Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1373 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Jun 19, 2016, 20:52 HoSpanky

Good review, hits on the high points, and doesn't smooth over the bad stuff. I had NO IDEA some people had those sort of issues with the breakout box, mine's worked fine. The cables stay in it, and it doesn't cause the computer any grief about eating USB resources. Shame that people have gotten questionable hardware, I didn't find ANY piece of it to feel sub-par.

As for the games, it's the wild west, and people are trying all sorts of stuff to see what works. His comments on teleporting are spot-on...you THINK it'd destroy immersion, but it really doesn't. Your brain accepts it the same way we accept camera angle changes in films.

He's right, it's NOT consumer-level yet. What it IS, is enthusiast level, and a way for those of us who can afford one to show their friends a glimpse of what's coming.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Quoteworthy: Microsoft on Returning to Steam
4. Re: Quoteworthy: Microsoft on Returning to Steam Jun 18, 2016, 12:45 HoSpanky

Really hoping to be able to buy Forza Horizon 3 on Steam instead of the stupid Microsoft Store. I want the game, but if I can avoid their goofy ass "invisible" games, I will.  

News Comments > Dead Rising 4 Win10 Exclusivity is 90 Days
32. Re: Dead Rising 4 Win10 Exclusivity is 90 Days Jun 17, 2016, 17:25 HoSpanky

ItBurn wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 17:05:
You guys are not good at history.

We're constantly accepting things that are slightly shittier, because it's not so bad, or because most people don't care. Now we have to pay 15$ for a DLC containing a new multiplayer map. Back then, maps were free and you had deep mod tools to make your own. That's ONE example.

That's a pretty terrible example. "Back then", the work involved in building a map was far, far less than it is now, UNLESS you want maps that look like shit. If that's your thing, well, then I'm super sorry for you. The level of polygonal and textural detail we now expect in a single map for a game exceeds what most games had in their entirety, "back then".

News Comments > Dead Rising 4 Win10 Exclusivity is 90 Days
24. Re: Dead Rising 4 Win10 Exclusivity is 90 Days Jun 17, 2016, 15:38 HoSpanky

I really don't understand all the win10 hatred, aside from the overblown "they're spying on us!" shit. It tracks less about you than your phone does, and is a solid OS. I'm not excited about the Microsoft App Store crap, but that's mostly down to UWP games currently being unfriendly to high end tech (no SLI, fullscreen, or G-sync/freesync). Those issues are slowly going away, and if they get their shit straight by the time these games start rolling out, I might actually spend money on their store, specifically for Forza Horizon 3.
The exclusivity thing is a bit annoying, but whatever. It'll show up on steam in no-UWP form after that, and you'll all wait a year for it to be cheap during a steam sale anyway.

Ah, and to those who think you can weasel out of your phone tracking you: you can stop SOME of it, but not everything, same with win10. Really no difference.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Cable STB Compromise Jun 17, 2016, 07:00 HoSpanky

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 00:17:
PHJF wrote on Jun 16, 2016, 22:33:
Ummmm you've been able to use your own modem with Time Warner for, like, ever. Don't know why you think a STB would be a stretch... especially after how successful a little STB named TiVo was.

Exactly. One cable provider in my area wants $11 friggin dollars a box. So in the 70's I could have 5 tv sets playing no additional cost. That would be an extra $55 a month.

You have absolutely no idea how many times people who own their own modem want me to hand them a new one when theirs gets hit by lightning or the wifi stops working. And years ago, I remember dealing with customers about their two-cablecard-tivos, and the massive clusterfuck that was. But hey, let's ignore that and pretend the TiVo thing didn't happen, and that the customer-owned-modem thing doesn't still happen at least once a week.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Jun 16, 2016, 19:40 HoSpanky

couldn't watch the Overwatch bootcamp thing for more than a couple minutes, the guy spends more time clearing his throat than talking. I skipped through it to various areas and INVARIABLY it'd land on him doing it again. voer and friggin over. I dunno if he was sick, or had gone through too many interviews, or was just super nervous, but it was just....unpleasant.

Owlchemy Labs had about the ONLY hour-long presentation I was able to watch, because they actually know how to keep your attention. It was about the things they discovered when making their first VR game, and it's super well done. Also, they don't spend half of it clearing their throats and saying UM.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2016, 19:23 HoSpanky

Happy 29th birthday, MrsBlue!  

News Comments > New Battle.net Authenticator
4. Re: New Battle.net Authenticator Jun 16, 2016, 19:21 HoSpanky

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 16, 2016, 18:39:
I still have the first generation authenticator which was released in TBC. Damn thing is a beast but is starting to show its age and I have to really push hard on that button to give me the code.

Best 6$ I ever spent.

They no longer sell them, if I were you I'd be switching over to a phone-based one sooner than later. There's a recovery code you write down and put somewhere safe, for when you get a new phone. Mine is written down on one of those handy notepads they give you with every physical copy of a game, and is inside my one Collector's Edition of a WoW expansion. It's super unlikely that I'll throw that away.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Cable STB Compromise Jun 16, 2016, 18:50 HoSpanky

This whole thing sucks. I get that people don't want to pay the rental fees, but everyone is only looking at step one here.

Step One: Allow people to buy their own cable boxes, saving them from paying the monthly fees. Hell, let's throw in DVR capability too, because it doesn't matter.

Step Two: Customers go buy the shittiest, barely-functional POS STBs they can find, because they need 6 of them and they can't afford to buy 6 nice ones.

Step Three: Customer is a barely-sentient gorilla who disconnects everything without seeing what it runs to, hooks it up to whatever connectors he thinks it should go to, and when it doesn't work the FIRST time, he calls the manufacturer of the box.

Step Four: Bargain bin manufacturer has no actual tech support, it rings to a third party who acts like they're paying attention to the customer, and then says "Mmm, that sounds like your Cable Company is causing the issue, you need to call them."

Step Five: Customer calls cable company, and conveniently leaves out the part where they bought cable boxes, and convinces the underpaid CSR to send someone out to take a look.

Step Six: Technician comes out to take a look, immediately sees the shitty set top boxes, and tells the customer it's their problem, have a good day, here's your $100 charge for having us come out for something that's not our problem.

Step Seven: Armageddon Gorilla.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 16, 2016, 18:27 HoSpanky

I have a feeling 4k games would be locked at 30 FPS, and those same games would be locked at 30 FPS on the original consoles at 1080p or lower.

If a game came out that allowed for 60 fps on the Scorpio (at 1080p) or 30 on the original, and it was a competitive shooter, people would lose their shit.

News Comments > The Division Underground Details
12. Re: The Division Underground Details Jun 15, 2016, 17:32 HoSpanky

maddog wrote on Jun 15, 2016, 16:58:
My father in law and I were going to start playing this game but now I am worried. We loved Ghost Recon Future Soldier and was hoping for the same style of gameplay.

Does one *need* to go into the dark zone to enjoy and play this game?

We grew tired of the samey gameplay of Warframe and was looking for something new to try.

Any suggestions?

Single player / co-op, The Division is pretty fun for a while. The dark zone is just a pile of bullshit, and you never need to go in there unless you just want to experience it. I got probably 40 hours of fun out of it, altho "samey gameplay" is pretty much what you get in The Division. They really should release the "beta" as a demo of the game, it'd give you a good idea of what it's like.

News Comments > Dead Rising 4 Announced
5. Re: Dead Rising 4 Announced Jun 14, 2016, 19:05 HoSpanky

Scalebound is also coming to PC, and I can't tell if it's gonna be fun or not. It's being made by Platinum Games, who made the Bayonetta titles, so I expect it'll be completely bonkers.

There was a list of games coming to PC at launch, I think 10 or so total.

News Comments > Forza Horizon 3 Windows 10 Confirmed
13. Re: Forza Horizon 3 Windows 10 Confirmed Jun 14, 2016, 16:34 HoSpanky

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 15:52:
I played the 1st one. Honestly rather have Forza 6 full.

Ehh, it's all down to what you like in your games. The Forza numbered series is super dry and I don't find it very engaging. I got F5 with my Xbone and was very disappointed in it. You spend as much time in menus as you do racing, which isn't my idea of a good time. Races in the Horizon games require you to drive to them the first time (can teleport to locations once you've been there). The game world is actually something you explore, it's not just shit on the side of the track.

News Comments > Forza Horizon 3 Windows 10 Confirmed
7. Re: Forza Horizon 3 Windows 10 Confirmed Jun 14, 2016, 12:50 HoSpanky

While I'm not a big fan of the Microsoft store or UWP, the Horizon series is enough to get me to buy a game through it. The girlfriend loves the series as well but we don't have two Xbones. This version claims to have campaign coop, which pretty much guarantees we're buying two copies.  

News Comments > Crackdown 3 for Windows 10
11. Re: Crackdown 3 for Windows 10 Jun 14, 2016, 07:15 HoSpanky

From the videos I've seen, the cloud dependency kicks in when needed, and they showed some extreme cases where they rigged a segment of the city with explosives and had 4 players with overpowered guns running around, it ate up 11 cloud servers to handle the workload. Not sure how often the PC would roll over to cloud servers, but it seems pretty seamless. The question at that point is how much bandwidth does that eat?  

News Comments > Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands in March
4. Re: Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands in March Jun 13, 2016, 22:37 HoSpanky

What, the first comment wasn't "Uplay too bad lulz"?

This...this IS Bluesnews, right? I thought only cranky assholes were on here.

News Comments > Crackdown 3 for Windows 10
6. Re: Crackdown 3 for Windows 10 Jun 13, 2016, 22:17 HoSpanky

Love all the irrational hate for win10. If you're worried about the data collection, guess what? They put all that into win7/8 too. Keep crying while paying zero attention.  

News Comments > Gears of War 4 for Windows 10
6. Re: Gears of War 4 for Windows 10 Jun 13, 2016, 22:14 HoSpanky

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 13, 2016, 21:20:
I don't mind Windows 10, but I can't stand the Windows Store and have no fucking desire to deal with it.

That being said, are we getting the FULL fucking game or just part of the game like with Forza and Halo?

Full game!

News Comments > Serious Sam VR Announced
11. Re: Serious Sam VR Announced Jun 13, 2016, 16:24 HoSpanky

Darks wrote on Jun 13, 2016, 16:08:

And to the dumbass who thinks this new Tech is so fucking brilliant doesn't have clue fucking one. It's a fucking gimmick, and suckers like you suck it up without hesitation.

Oh yes, be sure to copy this directly to Blue's inbox, since he's also one of these "suckers". You are the definition of Internet Moron, making broad statements about something you clearly have no knowledge of. Or is it that you want to feel like you're "resisting the man", or some shit? Do you feel cool?

So tell me, all-seeing eye, what IS "clue fucking one"?

News Comments > Serious Sam VR Announced
7. Re: Serious Sam VR Announced Jun 13, 2016, 15:52 HoSpanky

Darks wrote on Jun 13, 2016, 14:50:
Jagacademy wrote on Jun 13, 2016, 13:13:
Seems like there are a lot of VR games coming out...how many people actually have VR units?

VR is seriously getting out of hand. I personally will not put some stupid VR device on my head and years from now wonder why my eyes are all fucked up like in the movie the Jerk.

And that looks lame as shit, floating weapons? Give me a fucking break!!

Yep, here we go, more people bitching about something they don't understand. The "floating guns" thing is becoming standard because unless people want to strap MORE shit to their arms, the game can't always properly guess your arm location, and IF IT IS WRONG, you will flip the fuck out as your brain tries to figure out why your arms are broken. Also, when you're playing, you DON'T NOTICE the guns are floating.

You and Cutter and everyone else on here who hates technology that's beyond what they can comprehend won't believe me, but whatever. Until you play around with it, you CANNOT understand why it's so incredible. You think that it's just a monitor on your face, and 3D, and so you think that sounds pretty lame and have written it off.

YES, it's true that most VR titles out right now are glorified tech demos. This is literally like having to start all over on game design. They're still working out First Person locomotion, as teleporting doesn't feel right and "sliding along" makes people sick. If someone is given enough visual cues, you can put them on a moving platform, but that again limits what kinds of games that can be done.

But then there are the things that we can do in VR that you CANNOT do on a monitor. You can have swordfights where you actually have to maneuver your sword around their armor, then go explore a dungeon where you may need to physically crouch to get under a swinging blade (Vanishing Realms). There's a bizarre gun fetishist game where reloading actually makes you eject your clip and physically insert a new one...and it doesn't approximate. You need to ACTUALLY get the clip into the gun, not just get it neat the socket (Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades). Shooting gallery games make a lot of sense in VR, so you'll see there are a lot of them popping up.

Also, VR is where "walking simulators" can thrive, as just being in a new environment is thrilling in VR. Sure, you can't slide along without being sick, but teleporting doesn't feel "cheap" in exploration games. You simply point to where you want to look around, click and you're there. If there's no combat, it simply takes the wasted time of moving over there out of it.

Ripping on VR without having tried it makes you just sound bitter. You will compare it to failed technology, because you can't understand why it's so much better than what you have. You're the horse rider, telling everyone the automobile is crap.

1373 Comments. 69 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo