Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1657 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 3, 2017, 13:32 HoSpanky

You mean they don't think they need a massive PR disaster in the form of a massively overpromised game? You don't say.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > April Foolin' 2017
15. Re: April Foolin' 2017 Apr 1, 2017, 23:27 HoSpanky

Adult Swim decided to spend the evening with the Rick and Morty season 3 premiere on loop.  

News Comments > April Foolin' 2017
9. Re: April Foolin' 2017 Apr 1, 2017, 16:36 HoSpanky

I would totally buy that FE thumb drive from Nvidia. It looks so damn nice.

Ms PAC MAN isn't fake, it totally works! Works best with actual neighborhoods, not so well on highways.

Will need to locate this year's ridiculous WoW patch notes. Always fun.

News Comments > VR Downward Spiral: Prologue
3. Re: VR Downward Spiral: Prologue Mar 31, 2017, 15:17 HoSpanky

Yeah, apparently it's 15 minutes long. This crap doesn't really deserve a "release notice", as it's clearly a tech demo, like so so many VR titles on Steam. The best two VR titles on steam still are free: The Lab and RecRoom. Hell, RecRoom is a fan-fucking-tastic multiplayer setting. Paintball is, by far, the best thing in it, although disc golf is surprisingly fun.

Also cloudlands mini golf, as the seamless multiplayer and shockingly awesome level editor make it worth buying.

Sadly, these three games just don't justify purchasing a VR headset.

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Free Weekend
3. Re: Titanfall 2 Free Weekend Mar 31, 2017, 10:27 HoSpanky

At $30, it's a great campaign to play through. It's not terribly long, but holy CRAP it's packed end to end with big, fun set pieces. It's pretty close to Bulletstorm's wild variety.  

News Comments > HTC Adding Eye Tracking VIVE Ads
1. Re: HTC Adding Eye Tracking VIVE Ads Mar 31, 2017, 10:22 HoSpanky

This isn't eye tracking, it's head tracking. The Vive has no capacity to track focus. With the huge benefits it offers, the NEXT Vive likely will, and along with foveated rendering, to allow for some rather huge performance gains. Possibly large enough gains to offset an increase in resolution.  

News Comments > The Witcher Sells 25M Copies
9. Re: The Witcher Sells 25M Copies Mar 30, 2017, 12:00 HoSpanky

Every time I see a Witcher post, I remember that I still haven't picked up the expansions. Steam has the GOTY edition with both of them for a little under what they cost standalone, but my copy is on GOG. Not that I'd complain about being able to run it on Steam.

I hear good things about the expansions, but good GOD the base game was CRAZY huge, and eventually I stopped doing all the side quests and zeroed in on the main story instead. I know I missed out on a bunch of side stuff, there are some embarrassingly large areas of unexplored land left. I WANT to go back, but then HZD came out. And now BotW. Sometimes I really miss the days when there was only one or two big games per year, and I'd have time to really dig into them.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Mar 27, 2017, 13:24 HoSpanky

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 27, 2017, 11:08:
Verno wrote on Mar 27, 2017, 11:00:
Gamestop being a giant pile of shit with terrible prices probably also had something to do with it.
bingo

That certainly appears in line with their pricing. Also, funny as shit.

News Comments > StarCraft Remastered Announced; Original Game Going Free
4. Re: StarCraft Remastered Announced; Original Game Going Free Mar 26, 2017, 13:14 HoSpanky

Oddly, while the individual units look better, the higher resolution steals the per-pixel gorgeousness of the original, making it look like a cheap Flash game. It's why I'm glad the older Mario games haven't been made over like this.  

News Comments > World of Warcraft EU Price Increases
8. Re: World of Warcraft EU Price Increases Mar 24, 2017, 18:01 HoSpanky

Omni wrote on Mar 24, 2017, 17:41:
Darks wrote on Mar 24, 2017, 13:19:

Asking Blizz to do that would be like asking them to cut off one of their arms. This is why I rarely support Blizz anymore. They are just to greedy anymore.

Indeed those services should be free with limited amount of use.

I agree, limited use cases SHOULD be free. I always thought the cost was a penalty designed against people trying to keep a high level character after they burned some bridges on their server. But the change in price here kills that theory.

As for lowering their game prices...Bilzzard earns their premium prices, mostly. The length of time they support a title is unbelievable, and their software is reliable. Not the most efficient, and their tech is usually a bit behind the curve, but their games just WORK. There are very few developers with a track record even CLOSE to theirs. Whether or not you like their games isn't my point here, it's whether or not their high prices are justified. About the ONLY other company that makes "sure thing" games is Naughty Dog.

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 22, 2017, 14:37 HoSpanky

It's not a game, as much as it's an "experience". It leads you through a few activities and then it's done, much like The Martian experience.

Although today, an actual GAME is now available for Vive/motion controls: Obduction. I'm waiting to read impressions on their forums before picking it up, especially since they didn't do the usual sale price that most games do when major patches come out. The game ITSELF is considered awesome, I'm just curious how they did the controls. Another VR game similar to it, The Assembly, apparently just use the motion controls as laser pointers, there's no feeling of actual interaction. I'm not interested in a halfass implementation, especially if they want me to pay full price.

News Comments > Vulkan Multi-GPU Support for Windows
8. Re: Vulkan Multi-GPU Support for Windows Mar 22, 2017, 14:32 HoSpanky

This would be super interesting news if devs would actually DO something with it, but even when it's been made comparatively easy (like VR SLI), no one implements it.

I used to be hardcore SLI, always binding a pair of midrange cards together. Now I buy single, badass cards, since SLI support has dwindled down to effectively nonexistent in the last three years. I'm definitely not the only one, and all that does is drop the number of SLI owners down, lowering the value to devs. Oh sure, a game here or there will support it, but they're rare, and even rarer that it's a game I give a shit about. Or, like Far Cry, proper support shows up 6 months after the game comes out.

I think SLI still has a place, especially when it comes to VR, but so far, devs just don't think it's worth bothering with.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Mar 19, 2017, 14:28 HoSpanky

Creston wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 12:24:
"Lawmakers, in need of money yet again, threaten airline industry, await bribes."

Haha, love it! I have no doubt that's one possible goal for this bill. Personally, I'd rather have more space between the seats so I don't have to be pressed right up against the fat sweaty fuck who didn't shower all weekend. I AM ALL FOR making huge people pay for multiple seats if they're the size of two normal humans. I HATE that they never believe they should, and try to squeeze their behemoth ass into a normal sized seat, spilling over ONTO me.

News Comments > Star Citizen Swapping DX12 for Vulkan
9. Re: Star Citizen Swapping DX12 for Vulkan Mar 19, 2017, 12:21 HoSpanky

Came in here expecting to see everyone saying "yeah, fuck windows 10" and ignoring the obvious "it's more work than expected and has delayed the game another 6 months" that they'll post when pressured on release dates.

Was pleasantly surprised that this thread is focused on the delay tactic. I feel bad for the people who got excited about the game initially and put money into it. Anyone STILL doing so is a fool.

News Comments > MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs?
28. Re: MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs? Mar 16, 2017, 16:56 HoSpanky

I've got no hate for win10. I don't have any ads, unless they're showing up in places I don't go, which would be a rather stupid place to put them. It runs great, the ONLY issue I had with it was when I first installed it and had a pair of 970s, it saw them as a single 8gb card, and refused to believe otherwise. Disabling one let me install the drivers, and then re-enabling the second one worked as expected. SLI is dead anymore, so those 970s have new homes and have been replace with a single 1080.

Rambling! Point is, Microsoft does NOT want to keep supporting their old OS', and honestly that's their choice to not support new hardware. I'm sure Nvidia/AMD would LOOOOVE to only have to write one set of drivers, but neither one wants to be the first to say "this card only supported under Windows 10", because gamers want the latest and greatest, except when they don't because oh noes spying on me/ads, let me complain about it on my smartphone.

News Comments > Game Reviews
10. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2017, 12:52 HoSpanky

Man, I really hope this is "early dev cycle" work and not indicative of the whole game.

I'm finishing up H:ZD, and not once has it disappointed. Yes, you will be doing your fair share of scanning (similar to Witcher sight) and following trails, and it feels very Mass-Effecty when you're in conversations, but the story constantly surprises, and side missions are fantastically well done. The ONLY one that was a fetch quest ("get me 9 of this and 6 of that!") sneaks an interesting bit of lore into it about one of the mech types, AND the stuff you get rolls into a secondary mission where you get to play with a ridiculously OP weapon. You don't get to keep it, sadly, but it's riotously fun to use for the 3 minutes or so that it works. Each side quest is unique, and expands your knowledge of the world the game takes place in. The devs clearly made sure you never feel like your time is being wasted, while ME:A seems like they're intentionally wasting time.

With BotW and H:ZD both being game design masterpieces, I think ME:A is looking less impressive just by comparison. It may turn out to be a decent space romp! This preview certainly isn't looking promising, though.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
23. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 13, 2017, 15:46 HoSpanky

descender wrote on Mar 13, 2017, 12:17:
If I paid any amount of money for Windows 10 I might be upset... but I didn't, so I'm not whining that a free OS came with a few ads (which I must have inadvertently disabled because... no fuckin ads here).

That glass house won't stand for long. There's not much worse than people whining about something completely optional that they were given for free.

Ok so I haven't seen these ads either, and I don't recall disabling more than a handful of things when I first installed Win10. And yeah, it's free (and still is, if you're willing to tell Microsoft you have an unspecific disability), and works pretty well. I'm having a hard time complaining about it, aside from that 1.5 second wait between pressing a button and being able to log in. STILL super annoying.

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 13, 2017, 15:30 HoSpanky

Ozmodan wrote on Mar 13, 2017, 15:25:
Verno wrote on Mar 13, 2017, 11:57:
Zelda is the only Switch game that is worth buying anyway

Exactly. If you have a Wii-u you can just buy the game as it runs and looks the same.

It's Switch's only game that I want, and I have a Wii U, so I'm fine. I AM going to buy mine from the online store, as the disc version apparently has issues streaming data reliably in areas with multiple NPCs.

As for the article, I was able to read half of it before one of their ads hijacked my phone's browser ("congratulations! You're the 1 millionth visitor!"). I TRY to not block ads, especially on blues, but I'm always punished for it. What do website operators EXPECT when that shit keeps happening?

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
16. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 12, 2017, 10:21 HoSpanky

Let's not forget that most games still aren't particularly multi-thread friendly. The games that I see hitting performance walls on my machine are doing so with a single CPU core maxed out. Throwing more cores at that won't solve anything. Oh sure, game devs *should* code their games to be more multi-core-friendly, but good luck getting already-completed games rebuilt.
When benchmarks came out, Ryzen's single core performance versus Intel was pretty sad, and no scheduler bug is responsible for that. I'm not really in the market for a new processor yet, but currently it's still looking like Intel's gonna get my money.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
3. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Mar 11, 2017, 15:40 HoSpanky

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 11, 2017, 13:40:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 11, 2017, 13:16:
I'm all for safer robots but i wonder why the robot wasn't disconnected from the power grid for repair.
Death was preferable to watching this Lock Out Tag Out safety training video.

Holy shit RedEye, we just had to watch our company's version of that. Blaaargh.

Still, In an assembly plant, multiple robots work in unison, and it may be difficult to determine which one is going to become a problem when repairing another. The entire section of the assembly line should have been shut down. The entire case will hinge on whether or not she knew that and ignored it.

1657 Comments. 83 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo