Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1566 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 23, 2017, 16:59 HoSpanky

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Aug 23, 2017, 10:56:
Smart but too greedy, he should have included someone else on the scam to cash in.. wouldn't have been caught.

Pretty much. Get a very good friend to be the "winner", and it would never have been an issue. You both walk away loaded. I'm not condoning his actions, just flabbergasted that he clearly would have succeeded if he'd just taken one rather obvious step.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Bethesda Reveals VR Release Dates
14. Re: Bethesda Reveals VR Release Dates Aug 23, 2017, 15:28 HoSpanky

jdreyer wrote on Aug 23, 2017, 13:40:
theglaze wrote on Aug 23, 2017, 12:45:
Be careful what you ask for!

Some friends and I tried the latest Aliens: Isolation VR mod for the Rift... it gave all of us motion sickness to the point where none of us wanted to play it again!

Yes, the immersion was intense and the games atmosphere was engrossing, giving it a certain thrill and excitement.

However, the movement from the first person POV was a tough pill to swallow. Perhaps a third person POV would be easier to tolerate... but the speed of Doom makes it a barf fest Puke

Doom won't be run and gun. They'll use the magic teleport style of gameplay other fps games have done.

Sssssorta. Last I saw, it uses Dash mechanics, which means you can't port THRU enemies. I'm a fan of Dash, as it allows those with nausea issues to play without problems, yet doesn't have the disorienting "blink" of teleporting.

In a slower paced game, I still think Budget Cuts got the teleporting mechanic down the best. (NO, the full game isn't out yet. The devs claim it should be out late this year or early next year, but there's no confirmed date yet.)

News Comments > Bethesda Reveals VR Release Dates
8. Re: Bethesda Reveals VR Release Dates Aug 23, 2017, 13:16 HoSpanky

Gib007 wrote on Aug 23, 2017, 12:39:
"No PC version of Skyrim VR is planned"

Why the hell not!? I don't understand that.

I'm betting there's some Sony money in there.

Also, I KINDA hope they have hardware blocks for people using Rifts. So tired of Rift users defending the Oculus store's hardware exclusivity, maybe they'll understand the annoyance Vive users feel with the Bethesda releases.

News Comments > The Crew 2 in March
1. Re: The Crew 2 in March Aug 22, 2017, 11:46 HoSpanky

Maybe this time they'll have figured out how to stream data in so the game isn't constantly stuttering.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 21, 2017, 22:18 HoSpanky

Eye tracking and foveated rendering to the rescue! Both technologies are already working, you can add it to a Vive if you want. I'll wait until it's built into the next gen sets.  

News Comments > Age of Empires 4 and More Definitive Editions Announced
18. Re: Age of Empires 4 and More Definitive Editions Announced Aug 21, 2017, 22:04 HoSpanky

FloorPie wrote on Aug 21, 2017, 20:43:
How is DRM not a valid argument? The UWP stuff locks out game mods almost completely. Its a total walled garden.

But lets just ignore that and the even bigger issue of MS has fucked over its customers before with GFWL!

I 100% agree with the worry that Microsoft will abandon UWP on a whim like GFWL. *So far*, the games I've bought off the windows store are Xbox one crossplay compatible, so I SHOULD have a place to play them even if it goes to shit. The only sorta-assurance you've got is that MS plans on sticking to win10 forever.

I don't mind UWP's inability to be modded, but then I usually play thru a game and that's it...I don't go back, playing with various mods. There are SO many games on my backlog.

Anyway, the only UWP game I currently play is Forza Horizon 3, which is spectacular. Best simcade racing game made, period.

News Comments > Age of Empires 4 and More Definitive Editions Announced
9. Re: Age of Empires 4 and More Definitive Editions Announced Aug 21, 2017, 19:56 HoSpanky

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 21, 2017, 19:30:
Kajetan wrote on Aug 21, 2017, 19:03:
Probably only via Windows Store ...

Yep. At least at first and therefore zero fucks given for now.

It's also scary when they explicitly promote the most basic of features like being able to select idle villagers. Who are they trying to impress with that sort of crap? Console peasants?

I'll check this out when (or if) it releases on other platforms than the Win store and sells for less than $10. For now: Yawn. Next.

You DO realize the feature of being able to select idle villagers is being shown for the updated ORIGINAL game, yes? That's not AoE4.

The update to AoE is pretty substantial. I'm honestly surprised; that's at "whole new game" level of work. If Microsoft still owns all rights to the AOE titles, it's also not a surprise they're going to put it on their own store. What's the difference between the Windows Store, Origin, the Epic Launcher, and Uplay? Nothing, just none of them are Steam.

News Comments > Hurl VR Next Month
1. Re: Hurl VR Next Month Aug 20, 2017, 12:16 HoSpanky

Another visually half-ass VR game with apparently one single gameplay element. Hello, tech demo.

I do get it, developers spend an incredible amount of time just getting things to "feel" right, currently. There's not much money to be made yet, as the general population won't be buying gen1 or probably even gen2 VR kits. Until they're brain-dead easy to set up, and run on any old garbage computer (because that's what the general population expects), VR kits won't be mainstream. Then there's still the matter of looking silly while wearing one.

All that said, I enjoy goofing around on the Vive, but there's not much compelling software to keep me IN there. Rec Room and To The Top are pretty much the only things I play on it now.

News Comments > Spintires: MudRunner Announced
5. Re: Spintires: MudRunner Announced Aug 18, 2017, 14:55 HoSpanky

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Aug 18, 2017, 11:28:
So wait, this is published by Focus and developed by Sabre. So the original developer's not involved in this at all?

Man, there was a lot going on with that...he says he wasn't being paid properly, IIRC.

News Comments > AMD Radeon RX Vegas Launch
7. Re: AMD Radeon RX Vegas Launch Aug 14, 2017, 12:49 HoSpanky

Didn't expect much from them to begin with. I will say I'm surprised that it can take on a 1080 (albeit at much higher power consumption and noise level).

For VR especially, these things are a bad investment. Both major game engines being used for VR have VRWorks integrated now, which has already proven to be a big performance jump. AMD has nothing similar, and never tries very hard to work with developers.

These things need to drop at least $100 before they hit what their actual value level is.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 12, 2017, 13:37 HoSpanky

The pharma gouging is forcing people with medicinal needs to out of country sellers. How they didn't see that coming is absurd.

I don't see how it's illegal to sell drugs online, if they're drugs that aren't illegal to sell in the US at crazy high prices.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 11, 2017, 14:59 HoSpanky

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 12:38:
Well, Cyanide and Happiness is an amazing web comic, not sure how it'll translate into a game though.

Could turn out great. The Penny Arcade games were pretty fun, and were packed with in-jokes for their fans. Now, that's a case of "a comic focusing on video games and general geekery spawning a game." C&H doesn't have that advantage, but good game mechanics would take it halfway. As long as the game can hold onto C&H's humor, that's the other half. Writing in a game can make or break it...no one would even remember Portal now if it didn't have its mostly-unseen antagonist and her brilliant monologues.

Anyway, I'd wait until there are previews/reviews before being too worried about it.

News Comments > South Park: The Fractured But Whole Specs
2. Re: South Park: The Fractured But Whole Specs Aug 11, 2017, 14:41 HoSpanky

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 14:34:
Never noticed V-Sync as a minimum/recommended spec before

Yeah, I found that odd, but it's likely so they get raw framerate...turning it on will put much higher demands on the video card to hit 60fps.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 10, 2017, 09:27 HoSpanky

Pigeon wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 08:48:
A quick search suggests the graphics hardware is not available to run most modern games at or near 144 FPS @4k. Even two 1080tiís in SLI are only hitting around 60FPS in many games, seems like they could wait till 2019. Though Iím sure there are a lot of people who would(will) throw money their money at them regardless, because OMG 4K144GSYNCHDR!!!!!

ehhhh, a large reason to get a g-sync monitor is because it makes sub-60fps games feel much smoother. Also, keep in mind that you're only thinking about NEW games, or games that have super high end graphics. People who play games like DOTA2 would get 100+ fps, and would argue that it's worth it...but again, g-sync's advantage is mostly noticeable at LOW framerates.

I have a 1440p g-sync monitor. At this time, I don't see a reason to bump up to 4K, as aliasing is pretty much gone anyway for me.

News Comments > Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Released
3. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Released Aug 8, 2017, 10:31 HoSpanky

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 10:07:
Looks amazing.... very positive reviews..... 30 bucks..... ok one of these seems off.

It's about a 6 hour long game. I think NT is simply aiming for the price point that people tend to wait to buy single player games at to get the most sales out the gate. Lawbreakers also is $30. Wondering if this is going to be a new trend.

Anyway, I'm gonna pick it up.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 7, 2017, 11:55 HoSpanky

The v-sync article has one interesting tidbit that makes me wonder if I really will hold onto my bonkers-expensive g-sync monitor...g-sync with HDR. It'll depend on how many games support HDR on PC, and I suspect it may be a chicken/egg issue for a while.

So maybe I WILL hold onto this monitor for a while longer. I realllly hope Nvidia gets better monitor partners. LG or Samsung would be preferred.

News Comments > Archangel Released
2. Re: Archangel Released Aug 4, 2017, 07:45 HoSpanky

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Aug 3, 2017, 21:10:
So my last post about my new rift not being up to performance. Turns out my fans on my GeForce 980 ti stopped working. Other than that, I might check this game out if reviews are good

Reviews of it are...meh. Apparently the story and characters aren't remotely engaging, and only the super-pretty on-rails shooter part is any good.

BOTH fans stopped working? Sounds more like the fan controller or the temperature sensor stopped working...but if it was the temp sensor, the card likely would have burned itself up instead of running slow.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2017, 12:55 HoSpanky

Cutter, I'm assuming he was a counselor at that camp, not an attendee.

Sounds like you had a good time, Blue. As a kid, I couldn't comprehend why my parents would plan out entire weekends to do things with their friends...the concept of not seeing them for months/years seemed absurd. Now, even though most of my friends are still local, it's a rare occasion that we can all get together. We generally do a lan party where half the time is spent NOT playing games...another thing kid-me would never have understood.

News Comments > X-Morph: Defense This Month
1. Re: X-Morph: Defense This Month Aug 1, 2017, 19:19 HoSpanky

Yep, already on my steam wishlist. Looks like a good time.  

News Comments > Secret World Legends Launches
2. Re: Secret World Legends Launches Aug 1, 2017, 10:29 HoSpanky

Thanks for the review, Asmodai. I have a friend who was wanting to get us into this game (he bought a lifetime account when it first came out). I may still check it out for the storylines, but it sounds like I'm going to be absurdly underpowered and hit a difficulty wall pretty quickly if loot drops are locked behind a paywall.  

1566 Comments. 79 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo