Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1657 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 11, 2017, 23:08 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Dec 11, 2017, 15:24:
So what? You still won't see auton vehicles on the road in significant numbers for decades - not years, decades - to come. Why don't you try to make some affordable for everyone mass-produced electric vehicles, Elon. Everything else you're spouting is just so much nonsense.

Automated PERSONAL vehicles...no. Automated SHIPMENT vehicles? That's the GOAL. Making automated trucks that can follow a route back and forth is WAY easier than making automated taxis. And at least in America, ordering online is THE way to shop anymore. Even if just the trucks back and forth between major hubs can be automated, that's a huge financial gain.

So far, autonomous vehicles have only gotten into accidents due to stupid humans, NOT due to their own actions (AFAIK). The technology is already surprisingly reliable.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag Giveaway Underway
3. Re: Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag Giveaway Underway Dec 11, 2017, 20:46 HoSpanky

Yep. Fantastic fun once you get the ship. It's a couple hours in, but HOO BOY, it's good. The sorta-sequel, AC: Rogue is uglier and buggier, don't bother.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 11, 2017, 13:57 HoSpanky

Welp, Ready Player One's trailer makes it look fantastic. I'm more excited about it than The Last Jedi.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 11, 2017, 12:26 HoSpanky

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 11, 2017, 12:19:
Assuming gamer:
8 a solid recommended minimum.
16 handles additional overheads many will use.
32 specific needs territory.
End.

This, at LEAST until the next generation of consoles comes out with a LOT more ram.
I have 16gb, and I've turned my page file off. Yes, that causes some weirdness, but I'm on SSD and I really am not trying to kill these drives any sooner than I have to. Point is, I've never ran out of ram unless I tab out of a game and start up ANOTHER game. *THEN*, I usually run out of memory and one or both shuts down.

I'm using an 8gb 1080, and my monitor is 1440p.

News Comments > MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Co-op & Steam Workshop Support Announced
3. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Co-op & Steam Workshop Support Announced Dec 10, 2017, 14:31 HoSpanky

Overon wrote on Dec 10, 2017, 14:12:
Piranha is not a top tier developer. They will micro transaction the shit out of this just like they did with Mechwarrior Online.

The game looks...well, godawful in the visuals department. We're talking about Original Xbox-era graphics. I don't care if a game is low budget and they can use an art style to cover it up, but here....this is horrible looking.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
4. Re: New GeForce Drivers Dec 9, 2017, 13:33 HoSpanky

Asmodai wrote on Dec 9, 2017, 10:52:
Yay, finally graphic options for exotic resolutions which they haven't bothered with since Fallout 3 came out...

Surround or 21:9 users have been stuck with WSGF hacks and mods galore for years but VR, shit yeah.

Fucking dickheads...

This...is a completely different game from regular fallout 4. Iíd be surprised if it worked OUTSIDE VR.

I imagine they stopped supporting odd resolutions because those users are few and far between. I used to be angry about how games stopped supporting SLI, but the reality is, there arenít enough people using it to bother coding anything specific for it. Pick a game, any game, and itíll have something that doesnít work with SOMEONEís choice of hardware. This is the inherent downside to having infinitely configurable systems. If you insist on stepping outside ďthe usualĒ choices, you have to accept that you will not be a priority.

News Comments > Fortnite 50v50 Playlist Launches
6. Re: Fortnite 50v50 Playlist Launches Dec 8, 2017, 12:56 HoSpanky

Muscular Beaver wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 12:41:
I think the whole game is made to troll PC players. They even have to play against autoaim console/controller players.
I mean the game is really nice, but the controls are just so unbelievably sluggish, inaccurate, delayed... just weird. It just feels like a full blown console game without any effort put into the PC version.

It doesn't feel like that to me, the menu system in particular seems console UN-friendly. I don't notice any delay or sluggishness....inaccuracy is just down to weapon type/rolls. Keep in mind, I DO NOT play Battle Royale, only Save The World, which are completely different animals. STW is drastically visually superior, to the point that it feels like the sequel to BR. It's mostly due to lighting/fog effects that aren't present in BR...character/weapon/landscape models appear to be the same.

News Comments > Fortnite 50v50 Playlist Launches
1. Re: Fortnite 50v50 Playlist Launches Dec 8, 2017, 11:20 HoSpanky

Due to popular demand, the hitching and second-long lags in PVE have been reintroduced. That super great feeling of missing headshots due to the game becoming unresponsive for quarter-second sections of time is back! Epic felt that their customers were making too many accurate shots or wall placements after "the smoothness" patch, and has brought back this unpredictable "feature". They've also added random disconnects from matches, and CTDs that haven't been around for a long time. Also, placing a trap may also place a random wall segment, often right in the path you intended to leave open!

Also, to address the annoying leeches who join matches and do nothing the entire time (but still get rewards at the end), Epic has introduced a feature called "you can't see your teammates on the map anymore". This will keep you from noticing who doesn't move for an entire match, lowering your personal frustration. Also, required objectives will occasionally not show up on the map anymore, making time-constrained matches even MORE exhilarating!

So many new fun additions!

News Comments > Ubisoft Delays Far Cry 5, The Crew 2, and a Third Game
4. Re: Ubisoft Delays Far Cry 5, The Crew 2, and a Third Game Dec 7, 2017, 22:47 HoSpanky

I winder if the Crew 2 will actually stream properly instead of being a stuttering mess, despite the mediocre graphics.

I bought the first game for under $7, and it was crap. Thankfully, Forza Horizon 3 came out and armored all over that trash.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 7, 2017, 14:06 HoSpanky

Creston wrote on Dec 7, 2017, 13:31:
ForgedReality wrote on Dec 7, 2017, 12:32:
Sorry, but when has Intel or nVidia ever done anything like this?

I meant more in general just doing shitty business practices, though Nvidia did almost the same thing with the GTX970, albeit slightly less blatant.

For Intel, the most blatant thing I can think of off the top of my head that they've been doing recently is putting birdshit TIM in their absurdly expensive processors, all so they can save like 8 cents per die. In the meantime, your temps go up by 20 degrees and your processor probably shortens its lifetime by a few years.

I think Intel is doing this so they have headroom to introduce ďfaster processorsĒ by simply putting better TIM in.

The 970 issue at least happens on every single 970 made, not just some models that showed up well after all reviews were put out. The rx560 with the slower parts is literally a rebranded 460, because people may want to buy cheap but they want THIS yearís model. Dirty inventory clearing trick.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 7, 2017, 09:44 HoSpanky

Well, next time Iím in the market for a video card, Iíll definitely consider MSIís version. I donít like the red (my entire rig is black and white), but volume is definitely a consideration. My rig sits on the desk, with the side panel removed. That helps keep it cool and quiet in most situations, but a few games push it pretty hard and itíll get a little noisy. My MAIN noisemaker is unfortunately the fans/pump on my waterblock. Now that Noctua makes black fans, Iím replacing it with an air cooler.  

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 6, 2017, 23:27 HoSpanky

Creston wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 22:18:
HoSpanky wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 21:49:
I don't get why EVGA has so many 1070ti models....they can't bump up the speeds on them, Nvidia locked that down so you can't push a 1070ti faster than a 1080.

? I think you can. They just don't want them clocked that way straight out of the gate.

The big advantage a 1080 has over a 1070ti is that it has 3GB more memory, but other than that, the 1070ti is a goddamn monster of a card. I got the MSI Gaming one, and the thing is COMPLETELY quiet. I'm not being hyperbolic. It is COMPLETELY quiet. While I'm playing a game, I can't hear it. Right now while I'm on the web, I can't hear it.

I turned the fan to 100% to see what it'd sound like, and it's literally barely a whisper. It is AMAZING how quiet they made that thing, especially considering the heatsink weighs like 9000 lbs. (I was seriously worried about the weight of that card hanging in that PCI-E slot. It's the heaviest graphics card I've ever owned.)

My old GTX970 (by EVGA, coincidentally) is a fucking twin-turbo vacuum cleaner compared to the 1070ti.

The 1080 has the same amount of ram as the 1070ti. it's the 1080ti that has the extra 3gb.

I thought I'd read the 1070tis were locked down, but maybe I was wrong. Glad to hear the MSI cooler is quiet. I have a 1080 from EVGA, and it's also quiet when gaming. Maybe not as quiet as the MSI, tho.

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 6, 2017, 21:49 HoSpanky

I don't get why EVGA has so many 1070ti models....they can't bump up the speeds on them, Nvidia locked that down so you can't push a 1070ti faster than a 1080.  

News Comments > Morning Patches
3. Re: Morning Patches Dec 5, 2017, 17:41 HoSpanky

It helps to keep your thumb centered on the pad, if you just want teleportation.

The game would drop, for a moment, to the loading screen every 20 seconds or so, and then hard freeze for 3-4 seconds every few minutes. The freezing is instant nausea, as the view halts. Any head movement feels VERY wrong at that point.

This is on a factory overclocked 1080 and a 4790k.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 5, 2017, 13:44 HoSpanky

Itís kinda ridiculous that people whose hardware is *below minimum spec* are angry about it not working. UBI did nothing wrong here, EVEN IF itís a fixable software issue. They clearly displayed the minimum spec, and arenít responsible for people who purchase the game with knowingly out of spec hardware.

Sure, maybe they just assumed itíd run worse. But thatís an assumption, and UBI again isnít responsible for people making assumptions. Maybe more devs need to do this, to drag people into this decade.

News Comments > DOOM VFR Released
12. Re: DOOM VFR Released Dec 1, 2017, 15:02 HoSpanky

On a 1080 / 4790k, it pops up the Steam loading screen rather often, and the whole thing freezes up every few minutes, which it then comes back looking horribly blurry. When itís working, itís rather fun. The machine itís on has one single purpose, thereís no extraneous software that might chew up resources.

The game is clearly short...it handed me two new guns between a single fight. The problems can probably be ironed out, but Iíd hold off for now.

7. Re: DOOM VFR Released Dec 1, 2017, 09:29 HoSpanky

The initial flood of bad reviews were heavily saturated with Rift owners. I do see all the reports of issues for Vive owners as well, but just as many saying it works fine on lesser hardware. Any demanding game that people run on the bare minimum hardware, there's bound to be people running other things in the background that they "don't think would affect it", and so they don't mention it.

A friend bought this, and I've got Family Sharing, so I'll download and test this in the next couple hours.

3. Re: DOOM VFR Released Nov 30, 2017, 21:12 HoSpanky

lol, the reviews are being trashed by Oculus users who can't run it without a hack.  

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers and DOOM VFR Specs
1. Re: New GeForce Drivers and DOOM VFR Specs Nov 30, 2017, 16:42 HoSpanky

Aww yiss. Canít WAIT to see those monsters in VR. Will be playing this tomorrow!  

News Comments > Battlezone Combat Commander Announced
1. Re: Battlezone Combat Commander Announced Nov 29, 2017, 20:51 HoSpanky

Ugh, this isnít a remake. Itís a compatibility patch at best. I mean, yay, itís nice that itíll play decently, but letís call it for what it is.  

1657 Comments. 83 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo