Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Bend, OR 04/29

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1471 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 19, 2016, 13:39 HoSpanky

jdreyer wrote on Sep 19, 2016, 13:29:
Uber accused of cashing in on bomb explosion by charging almost double to take terrified New Yorkers home.

It's a terrible situation, but that's how the software works right? It's not like some nefarious exec went in there after the explosion and jacked the price because he thought there'd be some kind of opportunity.

Exactly. these people could have taken a yellow cab, but they didn't, even after seeing the higher pricing. Why? Likely there weren't enough cabs to go around.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
11. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 17, 2016, 10:22 HoSpanky

Per the Muni internet: so can the OTHER town "start their own muni broadband system" and just...ya know, use what's already there?  

News Comments > EVERSPACE Early Access
8. Re: EVERSPACE Early Access Sep 15, 2016, 13:52 HoSpanky

jdreyer wrote on Sep 15, 2016, 13:22:
HoSpanky wrote on Sep 15, 2016, 13:07:
this is likely going to be *THE* VR space sim game for me. Elite Dangerous is...overly complex, and Star Citizen seems to be trying to put even MORE shit between the player and the action.

Unfortunately, they aren't putting any UI into VR until the base game's UI is finalized, so that keep me from buying EA.

Looks similar (well, except for 3rd person) to Eve Valkyrie. Do you have it?

Valkyrie is a multiplayer combat arena game, Everspace is a single player sorta-rogue. I don't have Valkyrie yet, as it's still locked to the Oculus store, but when they release it for Vive, I'll likely pick it up. I agree they're both visually similar, super pretty and action-focused.

Also Everspace has a cockpit view, which is what it does for VR by default (don't know if third person is even an option for VR).

News Comments > EVERSPACE Early Access
4. Re: EVERSPACE Early Access Sep 15, 2016, 13:07 HoSpanky

this is likely going to be *THE* VR space sim game for me. Elite Dangerous is...overly complex, and Star Citizen seems to be trying to put even MORE shit between the player and the action.

Unfortunately, they aren't putting any UI into VR until the base game's UI is finalized, so that keep me from buying EA.

News Comments > Return Zero VR Released
5. Re: Return Zero VR Released Sep 13, 2016, 18:46 HoSpanky

bigspender wrote on Sep 13, 2016, 17:08:
VR has now effectively turned into the Wii. Just a sea of gimmicky mini games. Not a single solid game for traditional gamers.

You're right, and wrong here. There's a lot of chaff, yes, but there's also a massive pile of shovelware for normal PC gaming. This is nothing new.

Where you're wrong, though, is looking for "traditional" games. They simply don't work in VR. Right now devs are scrambling to figure out the new "standard" for VR gaming. A movement scheme that works for EVERYONE. General interface functionality, especially something like an inventory. And on top of everything, making sure no functions overlap their GPU/ CPU time so much that a frame skips. That last one trips up a LOT of devs, currently, especially on PC where people think it's OK to have an active virus scanner running while in VR, or ANYTHING ELSE running back there. They spend a lot of time chasing ghosts because users don't understand that NOTHING ELSE should be running.

The current VR interface seems pretty well suited for adventure/puzzle games, and Obduction is working to add motion controls. I don't understand why a Roomscale version of Grimrock, where you move on a grid ANYWAY, doesn't exits already. You could keep people in the same area of the square they're in, and just shift them around.

Anyway, shoehorning traditional gameplay into VR doesn't work, except in cockpit games. It demands something different.

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2016, 19:00.

News Comments > Return Zero VR Released
3. Re: Return Zero VR Released Sep 13, 2016, 16:05 HoSpanky

sir wrote on Sep 13, 2016, 14:44:
So, you have to spend $1500-plus to play a game that looks like a rejected scene from The Lawnmower Man...no thanks, think I'll wait for the next VR craze, hopefully not for another 10 years or so.

Agreed, this is a pathetic, proof-of-concept artwork game. Take a look at Redout, that also runs in VR and isn't a visual insult. VR, due to its nature, will not be as pretty as normal games, but it doesn't need to look like an Amiga tech demo.

News Comments > Halo 5 Forge for Windows 10
30. Re: Halo 5 Forge for Windows 10 Sep 9, 2016, 16:42 HoSpanky

Whether or not the store is a bad thing isn't really a concern when it comes to this particular piece of software; it's free. If you lose access to it in the future...uh, too bad? Paid purchases are the only thing you have any actual right to be cranky about, and CJ is technically correct, although filled with ulcer-inducing rage.

I plan on picking up Forza Horizon 3, but it also runs on the Xbone on the same purchase, so I'm not terribly worried about loss of access. I don't TEND to go back to older games, so loss of older titles isn't enough to bother me. There are plenty of newer games that work fine, and I have more interest in anyway. Not trying to invalidate CJ's anger over his sorta-loss of AOE3 access, just that *personally* it's not a concern.

I do think that games past a certain age should be made available for free, but that usually requires someone to code OUT their DRM, and no one's gonna do that for free. Or worse, they need some help to run on recent OS', which can be a monumental task, depending on how many now-dead tricks they used to get it working. For example, I'd love for Rocket Jockey to actually work, even if it's still butt ugly. It's hilarious fun in multiplayer and has mechanics no one has done since. But that'd require work, unpaid and probably largely unnoticed. It's more likely someone would make a spiritual successor than to resurrect the original.

News Comments > Halo 5 Forge for Windows 10
12. Re: Halo 5 Forge for Windows 10 Sep 8, 2016, 22:32 HoSpanky

Task wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 22:06:
"Now eventually you do plan to have a Halo 5 game on your, on your Halo 5 game tour, right?"

You sir, have my imaginary upvote.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided DLC This Month
12. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 2, 2016, 14:22 HoSpanky

The question isn't "was this in production before the game came out". Of course it was. The question is, when's the right time to release content for a single player game? Is it within a month of release, so people buying console copies hang onto their discs longer, lowering loss to resale? Or later, when people have moved on to other games and have less interest in "going back"?

The answer, obviously, is "the sooner the better". So that's why this is happening. Should it have been included in the original game? Old-school gamer logic says yes. Old-school gamer logic doesn't make MONEY, however, and I doubt you go to work and hand out YOUR time for less money than what you could be getting.

Edit: sorry, meant to Quote, not Reply, and now I can't get my phone to let me undo what I've done. Look back, you'll know who I'm replying to.

News Comments > Wireless HTC Vive Plans
13. Re: Wireless HTC Vive Plans Sep 1, 2016, 13:32 HoSpanky

To clarify:
This is an addon for the current Vive, not a whole new headset.

What I'm curious about is what happens when the battery dies, either unexpectedly or someone ignores any alert it may give. If you unplug the Vive currently, you have a reaaaally good chance that your computer hard locks, or behaves incredibly oddly. The battery unit should have a short-charge secondary battery in it that can keep the unit alive for 1-2 minutes, and recharges from the larger, interchangeable rechargeable batteries.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2016, 14:38 HoSpanky

The only thing I've preordered lately was Legion, because really, it's unlikely Blizzard is gonna make a buggy mess of a game.

I'm crazy bonkers excited about Forza Horizon 3 coming out on PC. I won't be preordering it. While the studio is basically a dream team of arcade racing developers, Microsoft's UWP releases have been hit or miss. Yes, F6:Apex is pretty great in terms of video options and performance, and it IS sort of the same engine...but I don't trust MS at that level. If reviews are good, I'll have it within a day or two of launch, and a second copy for the GF. Seriously the best racing series I've ever played, the handling is EXACTLY the right mix of arcade and realistic, allowing as little or as much tweaking and customizing that you could imagine, and maybe a bit beyond that. I'm pretty sure I'll be losing my shit over it all over Blue's at the end of September.

But I'm still not gonna preorder it.

News Comments > Carnival Games VR Announced
1. Re: Carnival Games VR Announced Aug 31, 2016, 11:04 HoSpanky

While I have no interest in THIS game, I'm betting we'll be seeing more announcements like this, with games developed for PSVR making the leap to Vive/RiftTouch. It's one of several reasons that if done properly, PSVR will be the real launch of consumer-level VR.

I won't have it for a while, but I DO plan on picking up a Neo, so if there are a lot of exclusives that DON'T come to PC, I can get them there.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
9. Re: New GeForce Drivers Aug 30, 2016, 13:38 HoSpanky

Sempai wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 12:59:
HoSpanky wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 12:50:
The graphics update isn't terribly noticeable. Turning on max view distance DESTROYS your framerate, and this is on a 1080. Now, I AM running SSAA 4x, so I'm rendering every frame at well over 4K. *Might* have something to do with it. But it looks WAY better in the close-field areas that way, and I'm not terribly worried about seeing the outline of mountains two zones over.

I doubt the new drivers help much at all, but I'll do some testing.

Question? Why run ssaax4 at 4k resolution? Other than typical anti-aliasing smearing effect and a dip in image quality, why run it at all at 4k? It's a significant performance killer.

I'm not trying to be snarky. Is there something i'm missing here?
One of the benefits of running 4k for me(for the most part)is the ability to finally get rid of anti-aliasing altogether for a nice crisp image without blurred colors etc.

Sorry, I really stated that poorly. I run a 1440p g-sync monitor. At 4x SSAA, each frame effectively renders at 2880p. Colors aren't smeared, they're sharp and bright. It's not FXAA, which looks like the monitor has Vaseline on it.

When I say "it kills performance" to raise the view distance, that's in a high-stress environment. The Garrison, standing just outside the main building, actually counts as one, and my framerate drops an extra 10-20 FPS there at max view distance vs 7 (of 10), with everything else at max, including soft shadows.

A lot of times, the framerate drop has nothing to do with the GPU, however, and is dependent on network traffic. Squeaking extra frames in at that point is a game of hurry-up-and-wait for the video card.

I dunno. I may bump view distance up and see how it affects performance in THIS expansion. Didn't have time this morning, had like an hour to play before work so I was more concerned with seeing SOME new content, and not dicking with video settings.

News Comments > World of Warcraft Legion Launched
4. Re: World of Warcraft Legion Launched Aug 30, 2016, 13:28 HoSpanky

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 11:57:
People still love this game?

I thought it was awesome at launch and then steadily got worse...

Mm, depends on what your idea of "worse" is. It's far easier to get into dungeons and raids, at least at the "raid finder" level, which means half the group can be idiots and you'll likely still succeed. The loot won't be amazing, but it'll be decent.

Every class can now successfully solo, and gear stats are normalized...you don't have to hunt down gear specific to healing versus spell damage, for example. A lot of people are mad about that, because they liked hunting all that stuff down.

The graphics are a mixed bag, of course, it's over 10 years old. Some areas got a lot of attention during Cataclysm, others were largely left alone.

Every expansion changes the game quite a bit. Lots of people hate that, as some classes change to something that requires re-learning them. I'm a bit annoyed at how Elemental Shamans changed, because I was hell on wheels in raids, but I haven't really messed with it enough to determine if the changes are ACTUALLY bad, or if I'm just annoyed with change.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
3. Re: New GeForce Drivers Aug 30, 2016, 12:50 HoSpanky

The graphics update isn't terribly noticeable. Turning on max view distance DESTROYS your framerate, and this is on a 1080. Now, I AM running SSAA 4x, so I'm rendering every frame at well over 4K. *Might* have something to do with it. But it looks WAY better in the close-field areas that way, and I'm not terribly worried about seeing the outline of mountains two zones over.

I doubt the new drivers help much at all, but I'll do some testing.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: WESTWORLD Aug 29, 2016, 14:19 HoSpanky

Hadn't paid much attention to Westworld, but that trailer has me very excited for October. Looks fantastic, and HBO rarely puts out a stinker.

The Thor bit was great, Hemsworth should look into doing more comedy. I heard he's the best part of the new Ghostbusters. Bit of a surprise, but before 21 Jump Street, who'd have thought Channing Tatum would have been the best part of that movie?

Also, the Elders React to Cloudlands Minigolf...that game is one of only a couple Vive games that can truly be called a "full game". It has multiplayer, which works flawlessly, several gonzo holes, and a surprisingly great level editor that they're constantly adding new pieces to. They're even considering allowing user submissions that they'll then add sockets to so they'll snap in along with others. Glad to see it getting some attention, it should be on every Vive owner's playlist, along with RecRoom. I could go on for pages about RecRoom, but this is already too long.

News Comments > Halo 5: Forge PC Specs
6. Re: Halo 5: Forge PC Specs Aug 27, 2016, 14:09 HoSpanky

Lol @ "ultra 4K 60fps!" Who cares, an editor can run at 10 FPS and it wouldn't really matter in the end. If there's no GAME, this thing is pretty pointless. Anyone interested in making Forge maps has already mastered the version ON the XBone.

I'm assuming it's a partial test of the engine on PC, and the next Halo game will be one of these Play Anywhere titles. Just like the Forza Apex thing was a tech test, and Forza Horizon 3 is going to use the info gained from Apex players to try to NOT be a shitty port when it launches. Because PC gamers are less forgiving of shitty ports than non-existent ports.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 27, 2016, 11:02 HoSpanky

Can confirm PCARS doesn't run very well even on a 1080. Was very disappointed, it was one of the biggest reasons I GOT a 1080. Not buying a $1200 card to make it work right, though. I ended up putting the 970 back in the VR rig, until more full titles that can run on mortal hardware come out, that 1080 is going in the machine that I'm playing Witcher 3 on.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 24, 2016, 13:52 HoSpanky

Quboid wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 12:53:
Cutter wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 12:26:
Uh 4th Amendment anyone? I never understand how these agencies can just do stuff like this and not get smacked down immediately for it.

They just cry terrorism and impressionable people will happy give up their freedom and principles. I take it you've seen the sort of person - particularly in this US election - who wants to deny people their freedom of religion (or even deny people of other religions their lives) all in the name of freedom and "live and let live [by my rules]". The "You're not allowed to believe that because forcing your values on me is a serious problem" crowd. Awful hypocrites.

Eh, religious zealots of any sort are dangerous animals that cannot be reasoned with. And right now we have a very specific religion that's being used an excuse to murder people, so ANYONE following that religion is looked upon with suspicion.
I just don't get why people would look at what's happening and say "ehh, I still want to believe in this religion that is THE reason my native country has gone to shit, and why we're abysmally behind the rest of the world technologically, and is the root of WHY I RAN TO THE U.S. IN THE FIRST PLACE". If you refuse to question the validity of your religion, no matter what, you are a zealot.

That said, they're going to catch zero terrorists with this move. "Oh sure lemme give you my Twitter handle where I post daily about being excited to kill Americans!". They'll have a fake account or just say they don't have a Twitter account. Simple as that, how did this idea get past the "Hey, why don't we do this?" stage?

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Patched
5. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Patched Aug 24, 2016, 10:24 HoSpanky

VaranDragon wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 10:14:
Game is getting hammered on Steam. Mostly not due to the gameplay itself, but the business practices of the publisher. Charging for DLC that will most probably complete the game (the game ends abruptly), a store with microstransactions, horrible performance issues, bugged mouse acceleration etc. that sort of thing.

Damn, hadn't heard about any of that. The "rest of the story" DLC thing is worrisome. If the game sells well anyway, it'll just be the first game to pull that shit, and a ton will follow. Very few publishers are interested in putting out truly worthwhile DLC, especially single-player DLC. There's the obvious "but the Witcher 3 has that!", but W3 is the exception to the rules pretty much across the board.

1471 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo