Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On December 23, 2002
Supporter -
Total Comments 2307 (Senior)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Report: Gearbox Staff Unhappy with Lower Than Expected Borderlands 3 Bonuses

20. Re: Report: Gearbox Staff Unhappy with Lower Than Expected Borderlands 3 Bonuses Apr 2, 2020, 08:19 HoSpanky

Mordhaus wrote on Apr 2, 2020, 02:50:
I wonder where all that Epic money went? Did they not sell some copies on Steam as well, or did people boycott them after their CEO deep-throated Sweeney and vomited the party line about how Epic was going to be the savior for devs?

I think people saw the reviews, saying it doesn’t innovate at all and is basically the exact same game as the first two. I was bored out of my mind halfway thru BL2, only finished it when friends wanted to play co-op. If they make a Bl4, they need to redesign the gameplay and add more variation to it. Just “tons of guns!” isn’t enough.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More About Playing Half-Life Alyx Without VR

14. Re: More About Playing Half-Life Alyx Without VR Mar 27, 2020, 20:37 HoSpanky

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 27, 2020, 18:22:
fakespyder wrote on Mar 27, 2020, 16:04:
Worthabuys gameplay video to me really highlights how immersive VR must be. I love the way he opens a door with one hand while gingerly sticking his pistol through with the other.

[url=]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKO3WJpvV9Y[/url]
/The end of the video made me genuinely smile for the first time in a over a week.
So I started watching and when he didn't know the name of the manhacks at the beginning I was a little perturbed. But I stuck through till the end and you were right.

Stupid question; what is the inventory management. The continual grenade juggling looked annoying and awkward.

You get two spots for items, one on each wrist. Grenades are SUPPOSED to be hard to come by, and you have to choose if you're going to take a self-healing syringe or a grenade for each. They do that so that when you're reloading, which is done by reaching back over your shoulder (into your backpack), you'll only pull out the ammo for THAT gun.
Ammo inventory is done by dropping clips over your shoulder into your backpack. Alyx will say out loud when she's low on clips (take one out, she'll say "only three left" or "last one!").

News Comments > More About Playing Half-Life Alyx Without VR

9. Re: More About Playing Half-Life Alyx Without VR Mar 27, 2020, 15:30 HoSpanky

Just finished the game, took about 14 hours, and I missed some stuff even though I THOUGHT I was quite thorough.

Valve never, EVER said "We guarantee our games will never need advanced equipment to play". In fact, Half life 1 and 2 required hefty rigs when they came out, I don't see what the difference is here. Their goal with each HL game was to push gaming forward, and Alyx is no different.

If you don't want to get a VR kit, go watch someone else play it on YouTube. It'll be a far more authentic experience of the game than if you played a hacked together, absolutely feature-devoid version of it.

News Comments > Half-Life: Alyx Playable Without VR

4. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Playable Without VR Mar 26, 2020, 17:18 HoSpanky

Slashman wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 15:15:
HoSpanky wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 12:35:
They'll then use these completely broken logic conclusions to determine that VR is terrible, since they can't even imagine that the headset and controls are absolutely key to making the game spectacular.

Maybe that right there is the whole problem with VR.

I wouldn't call it a problem -with- VR, but it's definitely a problem -for- VR.

Most of the friction is from people who haven't tried it, and yet have already made up their minds about it. Or, worse, they've tried cellphone VR, which is awful, and assumed that was how PCVR works. It's where most of the "VR makes me nauseous, even using teleporting" comments come from.
Then there's the assholes who put their "friends" in PCVR, and force them to do rollercoasters and other intentionally nauseating experiences. That's PRECISELY how you get people to think VR is sickening, but I've read a disappointing number of accounts of this being done.

I've had somewhere in the range of 3 dozen people try VR using my setup. Every single one of them was awestruck, even my tech-grouchy MOM. Each person wasn't shown the same things....I tailored the experience to what level of gaming/electronics prowess each had. My mom was never put into any time-restrictive games, but into exploratory experiences. Meanwhile, my nieces were put into TiltBrush, where they went nuts painting things. Friends with gaming experience were put into game types that interested them.

Now, out of those 3 dozen or so, how many bought VR headsets? Four of my friends now have headsets, although one of them had already purchased his without trying my setup. I'll be conservative and say that probably two of them found it compelling enough to buy the hardware.

That sounds like a bad percentage, but it's not. If you take friends out on your boat, how many of them would you expect to go buy a boat because of how much fun they had? Right now the main issue for VR is perception, and EVERY person who tried my setup had a blast. Not one of them would say VR isn't neat; it's fucking magical. As headsets drop in cost and setup friction (the Quest is definitely heading in the right direction), I'd bet a couple more of those 3 dozen people ends up with a headset of some variety.

Anyway, INSANELY huge wall of text tl;dr: You really need to try VR prior to passing judgement on it, otherwise you're arguing from a platform of ignorance.

News Comments > Half-Life: Alyx Playable Without VR

2. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Playable Without VR Mar 26, 2020, 12:35 HoSpanky

I wonder how people will manage the tripmine defuser in 2D. It's a 3d puzzle with a VERY short timer.

Other puzzles could probably be done over time, as there's usually no time crunch. They'd be infuriatingly difficult, but rarely are they "you die if you fail". Well, mostly. You can see where they used to have two-handed requirement puzzles in the game that were toned down for those complaining that they only have one hand to work with. If Valve finds that only a handful (hurhur) of people actually use the one-handed mode, expect their next game to demand both hands.

What will happen, though, is people will use a 2D mod, and complain that it doesn't look like a AAA game (because AAA games don't have to squeeze a solid 90x2 FPS), the combat is too easy (it's designed to compensate for human imprecision), and the levels are claustrophobic in design (VR works best when things are close up). They'll then use these completely broken logic conclusions to determine that VR is terrible, since they can't even imagine that the headset and controls are absolutely key to making the game spectacular.

News Comments > DiRT Rally 2.0 Game of the Year Edition Races Out

1. Re: DiRT Rally 2.0 Game of the Year Edition Races Out Mar 25, 2020, 13:43 HoSpanky

so, which publication listed this game as their GOTY?  

News Comments > Ghost Recon Breakpoint Episode 2 Adds Sam Fisher; Free Weekend Coming

4. Re: Ghost Recon Breakpoint Episode 2 Adds Sam Fisher; Free Weekend Coming Mar 25, 2020, 10:10 HoSpanky

opie wrote on Mar 24, 2020, 19:39:
FYI: the "trial" is still 63+Gigs to download. #makegamesthatfitonDVDsagain

#makegameslooklikeshitagain

News Comments > Get Child of Light for Free

7. Re: Get Child of Light for Free Mar 25, 2020, 10:02 HoSpanky

LurkerLito wrote on Mar 25, 2020, 07:44:
Always wanted to give this a try. Finally got it and I can't run it. It looks like it's one of those games that can't handle high core/thread counts. Setting affinity doesn't work, looks like if you can do more than 17 threads it just crashes immediately on start according to old steam forum posts. To run it you'd have to boot windows to a limited mode using msconfig. So uninstalled.

That makes 2 games I know of that can't handle high core counts (this and Technomancer). It always surprises me when a game made after 2010 can't handle high core counts while games made in the 1990's handle it fine like Baldur's Gate, Fallout, etc...

Super weird. You'd assume it'd only use as many as they programmed it for, and extras wouldn't be an issue. I stopped programming prior to multicore being a thing, so I dunno how deep the issue is, if it's a simple error that the programmers could fix if they bothered (or if the dev studio even exists now), or if it's some deep-rooted problem that would take days of poring over code to fix in several places.

News Comments > Valve on Why They Aren't Making L4D3 or Portal VR

3. Re: Valve on Why They Aren't Making L4D3 or Portal VR Mar 24, 2020, 21:57 HoSpanky

aka_STEVE wrote on Mar 24, 2020, 08:08:
Pretty sure the real reason is 1 word = lazy , or complacent.

They don't have any members with the ability or the drive to work years long on any kind of a game anymore.... If it can't be completed in a week or two, like a 'hat' or a 'skin' for an already established game... why should they bother.?

They spent 4 years on HL:Alyx. What's this trash you're spewing?

News Comments > Valve on Modding VR Out of Half-Life: Alyx

25. removed Mar 24, 2020, 18:32 HoSpanky

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 24, 2020, 18:48.

News Comments > etc.

4. Re: etc. Mar 24, 2020, 15:06 HoSpanky

lol I did the same thing in Alyx. The markers are right at the beginning, work on a window and has a dry eraser too. Works exactly as expected, as does almost everything in the game so far.  

News Comments > Half-Life: Alyx Preloads

30. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Preloads Mar 22, 2020, 11:50 HoSpanky

Keep right on with your invalid complaints against VR. Tomorrow, I'll be playing the new Half-life game. Meanwhile, you'll be watching videos of it on Youtube, not understanding why it's slower paced and using that as a crutch to help you feel better about missing out on it.

If it gets stellar reviews, you'll claim reviewers are only saying it's amazing because of some agenda. If it gets so-so reviews, you'll say it's flat-out awful and the worst thing to ever happen to gaming. Either way, it'll help you sleep at night.

In a few years, when you finally pick up a VR headset, you'll kick yourself for being so closed-minded. But you'll never admit to it.

VR isn't going to replace monitor gaming. It'll be another way to game, with its own types of games. If you want to play those games, you'll need to pick up the hardware for them. It's literally that simple.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization

2. Re: Saturday Mobilization Mar 21, 2020, 17:36 HoSpanky

Even simple things like webcams have skyrocketed in price. Had someone come in today looking for one, we sold out last week. Hadn't sold a single one for over two years prior. We didn't have many in stock but now we're cleaned out.  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Odyssey Free Weekend

6. Re: Assassin's Creed Odyssey Free Weekend Mar 20, 2020, 17:15 HoSpanky

Rhett wrote on Mar 20, 2020, 14:48:
Never played Origins, but I tried this after getting it for free from some Google streaming promo, and I ended up loving it and beating it. If anyone's been put off by the "same-y-ness" of AC games over the years, I highly recommend this one.

Agreed, although it runs worse than Origins, and oddly isn't as pretty either. Both of the recent AC games are quite good. I lean a bit more toward Origins, because the story is a bit more focused.

News Comments > Get Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris and Tomb Raider for Free

4. Re: Get Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris and Tomb Raider for Free Mar 20, 2020, 16:52 HoSpanky

Nucas wrote on Mar 20, 2020, 16:23:
Tomb Raider is one of the most restrictive games i've ever played. the game shifts you from running to walking to crouching and sneaking without any interaction. just hold W and click on the enemies.

the "secret tombs" were also placed directly in your path and so clearly telegraphed that it could have passed for self-aware parody.

this kind of "insult the player's intelligence" design just runs through the whole game. its the most baffling disconnect between a game's steam score and my lived experience i've ever had.

They definitely opened up the followup titles. The third one is like 70% optional areas.

News Comments > Valve on Alyx and the Future of Half-Life

18. Re: Valve on Alyx and the Future of Half-Life Mar 19, 2020, 10:23 HoSpanky

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 09:27:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 04:01:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 18, 2020, 19:53:
You pretty much hit the nail on the head, Pink Tiger.
I bet you would all sing a different tune if Valve came out with a HL3 trailer that looked like the Cyberpunk trailer.
Maybe. I said I would consider HL3 if it ever was created. As for Cyberpunk -- *meh*. The trailers have looked somewhat interesting, but I'm definitely waiting for the full reviews after release. And even if they are good I'll still probably wait for a sale..

Well, about that "This isn't Half-life 3" part...
The trailer has a line from the end of EP2 in it.
Valve has said you really should replay EP2 before playing Alyx.
plus, for a while there, this link didn't originally redirect, it just displayed what you'll see if you click on it (after it does a slight redirect):

https://half-life.com/en/halflife3/

I think they're going to answer some of the questions EP2 left in the air, which might not make it ACTUALLY HL3, but...it's probably not going to be non-essential to the story, either.

News Comments > Valve on Alyx and the Future of Half-Life

5. Re: Valve on Alyx and the Future of Half-Life Mar 18, 2020, 20:51 HoSpanky

So, HL3 would have been a disappointment to everyone, yet when they bring something new to it, that’s awful too?

Christ, you guys can’t be pleased. I’ll be enjoying the game Monday, because I’m not a whiny old man who refuses to want anything truly new.

News Comments > VIVE Cosmos Elite Includes Half-Life: Alyx

8. Re: VIVE Cosmos Elite Includes Half-Life: Alyx Mar 18, 2020, 17:38 HoSpanky

HTC keeps coming out with “almost, but quite right” VR kits. If this had lighthouse tracking and controllers like the regular Cosmos, maybe it’d be a decent alternative to the Index. Unfortunately, all reviews point to that being a big no.

I am STUPID excited for Alyx’s release, especially after seeing the “not up to in-game quality” environments. No, they don’t look as good as a current AAA shooter, but they look WAY better than most VR titles, and definitely good enough for people to watch streams and not say it looks outdated.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2020, 11:45 HoSpanky

Beamer wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 11:28:
What are other mandated-shut-ins firing up this week?

I actually think I'll have to spend virtually all my work from home this week actually working, but Doom comes out on Friday, which will probably provide some incentive for more breaks next week. And the week after. And after. Until whenever we're allowed back. April? May? August? 2021?

I'm going through some of my forgotten Steam catalog. Playing Chasm right now, which is a solid-looking but forgettable castlevania clone. Also, the wife is trying out some VR games she didn't have the time to get to, like MOSS and Superhot.

I'm also still building more factories in Satisfactory, mostly "because I can", and it's fun to set up a hugely complicated system, without connecting power to it, then fire it up and see it actually produce at the rate I was hoping for.

News Comments > Horizon Zero Dawn Ultrawide Support Confirmed

3. Re: Horizon Zero Dawn Ultrawide Support Confirmed Mar 16, 2020, 09:39 HoSpanky

coldcut wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 05:21:
I don't care about ultra-wide, all I want is unlocked FPS I got the "GOTY" edition (or what it's called) and the 30 FPS and forced motion blur is killing me. Couldn't get around to finishing the game, even if I really really enjoyed it. Hoping for a good PC port...

Most games on the ps4/xbone run at 30 FPS. I didn’t really have any trouble with it versus any other game, but I will admit the motion blur meant I wasn’t strafing any more than absolutely necessary.

And I agree, I hope the game runs at an unlocked framerate. Honestly they should have already posted that information, but they’re a console dev primarily and don’t realize what PC gamers are more concerned with when it comes to ports.

2307 Comments. 116 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >