Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1768 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse May 19, 2017, 15:52 HoSpanky

ItBurn wrote on May 19, 2017, 13:19:
That UK article is the scariest thing. They're actually openly saying that they want to control what people say, think and look at... I guess it's true what they say about evil people not realizing they're evil.

So, who actually would vote for such a thing? "Hey I want the internet to become just another platform for me to tell you what *I* want you to hear, and absolutely nothing else."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Destiny 2 PC Will Trail Consoles; Has No Dedicated Servers
22. Re: Destiny 2 PC Will Trail Consoles; Has No Dedicated Servers May 19, 2017, 15:14 HoSpanky

Bundy wrote on May 19, 2017, 14:52:
CJ_Parker wrote on May 19, 2017, 10:37:
Definitely no (single player) demo and/or no free (multiplayer) trial = no buy

You must not buy many games. Both these are becoming a rarity. Especially single player demos.

Oh please, CJ doesn't play games, he just comes on Blue's to bitch about every game that exists. Nothing is good enough for his royal highness.

On one hand, the two Halo games we got were...not suited for PC to begin with, and Halo 2 required an OS no one wanted.

On the other hand, Blizzard is putting their name on this, and that's no small consideration. They'd rather kill a game weeks before launch than put out something short of stellar.

So I'm willing to bet that's why they're claiming it'll be good to go from day 1....Blizzard is probably demanding it. I wouldn't be surprised if the multiplayer is PC only, because while the co-op wouldn't matter, the versus mode would be packed with console players claiming pc users are cheating.

News Comments > New Life is Strange Game Announced
1. Re: New Life is Strange Game Announced May 18, 2017, 23:50 HoSpanky

I bought this during a sale, then promptly forgot all about it. I oughta fire it up, apparently it's quite good.  

News Comments > Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer
2. Re: Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer May 18, 2017, 16:43 HoSpanky

While I wasn't super impressed with the first Destiny, that was mostly due to the story having been gutted entirely and your primary source of information being bored with his role. It kept me from being interested.

The gameplay itself was rock solid and fun, just terribly repetitive and with no functional reason as to WHY things happened. Hoping this one is better.

Your NMS reference, Cutter, is wildly misplaced. Grindey gameplay? Well yes, it's essentially an MMO. Par for the course. The difference is that it takes actual gameplay skill into account as much as your gear.

News Comments > F1 2017 in August
4. Re: F1 2017 in August May 17, 2017, 17:08 HoSpanky

theglaze wrote on May 17, 2017, 10:42:
Also... without VR, I don't think I care as much now compared to previous years.

I wonder if Dirt 4 will also launch without VR?

There's been no mention of VR support for Dirt 4, and they never got around to putting Vive support in Dirt Rally, so whatever, Codies. Guess I'll have to keep waiting on Project Cars 2.

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed May 17, 2017, 10:26 HoSpanky

The only part of the article that paints Valve in a light any worse than ANY other distributor is the royalties on user-created content. Seems stupid that Valve takes a HUGE portion of earnings on something someone else made. Why is it any more than the 30% they take on games?

The one-game-at-a-time thing is to keep people from all chipping in on ONE account and then they all play different things from it. I currently have family sharing going with the only friend who also bought a VR headset. Since most VR "games" are short and single player, the sharing lets each game get twice the use out of it, making the cost of each more tolerable. Yeah, we can't play the same game (unless we both bought it: Valkyrie), but at least we CAN share them. It's not like Steam had ANY obligation to do so.

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials Reveal Far Cry 5 and The Crew 2
1. Re: Ubisoft Financials Reveal Far Cry 5 and The Crew 2 May 16, 2017, 20:26 HoSpanky

Maybe The Crew 2 will actually run decently. They certainly never bothered to make sure the original did.  

News Comments > MS Planning Mixed Reality, Cross-Platform MMOG
14. Re: MS Planning Mixed Reality, Cross-Platform MMOG May 16, 2017, 18:18 HoSpanky

Dr donkles wrote on May 16, 2017, 14:59:
Cool, might be an interesting project.

Though, not if they force players into groups. I've never liked the whole team up aspect of mmos to accomplish anything.

Soooo you like single player games, not MMOs. Got it.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale May 15, 2017, 22:29 HoSpanky

Red Alert 3's campaign (entirely co-op!) is friggin hilarious, ridiculous fun.  

News Comments > DiRT 4 Trailer
1. Re: DiRT 4 Trailer May 12, 2017, 23:23 HoSpanky

I always thought rivers were just ...rivers. What makes them professional? Is the Mississippi considered professional? Also, I'm not sure what they have to fear, or even if they have the capacity to fear.

Also, this is for a game called DIRT, not WATER. So weird.

News Comments > GeForce Prey Hotfix Drivers
2. Re: GeForce Prey Hotfix Drivers May 11, 2017, 12:41 HoSpanky

Timmeh wrote on May 11, 2017, 11:58:
What? Nvidia needs a hotfix???

But but.. its only ATI drivers that the sux....

The "certain configurations" means "G-sync monitors", so Nvidia has a bit of a priority to NOT make that investment look bad. I have one, and had this issue, and the fix was to roll back the driver one version.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
20. Re: Morning Consolidation May 10, 2017, 20:29 HoSpanky

I bought a PS4 PRO, but only because I didn't have a PS4 yet and why not get the faster of the two. If they do a...PS4 PROPRO, I'll probably skip it. If they bump up consoles every 4 years, but keep them actually compatible for a cycle or two, it'd be like the PC market except with a lot less hassle. I love the idea that a game I buy today will work on a PS4 PROPROPROPROPRO, and maybe even run better.

And by "a game", I mean "Horizon Zero Dawn". I mean, shit, it's almost worth buying the console for, alone. If I can play it again in a few years at 60 fps, then hot damn.

I already have an Xbone, and the games I want for it are now showing up on Windows, so I don't think the Xbone is aimed at me.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation May 9, 2017, 19:20 HoSpanky

The Hot Wheels expansion is...well, it's impossibly gorgeous. Like in real life, the track pieces aren't completely opaque. The sun glowing through them as they twist around skyscrapers and rock formations will put you in awe of the developer's skills. Ridiculous, of course, but that's the point.

The bigger deal is the patch they snuck out with it with pretty much no notice, that fixes the super-low-framerate issue the game had since launch in two zones of the game. The game would max out one core of your processor in these areas. No mention of what they did, specifically, but holy crap the game runs butter smooth now.

Yes yes, you Win10/Windows Store/UWP hating jackholes can go ahead and post about how you'll never buy it, because whaaaa it's not packaged exactly how you want. Your loss. FH3 is fucking incredible.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 7, 2017, 13:59 HoSpanky

Screen resolution won't kill a mouse, but if you have a high resolution screen (1440, 4K), 1600 will feel sluggish. That's only desktop usage, in games it'll behave the same.

Edit: so, I am a stupid. Totally forgot about where the extra DPS are actually noticeable:

So, in games, there's almost always a mouse sensitivity setting. Bumping this up will move your mouse or view faster, at the cost of precision...it will make larger jumps, making it actually impossible to move the cursor pixel-by-pixel.

Now, if you bump the mouse DPI very high, and then bring your in-game mouse sensitivity setting DOWN, you now actually gain precision, while still only moving the mouse the same amount as before. It will feel a LOT smoother, especially if you've got a monitor/card capable of embarrassingly high framerates. It's super noticeable in fPS games at 4K, where moving a low dpi mouse the smallest distance jumps the reticule 10+ pixels. Where this whole thing falls apart are fake high-DPI mice, where they double or quadruple the input. It's a common cheat in cheap mice. It's why Razer mice can be adjusted down to a one-dpi difference, and some mice only have a few presets...those tend to be cheating at the top end to hit their DPI rating.

This is not saying Razer mice are the only good ones. And shit, I've gone thru several, always failed with the dreaded double-clicking button. But WHEN they work, they're hella responsive.

I don't play even sort of competitively, so I haven't wanted to fiddle with every game's internal mouse speed, so I sit at 1800. I might fiddle with it again and see if it helps the somewhat jumpy movement in WoW though.

This comment was edited on May 7, 2017, 14:16.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 7, 2017, 10:28 HoSpanky

Slick wrote on May 7, 2017, 01:55:
why not 16 million DPI? no one uses more than 1600... 2400 max.

Oh I'm sure someone out there disagrees with you. Not me! I roll right around the 1800 mark. But I'm sure someone just can't get enuffa dos deeps.

Glad to see a positive outlook on PC sales for once. Aside from my friends' kids, I wasn't sure too many pre/teens were interested in PC gaming. Thankfully, not true. There's a local church that has a LAN every last Friday of the month (with no religious slant to it), and the kids who go initially showed up with horrible machines. But then one of them mowed lawns all summer to pay for an i5/1060, and the others noticed that hey, it CAN be done. So the DIY-PC crowd doesn't appear to be ending.

As for Amazon, perhaps it's because the working conditions aren't actually terrible - they just expect you to actually work. The pay is top notch for warehouse work. And their "weak profits" are due to Bezos putting the money back into the company, not his shareholders' pockets. I watched them rebuild a huge section of a warehouse, because a couple bits were deemed inefficient. And yes, I worked in an Amazon warehouse for about 10 months. Was rough work, but nothing slave-labor levels.

News Comments > Where Does a 12M Member Crew Hang Out?
2. Re: Where Does a 12M Member Crew Hang Out? May 5, 2017, 16:49 HoSpanky

I really wanted to like The Crew. It was maybe going to be like Forza Horizon, but on the pc!

Well, it's not. It runs like shit no matter what hardware you have, stuttering constantly. This is on a monster machine that can run the game I WANTED The Crew to be just fine, and FH3 is a power-hungry beast. The Crew doesn't even have any visual justification for running badly, it's just got a shit streaming engine. It's bad enough when driving to a city, but if you for some reason decide to turn around and go BACK the way you came, it'll lock the screen up for 2 or 3 seconds to load that data in. It's like they just didn't allow for the possibility of users having a shitload of memory to use.

News Comments > Arkane: Steam Refunds = PC Prey Demo
35. Re: Arkane: Steam Refunds = PC Prey Demo May 3, 2017, 17:26 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on May 3, 2017, 15:16:
So instead of downloading a 3GB demo people are supposed to DL 50 gigs instead? Um no.

The console demo is the full game with a one hour timer, it's a massive download. There's no 3gb demo for Prey. There's no PC demo because it'd be them handing the game out for free, as people would quickly find out how to stop that timer.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 24, 2017, 14:44 HoSpanky

jdreyer wrote on Apr 24, 2017, 14:17:
We all have our wall of shame: those great movies that we haven't gotten around to seeing yet. Top 2 on mine are Fight Club, and The Prestige. Well, only Fight Club remains because I watched The Prestige this weekend. Amazing story, amazing cast, great world building, just such a fantastic film. Easily Nolan's best film, and I say that as a huge fan of all his other work (excepting perhaps DKR)

Holy Jeebus you picked Prestige over Fight Club...well, you saved the best for last, I suppose. Not that The Prestige isn't great; it's fantastic. Fight Club is just significantly better. Hopefully you've gotten this far without someone ruining it for you.

Edit: I just realized I re-bought Fight Club on blu-ray and haven't watched it. Well, shit, I know what I'm doing tonight.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Free Mega Bundles
2. Re: Heroes of the Storm Free Mega Bundles Apr 22, 2017, 20:03 HoSpanky

This is a great deal for those who are just starting out with the game. I'm annoyed that they're taking away the ability to buy master skins and color variants, and instead turning it into "hey, here's a TON of crap for the characters you don't want!". I'm not sure who likes that style of "reward", but clearly people love the shit out of loot boxes in Overwatch, which is why this came to HOTS.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 21, 2017, 15:38 HoSpanky

Sites like this are a problem for several reasons, and I get why devs hate them. Look, if what YOU did for a living was suddenly devalued by someone who's actively taking revenue from you, you'd be pissed too. You can say "well get over it", or "then go do something else", but if everyone left the industry, who would make games?

Cutter, Canada and Australia really get the shaft on game pricing, and that needs to be addressed by the developers/publishers directly. It's their own fault that people look elsewhere in those particular cases. But when someone buys keys meant for a country where "full" price would sell zero copies, then resells them in another country, that's some horseshit. Acting like it's the same as any other commodity is asinine; any other commodity costs money to physically transfer around the globe. THAT cost usually negates the savings, so it doesn't happen.

And that's before the stolen card shit is added in.

1768 Comments. 89 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo