Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1688 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > X-Morph: Defense This Month
1. Re: X-Morph: Defense This Month Aug 1, 2017, 19:19 HoSpanky

Yep, already on my steam wishlist. Looks like a good time.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Secret World Legends Launches
2. Re: Secret World Legends Launches Aug 1, 2017, 10:29 HoSpanky

Thanks for the review, Asmodai. I have a friend who was wanting to get us into this game (he bought a lifetime account when it first came out). I may still check it out for the storylines, but it sounds like I'm going to be absurdly underpowered and hit a difficulty wall pretty quickly if loot drops are locked behind a paywall.  

News Comments > ARK Gold; Full Release Delayed
6. Re: ARK Gold; Full Release Delayed Jul 31, 2017, 13:35 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Jul 31, 2017, 11:58:
Is this game in a playable state yet? This game alone is the reason to avoid EA games.

That's a good question. It ran like trash last time I checked, on a 1080 at 1440p. had to set everything to low/NES to get a decent framerate, and considering how shitty that looks, it clearly was due to crap optimization.

But that was a LONG time ago. There's been huge performance changes done to UE4, if they've implemented them, maybe it runs decently. I just have zero interest in the game after the miserable EA period where they were WAY more interested in adding content than fixing performance.

News Comments > Descent: Underground Demo
7. Re: Descent: Underground Demo Jul 31, 2017, 13:29 HoSpanky

Nucas wrote on Jul 31, 2017, 13:19:
loomy wrote on Jul 31, 2017, 12:22:
you donate to crowdfunding because you believe in them and their competence, not because they already have a good product. they have slightly admitted that they fucked up, and say they are still working on it. I will give them the benefit of the doubt. they will need to better convince me of their competence if I am to donate however. https://descendentstudios.com/community/topic/4731-a-quick-update/

indeed, that was why i backed overload since it was a professional team of names with experience shipping titles for both publishers and indies. and most importantly, all four of them actually worked on the descent games and are content producers. underground was 8 pricks with "director" titles and a list of completely random games they're associated with in some nebulous way; and none of them were descent.

i feel bad for anyone who gave money to the underground guys. and that "update" has the mewling, conciliatory tone of every failed kickstarter project on the decline that i've ever seen. these guys have had 2 years and over half a million dollars and are acting like its all out of their hands.

Anyone know where the development of this game is located? Is it in the US? Is it in a typically high-cost area? I've always wondered why a LOT of game companies are based in typically high-rent areas...wouldn't their investors be more impressed with them setting up shop somewhere cheap?

My point is, if they're doing the dev work in California, that half million is gonna dry up crazy fast. If they're in Ohio, it'll go a LOT further.

News Comments > Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Trailer
4. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Trailer Jul 29, 2017, 00:15 HoSpanky

Slim, it may be cheap because their previous games just didn't move many copies at full price. I'm a little unnerved by it as well, part of why I'm waiting on reviews.

It's funny, we all wait for games to go on sale, and this one may be just shooting for mid-life pricing out the gate and we think "what's wrong with it?".

News Comments > Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Trailer
1. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Trailer Jul 28, 2017, 16:04 HoSpanky

Ninja Theory tend to make gorgeous games with a heavy focus on story presentation. There's usually no replay value, but at $30...I may bite. I'll wait until release and make sure it isn't a complete bug ridden mess, like any sane person. Hoping this is more Heavenly Sword than Enslaved.  

News Comments > Destiny 2 Beta Next Month; Specs Revealed
12. Re: Destiny 2 Beta Next Month; Specs Revealed Jul 28, 2017, 16:01 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Jul 28, 2017, 14:41:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 28, 2017, 14:21:
Cutter wrote on Jul 28, 2017, 14:06:
Rec specs are a bit of a pigfucker aren't they considering they'll run just fine on crappy ol' consoles. Sounds like it's going to be an unoptimized POS. And if it doesn't run on Win 7 they may as well not even bother.
All the new consoles are 8GB.

I was thinking in terms of CPU/GPU. Enh, guess we'll see.

Consoles always, ALWAYS punch above their weight class. Having a locked hardware/software target is WAY easier to work with than the PC's hardware parade. Take a look at Horizon Zero Dawn or any Uncharted game as proof. Also, keep in mind that consoles are running Destiny 2 at 30fps, while most PC gamers assume 60 minimum.

News Comments > KryptCrawler Released
6. Re: KryptCrawler Released Jul 26, 2017, 15:55 HoSpanky

Those complaining about the graphics have clearly not played anything in VR. Your brain buys in, whole-hog, no matter how it looks. Also, they have to hold a *steady* 90fps, ANY hitching is nauseating. Games that are prettier tend to be confined to very small rooms to keep that framerate solid. There are some games that manage to be pretty AND run smoothly, but those are universally huge-budget games.

I admit it doesn't have any interesting enemies shown in the trailer, everything shown looks crazy generic. Still, aside from Vanishing Realms, which is sadly quite short (around 3 hours), there haven't been any dungeon crawlers, so beggars can't really be choosers.

Doesn't matter much to me anyway. I don't have a Rift, I refuse to use ReVive, so this game won't see any money from me unless they scoot over to Steam.

News Comments > Crisis Action VR Early Access
14. Re: LG VR HMD Specs Jul 25, 2017, 23:37 HoSpanky

Oh dear lord Horrorscope, have you not downloaded The Lab on Steam yet? Grab it and RecRoom. Both are free. The Lab has visuals that make you wonder WTF all these other devs are doing, as it's not only super detailed, but runs like a champ. Lots of little games in it.

RecRoom is THE multiplayer game for VR, don't let the cartooney look drive you away.

9. Re: Crisis Action VR Early Access Jul 25, 2017, 16:26 HoSpanky

Luke wrote on Jul 25, 2017, 15:34:
As always let's pump this hardware out there will always be someone thinking its the comming of Christ....people never learn

I'm not sure what you're bitching about here. VR hardware? This game?

News Comments > PC Building Simulator This Fall
6. Re: PC Building Simulator This Fall Jul 25, 2017, 13:53 HoSpanky

Seems like this is a solution looking for a problem. Someone looking to build a pc for the first time would be better served using YouTube tutorials...you know, since they don't require you to have a pc to watch them.

5. Re: Crisis Action VR Early Access Jul 25, 2017, 13:45 HoSpanky

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 25, 2017, 13:40:
2D screens, yep not good.

But in 3D, one might be surprised, that depth going down corridors you feel it.

From the two reviews Steam has so far, this game is indeed garbage.

4. Re: Crisis Action VR Early Access Jul 25, 2017, 13:43 HoSpanky

Zyrxil wrote on Jul 25, 2017, 11:46:
Wow that is janky as fuck. Is this the start of the wave of ultra shitty low effort games done by people with no development experience, for VR?

WOOooah there buddy. The START? Steam is overloaded with FAR worse VR stuff. Not that this is GOOD, but realize it's SO much better looking than most VR games right now. There are a million of them that look no better than minecraft because the devs don't know what "optimization" is, and/or games that have one very simple mechanic and that's the entire game. That was FINE when the headsets first came out but now people really ought to be expecting more from their VR games.

Sadly, RecRoom outdoes 90% of the paid VR games on Steam. That's not a knock on RecRoom; it's crazy great. But if a free game is a better shooting game than yours, it's time to rethink your designation as a "game developer".

News Comments > Age of Heroes VR Released
8. Re: Age of Heroes VR Released Jul 21, 2017, 17:06 HoSpanky

I wasn't implying everyone SHOULD get laser surgery. Just that I didn't even think about the headset accommodating glasses, so it wasn't factored into any of my comparison.

I don't have bridge crew. Not enough friends with VR headsets. I have one friend with a Vive, so we play RecRoom, SportsbarVR, and now Raw Data.

Oh, one more consideration...plan your gameplay space. I moved mine from the garage (lots of room, but uncomfortable) to the family room. There's a low hanging fan/light in there, I told myself "don't reach up over your head". Your brain will remember that sort of thing for approximately 15 seconds. I hit it in under a minute. It's now gone, being replaced with a low profile light this weekend.

6. Re: Age of Heroes VR Released Jul 21, 2017, 15:01 HoSpanky

THe Rift HAD tracking issues. Those are mostly a thing of the past. I've seen a few people say the three-camera setup is fidgety, but that's likely people who think THEIR USB controller is magical and isn't getting flooded. Use two controllers if you're using three cameras. You DO have to pay for the extra camera(s?), but the cost difference isn't enough to suddenly recommend the Vive.

Valkyrie is a pretty rough ride, and a terrible introduction to VR. Barrel rolling the ship is the surest route to barf city, I never ever use that. I can stand about 3 rounds of it before I need to stop using the system for a while.

The knuckles controllers look SWEET, but keep in mind they currently DO NOT work with original base stations...you'll need to buy the controllers AND a new pair of Lighthouses. At that point you'll be halfway to another headset.

Roomscale IS easier to set up with the Vive, and a lot of the games I listed DEMAND Roomscale. The Glasses compatibility just wasn't even on my radar, got laser surgery 18 years ago, haven't regretted it for a moment. If you don't have AWFUL vision, you'll find that these headsets offer a really neat trick...the screen is literally an inch from your eyes, and while depth perception still works, the image is still RIGHT THERE. A lot of people can see perfectly clearly without glasses, depending on what those glasses correct.

Also, IF you choose Vive, please don't use ReVive for anything other than the free stuff on the Oculus store. They will need to get native support eventually, but buying things for a Vive on their store simply sends them the message that people are a-ok with paying full price for a game that they don't support properly.

I'd love it if a few Blue's regulars got VR kits, we could possibly schedule some playtimes. VR's current player counts don't lend well to just hopping into a game and playing with random people. RecRoom is the only game that's always, ALWAYS got people to play with. Some are children, and they're a mixed bag, I've had some shockingly competent child teammates. So, do your homework, pick a kit, and come play!

2. Re: Age of Heroes VR Released Jul 21, 2017, 12:14 HoSpanky

I have a Vive. The headset is heavier than the Rift, and isn't terribly comfortable until I got the ($100) Deluxe Audio Strap.

The $400 Rift deal is spectacular, and if I was making the decision now, it'd be hard to ignore that it's LESS than half the cost of a comfortable Vive. What the Vive has going for it is it's Roomscale is easier to set up and doesn't require getting wires from each sensor to the computer. They just need power. Rift's Roomscale is apparently less fidgety to set up than it once was, but I still see people saying it gets tricky with USB bandwidth. If your mobo doesn't have multiple USB controllers on it, you'll need an expansion card for the third camera to be reliable.

This makes it sound like the Rift isn't as good as the Vive, but honestly, neither one's setup is foolproof. The Rift's controllers are universally considered better than the Vive, but that's also partially because they had an extra year to work on them. The next set of controllers coming to Lighthouse setups (Vive, and the upcoming LG unit) are...strange looking but apparently fantastic. But...not included in current Vive packages, so consider cost there again.

I really enjoy my Vive, but at $400, get the Rift. It's good hardware. That's ignoring the 7 (supposedly fantastic) games it comes with, and the native access to the Oculus store, which has a much better selection of games...Steam is lousy with tech demos parading as games.

Either way you choose to go, there are a few games you absolutely should pick up:
1: Vanishing Realms is a short (3 hours or so) dungeon adventure that desperately needs DLC, or a sequel. It's exactly what you'd want from a VR fantasy game.
2: Eve Valkyrie is a balls-to-the-wall space dogfighter. Xbox controller is kinda required, but HOTAS for it is overkill. Arenas are packed with debris, so it's not wing-commandery...it's almost more like Descent.
3: Raw Data is a two player online co-op wave shooter. Each level gets progressively larger and longer and more visually impressive. Four very different playable characters with some unlocks to earn for each that change the game entirely.
4: RecRoom. It's free! Always populated online-only grab bag of games, set in an early 90's style gym. It's cartooney, but brilliantly made, with clever mechanics all around. Sports Bar VR is similar, but is...games you find in a fully realized sports bar. SBVR is not free, though.
5: To The Top. Crazy parkour game, no teleporting. This one's screenshots aren't impressive, but while the levels may have skimped a BIT too much on polycount, it's smooth as butter and simultaneously exhilarating and terrifying. I don't care if you think you're immune to VR's immersion, this one will have your hands sweating when you're looking for the hidden gems on each level. They're placed in truly cruel locations, forcing you to perform multiple successive perfect jumps across nothingness to grab. Levels are massive and have wildly varying themes and art styles. Soundtrack is actual songs and not a boring techno thumping, love it or hate it.

Ok done writing this novel.

News Comments > Blizzard Dropping XP and Vista Support
18. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 20, 2017, 20:37 HoSpanky

Tom wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 19:08:
GothicWizard wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 18:04:
There is not going to be another OS. Win10 is the base line. They will add, modify it but it's going to be win10. They are in essence taking the mac X approach from all the interviews I've read.
Whether they call it Windows 11, 12, 13, vs "Creators Update", "Fall Creators Update", "Redstone XXVII" makes little difference. Just naming. A new version is a new version.

No. Nonono. That's like saying that when they patch a game, it's a whole NEW game. The recent free DLC for Titanfall 2 doesn't make it Titanfall 3. There may be major changes, but there's two important differences:
1: they don't require a complete reinstallation
2: they don't ask for money for the update

It's still windows 10. Each year they plan to roll out a "big" update. That's the plan.

As for simon Says, he clearly thinks MS should support an operating system infinitely, since HE doesn't want to spend any money upgrading. Sure thing there buddy, how about you do YOUR job for free and see how far that gets you.

News Comments > Blizzard Dropping XP and Vista Support
1. Re: Blizzard Dropping XP and Vista Support Jul 20, 2017, 10:20 HoSpanky

Here I was gonna say "meh, they'll probably still run" until I read to the end. Oh well, like they say, Microsoft doesn't even support those OSs anymore. I'm sure SOMEONE will complain, because hey, they don't want to upgrade their OS more than once every 20 years, but too bad.  

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Free DLC and Free Trial Next Week
6. Re: Titanfall 2 Free DLC and Free Trial Next Week Jul 19, 2017, 15:11 HoSpanky

The single player campaign to this is fantastic. It's short-ish (7 hours or so for me, did not find all secrets), but nothing feels like filler. I honestly never fired up the multiplayer, can't comment on that.

The wallrunning feels weird at first but it quickly becomes second nature, the crazy traversal is half of what makes it so fun. The story is well presented, with a few exceptionally incredible missions, the rest are "only" very good. It's one of very few games that I finished and thought "yeah, I'm gonna play through that entire thing again".

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Tease
3. Re: Heroes of the Storm Tease Jul 19, 2017, 15:04 HoSpanky

Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 19, 2017, 12:56:
Mannoroth! That would be awesome!

Yeah, that'd be sweet. I'm betting it'll be something like Kil'jaden or Sargaras though. One of the boring bipedal demons. Easier to animate. There's a reason Lunara bounds instead of walking.

1688 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo