Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1611 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > EU Probing Steam and Others for Region Blocking Games
3. Re: EU Probing Steam and Others for Region Blocking Games Feb 2, 2017, 10:42 HoSpanky

This cross-market parallel trade complaint is a pile of shit. That's for physical goods.

If there are countries where your software has to be sold for VERY cheap, or it won't sell at all, then you sell it cheap there and reap only goodwill, no profit. But if that country's residents decide to turn it into a business, selling those game keys to people in countries where they CAN afford the normal price, then it makes the game worth so little that the game publisher would have been better off not making the game.

Unlike physical goods, there's no effort or difficulty in "moving" the product. That's usually what keeps systems like this in check.

I'm sure there will be plenty of you who say I'm against you being able to get a good deal. I'm not. But I AM concerned that you don't see the bigger picture, which is a collapse of AAA game houses. No one's gonna make a game like Uncharted 4 if it'd only sell for $5.

People on this forum loathe F2P games, and then complain about region blocking key usage. If region blocking is taken away, everything will become a f2p micro transaction shitball. Not immediately! But within 5 years of it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > ZeniMax Wins $500M in Oculus Lawsuit
15. Re: ZeniMax Wins $500M in Oculus Lawsuit Feb 1, 2017, 23:50 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Feb 1, 2017, 23:34:
SirKnight wrote on Feb 1, 2017, 23:18:

Carmack intentionally destroyed data on his computer after he got notice of this litigation and right after he researched on Google how to wipe a hard drive—and data on other Oculus computers and USB storage devices were similarly deleted (as determined by a court-appointed, independent expert in computer forensics); (vii) when he quit id Software, Carmack admitted he secretly downloaded and stole over 10,000 documents from ZeniMax on a USB storage device, as well as the entire source code to RAGE and the id tech® 5 engine —which Carmack uploaded to his Oculus computer;

Damn son. I would have thought Carmack was smarter than this...

That sounds like complete bullshit to me. John Carmack would not have to google how to wipe a fucking hard drive.

To an extent, I agree, although he may have been looking for secure erase software.

Ok, lemme toss THIS question out: it's pretty well known that without specific software, and even possibly after that, it's possible to tell a drive has been wiped and possibly recover some data. Why not physically destroy it instead? If someone was actually concerned they had data that could be used against them on a drive, that drive needs to be obliterated and replaced. They're not expensive. They're certainly not MILLIONS OF DOLLARS.

Clearly he didn't think anything would come of it...but then why wipe the drive at all?

As for trying to block sales of the hardware...that's just Zenimax being a sore winner.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 31, 2017, 16:23 HoSpanky

Thanks nin. I actually already have R&C (was less than $10, and it's all but guaranteed to be awesome). I also have a PS4 controller, due to our company shutting down one of our rewards programs and I snagged what I could with the points I had.

After spending my lunch break reading about Horizon Zero Dawn, I'm pretty much determined that I'll have a PS4 pro this month. For the next few days, Newegg has them for $30 off, which negates the sales tax (but I can pick it up same day if I wanna drive half an hour). Might be ordering it for pick up tomorrow.

Any of you use PS+? Is it worth it? It's a decent deal on the Xbone when it can be had for $40 or under, although I don't really play many of the free games.

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 31, 2017, 14:50 HoSpanky

Verno wrote on Jan 31, 2017, 13:17:
The PS4 has a ton of cool exclusives though and even moreso if you love Japanese games. You can pickup a Slim bundle at a decent sale price sometimes too. My PS4 gets a ton of play time now.

Yeah, I'm currently eyeing a PS4 pro. Might as well get the beefier one if I'm gonna get one, yeah? There's a lot of exclusives for it that I want to play, and a lot of them are bargain bin pricing now. The Order 1776, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted 4, Odin Sphere (now in HD!), The Last Guardian...there's more but can't recall off the top of my head. There's a few upcoming ones as well, I'm a sucker for God of War games.

News Comments > Conan Exiles Early Access
15. Re: Conan Exiles Early Access Jan 31, 2017, 14:45 HoSpanky

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jan 31, 2017, 12:03:
HoSpanky wrote on Jan 31, 2017, 11:44:
My games drive is a 1tb SSD, and I regularly have to decide what stays and what goes.

How many games you playing at once? I'm using a 500 gig SSD and it's never more than half full. I only have about 4-5 games installed at a time because I'm not playing more than that.

it's a mix of "games perpetually installed for lans" (yep, we still do them, and this is a very large part of it), "huge games that I may be taking a break from", "games I'm playing currently" and "games I installed with the intent of getting my attention so I play the damn things". Not a fan of constantly reinstalling, my internet is currently painfully slow.

I also have a much smaller msata drive (salvaged from a dead NUC) that houses my Microsoft Store games, because they don't accurately report the space they eat to the OS. Gears 4, Forza Horizon 3 and Killer Instinct eat up the entire damn thing though, so I'm probably gonna be upgrading it if I'm still occasionally playing Gears when Crackdown 3 comes out. Although to be fair, KI's probably first on the chopping block.

6. Re: Conan Exiles Early Access Jan 31, 2017, 11:44 HoSpanky

LOC wrote on Jan 31, 2017, 11:21:
Just be aware, its a near 40 GIG install at this point in time. I know space isn't a deal break for a lot of you guys with mega rigs and all. But it is a big deal for me sadly.

Still, the game seems pretty good so far. Glad I can pick a PvE server as I hate PvP survival games where I can get ganked by someone when I spawn the first time. Still even in PvE, there is full loot drop on death, but only the owner can get the stuff you drop. So not sure why that's there...

40gb is what most AAA games eat anymore. My games drive is a 1tb SSD, and I regularly have to decide what stays and what goes. I think currently Gears of War 4 is the largest game I've seen, at 80gb. If a large SSD is out of your price range, platter drives are INSANELY cheap, 2tb is well under $100.

As for the loot drop even on PvE, that's entirely there so you have to venture back to whatever killed you to get your loot back.

4. Re: Conan Exiles Early Access Jan 31, 2017, 11:12 HoSpanky

Another survival game that's going to stay in Early Access forever. Except this time you can adjust the size of your character's dick, so that ought to lead to tons of purchases from giggling teenagers.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 30, 2017, 21:44 HoSpanky

Yeah, people ordering gigabit tend to think EVERY device they own will run at 1000mb. So very untrue. The 5ghz antenna on the most common uverse RG maxes out around 350mb, and even people who wire in directly may not see full speeds. Mac laptops tend to max out at 400/200, sometimes 200/200. It's a very clear wall they hit. Most laptops struggle to get over 400mb wired, but a desktop with a decent motherboard almost always hits around 930-960.

Unfortunately, the average person doesn't USE a desktop, and the ones who run speed tests to jack off to usually are sad about what numbers they can hit. This results in bogus trouble calls for "slow internet". If we bring out a laptop that we KNOW can hit 930/930 over Ethernet, they claim we cheated on the speed test since their own devices can't come close.

Every gigabit install I do, I make sure to curb their expectations over wifi. We don't wire up Ethernet jacks to their devices, unless the wiring is already there...and it's never there. I routinely install fiber in brand new, $600k+ houses, where there's coax to every wall and cat5 to nothing. Too fucking bad!

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 30, 2017, 13:12 HoSpanky

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 09:51:
Uh, you lost me...
...because businesses were always the primary target for MS office?

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 29, 2017, 18:42 HoSpanky

The Oculus Roomscale USB post just screams "oh god we never thought roomscale would be a concern!", as three cameras seems to require two separate USB controllers. Roomscale isn't within reach for a lot of people, but for those who bought Rift and ASSUMED it was going to allow the same playspace as the Vive, this is a big disappointment.
I went Vive. I'm disappointed that Oculus doesn't have support for the Vive on their store yet, but they'll have to sooner or later.
As for the tracking hardware, both are decent but only the Lighthouse system has any third party accessory support coming. Not sure if that even matters, as additional peripherals would need widespread game support to matter to consumers.

News Comments > 25M Overwatch Players
17. Re: 25M Overwatch Players Jan 27, 2017, 20:57 HoSpanky

Bumpy wrote on Jan 27, 2017, 17:35:
I don't get the popularity of this toon game.

Why the mass appeal?

I wonder if it has to do with being a rare game with no fear of color. Every FPS lately has the color washed out, to make it more "gritty and realistic" or some shit. Blizzard's never been afraid to have bright color in their games, Diablo 1&2 are the only exception.
Clearly, Bumpy doesn't like games that aren't "realistic" (drab). Maybe people don't want something that LOOKS as depressing as their real life is? I can't bring myself to play Skyrim, despite the glowing reviews, because every screenshot looks like it's all the same goddamn town, all brown and grey. If I want brown and grey I'll go outside anytime in the winter here.

News Comments > DiRT 4 Announced
8. Re: DiRT 4 Announced Jan 26, 2017, 17:48 HoSpanky

Slick wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 12:22:
No native HTC vive support? No sale.

Fuckers already did oculus like 8 months ago, and recently added PSVR.

I'm normally not irrationally mad at game studios, even when there's reasons... But this is my top mad of 2016. Paid $1350 for the vive, $3000 for the PC. $550 for the force feedback wheel. And still there's no definitive rally driving game. Well.... There IS. But I can't play it. Cause reasons. Fuuuuuuuck!

Yeah, I'm super annoyed at codemasters for pretending it's super difficult to add in Vive support. For a seated experience, it's pretty much exactly the same, unless you're a moron and develop directly for the Rift and not for OpenVR.

I don't see any mention of VR support for Dirt 4 whatsoever. Maybe they'll just go openvr this time and not intentionally leave out more than half of the PC VR market.

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 25, 2017, 15:25 HoSpanky

This is a bit disappointing. The PS4 pro isn't quite beefy enough for proper VR, the Scorpio seems like it might be.

We NEED a console for heavy-duty VR. PC VR is fine, but there are too many possible configurations to be SURE of how a game is going to run, unless you target below minimum spec. With a VR capable console, a SOLID target to hit, games can be built specifically to use every ounce of the machine. I realize THAT much isn't news; consoles have always punched above their class. What I'm saying is that VR, where solid framerate is the divider between fun and nausea, would be best served by a console.

It's possible that MS is still working out HOW they plan to do VR. I'm betting they initially planned on using Oculus, but now to avoid giving Oculus a cut of every game sale, they may be building their own VR setup. If it's not ready the day the system launches, maybe they don't want to publish features it doesn't yet have.

I'm hoping it's just a delayed launch. I'm also hoping they use Oculus or a Lighthouse solution, as PSVR's tracking is GOOD, but not stellar.

Edit: the link has been updated, Microsoft has responded that they still plan on having VR for it.

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 2017, 17:20.

News Comments > Walking on Arizona Sunshine
1. Re: Walking on Arizona Sunshine Jan 25, 2017, 14:56 HoSpanky

None of this matters if the audio still cuts out after 10 minutes. Was hoping to see that in the big fixes.

I really enjoy what little I've played of the game. It looks great, runs MOSTLY ok on a 970. Scavenging in vehicles is where I see the most frame loss, but also anytime I'm VERY close to an object. I'm betting reprojection is on 100% of the time. Pistol aiming down the sights is broken as hell, but I think it's because shooting from the hip feels shockingly accurate.

It's the closest thing to a REAL VR(only) game so far, so it's hard to get too twisted up over it.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 23, 2017, 23:46 HoSpanky

I'm hoping they actually pull out a hella chip with Ryzen...they kind of NEED to at this point. Intel has done nothing for a few years, except tiny incremental increases.  

News Comments > Halo Wars 2 Blitz Beta
1. Re: Halo Wars 2 Blitz Beta Jan 22, 2017, 15:14 HoSpanky

Downloaded this last night, mostly just interested in how the game runs on PC. I enjoyed the original game on 360, although I never got into the adversarial multiplayer.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
17. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 22, 2017, 10:34 HoSpanky

El Pit wrote on Jan 22, 2017, 02:04:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 21, 2017, 20:55:
El Pit wrote on Jan 21, 2017, 11:55:
3D has come and gone multiple times, it will return in 20 years or so. But at least it had some success and was better this time than back in the early 80s and 50s. Let's see if VR can at least be half as successful as this iteration of 3D has been - I dare to say it won't. Right there is your real DOA.

VR is here to stay. It may not be wildly successful but it will be a niche product for the foreseeable future.

Such was 3D - a niche product for a forseeable future. 3D at least had Avatar to push it, VR has nothing up to now.

The difference here being that while people are amused, but not IMPRESSED with 3D, everyone is blown away by proper VR (not cellphone VR). The problem is that 3D came first and until they try it, people think VR is just "3D strapped to your face". It's incredibly hard to describe using VR, and that's where its largest hurdle is. 3dtv left such a bad taste in people's mouths that VR has a hell of an uphill battle.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 21, 2017, 15:16 HoSpanky

My tv came with passive 3D, I really don't use it, with one single exception.

A game called Super Stardust HD on the PS3 has a 3D option. Unlike most games, it's not just a gimmicky bonus. Play it ONCE in 3D and try to go back to 2D. The game is visual pandaemonium, but in 3D, you can much more easily discern what you should be concerned with. You can easily judge which asteroids/enemies dropping in are far enough up to sneak under, and which enemies/bullets/asteroids are on your plane instead of wrapped around behind the planet.

It's definitely a case of "it's incredibly useful for this ONE game". Im sure when I retire the tv, SSHD will be nothing but a pleasant memory to me, and I won't miss the passing of 3D tv. But if you HAVE a 3dtv and a PS3, pick up SSHD. It's unbelievably great.

News Comments > Halo Wars 2 Gold
1. Re: Halo Wars 2 Gold Jan 18, 2017, 11:49 HoSpanky

I'm a bit surprised a sequel happened. I picked up Halo Wars for like $7, got a copy for a friend. Had a GREAT time playing it co-op through the campaign.

If the second one gets decent reviews, I'll get it as well. So far I've had no trouble with the win10 versions of games (Forza Horizon 3 and Gears4), except for the weird way MS hides the games and even the data they consume. Had to give my Store games their own drive so I wasn't freaking out over "where did 200 gb go?". Looks like that drive may need to be bumped up in capacity, already packed a 250gb drive.

News Comments > Unforgiven VR Early Access Next Month
9. Re: Unforgiven VR Early Access Next Month Jan 17, 2017, 00:37 HoSpanky

Maybe someday I'll play superhot, when they make it for my VR headset. It looks neat, but Oculus buys exclusivity to everything that looks decent. I don't care that they get exclusives to their store, but they also only support one headset. It won't, CAN'T last like that, but for now, it sucks.

And no, I won't install ReVive to play Oculus games, unless they're free. They can support all VR hardware or go fuck themselves.

This Unforgiven game launches at $5. Gonna check initial impressions and maybe pick it up.

1611 Comments. 81 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo