Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1935 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > PUBG Sanhok Launches
4. Re: PUBG Sanhok Launches Jun 19, 2018, 12:14 HoSpanky

So itís pronounced Sah-nok, but spelled San-hok?

Did Kayne West come up with that?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > WHO Classifies "Gaming Disorder"
22. Re: WHO Classifies Jun 18, 2018, 15:05 HoSpanky

Doesnít help that people have turned the word ďaddictiveĒ into a positive thing in reference to games. How many review or ads do you see about games where they brag about how addictive their game is?

Addiction is never a good thing. It implies that youíre doing something you probably no longer enjoy, but youíre compelled to waste your time doing it anyway.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2018, Part 11
2. Re: It Came from E3 2018, Part 11 Jun 18, 2018, 13:46 HoSpanky

Also Earthfall isnít the only game to play like l4d. The vermintide games are extremely similar, just with permanent upgrades. Clearly the author of the article was paid to make it appear to be objective, but the second half reeks of company-written details.  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jun 18, 2018, 12:46 HoSpanky

While I donít think PUBG is an asset flip, as itís not built using demo code, I do think it looks super generic, which is why their accusations of copycats are absurd...their game doesnít have a damn thing in it that hasnít been done before, and done exactly the same.  

News Comments > It Came from E3 2018, Part 11
1. Re: It Came from E3 2018, Part 11 Jun 18, 2018, 12:38 HoSpanky

Cyberpunk articles:
Thrilled to hear the game already runs great, I donít have a 1080 to, but I also donít use a 4K monitor. Pretty sure I wonít have trouble getting it to run nicely at 1440 on a gtx1080.

As for the statue, of COURSE theyíre gonna go up on eBay. Most journalists make painfully little money, and selling a super rare statue could mean getting a free weekend or two instead of writing articles.

News Comments > Wreckfest Wreleased
3. Re: We Happy Few Delay; Refunds Jun 15, 2018, 01:10 HoSpanky

Iíd left this game for dead a couple years ago. Was surprised and pleased to see all the changes. Game runs WAY smoother now, although Iíve seen complaints that it runs worse than it used to...on weaker configurations. Apparently it heavily favors Intel processors and Ryzen, older AMD chips run like trash. The game is BONKERS physics-heavy, and expects quite a bit out of your CPU.

I havenít played the actual release version (just the one right before it), but when we get home itíll be one of the things I fiddle with over the weekend.

News Comments > MS on PC Gaming
26. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jun 14, 2018, 13:59 HoSpanky

So, I get that people have complaints about odd behavior by UWP software, and itís especially annoying that they donít have any sort of error log. But they specifically are resistant to overlays and mods to keep them from getting hacked. No one like cheaters, and UWP is intentionally obtuse for that reason. The games are designed to be played online with PC and console players. Iím just happy that I can play Forza Horizon 3 (and soon 4) online with a larger pool of players than Iíd have if it was locked to PC only. Itís probably why the games use some weird network protocol, itís probably the same one the Xbones use.
Itís locked to Windows 10 because they can, and there may even be infrastructure that UWP is reliant on. Itís not *all* just to piss off users of old OSs, but itís likely intended to help entice stragglers to switch to 10.

The store aaaabsolutely needs some work, especially the progress on downloads part. I recently had to reinstall FH3, and the store acted like it stopped downloading halfway thru. My router was quite sure that machine was still pulling piles of data, and yep, eventually it was done. Hopefully MS will actually make the store a reasonably functional place and crap like that will just be ďgrowing painsĒ.

News Comments > LawBreakers Goes F2P; Ending in September
26. Re: LawBreakers Goes F2P; Ending in September Jun 14, 2018, 09:44 HoSpanky

So I guess the real question here is, will they release the server software so the game doesnít die when they turn off the servers in September? They could then sell the game for cheap on Steam, in the $2-$5 range, and make more money than if they shut it down entirely. SOMEONE would always keep a server running. It could turn into a LAN party favorite (theyíre rare now, but not dead). None of this would be particularly difficult for them to do, unlike the suggestions of turning it into a different genre. Why let all that work disappear entirely? Why not give it a chance to still sell (deeply discounted) copies?  

News Comments > Jurassic World Evolution Released
3. Re: Jurassic World Evolution Released Jun 12, 2018, 20:14 HoSpanky

Well they had a neat booth at E3, but yeah, the game didnít look interesting. Got a couple giant-ass t-shirts for it, made to clearly fit one of the gameís dinos, or maybe a human whoís spent their entire life making extremely poor choices.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 12, 2018, 20:10 HoSpanky

Iíll believe it when I see it. Intel seems woefully far behind in this race to begin with, but maybe theyíll pull off something impressive.

Also that Raja dood looks like he found a joke moustache and put it on for the photo. Itís super unflattering.

News Comments > Satisfactory Announced
4. Re: Satisfactory Announced Jun 12, 2018, 08:12 HoSpanky

Holy shit, itís Factorio 3D!

Obviously not quite at the same level of madness, but a lot closer than I thought possible. Co-op factory building? Yep, so in. So very in.

News Comments > Win10 Exclusive Gears of War 5 Announced
4. Re: Win10 Exclusive Gears of War 5 Announced Jun 11, 2018, 14:10 HoSpanky

Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 11, 2018, 12:13:
This always works so well for them. Remember what a big hit....uh....ANY Windows Market game was?

Yeah, me either.

They donít care about you if youíre not on win10, and honestly, Iíd rather they do this win10 store thing than the inevitable alternative. I never thought Iíd get a Forza game on PC, but here we are. It may not be the best way possible to get these games onto PC, but THEY ARE ON PC.

News Comments > Generation Zero Announced
6. Re: Generation Zero Announced Jun 7, 2018, 23:08 HoSpanky

Slashman wrote on Jun 7, 2018, 19:50:
Why 80s Sweden?

Because this is based off the 80ís suburban Sweden where all of the Simon StŚlenhag paintings take place. Look that name up in google images.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
31. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 7, 2018, 08:13 HoSpanky

jdreyer wrote on Jun 7, 2018, 04:42:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 6, 2018, 02:38:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 5, 2018, 22:00:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 5, 2018, 16:13:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 5, 2018, 14:52:
Can't wait for Wreck it Ralph 2. Not gonna watch that trailer.

I can respect that. Worth noting, the trailer gives nothing away. It just gets you hyped for the film.

You sound pretty confident about that. Inside info?

Am I missing something? My statement is based on watching the trailer.

If you haven't seen the whole movie, how do you know the trailer gives nothing away?

What heís saying is it doesnít really show anything that resembles a plot point. It seems to focus on silly self-contained joke sequences. But I donít blame you for trying to avoid spoilers to something you want to see. I was SO thrilled to find out that the Deadpool 2 trailer jokes werenít in the movie, or were all changed in some fashion. Comedy relies heavily on surprise, so usually every joke from a trailer ends up making that scene less fun.

News Comments > Steam Opening the Gates
48. Re: Steam Opening the Gates Jun 7, 2018, 07:59 HoSpanky

KataSteel wrote on Jun 6, 2018, 21:42:
Well if you don't use the assets you buy what good are they?

I have been working on my game about 4 years. It is a solo project and I love to do it.
I'm a coder not an artist.
How would you expect me to get the artwork, models, animations, etc if not to get them from purchased assets?

Some people just don't think.

If your game is a solid piece of work, using store assets wonít really be an issue. One of my favorite VR games (and a highly rated one) is mostly store assets (Vanishing Realms). The difference is the coding involved makes it into a compelling game. Asset flips are barely games, they use example code meant to show new coders how basic functions work, toss in some store assets and drop out a new turd like that within a week.

What YOU are doing isnít asset-flipping.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 6, 2018, 15:21 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Jun 6, 2018, 14:10:
Whilst pretty cool, underwater data centers don't seem all that feasible or tenable. Why not just do underground data centers? They's be cheaper and a lot more accessible. Hell, you can even use geothermal to power them.

In this case, I think they literally did it just to prove they could.

News Comments > Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered Edition Next Month
13. Re: Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered Edition Next Month Jun 5, 2018, 09:58 HoSpanky

VaranDragon wrote on Jun 5, 2018, 08:26:
Its a shame no one remembers the original Red Faction, a FPS with great gunplay, and COMPLETE DYNAMIC destruction, not this gimmicky static 3rd person stuff where your explosions don't even leave craters. You could actually dig tunnels with a rocket launcher in the original, I shit you not.

Yes, but there were limits. You could only dig a set number of holes and then it stopped working. The destruction wasnít even remotely at the level of Guerilla, where you could take out building supports and watch a tower fall into a building next to it. Yes, things perhaps fell apart a bit too easily, or sometimes a building would stay up with an impossible number of missing sections, but itís STILL one of the best real-time physics engines. If Crackdown 3 ever comes out, it may finally be the new king of mass destruction, although theyíre severely dialing it back in single player. The physics calculations are gonna be done by external servers, and they canít guarantee people will have internet for single player. I really hope they offer the ability to turn it back on for single player.

Aaaaanyway, I do hope this means they may be making a sequel. Maaaaybe put more color into the next one? Guerilla did have a horribly bland color scheme, although that didnít stop me from playing.

News Comments > Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered Edition Next Month
5. Re: Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered Edition Next Month Jun 4, 2018, 23:30 HoSpanky

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 4, 2018, 22:18:
Ah yes, Red Faction: Smash the entire world with a Hammer.

Unfortunately this game is so old I don't even have it on Steam or anything, I have it on DVD I think.

*EDIT* Nope, Gamersgate. Apparently Gamersgate owners are not going to get the remastered version for free.

Bummer. The Steam one drops to $4 pretty consistantly, so if you grab it on sale youíll be all set.

News Comments > The Crew 2 Closed Beta Keys
3. Re: The Crew 2 Closed Beta Keys Jun 2, 2018, 14:25 HoSpanky

Oh man, jacomvandy, those cutscenes are AWFUL. I think my main issue is the same one I've always had with this developer, all the way back to Test Drive Unlimited. The driving model is...not good. It's extremely arcadey while also having a SHIT chasecam that never feels like it's giving me a good idea of how far my car is turning.

Back to Forza Horizon 3.

News Comments > Kabounce Rolls Out With Free Weekend
1. Re: Kabounce Rolls Out With Free Weekend Jun 1, 2018, 08:45 HoSpanky

Tooooootally not trying to make you think of Rocket League.  

1935 Comments. 97 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo