Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Fort Collins, CO 03/24

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1449 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Marvel Ultimate Alliance Ports Criticized
5. Re: Marvel Ultimate Alliance Ports Criticized Jul 27, 2016, 12:08 HoSpanky

This game was shot out because someone at Activision realized they take place during the Civil War storyline, and why not try to capitalize on that while interest is high?

Unfortunately, they probably figured this out only a few weeks ago, and did a slap-together job to get them technically running, hoping no one cared much about them having no graphical upgrades since 10 years ago or whether or not the controls actually worked.

The insane price is just the absolute proof that this was a "let's sell it while the storyline is relevant!" cash grab.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Oculus Rift Room-Scale VR Coming
8. Re: Oculus Rift Room-Scale VR Coming Jul 27, 2016, 09:09 HoSpanky

Already tried Raw Data, and the word "Raw" is there for a reason. That fucker needs to cook a LOT longer. Actually requested a refund, the multiplayer is flat out broken. The wallpuncher and I both got it for co-op, and whoever is the second player always lost the ability to reload about halfway thru a level. That happened three times across three days, not going back until they pull it out of EA. I expect EA to be mostly functional, just content-light. Raw Data is light on content AND polish.

Been considering covering the play area with interlocking foam pads, but since it's the garage, they'd have to come back up when I was done for a couple days so the cars can go back in. My play space isn't ideal, but considering the number of people complaining that "room scale is for rich people", I'm gonna be happy with the fact I have space to play it at all.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Room-Scale VR Coming
4. Re: Oculus Rift Room-Scale VR Coming Jul 27, 2016, 00:15 HoSpanky

Slick, I use something similar to keep the cord suspended above, and it's set to tug when you get near the far edges. I've got a pretty big play space (the garage!), but it's not super comfy to play in, what with the concrete floor and only a small window A/C unit valiantly trying to keep it from insta-sweat land. Had to build a mount for one of the sensors, as the garage is actually too large for them to communicate reliably.

The big benefits of the garage is the chaperone walls come up rarely, AND I made sure there's a good foot and a half to two feet outside each one. So when my jackass friends come over who think they have to jump and lunge at a skeleton in Vanishing Realms, they don't put another hole in the wall of the nicest room in my house. That same asshat got his own Vive and promptly punched a hole in his OWN wall, and THEN decided maybe he needs to calm the fuck down.

Anyway, I don't see the Rift getting room-scale to be any more problematic than the Vive. If you're stupid enough to put shit inside the play area, or directly outside it, you're gonna hit it.

I've shied away from the Vive lately, mostly due to hear but also the 970 in that rig isn't quite up to the task of running the more complete games, like Elite and PCARS. Today, Newegg had the super clocked EVGA 1080s in stock (and still do). Mine's in Packaging!

News Comments > More Grand Theft Auto Online Cunning Stunts
4. Re: More Grand Theft Auto Online Cunning Stunts Jul 26, 2016, 15:35 HoSpanky

Well, shit, they're really pushing me to clean off some space for this game again. My games drive is pretty packed and GTAV eats up a hefty chunk.  

News Comments > Marvel: Ultimate Alliance & Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 on Steam
3. Re: Marvel: Ultimate Alliance & Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 on Steam Jul 26, 2016, 13:49 HoSpanky

Be ready for some seriously crummy graphics with these, the first one came out as a 360 launch title, the second followed about a year later. They're mindless fun, but they don't exactly hold up visually.  

News Comments > More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney
3. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 10:06 HoSpanky

"Now they're doing it to Steam"...has steam been broken or gimped in any way with win10? Or is this speculation? I haven't noticed anything change in regards to functionality.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 26, 2016, 01:18 HoSpanky

Dunno about Felicia, but Patton has exactly the right kind of snark for this.  

News Comments > PC Gears of War 4 Details
25. Re: PC Gears of War 4 Details Jul 25, 2016, 18:24 HoSpanky

Heh. Shiho's reasons are WAY better than CJ's, but I'll put it this way: I don't do my banking on my computer. I browse the Internet and play games on it, that's it's entire purpose. I suppose if I had more going on with my rig, I'd care more.

Also, your paranoia level is...pretty high. If word got out that someone was taken to court because of something Win10 reported, like downloading a copy of a recent movie, there'd be a massive backlash and MS would never be trusted again. Corporations value their secrecy, and any hint that Win10 is a tattletale would push them to switch operating systems.

Steam isn't going anywhere. You may THINK Microsoft is stupid, but if they somehow killed Steam support, they'd have an unbelievable number of furious people beating down their door. Microsoft wants to go to UWP apps, fine. Whatever. They aren't stopping people from installing other software, they've just decided where they're going with their OWN products.

22. Re: PC Gears of War 4 Details Jul 25, 2016, 16:25 HoSpanky

shiho wrote on Jul 25, 2016, 16:12:
I passed the first Gears of War on PC in co-op and it was the best co-op experience I've had since Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition.

Too bad this one will be LOSEdows 10 exclusive.

Heh, the hate for win10 on here is so absurd. If you have a smartphone, of any variety, which I am 100% sure you do, that thing is tracking you way more than win10 on its default settings. I'm honestly not sure what the hate is all about, aside from "waaaah something new, I must hate it!".

5. Re: PC Gears of War 4 Details Jul 25, 2016, 10:28 HoSpanky

Well, considering that if you purchase the digital version of the game on either system, you have it for the other, I think this is partially being done to head off game disc resale. It's also to drive win10 adoption, I'm sure. But MS *appears* to be actually going all-in this time around, with ALL of their upcoming first-party titles hitting both systems. This feels different from the whole Halo2 thing.

Missing GOW 2 and 3 probably won't matter, as the story for 4 is all new protagonists and enemies. I am a bit surprised they haven't tossed 2 and 3 out on PC just so people can see the story, maybe that'll come later?

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 24, 2016, 23:40 HoSpanky

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 24, 2016, 20:49:
Seriously, stop buying GTA5 so the price drops a lot more, so I can buy it.

Also, Earth Defense Force 4.1 The Shadow of New Despair... is that title a joke, or a bad translation or something? I am intensely curious now about that game I've never even heard of before!

EDF games have been around since the 360 first came out, but never on PC. They're exactly as ridiculous as the title implies. 4 player co-op, you play EDF solders that fight...all sorts of random shit, getting weapon and permanent health boost drops. One poorly aimed rocket will take out a skyscraper, but that DOES give the enemies fewer things to hide behind as they mindlessly converge on you. The voice overs are godawful, with occasional ridiculous cutscenes. It's Starship Troopers as done by a Chinese knock-off company, and if that sounds like your thing, it's mindless good times as you fight against giant ants, spiders, Mecha-Godzilla, and...shit, does it even matter?

It's a bit pricey, but it'll drop to easily half that by the holiday sale. Only buy it if you have friends willing to play with you, as it's rather repetitive and also near impossible if there isn't another target for the monsties. This version of the game apparently has vehicles, including a massive mech.

I'm super surprised it made it into the top 10. It's expensive and a PC "unknown". Hell, it's not a very well known game series on consoles.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
2. Re: Hardware Reviews Jul 23, 2016, 22:41 HoSpanky

Yeah I doubt I'm going watercooled again. It's a pain, even with an AIO kit. I did it to get my machine quieter, not for overclocking. But then I got a Noctua heat sink, for a machine I didn't use much. I got a mid grade one, and the fucker is silent like the impossibly silent ninjas in movies. It clearly does its job just fine. And does it even quieter than my waterblock.  

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 20, 2016, 13:48 HoSpanky

Creston wrote on Jul 20, 2016, 12:30:
Kickstart now so we can sell to Facebook in 12 months.

Mmm, no. Did you even look at it? This is a google cardboard thing, not a full system. Also, they're full of crap, it's not the first VR system with adjustable lenses, both the Rift and the Vive do it. But they're willfully ignoring those devices in describing their own thing. Or maybe they're admitting that phone VR isn't remotely in the same class, despite phone makers claiming it is.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 19, 2016, 14:38 HoSpanky

I'm just stunned that someone higher up in organized sports is going to prison, for anything. They're usually Hillary-Clinton level exempt from the law.  

News Comments > Morning Previews
1. Re: Morning Previews Jul 19, 2016, 09:34 HoSpanky

My first impression of it is: not impressed. It's fine single player, but co-op is a trainwreck, and I only bought it for the co-op. It's simultaneously the most professional AND the most broken VR game I've played.  

News Comments > Trials on Tatooine Released
6. Re: Trials on Tatooine Released Jul 18, 2016, 23:50 HoSpanky

Mreh, wasn't super impressed. Was able to run it on medium, as said already, it's not pretty enough to explain the hardware requirements. Also super duper short.

And that's a LAME Han impression. Are there no Harrison Ford voice impersonators?

News Comments > Rimworld Steam Key Fraud Halted
25. Re: Rimworld Steam Key Fraud Halted Jul 18, 2016, 18:06 HoSpanky

Lol @ Cutter's new Signature. I cannot wait to see how many things in NMS get named "[color] Florp".  

News Comments > 8DAYS in 4DAYS
3. Re: 8DAYS in 4DAYS Jul 18, 2016, 15:57 HoSpanky

Hrm. While I do love dual stick shooters, this one's animation (on the main characters, even) is...odd. As if this is their first game and they didn't do any research on Sprite animations before tossing their first attempt out and calling it a day.

They seriously appear to be very agile, and simultaneously horribly, horribly crippled. Like they had childhood polio, and somehow overcame it through sheer gumption without their legs ever healing. I don't think I could get past that weird ass animation and enjoy the game.

News Comments > Rimworld Steam Key Fraud Halted
3. Re: Rimworld Steam Key Fraud Halted Jul 18, 2016, 13:24 HoSpanky

I don't understand exactly what's happening, what are the charge backs for, and how does that get someone (other than the CC company) a profit?

And while the game isn't my style, yeah, it sucks that this is hurting a small developer.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 18, 2016, 11:53 HoSpanky

Creston wrote on Jul 18, 2016, 11:33:
some delusional MS executive

Hahahaha.

I wonder if "demand is high" because people see the S and think this is Scorpio, a year early. I hope not. That'd be...very disappointing.

1449 Comments. 73 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo