Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1335 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2016, 12:02 HoSpanky

Horrorscope, that'd be great if it made the cost of entry for the processor lower (by being able to run an i5). Some games ran fine with the i5, honestly, but the ones with hefty physics interactions were the ones that struggled. Those hit the CPU, which is already tasked with keeping track of where the controllers and headset are. The load on the CPU is pretty astounding, and VR is the only place I've seen the CPU have much of anything to do with game performance for a LONG time.

I'm sure game programmers will get better at making their games run better, too. A lot of the launch titles are inefficient as fuck, built to make it out the door by launch day.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2016, 11:06 HoSpanky

I just had the "joy" of building a rig capable of running Vive VR properly, and here's what I found:

Processor: I7. ABSOLUTE MUST. Tried to put a 3.5ghz i5 in there, games dropped frames. 4 ghz i7 and nothing stutters except load screens (which isn't really surprising). It's running on a Noctua air cooler, and is pretty quiet!

Ram: 1333 to 1866 made zero noticeable change. That's DDR3, I stuck with slightly older architecture for cost and compatibility reasons (had another machine I had to steal the i7 from). My main rig is now the home of the i5 "failure" processor.

Hard Drives: Samsung 850 SSDs. Dead silent and quite reliable.

Motherboard: I went MSI, but if you plan on getting a Vive, keep in mind that USB3 ports on some boards freak it out, andyou'll NEED to run it on USB2 in that case, so try to find a board that somehow still has the option for USB2. Also if you buy Asus, DO NOT install AISuite, it tries to accelerate the USB ports and causes your processor's first core to max out at all times (and causes severe in-game stutter). This is a widely documented issue.

Video Card: Obviously, hold out for the 1080 or 1070. I'm running a 970 and it can struggle pretty hard in some games (This is VR-only). Elite Dangerous is IMPOSSIBLE to play on it. SLI is dead for "normal" games, and there's no guarantee it's going to happen for VR yet either.

Also, I'm 90% sure you HAVE to be running windows 10 for the Rift, and it's not a bad move for the Vive either. I don't quite understand nin's hatred of it. Smoothest new OS install I've ever dealt with, very few crashes. All the metrics reporting? Surprise, that's all in win7 and 8 now if you want updates anymore.

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews May 10, 2016, 13:22 HoSpanky

El Pit wrote on May 10, 2016, 11:08:
Yes, VR is ruling the gaming world and here to stay. Laugh2

It'd help if AAA Dev houses hadn't waited to see if the headsets would sell, but they did wait, so now they're probably only in the planning stages of making full games for them. The headsets are actually better than I expected, but I will agree that there's an unfortunate lack of full titles for them. Games like Elite Dangerous run, but struggle at the Low settings on a 970. Hoping the 1080 has the muscle to get "normal" games running at reasonable detail and framerates.

News Comments > Car Mechanic Simulator 2015 Performance DLC
1. Re: Car Mechanic Simulator 2015 Performance DLC May 10, 2016, 07:53 HoSpanky

Like they show in Job Simulator, this game RIGHT HERE is almost perfect for playing on a Vive. Actively moving around in a small space and moving things around that definitely could use two independent controllers. Might needs to incorporate teleporting for smaller play areas.

The only downside is that people absolutely would fall on their face when trying to lean on the car to reach something in the back.

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine This Month?
12. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine This Month? May 9, 2016, 19:42 HoSpanky

Red wrote on May 9, 2016, 17:50:
To those of you who've played through Witcher 3, what makes it so awesome? Story? Exploration? Puzzles? Combat? Crafting?

I ask because I have it for PS4 and tried to play it, but I personally couldn't stand the combat mechanics. It made me not want to play. I was considering changing it to the easiest difficulty so that I could try the game without worrying about mastering the combat, but is the game worthwhile and fun enough to warrant going through in easy mode?

I think you might make the game slightly shorter and your upgrades won't feel particularly useful as you'll already be a badass, but if you want to see some surprising stories get shaped by your decisions, play it on easy. Like I said, I'm only halfway through and I've played for easily 50 hours. So Easy Mode won't make it an 8-hour jaunt. If you hate the combat, glide through it, who's judging you? Just make sure you get through the starting area before giving up, it's fairly dull story-wise and serves mostly as an overlong tutorial.

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine This Month?
3. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine This Month? May 9, 2016, 11:31 HoSpanky

I'm currently at the "halfway point". I intend to pick up both expansions, but only once I actually manage to finish the base game.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
7. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 8, 2016, 13:33 HoSpanky

El Pit wrote on May 8, 2016, 11:27:
Slick wrote on May 8, 2016, 11:10:
-says the guy who's obviously never put one on.

The success of VR does not depend one ME, but VR products (hardware and software) being availabe at a price that the consumer desires and accepts. And that is why the hype stopped just seconds after it has begun.

I do not hate VR, but except for fanatics everyone could see that it is a niche market. But I am sure the next big thing is luring just around the corner after 3D and VR.

Both headsets are still on wait lists, your argument that people aren't willing to buy them is clearly invalid. And that's from people who are buying sight unseen. I've had people come try it out who refuse to spent more than $5 on a game, and now they're pestering me about putting together their own VR rig. You are SERIOUSLY discounting the experience it provides. It's the difference of seeing pictures of the Eiffel Tower versus actually BEING THERE.

Motorcycles are a "niche market", and yet they somehow manage to turn a profit. They have zero legitimate use over a car, so according to your logic they shouldn't survive. The experience they provide is indescribably different from driving a car, and can't be conveyed properly in words. A VR headset and an overpowered rig to run it is cheaper, brand new, than even the shittiest new motorcycle purchasable. I really don't understand the Price Complaint.

1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 7, 2016, 09:15 HoSpanky

This guy is a moron. He claims AR will trump VR, for pricing and mobility reasons, then shows you Google Glass. Yep, the original one. The one that looks and functions like absolute shit, while claiming it's capable of rendering just as impressively OR BETTER than a Vive or Rift.

Honestly sounds like he's got stock in Google Glass and Hololens. Because people LOVE their games being compromised by their surroundings!

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Ban Wave Catches Pros
5. Re: Team Fortress 2 Ban Wave Catches Pros Apr 30, 2016, 15:22 HoSpanky

I have a friend who wonders why I don't play against other people anymore. This is exactly why. I've grown older, I don't have the time to get REALLY good at a game, and you can't trust these shitheads anyway. I DO still play HOTS against real people, I've not seen anything that was questionable in there. But I don't have the reaction time for first person shooters.

Except Space Pirate Trainer, and that's as first-person-y as it gets. There nothing to the game yet but god damn it's fun as hell. Loads fast, zero bullshit logo screens, just straight to the menu and pop you're in.

News Comments > The Climb Ascends
1. Re: The Climb Ascends Apr 29, 2016, 11:53 HoSpanky

Amusingly, this game looks designed for motion controls and it's an exclusive to the VR system WITHOUT them. I'm pretty sure they'll have a version for the Vive as soon as the exclusivity contract runs out.  

News Comments > CoD4 Remaster Poop
1. Re: CoD4 Remaster Poop Apr 28, 2016, 22:34 HoSpanky

So, they should absolutely expect a completely disgusting photo from the original poster as a response.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2016, 11:53 HoSpanky

Congrats, and enjoy your evening!  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 25, 2016, 20:54 HoSpanky

My Vive showed up today. Gave me fits getting it set up on my secondary machine. Long story short, just because the valve test says your system cuts it...don't get TOO close to that line. I was on a 3.6 ghz AMD chip, it does NOT do the job. Switched to my main rig, which has my other 970 (I killed my SLI for the second machine). The only difference is a newer mobo and a 4ghz i7. Butter smooth.

VR eats a LOT of CPU time. Be prepared.

Also, The Lab is currently the best thing to show your friends on it so far. It's graphically MILES above everything else, and looks utterly convincing in some areas. And it's free!

I only have a 2.2m X 2.7m area to play in, and the Chaperone pops up a LOT. It's unfortunate, and I wish there was a way to lower the distance it reacts at. Yes, it's somewhat low-Rez, but nowhere near as bad as I assumed it was going to be. Peripheral vision is unfortunately blurry, but you get used to looking straight ahead.

All in all, I'm thrilled with it, aside from not running right on my intended rig for it.

News Comments > Rocket League Free Weekend
6. Re: Rocket League Free Weekend Apr 22, 2016, 13:49 HoSpanky

If you've got friends who have it, this game is a riot.  

News Comments > Don't Starve Together Released
2. Re: Don't Starve Together Released Apr 21, 2016, 22:15 HoSpanky

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 21, 2016, 20:27:
Cannibalism?

I don't recall if that's an option. Probably. This post basically reminded me that the game exists, prolly play it tomorrow with the gf. She's played the base game quite a bit and I'm 99% helpless still, we'd manage maybe 3 or 4 nights max, usually with me dying super early and her wasting way too much time trying to resurrect me.

I don't see random online play resorting straight to murdering each other, but it's entirely possible one person will accidentally piss off some demon dogs that then chase them back to camp and tear everyone apart in seconds.

I've never done that.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 20, 2016, 16:00 HoSpanky

Seriously, this guy went the WRONG direction with this. I'd MAYBE understand if someone had said "I'm suicidal and you're my only hope" (to a streamer), but saying he was part of him NOT killing himself should have only been met with a "Oh wow, thanks! I had no idea anything I did had that level of effect on anyone!".

Unfortunately, people abuse "depression" more than people abuse the word "rape", and have made it something no one cares about because everyone claims to have it. I personally don't understand it, but I imagine it's like the days I just can't bother to give a shit, but the part 10 minutes later where I realize I have to nut up and be an adult never happens.

Some days I wonder if all these depressed people were coddled through their 'teens by their parents, and when reality was finally allowed to come knocking, they're terrified to answer.

In any case, that guy did the wrong thing, and went all-in on his very wrong decision. And it actually bit him in the ass, so that happened.

News Comments > Battlezone 98 Redux Released
2. Re: Battlezone 98 Redux Released Apr 18, 2016, 22:17 HoSpanky

Hrm...at the asking price of $20, the "graphical upgrade" looks VERY minimal. All the units are still super low-poly, and the textures are a minor improvement. It looks like maybe there's a little difference in the lighting engine.

I loved Battlezone. But this feels like they did a minor upgrade, added Steam Workshop support, and assume someone else will do the heavy visual makeover.

News Comments > DOOM Open Beta Extended
28. Re: DOOM Open Beta Extended Apr 18, 2016, 09:08 HoSpanky

I couldn't get past the smeary look of the game. Like it was rendered at 480p and up scaled to 1440p. I'm betting it's largely the shitty AA they force you to use, but there's no way to turn it off to check. You literally cannot get a good look at anything in the game, it's all slightly out of focus.  

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Apr 17, 2016, 14:03 HoSpanky

So, the article is St. John saying "you should totally stop complaining that you're working insane hours, and not getting paid overtime for it, or anything at all, for that matter."

You should just be happy that you can make games, whether or not you like the game you're making or if you can afford to live.

4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Apr 16, 2016, 22:14 HoSpanky

Pigeon wrote on Apr 16, 2016, 13:54:
Fantaz wrote on Apr 16, 2016, 13:50:
it would probably be silly to buy a new video card at this point now with the new ones coming out really soon (Pascal, etc.)

Even if you don't care about having the latest tech, once pascal comes out there will likely be some deep discounts on the 970 and 980(ti).

It never seems like it's nearly as good of a discount as you'd expect, which is what they're going for...they want you to buy the newest cards.

1335 Comments. 67 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo