Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 2002 (Senior)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Watch Dogs 3 Plans Revealed?
7. Re: Watch Dogs 3 Plans Revealed? Apr 16, 2018, 14:54 HoSpanky

saluk wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 14:20:
wtf_man wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 12:44:
I actually liked the first one, even though a majority of folks seems to disagree.

It was a nice distraction, but I haven't thought about it much since. I had similar feelings about other non-gta open world games, like [prototype] or the whole saints row series.

I disagree about Saints Row...but only ďThe ThirdĒ. It was completely bonkers, and while I didnít CARE about the characters, they were hilarious, and I recommend it to anyone looking for an absurd action game with lots of dumb-but-funny writing. The 4th one felt like a pale shadow of The Third.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > A Way Out Sells 1M
15. Re: A Way Out Sells 1M Apr 15, 2018, 09:12 HoSpanky

Slick wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 07:58:
Apparently, EA doesn't even make money from this. Yes, you read that right. They recoup all the development costs and then everything after that goes straight to the developer.

That....that doesn't seem like something EA would ever consider doing. Where's the part where they buy the Indie studio, forcing them to make weak sequels until they're no longer profitable, and then dissolve the studio?

News Comments > New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced
19. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 13, 2018, 14:40 HoSpanky

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 12:26:
I've been sitting patiently waiting for the next generation of GPUs to land to build a new computer. My CPU is a i7-4700K, ram is 16 gigs DDR3 and using a 500 gig second generation Intel SSD with a 980 Ti.

Its been working well on everything so far but I'm looking at a full upgrade and the caveat is the next generation from 1080 Ti..

So people that are in the know for processors, how did the new intels versus ryzen fan out and do you see these overtaking?

You wonít see a large jump in gaming performance from upgrading that processor. Iím assuming itís a 4770k, as there doesnít seem to be any 4700k listing. You likely wonít see ANY difference. I went from a 3.2ghz i5 to an i7-4790k (final chip my board supports) and performance didnít change noticeably. Itís gonna be a long while before gaming really beats up your CPU again, with a handful of exceptions, and video card will BY FAR make a bigger difference. Whatever Nvidia releases next, youíd be better off buying the top end card they release than getting a few steps down to afford a new board/CPU/ram.

The lack of progress on CPUs is in your favor! Right now all theyíre doing is making them more power efficient, but thatís not translating into much lower thermals. So frequencies are kinda stuck where they are without getting into large heatsinks or waterblocks. Weíre likely looking at an explosion of core count and better multithreading than higher clocks speeds.

The only reason to upgrade your board/ram/cpu is if you have a buyer for the old stuff, and theyíre buying at near retail. Or if itís a gift to someone, of course. Your ďoldĒ cpu isnít really very far behind the new ones.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Apr 11, 2018, 13:07 HoSpanky

This section should have been called ďradical thingsĒ today.  

News Comments > Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes
12. Re: Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes Apr 11, 2018, 12:42 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 11:58:
Luke wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 11:50:
Lots of bla bla bla but the sheep's keep on using this spyware

And the alternatives are what exactly?

Knowing Lukeís entire posting history involves calling people either sheep or clowns, with literally nothing constructive, he HAS no alternative. He thinks heís smarter than everyone else while using the vocabulary/grammar of a child.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 11, 2018, 12:36 HoSpanky

Oh wow, the warranty void stickers thing is a pretty big deal. Electronics over $15 cant void their warranties just because you have someone else work on it.

I imagine botched DIY repairs wonít be covered though.

News Comments > Boss Key Strives for Radical Heights
22. Re: Boss Key Strives for Radical Heights Apr 10, 2018, 10:17 HoSpanky

So, despite the terrible trailer, despite the atrocious art, Iím gonna give this game a spin this Thursday. Why? Mostly because itís free and only costs me some time.

I will likely hate it. But thereís a tiny possibility that they have some clever/hilarious design ideas in it that arenít conveyed in the trailer.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2018, 12:18 HoSpanky

LeeMajors77 wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 11:14:
Look up Eric Goodman Foundation Training on YouTube to strengthen your back. It takes 14 minutes but after a couple days, your back will disappear.

I think he wants to KEEP his back, though. Iím not sure anyone survives losing theirs.

News Comments > GTA5 the Most Successful Media Title of All Time
3. Re: GTA5 the Most Successful Media Title of All Time Apr 9, 2018, 10:58 HoSpanky

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 10:36:
and I still haven't played it..... Laugh2

The story mode is pretty spectacular. I didnít find the multiplayer very engaging, as the shooting/driving is vastly inferior to more focused titles. If you can get it on sale, the single player is worth going through.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Hero Reveal Tomorrow
1. Re: Heroes of the Storm Hero Reveal Tomorrow Apr 4, 2018, 21:09 HoSpanky

Rock n Roll Racing Pickup truck. You heard it here first!  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 4, 2018, 11:53 HoSpanky

MacLeod wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 11:33:
"hostile stingrays"... I'm just picturing roving bands of sea animal, floating around the streets, stinging people.

Thatís what I thought it was about at first.

As some of the commenters on the article said, if law enforcement canít keep physical hardware out of the hands of criminals, how could they possibly hope to keep an ďencryption backdoorĒ from getting out of their control?

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Dropping DX9 and 32-bit Clients
11. Re: Heroes of the Storm Offering Original Price Refunds? Apr 4, 2018, 09:57 HoSpanky

Hanneth wrote on Apr 3, 2018, 22:52:
And Blizzard is offering full refunds to those that cannot meet the new requirements right?
I personally have never bought, or played it, but if anyone's computer does not match the new minimum requirements, by law, they are required to to offer a full refund of the price the person paid, or some way to play the game in another way.
There is already case presidence for this.

HOTS is free to play. So I guess theyíll totally give you back your non-payment. Any micro transactions made in game are lost, same as when a FTP online game shuts down.

Those complaining that the game ďlooks dx9Ē...the changes made since 9 have been mostly performance-based. HOTS looks pretty damn good, and holds to its intended visual style. Itís supposed to look good but also very clearly convey whatís happening. I think a lot of people associate visual clutter with ďbetter graphicsĒ.

News Comments > R.I.P. Steam Machines?
20. Re: R.I.P. Steam Machines? Apr 2, 2018, 16:26 HoSpanky

DangerDog wrote on Apr 2, 2018, 15:17:
I don't think the Linux community is open to the idea of making it more user friendly though.

This. Generally, Linux users relish the user-unfriendliness. Itís a badge of honor for them, then they wonder why the world looks at Linux, shrugs, and forgets all about it.
Back when Quake3 came out, iD made a big deal about a same-time Linux release, sold on store shelves. It sold miserably. The world was watching and the Linux community failed to prove they were worth making games for. That was the last time I can recall anyone truly taking the OS seriously.
It doesnít matter how stable or powerful it is if no one makes anything for it. Some companies throw them a bone here and there, but Linux and its community will be second class citizens forever.

News Comments > Factorio Price Boost Next Month
13. Re: Factorio Price Boost Next Month Mar 31, 2018, 15:42 HoSpanky

jdreyer wrote on Mar 31, 2018, 14:34:
I saw the character had a gun. Are there enemies?

As Peter says, yes, there are enemies. You saw the gun... there's also a little car with a turret and a tank that you can load some nasty stuff into. Flame throwers, chainguns, laser turrets and in the newest patch, mortar cannons. Apparently you can put the cannons on trains, which sounds hilarious.

Unless you REALLY crank up the monster difficulty/spawn rate, they're really mostly a nuisance. Unless you go looking for trouble, you will die more to your own trains than the monsters.

You WILL
get killed
by your own trains.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 30, 2018, 11:30 HoSpanky

The whole Uber thing is kinda a pile of shit. Sure, the self-driving car didnít detect the woman, but that woman was 49 years old and still wasnít smart enough to check for oncoming traffic. She wasnít even looking up when she was hit.

So now people are all up in arms about self driving cars, but I donít see headlines every time a pedestrian is hit by a human behind the wheel, because thatíd be several times EVERY FUCKING DAY. Iím not saying the issue shouldnít be investigated, see WHY it didnít see her, but to shut down the program seems stupid. Also, settling with the womanís family seems dumb unless it was for VERY cheap...she was absolutely not supposed to be there. The car had every right to be. Iím assuming the settlement was just to keep the family from adding to the media circus.

News Comments > Overwatch Tease
6. Re: Overwatch Tease Mar 30, 2018, 07:26 HoSpanky

opie wrote on Mar 30, 2018, 05:06:
kibbled wrote on Mar 29, 2018, 23:52:
I'm think they are bringing back the Kings Road PVE map from last year.

That is what I am thinking, but I hope not.

It seems quite likely. That WAS the entire theme of that mode.

News Comments > Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered Edition Announced
22. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Mar 29, 2018, 21:15 HoSpanky

This game occasionally gets pulled out at LANs. It always ends up that we keep trying to see if we can sneak up on someone and smoosh them with the hammer. The ridiculous destruction makes it hard for anyone to camp, so USUALLY there isn't anyone with a huge score lead. This update is a nice, if unneccessary, bonus. Are they maybe exploring a proper open-world sequel?  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 28, 2018, 11:45 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Mar 28, 2018, 11:29:
And he's right. Amazon - online retailers - should have to play by the same rules.

I agree, somewhat. Itís not as simple as ďletís go after the one company disrupting Trumpís croniesí businessesĒ, which is exactly what Trump is doing. The issue isnít at a federal level. Itís based on a per-state sales tax system that doesnít require stores to collect sales tax if they donít have a physical presence in the state the item is being purchased in.

Sales tax wonít slow down Amazon. Itís a well designed, CRAZY efficient system. And if they go after Amazon, they have to go after EVERY retailer with an online presence, which will include his friends who are complaining about Amazon. The number of jobs people are losing at retail is probably fewer than Amazon opens up, but HOLY CRAP does Amazon employ a lot of people. Iíd bet they pay better than the retail stores Trump wants to save.

Hereís the thing: people clearly would rather purchase some goods online. Itís just easier. If I want a doodad that may be hard to get, Iíll look online rather than waste my time driving around to multiple stores. Some brick and mortar stores will survive, namely womenís clothing and grocery. Iíve done online grocery shopping before, and letting someone else choose your produce doesnít end particularly well.

Trump is focused on this issue solely because his friends are losing money from it, NOT because itís better for America. Thatís his entire M.O., and he and his dinosaur mindset needs to get removed as soon as possible.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Mar 27, 2018, 07:16 HoSpanky

webber wrote on Mar 27, 2018, 06:04:
X-Morph is awesome! Highly recommended.
Came in here to say pretty much the same thing. I bought it at full price, no regrets.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 26, 2018, 18:41 HoSpanky

What? A company whose entire revenue model is based on selling information ACTUALLY SOLD INFORMATION?

https://youtu.be/E8b4xYbEugo

2002 Comments. 101 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo