Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1279 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > GeForce Driver Beta
2. Re: GeForce Driver Beta Mar 9, 2016, 09:13 HoSpanky

Played The Division last night...SLI technically is doing...something, but it's not improving performance. Both cards are running constantly around 97%, but my framerate hovers around 50-60...less than what I get using a single card. the game lurches a bit as well, which is odd because you're never moving terribly fast.

Frustratingly, this was NOT my experience during the beta. It ran quite a bit smoother.

So hopefully it's something stupid and it'll be fixed within a few days. I do understand that SLI isn't particularly common, but they DID have it working.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
18. Re: New GeForce Drivers Mar 8, 2016, 09:29 HoSpanky

I run a pair of 970s, and have had no memory-limit-related issues with them. I run a 1440p g-sync monitor, and nothing I've thrown at them gives them any trouble, except obviously for titles with crap SLI functionality. Assassin's Creed Rogue has...issues with snow with SLI enabled.

Heroes of the Storm doesn't scroll liquid smoothly, which is odd because SC2 absolutely DOES, and it's the same engine. This is despite the game running at 70-90 FPS, and SLI doesn't even figure in since the game flips the fuck OUT when it's on. WoW obviously runs butter smooth, only Planetary Annihilation on max settings causes any performance issues, and the friend I was playing with who has a 980 had the same problem. That half a gig isn't the issue there.

That said, if Jasper has hardware AC, on top of the die shrink and HBM2, and it actually adds tho to a significant improvement...I'll probably end up upgrading again. The girlfriend could use a bump up in GPU muscle, and I can sell the other card to one of my woefully behind-the-curve friends.

Prolly will have The Division here within a couple days. Only one of my friends was interested enough to also buy it, so we'll be lookin for people interested in accidentally being shot in the back of the head by me.

News Comments > Hitman DirectX 12 Support
27. Re: Hitman DirectX 12 Support Mar 6, 2016, 08:48 HoSpanky

Really, the question here is "how much time did they invest in AC functionality". If it was a quick thing to implement, then AMD will have a big advantage unless Jasper cards come with hardware AC. If it took them 4-6 months to get it working, then....no, no, it won't matter.
Every technology has a couple of games that are showcases for it. They never mention how much time it took to implement these features, usually because it's generally restrictive. There are also often incompatibilities with other technologies, rendering any gains moot. I'm not saying AC is one of those, but that's USUALLY the way these things shake out. Basically, if the tech is picked up by all the games coming out this Christmas, we'll know it's fairly easy to implement, and doesn't cause issues elsewhere. Otherwise, it's a pain in the ass, will show up in only one out of every 50 games, and isn't a reason to bet on red.

News Comments > Hitman DirectX 12 Support
6. Re: Hitman DirectX 12 Support Mar 5, 2016, 16:48 HoSpanky

Quboid, I think it's a bit of both, altho seeing AMD gain 20% while nvidia gains zilch makes AMD feel like they made a better card, it could also be that Nvidia already had their cards running in badass mode from the start.
We'll see if the Jasper cards bring async compute along with the ridiculous number of other improvements.

Also, these are the results from ONE GAME. Let's see how things shake out when there's a couple dozen to compare. This borderless window/no SLI/forced vsync bullshit needs to get sorted out, however. Gsync is weird with windowed games or when v-sync is already on, and SLI has been perfectly fine for YEARS and they're just gonna act like no one does it.

News Comments > Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die
50. Re: Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die Mar 4, 2016, 15:37 HoSpanky

I don't care if MS wants to sell games in their own store. Every publisher would LOVE to have their own store. Steam, Origin, Uplay, and now the windows store. The Windows store goes for convenience to users over user control, and they go that route WAY too hard. Hopefully they learn from Gears that g-sync, v-sync, and SLI/xfire are things people actually WANT.

Configuring install directories is only slightly more annoying than setting it up in Steam initially. The lack of modability is annoying, but they want to sell DLC, not let other people make free stuff.

If Forza Horizon 3 hits PC, and ISN'T a complete technical disaster, it'll be the first game I'll buy from the Windows store. Because hot DAMN the first two are fantastic games. It's a shame that'll be the only place to get it, but that series is THE reason I bought an Xbone. If I can get it on PC, well...that Xbone can continue gathering dust now that I'm done with FH2.

Well, mostly done. Goddammit just talking about it makes me want to fire it back up.

News Comments > Steam Stops Selling Spintires; Sparks Sabotage Speculation
11. Re: Steam Stops Selling Spintires; Sparks Sabotage Speculation Mar 3, 2016, 08:42 HoSpanky

So from everything I read about this game, ONE GUY seems to be the sole developer. Is that actually true? I haven't bought the game, but it's a rather pretty title for a one-man show.

And if it IS a one-man show, he should release his titles himself on Steam. He'd make a TON more money, and not have to worry about a publisher running away with his profits.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 2, 2016, 17:21 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 12:19:
That's the problem with all this smart bullshit. You have no idea what it's doing.

That's precisely what the company cranking these watches out is banking on (possibly literally).

News Comments > Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Released for Windows 10
22. Re: Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Released for Windows 10 Mar 2, 2016, 17:18 HoSpanky

While this is a remake of a 10 year old game, it IS graphically superior to the original. I'm not making excuses here, it's just that some of you guys seem to think this is the same game from 10 years ago. It's the same levels and story, but the assets have been rebuilt entirely.

The complete lack of options, incompatability with high-end graphics cards and features, and the ridiculous AMD performance ruined their surprise release. While the Windows Store is designed to get things going easier for complete idiots (hence the sandboxing and lack of asking install directory and whatnot), this game CLEARLY doesn't run on hardware OWNED by those idiots. Microsoft can't decide WHO their audience IS, and THAT'S the problem here (aside from the glaring issues with AMD cards).

If they want the hardcore PC crowd's attention, they need to make sure their goofy software package supports those things natively, not COMPLETELY IGNORE them (SLI/crossfire, G-sync, and controllable v-sync options, INSTALL FOLDER). If they want the casual crowd, they're not going to get them with a game that runs at about 4 fps on their integrated graphics chips...they need to release Xbox Arcade-level games that run decently.

I'm hoping this is a lesson ACTUALLY LEARNED, and Forza comes screaming out the gate as an actually decent game.

The whole "win 10 exclusive" isn't even KIND OF a surprise, and being angry that MS won't make it backwards compatible for versions of Windows that they're actively trying to kill is idiotic. EVERY "also on Xbox One" game from MS will be Win10 exclusive. If they continue like Gears, however, the games won't work as leverage.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
2. Re: New GeForce Drivers Mar 2, 2016, 04:23 HoSpanky

Jerykk wrote on Mar 1, 2016, 23:12:
Nvidia recommends a GTX 970 for 1080p60 in Gears of War? A slightly updated version of a game released almost 10 years ago? Seems a bit excessive, though I guess the green team really wants to clear out their current line of cards before announcing the new one.

From what I've read about the game, it needs a 970 because it's horribly optimized. a lot of sites are saying it's a much less finished product than Arkham Knight was on release. Have an AMD card? The game WILL run poorly, with artifacting everywhere, as if they never ever tested with one. G-sync? Better turn it off, this game doesn't work with it, nor SLI, and can ONLY do borderless windowed mode, no dedicated fullscreen. It's pretty bad news when every bit of news you read about a title on release day is about how completely fucked up it is.

News Comments > Forza Motorsport 6: Apex for Windows 10
15. Re: Forza Motorsport 6: Apex for Windows 10 Mar 1, 2016, 13:25 HoSpanky

63 cars, compared to f6's bozillion cars...
And if it's like everything else on the Microsoft store, no v-sync, non-windowed or SLI options, just like Gears of War that snuck out today. I was briefly excited about GOW until people were complaining about the complete lack of graphical settings.

News Comments > HTC Vive Preorders This Morning
12. Re: HTC Vive Preorders This Morning Feb 29, 2016, 13:00 HoSpanky

WaltC wrote on Feb 29, 2016, 11:02:

Your neck will quickly tire of head tracking, I'll predict...

Does your neck get tired from you doing this exact same thing all day, every day for your entire life? The only difference is the added weight, which isn't much. I'd agree with others stating that heat or just the pressure of the device against your face is much more likely to be a deciding factor into when you put it down for a bit.

What I worry about is friends wanting to use it, because they absolutely WILL want to use it. How nasty is the foam barrier going to get from the buildup of oils? I haven't read anything about either headset having that being replaceable, and it NEEDS to be. All it takes is that one buddy who sweats uncontrollably all the goddamn time, like he's constantly trying to lie his way through a murder trial, to make no one else want to put the thing on. I'm already considering how to tell them, politely, to please wash their face instead of just rolling out of bed and coming over.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Feb 28, 2016, 17:44 HoSpanky

Jesus, this game is amusing in multiplayer.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 25, 2016, 14:52 HoSpanky

So, something's gone terribly wrong with bluesnews and my phone. The page refuses to load more than the first 3 or so entries, and the safari locks up. This is not a constant thing, it's every 2 or 3 times I check, so it's likely an ad that's doing something so confusing to my phone that it locks up the browser.
This is the third time or so that an ad has caused me issues, but the previous ones were looping App Store redirects. Sorry, but I'm now running the ad blocker browser, and surprise, zero issues. I don't mind the ads displaying, they're what supports this site. But when those ads directly keep me from seeing the content...well, the ads lose.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2016, 11:27 HoSpanky

I don't have the room for the walkaround experience, so it's the controllers/external camera that are drawing my attention. I'm considering cancelling my rift order for one of these. Or keeping the rift order, and betting someone on eBay is willing to pay full price or more for it.

Yes, it's expensive, but when I was wavering on the Rift, my girlfriend said "isn't this what you built that machine FOR?". From what I'm reading, the Vive SDK is more stable than the rift, at least, it was. I'd be sticking to the Steam storefront, instead of getting an Oculus account and yet another platform to fiddle with. But it's $200 more than the already tough-to-swallow Rift. I've got a few days to decide before the Vive pre-orders start up.

News Comments > Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 20, 2016, 16:40 HoSpanky

First I'd heard of it. I'd have loved to play a new story that was Giants-esque. One of my favorite stories in a game, because it was just so absurd. The multiplayer was fun, except that the Sirens had some ability combos that were unstoppable and way overpowered. Once you had a couple people on their team, the Meccs and Kabuto had zero chance at winning.

Anyway, this is a bit of a shame, but I'd bet investors not only looked at the Kickstarter, but the only similar game (big monster versus lots of little people) lately, Evolve, didn't exactly set the world on fire.

News Comments > Need for Speed PC Specs
11. Re: Need for Speed PC Specs Feb 19, 2016, 15:07 HoSpanky

DangerDog wrote on Feb 19, 2016, 14:38:
Avus wrote on Feb 19, 2016, 10:56:
If you want to play a 2016 racing game with no in-car view, short list of cars, always drive in the dark and wet, rubber band AI, stupid story, Monster drink product placement.... this is the game for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t5Qu3j51l0

I was able to listen to about 30 seconds of that video and that moronic voice. Maybe that shit amuses children.

News Comments > Need for Speed PC Specs
6. Re: Need for Speed PC Specs Feb 19, 2016, 13:03 HoSpanky

Avus wrote on Feb 19, 2016, 10:56:
If you want to play a 2016 racing game with no in-car view, short list of cars, always drive in the dark and wet, rubber band AI, stupid story, Monster drink product placement.... this is the game for you.

This, right here, is why I've got zero interest in this. Hoping the rumor that Forza titles are coming to PC (F6, FH3) is true. The Horizon series is so goddamn amazing, the PC hasn't had anything of that caliber for years and years.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Feb 19, 2016, 07:29 HoSpanky

clearly not the "real" purpose, but a title like "Something different you can do with chopsticks" doesn't get clicks as much.  

News Comments > Paragon Rush the Core Trailer
1. Re: Paragon Rush the Core Trailer Feb 18, 2016, 12:10 HoSpanky

Played this a bit, its filled with final-looking art and incredibly primitive placeholder stuff. But the part that bothers me is individual leveling. HOTS' team leveling allows a much wider set of player options, with characters who have limited, but devastating use that don't have to struggle through finding a way to level.

Morales, for instance, can't wander off on her own. She's no match for more than 2 or 3 creeps, but she can hold a team together through insane shit.

I dunno. Maybe I prefer less hardcore games, and that's it.

News Comments > Battlezone Remake Renamed; Coming This Spring
11. Re: Battlezone Remake Renamed; Coming This Spring Feb 17, 2016, 07:43 HoSpanky

This is NOT a remake. It's a compatibility patch. I'm not saying it didn't take a lot of effort, or that the game isn't fun, but they say it like it's a whole new game.  

1279 Comments. 64 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo