Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1830 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > It Came from E3 2017, Part 8
1. Re: It Came from E3 2017, Part 8 Jun 16, 2017, 10:29 HoSpanky

The Devolver Digital thing (paved Indie paradise) is clearly a case of the ESA leaning on city officials. Who would rent a parking lot for $100,000 for a couple days if they were only allowed to park cars on it? There's literally NO reason someone would do that.

The ESA claims their truck-blockade was "always a coincidence" too. I get that they want DD to pay them to be part of e3. But as soon as you're off the property the ESA rented, anyone else is allowed to set up their own event of any sort on other property.

So now what DD needs to do is demand no one else ever holds any events in that parking lot ever again, and see what the lot owner thinks of that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Conan Exiles Free Expansion in August
2. Re: Conan Exiles Free Expansion in August Jun 14, 2017, 11:47 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 11:02:
How is this coming along? I still see a lot of recent mixed reviews.

I'd be interested to hear what people think of it more recently as well. It could be fun, being the first Feral Nudist Colony Simulator available.

Also, against all odds, ARK has announced they'll be coming out of EA in a few months. No mention of making the game actually run well at anything over 1080p though.

News Comments > BAFL - Brakes Are For Losers Trailer
1. Re: BAFL - Brakes Are For Losers Trailer Jun 14, 2017, 11:42 HoSpanky

Disappointed that this also is retro graphically (and only local multiplayer). Blaze Rush is several years old now and it looks gorgeous and has online multi, what's the point of this?  

News Comments > Destiny 2 in October
6. Re: Destiny 2 in October Jun 13, 2017, 13:09 HoSpanky

Flatline wrote on Jun 13, 2017, 12:28:
Yeah. Money is the reason. You're more likely to get the game on a platform that your friends are on, and there's more money to be made, and a larger market, on consoles.

Sorry, Alamar's got the real answer here. Consoles are easier to code for, versus people and their Frankenstein computers. QC is just simpler for consoles.

Or would you rather it came out the same day as console and...just didn't work on AMD cards, or something like that?

News Comments > Destiny 2 in October
3. Re: Destiny 2 in October Jun 13, 2017, 12:27 HoSpanky

I'm surprised it's only a bit of a delay. I expected a 6 month wait. I have my WoW tokens converted and I'm just waiting it out now.  

News Comments > DOOM VFR Announced
23. Re: On Overwatch Mei Skins Jun 12, 2017, 20:37 HoSpanky

Squirmer wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 19:29:
What's the point of a Doom game if you don't have free movement? Fast movement is integral to Doom. This is faddish spectacle, nothing more.

VR is a completely different animal from using a monitor. Games that work on a monitor won't necessarily translate to VR, and there are VR games that absolutely can't work on a monitor. This is assuming that "VR Games" use the motion controllers.

Right now, no one's really found that "magic formula" for long-form VR games. Bethesda is filling in that gap with a pair of probably flawed, but interesting games based on big brands. DOOM is NOT going to be the same game, and FO4 will play so differently that it technically IS a different game, with completrly recycled assets.

When proper movement is sorted out, which will most likely require yet another gizmo, we'll be nicely on the way to VR becoming mainstream. In the meantime, developers will continue to figure out what "feels best". We're still in the early early stages of VR.

14. Re: DOOM VFR Announced Jun 12, 2017, 14:56 HoSpanky

MajorD wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 11:06:
Fallout VR.....not really liking the first person presence, especially with weapons (especially hand guns) floating in mid air....look too wonky to me. I'll stick to my 28" monitor thank you very much.

Floating guns look weird when you're not in VR. When they move with your hands, your brain immediately accepts it. Also, Raw Data does the "hands and arms" thing and it screws up enough that it's far more distracting than just having the guns floating.

Seriously, BEFORE saying something looks wrong or cheap in VR, how about you actually try it first? You need to give it a good hour's worth of goofing around in it, and THEN ask what few questions you have left. To those of us with VR gear, the CONSTANT asking of questions that are instantly answered by USING VR feels like having to describe every component of a casserole to a picky 5 year old. Just fucking try it, shut your mouth and TRY IT.

12. No subject Jun 12, 2017, 14:21 HoSpanky

Task wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 13:40:
That's exactly what I thought MonsterMan. Why didn't they just add VR to the original game with full keyboard mouse controller movement.

Clearly you've not played anything in VR yet. People constantly ask this question, because they don't understand that moving the mouse to change your view is sickening, immediately. It makes sense on a monitor, where you have a visual "grounding"; everything in your room that isn't the monitor. You can look away from a monitor-based game. You literally don't have that grounding in VR, and until you've tried it, you don't understand just how much you rely on it. Also, you look around your screen all the time, but aren't conscious of it. In VR, your head movements can't be tied to your weapon, it sucks. There are games (Gunjack) that rather clearly prove that it feels super wrong.

And once you're at THAT point, you realize you can't ever look down at the keyboard if needed. So you need a controller that you don't let go of. You wouldn't want to play using an Xbox controller, so now we're onto the motion controllers. DOOM moves way, WAY too fast to use traditional movement, so this teleporting/dash is the best you're gonna get for now.

News Comments > DiRT 4 Released
15. Re: DiRT 4 Released Jun 11, 2017, 08:50 HoSpanky

jdreyer wrote on Jun 11, 2017, 01:03:
HoSpanky wrote on Jun 10, 2017, 10:03:

You should maybe take a peek at Forza Horizon 3. There's a demo available. Xbone or PC. It's not EXACTLY what you're looking for, but it's pretty damn great. The Hot Wheels expansion for it is the pinnacle of ridiculousness, and well worth the cost.

Is that a Windows Store exclusive??

Yeah, it's a Microsoft title, and cross-play compatible with the Xbone, so it's gonna be windows store exclusive. Haven't had any major issues with it, and the performance problems it had on launch were finally fixed.

News Comments > VR Theme Park Rides
4. Re: VR Theme Park Rides Jun 10, 2017, 13:27 HoSpanky

It's a $4 title, guys, not $40. While I have no interest in it, as it's NOT what I built a VR rig for, there ARE people who want this sort of thing and if it works even half-competently, it's worth the absurdly low asking price.  

10. Re: DiRT 4 Released Jun 10, 2017, 10:03 HoSpanky

Numinar wrote on Jun 10, 2017, 07:29:
Anytime I see a game like this come up I just add Motorstorm 2 to my "Play Next" list.

It's a pain in the ass to cycle the PS3 back into the back of the TV but worth it every. fucking. time.

A PC/PS4 re-release wouldn't go amiss. I don't believe there will ever be anything else like it to replace it. Even it's own sequel didn't do it properly. Like Stunt Car racer I have given up on anyone ever being able to re-bottle that magic and I hate Driveclub all the more for putting a nail in the coffin of a company that should have been launching the best PS4 exclusive in universeses far more perfect than ours.

You should maybe take a peek at Forza Horizon 3. There's a demo available. Xbone or PC. It's not EXACTLY what you're looking for, but it's pretty damn great. The Hot Wheels expansion for it is the pinnacle of ridiculousness, and well worth the cost.

News Comments > Gears of War 4 Free Trial
1. Re: Gears of War 4 Free Trial Jun 9, 2017, 21:21 HoSpanky

Just be sure to free up 116gb of space first.  

1. Re: DiRT 4 Released Jun 9, 2017, 21:18 HoSpanky

Codemasters uses the word "fearless" a lot, but is scared to put VR functionality into this game, despite having it in Dirt Rally, which runs on the same goddamn engine that they've used since Dirt 2.  

News Comments > Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation Patch Adds New Campaign
1. Re: Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation Patch Adds New Campaign Jun 8, 2017, 22:51 HoSpanky

How long does a mission take in this game? The new campaign is 6 missions. At $40, they'd better be crazy long.  

News Comments > Writer Jay Pinkerton Leaves Valve
18. Re: Writer Jay Pinkerton Leaves Valve Jun 7, 2017, 16:10 HoSpanky

Frijoles wrote on Jun 7, 2017, 11:23:
On the other hand, they're supposedly making 3 new VR games. Perhaps those new VR games have no story (or it's already done). Valve was the top company I wanted to work for years ago. Not really true anymore, although I don't know who I'd pick these days. Retirement would be nice.

Judging from The Lab, Valve still knows how to make efficient, clever, and most importantly FUN experiences. They just no longer have the motivation, although VR clearly has them excited. Hopefully the loss of so many writers doesn't heavily affect those upcoming games, but I can't see how it wouldn't. The ONLY reason Portal was noteworthy was the omniscient, loveable asshole GlaDOS. Her constant badgering was the sole thing that elevated it from "thrown in short puzzle game" to Legendary. Her appearance in The Lab is short, but incredibly memorable. Valve's focus on VR is immediately understood when she pokes her head in, and you realize for the first time that she's the size of a cargo van. Sure, maybe you kinda got that impression in the Portal games, but even if you've watched someone run through Robot Repair in a video, you aren't prepared for how convincing VR can be.

If anyone is going to make the Killer App for VR, it's Valve. Hopefully they still have a clever writer or two left by then.

News Comments > Renzo Racer Early Access
1. Re: Renzo Racer Early Access Jun 2, 2017, 10:09 HoSpanky

This is the sort of game that I don't understand why it exists. There are already games just like it, that look/play better. Who's the market for a "Mario Kart / Sonic Racing clone, except with no recognizable characters and artwork from the GameCube era"?

I'm all for Indie developers, but only because they tend to make the weird games that big dev houses can't risk.

News Comments > Danger Zone Released
4. Re: Danger Zone Released May 30, 2017, 19:45 HoSpanky

The best part about that mode in the burnout games was multiplayer, where you were competing over a high score. This is single player, and scoreboards just aren't the same thing.  

News Comments > On Destiny 2 Networking
14. Re: On Destiny 2 Networking May 27, 2017, 22:57 HoSpanky

Suppa7 wrote on May 27, 2017, 15:18:
Creston wrote on May 27, 2017, 14:15:
What's the tradeoff for client-server, exactly? That it works great and everyone has a smooth match?

Oh wait, cost-benefit analysis. So you ARE trying to save money.

The whole thing is bullshit PR, anyone who knows how computers work know there is no reason not to give players control of servers. Quake and unreal had dedicated servers BUILT into the fucking game. But once game companies realized the average gamer is a fucking moron we got this shit of company controlled servers because the average gamer is grade A fucking tech illiterate.

Quake and Unreal had NO persistent data. Any game with persistent characters CAN'T let people run their own servers. The very first thing that would happen is there'd be "get all legendary gear in 3 seconds!" servers.

News Comments > Free Weekend for Two VR Games [Updated]
2. Re: Free Weekend for Two VR Games May 27, 2017, 15:46 HoSpanky

BlazeRush is more of a top down racer, like Micro Machines. I'm irritated that it's only got VR support for the Rift, because there's literally NO reason for that except "we were paid to keep it off the Vive".

News Comments > RiME Time
1. Re: RiME Time May 26, 2017, 13:37 HoSpanky

This weekend seems to be a huge Indie release time. This, Everspace, and at least one high profile (for VR) VR-only title launch today. Everspace jumped the gun yesterday, after announcing the 26th as their release date, but clearly the goal is to get these games out when a large portion of the US population has 3 days off.  

1830 Comments. 92 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo