Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1653 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Released
30. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Released Mar 7, 2017, 21:33 HoSpanky

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 19:31:
HoSpanky wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 17:58:
Has anyone been running hardware monitors while playing this? The questionable performance may be CPU limited, which would explain a 1080 and a 980 running about the same.

wat??

Check out the Evening Tech Bits link for this article at TechPowerUp. Matches my observations with a GTX 1080 exactly. Roundabout 50fps at 1440p all maxed out to the brim.
It also shows that the game is GPU limited, of course. GTX 980 and 1080 aren't even in the same ballpark. Whoever is claiming something silly as that probably doesn't know what the fuck they are doing or how to even access the graphics options or something like that. The game scales very nicely the fatter the graphics card.

Holy shit, CJ said something that wasn't bashing the game, included a link to proof of his argument.

The world ends tonight, possibly.
Although it'd take Luke posting something positive, without the clown emoji, to convince me it was the end of the world.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Released
20. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Released Mar 7, 2017, 17:58 HoSpanky

Has anyone been running hardware monitors while playing this? The questionable performance may be CPU limited, which would explain a 1080 and a 980 running about the same.

I'm on a 1080, the beta ran silky smooth with everything on max except I think shadows, but I also have a g-sync monitor which makes lowered framerate far less obvious. Lately, framerate limitations in games have been entirely due to one of my CPU cores being maxed out. Game devs still don't seem to have a good way to deal with multiple cores efficiently, one of them is usually at 100% while the others dawdle along at 60 or less.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2017, 12:57 HoSpanky

descender wrote on Mar 6, 2017, 12:19:
The best part about ambiguous religious texts is that you literally get to choose when and where they apply, and if you were wrong... then you only misinterpreted it! That one didn't apply to any plagues or diseases prior to 1914? How convenient!

It would be great if you stopped trying to push your half-assed bible study on us as "fact". No one here is asking for it, and I'm certain you could find a more receptive audience for it elsewhere.

I do love how people act like one book, written by the rich to keep the poor from raiding them, is used like some cryptic predictor. The Bible is a set of Aesop's Fables, written in waves and clearly changing with popular opinion at the times of additions. It no doubt has an extensive pile of generally good life lessons, and also favorably mentions plenty of ridiculously outdated and barbaric practices. It's unbelievable how many people believe in something that has no proof of existence, like god, and yet blatantly ignore scientific proof of things like global warming. But hey, there are still people living in developed countries who honestly believe the earth is flat.

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
1. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Mar 6, 2017, 10:17 HoSpanky

Horizon Zero Dawn earns that top spot pretty handily. It's clearly a labor of love, with a surprisingly non-sexualized female main character, a LONG introductory section that makes you give a shit about the characters involved, and has a solid premise for what you go about doing. I'm maybe a bit over half done with the game, just in terms of area discovered. The difficulty in fighting the various monsters is intimidating even on Normal difficulty, requiring you to prepare ahead of time and often retreat when your plans go very wrong. It's not worth buying a PS4 JUST to play it. but if you were even SORT of considering one, it adds a lot of weight to that decision.  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Mar 5, 2017, 15:40 HoSpanky

This is a bit worrying for beercades. We have one downtown here called Tappers, it's pretty great. They'll probably have to start replacing the tubes with LCDs, and some of the games (specifically the X-men arcade game) may have some unsolvable issues. The xmen game uses two CRTs, one larger and mounted down inside the machine, reflected up next to the other, to get a super widescreen image. I'm not sure if the game code would actually WORK on a superwide LCD. It's one of their most popular games, as it's the rare 6-player version. Hopefully someone will see this problem coming and develop a solution before it's impossibly expensive.

Beercades are fucking great, but I do worry about their power bill. Despite the lack of authenticity, a machine running on a raspberry pi and on an LCD would cost SO much less to keep running. If they power them down overnight most lose their high scores table. I don't want to lose my ridiculously high score on Pengu! Seeing people say "how the fuck did you get 42,000, I can't get more than 400!" Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. The closest I've seen anyone get is 7200.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
5. Re: Hidden message Mar 5, 2017, 15:05 HoSpanky

It's not coated in rat poison. It's coated in a deterrent that is ALSO used in rat poison and puppy/kitten deterrents.

My question is, does it transfer off the cartridge to your fingers? Put in cartridge, pick up sandwich, WorstSammichEver?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2017, 15:02 HoSpanky

This plays directly in front of Logan in theaters. Was a great little "bonus", and thankfully wasn't put online until the day it hit theaters. It's your consolation prize for Stan Lee's first Marvel movie skip-out. Logan was pretty great, save a painfully eye-rolly bit where they couldn't fucking resist putting something cheeso in. It earns its R rating, with a LOT of crazy gory kills, f-bombs aplenty and they even throw in a pair of tits for a moment.

But it clearly feels like they did ALL THAT to keep people from bringing their kids to a movie that's mostly about Logan and the professor's end-of-life shambling wreck of a relationship. It'd bore action-craving kids to tears. It's the first time these mutant action heroes felt human, and Jackman mostly keeps up with Stewart's level of performance, and surprisingly so does the little girl. Oh, maybe the hard R is also because the little girl is as much of a monster as Logan, putting Kick Ass' Hit Girl to shame. The final action sequence is ok, but it has a pile of last-second-characters whose acting ability pales in comparison to the primary cast, and it feels like a slide back into mediocrity.

News Comments > NieR PC This Month
1. Re: NieR PC This Month Mar 4, 2017, 14:36 HoSpanky

Oh boy! There's ABSOLUTELY no way this is a quick port cash grab! I bet they built it with PC in mind from the beginning! Exclamation points may imply thick sarcasm!  

News Comments > Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands PC Details
14. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands PC Details Mar 4, 2017, 13:19 HoSpanky

I was unimpressed by the game on all fronts. Everything felt super stiff, like they still had 6 months of work left. Trees and grass jitter about instead of swaying, vehicles don't steer with the keyboard, they go from forward to hard left/right instead of a smooth transition like every goddamn game in the last 10 years. Enemies would pop through animations during combat, moving their head a good foot away from where it was literally one frame earlier...this wasn't super common, but enough so that it wasn't just a singular glitch. My character had NO momentum, and all vehicles felt somewhat like that except the unbelievably shitty helicopter.

In shaaaarp contrast, I've spent the last couple days playing H:ZD, which is insanely polished in every regard. I did witness a ridiculous clipping issue with two midsize mechs trying to get me, but most of the time they will trample each other and shove each other around. It's pretty incredible to see.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm New Hero and UI Unveiled
2. Re: Heroes of the Storm New Hero and UI Unveiled Mar 4, 2017, 01:53 HoSpanky

Slick wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 22:09:
HOLY YES!! FUCK YESSS!! OH MY YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!1!one!

Wanted a proper builder character since the beginning, and the probe is probably the best of the 3, although the drone could also be interesting. Still, Toss is probably the most fun to build crazy defenses with, can't wait!!! ERRMAHGURD!

Well, enchance your calm, you don't get to go nuts. Two pylons at a time, and cannons last 11 seconds. Still, seems like something pretty different from most of the others, except maybe Gazlowe.

News Comments > Avatar Game Announced
3. Re: Avatar Game Announced Feb 28, 2017, 14:47 HoSpanky

Well, at least they picked the right game engine for the task. Whatever you think about The Division's gameplay, the visuals are top notch.

While I have minimal hope of this actually being a good game, I bet it's gonna be crazy gorgeous.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 28, 2017, 12:48 HoSpanky

Oculus on ANY tech they aren't using: "we don't see it as necessary, because we aren't doing it. Doesn't matter if people WANT it!"

Oculus is doing their damndest to be Apple for VR. Problem is, they don't have the hardware nor the religious following. With LG's Lighthouse based headset coming, and a few others claiming they're also making VR headsets...Oculus's walled garden is gonna be the death of them.

News Comments > Leak Reveals Middle-earth: Shadow of War?
25. Re: Leak Reveals Middle-earth: Shadow of War? Feb 27, 2017, 18:57 HoSpanky

Beamer wrote on Feb 27, 2017, 18:46:
I put maybe 3 hours into the original? Wasn't entertained. Combat was ok, not great, but the world was just bleh. Maybe I didn't play enough, but everything felt identical, everything looked identical, and there were no points you could just wander around without having to fight some idiot.

Oh thank god, all the gushing over the game on here and I really didn't like it. Maybe it was the incessant muted color palette, maybe it was the near-identical gameplay to AC, maybe I just don't like LOTR enough. But I didn't like it and I'm not even sorta interested in the sequel. The only open world game I'm interested in arrives tomorrow anyway.

News Comments > Sparc Announced
7. Re: Sparc Announced Feb 27, 2017, 18:49 HoSpanky

Totally looks like the tunnel-tennis game mode in RecRoom.  

News Comments > LG Developing "Next Generation" VR HMD
1. Re: LG Developing Feb 27, 2017, 18:42 HoSpanky

Oh please be a wider FOV/higher resolution headset.  

News Comments > The Golf Club VR Tees Off
4. Re: The Golf Club VR Tees Off Feb 25, 2017, 23:29 HoSpanky

Cloudlands minigolf is a hoot in multiplayer. This thing is single player only tho, really kills my interest.  

News Comments > For Honor Cheaters Banned
7. Re: For Honor Cheaters Banned Feb 24, 2017, 15:06 HoSpanky

thecakeisalie wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 14:54:
"These bans are applied on an account level, not at the hardware level"

So Ubisoft is allowing the cheaters to just make another account so they can buy the game again and keep playing. They pay lip service to the community by "banning" cheaters yet allow the cheaters to pony up the cash for the game again and play if they want to. Never one to pass up a quick buck, eh Ubisoft? LOL.

Well, blocking hardware, especially on consoles, is a terrible plan. They'll just sell the console, and start over on a fresh one. Meanwhile someone buys a used Xbone/PS4 from GameStop and then suddenly some games don't let them play online.

I've never understood the need to cheat in online gaming, and ESPECIALLY don't understand those cheaters then complaining about being punished for cheating. If you cheat to win, you didn't actually win. There's no victory there.

News Comments > Dead Rising 4 Infecting More Platforms Next Month
4. Re: Dead Rising 4 Infecting More Platforms Next Month Feb 23, 2017, 14:29 HoSpanky

LOC wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 00:36:
Ok, that "commercial" is pretty good. I know the game didn't live up to the previous games (even though DR3 wasn't super great either) in some people's eyes. I personally can't wait to slaughter some zombies in DR4 on Steam.

Just for anyone not aware though, the Play Anywhere dealie doesn't work for the Steam version of the game (kinda makes sense no?).

Play Anywhere to me just means I can play it on my PC INSTEAD of the Xbone. Doesn't matter; I've never liked the DR style of play, always felt intentionally super clunky. And someone said there's no campaign co-op? Whaaaa?

News Comments > Ghost Recon Wildlands Open Beta
11. Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands Open Beta Feb 23, 2017, 14:21 HoSpanky

Hoping to get a couple friends together and play this over the weekend. Might be fun, can't judge from the comments here as they seem all over the place. That, and BN is packed with people who hate everything.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 22, 2017, 18:46 HoSpanky

Currently, a lot of games don't do multithreading very well, and end up putting most of the load on one core. So I'm curious what the single-core performance is on these more than multicore. That's the main deciding factor for me, cinebench is 100% useless as a performance metric.  

1653 Comments. 83 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo