Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1217 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Division Leaked Alpha Footage
4. Re: Division Leaked Alpha Footage Dec 21, 2015, 11:17 HoSpanky

Shame it's already pulled. I was mostly curious if the graphics have been dialed back from the teaser video a couple years ago. Also interested to hear if it'll support SLI, as that's oddly becoming LESS common lately, despite games demanding MORE muscle. THAT seems to be UE4's fault primarily though.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 21, 2015, 07:10 HoSpanky

Osc8r wrote on Dec 21, 2015, 02:32:
Was thinking about buying GTA for the online component (single player bores me to tears these days), so thanks for the feedback guys - guess i'll pass.

Tried COD during the free play weekend and wow... that game feels like some low budget indie fps made 5 years ago. What a joke.

Squad looks good, but seems really overpriced for an indie early access game. Will definitely try it at some point though.

Holding off anyway till the steam sales begin on the 22nd.

GTAV's single player game is surprisingly great, and IF you get 4 friends together, the Heists online are tons of fun. I have 2 friends who've bought the game, just waiting for the price to drop enough for one of my cheapskate buddies to get it.

Also, from a technical standpoint, GTAV is one of, if not THE, most advanced games games ever made. It'll put the hurt on any machine at the higher settings, but it's also incredibly gorgeous. Such a shame the online portion had so many hackers killing the fun.

News Comments > French Steam Lawsuit
18. Re: French Steam Lawsuit Dec 18, 2015, 18:07 HoSpanky

NKD, I will honestly say I've never thought about the reselling of games that way, and I doubt the people who are fighting for it think about it that way either.

I would rather NOT be able to resell my digital content than see the scenario you've put down there, which is EXACTLY what *would* happen.

News Comments > Rocket League Nears $50M
4. Re: Rocket League Nears $50M Dec 18, 2015, 17:57 HoSpanky

I don't know how you were unaware of Rocket League until so recently, Bucky, but yeah, I think that's how it goes for everyone. I also believe everyone should own this game...I think you'll find that NO ONE on Blue's has anything bad to say about it, which is a goddamn miracle.

I've bought MOST of the DLC, not only because I feel they've earned my money, but because almost every pack was something I wanted. I'm bummed you can't do any personalization on the Delorean, but come on....it looks fantastic as-is.

I'm glad this developer managed to bring in enough to fund at LEAST one big game, if not two or three. Despite being Indie, the game is gorgeous, runs smoothly, and is properly supported post-launch. I have no doubt that small developers are looking at RL as "the way to do it right".

I'm just hoping to see some crazier maps, like SARBC had. The pirate ship one looks amazing!

News Comments > Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Date, Specs
18. Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Date, Specs Dec 18, 2015, 07:44 HoSpanky

Glad to see MOST of you are excited. I don't think Cutter or CJ have anything they like at all anymore, so whatever. Being Emo is for 15 year olds.

I don't recall a BAD port from Capcom anytime recently. I'm just now going thru DMC, which runs smooth as silk and is WAY more fun than I've had with a game for a long time. Yes, the dialogue is super cheesy, but the game just wants you to have a grin on your face the whole time, and for the most part, it succeeds.

I've heard good things about D'sD, I probably will pick it up when I've cleared another couple of AAA titles out of my Steam list.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
10. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 16, 2015, 23:09 HoSpanky

Mine....struggles running Hearthstone. I guess it had to show its limited functionality somewhere. Still, at $35 (or $50), you can't even get a little 7" monitor for that, and this thing does quite a bit on top of that.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 16, 2015, 11:15 HoSpanky

While you won't be convinced that it's a $500 tablet, the $50 Fire is a surprisingly decent little device. The menus move snappily, although there have been occasions where it just....sits there for 30 seconds responding to nothing.

As nin says, it runs games decently. I got a pair of these for my nieces for Christmas. They're pretty young, and ONLY concerned with playing Minecraft, which these run shockingly well. I haven't tested Hearthstone, mostly because I completely forgot I could. I bought one for myself and one for the girlfriend, because these were $35 during Black Friday.

The screen isn't very impressive, but it's not as bad as a $35 or $50 would be expected to be. I assume these are heavily subsidized by Amazon, so they can get you to buy more things. I initially was going to switch the OS out so my nieces weren't bombarded by ads, but the software I used to add the google play store also killed Lock Screen ads. The built in browser and OS run nicely, although 5 of the 8 GB in the unit are already eaten. Surprisingly, it'll take up to a 128gb microSD card, although currently you're a bit limited on what can go on it. That's supposed to change in an upcoming update, and may have already happened. I didn't test it since the recent auto update.

This CAN be an e-reader, but the screen isn't nearly as good as even the most basic E-ink Kindle for that. I have a paperwhite and this won't be replacing it, it'll be coming along WITH it.

All in all, it's not nearly as clunky as a $50 tablet SHOULD be. I've been consistently impressed with it stepping up to the (admittedly unpunishing) things I've asked it to do.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 14, 2015, 19:41 HoSpanky

This article is ridiculous. Only one of the tested games uses physx, so there's literally no benefit for the games he tests.

Next up, he'll see if a GTX 980 is REALLY better than onboard video by using games such as Space Quest 3 and Zork as the testbed.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 13, 2015, 14:20 HoSpanky

Guilty Gear XRD uses a unique rendering system. The characters are 3D but look 2D, and for the first time, it's convincing. Watch videos of it, the trick is that the animations are basically lots of poses chained together, with zero interpolation. It lets the game look great at any resolution, and lets them rotate the camera for dramatic takedowns. Yet it retains the "feel" of playing a 2d fighter that the 3D Street Fighter games haven't achieved.

Even if you have no interest in the game, watch a video of a match, and tell me it isn't completely convincingly 2D.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Email clients Dec 13, 2015, 12:13 HoSpanky

I work for an ISP and part of the install process is setting up an email account. I strongly urge customers to use hotmail/gmail if they aren't already, due to unexpected changes in their life, like moving somewhere without us as an option for an ISP. That usually solves that.

Side note: we don't delete email accounts, ever, even if you're no longer a customer, we just don't have the amazing Spam filtering Gmail has. But if you have AT&T, your email address will work forever. We have a ton of people using old sbcglobal accounts, and we aren't going to make them change that either.

But I still recommend using Gmail or Hotmail.

News Comments > Ravaged Pulled; 2 Dawn Closed
4. Re: Ravaged Pulled; 2 Dawn Closed Dec 9, 2015, 16:50 HoSpanky

The only thing I know about this game is the "Let's watch a pro!" video clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki_bECL259g

News Comments > Vive Headsets Delayed
2. Re: Vive Headsets Delayed Dec 8, 2015, 22:11 HoSpanky

Basically, VR headsets are going to tease the shit out of us for eternity and never ACTUALLY come out. That's how it feels, anyway.  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
6. Re: Saturday Mobilization Dec 6, 2015, 07:24 HoSpanky

The "non-smartphones are better at phone calls" thing seems like an interesting article, up until the last quarter of it, where they backpedal furiously so as not to piss off smartphone manufacturers.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 3, 2015, 07:04 HoSpanky

Techs were moved to iPads from laptops because the iPads "look cooler" and are significantly cheaper than toughbooks.  

News Comments > Nova: Covert Ops Pre-purchases
8. Re: Nova: Covert Ops Pre-purchases Dec 2, 2015, 09:33 HoSpanky

The solution is quite simple: don't buy it. Not at those prices. Like everything Blizzard sells, it'll eventually go on sale for 50-75% off.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 30, 2015, 19:24 HoSpanky

From actually reading the article, it's apparently a memory leak, which a single patch could VERY easily fix.  

News Comments > Black Friday Tech Bits
5. Re: Black Friday Tech Bits Nov 27, 2015, 16:27 HoSpanky

Maybe this will mean reasonably priced OLED screens within a few years.  

News Comments > Thanksgiving Consolidation
6. Re: Thanksgiving Consolidation Nov 27, 2015, 10:10 HoSpanky

KilrathiAce wrote on Nov 26, 2015, 16:29:
Good, I hope xbox one fails totally.

No, no, you REALLY don't. Maybe you don't like the console, and that's fine, but if it fails so badly that MS stops making consoles, there won't be any more competition. Remember the $600 PS3? Yeah, that's what they priced their system at when they thought they didn't have competition. How much do you think the PS5 will cost when it ACTUALLY has no competitor?

News Comments > Evening Patches
1. Re: Evening Patches Nov 24, 2015, 22:46 HoSpanky

So, Arkham Knight runs like we all WANTED it to now, but unfortunately demands a lot. But it's possible! I found that if I disable SLI through the control panel and set the second card as a Physx processor, the game runs butter smooth with every single option turned to max, including interactive smoke and fog. Even in the craziest shootouts with the drones, it runs like a champ.

Should I have to do that? No. But I've been having a blast with the game now, and visually....yeah, you can see why it's so demanding.

You don't need a super beefy card for the Physx processor. Toss in an old one that's sitting in a closet. A 260 will probably do the job just fine. I swapped out my second card with a 650 I had lying around and it worked the same.

I do realize my rig is beefy. 4ghz recent I7, 16gb ram, 2 GTX 970s, boot and game drive are SSD. Running windows 10. It only takes one of those 970s to run the game beautifully if you turn off smoke & fog. Didn't bother to check CPU load.

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Specs
19. Re: Just Cause 3 Specs Nov 24, 2015, 15:28 HoSpanky

I don't understand the problem here. Consoles have ALWAYS punched above their hardware class, because the specs are a constant and devs can really dig in. PCs are, comparatively, horridly inefficient. They don't code for your exact hardware, they code to the IDEA of hardware (directx).

Everyone wants better graphics, but when a dev says "ok, let's go for it!", people start crying that their 5 year old video card can't run a bleeding edge game.

I've asked this a lot lately...where did the PC gamers that used to be on here go? I see the same names but they all sound like whiny old spinsters. Remember when every YEAR, a graphics card came out that was two to three times as powerful as the one before? Were you buying video cards THEN? Cuz you were upgrading every year. And here you guys are, crying about needing a 3 year old card as a minimum for a brand new game.

1217 Comments. 61 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo