Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1679 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Gears of War 4 Free Trial
1. Re: Gears of War 4 Free Trial Jun 9, 2017, 21:21 HoSpanky

Just be sure to free up 116gb of space first.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DiRT 4 Released
1. Re: DiRT 4 Released Jun 9, 2017, 21:18 HoSpanky

Codemasters uses the word "fearless" a lot, but is scared to put VR functionality into this game, despite having it in Dirt Rally, which runs on the same goddamn engine that they've used since Dirt 2.  

News Comments > Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation Patch Adds New Campaign
1. Re: Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation Patch Adds New Campaign Jun 8, 2017, 22:51 HoSpanky

How long does a mission take in this game? The new campaign is 6 missions. At $40, they'd better be crazy long.  

News Comments > Writer Jay Pinkerton Leaves Valve
18. Re: Writer Jay Pinkerton Leaves Valve Jun 7, 2017, 16:10 HoSpanky

Frijoles wrote on Jun 7, 2017, 11:23:
On the other hand, they're supposedly making 3 new VR games. Perhaps those new VR games have no story (or it's already done). Valve was the top company I wanted to work for years ago. Not really true anymore, although I don't know who I'd pick these days. Retirement would be nice.

Judging from The Lab, Valve still knows how to make efficient, clever, and most importantly FUN experiences. They just no longer have the motivation, although VR clearly has them excited. Hopefully the loss of so many writers doesn't heavily affect those upcoming games, but I can't see how it wouldn't. The ONLY reason Portal was noteworthy was the omniscient, loveable asshole GlaDOS. Her constant badgering was the sole thing that elevated it from "thrown in short puzzle game" to Legendary. Her appearance in The Lab is short, but incredibly memorable. Valve's focus on VR is immediately understood when she pokes her head in, and you realize for the first time that she's the size of a cargo van. Sure, maybe you kinda got that impression in the Portal games, but even if you've watched someone run through Robot Repair in a video, you aren't prepared for how convincing VR can be.

If anyone is going to make the Killer App for VR, it's Valve. Hopefully they still have a clever writer or two left by then.

News Comments > Renzo Racer Early Access
1. Re: Renzo Racer Early Access Jun 2, 2017, 10:09 HoSpanky

This is the sort of game that I don't understand why it exists. There are already games just like it, that look/play better. Who's the market for a "Mario Kart / Sonic Racing clone, except with no recognizable characters and artwork from the GameCube era"?

I'm all for Indie developers, but only because they tend to make the weird games that big dev houses can't risk.

News Comments > Danger Zone Released
4. Re: Danger Zone Released May 30, 2017, 19:45 HoSpanky

The best part about that mode in the burnout games was multiplayer, where you were competing over a high score. This is single player, and scoreboards just aren't the same thing.  

News Comments > On Destiny 2 Networking
14. Re: On Destiny 2 Networking May 27, 2017, 22:57 HoSpanky

Suppa7 wrote on May 27, 2017, 15:18:
Creston wrote on May 27, 2017, 14:15:
What's the tradeoff for client-server, exactly? That it works great and everyone has a smooth match?

Oh wait, cost-benefit analysis. So you ARE trying to save money.

The whole thing is bullshit PR, anyone who knows how computers work know there is no reason not to give players control of servers. Quake and unreal had dedicated servers BUILT into the fucking game. But once game companies realized the average gamer is a fucking moron we got this shit of company controlled servers because the average gamer is grade A fucking tech illiterate.

Quake and Unreal had NO persistent data. Any game with persistent characters CAN'T let people run their own servers. The very first thing that would happen is there'd be "get all legendary gear in 3 seconds!" servers.

News Comments > Free Weekend for Two VR Games [Updated]
2. Re: Free Weekend for Two VR Games May 27, 2017, 15:46 HoSpanky

BlazeRush is more of a top down racer, like Micro Machines. I'm irritated that it's only got VR support for the Rift, because there's literally NO reason for that except "we were paid to keep it off the Vive".

News Comments > RiME Time
1. Re: RiME Time May 26, 2017, 13:37 HoSpanky

This weekend seems to be a huge Indie release time. This, Everspace, and at least one high profile (for VR) VR-only title launch today. Everspace jumped the gun yesterday, after announcing the 26th as their release date, but clearly the goal is to get these games out when a large portion of the US population has 3 days off.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization May 26, 2017, 13:26 HoSpanky

Wonder what the mobile WoW game will be a copy of. If I was forced to, I'd bet on it being Marvel Puzzle Quest. Blizzard would polish their version to a sheen, and likely offer WoW rewards (pets, mounts) for events.  

News Comments > Grim Dawn Sells 1M Copies
17. Re: Grim Dawn Sells 1M Copies May 25, 2017, 15:51 HoSpanky

Well holy shit I totally forgot about this game. The torrent of positive mini-reviews on this thread are pretty much all the convincing I need. I'll be grabbing it from the Humble store this evening.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse May 19, 2017, 15:52 HoSpanky

ItBurn wrote on May 19, 2017, 13:19:
That UK article is the scariest thing. They're actually openly saying that they want to control what people say, think and look at... I guess it's true what they say about evil people not realizing they're evil.

So, who actually would vote for such a thing? "Hey I want the internet to become just another platform for me to tell you what *I* want you to hear, and absolutely nothing else."

News Comments > Destiny 2 PC Will Trail Consoles; Has No Dedicated Servers
22. Re: Destiny 2 PC Will Trail Consoles; Has No Dedicated Servers May 19, 2017, 15:14 HoSpanky

Bundy wrote on May 19, 2017, 14:52:
CJ_Parker wrote on May 19, 2017, 10:37:
Definitely no (single player) demo and/or no free (multiplayer) trial = no buy

You must not buy many games. Both these are becoming a rarity. Especially single player demos.

Oh please, CJ doesn't play games, he just comes on Blue's to bitch about every game that exists. Nothing is good enough for his royal highness.

On one hand, the two Halo games we got were...not suited for PC to begin with, and Halo 2 required an OS no one wanted.

On the other hand, Blizzard is putting their name on this, and that's no small consideration. They'd rather kill a game weeks before launch than put out something short of stellar.

So I'm willing to bet that's why they're claiming it'll be good to go from day 1....Blizzard is probably demanding it. I wouldn't be surprised if the multiplayer is PC only, because while the co-op wouldn't matter, the versus mode would be packed with console players claiming pc users are cheating.

News Comments > New Life is Strange Game Announced
1. Re: New Life is Strange Game Announced May 18, 2017, 23:50 HoSpanky

I bought this during a sale, then promptly forgot all about it. I oughta fire it up, apparently it's quite good.  

News Comments > Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer
2. Re: Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer May 18, 2017, 16:43 HoSpanky

While I wasn't super impressed with the first Destiny, that was mostly due to the story having been gutted entirely and your primary source of information being bored with his role. It kept me from being interested.

The gameplay itself was rock solid and fun, just terribly repetitive and with no functional reason as to WHY things happened. Hoping this one is better.

Your NMS reference, Cutter, is wildly misplaced. Grindey gameplay? Well yes, it's essentially an MMO. Par for the course. The difference is that it takes actual gameplay skill into account as much as your gear.

News Comments > F1 2017 in August
4. Re: F1 2017 in August May 17, 2017, 17:08 HoSpanky

theglaze wrote on May 17, 2017, 10:42:
Also... without VR, I don't think I care as much now compared to previous years.

I wonder if Dirt 4 will also launch without VR?

There's been no mention of VR support for Dirt 4, and they never got around to putting Vive support in Dirt Rally, so whatever, Codies. Guess I'll have to keep waiting on Project Cars 2.

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed May 17, 2017, 10:26 HoSpanky

The only part of the article that paints Valve in a light any worse than ANY other distributor is the royalties on user-created content. Seems stupid that Valve takes a HUGE portion of earnings on something someone else made. Why is it any more than the 30% they take on games?

The one-game-at-a-time thing is to keep people from all chipping in on ONE account and then they all play different things from it. I currently have family sharing going with the only friend who also bought a VR headset. Since most VR "games" are short and single player, the sharing lets each game get twice the use out of it, making the cost of each more tolerable. Yeah, we can't play the same game (unless we both bought it: Valkyrie), but at least we CAN share them. It's not like Steam had ANY obligation to do so.

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials Reveal Far Cry 5 and The Crew 2
1. Re: Ubisoft Financials Reveal Far Cry 5 and The Crew 2 May 16, 2017, 20:26 HoSpanky

Maybe The Crew 2 will actually run decently. They certainly never bothered to make sure the original did.  

News Comments > MS Planning Mixed Reality, Cross-Platform MMOG
14. Re: MS Planning Mixed Reality, Cross-Platform MMOG May 16, 2017, 18:18 HoSpanky

Dr donkles wrote on May 16, 2017, 14:59:
Cool, might be an interesting project.

Though, not if they force players into groups. I've never liked the whole team up aspect of mmos to accomplish anything.

Soooo you like single player games, not MMOs. Got it.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale May 15, 2017, 22:29 HoSpanky

Red Alert 3's campaign (entirely co-op!) is friggin hilarious, ridiculous fun.  

1679 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo