Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1870 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 30, 2018, 10:13 HoSpanky

So, SLI/crossfire may be all but dead for mainstream gaming, but one place it has a potentially bright future is VR. Each frame has to be rendered twice, and sending that to two separate cards could nearly double the framerate. The ONLY step required after that is to stitch them together before shooting it to the headset (where, because the PC headsets are technically two monitors, itís presumably split again).

Honestly, Iím shocked that most VR games, especially the prettier ones, donít use SLI. Even the mighty 1080ti struggles to run moderately demanding games. Keep in mind itís being asked to render 180 total frames per second, usually supersampled well above the native resolution. Early adopters of VR arenít afraid to spend money on making everything work the best it can, so if SLI was an option in even a handful of titles that are popular but struggle to run fluidly...Iím pretty sure a LOT of Vr users would pop a second card in. I have two gaming rigs, one specifically for VR. But itís not a coincidence that both machines have a 1080 in them. If titles start using SLI regularly, the non-Vr machine will get a new card and the Vr rig will have a pair of 1080s to throw at its task.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
2. Re: Saturday Interviews Jun 30, 2018, 09:53 HoSpanky

Ozmodan wrote on Jun 30, 2018, 09:08:
Funny a game where you mindlessly kill zombie after zombie is inspired by games where your actions matter. Give me a break.

Hey now, they were INSPIRED. It doesnít mean they actually did anything with that inspiration.

ďMan, Witcher 3 is amazing! Every single quest in it has a story, and if you poke around, you might even find more of that story that they donít blatantly point out! Sure wish we could do that, but itíd take effort. Oh well!Ē

Edit: welp, I feel silly. I mistook this for State of Decay 2, which is already released and reviewed as ďmehĒ. So maybe DL2 WILL be an amazing open world game with choices that matter. I never played the original Dying Light, but Iíve read that itís fantastic. Might drop some money on it, the steam sale IS on...

News Comments > The Crew 2 Launches
13. Re: The Crew 2 Launches Jun 29, 2018, 19:25 HoSpanky

I was amused that Polygonís review at one point just says play Forza Horizon 3 instead.

Edit: And PC Gamer's.

This comment was edited on Jun 29, 2018, 21:41.

News Comments > Shenmue 3 System Specs
1. Re: Shenmue 3 System Specs Jun 28, 2018, 22:02 HoSpanky

100 gb of space!

Still doesn't quite catch up to Forza 7 or Gears of War 4, but dayum, if this is the "new norm", I only have room for like 10 games on my ssd.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
12. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 28, 2018, 17:21 HoSpanky

Drazula wrote on Jun 28, 2018, 13:13:
Amazon delivering their own packages... that is a big "screw you" to Trump!

Yep. Basically, if heís gonna try to force the USPS to raise rates for no real reason other than ďmy buddiesí businesses that havenít changed since before the Internet are complaining that Amazon has found a better way to do thingsĒ, theyíre just going to make their own delivery service and the postal service is going to lose a MASSIVE income generator.

News Comments > PUBG Drops Fortnite Lawsuit
4. Re: PUBG Drops Fortnite Lawsuit Jun 27, 2018, 11:57 HoSpanky

Rhett wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 11:16:
Aww, I was really looking forward to this!

Yeah, me too. I assume they finally looked into similar cases and found none of them ever won, and thought maybe this wasnít the best idea.

Itís not like they arenít making a fuckton of money anyway. How much did they waste on coming up with this stupid lawsuit?

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
6. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jun 27, 2018, 10:58 HoSpanky

The title of the article even leaves what happened ambiguous, so as to make it appear the game killed him. Fucking absurd.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 26, 2018, 07:02 HoSpanky

Iíd be SO pissed if my monitor wasnít able to run at native resolution. Especially a pricey 1440p monitor.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: The Church of VR Jun 25, 2018, 09:51 HoSpanky

Kxmode wrote on Jun 25, 2018, 02:28:
VR is such an epic fad that not even the makers of these things can see it. I'm convinced VR's "killerapp" isn't a big catalog or placing them in Libraries. The killerapp is the cost. If they want a lot of people to adopt the things they need to make them budget friendly.

Thatíll come in time. When LCD TVs first came out, very few could afford them. By the time most people could afford them, the features were much better. The same will happen with VR.
The headsets arenít even the most expensive part anymore, itís the hardware to run them.
I agree there isnít a killer app, at least none that anyoneís even conceived. There are already several quite good games for VR, and any time one of them looks even sort of good, its forums are filled with ďcan I play it without VRĒ crybabies.
Once thereís a proper v2 headset from the current manufacturers, original VR kits will hit eBay for cheap.

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jun 22, 2018, 20:59 HoSpanky

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 22, 2018, 20:46:
I seem to remember the Factorio devs saying they don't do sales. So, wouldn't expect to pick that one up cheaper.

Yep, They've never had a sale on it. Used to be $20. So, that WAS the sale, but now it's permanently $30. Considering they've sold PLENTY of copies to make themselves rich (over a million!), I wouldn't be surprised if they kept it $30 forever.

News Comments > Gears Tactics Catch-up and Gears of War 5 PC Details
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 21, 2018, 12:25 HoSpanky

Gears 5 for win10 isnít a surprise; Gears 4 was as well. The part they donít mention is if PC players will be allowed to play against console in any way. I understand the whole controller vs kB/mouse, all they need to do is say ďyou can play against console if you use a controllerĒ. Yes, there will be crybabies who want an impossibly unfair advantage, but most people HAVE a controller, and are probably willing to deal with it so they donít have empty game lobbies.

And Fawker, they DID come to pc at the start, but gears 2 and 3 never did. Shame, that. Gears 4 is a new storyline that needs only the barest knowledge of the first three.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Jun 20, 2018, 11:26 HoSpanky

Acleacius wrote on Jun 20, 2018, 00:27:
Iirc, Thursday is the Steam Summer sale (reported rumor).

And usually those ďrumorsĒ are spot-on. Publishers are informed about the sale ahead of time and decide what percentage theyíll cut off their title. So itís not much of a secret, and someone always blabs.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 20, 2018, 10:24 HoSpanky

This is the article I needed to be truly excited about 2077. The witcherís Quests were ALWAYS worth doing, and were kept consistently interesting. There are some I havenít done yet, and I plan to go back and finish at some point just because I know theyíll be interesting.
Glad to read that theyíre keeping that same design philosophy for 2077.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 19, 2018, 15:40 HoSpanky

Oh boy, Alexa for hotels...so they can record everything you say during your stay and tell you itís for your convenience.

So far Iíve seen no need for one the the voice assistants, as their primary goal is to tailor ads on your network to match any conversation you have. Your phone already does this, even with voice assistant turned off, so maybe itís really no different anyway. Still donít like it, and definitely donít see a need for it personally.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Jun 19, 2018, 15:16 HoSpanky

Wreckfest has been a good time so far. The review is right, the game probably wonít hold anyoneís attention for terribly long, and Iíd say the lack of trackside diversity is heavily to blame...every track uses the same trackside doodads.

But oh boy, the races in small tracks, especially ones with crossing sections, are a riot. I was the lead in a race for 4/5 laps, and the final lap, my car was crushed as 3 cars t-boned me against a divider wall edge. Half of my car was torn away from the NEXT car that hit me, and then a larger car came down on top of my driver, and THATís when I was eliminated. The car wasnít considered ďoutĒ until then because it was front wheel drive and could technically drag itself around a bit. The game DOES seem to notice when certain components are destroyed, but wonít count you out even if the vehicle can barely move. Itís a very different feel from other games, and limping across a finish line, even if youíre the last functional car to do so, feels like a victory.

News Comments > PUBG Sanhok Launches
4. Re: PUBG Sanhok Launches Jun 19, 2018, 12:14 HoSpanky

So itís pronounced Sah-nok, but spelled San-hok?

Did Kayne West come up with that?

News Comments > WHO Classifies "Gaming Disorder"
22. Re: WHO Classifies Jun 18, 2018, 15:05 HoSpanky

Doesnít help that people have turned the word ďaddictiveĒ into a positive thing in reference to games. How many review or ads do you see about games where they brag about how addictive their game is?

Addiction is never a good thing. It implies that youíre doing something you probably no longer enjoy, but youíre compelled to waste your time doing it anyway.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2018, Part 11
2. Re: It Came from E3 2018, Part 11 Jun 18, 2018, 13:46 HoSpanky

Also Earthfall isnít the only game to play like l4d. The vermintide games are extremely similar, just with permanent upgrades. Clearly the author of the article was paid to make it appear to be objective, but the second half reeks of company-written details.  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jun 18, 2018, 12:46 HoSpanky

While I donít think PUBG is an asset flip, as itís not built using demo code, I do think it looks super generic, which is why their accusations of copycats are absurd...their game doesnít have a damn thing in it that hasnít been done before, and done exactly the same.  

News Comments > It Came from E3 2018, Part 11
1. Re: It Came from E3 2018, Part 11 Jun 18, 2018, 12:38 HoSpanky

Cyberpunk articles:
Thrilled to hear the game already runs great, I donít have a 1080 to, but I also donít use a 4K monitor. Pretty sure I wonít have trouble getting it to run nicely at 1440 on a gtx1080.

As for the statue, of COURSE theyíre gonna go up on eBay. Most journalists make painfully little money, and selling a super rare statue could mean getting a free weekend or two instead of writing articles.

1870 Comments. 94 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo