Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1253 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 24, 2016, 13:52 HoSpanky

Quboid wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 12:53:
Cutter wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 12:26:
Uh 4th Amendment anyone? I never understand how these agencies can just do stuff like this and not get smacked down immediately for it.

They just cry terrorism and impressionable people will happy give up their freedom and principles. I take it you've seen the sort of person - particularly in this US election - who wants to deny people their freedom of religion (or even deny people of other religions their lives) all in the name of freedom and "live and let live [by my rules]". The "You're not allowed to believe that because forcing your values on me is a serious problem" crowd. Awful hypocrites.

Eh, religious zealots of any sort are dangerous animals that cannot be reasoned with. And right now we have a very specific religion that's being used an excuse to murder people, so ANYONE following that religion is looked upon with suspicion.
I just don't get why people would look at what's happening and say "ehh, I still want to believe in this religion that is THE reason my native country has gone to shit, and why we're abysmally behind the rest of the world technologically, and is the root of WHY I RAN TO THE U.S. IN THE FIRST PLACE". If you refuse to question the validity of your religion, no matter what, you are a zealot.

That said, they're going to catch zero terrorists with this move. "Oh sure lemme give you my Twitter handle where I post daily about being excited to kill Americans!". They'll have a fake account or just say they don't have a Twitter account. Simple as that, how did this idea get past the "Hey, why don't we do this?" stage?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Patched
5. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Patched Aug 24, 2016, 10:24 HoSpanky

VaranDragon wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 10:14:
Game is getting hammered on Steam. Mostly not due to the gameplay itself, but the business practices of the publisher. Charging for DLC that will most probably complete the game (the game ends abruptly), a store with microstransactions, horrible performance issues, bugged mouse acceleration etc. that sort of thing.

Damn, hadn't heard about any of that. The "rest of the story" DLC thing is worrisome. If the game sells well anyway, it'll just be the first game to pull that shit, and a ton will follow. Very few publishers are interested in putting out truly worthwhile DLC, especially single-player DLC. There's the obvious "but the Witcher 3 has that!", but W3 is the exception to the rules pretty much across the board.

News Comments > Worms W.M.D Launch
2. Re: Worms W.M.D Launch Aug 23, 2016, 21:39 HoSpanky

Glad to hear it, dub. Been needing those extra two player slots that have been missing for years. Still fire up Armageddon because of the 6-player functionality.  

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Aug 22, 2016, 20:13 HoSpanky

BP is a hoot. The graphics are a bit dated now, but it's pretty damn fun. Probably the best open world racer made, has a ton of hidden paths and crazy jumps. The PC version unfortunately never got the island expansion the consoles got, and all DLC is dead, but the base game is still alive, the servers are shockingly still alive.

The only other open world racer that trumps it is Forza Horizon, but it isn't as wild with its jumps and whatnot as BP. FH does have more realistic handling, but it's not the snooze fest the regular Forza games are.

Bottom line: BP is totally worth $5, especially if you can get a couple friends to play.

News Comments > PCIe 4.0 to Deliver More Speed and Power
21. Re: PCIe 4.0 to Deliver More Speed and Power Aug 22, 2016, 15:22 HoSpanky

WallShadows: The Source 210 is decent. I have a pair of them, and would VERY much recommend you get the Elite model. It comes with a front USB3, and snap-lock drive mounts.
My main machine is in an S340, which is GORGEOUS but has worrisome airflow and a window that scratches from contact with...anything. Both issues are solved by running it with the side open, but I don't have kids who would stick their fingers in there.

If you still need a disc drive, get the 210. If you want a case designed to hide wires better than you've ever thought possible (and don't need a disc drive), get a 340. The S340 really does looks impossibly clean when you're finished. Both cases can hold two full length video cards and an AIO watercooler, as I've personally done it. With one card, either case manages the heat just fine.

News Comments > PCIe 4.0 to Deliver More Speed and Power
7. Re: PCIe 4.0 to Deliver More Speed and Power Aug 22, 2016, 10:22 HoSpanky

My question is, really...WHY? If I have to run another power connector to the motherboard, I can just as easily run that to the video card. Feels a lot like a solution in search of a problem.  

News Comments > Ubisoft VR Games Release Schedule
8. Re: Ubisoft VR Games Release Schedule Aug 18, 2016, 20:24 HoSpanky

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 18, 2016, 19:06:
Bridge Crew... please don't require VR... please don't require VR.....

If it doesn't require VR, it'll be a shit game to play in VR. That's the rub, motion-controlled VR requires a game's interface to be built so differently that you can't just "tack it on". If it does both, it'll play like shit for one group. The games that "do both" currently are HEAVILY slanted in favor of one playtype. Home Improvosation on desktop is...not terribly interesting. You have a dollhouse-like area. With VR, you have the dollhouse view AND can get down right next to the pieces, and rotate them around in ways that feel natural. Someone else can play in the same area, and you can work together to figure out what in the fucking fuck the things in the box build.

News Comments > Steep in December
2. Re: Steep in December Aug 17, 2016, 10:16 HoSpanky

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 17, 2016, 10:11:
Some reason I'm really interested in this game.

It's because someone died making an ad for it.

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Open Beta This Month
8. Re: Battlefield 1 Open Beta This Month Aug 15, 2016, 22:04 HoSpanky

Shiiiit, might be the only BF title I pick up right away since 1942! Looks like some pretty gonzo fun!  

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Testing Skipping PCs
2. Re: Titanfall 2 Testing Skipping PCs Aug 15, 2016, 20:03 HoSpanky

I wonder if it's gonna come with 34gb (or more!) of uncompressed audio again. They never went back and added a "thanks but my machine isn't a turd please let me use compressed audio files and save 90% of that space" option. I only paid $5 for it, and they still got more than it was worth after eating over 50gb of space on my gaming SSD.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 12, 2016, 14:53 HoSpanky

jdreyer wrote on Aug 12, 2016, 13:16:
Symmetrical Cable Broadband Speeds Are Coming.

100mbps up AND down!*

(* $150 per month plus fees and taxes)

We offer 1gb symmetrical for $90 (with deep packet scanning, yikes), or $120 without. No data cap.

The Adblock one is a tough fight. Both sides have valid points (as well as invalid).

If a site has minimal info and a ton of ads surrounding what you're wanting to actually SEE, there's a very good chance that you're using more bandwidth for ads than actual content. On cellphones and any metered connection, this is unacceptable. The user shouldn't have to pay for those ads out of their limited bandwidth. We'd see a WHOLE lot fewer crap ads and large video ads if ISPs would simply count traffic from those ad companies and bill THEM for their data usage. If it suddenly cost actual money to hand people a bunch of garbage, that garbage would dwindle away.

People say "I don't buy things through ads anyway, so I don't want to see them". True, but sites need to make money for their content SOMEHOW. Either there'd be a subscription fee, or you get ads. When I order through Amazon, I use a link thru Blue's (when I remember). Every once in a while there will be an ad on here that hijacks my browser, and I switch Adblock on for a few weeks. Ads are a necessary evil, unfortunately on computers they can be TRULY evil, encrypting drives or installing backdoors.

Maybe someday, our government will have people who understand actual recent developments in tech and will make laws about this sort of crap. Unfortunately as soon as they start regulating the Internet...they'll do more than we want. I'm not sure what we have NOW is the worst option.

News Comments > Xbox One Controller Windows Issues
3. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Issues Aug 7, 2016, 13:25 HoSpanky

ItBurn wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 12:59:
"Tim Sweeney thinks Microsoft will make Steam "progressively worse" with Windows 10 patches"

Mmm, this isn't the sort of issue MS would want. This is their own, first-party hardware not working right. That is absolutely not in their best interest. This will get fixed. They already fucked up the Xbone controllers once before.

News Comments > StarCraft HD Next Month?
9. Re: StarCraft II HD Next Month? Aug 5, 2016, 12:05 HoSpanky

I'd rather they get WC3 working properly in widescreen, but this would be neat. Not sure I'd pay more than $5-$10 for it.  

News Comments > Steam VR Tracking Royalty-free
8. Re: Steam VR Tracking Royalty-free Aug 5, 2016, 09:25 HoSpanky

Seems like KXmode really means he's got NO willpower. I've got a friend who keeps avoiding checking out the Vive, because he can't afford one. I keep trying to tell him I'm not trying to get anyone to buy them, but it's neat tech. There honestly isn't enough content for it that works right to get it into mass market appeal.  

News Comments > Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 Patched; Free MUA DLC Plans
11. Re: Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 Patched; Free MUA DLC Plans Aug 3, 2016, 16:00 HoSpanky

PHJF wrote on Aug 3, 2016, 15:20:
"games like these"? Like Diablo and Grim Dawn are supposed to be better with a gamepad?

Diablo 3 on console is actually a ton of fun. I would love for them to allow for controller support on PC, as it makes the combat way better. Local co-op doesn't hurt, but it's not ideal. The menus and inventory management sucks with the gamepad, but on PC, they could allow BOTH. Just like how in GTAV I use M/kb to walk around and pick up my gamepad as I get in a vehicle.

News Comments > Everest VR Released
3. Re: Everest VR Released Aug 2, 2016, 21:58 HoSpanky

Apparently, this is very pretty, but super short. You know when they label it an "experience", but they're asking a surprising amount of money for half an hour. VR owners may be starved for content, but I'm not THAT hungry.  

News Comments > Overwatch Summer Games
6. Re: Overwatch Summer Games Aug 2, 2016, 21:47 HoSpanky

Yay, they started this event up and then Blizzard immediately got DDOS'd by Brazil.  

News Comments > New Titan X Released
11. Re: New Titan X Released Aug 2, 2016, 15:18 HoSpanky

ForgedReality wrote on Aug 2, 2016, 12:56:
VaranDragon wrote on Aug 2, 2016, 12:11:
Actually no, you are wrong. These are intended as top of the line Gaming cards. Nvidia already has professional graphics workstation cards, they are called Quadro. Actually the Titans are cheap compared to the top of the line Quadro cards.

That, and ever since Maxwel Titan X, they haven't been given FP64 acceleration, unlike the prior Titans. So, really, they're not that great at compute tasks, so they're just rich gamer cards now.

I was considering this card before Pascal was released, but seeing its performance (and price) has me backing off a bit. I'd like to see someone overclock it to proper speeds and benchmark that. I'm kind of doubting a 1080 Ti will exist at this point.

Did not realize they disabled the fp64 support. Well yeah, ok, so these are now just absurdly overpriced cards for people who enjoy not using what they paid extra for. 12gb of video memory?

News Comments > New Titan X Released
4. Re: New Titan X Released Aug 2, 2016, 11:46 HoSpanky

Well, shit, my 1080 is scheduled to arrive today, guess I should just deny delivery and order something twice as expensive with a 15% gain!

GinRummy wrote on Aug 2, 2016, 10:40:
They should lease these things to gamers, $100 a month and you get an upgraded Titan X every 10 to 15 months. Older returned ones to be sold refurbished for $250.

Heh, leased video cards sounds harder to control than just leasing entire machines. The sort of person who would lease equipment isn't usually the same sort of person who would want to install it.

Also, these cards are not intended as gaming cards. They're of course quite capable at it, but they're intended for other purposes.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2016, 16:27 HoSpanky

The Paving Army is neat to watch. They're not covering a damaged layer, they just didn't show the day before when they stripped the top off. We have road crews here that block off a section of road in the morning, strip it, resurface and press it and it's ready to go the next day. I'm not sure how long that paving will last, but it's fast and seems to have held up for a few years so far.

The dog thing cracks me up. She tried to do the right thing but clearly has a shifter up by the wheel, which is really easy for a dog to accidentally pull if they're hopping up around there. Also, dog or no dog, leaving your car running is the BEST way to not find your car when you come back out.

1253 Comments. 63 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo