Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1217 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Previews
3. Re: Saturday Previews Jan 9, 2016, 15:21 HoSpanky

Morgan19 wrote on Jan 9, 2016, 15:10:
...you get your hands on the controller. I played the PC version...
Does. Not. Compute.

Yeah, I'm betting they handed reviewers a controller because they invited PC journalists and console journalists, and wanted ONE interface to have them deal with.

Im not against using a controller on the PC, there are PLENTY of games where they're the best option. But DOOM? Nah, they'll have M/KB support in there. Nice to see that the option is there for a controller if someone inexplicably wanted to use one, though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Far Cry: Primal Specs
3. Re: Far Cry: Primal Specs Jan 8, 2016, 11:35 HoSpanky

harlock wrote on Jan 8, 2016, 11:34:
jomisab wrote on Jan 8, 2016, 11:32:
And if you plan on enabling nVidia Hairworks for all those lovely beasties and get any kind of decent framerate, you better have Titan SLI or wait for Pascal. I guess they forgot to mention that.

who cares about that shit tho

Nobody! No one wants ANY graphical advancements any more, at all, ever!

News Comments > Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release
25. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release Jan 6, 2016, 11:52 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 11:48:

Really? Try Canada where this is $850 + $100. Hahaha! Yeah, looks like you're not going to see a lot of adoption in Canada anytime soon. And it's really cheap and uncomfortable looking to boot. Look at the headphones! Totes ghetto.

Wrong again, Cutter.
I don't see the Beats logo anywhere on those headphones.

24. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release Jan 6, 2016, 11:49 HoSpanky

So, here's how it went:

Me: "Oh damn, the Oculus is more expensive than anyone thought."
Her: "A LOT more?"
Me: "Uh, yeah. A lot."
Her: "Like, 4-digits?"
Me: "Woah! Nono, $600."
Her: (doesn't flinch) "Oh. Well that's not so bad."
Me: "..."
Her: "Didn't you build that machine specifically to run that thing?"

It's difficult to argue with cold, hard logic.

Mine says it'll arrive in April.

17. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release Jan 6, 2016, 11:24 HoSpanky

KS wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 11:21:
Now I just need a game I want to actually play that supports it.

WoW?

SW: TOR?

That's pretty much it. Oh well.

I have two Eve accounts for two-boxing. How fast can I switch the games inside the headset?

Just run one account per eye! Multitask win!

7. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release Jan 6, 2016, 10:44 HoSpanky

TangledThorns wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 10:22:
Vive or GTFO!

From what I've seen, the Vive offers nothing that the Oculus doesn't. Did something change? Since they don't take any money today, I'm preordering a Rift. Can always cancel if the Vive suddenly offers something worth switching/waiting for.

5. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release Jan 6, 2016, 09:48 HoSpanky

"Less than a thousand dollars!"  

News Comments > Free Retail Unit for Oculus Rift Backers
13. Re: Free Retail Unit for Oculus Rift Backers Jan 6, 2016, 09:09 HoSpanky

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 5, 2016, 23:41:
NKD wrote on Jan 5, 2016, 22:49:
Some napkin math suggests this is around 7000 free Rifts being given away. Depending on the retail price they announce tomorrow, that's probably a total retail value higher than the total amount they made from their initial Kickstarter.

That's still not even pocket change for Suckerjerk.

See, comments like this are why I think you're a moron, CJ. Do you think "Suckerjerk" or "Shitbox" are actually clever or funny? they're neither, and you sound like you're 12. Zuckerberg is capitalizing on an idea that caught fire, which is precisely what anyone would do if it happened to them. Or would you effectively win the lottery and say "nah, nevermind, I don't want any of that money"?
As for the Xbox one, CJ, please, inform us all of the completely functional device that YOU'VE successfully built into a worldwide brand? Your weak insults stink of jealousy.

Zuckerberg put 2 BILLION dollars into Oculus. *So far*, there's no sign that there will be any Facebook integration whatsoever, or even any branding. Currently, it looks like he actually did it for the reason he stated: that he believes the tech will be amazing, and he wants to see it succeed. That may change! But I plan on pre-ordering a Rift, and it probably wouldn't have made it to retail without that massive infusion of money.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Preorders Wednesday
20. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Wednesday Jan 4, 2016, 17:48 HoSpanky

So, games HAVE to be built for VR, or else every time you enter a menu, you'll get disoriented. The only way non-vr games would work on these is if you just ran in 3d mode, no head tracking...like wearing a set of 3d glasses.

Cost? I'd say they're gonna drop the bomb at $500, hoping two games and an Xbox controller are enough to get people to stomach it. I'm buying one, I built a machine that's designed to run the goddamn thing, with a pair of 970s (Nvidia VR drivers supposedly already divides workload for each eye to each card). Got tired of the cards twiddling their thumbs and got a g-sync monitor, which was one of the best purchases I've made in a long time.

I'm annoyed they're not announcing release date or price, but seriously, if they told us that ahead of time, WTF would they actually ANNOUNCE Wednesday?

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 4, 2016, 13:46 HoSpanky

I recently upgraded to a 1440p screen, decided to check out ARK again. Incredibly sluggish. I have a pair of 970s but the devs abandoned working on SLI functionality, likely to get the Xbone version running.

So even down at Medium settings, the game has incredible input lag. At 1080p it runs fine, but looks like Vaseline got smeared on the screen.

Here's hoping they fix the performance issues, but I've got very little faith in them at this point. They're constantly FAR more interested in adding more animals than fixing the issues it's had since the beginning.

News Comments > PC Killer Instinct a Windows 10 Exclusive
17. Re: PC Killer Instinct a Windows 10 Exclusive Jan 3, 2016, 21:54 HoSpanky

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 3, 2016, 20:02:
Without having read the article, I can say that I already smell the DLC.

It's a F2P game, so yes, there's shit to purchase.

I dunno, I have an Xbone and I tried the demo (only one character is free, never changes, always Jago). Wasn't super impressed.

Not worried about the exclusivity. Moved to Windows 10, have had zero problems beyond the first day, when it saw both of my video cards as one card and refused to work properly until I uninstalled the "card". Works fine, boots crazy fast and, most amazingly, didn't shit itself during the upgrade. All my software still works! That's a first, I think.

News Comments > Op Ed
36. Re: Op Ed Jan 3, 2016, 08:15 HoSpanky

Well, this was basically a litmus test of "who on Blue's is a moron".

If you confuse Cliffski with CliffyB, that's you! You're likely to complain about a headline without reading the article, because you glanced at something and made up your mind before you actually read it.

Personally, I find it amusing that you guys are angry at developers for wanting to make a living on the games you so clearly want. No, I don't tend to buy games at full price, the only ones in recent memory are Legacy of the Void and Rocket League. But I'm also actually happy to not have the flash sales, I felt compelled to constantly check Steam during a sale.

But if you're terribly angry about a game being $3.74 instead of $2.50, it's probably time to re-evaluate your life. How much does it cost to go out to a mediocre restaraunt? We spend $30 last night, which is less than usual. It was decent food and I wasn't hungry for a few hours.

How many hours of entertainment do you get from a game? Skip one meal out and you saved yourself ...ehh, let's say $20 (food at home isn't free, just cheaper). That'd buy you Mad Max right now, which is apparently quite good. Or 3-4 smaller games that, combined, would likely entertain you for several evenings.

Also please remember you guys are the exact same people who lose your goddamn MINDS if a game isn't perfect the day it comes out alongside its console brother (Arkham Knight), but cry cry CRY if a game is delayed to avoid that situation (Rise of the Tomb Raider). I'm looking directly at you, CJ_Parker. It's like you're doing everything you can to get devs to say "fuck it, I'm done being hated for everything I do".

How many of you crybabies have made a game? An actually released game? How long did it take to get it working properly, and how little are you willing to make for all that work? Oh, I see, zero of you. It's easy to bitch and moan, let's see you actually produce something and put it in front of this group of people and see if you get defensive when they tear the last 3 years of your work to shreds, while simultaneously demanding you get paid pennies for doing it. Honestly, I think it's why we see so many single-release Indie devs. Phil Fish was a dickbag, but he wasn't completely wrong.

Ugh, this post turned into a mess.

Tl;dr: HoSpanky is being all pissy and cranky about everyone else on here being pissy and cranky.

News Comments > Lucky's Tale Bundled with Oculus Rift
22. Re: Lucky's Tale Bundled with Oculus Rift Jan 2, 2016, 09:48 HoSpanky

jdreyer wrote on Jan 2, 2016, 02:51:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 1, 2016, 21:35:
I just looked through their Wiki list and I don't really see anything that would make me buy one just yet. Half-Life 2 is supported. Great. Did you re-do it with hi-rez textures and improved poly-counts? No? Why the hell would I pay $500 to see graphics from over a decade ago?

Geez, you want to sell a buttload of these? Make Fallout 4 compatible. Make World of Warcraft compatible. (Bash on it all you want, millions of people play and I bet a bunch would hop on the VR bandwagon to plug into Azeroth in VR.) Borderlands? The new Wolfenstein?

Everything they have so far seems like a tech demo.

HL2 is actually the perfect game for OR. Since the OR requires frame rates of 90 FPS +, the older game should run buttery smooth for most people. This will give a good experience, spreading word of mouth about the product. As Blue posted the other day, a to support VR for a current gen game requires a monster rig, beyond the means/desire of most people.

Plus there's that Total Conversion of HL2 with updated textures and models:
http://cinematicmod.com/

I left the Alyx model alone, as the "new" one is based on some model one of the devs is obsessed with, and the voice DOES NOT match the face. THe rest is a pretty massive upgrade, and runs like butter still.

News Comments > Lucky's Tale Bundled with Oculus Rift
17. Re: Lucky's Tale Bundled with Oculus Rift Jan 1, 2016, 22:39 HoSpanky

The only reason I can think of to avoid putting support in for MMOs is the lower resolution per eye will force all the text in the game to be larger to be readable.

The resolution on this is reasonable. No, it's not amazing, but it's already going to take some decent hardware to push it, I think they're trying to keep the price of entry from being over $2k.

I'd like the option to NOT pay for another Xbone controller. I already have plenty of them. But I want one of these pretty badly, I'll probably pony up for it anyway. That it comes with Valkyrie removes the sting a bit. I'll give the little fox game a shot as well, I like decent platformers.

While third person may help alleviate motion sickness, that doesn't mean crazy fast games are a good plan for VR. Sorry, Rocket League.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Hardware Reviews Dec 31, 2015, 14:09 HoSpanky

Nice to see Legit Reviews acknowledging that the monitor was likely cherry picked. Acer and Asus' g-Sync monitors have a hefty premium price, but clearly don't get any premium build attention.

I have an Acer G-sync monitor, and I didn't get any major backlight bleed, but I do have one dead (black) pixel. It's WAY up in a corner, and since it's not colored, it doesn't draw attention. It took me 3 days before I saw it the first time. I can understand how it could have slipped through QC, and I've decided it's not worth returning the monitor and rolling the dice on another one. LOTS of complaints of several stuck pixels or severe backlight bleed from both manufacturers.

If you want a G-sync monitor, the Acer IPS model is gorgeous, but it's a crapshoot. Buy locally if you can, Fry's carries them and will price match...if you get a stinker, it's less of a hassle to get it changed out.

I'm loving the buttery-smoothness in games, and mines 1440p, so everything is noticeably sharper than my prior 1080p screen. I run SLI, and some games still have some micro stutter caused by it. Most of the games with that issue run full tilt with one card anyway, so it's only annoying that half my GPU muscle does nothing. I've accepted that SLI is likely only going to be used extensively in VR, where having two cards is less of a programming issue than single-screen.

Tl;dr: Current G-sync monitors have bad QC, but the tech is awesome, especially if you have a single card. SLI setups can still show microstutter. Glad the reviewer mentioned theirs was likely cherry-picked for review.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 28, 2015, 12:21 HoSpanky

El Pit wrote on Dec 28, 2015, 12:15:
To destroy a hard drive permanently, just let your young son/daughter/nephew/niece just use the computer as they see fit. After 60 minutes, the boot sector will be a deadly snakepit full of viruses, trojans, and everything you do not want on your system.
Now just unplug it and hand it over to somebody you really hate and tell them: "I trust you. Can you please destroy this hard drive? There's some personal info, pics and mail on it, so please don't look at it. Thanks!"
Problem solved!

This isn't a particularly efficient way, but it's one of the most entertaining!
Thanks for the laugh.

News Comments > Rise of the Tomb Raider Next Month
10. Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider Next Month Dec 27, 2015, 16:15 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Dec 27, 2015, 15:44:
It's not a Tomb-er!

Hahahah!
The last one certainly wasn't, you ran around in a forest for most of it.

And I have no idea why I continue to argue with CJ. His logic is so flawed, but whatever. That two months was more likely a "let's not make this game take over as the new Arkham Knight" polishing phase than an exclusivity agreement (especially only two months, most deals are 6 months or a year). But CJ's convinced otherwise, specifically because it justifies pirating the game.

5. Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider Next Month Dec 27, 2015, 14:21 HoSpanky

That still explains very little, CJ.

A TWO MONTH "exclusivity" period doesn't sound right. It sounds more like "we got the game out on a single-configuration piece of hardware in time for the holidays, and have been working on getting the PC version ready to go as soon as possible". Complain all you want, but developing for PC is a WAY bigger pain in the ass than consoles.

I did notice there was no MENTION of it coming to PC until now, but whatever. I understand they've got a somewhat-struggling console to support, and every exclusive game adds to the scales. My tipping point for a PS4 hasn't happened yet, there's exactly zero exclusive games for it that I want. The Xbone had me at "Forza Horizon 2". Would I like a PC version of FH2? Sure, but I can understand why it isn't going to happen. Being mad about exclusives is stupid, anyway. I don't see you fuming about Mario Kart 8 or The Last Of Us not coming to PC. Yet here's a game that IS, and you're angry about it.

Did you pirate GTAV for not coming to PC for TWO YEARS?

2. Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider Next Month Dec 27, 2015, 13:24 HoSpanky

How is it bullshit that they want exclusives for their console?

And this was a pretty short exclusivity period (well, except for PS4, but whatever).

This just sounds like you looking for ANY excuse to pirate it instead of paying.

I enjoyed the first one, but I'm still not gonna pony up $60. Although at $30, I'll likely get it. I'd rather get it for PC, especially since I now have one of these spiffy g-sync monitors.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Dec 22, 2015, 11:43 HoSpanky

I can't stand her constant bouncing. Then again, unless a Daily demands otherwise, I'm playing Morales. Just got her level 10 Master skins, which has a Samus color set.  

1217 Comments. 61 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo