Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1886 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Nexon Cutting LawBreakers Losses; Blames PUBG
23. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 14:08 HoSpanky

Not gonna quote previous people because it’s a pain to edit down on a phone, but:

Beamer, Overwatch is a bit overhyped, but it’s a rock solid team shooter. Each character plays quite differently, and are absolutely designed to compliment each other. The gifs you see that are supposedly sneaky things are usually someone pulling off a kill their character had no right to succeed at. I don’t play it very often, but when I get in there with my friends, it’s tons of fun.

As for Lawbreakers...it just doesn’t have anything in the ads on Steam that makes me say “oh shit I have to have that!”. Overwatch has ads like that. One of my favorite games this year has a more compelling ad than Lawbreakers (x-morph defense), and it’s a tiny indie game. Lawbreakers’ awful sellthru is an unfortunate mix of poor timing, advertising, and visual design. Ten years ago, I’d have been ALL ABOUT a game like that. But I can get a pretty decent near-identical looking shooter on Epic’s launcher in the new UT. It looks JUST as generic, but it’s free and pretty damn solid.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > PUBG Passes 3M CCUs
12. Re: PUBG Passes 3M CCUs Dec 29, 2017, 15:46 HoSpanky

How many of these players would immediately disappear if they couldn’t sell items outside of their country?

I’m quite sure the game isn’t $30 in China. So farmers buy cheap accounts, selling loot to Americans. As long as they get more for that sold loot than the account cost them, they don’t care if it gets banned. If they couldn’t sell outside of China, would the cheating drop? Playercount most certainly would. How much of Bluehole’s income is from transaction fees on those item sales?

It’s a system that benefits the developer, and as long as they keep saying “look at all the bans!”, players will believe that the company takes the cheating seriously. But from all accounts, it seems the cheating benefits the developer...why would they take a HARD look at how to stop it?

This is not unique to PUBG, which is why CS:GO is almost always in the top seller list.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 27, 2017, 10:15 HoSpanky

The man announces his plans WAY too far in advance.

I assume the next two models will be called “M” and “F”, if he plans on continuing his absurd (and a bit amusing) naming scheme.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 26, 2017, 16:14 HoSpanky

Vio wrote on Dec 26, 2017, 12:05:
Why is my computer so slow?! The unnecessary gaming graphics settings you should sacrifice.
What a crap article they make all these claims and have a screenshot made for ants so you can compare pffft.

I agree, this article is basically “maybe you shouldn’t set your games to Ultra if your gaming machine isn’t also Ultra”.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Dec 25, 2017, 12:42 HoSpanky

Looks like more of a game than an awful lot of recent Indie games. The visuals are...really quite impressive for 8 weeks of development. By students!  

News Comments > Play Star Trek Bridge Crew Without VR
3. Re: Play Star Trek Bridge Crew Without VR Dec 22, 2017, 12:43 HoSpanky

Prez wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 12:22:
The problem for me with Bridge Crew isn't that it required VR. It's that I don't have a group of friends to play with. And playing with randos can be such a soul-crushing experience. A VR remake of the awesome Bridge Commander on the other hand... I would have been all over that.

Right? I mean, up until very recently I had ONE friend with a VR kit. NOW, I’ve got 3 friends with them...full crew! We may all snag this during the steam sale.

News Comments > PUBG Launches
13. Re: PUBG Launches Dec 21, 2017, 15:20 HoSpanky

Jagacademy wrote on Dec 21, 2017, 14:32:
My first impression of this game was terrible, I refunded it within an hour.

I'm still not exactly sure why, probably because I figured I was missing something, I decided to buy it again for another shot. For the first 50-100 hours, I still hated it. I didn't like the mechanics, kept dying to what I thought was bs, couldn't understand why I wasn't good at it, etc.

1,000 hours later, it's my 3rd most played game on Steam, and I love it.

Sounds like you probably were an easy target for tobacco companies. “This thing is awful, and has literally no upside to it, but do it enough and you won’t be able to go without it!” “OK!”

News Comments > Get Kingdom: Classic for Free
7. Re: Get Kingdom: Classic for Free Dec 20, 2017, 16:59 HoSpanky

Rollover time for Steam is usually 1pm, which is around when the comments went from “I grabbed this” to “it’s not free now”.

I figured that if it’s a one day thing on Steam, that’s when it’d end so I snagged it immediately thru the app.

News Comments > Unannounced Blizzard First-Person Game Features Vehicles
17. Re: etc. Dec 19, 2017, 16:43 HoSpanky

deqer wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 15:07:
What happened to Blur?

It was trash? Actually the game ITSELF was decently fun, but oh boy did it look dated the instant it came out. I picked it up for super duper cheap like 3 months after it came out. Had fun for a little while.

I’d be excited for a vehicle-heavy game from Blizzard. They may currently be busy copying popular game types, but they ALWAYS have top notch quality in their titles.

If you want a spectacular simcade racer, pick up Forza Horizon 3 and the Hot Wheels expansion. Yes it’s win10/Windows store only, and IF you have an AMD card, forget I mentioned the game at all and go about your business. Otherwise, try the demo and then head to eBay; the game + expansion can be had for about $35.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 11, 2017, 23:08 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Dec 11, 2017, 15:24:
So what? You still won't see auton vehicles on the road in significant numbers for decades - not years, decades - to come. Why don't you try to make some affordable for everyone mass-produced electric vehicles, Elon. Everything else you're spouting is just so much nonsense.

Automated PERSONAL vehicles...no. Automated SHIPMENT vehicles? That's the GOAL. Making automated trucks that can follow a route back and forth is WAY easier than making automated taxis. And at least in America, ordering online is THE way to shop anymore. Even if just the trucks back and forth between major hubs can be automated, that's a huge financial gain.

So far, autonomous vehicles have only gotten into accidents due to stupid humans, NOT due to their own actions (AFAIK). The technology is already surprisingly reliable.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag Giveaway Underway
3. Re: Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag Giveaway Underway Dec 11, 2017, 20:46 HoSpanky

Yep. Fantastic fun once you get the ship. It's a couple hours in, but HOO BOY, it's good. The sorta-sequel, AC: Rogue is uglier and buggier, don't bother.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 11, 2017, 13:57 HoSpanky

Welp, Ready Player One's trailer makes it look fantastic. I'm more excited about it than The Last Jedi.  

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 11, 2017, 12:26 HoSpanky

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 11, 2017, 12:19:
Assuming gamer:
8 a solid recommended minimum.
16 handles additional overheads many will use.
32 specific needs territory.
End.

This, at LEAST until the next generation of consoles comes out with a LOT more ram.
I have 16gb, and I've turned my page file off. Yes, that causes some weirdness, but I'm on SSD and I really am not trying to kill these drives any sooner than I have to. Point is, I've never ran out of ram unless I tab out of a game and start up ANOTHER game. *THEN*, I usually run out of memory and one or both shuts down.

I'm using an 8gb 1080, and my monitor is 1440p.

News Comments > MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Co-op & Steam Workshop Support Announced
3. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Co-op & Steam Workshop Support Announced Dec 10, 2017, 14:31 HoSpanky

Overon wrote on Dec 10, 2017, 14:12:
Piranha is not a top tier developer. They will micro transaction the shit out of this just like they did with Mechwarrior Online.

The game looks...well, godawful in the visuals department. We're talking about Original Xbox-era graphics. I don't care if a game is low budget and they can use an art style to cover it up, but here....this is horrible looking.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
4. Re: New GeForce Drivers Dec 9, 2017, 13:33 HoSpanky

Asmodai wrote on Dec 9, 2017, 10:52:
Yay, finally graphic options for exotic resolutions which they haven't bothered with since Fallout 3 came out...

Surround or 21:9 users have been stuck with WSGF hacks and mods galore for years but VR, shit yeah.

Fucking dickheads...

This...is a completely different game from regular fallout 4. I’d be surprised if it worked OUTSIDE VR.

I imagine they stopped supporting odd resolutions because those users are few and far between. I used to be angry about how games stopped supporting SLI, but the reality is, there aren’t enough people using it to bother coding anything specific for it. Pick a game, any game, and it’ll have something that doesn’t work with SOMEONE’s choice of hardware. This is the inherent downside to having infinitely configurable systems. If you insist on stepping outside “the usual” choices, you have to accept that you will not be a priority.

News Comments > Fortnite 50v50 Playlist Launches
6. Re: Fortnite 50v50 Playlist Launches Dec 8, 2017, 12:56 HoSpanky

Muscular Beaver wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 12:41:
I think the whole game is made to troll PC players. They even have to play against autoaim console/controller players.
I mean the game is really nice, but the controls are just so unbelievably sluggish, inaccurate, delayed... just weird. It just feels like a full blown console game without any effort put into the PC version.

It doesn't feel like that to me, the menu system in particular seems console UN-friendly. I don't notice any delay or sluggishness....inaccuracy is just down to weapon type/rolls. Keep in mind, I DO NOT play Battle Royale, only Save The World, which are completely different animals. STW is drastically visually superior, to the point that it feels like the sequel to BR. It's mostly due to lighting/fog effects that aren't present in BR...character/weapon/landscape models appear to be the same.

News Comments > Fortnite 50v50 Playlist Launches
1. Re: Fortnite 50v50 Playlist Launches Dec 8, 2017, 11:20 HoSpanky

Due to popular demand, the hitching and second-long lags in PVE have been reintroduced. That super great feeling of missing headshots due to the game becoming unresponsive for quarter-second sections of time is back! Epic felt that their customers were making too many accurate shots or wall placements after "the smoothness" patch, and has brought back this unpredictable "feature". They've also added random disconnects from matches, and CTDs that haven't been around for a long time. Also, placing a trap may also place a random wall segment, often right in the path you intended to leave open!

Also, to address the annoying leeches who join matches and do nothing the entire time (but still get rewards at the end), Epic has introduced a feature called "you can't see your teammates on the map anymore". This will keep you from noticing who doesn't move for an entire match, lowering your personal frustration. Also, required objectives will occasionally not show up on the map anymore, making time-constrained matches even MORE exhilarating!

So many new fun additions!

News Comments > Ubisoft Delays Far Cry 5, The Crew 2, and a Third Game
4. Re: Ubisoft Delays Far Cry 5, The Crew 2, and a Third Game Dec 7, 2017, 22:47 HoSpanky

I winder if the Crew 2 will actually stream properly instead of being a stuttering mess, despite the mediocre graphics.

I bought the first game for under $7, and it was crap. Thankfully, Forza Horizon 3 came out and armored all over that trash.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 7, 2017, 14:06 HoSpanky

Creston wrote on Dec 7, 2017, 13:31:
ForgedReality wrote on Dec 7, 2017, 12:32:
Sorry, but when has Intel or nVidia ever done anything like this?

I meant more in general just doing shitty business practices, though Nvidia did almost the same thing with the GTX970, albeit slightly less blatant.

For Intel, the most blatant thing I can think of off the top of my head that they've been doing recently is putting birdshit TIM in their absurdly expensive processors, all so they can save like 8 cents per die. In the meantime, your temps go up by 20 degrees and your processor probably shortens its lifetime by a few years.

I think Intel is doing this so they have headroom to introduce “faster processors” by simply putting better TIM in.

The 970 issue at least happens on every single 970 made, not just some models that showed up well after all reviews were put out. The rx560 with the slower parts is literally a rebranded 460, because people may want to buy cheap but they want THIS year’s model. Dirty inventory clearing trick.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 7, 2017, 09:44 HoSpanky

Well, next time I’m in the market for a video card, I’ll definitely consider MSI’s version. I don’t like the red (my entire rig is black and white), but volume is definitely a consideration. My rig sits on the desk, with the side panel removed. That helps keep it cool and quiet in most situations, but a few games push it pretty hard and it’ll get a little noisy. My MAIN noisemaker is unfortunately the fans/pump on my waterblock. Now that Noctua makes black fans, I’m replacing it with an air cooler.  

1886 Comments. 95 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo