Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 2193 (Senior)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 16, 2019, 12:48 HoSpanky

DukeFNukem wrote on Feb 15, 2019, 21:09:
Here go again. We're all gonna die. And I thought climate change was gonna kill us all first. The propaganda never stops, exploiting every case, pushing vaccines on people like cotton candy at a circus. Anti-vaxxers have no shame? What are you trying to shame them for.

If Kara Krause's personal story is true then how is it shameful to educate the public at large about the dangers of vaccines?

100 cases of measles diagnosed, 50 of those 100 "sickened by the disease". None of the 50 dead as far as I know.

More people have probably died from the flu than this outbreak. 100 cases out of 300 million Americans and this is supposed to make me think vaccine makers are the new savior of mankind in the 21st century? GTFOH!

Botulism is something to be afraid of and take seriously. When people start dropping dead like flies, let me know. Then I'll rethink my stance on vaccines.

I'll be watching the death toll from this "pandemic" as I always do. My prediction? 0 deaths, again.

Big pharma likes big money. I guess their profits aren't as high lately.

What, what? Ah Christ, we have an anti-vaxxer here? Fucking awesome.
Do you, or anyone you know, have Polio? No?!?! Well then that must have happened by fucking magic.
The flu is something we TRY to prevent. Itís a wily infection that can mutate quickly, making vaccines for it less effective than those for locked-down diseases. Itís a constant battle, and for those with compromised immune systems, itís critical.

Big Pharma IS untrustworthy...look at the current opioid addiction epidemic. But theyíre not 100% evil. Not even close. And vaccines arenít the enemy. Theyíre the reason survival rates have skyrocketed.

Personally, I think if people donít want to vaccinate their kids, thatís fine...if they live in their own town, and have their own schools. No interaction with vaccinated people. And absolutely no help from any medical professional for any vaccine-preventable issue. The problem would solve itself in about 10 years. Enough of these anti-vaxxer outbreaks and thatís how itíll go whether they want it or not.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 15, 2019, 13:09 HoSpanky

Gotta say, Iím siding with the people whose dances were copied.

Kids buy the dance moves BECAUSE they were made popular elsewhere.
I do wonder how much money Epic is spending to defend themselves while looking scummy. Is it significantly less than if they gave $1 of each sale to the person they copied it from? Thatís ignoring the better reputation theyíd get. Here they are bragging that their bare-bones digital store gives developers/publishers a better cut than Steam, but arenít giving people they blatantly copied even a small cut.

News Comments > Neill Blomkamp's Anthem Trailer
4. Re: Neill Blomkamp's Anthem Trailer Feb 15, 2019, 09:57 HoSpanky

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 15, 2019, 02:07:
Desalus wrote on Feb 14, 2019, 22:38:
That's a pretty sweet trailer. Hopefully it turns into something more.

I hope the fucking Afrikaner gets off his ass and makes a godamn sequel to District9, instead of fucking experimenting with these short film projects. At this point he is getting as bad as James Cameron and he has nowhere near his film pedigree.

Yep, I badly want a D9 sequel. The movie had so many interesting ideas. Why does the fuel ALSO turn humans into the Prawns? Seems unlikely, unless the Prawns were human to begin with. What does that imply?
Thereís easily a trilogyís worth of story in that alone. Most of the Prawns are incredibly stupid...do they need to convert humans for ďsmartĒ breeding stock occasionally? Did they come to Earth to get more but the genetic line was already too far gone and only idiots arrived?

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Feb 13, 2019, 12:57 HoSpanky

Varan, Iíve been absolutely amazed at how much money people are willing to spend on cosmetic items in games. I have to admit I prefer it to pay-to-win that dominated the ďitís free to start playingĒ games initially.
Canít blame developers for going after easy money. If you suddenly found an easy, legal way to make several times your current salary at your job, youíd do it too. Blame kids for being...well, kids. Theyíre the target audience for most games, and why the hell WOULDNíT you sell what they want to buy? It gives them no advantage, but maybe it makes the game more fun to them.

I donít like it either, but there are plenty of games that arenít about micro transactions. They just arenít free.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 13, 2019, 07:55 HoSpanky

Alternate Story:
Unknown email provider who has operated for almost 20 years gets tired of being locked into supporting a barely-profitable service. Rather than admit his loss of interest in the product he supplies, he nukes his own system from orbit. Bad backup practices arenít as bad as ďIím gonna abandon my baby because itís not a valid retirement strategyĒ.

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Feb 9, 2019, 09:42 HoSpanky

Didnít bother me at all, since the video was shot using a camera dredged up from the 1990s. Couldnít tell what was going on at all. Checked my video settings, set to max and yet it still looked like the pizza was slowly disappearing into a tv with no analog signal.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 8, 2019, 20:12 HoSpanky

Super disappointed in Google. Louisville could have set up their own municipal ISP instead, but tons of time and money was dumped into a project that Google dumps the instant it doesn't go perfectly for them.

Meanwhile in Indianapolis, we have the impossible happening: We have areas with competing fiber networks. Not a LOT of areas with overlap, but we have four separate companies scrambling to snatch the non-fiber areas before someone else gets into them. First to Fiber wins, and we have a helluva race going on.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 8, 2019, 18:53 HoSpanky

It all just makes me VERY happy I was able to get a 1080 at a hair below retail price a couple years ago. A friend's coworker had a pair of 1070 tis for sale for under $300 each, I grabbed one for the wife's rig. now hers screams away at pretty much the same performance level as mine, which should cover us both for at LEAST another card generation. Game makers aren't about to make games that only the *00+ cards can run decently, so we'll be fine.

Those 2080ti cards are absurdly overpriced, but they sell out all the time anyway. So clearly, a lot of people think they're worth the money, and they won't start coming down in price to anything reasonable until retailers have insane amounts of overstock. Hopefully you all can hunker down and ride it out for a couple years.

News Comments > Morning Patches
1. Re: Morning Patches Feb 8, 2019, 18:45 HoSpanky

the Supcom 2 article title is....a bit misleading. It absolutely ISN'T an official Co-op campaign support. it's "play the campaign maps, individually and in a super annoying fashion, with your friends on your side". So, what makes it terribly different from just rolling a random map with friends as allies and some comps to stomp?

Official, properly supported co-op, like how Red Alert 3 did it before EA killed its network access, is what I EXPECTED from a title like that. What I was actually told was that it's technically POSSIBLE to play the campaign with friends, if you're willing to put up with a lot of dumb shit. I'm not.

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 6, 2019, 16:07 HoSpanky

The boot drive article seems to think people want to store all of their data on one drive. I assume most gamers who actually notice and care about load times keep their games on a drive separate from the OS. A small boot drive is fine, although thereís the argument about load times there...most sub-500gb drives are significantly slower due to fewer chips to access data from simultaneously. At 500 and above, they flood the SATA interface anyway. The 1 and 2 tb drives on NVMe are the only way to step above it, and even thatís not nearly the leap as platter to SATA SSD.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2019, 12:32 HoSpanky

Really, just demand that people who refuse to vaccinate their children have to live in an isolated community of other unvaccinated people, and that they cannot get medical help for any of the diseases the vaccine helps prevent. The problem will solve itself.  

News Comments > Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC
34. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Feb 2, 2019, 14:36 HoSpanky

Gas Bandit wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 13:30:
I didn't even want to install steam in the first place. I'm not installing EpicSteam or EASteam or UbiSteam or BlizzSteam on top of that. I put up with one already - the one with the most market share. As far as I am concerned, if it isn't on steam (or GOG which doesn't require me to run/keep open their marketplace software), I've done my due diligence and am in the clear to hoist the jolly roger.

Between greedy publishers trying to pull their stuff off netflix to force their own exclusive subscription services, and now PC game "exclusives," we're all set for a second golden age of piracy. Can't wait to play Satisfactory for free.

Thatís not ďdue diligenceĒ. Thatís your way of trying to sound like youíre in the moral Right about stealing the work of a fairly small dev team. Thereís any number of flimsy excuses for not paying for the hard work of others, and youíre the type of turd who goes looking for them. If you donít like where a game is released, donít play it. There is no valid excuse for piracy. You, personally, are the direct cause for crap like Denuvo.

And I bet youíve said something dumb like ďThis game has Denuvo! I refuse to pay for that, so Iím gonna pirate it!Ē

News Comments > Anthem Open Demo Live
43. Re: Anthem Open Demo Live Feb 2, 2019, 13:25 HoSpanky

KS wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 12:22:
Creston wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 11:57:
What BENEFIT does the game get from limiting flight? I'm pretty sure they just put it in because "Well, it's a jetpack, and jetpacks have always overheated in games."

Imagine this game if you could just fly free?

Reason #6872 City of Heroes should not have been cancelled.

All the enemies would have to have flight as well if it had free flight. Not that it would make it BAD, but itíd be forced to be a completely different game. If you had unlimited free flight, thereíd be no reason to put you on a planet. Itíd have to take place in space or so high above ground that landing wouldnít be possible. Without forcing people to the ground, often, itíd just be Descent.

If you can just fly past every single enemy thatís on the ground, why would they bother to put anything on the ground?

Out of all the arguments against this game, expecting free flight is the worst by far.

News Comments > Anthem Open Demo Live
32. Re: Anthem Open Demo Live Feb 2, 2019, 08:10 HoSpanky

Ok, a friend convinced me to look into Event Viewer to see wtf was causing the game to crash. Well, a couple years ago when I first set up my rig, SSDs were more expensive and there was concern about over-writing them to death. Soooo I disabled virtual memory. Anthem is the first game that eats more than the 12 free gig of memory, so it shits itself in short order. Problem fixed.

On to the actual game! First up, it forces HDR on. No choice. Whatever.

Motion blurís setting should be called High/Low, because itís clearly not off.

The menus are hot trash on mouse/KB. Clearly designed for controller and not one person took a look at it in a PC environment.

The controls on M/KB are also trash. No excuses, Darks, itís complete shit. When flight IMMEDIATELY feels right on a controller, but feels like Iím only making suggestions on m/Kb, itís shit. I donít care if they ďalready fixed itĒ in the full game. Show me that in the demo or my money stays in my pocket.

The game is gorgeous. The gameplay is very much Destiny, thatís not necessarily a bad thing. Thereís very little that really makes me want to play it again today.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 1, 2019, 11:58 HoSpanky

Please, PLEASE let those in charge of this hearing actually have a clue as to what theyíre deciding on. Net Neutrality is absolutely required for us to move ahead in the digital era.

Also, the deals small town mayors make with ISPs that block a municipal service from offering internet connectivity need to be made illegal. They literally serve no other purpose but to monopolize internet service for that area. How is that even SORT OF legal?

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 31, 2019, 13:12 HoSpanky

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 31, 2019, 12:52:

FreeSync is known to be problematic with HDR displays which is why FreeSync 2 offers improved HDR support, in theory.
In practice there are still numerous reports that HDR and FreeSync 2 don't get along very well. It's garbage.

G-Sync on the other hand, has zero issues with G-Sync HDR displays.

Let's face it. G-Sync is God-like mode in sync tech. The 'G' stands for God-like. It's 'God-like-Sync'. True story!

Feel free to deal with FreeSync though where HDR flickers like shit, where LFC doesn't work reliably with 80% of the screens and where you need to tune your in-game sliders for hours so you can manage to stay within the narrow 48Hz to 60Hz range that many screens are offering. Real fun!

While it's true that there are some...questionable "freesync" monitors, anything under 100hz is pointless. YES, the 60hz ones are absurd, since the functionality is in a 12hz range.

It's not that Freesync is INHERENTLY bad, it's that AMD didn't bother to put any real requirements into it for the first iteration. G-sync's SOLE advantage is that Nvidia DID put strict requirements into it from the start. FS2 monitors are pretty much AMD's response to that.

I should also clarify that the monitor I bought is FS2, paired with a GTX1080. There's no difference in the liquidy smoothness between it and my previous G-sync monitor. I absolutely would warn you to buy with caution if you're looking into a Freesync(1) monitor, but FS2 requires a bit more from manufacturers.

Lastly, while Nvidia was strict with their g-sync specs, they partnered with manufacturers with questionable quality control. Your choices, up until this year, were Acer or Asus, who both use the same supplier, and who both apparently don't give a flying fuck about checking panels before shipping them out. LG finally threw their hat into the ring, and they don't play fuckaround with their brand name.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 31, 2019, 12:38 HoSpanky

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 31, 2019, 12:01:
I think that I am going to hold off on buying replacement monitors for my 1080p 60Hz Dells until AdaptiveSync becomes a thing and I see reviews on how well it performs. I prefer universally applicable solutions over proprietary implementations since they generally receive far broader support.

I'm probably going to be in the market for 1080p 120Hz+ monitors. I have a couple of 4K monitors at work and I have to downrez them to 1080p because I can't see a fucking thing at 4K. Yes, I'm old(ish).

1440p is an awesome midrange. It's instantly a large improvement over 1080, especially for distant objects.

Your video card is more of a concern than your eyesight, Most games have UI scaling, as does pretty much any desktop environment.
You just don't want to spend a fortune on a badass monitor to find that your video card struggles to hit a decent framerate on it. Adaptive sync, under whatever name it may have, doesn't really make much difference if you keep dropping into the low 40s.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 31, 2019, 11:18 HoSpanky

In the tutorial here, they're using a 60hz monitor, which isn't going to do anything impressive anyway. 100hz+ or don't bother, really.

I bought a Freesync monitor a couple days after the announcement...not BECAUSE of it, but it WAS the deciding factor between two models. One has Freesync and HDR, the other has g-sync and NO HDR. The G-sync model is $200 more. I already HAD a high end g-sync monitor, so I knew what g-sync looks/feels like.

It's largely exactly the same as the G-sync monitor. The new monitor is higher resolution (Ultrawide 1440p vs normal 1440p), so my framerate dips a bit more than it used to...no surprises there. g-sync functionality works on pretty much everything, and in the ONE game I own with HDR, that feature works just fine. The monitor isn't the best at HDR, but I knew that going in, and I'm not terribly concerned. I was concerned with the Panel Lottery, which appears to not actually be a thing with this monitor. Zero stuck/dead pixels, only a little IPS glow in the lower left corner, which is only noticeable on an all-black screen.

Largely, I think it proves G-sync isn't really much different from Freesync, and certainly not $200 better. On both monitors, I've had days where G-sync clearly just didn't feel like doing its job and I'd have noticeable tearing. A reboot usually fixes that; it appears that after I've fired up a few games in a row that it may get confused and stop engaging.

The new monitor is the insanely expensive LG 34GK950F. I bought it a couple weeks ago when LG had it for $200 off. It's replacing an Acer XB270HU. The Acer had a single dead pixel, but it's way off in a corner where I quickly forgot about it.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 29, 2019, 14:11 HoSpanky

Not that good of a deal on the Forza games...generally, people who like one find the other awful. FH3 is still the best in the series, but thatís ONLY because of the completely bonkers Hot Wheels expansion. Maybe the second FH4 expansion will somehow top it, but it seems unlikely.

FH4 is pretty damned spectacular though. Itís goegeous as-is, but if you happen to have an HDR-capable monitor, youíll see something truly incredible. Thereís a demo if you just want to see the pretties.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: re: Out of the Blue Jan 29, 2019, 13:45 HoSpanky

Iím clearly a glutton for punishment, as Iíve had Razer mice since the original Boomslang, and they all fail the same way Blueís is. My latest one seems to have avoided that issue, but I think itís more of winning the hardware lottery than ďall my others happened to be sub-parĒ. Iím using a Mamba now, if it matters.

The cold weather is gonna stomp all over us in Indianapolis as well, just not QUITE like itíll tear into Chicagoís notoriously windy streets. I took the day off work, as my job is outdoors and Iím not interested in trying to splice fiber in temps that will cause it to shatter from the slightest touch.

2193 Comments. 110 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo