Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1518 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered Standalone Coming
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 24, 2017, 00:27 HoSpanky

LiTh wrote on Jun 24, 2017, 00:09:
Not a CoD fan but CoD4:MW by the (original) Infinity Ward is what really propelled the series. Its engine would go on to be used (and abused) by the inept treyarch to death. After the original IW dev's left (screwed by Activision) the series went down hill. I'm not a huge FPS fan, but for me this is the best there is for FPS hands down. The single player campaign was still the most memorable of all (fps) time. I'm not a hater, so i'm going to check this out, as for any other CoD, doesnt meet the standard of the past devs.

Take Titanfall 2 for a spin. The single player campaign is done by the people who made MW, and it's pretty damn spectacular.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Forza Motorsport 7 PC Plans
9. Re: Forza Motorsport 7 PC Plans Jun 23, 2017, 21:10 HoSpanky

D4rkKnight wrote on Jun 23, 2017, 17:14:
The only reasonable solution is to buy a cheap SSD solely for Win10 gaming. I wonder if you can buy/play their games from the marketplace without registering the OS.

Why is this the only "reasonable" solution? Seems like a pain in the ass.

When you buy a game on the win10 store it links it to your Xbox/Windows account. So you probably can't do it without registering a copy. Why wouldn't you? It's still free, with only a small hurdle.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 23, 2017, 13:24 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Jun 23, 2017, 13:07:
Yeah, and the noise from thousands of drones flying everywhere will drive people nuts. Then there's the liability aspect of killing people,
pets, wildlife along with property damage. And ultimately just more robots contributing to massive unemployment. Who's going to have money to buy anything? There's nothing but downside to this, even for Amazon.

I agree with that, mostly. I think Amazon has an unrealistic view of what most of the world's housing looks like. How will they deliver to apartments? How about in the rain? When one drops out of the sky, into traffic, it'll become national news.

It's an amusing idea, sure. And if I got the chance for a delivery-by-drone, I'd happily go along with it for the novelty. But this is a case of looking for a solution to something that honestly is currently better done by humans. Packages are already being stolen off of porches, these will be shot down for their cargo.

News Comments > Forza Motorsport 7 PC Plans
5. Re: Forza Motorsport 7 PC Plans Jun 23, 2017, 12:43 HoSpanky

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 23, 2017, 11:51:
PC =! W10 ;/

In Microsoft's eyes, Win10 is all that matters.

I have Forza horizon 3. Yep, it's UWP. The only issue I have with it is on the rare occasion it crashes, there's no log file to see what it was upset about. Aside from that, it's fine. It's a resource hog, but that's likely more on it being set to Ultra and being open world than it being UWP.

I'm not going to say I love UWP. It just isn't a dealbreaker for me. Am I going to buy anything OTHER than Xbox crossover games on it? Pfft, no. But getting games I used to need an xbone for, PLUS having them run/look better? Yeah I'm ok with that.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 21, 2017, 16:26 HoSpanky

Thats $5000 a month right NOW. As the computations get more complex, it'll generate less and less per month, at the same cost in electricity. Not to mention that's entirely dependent upon the currency keeping its market value.

I suppose the same rig would easily translate over to farming a different cryptocurrency, so there's that. Set up a farm in Arizona run primarily from solar power and there'd be little upkeep cost. But that'd require you to be in Arizona.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 21, 2017, 13:20 HoSpanky

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 21, 2017, 11:00:
LA Noire remaster skipping the computer, pc gamers everywhere rejoice.

It's likely that the remaster is basically the graphical increase the PC had over the console versions when it came out.

The spider man article is disappointing, but expected. Open world games are an astounding juggling act, any one component will hold the entirety back, much more so than level-based games.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2017, Part 12
1. Re: It Came from E3, Part 12 Jun 19, 2017, 10:18 HoSpanky

Huh. I figured wreckfest was dead. They update it infrequently, and it's always something underwhelming like "we touched up one of the tracks!", then no updates for another two months. There's still very very little to the game - what you see in the video looks like they keep showing footage back and forthr between two tracks, and that's pretty much the long and short of it.

Sadly, the tech demo "world" was WAY more fun, so they're making a separate game that plays like it. I'd love to say I was interested, but at this point I'd rather just have the game I backed finished first.

News Comments > Warcraft III and Diablo II Remaster Plans?
11. Re: Warcraft III and Diablo II Remaster Plans? Jun 16, 2017, 14:56 HoSpanky

Frijoles wrote on Jun 16, 2017, 14:36:
Would love to play an updated WC3. Would prefer to play a new WC4. Something set well after WoW's current timeline.

Except Bizzard has no idea what's going to BE the end timeline for WoW. They'll keep making expansions as long as enough people are playing it.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2017, Part 8
1. Re: It Came from E3 2017, Part 8 Jun 16, 2017, 10:29 HoSpanky

The Devolver Digital thing (paved Indie paradise) is clearly a case of the ESA leaning on city officials. Who would rent a parking lot for $100,000 for a couple days if they were only allowed to park cars on it? There's literally NO reason someone would do that.

The ESA claims their truck-blockade was "always a coincidence" too. I get that they want DD to pay them to be part of e3. But as soon as you're off the property the ESA rented, anyone else is allowed to set up their own event of any sort on other property.

So now what DD needs to do is demand no one else ever holds any events in that parking lot ever again, and see what the lot owner thinks of that.

News Comments > Conan Exiles Free Expansion in August
2. Re: Conan Exiles Free Expansion in August Jun 14, 2017, 11:47 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 11:02:
How is this coming along? I still see a lot of recent mixed reviews.

I'd be interested to hear what people think of it more recently as well. It could be fun, being the first Feral Nudist Colony Simulator available.

Also, against all odds, ARK has announced they'll be coming out of EA in a few months. No mention of making the game actually run well at anything over 1080p though.

News Comments > BAFL - Brakes Are For Losers Trailer
1. Re: BAFL - Brakes Are For Losers Trailer Jun 14, 2017, 11:42 HoSpanky

Disappointed that this also is retro graphically (and only local multiplayer). Blaze Rush is several years old now and it looks gorgeous and has online multi, what's the point of this?  

News Comments > Destiny 2 in October
6. Re: Destiny 2 in October Jun 13, 2017, 13:09 HoSpanky

Flatline wrote on Jun 13, 2017, 12:28:
Yeah. Money is the reason. You're more likely to get the game on a platform that your friends are on, and there's more money to be made, and a larger market, on consoles.

Sorry, Alamar's got the real answer here. Consoles are easier to code for, versus people and their Frankenstein computers. QC is just simpler for consoles.

Or would you rather it came out the same day as console and...just didn't work on AMD cards, or something like that?

News Comments > Destiny 2 in October
3. Re: Destiny 2 in October Jun 13, 2017, 12:27 HoSpanky

I'm surprised it's only a bit of a delay. I expected a 6 month wait. I have my WoW tokens converted and I'm just waiting it out now.  

News Comments > DOOM VFR Announced
23. Re: On Overwatch Mei Skins Jun 12, 2017, 20:37 HoSpanky

Squirmer wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 19:29:
What's the point of a Doom game if you don't have free movement? Fast movement is integral to Doom. This is faddish spectacle, nothing more.

VR is a completely different animal from using a monitor. Games that work on a monitor won't necessarily translate to VR, and there are VR games that absolutely can't work on a monitor. This is assuming that "VR Games" use the motion controllers.

Right now, no one's really found that "magic formula" for long-form VR games. Bethesda is filling in that gap with a pair of probably flawed, but interesting games based on big brands. DOOM is NOT going to be the same game, and FO4 will play so differently that it technically IS a different game, with completrly recycled assets.

When proper movement is sorted out, which will most likely require yet another gizmo, we'll be nicely on the way to VR becoming mainstream. In the meantime, developers will continue to figure out what "feels best". We're still in the early early stages of VR.

14. Re: DOOM VFR Announced Jun 12, 2017, 14:56 HoSpanky

MajorD wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 11:06:
Fallout VR.....not really liking the first person presence, especially with weapons (especially hand guns) floating in mid air....look too wonky to me. I'll stick to my 28" monitor thank you very much.

Floating guns look weird when you're not in VR. When they move with your hands, your brain immediately accepts it. Also, Raw Data does the "hands and arms" thing and it screws up enough that it's far more distracting than just having the guns floating.

Seriously, BEFORE saying something looks wrong or cheap in VR, how about you actually try it first? You need to give it a good hour's worth of goofing around in it, and THEN ask what few questions you have left. To those of us with VR gear, the CONSTANT asking of questions that are instantly answered by USING VR feels like having to describe every component of a casserole to a picky 5 year old. Just fucking try it, shut your mouth and TRY IT.

12. No subject Jun 12, 2017, 14:21 HoSpanky

Task wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 13:40:
That's exactly what I thought MonsterMan. Why didn't they just add VR to the original game with full keyboard mouse controller movement.

Clearly you've not played anything in VR yet. People constantly ask this question, because they don't understand that moving the mouse to change your view is sickening, immediately. It makes sense on a monitor, where you have a visual "grounding"; everything in your room that isn't the monitor. You can look away from a monitor-based game. You literally don't have that grounding in VR, and until you've tried it, you don't understand just how much you rely on it. Also, you look around your screen all the time, but aren't conscious of it. In VR, your head movements can't be tied to your weapon, it sucks. There are games (Gunjack) that rather clearly prove that it feels super wrong.

And once you're at THAT point, you realize you can't ever look down at the keyboard if needed. So you need a controller that you don't let go of. You wouldn't want to play using an Xbox controller, so now we're onto the motion controllers. DOOM moves way, WAY too fast to use traditional movement, so this teleporting/dash is the best you're gonna get for now.

News Comments > DiRT 4 Released
15. Re: DiRT 4 Released Jun 11, 2017, 08:50 HoSpanky

jdreyer wrote on Jun 11, 2017, 01:03:
HoSpanky wrote on Jun 10, 2017, 10:03:

You should maybe take a peek at Forza Horizon 3. There's a demo available. Xbone or PC. It's not EXACTLY what you're looking for, but it's pretty damn great. The Hot Wheels expansion for it is the pinnacle of ridiculousness, and well worth the cost.

Is that a Windows Store exclusive??

Yeah, it's a Microsoft title, and cross-play compatible with the Xbone, so it's gonna be windows store exclusive. Haven't had any major issues with it, and the performance problems it had on launch were finally fixed.

News Comments > VR Theme Park Rides
4. Re: VR Theme Park Rides Jun 10, 2017, 13:27 HoSpanky

It's a $4 title, guys, not $40. While I have no interest in it, as it's NOT what I built a VR rig for, there ARE people who want this sort of thing and if it works even half-competently, it's worth the absurdly low asking price.  

News Comments > DiRT 4 Released
10. Re: DiRT 4 Released Jun 10, 2017, 10:03 HoSpanky

Numinar wrote on Jun 10, 2017, 07:29:
Anytime I see a game like this come up I just add Motorstorm 2 to my "Play Next" list.

It's a pain in the ass to cycle the PS3 back into the back of the TV but worth it every. fucking. time.

A PC/PS4 re-release wouldn't go amiss. I don't believe there will ever be anything else like it to replace it. Even it's own sequel didn't do it properly. Like Stunt Car racer I have given up on anyone ever being able to re-bottle that magic and I hate Driveclub all the more for putting a nail in the coffin of a company that should have been launching the best PS4 exclusive in universeses far more perfect than ours.

You should maybe take a peek at Forza Horizon 3. There's a demo available. Xbone or PC. It's not EXACTLY what you're looking for, but it's pretty damn great. The Hot Wheels expansion for it is the pinnacle of ridiculousness, and well worth the cost.

News Comments > Gears of War 4 Free Trial
1. Re: Gears of War 4 Free Trial Jun 9, 2017, 21:21 HoSpanky

Just be sure to free up 116gb of space first.  

1518 Comments. 76 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo