Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1303 (Pro)
User ID 15603
User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > The Division Incursion Details
8. Re: The Division Incursion Details Apr 6, 2016, 14:46 HoSpanky
Yep, this is a hefty nerf to keep people grinding away. Had a lot of fun with this game, put 50 hours into it. Pretty much done now, as the grind for better gear just so I can run the same instances I've already been running doesn't interest me.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 5, 2016, 11:53 HoSpanky
The SLI article doesn't really go after the real issue much, it spends more time describing what a SLI is than what the issue is. Developers just don't care about it because all of their games are made to run on consoles, which are super weaksauce this generation. So two video cards usually aren't necessary.

What would help, immensely, is if the next console generation used two cheaper, cooler-running GPUs instead of one. Games would come with SLI support baked in for PC, and the consoles would have more muscle at a reasonable price.
News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
1. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Apr 4, 2016, 16:46 HoSpanky
So last night was the moment I realized I wasn't having FUN in The Division anymore. Ran a pair of Hard missions, and the enemy spawn points are always the same, to the point that they get spammed with grenades and gunfire and there's usually very little response. Only the Named enemies manage to even get out of their starting position.

Ah well. Was fun while it lasted, and maybe the Incursions will be fun, but my nightly adventures are going to cease. The game is ABSURDLY pretty, with more weather and lighting variations than you'd think were possible in a game set in one season. But I'm no longer constantly in awe of the game's visuals, and after that, there's...sadly not much else.
News Comments > Steam Top 10
8. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 3, 2016, 20:59 HoSpanky
SO, I've been going through my absurd Steam library backlog. Installed and played through Grow Home, was pleasantly surprised. It'll take a long afternoon to play it from start to finish, with some achievements unearned. Not a long game, but also not priced as's $8 full-price. Toss it on your wishlist for when it's half that, and enjoy accidentally killing your ridiculous climbing robot over and over. Ignore the Ubisoft bit, it doesn't phone home to Uplay, and it's absolutely not like their other games.

The Division reminded me that I HAD the game (there's a safehouse inside the studio the game was made in, apparently?). I'm still enjoying doing the dailies, but my interest is wearing thinner each day. I've put 50 hours into it, that's less than a dollar an hour, and I enjoyed most of it.
News Comments > Everybody's Gone to the Rapture for PC Confirmed
5. Re: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture for PC Confirmed Apr 2, 2016, 08:08 HoSpanky
I'm not sure "walking simulator" is the right term for experiences like this. I don't think of them as GAMES, more of an interactive story.

This is one beautiful game, at least in screenshots. It helps when you don't have to worry about any AI or reactive environment. That's not meant as an insult. It gives you a REASON to explore the world they've built, which makes it feel like someone figured out how to sell those gorgeous tech demos we see for new video card features.

I'll likely pick this one up when it's around the $10 mark.
News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 1, 2016, 15:02 HoSpanky
The caps are at 600gb for anyone on 12mb Internet and above, not 250.

I think the caps are dumb, but at 600gb, you're gonna be hard-pressed to use it all unless you stream 4K content every moment you're awake. It's not the disaster that article makes it out to be.
News Comments > The Division DLC Next Month
3. Re: The Division DLC Next Month Mar 31, 2016, 21:40 HoSpanky
Been playing this with a friend, having a blast. far more fun in a group, IMO. I'm not really interested in the DZ stuff, but the Hard and Challenging missions are loads of fun. Challenging missions get abandoned about as often as we actually finish them, so if the Incursions are EVEN HARDER....yikes.

On a side note, SLI now works in it, from what I can tell. There are SEVERAL things that may have affected my experience, though, so test that on your own. I wiped my Win10 install (which was an Upgrade, now a clean install), added 8 GB of ram, and the game's been patched twice since I last tried it, so ANY one of those could have been the solution. I'm using the extra muscle to let me run the Nvidia PCSS shadows, which make a surprising difference (at a HUGE performance cost).
News Comments > MS on Win10 App Openness
18. Re: MS on Win10 App Openness Mar 31, 2016, 07:12 HoSpanky
Tachikoma wrote on Mar 31, 2016, 04:39:
Microsoft was always a whipping boy of the geek world. Sure, they`re a big ole corporation with its big ole annoying corporate ways, but in fact weren`t really that bad up until the Win 10 arrived.

Now, yes, they`re catching up with the big boys. What`s surreal though is that the others - Apple, Google, Valve etc get a free pass despite being million times worse, but it`s okay since these are "cool" brands.

Yep. the same people on here bitching about how it's not "open" or whatever, and how Win10 is the devil, have an iphone or android in their pocket doing the EXACT same data mining Win10 does.
News Comments > ARK: Survival Evolved Updates
5. Re: ARK: Survival Evolved Updates Mar 28, 2016, 15:45 HoSpanky
I wouldn't say I REGRET buying it. I had a lot of fun with it on a private server. But they keep putting out updates that don't FIX issues. They're clearly in over their heads on the tech side. For the longest time they promised SLI, then ran into a small roadblock and abandoned that. This game is completely unplayable at 1440p, and is a muddy mess when run at 1080p on that same monitor.
Like every single Early Access survival game on Steam, it'll stay in EA for eternity as they screw around with adding more things to do in the game, while blatantly ignoring the performance/stability issues. Once sales and interest have dropped off to almost zero, they'l quietly release the current version as the "commercial release", and walk away from it. They've already moved their focus to a F2P arena game.

Maybe they're just dragging it out, hoping this next generation of video cards has enough muscle to get the game running acceptably and rely on brute force to get it going.
News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: HTC Mar 27, 2016, 13:08 HoSpanky
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 27, 2016, 13:04:
What you get, Vive

That's the picture they sent me in an email yesterday. Not sure if it means mine will be one of the first batch on the 5th or not, but it's the first email I've gotten since I ordered it and is headlined with "it's in the works!". Super vague.
News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Mar 26, 2016, 16:10 HoSpanky
It's not the screen that costs so much. That's actually a pretty cheap part of the system. If you think VR is just about the screen, you've been paying very little attention. They're 90-120hz panels, compared to the 60hz they tend to use for phones, but I don't think that's a big difference in cost there either. Nor is it expensive to have the two screens versus one. In the case of the Vive, the lighthouse sensors and motion controllers aren't cheap. You can say "but Google cardboard works just as well!" No. Holy shit, NO, it doesn't. The gyros in the phone do a weak approximation of your head movement, but it's not very exacting. We've all heard the phrase "the last 10% takes 90% of the effort". Getting it much, MUCH finer-tuned is where the cost comes in.

I'm sure the costs will come down, but probably not as fast as people might hope. I'm less interested in them bringing the costs down than setting a standard so you don't have to wonder if your headset will work with a specific game. By the second or third generation, that standard will exist or VR will die.
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 23, 2016, 18:02 HoSpanky
Cutter wrote on Mar 23, 2016, 11:54:
Why it doesn't matter? Spoken like someone with zero responsibilities or bills.

Spoken like someone who either has no clue how to budget or is making minimum wage. I make about double the minimum wage. I have a house in a super low-crime neighborhood, have an alright car, and due to planning ahead, can afford to pre-order a Vive. It didn't require any sacrifices or changes to my spending habits. I plan for a $1000 expense every 6 months. This is one of those (assuming I'm buying a couple titles specifically for it within the first month, using up the full thousand).

If you aren't very interested in the tech, then ok. But you clearly ARE, and saying you can't afford it, so you're angry. If you make less than I do, I can see how that's possible. If you make as much or more than I do, which is reasonably likely, then you made choices somewhere that keep you from having any play money. Did you buy a super nice car? Too bad, you don't get a VR headset...but enjoy the car! Did you have a kid or kids? Well you only exist to fund their lives now, and you made that choice.

Honestly the only excuse that isn't directly your own damn fault is if you're injured or have a lifelong disease that costs you everything you make. I'm so fucking tired of hearing this same line from you, Cutter. Stop blaming someone else for what you've done to yourself.
News Comments > TrackMania Turbo Release Trailer
1. Re: TrackMania Turbo Release Trailer Mar 22, 2016, 13:09 HoSpanky
Seems odd that there's a two day delay. Can't have had a thing to do with getting it working on PCs, that's usually a multiple week or month separation.

Not MAD, just curious as to why there's a two day split. I'm excited for this, and I have Thursday off work by lucky accident. Always found these games fun, if quirky. I'm expecting this one to have proper controller support, unlike the previous ones which would work with a controller one day and then completely ignore it the next, or only work with SOME buttons, or the axes are backwards...
News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: iPhone Mar 21, 2016, 11:53 HoSpanky
They don't mention if she was charging the phone when it burst into flames. Information like "she was using the plane's USB charging port or power outlet" would be useful, as they're notoriously problematic. Two of us ruined chargers in them on the way to Germany from using the ports on the plane.  
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 17, 2016, 16:00 HoSpanky
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 17, 2016, 13:48:
Yesterday there were links to the launch titles for both Vive and Rift. Along with theater mode which should make any game look like a big screen with the headset and other things in development. It seems like a fair enough start, back in the day... QuakeGL and it grew from that.

I have issues with the Theater mode for gaming. I think it'll work great for movies, Allowing 3D movies to look fan-fucking-tastic. But for gaming, no way. It'd work fine for something that uses very little of your system to run, but they show people using it for GTAV, which ALREADY struggles to run at a solid 60FPS on most machines. Adding in ANOTHER environment rendered outside the game, at 75 FPS, would murder performance. ALSO, any text in the game will be an unreadable mess due to the lowered resolution of the two screens, and the smaller space of those pixels that the ACTUAL GAME uses.
News Comments > BELOW This Summer; New Trailer
3. Re: BELOW This Summer; New Trailer Mar 17, 2016, 12:51 HoSpanky
No mention of co-op, which isn't a deal-breaker.

This is from the company that made a co-op online puzzle game with prettier art than you've ever seen in the genre, so I was kinda hoping to see some multiplayer here. But the artwork is interesting, and it doesn't appear to be another Diablo-type of game with dozens of enemies at once. I'm definitely going to be paying attention to this one.
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 17, 2016, 11:27 HoSpanky
The first article is right; everything we've really seen for the PC VR has been tech demos or very short experiences that appear to be little more than the VR equivalent of a lame mobile phone game. Elite: Dangerous and Project Cars are the only two "full games" for VR, and they already were full games before VR. Of those two, only E:D is announced for both Oculus and Vive.
I'm excited to get my headset, but I'm seriously concerned about longevity. The current listings of games are aimed more at showing it off than actually using it for a full adventure.
News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2016, 11:43 HoSpanky
nin wrote on Mar 16, 2016, 11:14:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 16, 2016, 11:12:
Answer: It all depends on how awesome or not your experience is. If you put it on and are immersed like never before and are in shock of how awesome it is. You open you wallet, that's how it all works. The difference here is immersion which is a big part of gaming. We'll see.

That's very much how we all got into 3d cards in the 90s. All it took was seeing something running in glide, and I was sold, cost be dammed...

Right. I've got that ONE friend who still thinks VR is "just another way to do 3D, and no one liked that". I'm betting he's going to have a very different opinion of it when he tries it. He'll probably immediately complain that the first games aren't anything more than something you play for 15 minutes and you're done.
News Comments > Battlezone Trailer Shows Campaign & VR
6. Re: Battlezone Trailer Shows Campaign & VR Mar 15, 2016, 07:39 HoSpanky
I'm just glad to see a VR game that claims to have a campaign. Aside from Elite:Dangerous, which isn't VR exclusive, all I've seen is stuff that looks like tech demos. Yes, we need short, interesting experiences to get people excited about the tech, but we also need something with more than 3 minutes' worth of stuff to do.

Also, yes, raw performance is a concern again, where it hasn't been for years. This is good news! It means developers will work toward having efficient code again.
News Comments > SteamVR Desktop Theater Testing
4. Re: SteamVR Desktop Theater Testing Mar 13, 2016, 16:41 HoSpanky
The Half Elf wrote on Mar 13, 2016, 16:38:
There was a Star Trek Enterprise D tech demo, and also a Voyager demo that was done for one of the headsets, which I would love to play with buut no way am I getting a headset in the next 10 years

ten years? In like, 3, the original Vives will be around $200 used.
1303 Comments. 66 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

Blue's News logo