Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1514 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Patches
1. Re: Sunday Patches Nov 6, 2016, 12:45 HoSpanky

This game can be bought for $4 during any steam sale, and it's ridiculous fun. Multiplayer is nicely different from the usual FPS. Glad to see it keeps getting support.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Forza Horizon 3 Demo
16. Re: Forza Horizon 3 Demo Nov 4, 2016, 16:47 HoSpanky

Creston wrote on Nov 4, 2016, 16:39:
MajorD wrote on Nov 4, 2016, 11:53:
Creston wrote on Nov 4, 2016, 10:58:
It's a lot of fun. It's not as charming as Horizon 2, but there are a lot of fun races to do, a lot of cool cars to get, and it's fun to drive around in it.

The whole "customize everything" was a little lacking, I felt, and the hire and fire your friends is just a lame bullshit gimmick which essentially boils down to you getting a few % bonus on XP and cash earned.

Thank you for feedback Creston; I'm down loading right now. I assume you're playing the PC version? How well does the X-platform work?

Actually, I just played the Xbone version. The PC version was rumored to have a bunch of glitches, and it's more relaxed to sit on the couch and play it on a big screen, and it runs fine on the Xbone. Haven't tried the PC version yet.

Cross platform play has been seamless for me. Hop into an online game, everything works as you'd expect. Can't tell if the other people are on a PC or not, unless they have their headset on as well. Seems that most people play without a headset. The ones WITH a headset have been Xbone players, so far.

News Comments > Forza Horizon 3 Demo
13. Re: Forza Horizon 3 Demo Nov 4, 2016, 15:27 HoSpanky

yuastnav wrote on Nov 4, 2016, 14:27:
ViRGE wrote on Nov 4, 2016, 12:32:
So as someone who has never played a Forza game before, which series is the fun, arcadey one? Forza or Horizon?

I haven't played Horizon but I've played Forza Motorsport 6. I guess it depends on what you want.
If the driving in Horizon is anything like The Crew or Test Drive Unlimited 2 then I don't think I could recommend it. But maybe you want a really arcade racer.
Motorsports on the other hand is a lot more sim-like. So if you want to have more real handling you'll go for Motosports.

I just wish there was a game that would marry both. Open world racing and great, realistic handling. All I want is to take a more or less regular car, tune it and drive it around the city and race other drivers through traffic.

Well, then turn off the assists in FH3 and you'll likely find what you're wanting. Even with them on, FH3 isn't remotely as arcadey as The Crew or TDU2 (both of those were made by the same people btw). The engine underneath is still Forza's Sim system, but tweaked to be more forgiving.

I'm gonna warn you guys up front here, force the game to 30 or 36 fps unless you want stuttering when you get into certain areas. The game engine seems designed to load data between frames, and it's not super excited about trying to load detail data in between 70-80 fps as you cannonball into Surfers Paradise in a supercar.

As for the person playing with a keyboard...good luck, there. Not sure what the avoidance of a controller is about, but for racing games, you're literally pulling the exact reverse of the whole KB/M vs controllers argument. You're trying to replace analog control with "all or nothing" digital, which takes every bit of control nuance away from you.

News Comments > Steam Site Licensing Expands
3. Re: Steam Site Licensing Expands Nov 3, 2016, 22:03 HoSpanky

All but one of the titles "included" are free anyway. Chamber 19, the only pay title, is a shittier-in-every-way Xortex, which is a free part of The Lab.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 1, 2016, 13:55 HoSpanky

The processing power really doesn't worry me on this thing; first party WiiU titles consistently has 1080p/60fps titles that look absolutely gorgeous. Nothing in Mario 3D world or Mario Kart says "we had to compromise here". I'm assuming the Switch will have as much muscle as the wiiU, if not more.

I got my WiiU for free through my job, and I only have a few titles for it, but they're spectacular. Rayman Legends is available on everything, but only the wiiU version has the 5th player option, and it's ridiculous fun. They play a very different game from everyone else, manipulating the game environment to help (or hilariously ruin) the other 4 players' progress.

As long as they still put out top notch games, I'll buy Nintendo's consoles.

News Comments > Shadow of the Tomb Raider Title Leak?
3. Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider Title Leak? Nov 1, 2016, 13:39 HoSpanky

might not be playing as Lara, with a title like that. I haven't gotten around to picking up Rise, just don't have the time for it. Still balls-deep in Legion and FH3.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 1, 2016, 10:58 HoSpanky

"Buy a Samsung SSD or curved monitor and get 2016's least-anticipated AAA game! That's right, our products went up in price overnight, but keep in mind that you get a $60 'value' in the form of a download code for Watchdogs 2: The Game Nobody asked For!"  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered Minimum Requirements
12. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered Minimum Requirements Oct 31, 2016, 07:53 HoSpanky

The low CPU requirement is due to the game engine underneath not really doing anything more than it did 9 years ago. They only bumped up the graphics, which I'm sure you can set back to original levels, hence the GeForce 450 being minimum.

This is not a knock on the game, I enjoyed it when it first came out.

News Comments > Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 29, 2016, 16:38 HoSpanky

Fion wrote on Oct 29, 2016, 14:19:
I haven't used deodorant in years.. let alone soap (save occasional hand soap - never the antibacterial stuff) or shampoo. Instead I've worked to restore my bodies natural microbiology. I find I don't sweat as often (accept working out of course), my hair is thick and doesn't tangle much (though it isn't as shiny), I have no BO, and my skin is very healthy. I do of course still shower, but I just use good hot water & a good old wash cloth.

I'm of the belief that these artificial, antibacterial, chemically based soaps, shampoos & deodorants have hurt our bodies ability to stay clean, not helped it. People hear that 100 years ago people bathed rather irregularly and think 'they must have stunk to hell and back'. I think it was probably rather the opposite.

I have a friend who's doing this. It's not working for him, he smells awful. I won't let him get in my car anymore. I doubt he's "doing it right", though, he's perpetually halfassing projects then wondering why they fail.

News Comments > Gears of War 4 Adding New Maps
3. Re: Gears of War 4 Adding New Maps Oct 29, 2016, 14:09 HoSpanky

Yeah, people report the same issues for Forza Horizon 3, and in *that* case, it was caused mostly by people running some "disable all tracking" software, which breaks how windows store games connect to their validation/telemetry servers.

I think the batch of Xbone/PC "play anywhere" titles that have been announced will likely also be the last. MS routinely abandons the PC as a gaming platform, usually due to their own software doing weird stuff. But their game forums are also packed with people who shoot themselves in the foot (disabling telemetry) then complaining that the game doesn't work. I think the games SHOULD be capable of telling people WHY they're not launching, as that would help immensely. Launching , then almost instantly dropping back to desktop is infuriating to troubleshoot.

News Comments > Turtle Rock Evolves Past Evolve
9. Re: Turtle Rock Evolves Past Evolve Oct 26, 2016, 10:28 HoSpanky

Angrius Maximis wrote on Oct 26, 2016, 10:08:
The Evolve world is more developed than Overwatch...but gamers just love their trash titles

"Trash titles", while trying to take a jab at one of the most polished games in existence. The backstory for Evolve is possibly amazing, but no one CARES because the game just isn't fun for more than a day.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Oct 25, 2016, 10:24 HoSpanky

Lol

"Blizzard does not announce Vanilla servers"
Also
"Blizzard sues the pants off Nostalrius"

News Comments > SAG-AFTRA Picketing EA Today
28. Re: SAG-AFTRA Picketing EA Today Oct 24, 2016, 16:47 HoSpanky

Steazy wrote on Oct 24, 2016, 16:34:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 24, 2016, 15:46:
While I agree with everything you've said and I sympathize with the VAs... there are still lots of other people in the industry (pretty much everyone) who also deserve some level of proper compensation and protection as well. And in the case of any actual junior developer I'd say those people need it before the VAs.

Then they should unionize too.

Yes, all the programmers, artists, game designers and producers should build a time machine - go back to the 30's - dominate a fledgling industry - unionize - and then come back and bully around a completely different and established industry?

<trolling>How would you feel if UAW decided that auto workers deserved royalties for repairing your car in GTA Online because RockStar mo-capped a union guy for the animations, and you had to repair with real money so rockstar directly made a profit off of their work! </trolling>
They don't have to go back to the '30s to unionize. They have to get their shit together and DO it. It's absolutely legal to unionize, but if they can't get a large majority of developers to join, it's useless. The reasons unions don't tend to form anymore is because people have lost their willpower to get paid what they're worth. Right now, many are just happy to get paid at ALL, and companies are preying on that as much as possible.

25. Re: SAG-AFTRA Picketing EA Today Oct 24, 2016, 16:22 HoSpanky

I'm honestly surprised at the number of posters that are pro- SAG-AFTRA. I *expected* several people to say "hey I don't get residuals, despite working in a completely different industry!". If you get stock or profit sharing, then you have the equivalent.

It's all down to how REPLACEABLE you are. Good voice actors get quite a bit of work, and stand out from others in the same game. Look at WoW, it's got an unfortunately wild fluctuation in voicework quality. There's a female Tauren that talks a LOT in it, and her voicework is uncomfortably horrible. And then there's the guy who voices Runas the Shamed, who along with Havi (same voice actor), are the most memorable characters in the expansion. Runas doesn't have a long story arc, but it's horribly tragic, and without the *excellent* voicework, no one would have cared.

Thanks for having my back JD, I now realize I didn't point out clearly that I meant vocal cord damage from screaming, not from talking.

6. Re: SAG-AFTRA Picketing EA Today Oct 24, 2016, 12:01 HoSpanky

I agree with two of their points:

One, they want to know the name of the game they're being contracted to work on. A respectable voice actor doesn't want to accidentally add "Floppy Cock Massacre Brony Parade" to their resume. It's a two-fold move from the publishers, to keep unannounced games off of voice actor resumes, and to keep them from negotiating higher pay for higher profile games.

Two, game companies routinely demand voice-destroying audio from these people. When your career is based around the functionality of one part of your body, and someone asks you to "dig deeper, we need to feel your anguish, and we need 5 hours of it so the sound effects don't seem repeated"...you can do serious damage to your vocal cords, and that shit can be permanent. Insisting on a form of hazard pay for those roles is legitimate.

Their complaint about royalties sounds dumb to US. But everyone else in a similar field (movie stars, live tv and cartoon voice actors, musicians) get paid extra when their project proves to be lucrative. I can see why they feel "left out". What these voice actors don't understand is that UNLIKE those other professions, the voice actor is NOT front and center. They are a peripheral item. In most games they're at the same level as Flavor Text and Ground Clutter. They add a small bit of grounding to the game world. MOST games. In voice-heavy titles like The Witcher, Mass Effect and the Uncharted games, I could see validity to the voice actor's self-importance. Jennifer Hale IS femshep, and if they'd switched voice actresses, players would have been in an uproar (but it wouldn't have actually hurt sales).

Remember the huge deal there was about Peter Dinklage's bored voicework for Destiny? Bad voice acting CAN bring a good game down. I don't think they're COMPLETELY off-base here, but it looks like whining from the outside.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 21, 2016, 13:04 HoSpanky

Flo wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 11:59:
PS4 Pro Has Extra 1GB of RAM.
Welcome, console players, welcome to the hardware upgrade race
I thought developers were not allowed to release games exclusive to the pro version but let's not kid ourselves,
original PS4 owners will be second-class citizens.

Games can't NOT work on the original PS4, but I do expect games that run pretty badly. I see it going just like any console generation change, except a longer period of games for the "old" system keeping the newer games from really cutting loose. From what they're saying, it's essentially got two GPUs (in one, no SLI shit here). The CPU is the same, so this will only affect graphical performance. Sony refuses to say it, but this thing was purpose-built for PSVR.
Shame that it won't help PSVR's biggest issue, tracking. The butteriest framerate in the world won't help alleviate nausea when the controls and headset space-shift constantly. Sony opted to use old, failed tech that they likely had warehouses full of, rather than something that tracks properly. A single Lighthouse sensor would have been a FAR better option, or the rift's camera setup. Both of those track INSANELY well.

Hopefully MS has a better plan for VR with the Scorpio, even if it's just "buy a rift!". PSVR's poor tracking will likely make the uninformed think that's how ALL VR works, and then decide that the tech just isn't ready yet.

News Comments > Accounting VR Game for Free
12. Re: Accounting VR Game for Free Oct 19, 2016, 17:34 HoSpanky

Acleacius wrote on Oct 19, 2016, 11:34:
I must be missing something obvious and asking a dumb question here but why do VR games require a VR headset? Doesn't it just give the perception of 3D. It's not like a room isn't a room, in a VR game. It seems more like deciding whether you want speakers or headphones, the game will still play.

This question shows up on literally every VR-only game's message board. VR isn't a SLIGHT change to a game, it's massive, but it's really hard to describe. The interface is so completely different that you're pretty much asking why you can't write a novel using a steering wheel instead of a typewriter. Your physical head movements in the real world determine where you are and where you look in the VR world, and there isn't a controller for a flat screen that can properly convey intent.

If you want an idea of the difference, check out a game called Home Improvisation. You'll find the controls to be fiddly and obnoxious and almost impossible. In VR, you're still given the same task but since you've spent your whole life moving objects with your hands, it's insanely intuitive, and easy to make small adjustments. You have all 3 axes available, not the two a mouse can handle, plus rotation at any angle.

In games that use weapons, they follow your hands EXACTLY. Not "kinda", like the Wii, but exact motions. You can actually, finally, properly parry a sword, for example. Also, as hard as it apparently is for people to grasp, your lizard brain is convinced what it's seeing is real. YOU see the graphics and say "nope, that's cartooney, I know it's not real", while deep down in the part of your mind you don't realize is doing things, it says "oh man, I'm winded from swinging this sword, lean against that tree that totally exists".

You really, REALLY need to find a place doing demos. The Microsoft Stores have Vive demos, and Best Buy has had Oculus and PSVR demos. It's really impossible to explain why it's so amazing. It takes about 3 seconds in a VR game for you to realize that what you THOUGHT it'd be like isn't even close to what it does.

News Comments > Valve on Illegal Skin Gambling
12. Re: Valve on Illegal Skin Gambling Oct 18, 2016, 13:05 HoSpanky

ViRGE wrote on Oct 18, 2016, 12:44:
descender wrote on Oct 18, 2016, 11:54:
People always love to blame Valve's for some reason... you could also "gamble" exactly like this in literally any other game that allows in-game item trading. It's not their fault that people use their in-game trading system for things like this. They could use CS:GO skins to barter for hookers on craigslist if they really wanted to and Valve would still not be to blame.
It is their fault when they turn a blind eye to it and don't take measures to stop it.

...yes and no. Valve did not start or run these gambling sites. People can gamble on ANYTHING. If they remove the ability to trade items, it'll kill the game's popularity and another game will pop up with largely the same concept.

It's illegal for kids to gamble on ANYTHING, but you don't see the NFL being held accountable for people gambling on their games. This is just someone being mad because their kid did something stupid and they want to blame someone else for it.

News Comments > Saturday Patches
1. Re: Saturday Patches Oct 16, 2016, 05:37 HoSpanky

The Forza Horizon patch does clean up performance at high framerates quite a bit, although there are still small hitches noticeable when driving at high speeds. Still performs smoothest at around 30 fps.  

News Comments > Shadow Warrior 2 Released
3. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 Released Oct 13, 2016, 13:21 HoSpanky

Very positive reviews for this, despite it being a very different game from the first. Co-op! Loot!

Not gonna lie, I had zero interest in this game until today, and now...now I'm also annoyed at missing out on 20% off.

1514 Comments. 76 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo