Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1281 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Sep 29, 2016, 23:56 HoSpanky

I'd say it's worth about $25. It's gorgeous, and fun to play co-op thru the lackluster story. We spent about 40 hours in it before it suddenly was no longer interesting, and that was at full price. No ragrets.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 27, 2016, 11:11 HoSpanky

*Forza Horizon 3 is now available on Win10 and Xbox One.

Fired it up before work this morning. Gorgeous, but even with a g-sync/freesync monitor, don't run it unlocked. Known issue, it has very slight lurching, but when you're barreling around at 150+ mph, it throws off your timing. The game is smart enough to recognize that 30/60 aren't good frame rates for a 144hz monitor, and adjusts to 36/48/72 for options. 36 and 48 run liquidy smooth, zero lurching. Didn't have time to test 72. and before you knock that 36 fps...it's smoother than you think. The same voodoo they used on the Xbone/360 for the previous games is in full effect on PC, making 30 fps feel way better than it should. 48 IS noticeably better, though.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Sep 24, 2016, 16:56 HoSpanky

Not a bad looking mouse, far less gaudy than most. 2400 dpi is impressive, although a lot of these mice just use a multiplier to get "higher dpi", resulting in a cursor that cannot be moved pixel-by-pixel. Hopefully Biostar didn't do that, but...most mice at this price do that.

I tried to get away from Razer, but after trying several other brands, ended up back with them again, on a Mamba. SteelSeries, EVGA, a few ridiculous no-names. Nope. Couldn't get the basics of "actually works, reliably". Not a fan of having software logging in just to use my mouse, but honestly...fuck it, whatever. Everything phones home anymore.

News Comments > Titanfall 2 PC Specs
5. Re: Titanfall 2 PC Specs Sep 23, 2016, 14:47 HoSpanky

Creston wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 14:39:
45 GB install size. I guess they zipped up 10% of the audio files. Gotta save those CPU cycles!

Yeah, I wonder if they're using uncompressed audio again, or if the game is just quite a bit bigger this time around. That shit was ridiculous, no one who could run titanfall was on a machine weak enough that it couldn't handle compressed audio. They never went back and offered a compressed version, either, which makes it pretty obvious that they don't give a flying fuck about their PC customers.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 23, 2016, 12:11 HoSpanky

Huh, odd about the FH3 hitching at 60fps...although they focus their game engine on 30, so I guess it's not the biggest surprise. On the Xbone, the FH games don't feel like 30fps, due to how solidly it hold onto it, along with some just-right motion blur. While I'd prefer to run unlocked, if I'm stuck at 30, I already know it's not gonna feel like 30.  

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 21, 2016, 14:13 HoSpanky

Mm, good point, Beamer. Valve has already worked with a company to make the sensor packages able to read further from the base stations...and are a physically simpler device, making them cheaper. It's unknown if HTC will use the new sensors, but since they're THE official sensors that Valve uses in their training seminars, and sold to companies looking to make Lighthouse-tracking devices...they'd be silly not to.

As OLED prices come down, the dual screens will cost less, and the sensors+screens are the most expensive parts in the headsets. The rest is plastic and some wiring.

eBay sales will largely depend on if there's new lighthouses/cameras/controllers or not. If the second gen headsets can be purchased without the other accessories, people will likely just abandon the old headset or keep it as a backup. If I can upgrade to a headset with a much larger peripheral view area for $300 or less (without the other acccesories), I'll probably just put the old headset away instead of try to sell it.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 21, 2016, 13:56 HoSpanky

jdreyer wrote on Sep 21, 2016, 13:45:
Yeah, I was on board at $300, even $400 including the controllers, but not twice that.

*sigh*

Once the second gen versions of the headsets launch, there will be a bunch of the originals for sale on eBay. At that point, you'll likely hit the price point you're looking for.

I doubt there'll be a massive change with the second generation. Probably wider peripheral vision and maybe a wee higher res. The controllers and somewhat convoluted setup likely won't change a lot.

News Comments > Gears of War 4 NVIDIA Bundles
6. Re: Gears of War 4 NVIDIA Bundles Sep 20, 2016, 13:38 HoSpanky

Rhialto wrote on Sep 20, 2016, 12:10:
And we bet how much Microsoft sponsor this? So many people who don't want Win10, neither start using Windows Store.

Well of course that's what's happening, there's literally no guessing here.

News Comments > Gears of War 4 Launch Trailer
10. Re: Gears of War 4 Launch Trailer Sep 19, 2016, 16:26 HoSpanky

VaranDragon wrote on Sep 19, 2016, 16:12:
No Win7 support?

I honestly can't believe people are still asking this question.

The game looks to be more Gears-y fun. These guys made the weird Baird-focused game, tho, so imma wait for reviews before pulling the trigger.

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
1. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Sep 19, 2016, 14:01 HoSpanky

Having a great time with Legion. The auto-scaling while leveling keeps zones challenging, and each class/profession has a large amount of specific content. Hell, Fishing has an Artifact "weapon" (the ridiculous Underlight Angler) that you have to complete an achievement and quest chain for, and THEN level it up like your normal weapons.

Top-level content, SO FAR, is interesting and varied, and thankfully includes the fun "overpowered" bombing-run missions done during leveling. The final zone, Suramar, includes a massive city that may actually be larger than Stormwind, and your missions there are clearly Assassin's Creed in WoW, which is surprisingly fun. I haven't seen all the dungeons yet, and none of the raids.

The best change IMO is that anyone from the same faction can attack the same monster and get credit, whether or not they're in a group. It causes unplanned team-ups with random people, and in an MMO where last time around was very single-player, it's a great change.

The only downside is the auto-scaling makes your 100-109 gear never feel like it makes any difference. At 110, you can finally start to pull ahead of the enemies in terms of damage...for some classes, I relied on rolling slightly lower level zones due to low survivability when solo. Maybe I just suck at playing them? My shadow Priest has difficulty staying alive if more than one enemy attacks at a time; my feral Druid can handle 3 with no issue. Demon Hunters are crazy OP and can rampage with little fear of death. You CAN take a companion along from your Class Hall, I haven't done so yet. Maybe that's what I need for my priest.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 19, 2016, 13:39 HoSpanky

jdreyer wrote on Sep 19, 2016, 13:29:
Uber accused of cashing in on bomb explosion by charging almost double to take terrified New Yorkers home.

It's a terrible situation, but that's how the software works right? It's not like some nefarious exec went in there after the explosion and jacked the price because he thought there'd be some kind of opportunity.

Exactly. these people could have taken a yellow cab, but they didn't, even after seeing the higher pricing. Why? Likely there weren't enough cabs to go around.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
11. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 17, 2016, 10:22 HoSpanky

Per the Muni internet: so can the OTHER town "start their own muni broadband system" and just...ya know, use what's already there?  

News Comments > EVERSPACE Early Access
8. Re: EVERSPACE Early Access Sep 15, 2016, 13:52 HoSpanky

jdreyer wrote on Sep 15, 2016, 13:22:
HoSpanky wrote on Sep 15, 2016, 13:07:
this is likely going to be *THE* VR space sim game for me. Elite Dangerous is...overly complex, and Star Citizen seems to be trying to put even MORE shit between the player and the action.

Unfortunately, they aren't putting any UI into VR until the base game's UI is finalized, so that keep me from buying EA.

Looks similar (well, except for 3rd person) to Eve Valkyrie. Do you have it?

Valkyrie is a multiplayer combat arena game, Everspace is a single player sorta-rogue. I don't have Valkyrie yet, as it's still locked to the Oculus store, but when they release it for Vive, I'll likely pick it up. I agree they're both visually similar, super pretty and action-focused.

Also Everspace has a cockpit view, which is what it does for VR by default (don't know if third person is even an option for VR).

News Comments > EVERSPACE Early Access
4. Re: EVERSPACE Early Access Sep 15, 2016, 13:07 HoSpanky

this is likely going to be *THE* VR space sim game for me. Elite Dangerous is...overly complex, and Star Citizen seems to be trying to put even MORE shit between the player and the action.

Unfortunately, they aren't putting any UI into VR until the base game's UI is finalized, so that keep me from buying EA.

News Comments > Return Zero VR Released
5. Re: Return Zero VR Released Sep 13, 2016, 18:46 HoSpanky

bigspender wrote on Sep 13, 2016, 17:08:
VR has now effectively turned into the Wii. Just a sea of gimmicky mini games. Not a single solid game for traditional gamers.

You're right, and wrong here. There's a lot of chaff, yes, but there's also a massive pile of shovelware for normal PC gaming. This is nothing new.

Where you're wrong, though, is looking for "traditional" games. They simply don't work in VR. Right now devs are scrambling to figure out the new "standard" for VR gaming. A movement scheme that works for EVERYONE. General interface functionality, especially something like an inventory. And on top of everything, making sure no functions overlap their GPU/ CPU time so much that a frame skips. That last one trips up a LOT of devs, currently, especially on PC where people think it's OK to have an active virus scanner running while in VR, or ANYTHING ELSE running back there. They spend a lot of time chasing ghosts because users don't understand that NOTHING ELSE should be running.

The current VR interface seems pretty well suited for adventure/puzzle games, and Obduction is working to add motion controls. I don't understand why a Roomscale version of Grimrock, where you move on a grid ANYWAY, doesn't exits already. You could keep people in the same area of the square they're in, and just shift them around.

Anyway, shoehorning traditional gameplay into VR doesn't work, except in cockpit games. It demands something different.

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2016, 19:00.

News Comments > Return Zero VR Released
3. Re: Return Zero VR Released Sep 13, 2016, 16:05 HoSpanky

sir wrote on Sep 13, 2016, 14:44:
So, you have to spend $1500-plus to play a game that looks like a rejected scene from The Lawnmower Man...no thanks, think I'll wait for the next VR craze, hopefully not for another 10 years or so.

Agreed, this is a pathetic, proof-of-concept artwork game. Take a look at Redout, that also runs in VR and isn't a visual insult. VR, due to its nature, will not be as pretty as normal games, but it doesn't need to look like an Amiga tech demo.

News Comments > Halo 5 Forge for Windows 10
30. Re: Halo 5 Forge for Windows 10 Sep 9, 2016, 16:42 HoSpanky

Whether or not the store is a bad thing isn't really a concern when it comes to this particular piece of software; it's free. If you lose access to it in the future...uh, too bad? Paid purchases are the only thing you have any actual right to be cranky about, and CJ is technically correct, although filled with ulcer-inducing rage.

I plan on picking up Forza Horizon 3, but it also runs on the Xbone on the same purchase, so I'm not terribly worried about loss of access. I don't TEND to go back to older games, so loss of older titles isn't enough to bother me. There are plenty of newer games that work fine, and I have more interest in anyway. Not trying to invalidate CJ's anger over his sorta-loss of AOE3 access, just that *personally* it's not a concern.

I do think that games past a certain age should be made available for free, but that usually requires someone to code OUT their DRM, and no one's gonna do that for free. Or worse, they need some help to run on recent OS', which can be a monumental task, depending on how many now-dead tricks they used to get it working. For example, I'd love for Rocket Jockey to actually work, even if it's still butt ugly. It's hilarious fun in multiplayer and has mechanics no one has done since. But that'd require work, unpaid and probably largely unnoticed. It's more likely someone would make a spiritual successor than to resurrect the original.

News Comments > Halo 5 Forge for Windows 10
12. Re: Halo 5 Forge for Windows 10 Sep 8, 2016, 22:32 HoSpanky

Task wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 22:06:
"Now eventually you do plan to have a Halo 5 game on your, on your Halo 5 game tour, right?"

You sir, have my imaginary upvote.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided DLC This Month
12. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 2, 2016, 14:22 HoSpanky

The question isn't "was this in production before the game came out". Of course it was. The question is, when's the right time to release content for a single player game? Is it within a month of release, so people buying console copies hang onto their discs longer, lowering loss to resale? Or later, when people have moved on to other games and have less interest in "going back"?

The answer, obviously, is "the sooner the better". So that's why this is happening. Should it have been included in the original game? Old-school gamer logic says yes. Old-school gamer logic doesn't make MONEY, however, and I doubt you go to work and hand out YOUR time for less money than what you could be getting.

Edit: sorry, meant to Quote, not Reply, and now I can't get my phone to let me undo what I've done. Look back, you'll know who I'm replying to.

News Comments > Wireless HTC Vive Plans
13. Re: Wireless HTC Vive Plans Sep 1, 2016, 13:32 HoSpanky

To clarify:
This is an addon for the current Vive, not a whole new headset.

What I'm curious about is what happens when the battery dies, either unexpectedly or someone ignores any alert it may give. If you unplug the Vive currently, you have a reaaaally good chance that your computer hard locks, or behaves incredibly oddly. The battery unit should have a short-charge secondary battery in it that can keep the unit alive for 1-2 minutes, and recharges from the larger, interchangeable rechargeable batteries.

1281 Comments. 65 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo