never use emotion to make a decision. They'll never get drunk or high and then try to drive home. They won't take their eyes off the road to yell at rowdy kids in the backseat. They cannot experience road rage. They are KEENLY aware of their own condition, and will likely be coded to force owners to take them in for repairs before a vital component fails.

They WILL fail due to incredibly shitty weather, like the aforementioned Fuck That Corner In Particular. Or from a poorly manufactured connector coming loose. Unless roads get tracking devices implanted in them, and even the , they WILL misread a crappy unpainted backroad and end up in a ditch.

They will require a network connection to plan merging and to prepare for unexpected road conditions, and I guarantee that network will be a strong focus for hackers, as it'd be one of the few cases where they could actually kill people if they can get in. The cars will need to be able to function autonomously from that network, even if it's in a more limited fashion, even if it just means pulling off to the side and stopping. And they absolutely should require a physical connection for software updates, to lower the possibility of outside fuckery.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm's New Game Director
2. Re: Heroes of the Storm's New Game Director Dec 9, 2016, 16:34 HoSpanky

Linchpind wrote on Dec 9, 2016, 16:11:
I never played League of Legends or Dota, so Heros of the Storm is my first step into MOBA gaming. I'm finding this game to be a lot of fun for a variety of reasons......different maps, memorable characters, and most matches are under 30 minutes in length.

I know WoW Legion is great and all, but I haven't fired it up in over a month because of Heros.

I get into it in bursts. Even though the "let's use characters from our other games!" thing could have (and kinda still does) seem cheap, they use them all in ways that fit who they are. It even works both ways...Murky wasn't ever a WoW character, but in legion, he shows up with the same move set from HOTS.

My ONLY complaint about the game, and it's super minor, is the juddery scrolling. It's a SC2 engine mod, and SC2 scrolls super smoothly. It's not for lack of hardware, I'm running pretty ridiculously over recommended spec. Framerate is usually around 120, and everything is butter smooth when NOT scrolling around. It wouldn't even enter my mind if the game wasn't so unbelievably polished in every other aspect.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 9, 2016, 16:26 HoSpanky

Kirk has it on the nose. Grabbing phones while unlocked is the only way they can retrieve data. "The usual" techniques are useless, as paper trails don't exist. So either we say "well, let's just let illegal industries continue what they're doing because we can't get into their records anymore", or the police need to get more creative.

Also, police sometimes HAVE to operate in sketchy ways; they're chasing sketchy people.

As for the AT&T thing, I'm glad they got nailed for it, although $88million doesn't really register against a company making a profit of $46BILLION yearly.

News Comments > Werewolves Within Breaks Out
3. Re: Werewolves Within Breaks Out Dec 8, 2016, 20:27 HoSpanky

I'm gonna check some reviews on this to see how well the system works, but this this seems like the worst social game to try to turn into a VR title.  

News Comments > Global Virtual Reality Association Formed
5. Re: Global Virtual Reality Association Formed Dec 8, 2016, 14:53 HoSpanky

Verno wrote on Dec 8, 2016, 13:40:
Fallout VR and Mechwarrior VR are coming. Nuff said.

Nah. Can't imagine either of them being the killer app. It'll likely be something that literally cannot be done without VR, instead of something that's just been modified to work with it. I'd put my money on Valve figuring out what that is first.

And the first thing this organization needs to do is lean on Oculus to add native Vive support. It can only benefit them, I don't see why they don't have it already. Their store exists to sell VR software, they clearly want to be THE VR destination. I'm actually OK with that, but then they say "well, we only want to be THE VR destination for maybe half of VR owners". This makes no sense whatsoever, but there it is.

Allllll these interviews with Luckey and not ONE has asked why they don't support the Vive in their store? Sounds like they were told asking that question would end the interview.

News Comments > Arizona Sunshine i7-Exclusive Content Released for All
9. Re: Arizona Sunshine i7-Exclusive Content Released for All Dec 8, 2016, 14:44 HoSpanky

Ok, so people were mad that an unadvertised feature wasn't available to them immediately, despite them having bought the game NOT KNOWING that feature even existed? The users are jackasses.

The game company built in a feature that "required" a specific chip, that didn't actually need that chip? The developers are jackasses.

The developers get caught pulling this bullshit: good. They unlock the ability for everyone to have access to it (even if it causes users performance issues, or whatever), and almost undoubtedly breaking a deal they made with Intel in the process? Good move, devs.

Personally, I'm AMAZED the game isn't another in a LONG list of Oculus exclusives, and will be voting with my money for a game company that DIDN'T take Facebook money to say "fuck you" to Vive owners.

News Comments > Arizona Sunshine Released
1. Re: Arizona Sunshine Released Dec 6, 2016, 20:20 HoSpanky

I fully expect this game in particular to have a TON of "why only in VR?" complainers in the forums. It actually LOOKS decent, is a large game (not just a single small environment). Has co-op! Prolly picking this up this week.  

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Dec 3, 2016, 13:25 HoSpanky

Dacote wrote on Dec 3, 2016, 13:08:
Psychopathy is a personality disorder characterized by a lack of empathy...

Cutter clearly believes that if you have money, you have no real problems. In a way, he's right, as there's no concern about food, shelter, clothing. But bad shit can happen to anyone, it's just that some people see that as "that's what you GET for being rich!".

Jay Leno one stated that no one cares about your personal problems if you're rich, unless they feel vindication from it. Now, I'm not a fan of Leno, as I have no doubt he has employees who can't afford a car, while he sits on multiple warehouses full of cars he'll drive maybe once. But he's right that it's hard to empathize with people far above your own pay grade.

Kojima was treated pretty poorly, which I still don't understand...wasn't he their ONLY claim to fame in video games anymore? They should have been treating him like John Romero treated himself at GoD.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 3, 2016, 13:07 HoSpanky

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 3, 2016, 12:50:
When will people learn not to hand someone an unlocked device with compromising pics.

Absolutely. If you hand your unlocked phone to someone, ASSUME they will see anything on there.

You should be able to tag said photos, put them in a specific Album and tag it as requiring re-authentication to access, just like store purchases. Will people DO that extra step? Undoubtedly not everyone, but I think with awareness it would be a good feature.

News Comments > Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition Announced
3. Re: Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition Announced Dec 2, 2016, 12:07 HoSpanky

ItBurn wrote on Dec 2, 2016, 10:49:
I know some people love that game, but I haaated it. Just wanted to give my opinion in order to save you some dollars. It's the most linear shooter I've ever played(other than on rail shooters...). The only control you have is what weapon you use and where you shoot. This is the opposite of what I enjoy. People who love this usually love it for the supposedly awesome shooting, but I found it mediocre, so there was nothing left for me.

On-rails shooters are the only way to effectively use big set pieces, which is what Bulletstorm went for. I don't fault it for that; open world games never, ever have spectacle like Bulletstorm. I fault it for half the "jokes" being just a stream of curses. Some were genuinely funny! Most were just crude and not remotely clever.

The actual gameplay was amusing, especially with the whip/grapple thing. I don't think an updated version of the game is worth full price, though. I'd pay...maybe $20 to get this, which will look as pretty as my lying memory thinks the original is.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 1, 2016, 19:34 HoSpanky

descender wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 19:31:
The purpose of that large of a data pipe is not for any individual device to be able to saturate it. It's so that you can have many devices all pulling at their maximum rates simultaneously.

Most consumer routers aren't even capable of 100MBit speeds, a different problem entirely.

I agree! I'm simply stating what some customers think it means versus what it's FOR.

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 1, 2016, 18:14 HoSpanky

10gbps is pointless. The vast majority of users run every device over wireless, which hits around 350mbps max. Even wired laptops can't hit gigabit most of the time, not even close.

The hidden downside to offering gigabit service is that about 10% of subscribers will complain if they don't see gigabit speeds in speed tests, no matter what turd of a device they're testing on. These shitbags REFUSE to understand that most devices aren't actually capable of gigabit speeds. We have a laptop with an ungimped fsb that can hit about 960, and when we take it out to customers' to show them that yes, they are getting gigabit, they accuse us of having a device that cheats to hit those numbers.

News Comments > Super Blackjack Battle II Turbo Edition Announced
1. Re: Super Blackjack Battle II Turbo Edition Announced Dec 1, 2016, 12:17 HoSpanky

So, it's a game about a schizophrenic rooster?  

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 29, 2016, 13:26 HoSpanky

The dtv streaming service won't kill traditional tv. Until the general public stops requiring their hands to be held when anything electronic is involved (which will be never), there will always be a massive amount of people wanting to just turn it on and watch.

And no, waiting a generation won't do a damn thing. You'd have thought that a generation into owning cars, people would have the tiniest clue about maintaining them, but people regularly destroy their engines because they don't even bother to check their oil level every month or so. So I don't see people suddenly becoming independent enough to sort out streaming services. I work for a cable company and I'm asked almost daily about how someone can get Netflix on their tv. Oh, I dunno, maybe try the BIG RED NETFLIX BUTTON ON YOUR REMOTE?

News Comments > Ubisoft Adding Cross-Platform VR Support
3. Re: Ubisoft Adding Cross-Platform VR Support Nov 29, 2016, 09:07 HoSpanky

siapnar wrote on Nov 28, 2016, 23:19:
Eagle flight looks cool so I looked it up on the store. 60 bucks

HA!

Yeah, not sure it's worth $60, but it'll go on sale soon enough. Most games made for VR have to recover development cost somehow, and there just aren't that many people with VR gear yet. A very small number of VR games translate to working on a regular monitor (seated game's that use a basic controller and no meaningful camera functionality), so those can attempt to get a wider audience. Thing is, games made for VR aim at that 90 fps sweet spot, so they won't look nearly as good as games that aim for ~60, and therefore have worse chances against similar, prettier games.

That's ignoring that games for VR are inherently different from games for monitors. Motion controls change everything, as does room scale play, and developers have no friggin clue what to do with them. It doesn't help that every remotely popular VR title has forum threads from people demanding that the game be allowed to work on a normal monitor, calling the devs lazy and focusing too much on a "gimmick". They don't seem to have any concept of the difference in the controls, despite having a billion videos and articles explaining it.

News Comments > Hello Games Breaks No Man's Sky Silence
7. Re: Hello Games Breaks No Man's Sky Silence Nov 26, 2016, 13:39 HoSpanky

I think what makes me saddest about NMS and Hello Games is that they made two GREAT games, then made this super disappointment. I didn't buy it, and probably won't at any point. I agree with Horrorscope, they're better off taking the bad press, and making a sequel. Maybe offer owners of the first a hefty discount for the first week or two.

Then again, Titanfall 2 is apparently everything the first game should have been, including a single player campaign that is one of the best FPS campaigns ever, and it's selling terribly. So it's no guarantee they'll ever recover.

News Comments > HTC Calls for VR Cooperation
10. Re: HTC Calls for VR Cooperation Nov 25, 2016, 08:31 HoSpanky

Bumpy wrote on Nov 25, 2016, 05:49:
Like 3D tv, VR will never become mass popular and it eventually die except for the hardened niche fans. VR is just too cumbersome and expensive.

I think Vive already knows this which is why they are trying to get all the VR manufactures to pull together for a better chance.

Jesus, people love to beat the "like 3Dtv" horse. And these are always, ALWAYS people who haven't tried VR. Currently, it's a bit of an effort to set up. There aren't a lot of "full" games for it yet. Those are coming. Easier setups are coming.

Instead of comparing VR to something that failed, look at it as a niche-ISH product, like motorcycles. They're ALSO expensive, fiddly, and are inferior to cars in almost every way. But they sell. A LOT. Because they're absurdly fun.

VR gaming cannot replace traditional video gaming, because the interface is so different. And I don't mean just the VR controllers, I mean the way the screen is controlled; the difference between looking out a window at a mountain and being ON it. But not one single video game you've played will stick in your mind like The Lab's Robot Repair, or any of the scenarios in TheBlu. You can look up videos of these online and SAY you've seen it, and it was nothing special. Again, window and mountain.

News Comments > HTC Calls for VR Cooperation
4. Re: HTC Calls for VR Cooperation Nov 24, 2016, 19:49 HoSpanky

Personally, I'm shocked that Oculus hasn't built official Vive support in yet. Their store is 100% VR stuff, and they could sell SO many more copies of their games if they'd just....sell them to people with different hardware. Currently, the VR landscape feels a lot like the original GPU landscape, where some games worked with Voodoo cards, others worked with PowerVR, and then Geforce came along and said "ours just works with what already exists, OpenGL and Directx".

I guess Palmer Luckey's too young to remember that. *mumbles something about history and repetition*

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
2. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 20, 2016, 16:38 HoSpanky

This game is INCREDIBLY boring on a normal screen. In VR, the sense of scale and isolation are amazing, and JUST enough to distract you from the rather slow, repetitive missions. You move pretty slowly (to alleviate motion sickness), but that translates to being painfully dull when not in VR. Aaaand lookee there, the Xbone is the only platform they originally announced for that doesn't have VR. I'm betting it was planned, then put on hold until scorpio launches, and so Adr1ft has no reason to exist on the xbone for the next year. It may show up when Scorpio comes out, or it may just...be forgotten.
Sadly, early VR titles are too focused on letting you fiddle with everything and calling THAT gameplay, with very minimal environments. Only one game went for broke on being an actual adventure, and it's made by one guy. No one's even announced anything similar to Vanishing Realms, and I have no idea why not, it's fucking fantastic.

News Comments > World of Warcraft 12th Anniversary Celebration
2. Re: World of Warcraft 12th Anniversary Celebration Nov 20, 2016, 16:22 HoSpanky

Wallshadows wrote on Nov 20, 2016, 16:03:
Here's a shitty dog and tokens.

To be fair, I hated the PILE of garbage they sent all my toons last year. I'd rather just get the dog and the 12% gain token. it does feel a bit low-key, but it's never been a huge event. The first time they sent out any goodies for an anniversary, which was the 4th year, they just sent everyone a bear pet.

This year's pet feels weak mostly because it's just a SLIGHT color change from the other mortal Corgi, "Corgnelius". And it doesn't hold a candle to the original, the Molten Corgi, but you can't get him anymore.

1684 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo