Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 2001 (Senior)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Mortal Kombat 11 Shown Off
6. Re: Mortal Kombat 11 Shown Off Jan 17, 2019, 23:06 HoSpanky

I'd be more excited if I didn't recently get Injustice 2, and what a fucking trainwreck that game is. The first one is fantastic, but the second, on PC at least, runs terribly. Special move? well, let's freeze the game for 3 seconds or so to load it, then freeze it again for a moment, then...oh, oh there it goes OH nevermind, CTD.

If I make it through a fight, MAYBE it'll get through the following cutscene. If not, restart the game and do the previous fight. SUPER.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 16, 2019, 07:29 HoSpanky

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 19:27:
"We are not promoting or being paid to distribute InfoWars. We do not have any commercial or advertising relationship with InfoWars."
Then why the fook do it?

What's the London bookies over/under on when ALex 'Asshole' Jones gets dumped from RoKu. We should start a poll, I give it 89 days.

Welp you lost that bet. Already gone.

News Comments > Law Firm "Investigates" On Behalf of Activision Blizzard Investors
4. Re: Law Firm Jan 14, 2019, 13:06 HoSpanky

ldonyo wrote on Jan 14, 2019, 10:40:
Did anyone for this investigation or is this the 21st century version of ambulance chasing?

Is this a possible insider trading investigation? Did anyone at Activision or Bungie sell a bunch of stock a week or two ahead of the announcement? Did Activision set out income projections that didnít take Bungieís leaving into account, when this would clearly already have been in the works at the close of the year?

There are SOME legitimate reasons for an investigation. And itís against Activision, so who fucking cares? Well, aside from Blizzard still being stuck there...man, wouldnít their liberation be amazing. On that, Penny-arcadeís comic today is spectacular, although I suspect Activision wonít be showing up to any PAXs for a while.

News Comments > F for Fortnite: BBB Declares Battle Royale on Epic Games
12. Re: F for Fortnite: BBB Declares Battle Royale on Epic Games Jan 10, 2019, 11:43 HoSpanky

The complaints are the type that probably got a response that the customer didnít like. Apparently itís mostly about stolen accounts, which are probably due to jackasses signing up on ďget free vbucks!Ē sites. Others like ďaccidentalĒ charges are absurd, it takes several clicks to purchase v-bucks or STW. Sounds like parents complaining that their children do dumb shit and someone else is responsible.  

News Comments > EVGA NU Audio Card Announced
9. Re: EVGA NU Audio Card Announced Jan 9, 2019, 12:57 HoSpanky

MacLeod wrote on Jan 9, 2019, 11:02:
oh, the fond memories of my Gravis Ultrasound.

I still have mine. Not installed, but it was one component I inexplicably couldnít part with, along with a voodoo 2.

Iíve been pondering getting a dedicated sound card again. Mine sounds pretty good, but it *is* just an onboard mid-range Realtek chip. Iím still using the Klipsch promedia speakers, which can crank out unbelievably clean audio at uncomfortably high volume. I do wonder if Iím doing them a disservice with the onboard card.

News Comments > Dead or Alive 6 Delayed
6. Re: Dead or Alive 6 Delayed Jan 8, 2019, 13:33 HoSpanky

jdreyer wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 12:57:
xXStellarDadXx wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 10:53:
No BEWBS next month...damn

That's the delay: moar time to perfect bewb fysics.

Likely that theyíre still working to foil immediate nude patches for the game, despite this being a series that became famous for having absurd boob physics.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews Jan 8, 2019, 10:22 HoSpanky

Suuuuure, but if you focus on a characterís sexuality in a game, that is what defines that character. Thereís no way around it. You only have a small space of time in a game to ďdefineĒ a character, so if you yell ďthis character is gay/bi/whatever!Ē, THAT WILL BE THAT CHARACTERíS DEFINING TRAIT.

At least currently, you canít make a game about LGBTQ issues and somehow NOT make the characterís sexual orientation the part that defines the game entirely. Itís like when tv shows first started having gay characters in them, that was literally the only thing about that character. Now that they arenít just a punchline, gay characters in tv shows arenít just ďthe gay guy/girlĒ. Games clearly arenít quite there yet, but these types of games are necessary to pave the way, I think.

News Comments > Orcs Must Die! Unchained & Hero Academies Closing
9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2019, 09:13 HoSpanky

I enjoyed OMD2, playing co-op with the wife.

You all donít want to hear this, but thereís a game thatís fairly similar, with even more ability to build clever trap chains, and with an endless number of maps. A huge amount of progression, several big events each year with unique gameplay modes and rewards. Weapon and trap leveling and customization. A ridiculously silly story that plays out inside missions. Itís Fortnite Save the World. Yep.

News Comments > Anthem Video
11. Re: Anthem Video Jan 8, 2019, 09:04 HoSpanky

jdreyer wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 00:44:
This game would be worth the money if you could play in VR. The simple act of cruising around the environments would be very cool.

Ehhhh
Iíve found that the most immersive VR titles arenít the ones with large vistas...depth perception for humans only works for a couple hundred feet at most, and from there we use our close-range depth perception as a way to infer the longer distance. The best VR games are ones that have things close up. Thatís where you get a better sense of depth, and can interact with the unique controls as if they were your hands. The somewhat low resolution of current headsets is mostly a moot point at that close range as well. My favorite VR titles are the ones that make sure youíre always up close with what youíre doing. Budget Cuts, Virtual Virtual Reality, most of The Lab, and especially Vanishing Realms.

That is, of course, my opinion. Cockpit titles are very popular in VR, despite the cockpit being the ONLy thing that feels truly 3D. So clearly, people love the large-vista stuff.

News Comments > More on the Star Control Legal Battle
18. Re: More on the Star Control Legal Battle Jan 5, 2019, 11:57 HoSpanky

This is ridiculous. While Iím all about rooting for the underdog, I hope Paul and Fred lose this. If ďsimilar functionsĒ can be sued over, say goodbye to any new game being made ever again.

You can say Stardock shouldnít have made their game so similar, but if they made it TOO different, people would question why it even had the SC name on it. Itíd be MORE surprising if Stardock HADNíT copied various gameplay systems.

So, as much as I hate saying it, I hope Stardock destroys P&F.

News Comments > Metacritic's Best Video Games List
7. Re: Metacritic's Best Video Games List Jan 3, 2019, 16:40 HoSpanky

Iíve only played two games from this list, Dead Cells and Forza Horizon 4. Both are pretty damn spectacular, even if FH4 did add in pointless avatar clothing. It doesnít harm the experience, it just feels wholly unnecessary. Itís still the best goddamn racing game series ever made, although FH3 and its gonzo Hot Wheels expansion are still my favorite. As several reviews have said, itís worth the PITA of the Windows Store to play it.

Dead Cells is just fantastic. The art is clearly 3D rendered and then heavily pixelated, which only occasionally makes it feel like youíre missing out on detail due to it. The art style is so consistent that it quickly gets forgotten. The gameplay makes you feel like a badass IMMEDIATELY, and only continues to get better. Sure, youíll do some runs where you get a crap set of weapons and never see better replacements, but then other runs will bless you with a pair of ridiculous face-stomping ones. It forces you to learn how the various ones work, and you can re-roll their bonus attributes to get ones that make the weapons work for each other. The end boss is horridly difficult, however, and it takes an hour to get to him. All that time to get stomped flat in 10 seconds is terribly demoralizing. Best look up videos on what he does ahead of time; there is no mercy. Itís the only disappointment in a game destined to be called a true classic.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Jan 3, 2019, 14:53 HoSpanky

Pigeon wrote on Jan 3, 2019, 13:35:
One of the changes in tastes Yee points to is that aging gamers tend to gravitate toward more casual and less competitive games. ďPicking up a competitive shooter takes time to practice and a strong desire to compete, both of which older gamers have less of,Ē Yee says.

I would say this, and a lower tolerance for other people's BS during my downtime. It's certainly what killed Overwatch for me, not directly the competition.

I still fire up Overwatch here and there. The last time I played, I was repeatedly owned by a Roadhog, he was just godly with the hook drops. I fell to my death as much as I was shot, all because of him. I couldnít even be mad. But it did make me think itís not a game Iím able to be useful in.

But these days Iíd rather play a co-op PvE game with my dwindling number of friends who still have time to play. Itís why Iím interested in Anthem, and Destiny 2 was even a bit of short-lived fun. We play HOTS prolly once a week. One of the guys bought us all copies of State of Decay 2, which is fun, even if it feels like they cheaped out on some animations.

The only game Iíve played recently that really made me WANT to be better at it is a single player SHMUP called Sky Force Reloaded.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 3, 2019, 14:44 HoSpanky

Bard wrote on Jan 3, 2019, 14:24:
oh.. so you hide from consumers you are throttling the CPU performance due to battery age and sales are good because people are upgrading their slow ass phones...

then researchers find out what you've been doing and you have to admit this secret throttling... that only requires a battery replacement to fix...

.. and now you aren't selling as many iphones..

Precisely. The wife and I picked up new phones due to our iPhone 6ís running terribly. A month later, oh look, it was intentional. Now weíre not so sure we want to buy iPhones next time weíre looking for an upgrade. And since the current ones are ridiculously overpowered, thatíll only happen if these break. I hate the idea of losing all my stuff, but since we spent $1600 we DIDNíT NEED TO because Apple hid their ďpower savingĒ throttling...Iím not sure I want to reward them for that. Yes, itíll be years from now, thereís no gain to switching NOW. But that was a good chunk of change that Iíd rather have spent elsewhere. I donít forget shit like that, and Iím betting a lot of their current customers are thinking the same.

News Comments > DMCA Notice Freezes Star Control Origins in Carbonite
3. Re: DMCA Notice Freezes Star Control Origins in Carbonite Jan 1, 2019, 13:04 HoSpanky

Change the name of the game so it no longer says "Star Control" and re-release.  

News Comments > Epic Launching App Store
4. Re: Epic Launching App Store Dec 31, 2018, 13:20 HoSpanky

Is it coming out for i-devices? Because I thought Apple had an airtight lock on that. They produce the hardware and software, they can lock sales down to their store. Itís entirely their own ecosystem.

Android, due to their more open nature and several companies involved, canít stop it from happening. Amazon already has an android digital-services-store, but it hasnít shown up on Apple even after several years.

Also, yeah, Epicís store has only one advantage currently, and it only benefits developers. They need to move fast to put in some features users take for granted before users will really take it seriously. Currently, Iím absolutely going to be buying Satisfactory on Epicís store, but only because thatís the only place itíll be for at least a year.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
1. Re: Sunday Consolidation Dec 30, 2018, 14:51 HoSpanky

hahahaaaaa @ the soulja boy thing. It was pretty obvious that this was how it was gonna go down from the moment he announced these stupid things.  

News Comments > Denuvo Hates Your PC (Now Proven by Science)
5. Re: Denuvo Hates Your PC (Now Proven by Science) Dec 27, 2018, 11:47 HoSpanky

Well I guess Iím not terribly surprised.

Honestly, Iím more surprised at the ďwe removed DenuvoĒ part. Why go through that effort after the gameís highest sell period? Why not leave it in there? Is there a hidden, yet huge, part of the gaming population that buys games once the DRM is removed?

Or is it a time=money thing, where they remove it so as not to need to re-up a contract with denuvo?

News Comments > Boxing Day Legal Briefs
5. Re: Boxing Day Legal Briefs Dec 26, 2018, 15:07 HoSpanky

It may not be illegal, but it IS a dirty move. Games have had recognizable dance moves in them for a long time, but Fortnite is one of the first to sell you those dance moves individually.

This could get ugly for Epic, only in terms of bad press, but they could easily cut any chance of it being a problem by giving 10% of each sale to the person they copied the moves from. Itíd be a shitshow, unfortunately, as managers and record labels would try to claim they earned it somehow. Or, letís say Epic decided to copy a dance move because they found a video of a kid doing the dance...even if it was initially done by someone else. Who gets paid? Epic would have to basically say ďthis person right here is who we copied, and itís who weíll send a check to. No argumentsĒ. But that would get contested...if thereís money to be had, there will be shitheads who try to get it for nothing.

Itís a difficult thing to solve in a way that everyoneís happy. And currently, the only way ANYONE will get paid is if Epic decides to do it out of the goodness of their hearts. They have the law, or lack thereof, on their side.

News Comments > Christmas Legal Briefs
2. Re: Christmas Legal Briefs Dec 26, 2018, 12:23 HoSpanky

The entire article assumes you know what ďforced tech transferĒ means. I do not. Nowhere in the article did it star what that actually MEANS, so any concern over this is pointless. If I look up ďtech transferĒ, I get a wild array of different definitions.

Basically, the article is only useful to those who are already engaged in the issue. It blatantly keeps any newcomers out, which means itís a useless article.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Optimism
6. Re: Heroes of the Storm Optimism Dec 26, 2018, 11:09 HoSpanky

In the end, every company is destroyed by greed. Blizzard held out for a long time, but I expect to see their games continue to decline in quality while simultaneously ramping up microtransaction ďopportunitiesĒ.  

2001 Comments. 101 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo