Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1303 (Pro)
User ID 15603
User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 25, 2016, 20:54 HoSpanky
My Vive showed up today. Gave me fits getting it set up on my secondary machine. Long story short, just because the valve test says your system cuts it...don't get TOO close to that line. I was on a 3.6 ghz AMD chip, it does NOT do the job. Switched to my main rig, which has my other 970 (I killed my SLI for the second machine). The only difference is a newer mobo and a 4ghz i7. Butter smooth.

VR eats a LOT of CPU time. Be prepared.

Also, The Lab is currently the best thing to show your friends on it so far. It's graphically MILES above everything else, and looks utterly convincing in some areas. And it's free!

I only have a 2.2m X 2.7m area to play in, and the Chaperone pops up a LOT. It's unfortunate, and I wish there was a way to lower the distance it reacts at. Yes, it's somewhat low-Rez, but nowhere near as bad as I assumed it was going to be. Peripheral vision is unfortunately blurry, but you get used to looking straight ahead.

All in all, I'm thrilled with it, aside from not running right on my intended rig for it.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Rocket League Free Weekend
6. Re: Rocket League Free Weekend Apr 22, 2016, 13:49 HoSpanky
If you've got friends who have it, this game is a riot.  
News Comments > Don't Starve Together Released
2. Re: Don't Starve Together Released Apr 21, 2016, 22:15 HoSpanky
The Half Elf wrote on Apr 21, 2016, 20:27:

I don't recall if that's an option. Probably. This post basically reminded me that the game exists, prolly play it tomorrow with the gf. She's played the base game quite a bit and I'm 99% helpless still, we'd manage maybe 3 or 4 nights max, usually with me dying super early and her wasting way too much time trying to resurrect me.

I don't see random online play resorting straight to murdering each other, but it's entirely possible one person will accidentally piss off some demon dogs that then chase them back to camp and tear everyone apart in seconds.

I've never done that.
News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 20, 2016, 16:00 HoSpanky
Seriously, this guy went the WRONG direction with this. I'd MAYBE understand if someone had said "I'm suicidal and you're my only hope" (to a streamer), but saying he was part of him NOT killing himself should have only been met with a "Oh wow, thanks! I had no idea anything I did had that level of effect on anyone!".

Unfortunately, people abuse "depression" more than people abuse the word "rape", and have made it something no one cares about because everyone claims to have it. I personally don't understand it, but I imagine it's like the days I just can't bother to give a shit, but the part 10 minutes later where I realize I have to nut up and be an adult never happens.

Some days I wonder if all these depressed people were coddled through their 'teens by their parents, and when reality was finally allowed to come knocking, they're terrified to answer.

In any case, that guy did the wrong thing, and went all-in on his very wrong decision. And it actually bit him in the ass, so that happened.
News Comments > Battlezone 98 Redux Released
2. Re: Battlezone 98 Redux Released Apr 18, 2016, 22:17 HoSpanky the asking price of $20, the "graphical upgrade" looks VERY minimal. All the units are still super low-poly, and the textures are a minor improvement. It looks like maybe there's a little difference in the lighting engine.

I loved Battlezone. But this feels like they did a minor upgrade, added Steam Workshop support, and assume someone else will do the heavy visual makeover.
News Comments > DOOM Open Beta Extended
28. Re: DOOM Open Beta Extended Apr 18, 2016, 09:08 HoSpanky
I couldn't get past the smeary look of the game. Like it was rendered at 480p and up scaled to 1440p. I'm betting it's largely the shitty AA they force you to use, but there's no way to turn it off to check. You literally cannot get a good look at anything in the game, it's all slightly out of focus.  
News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Apr 17, 2016, 14:03 HoSpanky
So, the article is St. John saying "you should totally stop complaining that you're working insane hours, and not getting paid overtime for it, or anything at all, for that matter."

You should just be happy that you can make games, whether or not you like the game you're making or if you can afford to live.
News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Apr 16, 2016, 22:14 HoSpanky
Pigeon wrote on Apr 16, 2016, 13:54:
Fantaz wrote on Apr 16, 2016, 13:50:
it would probably be silly to buy a new video card at this point now with the new ones coming out really soon (Pascal, etc.)

Even if you don't care about having the latest tech, once pascal comes out there will likely be some deep discounts on the 970 and 980(ti).

It never seems like it's nearly as good of a discount as you'd expect, which is what they're going for...they want you to buy the newest cards.
News Comments > RDR2 Map Leaked?
2. Re: RDR2 Map Leaked? Apr 16, 2016, 12:16 HoSpanky
I have RDR for the PS3 here....never fired it up. I realize that's apparently some sort of cardinal gaming sin, but out of the marketing material or videos I've watched, or watching a co-worker play it for about half an hour...I've felt no urge to play it.  
News Comments > DOOM Open Beta Opens
21. Re: DOOM Open Beta Opens Apr 15, 2016, 16:04 HoSpanky
So, the game is locked at 60, unless you're running SLI, in which case it runs at 28fps. Also, it refuses to remember what resolution you set it to, but PRETENDS it does, so it'll say 1440p while actually running at 1080p.

Once you convince it to run at 1440p, on one card, it'll run sorta smoothly. Turn off the insane motion blur, then marvel at forced FSAA, making the already muddy brownness even more muddy. There's literally nothing here that couldn't be done on a fucking 360. I realize some of my issues with it will be ironed out by launch, but they can't suddenly replace the art with something that actually looks good. They have a clear hatred for sharp, defined textures, or anything that isn't brown.
News Comments > Ghostbusters Games Announced
20. Re: Ghostbuster there's nothing here thats Games Announced Apr 15, 2016, 15:34 HoSpanky
I'd hate on the movie a WHOLE LOT less if they didn't basically say "Yeah, those first two movies didn't happen, and here's the trailer for why this one's so goddamn good that it 'replaces' the original."

A LOT of hatred would have been culled if they'd just made this a separate branch of Ghostbusters, but nope. The director said they went with "starting over" because that way they'd have people scared of the ghosts, instead of "oh yeah, this already happened". Simple solution: after the first movie ended, ghosts stopped being a problem. Ghostbusters falters and they all quit because there's no work. Thirty years later, the people who DO remember have moved away, or convinced themselves it was all just a crazy hoax or nightmare. New Busters come in, find the old, non-functional equipment abandoned, rebuild it better than before (so as not to lose the "girls can think too!" they're clearly going for), and off they go.

But no, they felt they had to start all over, yet carbon-copy shit from the first one (library ghost, hearse, SAME FUCKING BUILDING). That, along with the meh trailer, doesn't look like anything I care about seeing.
News Comments > Everybody's Gone to the Rapture Released
7. Re: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture Released Apr 15, 2016, 09:14 HoSpanky
I wouldn't call these "games", but as an interactive experience, you at least get the feeling of discovering things instead of being fed them like in a tv show. They're once-and-done things, but I can see the appeal. I see a flood of VR versions of this style of game coming, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.  
News Comments > Into the Black
11. Re: Into the Black Apr 14, 2016, 22:10 HoSpanky
I will admit to being wowed by Avatar when it came out. The 3D in it is gorgeous, and the Navi look shockingly convincing. The script, unfortunately, didn't get nearly as much attention.

I'm torn on this. On ONE hand, it will undoubtedly be a technical marvel. For that alone, I'll probably see at least the first one of the new movies. On the other hand, it's likely going to be an even SHITTIER plot, which is frustrating. It's why I haven't gotten around to the third Hobbit movie, the first two were garbage, especially the second one. I can't imagine the third will be any less packed with filler.

As for True Lies and The Abyss...I hadn't bothered to see if there was a Blu-Ray version of them, and apparently, there isn't. The Abyss is one of my favorite movies ever, and True Lies is Arnie's finest (and funniest) film.
News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 14, 2016, 12:22 HoSpanky
I've said for years that they should have a vanilla server or two that they activate a couple months after the final content drops for their current expansion. My girlfriend didn't play before Cata, and has no legal way to check out all the zones before they were altered. She never saw when the difference between Frost and Arcane meant gathering completely different gear, and meant that toon would be near completely ineffective during some boss fights, and a wrecking ball in others.

They can offer the servers with a disclaimer that they won't get patched, that their characters can't be transferred, and that their AH may be disabled. I think the people who just wanted to see what it was like would be thrilled with the opportunity.
News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Apr 12, 2016, 22:47 HoSpanky
Good lord, that's cheap for the darksiders games. If you've never played them, grab them both. The first one is, IMO, the better of the two, but that's probably because the second one has a massive boner for repetitive black and purple landscapes. They're very much Zelda games with God of War combat. Gamepad highly recommended.  
News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 10, 2016, 22:54 HoSpanky
Oh Shit, I'm sorry, I thought this was someone else:

Cutter wrote on Apr 8, 2016, 19:14:
"Only purchase items in sustainable packaging."

Sorry, Jeff, but we're not all famous multi-millionaires who can afford to do that. If you can replace plastic with something sustainable that's as cheap, cool, until then shut up., no, that WAS you. I'm not going to go hunting for quotes from you complaining that cutting-edge hardware is too expensive, because that can be found daily on this site.

But man, you apparently CANNOT spend too much on some motherfucking hand-crafted soaps.
News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 10, 2016, 14:50 HoSpanky
Cutter wrote on Apr 10, 2016, 13:17:
And this is why you use artisan handmade soaps. Not only do they clean well, they're good for the skin, and promote skin health. Healthy skin naturally defends against bacteria. It's not rocket surgery. I make my own soap, toothpaste, household cleaners, etc. It's not difficult, it's economical, it's safe for you, it's good good for the environment. Stop buying all this poison from the massive corps that don't care about anything but the bottom line.

I love that the guy who complains about everything being too expensive is advocating buying artisan soaps.
News Comments > Into the Black
8. Re: Into the Black Apr 9, 2016, 08:00 HoSpanky
bigspender wrote on Apr 9, 2016, 04:25:
It's such a simple solution, someone just has to invent a car that runs on plastic and turns into clean water. EASY right?

Somewhere, Elan Musk sensed your comment and has set a team of engineers to the task.
News Comments > All Heroes of the Storm Free Weekend
1. Re: All Heroes of the Storm Free Weekend Apr 9, 2016, 07:54 HoSpanky
So what this has caused is that you join games with people playing the weird characters, and they have no clue HOW to play them. Every game I played, someone was the Lost Vikings, and two of them were always doing nothing. Also had an abathur in one of the fights, never saw his squid hat on any teammates. Thankfully the "play anyone" option ends well before the bonus XP does.  
News Comments > Blizzard Stops Private WoW Server
1. Re: Blizzard Stops Private WoW Server Apr 7, 2016, 10:33 HoSpanky
There are a bunch of these. Blizz wants to combat it? Make a couple official servers that run vanilla. It's such a different game, and it'd be useful for keeping people around late in the expansion cycle.  
1303 Comments. 66 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

Blue's News logo