Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1343 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Controller Report
1. Re: Steam Controller Report Jun 2, 2016, 07:57 HoSpanky

GameStop has them down to $35. A friend of mine picked one up and the guy at the counter said that's the first one they've ever sold.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games
3. Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games Jun 1, 2016, 15:14 HoSpanky

Wish it'd work the other way around, so I could put my GoG version of Witcher 3 on Steam. I have friends who would probably buy it if they could borrow it (via family sharing), but if I gave them a completely DRM free copy they probably would just use that and never actually buy the game. And while some games don't deserve that treatment, W3 absolutely does.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 1, 2016, 13:39 HoSpanky

I really do hope AMD isn't just cherry-picking its benchmarks, even though it certainly appears they are. Nvidia NEEDS some real competition from them, even if it's not on the super top-end. I'm not going to be buying an AMD card, but Nvidia can't be left alone in the field.

News Comments > Minecraft Advertising Crackdown
1. Re: Minecraft Advertising Crackdown May 31, 2016, 21:49 HoSpanky

And here I thought this meant a Microsoft product was going to be advertising Crackdown 3, also a Microsoft product.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
10. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 30, 2016, 01:38 HoSpanky

DangerDog wrote on May 29, 2016, 18:38:
Version 2 of the VR headsets with 4k UHD Display, worth waiting for.

The second generation of VR headsets won't be 4K. Even the 1080 won't pull that off. MAYBE if VR SLI becomes a thing properly, but:

If the 1080s render the second eye "free", what's VR SLI going to do that they don't already? Can't do AFR, that's already been proven.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Turning One
4. Re: Heroes of the Storm Turning One May 27, 2016, 22:59 HoSpanky

There'll likely be SOME goodies for free.

I still like this game because of the Team Levelling mechanic. You can try a new character and not completely drag the team down. Tonight a friend and I had the same two quests...Starcraft and support. We took Tassadar and Morales. A stimmed Archon is 10 seconds of glorious, unstoppable demolition. Not QUITE as fun as stimming a Thor, but a close second.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. May 27, 2016, 16:36 HoSpanky

The only reason I think they should offer pre-Cata gameplay is so people could go around the areas BEFORE death wing demolished them. I wouldn't care if it was a massive cave of time that let you wander both continents in their original form.  

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 27, 2016, 13:00 HoSpanky

Dagnamit wrote on May 27, 2016, 10:35:
Overwatch numbers are interesting. Looks like the game will take as much power as you can throw at it, from a CPU standpoint. Yuuuuge jump when moving to 8 threads. Of course, Blizz games have always scaled unbelievably well. Means I'm probably getting due for a full rebuild, with this and the low level API's coming up soon. My i5 3570k has served me well for 4 years now, but it might need to be benched.

Well their testing method is a little broken, don't bank too much on those CPU tests, unless you plan on playing the game solo with a bunch of bots.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Delayed?
9. Re: No Man's Sky Delayed? May 26, 2016, 11:49 HoSpanky

HorrorScope wrote on May 26, 2016, 10:53:
What's peoples thoughts on Empyrion? It seems to be an epic scale with a lot more to do, from travel to planets all the way down to fighting in dungeon levels on each, crafting, survival, etc. A game that gets no pub vs another game that for some reason just gets all the pub, hasn't released, hasn't shown a lot to do.

It gets no publicity because Early Access survive-n-build games are ALL still in Early Access, no matter how long they've been around. Show me ONE that's made it to a "full release". I'm done buying games that aren't even halfway through development, only for the dev to decide they made their money from me already so why bother doing any more work.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2016, 21:45 HoSpanky

Again, you've....you've tried it without your glasses, yeah? If it turns out you can't stand contacts, you really should take a look at Lasik.  

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 23, 2016, 17:32 HoSpanky

Oculus has the better launch library, but they're more focused on that than actually getting the headsets into consumers' hands. They lost more customers to THAT failure than to ReVive. They're setting up demo areas at Best Buys, which is a GREAT idea...IF you've got production under control. All pre-order customers see in stores is what should be THEIR Rift being used to demo it to people who ALSO can't buy one.

Valve pushed out the Vive with...well, a bunch of demos. There isn't a complete game in the batch, unless you count retrofitted titles like Elite and PCars. Valve's own The Lab is incredible, home to the best-looking VR experiences. Xortex is fantastic, and NO ONE has a game even SORT OF like it. But they will come.

Oculus chased their customers right into the Vive's arms. Those people are looking for more than tech demos, and Full Games is all Oculus has to offer. And Oculus doesn't want to sell them to Vive users. If they were SMART, they'd open up their store to Vive use as well. I'd totally buy Chronos. They could make SOME money off of me instead of precisely zero. They can't keep paying devs enough to keep them off Steam.

Also, the memory article was surprising. I didn't think ram speeds made any difference in gaming anymore...at least not over a frame or two. I don't do any video work, but if I did, I'd be ordering some 4ghz ram right NAO.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse May 23, 2016, 17:07 HoSpanky

Ehh, shit happens. The cable company SHOULD have paid for the tv, and not billed him the trip charge. I've blown up one single tv in the 12 years I've been doing the same sort of job, and it technically wasn't my fault. I was just the last person to touch it.

Anyway, as for voltage on the line, that crap can be caused by idiot neighbors, especially in apartment complexes. It can be caused by a bad ground in the building, I've seen the sheath literally melting off a line before because of how much current was running through it. Bad grounding isn't always the cable company's fault. That melting cable I ran into was because our ground WAS good...and the one for the house had gone bad. Electricity follows the easiest route, and a shitty, corroded ground doesn't work NEARLY as well as that nice clean new one the cable guy put in.

Saying someone should get fired for one mistake is foolish, and short sighted. It wasn't a deliberate mistake. A staple through a line is easily missed during install, and if it was actually doing any damage, you'd have seen it right away. More likely than not, the staple wasn't causing the issue, it was just found upon inspection. Also, Cable installers aren't electricians, and vice versa. We find so many shoddy shortcuts that electricians take when wiring up houses, and it's rare to find them using even *OK* cable, much less GOOD wire. They tend to buy the shit that's out of spec (and therefore much cheaper) and slap that in.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
15. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 23, 2016, 07:25 HoSpanky

Luke wrote on May 23, 2016, 04:46:
Put 100 GTX 1080 on for a sale and ya have a "sell out" in a hour

So fucking easy to fool peps to think " woooow i MUST have one it is soooo popular "

Lets see them in action THEN one can see if it is oki doki Clown

Uh, "seeing them in action". You mean all the benchmarks and reviews that are already out, and tell you a lot more than any individual owner is going to tell you about the performance increase? Your post is short, but your contempt for these cards is clear. So either you're dead set on AMD, or you're broke.

I'm more interested in the overclocked ones that secondary manufacturers are going to make. They'll be cheaper, or at worst, the same price as the FE cards, and if the benchmark testers really got "average" chips, the overclocks will be...significant.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. May 21, 2016, 15:15 HoSpanky

I'm just hoping Valve is working on a full VR game after making The Lab. It's home to the most visually impressive short-form games on the thing. I don't care if the game is a new franchise (that only ever has two games in it, of course), or if they decide to finally make 3 a number they use.

It seems somewhat unlikely, considering the insanity in The Lab's forums. People demand to be able to play it without a Vive, despite the controls being impossible to replicate, and despite it not being a full game, but a series of small experiments. It'd be like demanding to be able to play Wii Sports without a Wii. *IF* they made that possible, people would be underwhelmed, would say "this VR thing is crap!", and give it bad reviews...because they don't have the hardware it takes to run it as intended.

If Half-Life 3 happened, and was VR-exclusive, CJ_Parker and a massive pile of people would cry cry cry about it and say they'll boycott Steam or whatever. They would absolutely ignore that the mechanics of a game are built entirely differently for VR than for traditional games, and things that are incredibly engaging in VR are super boring outside of it.

22. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2016, 19:28 HoSpanky

I've had several people over who wear glasses to play on the Vive, and I make them all take them off. They all appear to be able to focus on things anyway. Hell, I have a weird issue with my right eye dilating more than the left, causes unpleasant special effects all the time...but they don't happen in the Vive. Not sure why. They should, but they're noticeably absent.

Definitely give it a spin without glasses, it might surprise you. Also, Sepharo is on the money here, laser surgery all the way.

YES, I had laser surgery, and YES, my special effects are an unfortunate side effect. I had an undiagnosed issue with that eye, they wouldn't have let me GET the surgery had they known. My surgery was a long, long time ago, and they've improved massively since then. My vision is incredibly better than I ever would have believed when I was growing up...seriously, look into it. You will eventually need reading glasses, because there's generally no way around that, but holy crap, best investment ever. Even after the vision issues (think halos around every light source, like in video games), and the terrifying process of getting the surgery done, it's the best investment I've ever made.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 20, 2016, 19:15 HoSpanky

Wallshadows wrote on May 20, 2016, 18:45:
I'm sure there is more to it but it seems a little ridiculous that the Vive and Oculus require separate development to the point where games which support one or the other are locked down. It's not like it's a graphics card, processor or API but rather an external device which functions as a fancy monitor with bulky hardware requirements.

Shouldn't there be some kind of VR standard to follow instead of pushing VR in to the market in one hand while locking down and splitting the market in the other?

Despite Palmer Luckey saying that VR can't survive if the software is segregated like this....his baby was clearly taken away from him and now they're making damn sure you can't play any of the games they paid to be exclusive to their headset.

The fact that ReVive WORKED is proof that there's VERY little difference between how the two devices interface with games. Hell, room-scale tracking worked in most of them, despite them being "only for Oculus". More and more, I'm happy I chose the Vive, even though it's been a MASSIVE PITA to get to behave properly. There aren't many "full" games for it...in fact, the only full games for the Vive are games that weren't made with it in mind. Oculus was smarter about it, realizing they needed a strong launch library.

And I don't want Oculus to fail. We need multiple high-quality VR headsets in the market. Had I kept my Oculus pre-order, I'm sure I'd have been thrilled with it, and the titles they have for it. If, of course, it had arrived by now.

34. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2016, 14:34 HoSpanky

Sepharo wrote on May 20, 2016, 13:18:
Guy, I said at least 3 times now that I find the whole concept insulting. There is really no other point to be made. I would never work for a company that did such things to its employees. Employment is built on mutual respect. I'm a human being, not some machine or animal to be shuffled through testing programs. This is my 4th job in 12 years (been here for 7) never had a drug test (from work) before, never will. Another thing that might blow your mind is that we don't have a time clock or a dress code. We are allowed to make these decisions on our own because the company respects us and only cares that we're producing.

Maybe you find getting drug tested insulting, but as others have said, it's a test of the person they're hiring. You're a stranger, and they're looking to put a lot of money into training and then paying you to do the job. If, as others have said, you can't be bothered to pass the drug test, then you clearly don't actually want that job. You've got a helluva sense of entitlement there, CLEARLY never having had your own employees to deal with. Drug tests wouldn't be required or even exist if people would all come in to work capable of doing their job. Clearly, leaving that decision up to Joe Public didn't work out.

Having a company that doesn't have time sheets lasts exactly as long as the employees don't abuse the shit out of it. Wait until one of your coworkers claims 50 hours of overtime when no one's seen him for weeks.

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2016, 12:28 HoSpanky

Hah, I remember having one of those 300a chips. Also overclocked.

Haven't done any since, hasn't been a need. It's unlikely that you see a noticeable gain from it, until now. The 1080 is apparently VERY overclockable. I'll be putting one in my VR rig, where missed frames aren't just noticeable, they're fucking horrid. So maybe pushing a little harder will smooth out rough spots in the more demanding games (looking at you, Elite Dangerous).

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 1080 Review Roundup
36. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1080 Review Roundup May 17, 2016, 15:47 HoSpanky

Slick wrote on May 17, 2016, 15:21:
theglaze wrote on May 17, 2016, 14:50:
Fast Sync

Any word yet on which generations are capable of this new mode?

A lot of these reviews lack actual opinion about the features during gaming, just started regurgitation of marketing material with a smattering of bar graphs.

Yeah, I'm really surprised that none of them tested a multi-monitor setup, what with these very big claims. And VR headsets are out in the wild, I know they're hard to come by, but you'd think at least one of them would have tried out the 1080 with a Vive or Oculus by now... Perhaps there's still some driver fuckery going on where the oculus runtime etc doesn't interface with the new driver features perfectly yet, that I'd believe.

A few of these reviews are promising more info over the next few days. Every site needed to have a review of the basics up today, Vive / multi-monitor doesn't interest nearly as many people.

The VR "free second eye" thing has to be coded into the games, it's not automatic. So expect that to take a bit. I'm sure Nvidia is working with the major game engine companies to get it integrated as fast as possible. I'm curious when games will use VR SLI, as they could push fidelity MUCH higher, and people with older cards in SLI would suddenly find their rig VR viable.

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 1080 Review Roundup
27. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1080 Review Roundup May 17, 2016, 14:23 HoSpanky

jacobvandy wrote on May 17, 2016, 14:12:
Slick wrote on May 17, 2016, 12:26:
hmmm?

Interesting, I'd never even heard of this... Maybe they changed it by the time I bought mine in November '14 (ACX 2.0), but I've never had an issue with the cooling. Even at stock settings where it doesn't turn on the fan at all under most circumstances, it maxes out around 70C, but you can tweak the automatic curve to lower that to 50C if you don't mind a little extra noise. EVGA claims the design was intentional, and obviously they had to pass QA with NVIDIA so it was good enough regardless. People love to bitch, though.

That WAS the first set of ACX cards. The second series of them were fine, but they didn't halt sales of the first ones.

Every company dropped the ball on the 970s, in terms of coil whine. It was rampant, and not manufacturer-specific.

Anyway, really it's gonna be down to "who puts out the highest clocked card with a decent warranty" game for me. The Vive rig demands power like nothing I've seen before, especially if you want to run games like Elite Dangerous or Project Cars. Hoping to see some benchmarks with those two games in VR.

1343 Comments. 68 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo