Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1374 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Serious Sam VR Announced
7. Re: Serious Sam VR Announced Jun 13, 2016, 15:52 HoSpanky

Darks wrote on Jun 13, 2016, 14:50:
Jagacademy wrote on Jun 13, 2016, 13:13:
Seems like there are a lot of VR games coming out...how many people actually have VR units?

VR is seriously getting out of hand. I personally will not put some stupid VR device on my head and years from now wonder why my eyes are all fucked up like in the movie the Jerk.

And that looks lame as shit, floating weapons? Give me a fucking break!!

Yep, here we go, more people bitching about something they don't understand. The "floating guns" thing is becoming standard because unless people want to strap MORE shit to their arms, the game can't always properly guess your arm location, and IF IT IS WRONG, you will flip the fuck out as your brain tries to figure out why your arms are broken. Also, when you're playing, you DON'T NOTICE the guns are floating.

You and Cutter and everyone else on here who hates technology that's beyond what they can comprehend won't believe me, but whatever. Until you play around with it, you CANNOT understand why it's so incredible. You think that it's just a monitor on your face, and 3D, and so you think that sounds pretty lame and have written it off.

YES, it's true that most VR titles out right now are glorified tech demos. This is literally like having to start all over on game design. They're still working out First Person locomotion, as teleporting doesn't feel right and "sliding along" makes people sick. If someone is given enough visual cues, you can put them on a moving platform, but that again limits what kinds of games that can be done.

But then there are the things that we can do in VR that you CANNOT do on a monitor. You can have swordfights where you actually have to maneuver your sword around their armor, then go explore a dungeon where you may need to physically crouch to get under a swinging blade (Vanishing Realms). There's a bizarre gun fetishist game where reloading actually makes you eject your clip and physically insert a new one...and it doesn't approximate. You need to ACTUALLY get the clip into the gun, not just get it neat the socket (Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades). Shooting gallery games make a lot of sense in VR, so you'll see there are a lot of them popping up.

Also, VR is where "walking simulators" can thrive, as just being in a new environment is thrilling in VR. Sure, you can't slide along without being sick, but teleporting doesn't feel "cheap" in exploration games. You simply point to where you want to look around, click and you're there. If there's no combat, it simply takes the wasted time of moving over there out of it.

Ripping on VR without having tried it makes you just sound bitter. You will compare it to failed technology, because you can't understand why it's so much better than what you have. You're the horse rider, telling everyone the automobile is crap.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Division Perma-Bans
10. Re: The Division Perma-Bans Jun 10, 2016, 09:06 HoSpanky

So, here's what I saw happen:

Weaksauce temp bans happen for months.

Blizzard comes out and immediately drops perma-bans for Overwatch. The community loves it.

Ubisoft now brings permabans for sorta-recent games, believing they'll get the same response.

Unfortunately, they didn't do it right out the gate, so the games have been abandoned by all BUT the cheaters. So they'll kill what little community these games had left.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 9, 2016, 19:03 HoSpanky

I went from two 970s down to just one, the other was fed to the VR machine. Fewer and fewer games support SLI properly, I found that I was running single-card for nearly everything I played, except for games that really saw no real benefit anyway, like WoW. In fact, while my max FPS in wow went down after removing the card, the minimum framerate in the Kazz fight went up by about 20. no more SLI for me, unless developers suddenly start supporting it in EVERYTHING. If I upgrade, a single 1070 will do the job just fine.  

News Comments > Trackmania Turbo Demo
3. Re: Trackmania Turbo Demo Jun 8, 2016, 18:40 HoSpanky

I picked it up because I had Canyon, but not the others. Graphically, it's about the same as Canyon and the other TM2 pieces. The biggest change is the menus. They mostly make sense now, and controller support is finally RIGHT. You lose some of the wackier bits, like the custom soundtracks and car paint jobs, but I never really cared much about that.

So, in the end, it lost some of the crazy that people loved, but gained in accessibility.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2016, 10:58 HoSpanky

descender wrote on Jun 6, 2016, 10:32:
I could watch Ian McShane deliver monologues all goddamn day... and he was totally shown up in "his episode" by a 10 year old girl.

Sorry, a 10 year old BEAR BEAST WOMAN who is not to be trifled with. :p

Yeah, the little girl was the best part of that episode. Looks like she may not be a one-episode character, either, as she showed up for a moment near the end.

1. Sad state of SLI Jun 6, 2016, 10:36 HoSpanky

Aaaand that's why I won't be buying a midrange card anymore. I've loved my SLI setups, but clearly no one bothers to support it anymore. It was pretty much assumed SLI would work when every ting was dx9, but with each new version since, SLI support has gotten worse and worse, and now doesn't exist at all in dx12.

I split my dual-970 setup to get a separate rig for VR, and I don't think I'll be going back. Especially after buying a g-sync monitor, which hides frame drop incredibly well. The new Wolfenstein game ran really poorly at 1080p with SLI (actually it ignored one card, as most newer games do). The monitor I got is 1440p, and Wolfie runs like butter on it, same video card.

So really, buying a hefty single card and a g-sync or freesync monitor is the only way to go now. SLI is dead, even for VR. If Nvidia's new cards can actually render "the second eye free", what would be the point of VR SLI? I imagine devs will focus on that single-card function more than the smaller install base of dual-card.

News Comments > WoW Increasing Draw Distances
14. Re: WoW Increasing Draw Distances Jun 6, 2016, 08:55 HoSpanky

Huh, for once I might actually have to set mine to lower-than-max. We'll see. The current draw distance is already pretty good.

As for detail up close, Blizzard's always been great at making things look good with a sub-par poly count. The unfortunate part is when 10 year old assets are still used right next to current ones, and the difference is painfully obvious. This is especially noticeable if you do any of the pet battles, and you pull out a squirrel or a groundhog.

News Comments > ARK: Survival Evolved Turns One, Adds Content
6. Re: ARK: Survival Evolved Turns One, Adds Content Jun 2, 2016, 15:45 HoSpanky

They keep adding content but the game runs like a fucking pig. I don't give a flying fuck how many dinosaurs they add when you can't even have the clouds going without losing 40fps.  

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jun 2, 2016, 13:46 HoSpanky

Two OR exclusives announced today. Oculus has GOT to be offering quite a payday to compensate for the loss of a larger audience. Also this is only good for them in the short term, as the cost of eternal exclusivity would have to be pretty damn high. Devs can't be blind to Oculus' fulfillment problems, and people without a VR headset are people who aren't buying games.

I'm also annoyed with Valve for CLEARLY tossing a piece of hardware out with only the assumption that people will develop for it. HTC has ponied up $100m, supposedly, for development. Zero mention of where any of that has gone.

News Comments > Obduction Next Month
1. Re: Obduction Next Month Jun 2, 2016, 10:18 HoSpanky

How on earth is Valve allowing full titles to launch on Steam that have Rift support, and not Vive? I don't expect room-scale, but with the Vive having VERY few "full" games, you'd think they'd kind of demand equal Vive support if they want to sell their game on Steam.

Clearly, Oculus is playing a one sided game on this. Valve could very, VERY quickly stop the Rift dead by forcing any Steam VR game to run on Vive, and block the rift (as oculus is doing to the Vive on their store).

It's depressing. The Vive is crazy cool technology, but so far only Vanishing Realms has shown any sort of long-game aspirations. And it's really not an innovative game at all, it's got GameCube-era artwork and simplified interactions. But god dammit, it's crazy fun. Even with its tame/broken AI, NOTHING matches it. Being in a sword fight with a skeleton, parrying his attack, then holding up your shield and seeing the archer's arrow you just blocked sticking through the wood, then turning back to stab the skeleton in the face, just over the edge of the shield he's hiding behind....holy fuck, it's incredible. You don't care that the enemies are Unity Store assets. You don't care that you can technically warp around, cheating the simple-minded AI out of a hit. You don't care that the weapon choices are VERY slim. What you DO care about is that the game is only about an hour and a half long, and it leaves you desperate for more of it to adventure through.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 2, 2016, 08:23 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 22:15:
And that's a sensible and logical assessment of VR.

It's a sensible and logical assessment of ROOM SCALE VR. Standing/sitting VR is definitely more feasable, and most "room scale" games can be played from one spot anyway.
Prices will come down, but people won't generally find a new room in their house to set up in. I'm set up in the garage, which is...not ideal. It probably won't stay there in the long run. I started fiddling around with Unity, but it's annoying as hell to constantly run back and forth to test things out.

News Comments > Steam Controller Report
1. Re: Steam Controller Report Jun 2, 2016, 07:57 HoSpanky

GameStop has them down to $35. A friend of mine picked one up and the guy at the counter said that's the first one they've ever sold.  

News Comments > Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games
3. Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games Jun 1, 2016, 15:14 HoSpanky

Wish it'd work the other way around, so I could put my GoG version of Witcher 3 on Steam. I have friends who would probably buy it if they could borrow it (via family sharing), but if I gave them a completely DRM free copy they probably would just use that and never actually buy the game. And while some games don't deserve that treatment, W3 absolutely does.  

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 1, 2016, 13:39 HoSpanky

I really do hope AMD isn't just cherry-picking its benchmarks, even though it certainly appears they are. Nvidia NEEDS some real competition from them, even if it's not on the super top-end. I'm not going to be buying an AMD card, but Nvidia can't be left alone in the field.

News Comments > Minecraft Advertising Crackdown
1. Re: Minecraft Advertising Crackdown May 31, 2016, 21:49 HoSpanky

And here I thought this meant a Microsoft product was going to be advertising Crackdown 3, also a Microsoft product.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
10. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 30, 2016, 01:38 HoSpanky

DangerDog wrote on May 29, 2016, 18:38:
Version 2 of the VR headsets with 4k UHD Display, worth waiting for.

The second generation of VR headsets won't be 4K. Even the 1080 won't pull that off. MAYBE if VR SLI becomes a thing properly, but:

If the 1080s render the second eye "free", what's VR SLI going to do that they don't already? Can't do AFR, that's already been proven.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Turning One
4. Re: Heroes of the Storm Turning One May 27, 2016, 22:59 HoSpanky

There'll likely be SOME goodies for free.

I still like this game because of the Team Levelling mechanic. You can try a new character and not completely drag the team down. Tonight a friend and I had the same two quests...Starcraft and support. We took Tassadar and Morales. A stimmed Archon is 10 seconds of glorious, unstoppable demolition. Not QUITE as fun as stimming a Thor, but a close second.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. May 27, 2016, 16:36 HoSpanky

The only reason I think they should offer pre-Cata gameplay is so people could go around the areas BEFORE death wing demolished them. I wouldn't care if it was a massive cave of time that let you wander both continents in their original form.  

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 27, 2016, 13:00 HoSpanky

Dagnamit wrote on May 27, 2016, 10:35:
Overwatch numbers are interesting. Looks like the game will take as much power as you can throw at it, from a CPU standpoint. Yuuuuge jump when moving to 8 threads. Of course, Blizz games have always scaled unbelievably well. Means I'm probably getting due for a full rebuild, with this and the low level API's coming up soon. My i5 3570k has served me well for 4 years now, but it might need to be benched.

Well their testing method is a little broken, don't bank too much on those CPU tests, unless you plan on playing the game solo with a bunch of bots.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Delayed?
9. Re: No Man's Sky Delayed? May 26, 2016, 11:49 HoSpanky

HorrorScope wrote on May 26, 2016, 10:53:
What's peoples thoughts on Empyrion? It seems to be an epic scale with a lot more to do, from travel to planets all the way down to fighting in dungeon levels on each, crafting, survival, etc. A game that gets no pub vs another game that for some reason just gets all the pub, hasn't released, hasn't shown a lot to do.

It gets no publicity because Early Access survive-n-build games are ALL still in Early Access, no matter how long they've been around. Show me ONE that's made it to a "full release". I'm done buying games that aren't even halfway through development, only for the dev to decide they made their money from me already so why bother doing any more work.

1374 Comments. 69 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo