Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On December 23, 2002
Supporter -
Total Comments 2271 (Senior)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Fortnite Creative Announced

6. Re: Fortnite Creative Announced Dec 5, 2018, 15:35 HoSpanky

jdreyer wrote on Dec 5, 2018, 14:59:
HoSpanky wrote on Dec 5, 2018, 13:50:
MrBone wrote on Dec 5, 2018, 12:31:
The less I hear/see about Fortnite, the better. I can't fathom its appeal. Looks like they have a gold-mine for the time being, though.

At this point, people hate on it BECAUSE it’s popular. But I don’t understand why the Battle Royale mode is so popular. It’s incredibly basic.

I really enjoyed the Save The World mode, but it’s neglected by the devs in favor of the more popular mode. They’re adding more story content, which is delivered entirely through voiceovers during missions. THAT is the stuff I play for, their writers and voice actors are top notch. The end of the world is being mitigated by a woefully unprepared and easily excitable robot with only a prefunctory understanding of humans. Like Portal, the voicework is perfect, and elevates the game more than you’d expect. When STW goes free to play, I suggest checking it out.
Yeah I liked the idea of of the "build a base and defend it against zombies" concept of the original. I was waiting to see if they allowed you to play that mode single player.

Also, They Are Billions is at the top of my wish list.

You absolutely can play it single player, just set your game mode to private and every round will be just you. This does make it incredibly harder to complete a mission, as some mission modes kind of expect you to have helpers. There’s a few specific missions that are impossible in solo. Most of the time, randos are fine.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Starbreeze Insider Trading Raid and Arrest

5. Re: Starbreeze Insider Trading Raid and Arrest Dec 5, 2018, 13:53 HoSpanky

Desalus wrote on Dec 5, 2018, 13:14:
NKD wrote on Dec 5, 2018, 11:20:
Alternatively they could do the US approach of not investigating and not arresting, and then possibly giving them a bail out.

Yeah, thats usually how it works here but apparently not in Sweden. Perhaps they thought they were safe to sell off all of their stocks after it was apparent the game was tanking. Still, if the company is about to go bankrupt, selling all your shares off shortly before that's announced is a very bad idea.

Yeah I dunno if that counts as insider trading. Everyone knew the game was doing poorly. It’s whether or not the people selling their shares knew the company was going into bankruptcy.

News Comments > Fortnite Creative Announced

2. Re: Fortnite Creative Announced Dec 5, 2018, 13:50 HoSpanky

MrBone wrote on Dec 5, 2018, 12:31:
The less I hear/see about Fortnite, the better. I can't fathom its appeal. Looks like they have a gold-mine for the time being, though.

At this point, people hate on it BECAUSE it’s popular. But I don’t understand why the Battle Royale mode is so popular. It’s incredibly basic.

I really enjoyed the Save The World mode, but it’s neglected by the devs in favor of the more popular mode. They’re adding more story content, which is delivered entirely through voiceovers during missions. THAT is the stuff I play for, their writers and voice actors are top notch. The end of the world is being mitigated by a woefully unprepared and easily excitable robot with only a prefunctory understanding of humans. Like Portal, the voicework is perfect, and elevates the game more than you’d expect. When STW goes free to play, I suggest checking it out.

News Comments > FTC Will Look Into Loot Boxes

18. Re: FTC Will Look Into Loot Boxes Nov 28, 2018, 14:10 HoSpanky

DarkCntry, that’s not really the same argument. YES, in digital purchases of ANY sort, a kid’s parent is ultimately at fault for giving their child access to the funds, but this isn’t about the actual money spent. The concern is the behavior it encourages, because the high a gambler feels from winning erases all the anguish of prior losses. Letting kids think this is a normal behavior will lead to their ruin later in life.

Unlike direct digital purchases, where you know what you’re getting, loot boxes have varying “quality” of items in them. In reality, none of them are worth anything, but that’s not the point. It’s the perception of “winning” that sticks in the mind, which can lead to that kid growing up and having a higher chance of gambling their house away. THAT is the concern being raised.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 26, 2018, 20:18 HoSpanky

RedEye, it's at the end for good reason. It's the only place it'd make any sense at all. It absolutely has nothing to do with the rest of the movie, and it's clearly a sendoff piece.  

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 26, 2018, 13:16 HoSpanky

The wife and I saw Ralph breaks the Internet this weekend. Not quite as good as the original, and the main “problem” shows up late and feels too quickly introduced and resolved. Quite funny, though, and well aware of itself at all times. It feels like they may have gone overboard on the in-jokes, though. They smartly avoided putting in many references that would date the movie and make it lame in 10 years (every studio learned the Shrek lesson).

Also, stay through the credits. Hopefully you see it before some internet dickwad ruins it, funniest part of the movie right there.

News Comments > Prodeus Announced

1. Re: Prodeus Announced Nov 26, 2018, 13:07 HoSpanky

Wow, I actually dig the art style of this! It doesn’t look cheap, it looks like a conscious decision. Where most “retro” styled games are done due to budget, this one looks like it’s just that way to differentiate it from the crowd.

And it works.

News Comments > Rebellion Starting Film & TV Studio

8. Re: Rebellion Starting Film & TV Studio Nov 26, 2018, 09:08 HoSpanky

Did we see different movies? The newer Dredd was a bland, basic movie. I finished watching it, but I wasn’t gripped by the story at any point whatsoever.  

News Comments > etc.

5. Re: etc. Nov 24, 2018, 12:19 HoSpanky

Muscular Beaver wrote on Nov 24, 2018, 07:46:
Epic and ripping off?
What has Blizzard been doing for the last few decades then?
We all know people just want to sue Epic because of the massive money they make.

The difference, I believe, is that blizzard doesn’t charge extra for the ability to do a specific dance. Yes, every dance in WoW is pulled from somewhere else, but they’re included in the game. When people pay for JUST the ability to have your character do or say something popularized by someone else, it makes it hard to say it’s an homage. It’s a money-generating thing whose design is stolen wholesale from someone else.

Nobody pays for WoW specifically to watch their character do dance moves.
Millions of people pay $10 for their Fortnite character to do a certain dance.

That’s the crux of the argument, and I’m leaning in favor of the people who popularized those moves to begin with. As the article states, creatives are frequently stolen from, with compensation always being “exposure”. Exposure doesn’t pay the bills.

A HUGE part of Epic’s income is derived from sales of these dance moves. Their originators, if it can be determined, should get a small chunk of the profits. Not their managers or publishers, since they clearly didn’t broker a deal, but JUST that person.

News Comments > Black Friday Metaverse

3. Re: Black Friday Metaverse Nov 24, 2018, 11:30 HoSpanky

The complaints against amazon by employees are from people who have absolutely no idea what they’re actually worth. If you can be trained to do your job in 2 hours (which is what they do), YOU AREN’T WORTH MUCH. It’s impressive that Amazon pays as much as they do for brain dead labor.

I worked there for 10 months while looking for another job. I care in during the Christmas rush and they kept me, along with about 3% of the Rush group that year, because:
I didn’t call in sick every week. People did this shit every DAY and somehow thought their job would still be there.
I didn’t spend my time trying to game their system, trying to hit numbers by cheating so they’d have spare time to hit on the girls who were doing their jobs correctly. This was SUPER common, and is the reason for the “unrealistic expectations”.

I didn’t work particularly hard. Again, brain dead work. I just did my job at a reasonable pace. Yes, it was annoying to not be allowed to have my phone inside the building, but you could go make calls during a break/lunch if you needed to. You just had to decide if you wanted to sit down for that time or if that call was actually more important.
Basically, the people who worked there generally expected the money for doing as little work as possible, and were angry when their work avoidance schemes would be noticed and rectified with new, harsher rules.

Work somewhere else if you don’t like it. Oh, your education level doesn’t allow for that? Put in some time to afford some schooling, even if it’s just trade skills, to make yourself more useful. But noooo, gotta buy some insanely expensive shoes instead.

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 21, 2018, 14:30 HoSpanky

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Nov 21, 2018, 12:46:
Cutter wrote on Nov 21, 2018, 12:24:
Yeah because 90% of Canadians live within 100 miles of the US Border. If you want to live out in the boonies what do you even need broadband for? People choose to live out there. The cost to hook them up would be prohibitive.

Did you eat today? Because you should thank a farmer who lives in those boonies.

I live in alberta, I've driven all over B.C, Alberta,Sask. The people who live in these boonies are farmer and cattle farmers. They need internet too man.

Yes and no. At this point, living in a remote area is an assumed “you have crap internet”. I live in a suburb, where I don’t have lots of space and no annoying neighbors. Trade-offs are everywhere. The cost to run fiber (no reason to even string up copper anymore) is absurd, and most of the time the cost isn’t one-time. Each pole that’s owned by the power company has to be rented, and trees come down in remote areas all the time, severing lines. Fiber isn’t as easily spliceable as copper, meaning every cut costs more in man hours and materials.

Remote internet access will end up being beamed. Sure, it’s slower, but it’s the only thing that isn’t perpetually costing more than it brings in.

News Comments > Play Overwatch for Free

3. Re: Play Overwatch for Free Nov 21, 2018, 12:09 HoSpanky

theglaze wrote on Nov 21, 2018, 11:55:
Can’t believe I picked this title up 50% off, and it’s become my go-to FPS without having to inject monies for DLC or paywall nonsense.

The meta is constantly changing, new heroes/maps, plus loads of polish.

[Edit] It also seems to have a lower percentage of jerks.

Yep. Pretty fun game, although I rarely play it anymore. I forget I have it, and then someone will bring it up and we’ll have a great time goofing around in it for an evening.

News Comments > Battlefield V Launches

28. Re: Battlefield V Launches Nov 20, 2018, 14:51 HoSpanky

The hit you take from raytracing is brutal, there are plenty of tricks to get “more than good enough” reflections in games. Forza Horizon 3 and 4 can put reflections on every single car, ones that look very convincing. Maybe they’re not perfect, but at 120+ mph, who can tell anyway? Even at the starting line, rotating the camera around your car shows you the reflection of everything around it. The new Hitman game also apparently does spectacular reflections without raytracing.

RTX is gonna need to do more than just some reflections to sell me on the value of the tech. Good art teams and programmers have already pretty much solved the issue years ago. I guess if you want it to be SUPER accurate, Ray tracing will give you THAT, but is it truly something noticeable? I’d really like to see Forza Horizon or Hitman with a raytracing option for their reflections and see what the real difference is.

News Comments > etc., etc.

11. Re: etc., etc. Nov 20, 2018, 10:00 HoSpanky

I’m not a fallout fan, but my wife is. As soon as they said the new Fallout would be multiplayer, she lost all interest. Somehow, while MOST games are automatically BETTER when you add in multiplayer, Bethesda managed to make theirs worse.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $200M

4. Re: Star Citizen Passes $200M Nov 17, 2018, 12:59 HoSpanky

I worry that they’ve put a lot of work into things people will only want to do once. How many times do you want to walk through a large space station to get to your ship, or sit through a long animation for getting in or out of your ship? Maybe all that is part of the tutorial, and actual gameplay will trim the extraneous stuff down a bit.

For the sake of those who poured money into it, I hope the games are good. For Chris’ ego, I hope it’s terrible.

News Comments > PC Sunset Overdrive Dawns

2. Re: PC Sunset Overdrive Dawns Nov 16, 2018, 21:53 HoSpanky

Creston wrote on Nov 16, 2018, 21:26:
Microsoft has recommitted to PC gaming again, by apparently having mouse controls that are completely fucking broken.

They make it so easy to utterly loathe the fucking shit out of them.

Yeah, seems like a rather silly thing to miss. Since they took out multiplayer (which was co-op only), there’s no reason for it. I’d bet they fix it pretty quickly.

News Comments > Cliff Bleszinski: "I am NEVER making another game"

50. Re: Cliff Bleszinski: Nov 16, 2018, 18:44 HoSpanky

jdreyer wrote on Nov 16, 2018, 15:03:
Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 16, 2018, 14:53:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 16, 2018, 14:44:
Creston wrote on Nov 16, 2018, 10:41:
I will give him kudos for supporting his devs, apparently out of his own pocket. That's quality.

As for the never making another game, nobody's gonna miss you, cliffy. Bye!

Well, I'd love to see another UT. So there's that.

Downlaod the Epic launcher. Most recent UT is there.

Oh yeah. I totally forgot about that. Didn't they "release" that in EA with one map and no textures last year? How's it coming along?

It now has several finished maps. It’s pretty decent, although lacking much of a community. There’s nothing that screams “oh damn that’s awesome” in it, so it’s not even Paragon-level “oh shit that’s pretty” tech demo.

News Comments > Cliff Bleszinski: "I am NEVER making another game"

27. Re: Cliff Bleszinski: Nov 16, 2018, 13:12 HoSpanky

This guy has always felt like Peter Molyneux. He means well, but can’t keep from overpromising. It sounds like he lost a good chunk of money to keeping his devs in food and housing, good on him.

Those hating him for “abandoning” the pc to make console games are being selfish and blatantly stupid. That IS where the money’s at, and you’re mad someone wanted to make money?

News Comments > THQ Nordic Acquires Bugbear & Coffee Stain

2. Re: THQ Nordic Acquires Bugbear & Coffee Stain Nov 14, 2018, 12:50 HoSpanky

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 14, 2018, 11:41:
Coffee Stain is also developing Satisfactory right now.... which I think is a pretty major part of this buy

I have no doubt. It’s exactly what you’d hope for, if you were hoping for “Factorio, but in glorious 3D and a bit more focus on exploration”. Currently they only plan on having the one map, so...replay value would be up to the player to build crazier factories.

I do wonder if the purchase will change the scope of the game, or if THQ will block them from doing an Early Access release.

News Comments > Is Technomasculinity a Thing?

26. Re: Is Technomasculinity a Thing? Nov 13, 2018, 17:06 HoSpanky

Prez wrote on Nov 13, 2018, 14:54:
Beamer wrote on Nov 13, 2018, 14:52:
Prez wrote on Nov 13, 2018, 14:49:
Beamer wrote on Nov 13, 2018, 14:33:
Prez wrote on Nov 13, 2018, 14:22:
So the involuntary celibate males who played Ultima and Elite growing up and became game devs themselves have created their own brand of geekified masculinity that continues to propagate in game development to this day. Okay... interesting, umm, theory. I guess.

But do they drink Bawls?

Is that what the nerdy geniuses drink nowadays?

No, this was like, 1998-2004 I think? The ads were in all the PC magazines. Always featured a half naked bikini model desperately looking for a PC gamer man enough to drink Bawlz.

Holy shit I remember those ads in PC Gamer and CGM! I should have drank Bawls back then - I too could have been a sexual dynamo.

Man that stuff was/is horrible. It’s still being made! ...or, sold, at least. Maybe those bumpy blue bottles have been sitting in the checkout lane at Fry’s for years. It’s terrible, but it DOES wake you up. So does Red Bull, and it tastes even worse.

2271 Comments. 114 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >