Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1770 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > R.I.P. Steam Machines?
20. Re: R.I.P. Steam Machines? Apr 2, 2018, 16:26 HoSpanky

DangerDog wrote on Apr 2, 2018, 15:17:
I don't think the Linux community is open to the idea of making it more user friendly though.

This. Generally, Linux users relish the user-unfriendliness. Itís a badge of honor for them, then they wonder why the world looks at Linux, shrugs, and forgets all about it.
Back when Quake3 came out, iD made a big deal about a same-time Linux release, sold on store shelves. It sold miserably. The world was watching and the Linux community failed to prove they were worth making games for. That was the last time I can recall anyone truly taking the OS seriously.
It doesnít matter how stable or powerful it is if no one makes anything for it. Some companies throw them a bone here and there, but Linux and its community will be second class citizens forever.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Factorio Price Boost Next Month
13. Re: Factorio Price Boost Next Month Mar 31, 2018, 15:42 HoSpanky

jdreyer wrote on Mar 31, 2018, 14:34:
I saw the character had a gun. Are there enemies?

As Peter says, yes, there are enemies. You saw the gun... there's also a little car with a turret and a tank that you can load some nasty stuff into. Flame throwers, chainguns, laser turrets and in the newest patch, mortar cannons. Apparently you can put the cannons on trains, which sounds hilarious.

Unless you REALLY crank up the monster difficulty/spawn rate, they're really mostly a nuisance. Unless you go looking for trouble, you will die more to your own trains than the monsters.

You WILL
get killed
by your own trains.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 30, 2018, 11:30 HoSpanky

The whole Uber thing is kinda a pile of shit. Sure, the self-driving car didnít detect the woman, but that woman was 49 years old and still wasnít smart enough to check for oncoming traffic. She wasnít even looking up when she was hit.

So now people are all up in arms about self driving cars, but I donít see headlines every time a pedestrian is hit by a human behind the wheel, because thatíd be several times EVERY FUCKING DAY. Iím not saying the issue shouldnít be investigated, see WHY it didnít see her, but to shut down the program seems stupid. Also, settling with the womanís family seems dumb unless it was for VERY cheap...she was absolutely not supposed to be there. The car had every right to be. Iím assuming the settlement was just to keep the family from adding to the media circus.

News Comments > Overwatch Tease
6. Re: Overwatch Tease Mar 30, 2018, 07:26 HoSpanky

opie wrote on Mar 30, 2018, 05:06:
kibbled wrote on Mar 29, 2018, 23:52:
I'm think they are bringing back the Kings Road PVE map from last year.

That is what I am thinking, but I hope not.

It seems quite likely. That WAS the entire theme of that mode.

News Comments > Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered Edition Announced
22. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Mar 29, 2018, 21:15 HoSpanky

This game occasionally gets pulled out at LANs. It always ends up that we keep trying to see if we can sneak up on someone and smoosh them with the hammer. The ridiculous destruction makes it hard for anyone to camp, so USUALLY there isn't anyone with a huge score lead. This update is a nice, if unneccessary, bonus. Are they maybe exploring a proper open-world sequel?  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 28, 2018, 11:45 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Mar 28, 2018, 11:29:
And he's right. Amazon - online retailers - should have to play by the same rules.

I agree, somewhat. Itís not as simple as ďletís go after the one company disrupting Trumpís croniesí businessesĒ, which is exactly what Trump is doing. The issue isnít at a federal level. Itís based on a per-state sales tax system that doesnít require stores to collect sales tax if they donít have a physical presence in the state the item is being purchased in.

Sales tax wonít slow down Amazon. Itís a well designed, CRAZY efficient system. And if they go after Amazon, they have to go after EVERY retailer with an online presence, which will include his friends who are complaining about Amazon. The number of jobs people are losing at retail is probably fewer than Amazon opens up, but HOLY CRAP does Amazon employ a lot of people. Iíd bet they pay better than the retail stores Trump wants to save.

Hereís the thing: people clearly would rather purchase some goods online. Itís just easier. If I want a doodad that may be hard to get, Iíll look online rather than waste my time driving around to multiple stores. Some brick and mortar stores will survive, namely womenís clothing and grocery. Iíve done online grocery shopping before, and letting someone else choose your produce doesnít end particularly well.

Trump is focused on this issue solely because his friends are losing money from it, NOT because itís better for America. Thatís his entire M.O., and he and his dinosaur mindset needs to get removed as soon as possible.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Mar 27, 2018, 07:16 HoSpanky

webber wrote on Mar 27, 2018, 06:04:
X-Morph is awesome! Highly recommended.
Came in here to say pretty much the same thing. I bought it at full price, no regrets.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 26, 2018, 18:41 HoSpanky

What? A company whose entire revenue model is based on selling information ACTUALLY SOLD INFORMATION?

https://youtu.be/E8b4xYbEugo

News Comments > Sea of Thieves' Stormy Start
12. Re: Sea of Thieves' Stormy Start Mar 21, 2018, 17:41 HoSpanky

Flo wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 16:44:
Creston wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 16:32:
"We can't be bothered to pay for enough infrastructure. Please queue and stop saying that you want to play the game you paid for, you entitled bastards."
.....or didn't pay for because you use the 14 days free gamepass trick, you bastards! ARRRRR

The lesson Microsoft will learn from this is ďdonít put brand new games in gamepassĒ. This was a problem they should have seen from miles away.

News Comments > NVIDIA GPP Concerns Linger
15. Re: NVIDIA GPP Concerns Linger Mar 21, 2018, 13:53 HoSpanky

Right now none of this shit matters anyway. You canít buy a decent video card at anything less than the cost of a high end one. Hereís hoping some crypto currencies take a nosedive so people can actually buy video cards again.  

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Sets Sail
10. Re: Sea of Thieves Sets Sail Mar 20, 2018, 12:25 HoSpanky

Prez, Quantum Break isnít multiplayer, so it can be transferred elsewhere. Itís also not made by an internal Microsoft studio.

But yeah, itís certainly not the most gripping game Iíve ever played. You arenít missing something amazing. Itís definitely NEAT, and the way ships take multiple people to manage them is fun. Unlike Guns of Icarus, which is ONLY ship to ship combat, SoT has missions that, at least in the beta, are very simple and the challenge is getting there and back.

The only REAL shame of you avoiding the Windows Store is Forza Horizon 3. You can buy keys for it on eBay (that include the incredible Hot Wheels expansion) for around $30.

News Comments > Apex Construct Released
1. Re: Apex Construct Released Mar 20, 2018, 11:34 HoSpanky

Iím more excited about Budget Cuts than this, but itís got decent reviews and is apparently a decent length. Prolly pick it up later this week.  

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Sets Sail
8. Re: Sea of Thieves Sets Sail Mar 20, 2018, 11:09 HoSpanky

Prez wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 10:18:
Put it somewhere other than the execrable Windows Store and I'll give it a whirl as it looks like it might be fun. Of course if it's anything like Guns of Icarus being on a team of jackasses can spoil every game session regardless of how good the core game is.

Not really sure what the issue is with the Windows store, but since this is a game published by Microsoft, itís the only place youíll ever see it. You donít see new games from EA and Ubi on Steam (if you do, it still automatically fires up their respective stores to launch). People wanted competing stores, this is what you get.

The windows store is fairly innocuous. You donít have to open it to launch any of their games. The cost of it being ďwindows store onlyĒ is that it wonít drop in price anytime soon, but it does offer crossplay with the Xbone, which means there will be more players later in its life than if it were PC only.

I didnít find it to be terribly engaging. Iím prolly in around the $20-$25 mark though.

News Comments > HTC VIVE Pro Preorders
4. Re: HTC VIVE Pro Preorders Mar 19, 2018, 10:34 HoSpanky

sauron wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 10:24:
Dev wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 10:16:
4.6 megapixel vs 3.5 megapixel, and better sound for what, twice the current price of the non pro once you add in all the extras needed?

And no, I'm not looking to pay monthly for anything.

Doesn't sound like an amazing thing

VR sounds cool, but not for $800 before tax, plus cost of upgrades to rig. And also, subscriptions services... uh, no thanks...

You can get in WAY cheaper than $800. This is an absurd price point for just the headset, but itís because HTC canít afford to sell their hardware at or below cost like Facebook can. Canít imagine there will be a ton of takers on this, aside from VaRcades.

News Comments > The Crew 2 in June
11. Re: The Crew 2 in June Mar 17, 2018, 13:05 HoSpanky

Bumpy wrote on Mar 16, 2018, 18:45:
I'm still working on finishing Crew 1. Its ok but the game needs more sim vehicle handling IMO.

Not planning on #2 unless I hear the cars control much more realistically.

Again, Forza horizon 3. It wonít ever play EXACTLY like a sim, as it expects impossible things of its cars, but itís far more realistic. If you have windows 10, thereís a rather hefty (both in file size and content) demo. Yes, itís win10/windows store exclusive. Thatís literally the only downside, and the game is so goddamn good.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 17, 2018, 12:51 HoSpanky

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Mar 17, 2018, 07:23:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 16, 2018, 23:15:
Why the hell do I need a yahoo account to see the full view of screenshots on a playstation blog, that's some fucked up shit right there.
Indeed. Viewing a slightly higher quality image shouldn't require an account for an entirely unrelated site. Bizarre.

As for AMD, it's a clever move to push FreeSync into consoles because that will create a demand for FreeSync TVs and undermine nVidia's proprietary G-SYNC. The current situation on PC is pathetic, where you have to base your monitor selection on your graphics card to have adaptive sync.

Yep. I got a g-sync monitor and while itís nice, it absolutely wasnít worth the insane premium. Iíve read that g-sync works ďas expectedĒ across the board, while freesync has different versions, and theyíre not equal. Thankfully, the differences are in the monitor, so thereís no worry that your AMD video card canít do it. Just research that new tv well and youíll be fine.
The VR scene is in the same boat currently, with Oculus refusing to support other headsets on their store. Morons will use ReVive, which is a workaround, but thatís just making Oculus LESS concerned about supporting all headsets. Itís literally limiting what games you can play BASED ON YOUR MONITOR.
Like every new tech, there will be different standards until one gets a clear lead, and then it will finally, grudgingly, be made *the* standard.

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Bill of Rights Trailer
11. Re: Far Cry 5 Bill of Rights Trailer Mar 17, 2018, 11:43 HoSpanky

Slick wrote on Mar 16, 2018, 19:47:
I'm more concerned about the fact that they're already advertising the Season Pass content BEFORE THE GAME HAS LAUNCHED.

How is this not a big deal to people? They're openly telling people who haven't even played the game yet that to experience everything they have to plonk down another $50.

Usually Iíd agree with you, but the season pass content is wildly different from the main game, and will have completely separate stories and settings. That and the game allows for player-made levels, which there absolutely will be some spectacular and hilarious ones. Iím actually considering picking it up. The only thing holding me back is the ever-present backlog of perfectly good games I havenít gotten to. Iíve been trying to check out one a week, see if any ďstickĒ.

News Comments > PAYDAY 2 VR Released
3. Re: PAYDAY 2 VR Released Mar 17, 2018, 09:30 HoSpanky

Prez wrote on Mar 17, 2018, 06:45:
Awesome - i can't wait to see how far I can get before vomiting!

Yeah, I do worry about that. Also, the game is pretty expensive for something I didnít have any interest in before they added VR support. I wonder if the players on flatscreens will see odd movements from the arms/head of VR players instead of the canned animations.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 16, 2018, 13:25 HoSpanky

We all know ink cartridges are a scam. Spend the extra money up front for a color laser printer. Faster printing, better looking pictures, far less waste. Yes, there are mechanical issues that can be frustrating, but theyíre less common now and usually fixable with cheap pets. Samsungís laser printers are expensive, and the toner cartridges are also not cheap, but they have the fuser built into the cartridge...the most common part to die on laser printers.

A suspiciously cheap printer should give people pause, but clearly it doesnít.

News Comments > The Crew 2 in June
3. Re: The Crew 2 in June Mar 16, 2018, 12:48 HoSpanky

Meh, the first one stuttered like crazy on a PC that was way above recommended specs. That was more than a year after the game came out, so it wasnít ďteethingĒ issues. Maybe this will be a better game, dunno. Wonít find out until itís in the bargain bin, since they didnít fix the issue in the first one. Might reinstall it and see if itís been sorted out. Thankfully Forza Horizon 3 is on PC and runs flawlessly now (after quite a few patches, it ran like trash initially).  

1770 Comments. 89 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo