Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1563 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2017, 11:23 HoSpanky

jdreyer wrote on Jan 7, 2017, 02:44:
Wasn't RL available free on PS Store for a while? Does that count as a "sale?"

It would, except it was free for a month in 2015, when it first came out, not anytime in 2016.

RL deserves to be the success it is, I've never played a game that gets me focused like it. I'm awful at it, but it's such a rush when you go for a shot and it does exactly what you were planning. Also their DLC is completely optional, and low price. The game is "how to do it right" in pretty much every aspect.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: #2017 Jan 3, 2017, 16:08 HoSpanky

I wonder how many of those "friends" knew where she lived, calling for emergency services with no idea where you're sending them is useless.  

News Comments > Steam Top 100 of 2016
28. Re: Steam Top 100 of 2016 Jan 2, 2017, 00:04 HoSpanky

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 1, 2017, 22:10:
Not on Steam but BF1 was on sale for 40% off. I already got my cherry popped with one of the many prevalent bugs when I got a DX error message saying something about my graphics card being removed from my system or some weird shit.

Features at this point it seems.

My Origin purchase was TitanFall 2, as I'd read it has an incredible, if a bit short, single player campaign. Abaolutely fantastic so far. Not sure how far along I am yet, for all I know I'm one level from the end, but it's been a wild ride. Definitely going to replay it on a harder difficulty, hoping for some more tense firefights. On Normal, I die to falling more than gunfire.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Dec 30, 2016, 15:42 HoSpanky

While I'm glad for the Onward developer, I'm disappointed that Valve chose to single out one developer. Maybe these offers have been going out, and devs are just being quiet about it. It'd be nice if they offered their assistance to Indimo, who makes Vanishing Realms. Or the team (presumably still) making Budget Cuts.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
8. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 30, 2016, 11:42 HoSpanky

The driver who hit them likely doesn't have much money, so they're going after who does.

Had Apple actually made FaceTime shut off while the phone was moving, then people riding on a bus or train, or a passenger in a car, couldn't use the software either. All that would accomplish is driving people to use another, near identical piece of software that doesn't care how fast you're moving. There is no solution to idiocy, which is the real cause of the accident.

News Comments > Orc Hunter VR Early Access
4. Re: Orc Hunter VR Early Access Dec 28, 2016, 18:36 HoSpanky

Super unimpressed with the demo, it's yet another "hey we got one single system working in VR, please believe it's a game and buy it!". Very VERY few titles on Steam currently are "full games", which is a surefire way to kill even the most amazing hardware. "Give it time!", everyone says...ok I gave them a year, where the fucking fuck are the actual goddamn games?

Yet, Vanishing Realms is the only VR game worth a damn, and the only game of its kind. Literally everyone else went for arena shooters or standing simulators, VanR said fuck that, go on an adventure. It's not terribly long, but it rewards you for poking around. It has decent, if not terribly varied, combat, and an actual fucking dungeon to explore and loot. It's not pretty, looking like something like a GameCube Zelda title, but it doesn't fucking matter. You'll buy into it more than any other VR game. It's just a shame it isn't longer.

News Comments > AU Fines Valve $3M
30. Re: AU Fines Valve $3M Dec 23, 2016, 16:41 HoSpanky

Kxmode wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 15:34:

A court found in May that Steam's website breached Australian Consumer Law because it stated consumers were not entitled to a refund and had no access to minimum quality guarantees.

I'm not defending Valve but they do actually have a refund policy. It's just really crappy and needs to be revamped. There should be situations, like in the case of NMS, where a refund is appropriate regardless of playtime.

They DID, in the case of NMS, offer a longer refund time. It wasn't immediate, but it did happen. As for the refund policy itself, I think it's fairly generous. People on this board seem to think that people AREN'T complete shitbags, but guess what...most people ARE. If they can play through an entire game and then return it, even if they enjoyed it, THEY WILL. That two hour refund policy has absolutely murdered some short indie games. Even if the game was only a dollar, people would refund them.

The refund policy in AUS absolutely wasn't written regarding software, and being what it is, there needs to be a provision in place for it. I do believe there should be the ability to get a refund if a game doesn't work right, but in the case of NMS...that was a simple case of Buyer Beware. Stop pre-ordering games and that shit won't affect you.

News Comments > AU Fines Valve $3M
7. Re: AU Fines Valve $3M Dec 23, 2016, 13:03 HoSpanky

Ok, but how long are the refunds supposed to be allowed for? Did Australia not get the 2 hour/2 weeks thing that US has with Steam?  

News Comments > Steam Winter Sale and Awards Voting Begin
27. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Awards Voting Begin Dec 22, 2016, 17:51 HoSpanky

I'd like to also point out Iron Brigade, which is $1.49 right now. A few years old, used to be a GFWL game, but that's been removed in favor of Steamworks. It's a weird mix of Mech shooter and tower defense, and you decide how much it leans toward one or the other. Also co-op for up to 4 people, and at that point you NEED to coordinate mech loadouts or you're gonna come up painfully short in a weapon type. Comes with the expansion pack the console version got. Works fine with KB/M or controller. Mech parts are purchaseable (not real money), and loot boxes drop during missions that can have rare weapons or free upgrades. Scratches a lot of itches at the same time.  

News Comments > Steam Winter Sale and Awards Voting Begin
3. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Awards Voting Begin Dec 22, 2016, 15:01 HoSpanky

Creston wrote on Dec 22, 2016, 14:36:
The "Villain Most In Need Of A Hug" Award

Gabe Newell, for not greenlighting Half Life 3?

We'll get you anyway, Valve. No matter how many categories you discard.

I don't care about HL3 anymore. I AM interested in what VR magic that 1/3 of their staff is working on. The Lab has no story, but it's still THE thing you show people who think all VR games look like shit. Well, and now Arizona Sunshine, but those guys somehow got gun aiming wrong in a game about pointing guns at things.
Valve is definitely The Most Likely studio to produce VR's killer app.

Also, back on the Steam Sale front, Hyper Light Drifter is down to $12, and is apparently the greatest goddamn thing ever made, according to the reviews. Sounds like my next Big Indie game. just finished Grow Up, the sequel to Grow Home, and while it was "more of the same", and only about 8 hours total, it was still fun. It does suffer from some object pop-in that the first game doesn't have, but it also has a WAY bigger world to explore. If a game about a child-minded, possibly drunken robot that's tasked with some unbelievably massive vertical platforming sounds up your alley, they're a steal. They're an Ubi published series that don't use Uplay, if that's important to you. When I say "unbelievably massive", I mean "you can fall to your death, and it may take a minute and a half to hit the ground, where you started".

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Dec 18, 2016, 14:50 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Dec 18, 2016, 14:27:
Yep, at least here they're starting to treat it with the seriousness it deserves, yet I still see no shortage of selfish pricks on their phones in cars. It needs to be on par with drinking and driving. When they start jailing people for it it'll stop.

Police should set up cameras that can see if someone has a phone in their lap (mounted about 105feet above the road), paired with another camera mounted at an angle to get license plates, then simply have people who watch the cameras and issue tickets for using their phones.
These setups need to be hard to spot and easy to move, so people don't behave only in "camera zones". Yes, it's VERY Big Brother-y, but do we just allow these accidental (yet willful) murders to just keep happening?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2016, 14:28 HoSpanky

Ice all over here, 200+ wrecks on the highway loop around the city overnight. They closed down part of it, and people trapped in their cars had to wait up to 9 hours for rescue. Supposed to be even worse tonight. But we're still out working, because fixing someone's imagined "slow internet" is more important than our safety. Honestly, it's not bad NOW, but I'm really worried about what's going to happen when the sun goes down.  

News Comments > On Overwatch Mei Skins
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 16, 2016, 21:30 HoSpanky

Ehh, I imagine it's not as big of a deal as people are making of it. It'll just be ignored and forgotten. Only people buying boxes for possible gold drops (and seriously, that's pretty absurd) and purchasing the skin with that are cranky about it, and honestly, if you don't like the skin, DON'T BUY IT.

Blizzard can figure out a skin is a failure if no one buys it, and will drop the price accordingly. Like how they're handing out Zarya in HOTS already, since she's unbelievably awful unless your opponents are first time players.

News Comments > New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers
7. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Dec 15, 2016, 18:03 HoSpanky

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 17:56:
LMAO!!!!!!! I'll never install Geforce Experience.

I liked shadowplay. Not installing a version that requires a login, I already have too many to keep track of, and I give Nvidia money when I buy cards. They don't get even MORE from me from adding in an advertising system with minimal benefits to me.

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. Dec 15, 2016, 15:31 HoSpanky

Oddly, while the article is new, the comments all say they're from 4 years ago.

I loved my SLI voodoo2 setup. Didn't abandon it until I saw Quake 3 running on a GeForce card, and DAMN did that 32-bit color look better. Got one (think it was a GeForce 2, actually), and kept the v2s for the games that still only ran in Glide. That eventually faded away, but I've been an Nvidia guy pretty much ever since then. Got one ATI card, and it ran/behaved like shit. Was back when their drivers really were garbage. That sort of thing sticks with you, though. Nvidia may be pricey...but hot DAMN if my 1080 isn't a ridiculous monster.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Winter New Hero, Event
2. Re: Heroes of the Storm Winter New Hero, Event Dec 14, 2016, 23:50 HoSpanky

heroin wrote on Dec 14, 2016, 19:46:
Damn, Ragnaros is way OP because the ultimate is insanely powerful but it's definitely awesome to watch no matter the side (or who's dyin').

The fire wave is only powerful if people don't GTFO when they see it coming on the map. It's pretty obvious. It's SUPER handy for when a lane gets ingnored and a bit overrun with mobs. It does seem to down AWFUL lot of damage to heroes, which I'm sure they'll adjust down right about the time he's not worth 15,000 gold.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Dec 14, 2016, 08:43 HoSpanky

Also Gears 4 and Forza Horizon 3 are both $30 for the digital versions at Best Buy.  

News Comments > Turtle Rock's New Co-op Shooter
5. Re: Turtle Rock's New Co-op Shooter Dec 13, 2016, 11:40 HoSpanky

Played Evolve at a LAN last weekend when we were down to 5 players. One guy insisted he be the monster. 3 games, he lost all 3 times. Said it's impossible to win as the monster. I have played the game just as much as he has (training, and the 3 rounds, plus when it had a free weekend a long time ago).

So I played as the monster. I was unstoppable.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 11, 2016, 16:36 HoSpanky

Heh, I hear ya, Blue. I'm excited that I'm probably getting new slippers at Christmas, which is so far from when I hated to get clothes for Christmas. NOW I understand why my parents thought I should be excited to get them, but back then, of course, if it wasn't FUN, it was a crappy present.  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
12. Re: Saturday Mobilization Dec 11, 2016, 13:52 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Dec 10, 2016, 19:08:
HorrorScope wrote on Dec 10, 2016, 18:46:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 10, 2016, 12:21:
Michigan Transportation Director Kirk Steudle concedes that there will be crashes and probably a fatality involving autonomous cars.
But they get to test in snow so that makes it all better. Lawsuits in 3-2-1

It does make me wonder how all this is going to work with such unpredictable weather and outcomes. I get it we make plenty of mistakes, but when you rely on systems, it seems liability shuffles to mfg vs driver. The backlash is going to be legendary. Could be wrong.

Not at all. I will bet you any amount of money that legislation is passed in support of the automakers/software developers that fully indemnifies them. Much like you can't sue the phone company, just go to arbitration - that favors them anyway - at best. In short, getting into an autonomous vehicle will mean you automatically waive your right to sue. As for accidents between drivers and autonomous vehicles you can bet they'll pull out all the stops to make sure the driver loses that battle.

Well, do you think the autonomous car will be the one looking at its cellphone while barreling down the highway? Or "merging" last second onto a crowded offramp? Or getting frustrated at slow traffic and attempting to use the breakdown lane to get ahead?

I don't think Robot Cars will be perfect, and I'm worried about what an entire nation dependent upon them would do if the network they ran on was compromised. But robots are endlessly patient, and never use emotion to make a decision. They'll never get drunk or high and then try to drive home. They won't take their eyes off the road to yell at rowdy kids in the backseat. They cannot experience road rage. They are KEENLY aware of their own condition, and will likely be coded to force owners to take them in for repairs before a vital component fails.

They WILL fail due to incredibly shitty weather, like the aforementioned Fuck That Corner In Particular. Or from a poorly manufactured connector coming loose. Unless roads get tracking devices implanted in them, and even the , they WILL misread a crappy unpainted backroad and end up in a ditch.

They will require a network connection to plan merging and to prepare for unexpected road conditions, and I guarantee that network will be a strong focus for hackers, as it'd be one of the few cases where they could actually kill people if they can get in. The cars will need to be able to function autonomously from that network, even if it's in a more limited fashion, even if it just means pulling off to the side and stopping. And they absolutely should require a physical connection for software updates, to lower the possibility of outside fuckery.

1563 Comments. 79 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo