Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 2232 (Senior)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10

5. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 1, 2019, 15:30 HoSpanky

Quinn wrote on Dec 1, 2019, 14:49:
phinn wrote on Dec 1, 2019, 13:52:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 1, 2019, 13:35:
Steam controller is OoS.

Discontinued and suddenly people want it.

Yeah well a heads-up would've been nice. I was always on the fence about the thing, and I would've bought it if I knew it'd be discontinued. Now it's OoS though, just like that. Valve really does give fuck all about their customers.

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/205984/rip-steam-controller

And every major gaming news publication had something about it, but clearly someone needed to hold you by the hand and maintain eye contact while they told you so youíd pay attention.

Honestly, though, itís not a great controller. Uncomfortable to hold, awkward to use.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed

5. Re: Op Ed Nov 29, 2019, 17:42 HoSpanky

Gamers: ďI donít want to buy VR because there arenít any big games for it!Ē

Valve: ďOK then is Half Life big enough to get you to notice?Ē

Gamers: ďWaaaah I have to buy this hardware to play the game?Ē

Look, VR needed a big game that got peopleís attention. It had to check a very specific set of boxes, and Valve is the only company who could afford to do it. The game needed a big franchise, a company with a deep understanding of VRís strengths, and the ability to make a top-notch game and knowingly lose money on it.

Valve knows Alyx ďwould make more moneyĒ if it wasnít VR-only. Idiots keep acting like Gabe & Co care ONE BIT about how much money the game makes. They donít! It needs to get people to pay attention, and it succeeded.

How many of you paid attention when Lone Echo came out? Or Stormlands, or Asgardís Wrath? If you donít have a VR headset, you likely donít even know those games exist. Theyíre all top notch, AAA-quality games for VR. Theyíre new franchises, and due to that no one without a headset even heard about them, because gaming sites donít run articles they think wonít get a lot of views. Itís a shitty cycle, where assumptions from both reader and writer sides cause VR to lose visibility. So it had to be a game everyone would go batshit over, or else itíd disappear into obscurity before it even came out.

VR will never replace monitor play, it will have games built more for its strengths. Itís not BETTER than monitor games, itís just better at certain things. Itís why Alyx canít be made for both VR and monitor gaming...itíd have to be two completely different games. Everything from the artwork, controls, all interaction systems, AI, level layouts...everything but the audio would need to be rebuilt or monitor players would say ďuggh this sucksĒ. People WILL mod it for monitors, and itíll be a halfass job, and monitor players will complain that the game sucks, because the AI wonít react fast enough to be a challenge, or the puzzles are lame (due to the modest having to likely bypass them entirely), or the graphics are weak (due to being designed to render the scenes 180 times a second on mortal hardware).

So yes, for those of you who refuse to buy a VR headset, a game series you may love dearly will have a release you canít play. If VR is to survive, it will need more...Valve has two more VR games in the works currently. At least one will probably be a pre-established franchise that you also want.

VR will always be niche, but that doesnít mean it has to die out. If that were true, Harley Davidson wouldnít exist...motorcycles are niche vehicles with no real purpose, but theyíre a whole lot of fun. Like VR, a lot of people canít afford to own one. It doesnít make the device suddenly worthless, but SO many of you guys look for every damn excuse as to why VR is awful, while also staunchly refusing to give it an honest try.

Sorry for the novel I just wrote, but every thread about VR on Blueís is met with hatred and outright lies.

News Comments > Google Starts New Stadia Studio with Assassin's Creed Veterans

4. Re: Google Starts New Stadia Studio with Assassin's Creed Veterans Nov 29, 2019, 17:14 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Nov 29, 2019, 16:11:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 29, 2019, 15:56:
I suppose Blue can write his story about how Google is shuttering it's Montreal game development studio and file it away for future posting.

Zackly. Stadia will be done by the time they get a game out the door.

Holy shit is all of Blueís going to be in agreement on something? THE END IS NIGH!

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption 2 Gallops onto Steam Next Week

22. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Gallops onto Steam Next Week Nov 27, 2019, 20:58 HoSpanky

El Pit wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 16:19:
At least there is no multiple hundred $$$ paywall in front of it.. I am looking at you, Alyx and Valve!

EDIT: Also it is nice to see it leave early access!

Alyx doesnít have a paywall for the people itís being sold to. Itís like going to a tire dealer and saying ďthese tires are going to cost me $19,000 because I donít have a car yet!Ē.

As for RDR2, Iíll pick that up at some point, prolly in a year or so.

News Comments > Facebook Buys Beat Games

4. Re: Facebook Buys Beat Games Nov 26, 2019, 23:58 HoSpanky

Well, Beat Saber is fun but I wonít be playing any of their next games I guess. Facebook wonít put out any games on Steam, nor will they directly support any headsets other than their own. Thatís their prerogative, and thatís fine, they just wonít get my money.

News Comments > Sunday Previews

2. Re: Sunday Previews Nov 24, 2019, 17:12 HoSpanky

It gives you arms, but they don't always sit right. watching the dev videos, the elbows are sometimes where the user's are...sometimes not. The "not" part is weird, and likely why they aren't in Alyx or most other games.
People who have never used VR are way more concerned about invisible arms than those who've used it.

News Comments > Steam Top 10

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 24, 2019, 17:09 HoSpanky

I wil admit that getting Alyx free with any Index hardware IS probably going to push me over the edge on buying the controllers. I have a Vive, but it's part of the early batches and the controllers have issues with the thumbpads. I don't think I want the Index headset, though. A buddy has it, it's niceR, but not worth the upgrade cost, especially since the higher resolution on it will cause my 1080 to struggle more often.  

News Comments > Half-Life: Alyx in March

57. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 21, 2019, 23:00 HoSpanky

This was the only way it could happen. VR needs a top-notch game that gets peopleís attention, and since VR canít compete on flashy graphics, it has to be a *name* everyone loves. It also has to be made by a company that KNOWS it wonít ever turn a profit, which means they canít have shareholders. It would also need a company thatís already worked on VR interactions before, as itís so alien that developers are STILL trying to figure out how to use it.

Valve is the only company in that position, and they did it. They 100% knew it would piss off a ton of people, but VR canít survive without REAL games for it.

You can be cranky old men about it, or give it an honest try instead of pretending you already know what itís like. Precisely zero people have tried my VR setup and walked away disappointed. Did they buy a set themselves? Generally, no. But they have a positive impression of it, which was all I was looking for. VR isnít cheap, but it IS an experience unlike anything else. Valve knows it. Everyone whoís given it a chance knows it.

News Comments > Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday

10. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 18, 2019, 22:49 HoSpanky

No, Xero, it wonít do both.  

News Comments > Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday

7. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 18, 2019, 22:25 HoSpanky

Ahhh yes, I knew some of you would cry about this. Can not WAIT for the Steam forums to light up with crybabies. VR needs games people want to gain traction. No one buys a platform if thereís no draw.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse

2. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 15, 2019, 07:40 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Nov 14, 2019, 21:45:
Well if the fucking governments out there would reign in these megacorps we could have the internet as it was supposed to be.

How can they, when every politician is owned by the same corporations?

News Comments > Op Ed

2. Re: Op Ed Nov 11, 2019, 12:51 HoSpanky

Is your career attached to a specific game? Behave and ride it out as long as you can. The game will fade from popularity and you'll have to move along at some point anyway. This didn't "ruin his life". It simply means he'll need to find another game to entertain his followers with sooner than he expected.

Companies fire employees the first time they're caught doing something considered "very wrong". Cheating in a game is pretty much the worst offense you can make, in game dev/publishers' eyes. This is pretty much "I broke into the boss' office and pissed on his desk, and posted a video of it because I thought it'd get me views". Well, it probably did, but you should also have expected that you'd get fired for doing it.

Blevins clearly doesn't live in reality, and hasn't grasped the concept that streamers, despite being called "content creators", don't actually create anything. The developers do, and you're showcasing their game for them. That's it. That's the entirety of your function, and if you think otherwise, cross that company and find out the hard way.

News Comments > Get Nuclear Throne and RUINER for Free

14. Re: Get Nuclear Throne and RUINER for Free Nov 9, 2019, 12:25 HoSpanky

Ruiner now seems to checkpoint partway through those huge fights. The upside is that you can actually make it through. The downside is that there won't be as many weapons lying around at the end to feed the scrapper. So, you'll get less XP and usually won't get a legendary-colored weapon. I haven't gotten completely stuck yet, although there have been a couple of BS fights for sure. The need to aim your shield is ridiculous; enemies teleport around constantly. I gave up on the shield and focused on being able to slow time a LOT, which has helped me succeed through the harder fights.  

News Comments > Pro Fortnite Player Banned

24. Re: Pro Fortnite Player Banned Nov 4, 2019, 16:51 HoSpanky

He somehow didnít notice that Epic is currently in a lawsuit against a kid for cheating? I thought these kids were supposedly more aware of the gaming world than adults...clearly not.

I donít feel bad for him. He cheated other players out of a fair game, and thatís what drives players to other games. Epic has to stem that flow, and this wasnít even some chump with a disposable account. I donít know how much ad revenue 2 million viewers gets you, but he was probably making a surprisingly good amount of money. Heís now thrown away. He had a posh job and was too stupid to hold onto it.

News Comments > New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers

3. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Nov 4, 2019, 16:39 HoSpanky

Iíve got a Freesync Ultrawide IPS screen from LG, and it works as smoothly as the G-sync monitor it replaced.

The ghosting is always going to be there a little on IPS screens, itís the trade off for the vibrant colors and super wide view angles. Itís rarely something I notice unless a game has wildly contrasting lighting and color, and even then itís minimal.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Plans

1. Re: Heroes of the Storm Plans Nov 3, 2019, 11:43 HoSpanky

I still enjoy this game. It has a lot of maps, looks fantastic, and the two made-for-HOTS characters are a lot of fun. Every time they transplant a new character, it's impressive how their ability set feels correct, even though a lot of them come from completely different game types.

I'm not a fan of Bliz's stance on China, and I've not spent any real money toward them since. If they're serious about players not using the game as a podium, then they'll be banning every pro-Trump or pro-Bernie mention as well. Time will tell.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance

1. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Nov 2, 2019, 19:36 HoSpanky

Canít Amazon track down what account those amazon gift cards were used on? Thatís a 95% chance of being the thief to begin with.  

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials

6. Re: Ubisoft Financials Oct 31, 2019, 19:10 HoSpanky

Well, they DID get the recent two Assassinís Creed games right. I like Origins more than Odyssey, overall, but Odyssey was WAY bigger, and the second DLC pack was fan-fucking-tastic.  

News Comments > EA Plans Outlined

10. Re: EA Plans Outlined Oct 30, 2019, 20:17 HoSpanky

Just please, PLEASE let the Criterion project be Burnout Paradise 2.  

News Comments > Flurry of Blizzard Departures

6. Re: Flurry of Blizzard Departures Oct 29, 2019, 13:06 HoSpanky

Primalchrome wrote on Oct 29, 2019, 11:34:
Darks wrote on Oct 29, 2019, 10:57:
Blizz was a great company up until they sold out to Activision,
I think they went from being an artistic gaming company to a purely corporate enterprise when they merged with Vivendi a few years before. Almost every single title and expansion they have developed from that point forward felt like a bland cash grab aimed at the lowest common denominator. Nix that....I had my dates wrong. It was 2008 when they merged with Activision. They already had SCII and BC pretty fleshed out....but from that point forward... ugh.

I'd agree with that, aside from the WoW Legion expansion. Holy shit, it was so good, it felt like Blizzard maybe was coming back. Also, HOTS is pretty fun, but clearly their surprisingly generous F2P setup doesn't generate the money their Activision overlords want.

2232 Comments. 112 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >