Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1376 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Halo Wars 2 Blitz Beta
1. Re: Halo Wars 2 Blitz Beta Jan 22, 2017, 15:14 HoSpanky

Downloaded this last night, mostly just interested in how the game runs on PC. I enjoyed the original game on 360, although I never got into the adversarial multiplayer.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
17. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 22, 2017, 10:34 HoSpanky

El Pit wrote on Jan 22, 2017, 02:04:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 21, 2017, 20:55:
El Pit wrote on Jan 21, 2017, 11:55:
3D has come and gone multiple times, it will return in 20 years or so. But at least it had some success and was better this time than back in the early 80s and 50s. Let's see if VR can at least be half as successful as this iteration of 3D has been - I dare to say it won't. Right there is your real DOA.

VR is here to stay. It may not be wildly successful but it will be a niche product for the foreseeable future.

Such was 3D - a niche product for a forseeable future. 3D at least had Avatar to push it, VR has nothing up to now.

The difference here being that while people are amused, but not IMPRESSED with 3D, everyone is blown away by proper VR (not cellphone VR). The problem is that 3D came first and until they try it, people think VR is just "3D strapped to your face". It's incredibly hard to describe using VR, and that's where its largest hurdle is. 3dtv left such a bad taste in people's mouths that VR has a hell of an uphill battle.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 21, 2017, 15:16 HoSpanky

My tv came with passive 3D, I really don't use it, with one single exception.

A game called Super Stardust HD on the PS3 has a 3D option. Unlike most games, it's not just a gimmicky bonus. Play it ONCE in 3D and try to go back to 2D. The game is visual pandaemonium, but in 3D, you can much more easily discern what you should be concerned with. You can easily judge which asteroids/enemies dropping in are far enough up to sneak under, and which enemies/bullets/asteroids are on your plane instead of wrapped around behind the planet.

It's definitely a case of "it's incredibly useful for this ONE game". Im sure when I retire the tv, SSHD will be nothing but a pleasant memory to me, and I won't miss the passing of 3D tv. But if you HAVE a 3dtv and a PS3, pick up SSHD. It's unbelievably great.

News Comments > Halo Wars 2 Gold
1. Re: Halo Wars 2 Gold Jan 18, 2017, 11:49 HoSpanky

I'm a bit surprised a sequel happened. I picked up Halo Wars for like $7, got a copy for a friend. Had a GREAT time playing it co-op through the campaign.

If the second one gets decent reviews, I'll get it as well. So far I've had no trouble with the win10 versions of games (Forza Horizon 3 and Gears4), except for the weird way MS hides the games and even the data they consume. Had to give my Store games their own drive so I wasn't freaking out over "where did 200 gb go?". Looks like that drive may need to be bumped up in capacity, already packed a 250gb drive.

News Comments > Unforgiven VR Early Access Next Month
9. Re: Unforgiven VR Early Access Next Month Jan 17, 2017, 00:37 HoSpanky

Maybe someday I'll play superhot, when they make it for my VR headset. It looks neat, but Oculus buys exclusivity to everything that looks decent. I don't care that they get exclusives to their store, but they also only support one headset. It won't, CAN'T last like that, but for now, it sucks.

And no, I won't install ReVive to play Oculus games, unless they're free. They can support all VR hardware or go fuck themselves.

This Unforgiven game launches at $5. Gonna check initial impressions and maybe pick it up.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jan 15, 2017, 14:00 HoSpanky

Id like the option to wander the original continents, but I definitely don't long for the other aspects of the original game. Such as:

Mounts/pets you kept in your backpack.
The massive clusterfuck it was to get a full 40 people wrangled for a raid.
Traveling to a dungeon that takes less time to run through than to get to, and again, convincing 4 other people to go along.
Being trapped in a spec no one needed for a raid.
Buffs that had to be re-applied every 5 minutes, and auras that only affected your 5-man group in a raid.
Quests that routinely sent you from one end of a continent to the other, and then back, for a single, small reward.

Looking back, the original game excelled at eating time, but not at actually rewarding you for doing so. It had some truly unique moments that they haven't been able to recreate since, though. Like the opening of ahn'quiraj, which was by far the funniest, victory-to-horror, mass pandaemonium they've ever done. Or the first time you went into un'goro crater and realized, very suddenly, why people didn't like going there.

I like that now, even if you take an overpowered toon into a dungeon with a guildie, you'll still get artifact power you can use to help push your weapon even further. I actually like the non-flying time in expansions, as you get to discover all sorts of things they put in to delight those who poke around.

The current WoW isn't a bad game. It's actually very refined. Individual classes aren't as specialized as they were, which FEELS unfortunate until you realize it's partially why getting a dungeon or raid put together is so much easier. You spend your time raiding, not looking for a feral Druid for that sweet sweet crit aura, or a hunter who knows what Tranq Shot is for.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
2. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 15, 2017, 13:23 HoSpanky

jdreyer wrote on Jan 15, 2017, 13:13:
Just 15?

That's like, 5x as many games as were released on MacOS all year!

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Live Fire Plans
5. Re: Titanfall 2 Live Fire Plans Jan 15, 2017, 13:20 HoSpanky

Rhett wrote on Jan 15, 2017, 13:07:
The MP is excellent too, but everyone wants a Frontier Defense/PVE mode!

I haven't played the multiplayer, actually. I'm (I think) most of the way through the single player campaign, and it's been a riot. I really ought to try the multi, but I honestly bought it on the reviews of the campaign.

I would love a co-op mode like the first game had.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 13, 2017, 11:13 HoSpanky

Bundy wrote on Jan 13, 2017, 09:26:
Anyone who gets even slight VR nausea. Dirt Rally might not be the best game for you. I did 3 races and had to give myself a long sit down. Basically ended my VR evening.

Good to know. I had issues with Project Cars, but that was mostly because the first thing they have you do is THE WORST possible type of racing in VR: go karts. A lot of very rapid accel/braking, and no constant visual anchor (can't see the kart).

Not really a possibility for me with Dirt Rally, since they have flat out said there won't be a Vive version. Not buying a game I need to use third party software to get running.

News Comments > DiRT Showdown for Free
5. Re: DiRT Showdown for Free Jan 12, 2017, 23:41 HoSpanky

Play this with friends, and you'll have a decent time. It's no Gas Guzzlers (again, only good in multiplayer), but it's certainly not AWFUL.  

News Comments > LEGO CITY Undercover Trailer
8. Re: LEGO CITY Undercover Trailer Jan 12, 2017, 18:40 HoSpanky

I'm reading the WiiU version of the game is great except for ridiculously long load times. Hello, SSD, lets make that happen in a couple seconds, yeah?  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 11, 2017, 23:35 HoSpanky

While I'm not a big fan of Oculus' tactics with their store, it's pretty painfully obvious that Zenimax had no interest in VR until "two billion dollars" showed up on a news feed. They're likely mad they lost Carmack, but seriously, they didn't lose any proprietary code.
The only leg they have to stand on is if they have a contract stating anything Carmack did, at ANY point in time (in office or at home or wherever) is their property. He was working for both companies for about a year, and they could technically claim everything he did during that is theirs. There ARE bullshit contracts like that.

News Comments > No Mass Effect: Andromeda Season Pass
9. Re: No Mass Effect: Andromeda Season Pass Jan 8, 2017, 14:11 HoSpanky

Sadly, the one "NO pay DLC!" Game this year was intentionally killed by EA. Titanfall 2 was pushed out in a bad spot between BF1 and COD. It's a shame, Titanfall 2 is pretty spectacular. The single player is short, but crazy awesome. Most of the missions are on the level of Valve games, no exaggeration. The multiplayer is just as goofy fun as the original.

I'd bet anything EA will claim that was their test of if people wanted games with no pay DLC, and since it sold poorly, clearly the masses have spoken.

But, maybe I'm wrong.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2017, 11:23 HoSpanky

jdreyer wrote on Jan 7, 2017, 02:44:
Wasn't RL available free on PS Store for a while? Does that count as a "sale?"

It would, except it was free for a month in 2015, when it first came out, not anytime in 2016.

RL deserves to be the success it is, I've never played a game that gets me focused like it. I'm awful at it, but it's such a rush when you go for a shot and it does exactly what you were planning. Also their DLC is completely optional, and low price. The game is "how to do it right" in pretty much every aspect.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: #2017 Jan 3, 2017, 16:08 HoSpanky

I wonder how many of those "friends" knew where she lived, calling for emergency services with no idea where you're sending them is useless.  

News Comments > Steam Top 100 of 2016
28. Re: Steam Top 100 of 2016 Jan 2, 2017, 00:04 HoSpanky

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 1, 2017, 22:10:
Not on Steam but BF1 was on sale for 40% off. I already got my cherry popped with one of the many prevalent bugs when I got a DX error message saying something about my graphics card being removed from my system or some weird shit.

Features at this point it seems.

My Origin purchase was TitanFall 2, as I'd read it has an incredible, if a bit short, single player campaign. Abaolutely fantastic so far. Not sure how far along I am yet, for all I know I'm one level from the end, but it's been a wild ride. Definitely going to replay it on a harder difficulty, hoping for some more tense firefights. On Normal, I die to falling more than gunfire.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Dec 30, 2016, 15:42 HoSpanky

While I'm glad for the Onward developer, I'm disappointed that Valve chose to single out one developer. Maybe these offers have been going out, and devs are just being quiet about it. It'd be nice if they offered their assistance to Indimo, who makes Vanishing Realms. Or the team (presumably still) making Budget Cuts.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
8. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 30, 2016, 11:42 HoSpanky

The driver who hit them likely doesn't have much money, so they're going after who does.

Had Apple actually made FaceTime shut off while the phone was moving, then people riding on a bus or train, or a passenger in a car, couldn't use the software either. All that would accomplish is driving people to use another, near identical piece of software that doesn't care how fast you're moving. There is no solution to idiocy, which is the real cause of the accident.

News Comments > Orc Hunter VR Early Access
4. Re: Orc Hunter VR Early Access Dec 28, 2016, 18:36 HoSpanky

Super unimpressed with the demo, it's yet another "hey we got one single system working in VR, please believe it's a game and buy it!". Very VERY few titles on Steam currently are "full games", which is a surefire way to kill even the most amazing hardware. "Give it time!", everyone says...ok I gave them a year, where the fucking fuck are the actual goddamn games?

Yet, Vanishing Realms is the only VR game worth a damn, and the only game of its kind. Literally everyone else went for arena shooters or standing simulators, VanR said fuck that, go on an adventure. It's not terribly long, but it rewards you for poking around. It has decent, if not terribly varied, combat, and an actual fucking dungeon to explore and loot. It's not pretty, looking like something like a GameCube Zelda title, but it doesn't fucking matter. You'll buy into it more than any other VR game. It's just a shame it isn't longer.

News Comments > AU Fines Valve $3M
30. Re: AU Fines Valve $3M Dec 23, 2016, 16:41 HoSpanky

Kxmode wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 15:34:

A court found in May that Steam's website breached Australian Consumer Law because it stated consumers were not entitled to a refund and had no access to minimum quality guarantees.

I'm not defending Valve but they do actually have a refund policy. It's just really crappy and needs to be revamped. There should be situations, like in the case of NMS, where a refund is appropriate regardless of playtime.

They DID, in the case of NMS, offer a longer refund time. It wasn't immediate, but it did happen. As for the refund policy itself, I think it's fairly generous. People on this board seem to think that people AREN'T complete shitbags, but guess what...most people ARE. If they can play through an entire game and then return it, even if they enjoyed it, THEY WILL. That two hour refund policy has absolutely murdered some short indie games. Even if the game was only a dollar, people would refund them.

The refund policy in AUS absolutely wasn't written regarding software, and being what it is, there needs to be a provision in place for it. I do believe there should be the ability to get a refund if a game doesn't work right, but in the case of NMS...that was a simple case of Buyer Beware. Stop pre-ordering games and that shit won't affect you.

1376 Comments. 69 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo