Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1977 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Xbox made $2.25 billion for Microsoft last quarter Apr 27, 2018, 10:14 HoSpanky

Numinar wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 02:36:
Flo wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 02:01:
CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 26, 2018, 20:22:
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo........

Why no? They have done a fucking great job of turning that ship around and the engineering of the Xbox One X blows the PS4 pro out of the water. I only got a PS4 Pro for God of War (great game I admit) and it's crazy how loud that thing gets. IMO it's always good to have some competition.

Flo wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 02:01:
CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 26, 2018, 20:22:
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo........

Why no? They have done a fucking great job of turning that ship around and the engineering of the Xbox One X blows the PS4 pro out of the water. I only got a PS4 Pro for God of War (great game I admit) and it's crazy how loud that thing gets. IMO it's always good to have some competition.

That fan noise is bad enough on the PS4 normal. I need my noise canceling headphones and a few meteres gap between me and the machine to make it bearable. (Game is still amazing. Frame rate issues fixed by restarting the machine on the two occasions it happened in 30 odd hours of gameplay and counting that I have loved every minute of.) I think Sony's awesome engineering is starting to slip.

Though not as bad as Microsoft's software team. That Xbox UI (And the windows app) are trash. Something they got so right the first time on the X360 and yet somehow forgot how to do it? I'm keeping my eye out for a cheap S just to catch up on my old man stories (Halo), have my XBLA library/backwards compatibility and be able to play Forza and Sea of Thieves with more family members but I'm surprised they are making any money on that thing. I guess they were able to grow the market enough last time out that they can flog low margin/subsidised hardware and still make bank from a distant second place in market share.

You do realize that you can play Forza on PC with Xbone players, yes? Only games where the pc gets a distinct advantage do they block crossplay. I donít know about Sea of thieves, it doesnít seem like a game that cares about accuracy much, so it may have full crossplay. Gears of War 4 allows co-op crossplay modes but not adversarial.
And you donít have to pay for a Gold account to play it from PC, so thereís that nice bonus.
That statement about Forza involves both Forza 7 and Horizon 3.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 26, 2018, 14:28 HoSpanky

Ozmodan wrote on Apr 26, 2018, 14:18:
typical of this industry, look at Intel, they got complacent and let AMD catch up, I expect the same from Nvidia. Their next graphic cards are not going to be that earth shattering.

They donít need to be. AMD clearly canít keep up with them, and until crypto crashes, Nvidia isnít worried about selling chips. Should AMD catch up, I guarantee Nvidiaís ready to roll out something that will leave them in the dust again.

That much said, AMDís drivers were *routinely* trash. Nvidia goofed up regarding one card configuration, and theyíll fix it. A simple mistake like this isnít indicative of a drastic downhill slide in quality.

I really hope AMD cranks out an amazing chipset that makes Nvidia scramble. Itíd be great for everyone except Nvidia.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 25, 2018, 23:38 HoSpanky

Just finished playing Wolfie 2 this evening. What a weird game. Absolutely gorgeous throughout, with some spectacular scripted sequences. It canít seem to decide on if itís goofy or serious. But it was very fun, so...Iím hoping they sold enough to finish the trilogy.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 25, 2018, 12:12 HoSpanky

ugh @ alleged specs on the 1180. I'll wait until they actually announce the damn thing before getting all excited for what could very well be made-up horseshit. Nvidia doesn't have to try terribly hard to stay WAY ahead of AMD, so I'd be surprised if they put out anything that realy blew away the 1080ti. AMD is having a hard time keeping up with the vanilla 1080!

Or maybe Nvidia plans on dropping a device that makes AMD look downright incompetent by comparison.

News Comments > It Lurks Below Early Access
5. Re: It Lurks Below Early Access Apr 25, 2018, 12:06 HoSpanky

Darks wrote on Apr 25, 2018, 12:01:
Quinn wrote on Apr 25, 2018, 11:34:
Just opening the Steam store these days has me wonder if I fell into a time warp thing and I'm back in the early 90s. I'm sick and tired of it. If this is the omen of the future of PC gaming, my gaming days will soon be over.

No kidding dude, I feel the same way. all these low end crap games being pushed on the front page. Ugh!!

I think what bothers me most is that the dev is saying multiplayer MIGHT get added if the game is popular enough to support that...look, the ONLY reason Terraria was a runaway success was because it had multiplayer from the start. That game STILL gets huge content updates, enough to have filled a sequel.

I don't *HATE* pixelly games, and I understand why one-man dev teams tend to resort to it...it's cheaper to make. But this looks, as someone else said, like Terraria without much of the fun. He's gonna have to put the game on a free weekend if it's to get any traction whatsoever.

News Comments > Warcraft III Job Listing
4. Re: Warcraft III Job Listing Apr 25, 2018, 11:56 HoSpanky

Prez wrote on Apr 25, 2018, 10:47:
A Warcraft 3 remaster is probably as much attention the RTS series is ever going to get from Blizzard sadly. Warcraft 4 will ship when Half-Life 3 does.

The main issue is the storyline, not the genre. WoW is still going, so unless Blizzard wants to RTS-up some of the events in WoW, they'd have to have a completely different set of characters. That...might sell, but it'd probably fly about as well as a Toy Story movie without Woody and Buzz.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Warmind Details Tomorrow
4. Re: Destiny 2 Warmind Details Tomorrow Apr 24, 2018, 10:11 HoSpanky

My wife bought me this for Christmas. I just actually started playing it a couple days ago. I played they the original Destiny, didnít buy any dlc, didnít bother with the raids beyond a couple basic runs.

Iím assuming this will be fun thru the campaign and then Iíll be done with it. The framerate is buttery smooth, the game looks gorgeous, and the gunplay feels solid. Thatís really all I expect of it.

News Comments > Valve Acquires Campo Santo
4. Re: Valve Acquires Campo Santo Apr 22, 2018, 15:45 HoSpanky

Hrm. Firewatch was pretty good for a large portion of it, but the ending was...a letdown. Yes, it's a glorified walking simulator, but I'll be damned if what was happening didn't freak me out. Shame the ending isn't as awesome as the rest of the story, but I think it's meant to be a "the drama we create isn't nearly as exciting as WE think it is" lesson?

Maybe they've taken the criticism of it to heart, and their next game will have a more satisfying ending.

News Comments > Darwin Project Goes Free-to-Play
4. Re: Darwin Project Goes Free-to-Play Apr 21, 2018, 21:37 HoSpanky

bigspender wrote on Apr 21, 2018, 21:14:
cartoon graphics just don't suit the theme of the game imo

This game is pretty obviously made to ride on Fortnite's coattails, so of course the art style is similar.

News Comments > Free Weekend for Croteam VR Games
2. Re: Free Weekend for Croteam VR Games Apr 21, 2018, 14:06 HoSpanky

gsilver wrote on Apr 21, 2018, 13:57:
Oh. Wow. I'm definitely checking those out. As a big fan of both Serious Sam and VR, I've put the games in my cart many times, but never pulled the trigger.

Same here, definitely gonna try The Last Hope, and maybe see if my stomach can handle the ported originals.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Apr 21, 2018, 13:54 HoSpanky

The AMD / Nvidia thing is extremely similar to the current PS4 / Xbox crossplay argument.

Nvidia/Sony are winning handsomely in their respective fields. Their direct competition is angry that the winners arenít willingly opening themselves up to lose customers. Xbone wants crossplay, AMD wants non-proprietary hardware standards and branding. The company on the bottom always wants things to swing in their favor, ignoring that it means forcing the winning party to make changes that will hurt their bottom line.

Do I want open hardware standards? Oh yes. While I have a g-sync monitor and GeForce video card, Iíd much rather be allowed to mix and match. Until very recently, LG didnít make a g-sync monitor, and the one they DO make isnít what I want anyway. If my video card could support Freesync, I could get the Lg monitor I DO want, and itís much cheaper. But the reality is that AMDís video cards canít keep up in the high-end category, and thatís where I play...mostly due to VR being crazy demanding on hardware. If VR wasnít available, Iíd possibly be using team redís hardware.

Nvidiaís apparent demand that a brand be linked to their hardware exclusively doesnít seem illegal. Douchey? Yeah. But they make the best GPUs right now, period. Maybe AMD could put more of their time into developing an actual competitor than bitching about being in second place.

News Comments > Get Satellite Reign for Free
7. Re: Get Satellite Reign for Free Apr 20, 2018, 10:12 HoSpanky

Free is a pretty good price. Got a couple friends to pick it up as well, so even if the game is a bit uneven, co-op makes almost any game way better.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2018, 14:49 HoSpanky

Man, Deadpool 2 does not look like it's gonna disappoint. You always worry when there's something outside the norm that becomes a hit, any sequel is gonna be awful. DP2 *DOES* seem to have a bigger conflict in it. I mean, the first one was entirely about Deadpool refusing to call the antagonist by his super hero name.  

News Comments > Peggle Free on Origin
1. Re: Peggle Free on Origin Apr 18, 2018, 10:25 HoSpanky

The original peggle is kinda low-rez at this point. The game is still fun, but visually itís not looking so hot. But itís free!

Aaaand now im wondering how Critter Crunchís super-professional artwork might hold up at higher than 1080p. Gonna fire that back up tonight and find out.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 16, 2018, 15:04 HoSpanky

Ozmodan wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 12:33:
Too bad it is PS4 exclusive as many of will never bother with it. Just think how good it would play on the Xbox one X. These studios are killing themselves with exclusives, they could make a ton of money not doing so. Stupid is as stupid does.

Exclusives like these sell consoles, which determines what system they buy NON exclusives on. Sony gets a chunk of each game sold. Itís hardly a stupid move. The ps4 is KILLING Microsoft in terms of good exclusive games. My Xbone is a dust collector, while thereís something awesome for the ps4 every couple of months. The one that pushed ME to get a ps4(pro) was Horizon Zero Dawn, and if GoW somehow looks better, that just another ďlook at THISĒ feather in their cap. HZD is fucking spectacular, if you have a ps4 and donít have it, youíre missing out on one of the best games released this generation.

News Comments > Watch Dogs 3 Plans Revealed?
7. Re: Watch Dogs 3 Plans Revealed? Apr 16, 2018, 14:54 HoSpanky

saluk wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 14:20:
wtf_man wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 12:44:
I actually liked the first one, even though a majority of folks seems to disagree.

It was a nice distraction, but I haven't thought about it much since. I had similar feelings about other non-gta open world games, like [prototype] or the whole saints row series.

I disagree about Saints Row...but only ďThe ThirdĒ. It was completely bonkers, and while I didnít CARE about the characters, they were hilarious, and I recommend it to anyone looking for an absurd action game with lots of dumb-but-funny writing. The 4th one felt like a pale shadow of The Third.

News Comments > A Way Out Sells 1M
15. Re: A Way Out Sells 1M Apr 15, 2018, 09:12 HoSpanky

Slick wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 07:58:
Apparently, EA doesn't even make money from this. Yes, you read that right. They recoup all the development costs and then everything after that goes straight to the developer.

That....that doesn't seem like something EA would ever consider doing. Where's the part where they buy the Indie studio, forcing them to make weak sequels until they're no longer profitable, and then dissolve the studio?

News Comments > New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced
19. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 13, 2018, 14:40 HoSpanky

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 12:26:
I've been sitting patiently waiting for the next generation of GPUs to land to build a new computer. My CPU is a i7-4700K, ram is 16 gigs DDR3 and using a 500 gig second generation Intel SSD with a 980 Ti.

Its been working well on everything so far but I'm looking at a full upgrade and the caveat is the next generation from 1080 Ti..

So people that are in the know for processors, how did the new intels versus ryzen fan out and do you see these overtaking?

You wonít see a large jump in gaming performance from upgrading that processor. Iím assuming itís a 4770k, as there doesnít seem to be any 4700k listing. You likely wonít see ANY difference. I went from a 3.2ghz i5 to an i7-4790k (final chip my board supports) and performance didnít change noticeably. Itís gonna be a long while before gaming really beats up your CPU again, with a handful of exceptions, and video card will BY FAR make a bigger difference. Whatever Nvidia releases next, youíd be better off buying the top end card they release than getting a few steps down to afford a new board/CPU/ram.

The lack of progress on CPUs is in your favor! Right now all theyíre doing is making them more power efficient, but thatís not translating into much lower thermals. So frequencies are kinda stuck where they are without getting into large heatsinks or waterblocks. Weíre likely looking at an explosion of core count and better multithreading than higher clocks speeds.

The only reason to upgrade your board/ram/cpu is if you have a buyer for the old stuff, and theyíre buying at near retail. Or if itís a gift to someone, of course. Your ďoldĒ cpu isnít really very far behind the new ones.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Apr 11, 2018, 13:07 HoSpanky

This section should have been called ďradical thingsĒ today.  

News Comments > Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes
12. Re: Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes Apr 11, 2018, 12:42 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 11:58:
Luke wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 11:50:
Lots of bla bla bla but the sheep's keep on using this spyware

And the alternatives are what exactly?

Knowing Lukeís entire posting history involves calling people either sheep or clowns, with literally nothing constructive, he HAS no alternative. He thinks heís smarter than everyone else while using the vocabulary/grammar of a child.

1977 Comments. 99 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo