Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1913 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2018, 22:18 HoSpanky

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 19, 2018, 20:42:
RedEye9 wrote on Feb 19, 2018, 19:57:
Thanks, I had used Cinemascore in the past and lost track of that site.
Never heard of the site before -- half a dozen movies later, I don't think I'll be using the service...

Despicable Me got an "A". That movie was so un-funny my wife walked away from the tv about 15 minutes in.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Interviews
6. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 19, 2018, 14:46 HoSpanky

chickenboo wrote on Feb 19, 2018, 13:28:
debating whether or not the Jack In The box Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburger was truly the best cheeseburger.

It's not. JitB finally expanded to my city, and in under a year they closed up their restaurants. Turns out it's not particularly good. I went twice, neither time was impressive.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 15, 2018, 12:23 HoSpanky

Simon Says wrote on Feb 15, 2018, 11:37:
That crypto gaming article... When you get that "you should love me" vibe from your aggressor. Sorry, won't develop Stockholm syndrome.

Exactly. ďOh, sure, this crap has driven video card prices up to the point that literally no one has built a gaming PC in the last several months, but hereís why itís goodĒ. Itís not good. If video card prices came back down, gamers might THEN be willing to listen. Until then, blockchain madness is strangling PC gaming.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 15, 2018, 10:31 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Feb 15, 2018, 10:07:
Wall

Once again we see why reproduction needs to be a state sanctioned event.

Right? I mean, autisic kids are difficult to deal with, and I think some parents are desperate to have normal kids. Theyíd do...anything. I donít think I could deal with it. Iíd resent that kid and likely end up being cruel to it.

News Comments > Sea of Thieves System Requirements
2. Re: Sea of Thieves System Requirements Feb 13, 2018, 10:26 HoSpanky

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 10:21:
So it's Win 10 only? Must be utilizing Direct X 12 to the fullest.

Itís part of the Xbox Crossplay games, so itís win10 by default.

News Comments > Q.U.B.E. 2 Next Month
2. Re: Q.U.B.E. 2 Next Month Feb 12, 2018, 20:20 HoSpanky

so, it's Portal without the portal gun?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2018, 15:04 HoSpanky

Winning ANY size lottery is dangerous, and the huge one she won is crazy dangerous. Her entire extended family would become prime kidnapping targets. Thatís ignoring the massive PITA for her from those same extended relatives expecting to be taken care of, and every charity on earth hounding her.

It sucks. Iíve occasionally wondered if Iíd stay in my neighborhood if I somehow won the lottery. While Iíd happily just replace my house with something a LITTLE bigger and laid out better, if my name was public knowledge, I COULDNíT stay there. If I could keep it a secret? Well, shit yeah. Iíd tear the house down, tell my neighbors the new house was paid for by insurance due to some mold or something. Start a fake mortgage company and buy up my family/friendsí mortgages one at a time.

As for the crayfish, I assume itíll drop the price of them to restaurants. Thereís a couple Cajun places here that would benefit hugely from that. No mention in the article if thereís any downside, like ďthey taste awfulĒ, or ďtheyíre borderline poisonousĒ. It focuses entirely on people keeping them as pets, as if THATís the crayfishís prime fate.

News Comments > EA versus Battlefield 1 Cheaters
12. Re: EA versus Battlefield 1 Cheaters Feb 6, 2018, 13:17 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Feb 6, 2018, 13:07:
Why do FPS' waste so much time and money on all this nonsense when the solution is simple?

Because they canít control DLC/loot boxes, where they make a KILLING, if they offer player run servers. You know that.

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 5, 2018, 11:19 HoSpanky

Watched the Cloverfield Paradox last night when it was released...it's a trainwreck. Oddly, it's quite watchable, but the plot is horribly broken. Bad things happen for no reason, EVERYTHING that goes wrong is just another "space time anomaly", no matter how ridiculous it is. Each weird thing feels like a completely separate movie idea that MIGHT have a convoluted explanation, but not IF the other things happen too.
The acting is quite good, and the effects are top-class, but that's because it was originally going to theaters. It's certainly very neat while it's happening but doesn't stand up to even a tiny bit of scrutiny. Its link to the Cloverfield series is pretty tenuous, and apparently that was added in last minute. Supposedly, it was added in last minute to 10 Cloverfield Lane as well, but THAT movie was rock fucking solid.

News Comments > Jess Cliffe Arrest Details
10. Re: Jess Cliffe Arrest Details Feb 3, 2018, 17:09 HoSpanky

Shmee wrote on Feb 3, 2018, 14:41:
Yes you can. Minors cannot sign waivers, so it is up to a person to make sure of their sexual partner's age, so this is totally on Cliffe.

This feels...absurd. She lies, and HE's in trouble for it? That's so amazingly broken. What if he'd asked for ID, and she produced a fake? Is he supposed to know how to spot a fake ID?

The only thing in this trial that isn't related to her age is the non-consentual filming. And if she lied about her age, who's to say she wasn't ok with the filming AT THE TIME, and is now saying she wasn't? I think the whole #metoo thing has made me EXTREMELY skeptical of women claiming lack of consent.

News Comments > Cortex Command Free on Steam
2. Re: Cortex Command Free on Steam Feb 2, 2018, 19:44 HoSpanky

I think this is a free weekend deal, as it still allows you to buy the game for $20. I guess we'll see what it does come Monday.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 2, 2018, 12:55 HoSpanky

My question is why are farmers even buying these tractors anymore?  

News Comments > Valve's Cliffe Arrested; Suspended
2. Re: Valve's Cliffe Arrested; Suspended Feb 2, 2018, 10:27 HoSpanky

So heís been arrested for something that might be vaguely child-exploitative, and hasnít been charged with any crime. Thatís some truly unimpressive reporting by that ďnewsĒ channel.  

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 31, 2018, 15:42 HoSpanky

$11? Or $11 million? The article doesnít actually clarify.  

News Comments > Are "Let's Play" Streams Legal?
43. Re: Are Jan 29, 2018, 13:34 HoSpanky

headkase wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 13:13:
No one bit on what I posted previously.

In terms of fair use there is a property of "transformative".

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/fair-use-what-transformative.html

If the act of playing the game, and it is to be decided by an eventual trial, is "transformative" of the game then it may be fair use.

Again, itís a game-by-game issue here. Watching someone play Overcooked with their friends is very different from watching someone play INSIDE. In one, the gameplay ITSELF is the primary, and only, driving force. In the other, uncovering whatís going on and seeing the result of figuring out a puzzle is the driving force, and thereís no gain from repeating it. Game cutscenes are always the same, and a streamer changes nothing in them.

Someone else dragged out the tired ďbut some people never would have paid for it anywayĒ argument. Taking a product you didnít purchase is called theft when applied to any physical object. Sneaking into a theater or concert you dont have a ticket for is theft. Just because games happen to be a medium where they can be infinitely copied doesnít mean accessing it when you didnít pay for it isnít theft. People decide what they want to spend their money on, and games are relatively cheap. Thereís no excuse, just weak ways of saying ďI want it but donít want to pay for itĒ. Guess what, thatís how the world works. Itís a horseshit rationalization and we all know it.

39. Re: Are Jan 29, 2018, 13:07 HoSpanky

panbient wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 12:39:
Darks wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 12:30:

Again, you are delusional, you clearly dont have a fricking clue about what your talking about. Your just interjecting your opinion about this. You have no facts to back your opinion.

Neither do you.

A single anecdote about a single product does not demonstrate objective market behaviour.

Iím gonna grab this as cutting down a long pile of responses is time consuming on a phone. Darksí anecdote refers to a multiplayer game, which I wholly agree with...and Iím less concerned about big publishers and someone trying to post a playghru or the Wild Hunt. There are quite a few short games that would absolutely lose sales to playthrough videos. I will admit I have NO DATA on developer gain/loss on this, but a game like Gone Home is easily ruined by watching a playthrough. There would be no reason for someone to purchase the game after watching someone else play it. Same with INSIDE, which is incredible, but extremely linear. Both games are made by small teams where every sale matters.

This isnít an issue solved by a blanket statement about how ALL streams should be dealt with. Games are a wildly varied medium, which is a big reason we love them. Certain game types simply shouldnít be streamed, at least not in their entirety. Other game types see nothing but gain for their devs from streams. I absolutely think streamers are a valuable part of the gaming economy, but there needs to be restraint when it comes to certain material.

27. Re: Are Jan 29, 2018, 12:16 HoSpanky

Darks wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 12:02:
HoSpanky wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 11:18:
Iím a bit split on this:

For single player, story-driven games, they can be devastating to sales. Why buy an adventure game when you can watch the story, and avoid the downtime of dying or getting narratively ďstuckĒ?

To make matters less altruistic, keep in mind that some streamers make shocking amounts of money, and their video content is almost entirely provided by the games they play. The people who MADE that content should be getting a cut of that, especially when itís a single player game where the video undoubtedtly cannibalizes sales.

The excuse of ďbut I never would have paid to play that gameĒ is a weak one...yes you would, the price just hadnít dropped to your tipping point yet. But if you watch a play through of it, thereís no incentive for you to EVER purchase the game. Again, this assumes single player, story-driven.

You gotta be kidding me with this dribble right? Your seriously going to sit there and call out streamers for steaming SP content?

Get over it, many people just like to watch gamers play the games. There is nothing wrong with that. Nor should anyone come down on these guys for it.

There are a lot of people out there that are unable to play many of these games for whatever reasons. If they choose to watch someone play a game, they more power to them.

But dont sit there and say this is wrong, when its not. Your basically calling those who watch streamer pirates. And thats bullshit.

And by the way, many of these people who watch these streams are also gauging the game like a demo to see if its even worth a shit to buy. You are completely delusional about your view about this. As for the NFL comment, theirs a big difference when your re-broad casting a TV show or sports event.

If a streamer isnít making money off of their broadcast, itíd be a different story. But the bigger streamers make ridiculous money. If half of what they made for a particular video went to the developers, well, thatíd probably solve any worries development houses have. Havenít heard of any streamers sending money to the companies whose games they play, though.

In the end, streaming sites like twitch and YouTube will automatically collect a portion of the money earned from advertising/donations and send it to the publisher/developer of whatever title is featured. Itíll take a few years for it to all get ironed out, but thatís how this ends. IMO, thatíd only be the proper way to do it for single player story games. For multiplayer games, the streamer could probably bargain for all income generated, depending on their exposure.

23. Re: Are Jan 29, 2018, 12:01 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 11:49:
Wait a second here. As gamers we've always felt that we own the game and can use it as we wish, resell it, etc. Much like any other object. The pubs on the other hand have always tried to claim that it was just a license to use their product. So either way it would seem to me that you have a right to stream because the company has been paid, otherwise that gets into double dipping. They can't have it both ways.

You paid for your tv service, so you should be able to rebroadcast those NFL games any way you see fit, yeah? Especially if you put your own commentary over the top, that makes it something wholly original, yeah? You think the NFL wouldnít sue you into oblivion if they found you making millions of dollars off of doing that?

You never, ever owned a game. You always owned a license.

I think the entire argument leans heavily on the multiplayer/single player aspect. If a game is multiplayer, publishers only stand to gain from streamers playing their title. Single player games, especially heavily linear ones like Uncharted/Tomb Raider, would lose sales to full playthroughs. One level? Sure, thatís essentially watching someone play a demo. But if they have the entire game streamed...thatís the difference between a movie trailer and the whole goddamn movie.

16. Re: Are Jan 29, 2018, 11:33 HoSpanky

Oops double post.  

15. Re: Are Jan 29, 2018, 11:32 HoSpanky

SimplyMonk wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 11:27:
HoSpanky wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 11:18:
To make matters less altruistic, keep in mind that some streamers make shocking amounts of money, and their video content is almost entirely provided by the games they play. The people who MADE that content should be getting a cut of that, especially when itís a single player game where the video undoubtedtly cannibalizes sales.

This is kinda a double-edged sword though. You start issuing DMCA take down notices and there could be some sizable backlash from the larger streamer communities. Nintendo learned this the hard way with their initial policy of DMCA everything under the sun, but their games aren't strictly single player narrative so it really hurt them more than helped them.

Oh, I agree, but those streamer communities seem to completely ignore that the streamer would have no content if it wasnít for the games they play. For single player games, itís an INCH away from posting a movie online and saying itís original content because the person posting does a running commentary over the top. We all know that shit doesnít fly.

1913 Comments. 96 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo