Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1337 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Dec 3, 2016, 13:25 HoSpanky

Dacote wrote on Dec 3, 2016, 13:08:
Psychopathy is a personality disorder characterized by a lack of empathy...

Cutter clearly believes that if you have money, you have no real problems. In a way, he's right, as there's no concern about food, shelter, clothing. But bad shit can happen to anyone, it's just that some people see that as "that's what you GET for being rich!".

Jay Leno one stated that no one cares about your personal problems if you're rich, unless they feel vindication from it. Now, I'm not a fan of Leno, as I have no doubt he has employees who can't afford a car, while he sits on multiple warehouses full of cars he'll drive maybe once. But he's right that it's hard to empathize with people far above your own pay grade.

Kojima was treated pretty poorly, which I still don't understand...wasn't he their ONLY claim to fame in video games anymore? They should have been treating him like John Romero treated himself at GoD.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 3, 2016, 13:07 HoSpanky

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 3, 2016, 12:50:
When will people learn not to hand someone an unlocked device with compromising pics.

Absolutely. If you hand your unlocked phone to someone, ASSUME they will see anything on there.

You should be able to tag said photos, put them in a specific Album and tag it as requiring re-authentication to access, just like store purchases. Will people DO that extra step? Undoubtedly not everyone, but I think with awareness it would be a good feature.

News Comments > Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition Announced
3. Re: Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition Announced Dec 2, 2016, 12:07 HoSpanky

ItBurn wrote on Dec 2, 2016, 10:49:
I know some people love that game, but I haaated it. Just wanted to give my opinion in order to save you some dollars. It's the most linear shooter I've ever played(other than on rail shooters...). The only control you have is what weapon you use and where you shoot. This is the opposite of what I enjoy. People who love this usually love it for the supposedly awesome shooting, but I found it mediocre, so there was nothing left for me.

On-rails shooters are the only way to effectively use big set pieces, which is what Bulletstorm went for. I don't fault it for that; open world games never, ever have spectacle like Bulletstorm. I fault it for half the "jokes" being just a stream of curses. Some were genuinely funny! Most were just crude and not remotely clever.

The actual gameplay was amusing, especially with the whip/grapple thing. I don't think an updated version of the game is worth full price, though. I'd pay...maybe $20 to get this, which will look as pretty as my lying memory thinks the original is.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 1, 2016, 19:34 HoSpanky

descender wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 19:31:
The purpose of that large of a data pipe is not for any individual device to be able to saturate it. It's so that you can have many devices all pulling at their maximum rates simultaneously.

Most consumer routers aren't even capable of 100MBit speeds, a different problem entirely.

I agree! I'm simply stating what some customers think it means versus what it's FOR.

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 1, 2016, 18:14 HoSpanky

10gbps is pointless. The vast majority of users run every device over wireless, which hits around 350mbps max. Even wired laptops can't hit gigabit most of the time, not even close.

The hidden downside to offering gigabit service is that about 10% of subscribers will complain if they don't see gigabit speeds in speed tests, no matter what turd of a device they're testing on. These shitbags REFUSE to understand that most devices aren't actually capable of gigabit speeds. We have a laptop with an ungimped fsb that can hit about 960, and when we take it out to customers' to show them that yes, they are getting gigabit, they accuse us of having a device that cheats to hit those numbers.

News Comments > Super Blackjack Battle II Turbo Edition Announced
1. Re: Super Blackjack Battle II Turbo Edition Announced Dec 1, 2016, 12:17 HoSpanky

So, it's a game about a schizophrenic rooster?  

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 29, 2016, 13:26 HoSpanky

The dtv streaming service won't kill traditional tv. Until the general public stops requiring their hands to be held when anything electronic is involved (which will be never), there will always be a massive amount of people wanting to just turn it on and watch.

And no, waiting a generation won't do a damn thing. You'd have thought that a generation into owning cars, people would have the tiniest clue about maintaining them, but people regularly destroy their engines because they don't even bother to check their oil level every month or so. So I don't see people suddenly becoming independent enough to sort out streaming services. I work for a cable company and I'm asked almost daily about how someone can get Netflix on their tv. Oh, I dunno, maybe try the BIG RED NETFLIX BUTTON ON YOUR REMOTE?

News Comments > Ubisoft Adding Cross-Platform VR Support
3. Re: Ubisoft Adding Cross-Platform VR Support Nov 29, 2016, 09:07 HoSpanky

siapnar wrote on Nov 28, 2016, 23:19:
Eagle flight looks cool so I looked it up on the store. 60 bucks

HA!

Yeah, not sure it's worth $60, but it'll go on sale soon enough. Most games made for VR have to recover development cost somehow, and there just aren't that many people with VR gear yet. A very small number of VR games translate to working on a regular monitor (seated game's that use a basic controller and no meaningful camera functionality), so those can attempt to get a wider audience. Thing is, games made for VR aim at that 90 fps sweet spot, so they won't look nearly as good as games that aim for ~60, and therefore have worse chances against similar, prettier games.

That's ignoring that games for VR are inherently different from games for monitors. Motion controls change everything, as does room scale play, and developers have no friggin clue what to do with them. It doesn't help that every remotely popular VR title has forum threads from people demanding that the game be allowed to work on a normal monitor, calling the devs lazy and focusing too much on a "gimmick". They don't seem to have any concept of the difference in the controls, despite having a billion videos and articles explaining it.

News Comments > Hello Games Breaks No Man's Sky Silence
7. Re: Hello Games Breaks No Man's Sky Silence Nov 26, 2016, 13:39 HoSpanky

I think what makes me saddest about NMS and Hello Games is that they made two GREAT games, then made this super disappointment. I didn't buy it, and probably won't at any point. I agree with Horrorscope, they're better off taking the bad press, and making a sequel. Maybe offer owners of the first a hefty discount for the first week or two.

Then again, Titanfall 2 is apparently everything the first game should have been, including a single player campaign that is one of the best FPS campaigns ever, and it's selling terribly. So it's no guarantee they'll ever recover.

News Comments > HTC Calls for VR Cooperation
10. Re: HTC Calls for VR Cooperation Nov 25, 2016, 08:31 HoSpanky

Bumpy wrote on Nov 25, 2016, 05:49:
Like 3D tv, VR will never become mass popular and it eventually die except for the hardened niche fans. VR is just too cumbersome and expensive.

I think Vive already knows this which is why they are trying to get all the VR manufactures to pull together for a better chance.

Jesus, people love to beat the "like 3Dtv" horse. And these are always, ALWAYS people who haven't tried VR. Currently, it's a bit of an effort to set up. There aren't a lot of "full" games for it yet. Those are coming. Easier setups are coming.

Instead of comparing VR to something that failed, look at it as a niche-ISH product, like motorcycles. They're ALSO expensive, fiddly, and are inferior to cars in almost every way. But they sell. A LOT. Because they're absurdly fun.

VR gaming cannot replace traditional video gaming, because the interface is so different. And I don't mean just the VR controllers, I mean the way the screen is controlled; the difference between looking out a window at a mountain and being ON it. But not one single video game you've played will stick in your mind like The Lab's Robot Repair, or any of the scenarios in TheBlu. You can look up videos of these online and SAY you've seen it, and it was nothing special. Again, window and mountain.

News Comments > HTC Calls for VR Cooperation
4. Re: HTC Calls for VR Cooperation Nov 24, 2016, 19:49 HoSpanky

Personally, I'm shocked that Oculus hasn't built official Vive support in yet. Their store is 100% VR stuff, and they could sell SO many more copies of their games if they'd just....sell them to people with different hardware. Currently, the VR landscape feels a lot like the original GPU landscape, where some games worked with Voodoo cards, others worked with PowerVR, and then Geforce came along and said "ours just works with what already exists, OpenGL and Directx".

I guess Palmer Luckey's too young to remember that. *mumbles something about history and repetition*

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
2. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 20, 2016, 16:38 HoSpanky

This game is INCREDIBLY boring on a normal screen. In VR, the sense of scale and isolation are amazing, and JUST enough to distract you from the rather slow, repetitive missions. You move pretty slowly (to alleviate motion sickness), but that translates to being painfully dull when not in VR. Aaaand lookee there, the Xbone is the only platform they originally announced for that doesn't have VR. I'm betting it was planned, then put on hold until scorpio launches, and so Adr1ft has no reason to exist on the xbone for the next year. It may show up when Scorpio comes out, or it may just...be forgotten.
Sadly, early VR titles are too focused on letting you fiddle with everything and calling THAT gameplay, with very minimal environments. Only one game went for broke on being an actual adventure, and it's made by one guy. No one's even announced anything similar to Vanishing Realms, and I have no idea why not, it's fucking fantastic.

News Comments > World of Warcraft 12th Anniversary Celebration
2. Re: World of Warcraft 12th Anniversary Celebration Nov 20, 2016, 16:22 HoSpanky

Wallshadows wrote on Nov 20, 2016, 16:03:
Here's a shitty dog and tokens.

To be fair, I hated the PILE of garbage they sent all my toons last year. I'd rather just get the dog and the 12% gain token. it does feel a bit low-key, but it's never been a huge event. The first time they sent out any goodies for an anniversary, which was the 4th year, they just sent everyone a bear pet.

This year's pet feels weak mostly because it's just a SLIGHT color change from the other mortal Corgi, "Corgnelius". And it doesn't hold a candle to the original, the Molten Corgi, but you can't get him anymore.

News Comments > Overwatch Free Weekend
10. Re: I played it! Nov 20, 2016, 13:41 HoSpanky

Ant wrote on Nov 19, 2016, 21:00:
I decided to try it out since it was free and would be playable on this old gaming box with its almost month old, updated 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (HPE) Service Pack (SP1) installation. Battle.net and the game seems buggy, but then it might be the ancient hardwares. Lots of choppiness when too many things are going on. However, it was still kind of fun even though this old school gamer sucked badly. I like being D.Va with her mech suit with heavy armor! Game was visually nice.

Im gonna lean toward hardware here, Ant. My friends have a very diverse set of hardware, and Overwatch runs like a champ on all of them. How old of hardware are we talking about??

News Comments > Overwatch Free Weekend
7. Re: Overwatch Free Weekend Nov 19, 2016, 10:23 HoSpanky

I only play Overwatch when my friends want to play, I don't enjoy it solo. It's not that we're a terribly cohesive team, we probably sit around the 40% mark on wins. It can devour an evening pretty easily, and is polished to an incredible level.

The initial difficulty of the game is understanding that you're supposed to switch characters to counter your opponents' team, and you need to learn who those counters are and how to effectively use them. Your first few rounds WILL feel like flailing about with very low success.

And Luke hates everything, ESPECIALLY popular things, he's a Data Hipster. He never, ever has anything positive to say; his personal life clearly is very disappointing.

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie for Vive Released
9. Re: EVE: Valkyrie for Vive Released Nov 18, 2016, 14:29 HoSpanky

Bodolza wrote on Nov 18, 2016, 13:20:
HoSpanky wrote on Nov 18, 2016, 00:06:
It's neat, but it's not the picture-perfect thing you may believe it's gonna be.

You've got some high standards there. It's the entire Earth. Are you really expecting high-resolution 3D imagery to be available and instantly loaded?

I've spent several hours flying around, and I'm pretty impressed with what they've done. From a few hundred feet up, things look pretty great. Interestingly, non-cities fare better close up. It certainly gives you a relative sense of scale like nothing else.

Oh, I agree that the wilderness areas look pretty great.

I don't expect them to hand-model every single building, but iconic ones could stand some love. The streaming is expected, yes, but is jarring and sometimes takes longer to load an area than you even spend there. The Jesus in Rio literally looks like a model that would have looked bad in a PS1 title, and I stood there for a good minute, hoping a hand-built version would pop in.

I would LOVE to work for Google as a modeler for Google earth. And they clearly have people who do this, as some buildings have impossibly proper texturing (Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, has Colts banners on the sides), but still somewhat wonky modeling.

I do wonder if "shitty models" is why the framerate is solid, though. Will check those buildings out on the desktop tonight and see if they look better.

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie for Vive Released
7. Re: EVE: Valkyrie for Vive Released Nov 18, 2016, 00:06 HoSpanky

Kxmode wrote on Nov 17, 2016, 23:22:
TBH Google's FREE Earth VR is more a killer app for VIVE/VR than a $60 ho-hum space shooter. I was seriously thinking about upgrading my video card and buying the VIVE to check out Earth VR! I'm not quite there yet... but very close.

It's neat, but it's not the picture-perfect thing you may believe it's gonna be. It uses all the same model data from the PC/cellphone version, and up close, buildings do NOT look good. Big cities look pretty neat, but even landmarks aren't done very well. The Eiffel Tower, the Rio Jesus, Empire State...all look pretty wonky.

Being able to fly around is super neat, but the streaming loading means stuff doesn't look decent for at least 10 seconds after it's onscreen, and NYC took over 30 seconds to stop fiddling around with upping the details.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Vive wireless weak link Nov 15, 2016, 17:55 HoSpanky

The Vive already has a front facing camera that's activated by double-tapping a button on either controller, or on the headset itself. But I did mean getting lost in the game in a GOOD way, where you forget you're in a living room (or garage), and have no clue what direction you're facing in the real world.

I've disabled the front facing camera, as it oddly causes performance issues even when not being used. It's just as easy to pop the headset up a bit to see where you're at, or get to the computer if something went wonky.

News Comments > etc.
2. The martian Nov 15, 2016, 13:58 HoSpanky

Hoo boy, the Martian experience is getting bombed on Steam. Apparently it's about 15-20 minutes long, with zero replayability and no freedom to just fuck around. I'm not terribly surprised, except that they're asking $20 for a confusing interactive ad for the movie.

News Comments > SteamVR to Get Linux and Mac OS X Support
5. Re: SteamVR to Get Linux and Mac OS X Support Nov 15, 2016, 13:29 HoSpanky

Kxmode wrote on Nov 15, 2016, 13:02:
Frijoles wrote on Nov 15, 2016, 11:49:
Venture Capital money.

Interesting. How long is the honeymoon going to last before investors demand a return on their investment?

That's a fair question. Currently VR is either "too expensive" (Vive/Rift, and also bullshit), or not exactly top notch (PSVR). There IS no killer app, as devs are still tinkering with what basic mechanics work, and are fun. Motion controllers change EVERYTHING, and current locomotion options leave a lot to be desired.

It's a hard sell, for sure. The Vive NEVER fails to amaze, but the setup required is daunting, and there are still some weird showstoppers, like how The Lab refuses to let another program run after you close it. VR is enthusiast-ready, but this generation of gear is NOT ready for Joe Moron. And that's before looking at software, which has only a handful of "full size" titles so far.

But this is a tech that has incredible potential, and can swallow a user at a level you can't imagine until you try it. It's difficult to NOT be excited about it once you've experienced it, and once a reasonable function of locomotion is sorted out, it's going to open up an incredible range of games. and THAT is when investors will start looking for returns on investment.

1337 Comments. 67 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo