Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1933 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Are "Let's Play" Streams Legal?
10. Re: Are Jan 29, 2018, 11:18 HoSpanky

Iím a bit split on this:

For multiplayer games, I think Letís Plays are a good thing. They show how a game functions, and can raise interest in a game that may have no marketing budget.

For single player, story-driven games, they can be devastating to sales. Why buy an adventure game when you can watch the story, and avoid the downtime of dying or getting narratively ďstuckĒ?

To make matters less altruistic, keep in mind that some streamers make shocking amounts of money, and their video content is almost entirely provided by the games they play. The people who MADE that content should be getting a cut of that, especially when itís a single player game where the video undoubtedtly cannibalizes sales.

The excuse of ďbut I never would have paid to play that gameĒ is a weak one...yes you would, the price just hadnít dropped to your tipping point yet. But if you watch a play through of it, thereís no incentive for you to EVER purchase the game. Again, this assumes single player, story-driven.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > CIG Responds to Crytek
22. Re: CIG Responds to Crytek Jan 28, 2018, 23:13 HoSpanky

I didn't back Star Citizen, so I have no dog in this fight. If it comes out and isn't the next No Man's Sky (initial release, not current), I'll prolly pick it up. If it's shit, well...it's not like people haven't gotten hyped up over bad games before.

If this lawsuit kills it, which seems unlikely unless they're already about to collapse, then we lose out on either a great game or a great joke. So I'm KINDA pulling for CIG on this, but only out of curiosity of the final product, not because I think they're blameless.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Standard Edition Price Not Increasing
1. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Standard Edition Price Not Increasing Jan 27, 2018, 13:35 HoSpanky

I bought the starter edition, incorrectly assuming I could upgrade to the full version for the difference in price. Nope. Iím hoping the changes coming include such a feature.  

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
1. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jan 27, 2018, 13:29 HoSpanky

Well, thereís no Uncharted in this, bummer. Thatís the last game I bought the system for that I donít have.  

News Comments > Paragon Closing in April; Refunds Offered
14. Re: Paragon Closing in April; Refunds Offered Jan 27, 2018, 10:24 HoSpanky

Paragon always looked amazing but I never felt compelled to play more than one round at a time. Like Lawbreakers, itís a game that had most of the ingredients of a good game, but no one cared anyway.

So now, theyíll add the Paragon team to Fortnite Battle Royale development, and continue to make a mess out of Save The World, which worked almost perfectly UNTIL they added BR. Now itís a constant flow of returning bugs.

News Comments > World of Warcraft Recruit-A-Friend Changes Live
3. Re: World of Warcraft Recruit-A-Friend Changes Live Jan 22, 2018, 23:53 HoSpanky

This is part of the whole ďmake leveling fun, and not a choreĒ. Iím torn on it. On one hand, it was nice to steamroll a toon thru most of the prior content. On the other, you would end up skipping most of an areaís storyline because it wouldnít be worth xp anymore.

And the cynic in me sees it as a way to sell more ďinstant-leveled toon!Ē things for $60.

News Comments > Rocket League Cross-Platform Party Plans [Updated]
1. Re: Rocket League Cross-Platform Plans Jan 22, 2018, 21:44 HoSpanky

Oh good, I was looking into getting a Switch, and if I can play RL with the guys while sitting in front of the fireplace, Iím all about that.  

News Comments > Rust Leaving Early Access in February
3. Re: Rust Leaving Early Access in February Jan 22, 2018, 21:14 HoSpanky

So, itíll still be unfinished, but theyíre feeling like theyíd make more money if they dropped the EA tag. Fucking ridiculous.  

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Beta This Week
9. Re: Sea of Thieves Beta This Week Jan 22, 2018, 15:31 HoSpanky

It's Win10 because it's crossplay compatible with Xbone games. Every game done that way is Windows Store Only. I'm not a fan of the Windows Store, but it DOES mean I can play Forza Horizon 3 on my PC. You have to consider it that way, instead of "do it my way or not at all". Because then you wouldn't even have the option. These games would be Xbone-only, MS has exclusivity rights.

I'd prefer to have all my games in one store, but that just isn't possible right now.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Jan 20, 2018, 10:48 HoSpanky

So, Battlefield 2142 in space! Itís $10 on sale, and reviews are largely positive.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 19, 2018, 18:53 HoSpanky

I thought PC gamingís death was the thing that was always predicted, not consoles.  

News Comments > PUBG Cheaters and Not Cheaters Identified
11. Re: PUBG Cheaters and Not Cheaters Identified Jan 19, 2018, 16:15 HoSpanky

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 19, 2018, 10:35:
Creston wrote on Jan 19, 2018, 10:28:
In addition, we are looking into adopting a new solution to detect and ban more cheaters and we have been continuously strengthening our security systems

Your game trusts the client for a lot of important information. I'm not really sure it can ever be made even remotely secure.
It works out pretty well for them. Ban cheaters, next day they re-buy the game. Rinse and repeat.
Works for CS, don't see why it wouldn't work for PUBG.
It's a rather successful business model

I wonder how much they actually make on that, since the cheats are heavily used by Chinese players. No way PUBG costs $30 in China. Make cosmetics non-tradeable and watch the cheater count nosedive...but then they couldnít make extra money off trade transactions.

News Comments > Epic on the Future of Paragon
4. Re: Epic on the Future of Paragon Jan 17, 2018, 14:07 HoSpanky

Beamer...UT4 development is pretty much dead, has been for a while. From what I heard, the UT4 team is the group working on Battle Royale.

Personally, I HATE BR because itís clearly stolen development from Save The World, which is more my kind of game. Ever since BR showed up, STW has gotten buggier. Some of itís from console optimization, causing freezes every time the sun comes up, and others are issues with team members disappearing from a group halfway through a match. Lately, building traps is a crapshoot, where you might click on gas traps and end up creating floor spikes. Itís still fun despite the issues, but it feels like theyíre going backwards.

News Comments > Fable Return Rumor
6. Re: Fable Return Rumor Jan 17, 2018, 13:58 HoSpanky

I dunno how I feel about this. Playground has made the most consistently awesome racing series since Burnout was murdered by EA. But theyíre a team of racing game veterans, and Iím not sure what an RPG from devs like that would turn out like. Hopefully they hire people who have done that sort of game before.

Then again, Blizzard had never made a FPS and knocked it out of the park. So while itís unlikely Playground will pull off a modern classic, I wouldnít write them off yet. And no matter what it turns out to be, it will be CRAZY gorgeous.

Most of you have probably written off the new game due to it being a win10 only title. Itíll be a super ridiculous complaint about it whenever it actually comes out but I have no doubt some of you will be clinging to win7. Playground DOES do a LOT of post-release support on their games, FH3 went from a trainwreck to being spectacular...as long as you use Nvidia.

News Comments > PC FINAL FANTASY XV in March; Specs [Updated]
15. Re: PC FINAL FANTASY XV in March; Specs [Updated] Jan 16, 2018, 15:56 HoSpanky

Kxmode wrote on Jan 16, 2018, 15:00:
ForgedReality wrote on Jan 16, 2018, 13:48:
Plus, I mean, it's a console game.

Have you played Horizon Zero Dawn?

God, HZD is so goddamn good. It was the tipping point for me to buy a ps4, and it did not disappoint.

As for Final fantasy, we got that for the ps4 as well. The wife played it, never finished it. She got to some mission focused on Cup Noodle, which killed her interest in the game.

News Comments > Fortnite Battle Royale Royale's Success
2. Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Royale's Success Jan 15, 2018, 20:58 HoSpanky

the Battle Royale part is shaping up. not as robust as PUBG, but it's made from a COMPLETELY different sort of game. Save The World is...so very, very different from BR.  

News Comments > Another Fortnite Lawsuit
2. Re: Another Fortnite Lawsuit Jan 14, 2018, 21:50 HoSpanky

Osc8r wrote on Jan 14, 2018, 16:50:
Poor poor Epic, gotta try and sell as many of those $20 skins (in an early access game no less).

Iíd argue that Fortnite doesnít FEEL like early access. The Save The World portion has been running unique events pretty much every month. The only EA game that feels even LESS incomplete is Factorio.

Since you earn v-bucks at a decent rate in STW, the concern is the MASSIVE number of Battle Royale people who are playing for free, yet want the custom (visual changes only) goodies. Since you can use v-bucks in either mode, STW players can buy BR gear without spending another dime. Epicís concern is that, unchecked, people like this would kill any income the BR mode would bring in. Last I checked, no one made games of this caliber for the fun of it.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: 10 mile walk Jan 13, 2018, 13:52 HoSpanky

This happened a year or two back, itís not a recent story. Still awesome. Thatís a restaurant in Indianapolis called Papa Roux, and itís awesome Cajun food. Itís a long drive from my place but I still get down there now and again. I recently actually wondered if that kid still works there.

Amusingly, I clicked on the title saying ďthat same thing happened down by Papa Roux a couple years back!Ē aaaand it IS that story.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 13, 2018, 09:38 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Jan 12, 2018, 20:21:
Hey Bezos why don't you try treating your employees well first?

I worked at an Amazon facility for about 10 months. The work is exhausting but itís warehouse work. Very simple and pays better than almost any other warehouse job. People complain because the system doesnít allow them to goof off.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 9, 2018, 13:12 HoSpanky

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 9, 2018, 12:58:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 9, 2018, 10:23:
If they wanted to lower it to 10 Mbit, that wouldn't particularly bother me, 10 Mbit (assuming you can actually get 10 Mbit and it is not some kind of marketing lie) is more than sufficient for probably 95+% of the population. That said, you didn't indicate how low they want to move the mark, and sadly I'm guessing it is even lower than 10 Mbit.

I don't agree 10Mbit is sufficient. We are moving toward streaming, 10 mbit is already cutting it close just for a single HD Netflix stream. But why do we always just assume a family does just one thing on the net? What if me, wife and kids want to stream different things to our devices, while being online doing other things as well? I have 1000Mbit, I feel 250Mbit is a good fair number with a modern family, I just took what I got due to availability. What I'd aim for a minimum would be 100Mbit.

This isn't just about a single person living in today's world.

This. This right here. I deal with a LOT of customers who complain that video streaming is terrible, what they MEAN is ďwhen everyone is trying to watch something different, in HDĒ. An average 1080p feed eats up 12mb, 4 eats a MINIMUM of 25. Even a 50x10 connection struggles to keep a family of 4 happy.

But, letís be fair on the Rural America thing: these people *chose* to live miles away from a city, they knew the trade off. I am absolutely against incumbent services blocking a community-funded internet, but EACH HOUSE in farmland would cost a couple grand to hook up to a new feed (fiber, as thereís literally no reason to run anything else). I absolutely believe that cost should be shouldered by the people benefitting from it.

1933 Comments. 97 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo