Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1218 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
2. Re: Hardware Reviews Jul 23, 2016, 22:41 HoSpanky

Yeah I doubt I'm going watercooled again. It's a pain, even with an AIO kit. I did it to get my machine quieter, not for overclocking. But then I got a Noctua heat sink, for a machine I didn't use much. I got a mid grade one, and the fucker is silent like the impossibly silent ninjas in movies. It clearly does its job just fine. And does it even quieter than my waterblock.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 20, 2016, 13:48 HoSpanky

Creston wrote on Jul 20, 2016, 12:30:
Kickstart now so we can sell to Facebook in 12 months.

Mmm, no. Did you even look at it? This is a google cardboard thing, not a full system. Also, they're full of crap, it's not the first VR system with adjustable lenses, both the Rift and the Vive do it. But they're willfully ignoring those devices in describing their own thing. Or maybe they're admitting that phone VR isn't remotely in the same class, despite phone makers claiming it is.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 19, 2016, 14:38 HoSpanky

I'm just stunned that someone higher up in organized sports is going to prison, for anything. They're usually Hillary-Clinton level exempt from the law.  

News Comments > Morning Previews
1. Re: Morning Previews Jul 19, 2016, 09:34 HoSpanky

My first impression of it is: not impressed. It's fine single player, but co-op is a trainwreck, and I only bought it for the co-op. It's simultaneously the most professional AND the most broken VR game I've played.  

News Comments > Trials on Tatooine Released
6. Re: Trials on Tatooine Released Jul 18, 2016, 23:50 HoSpanky

Mreh, wasn't super impressed. Was able to run it on medium, as said already, it's not pretty enough to explain the hardware requirements. Also super duper short.

And that's a LAME Han impression. Are there no Harrison Ford voice impersonators?

News Comments > Rimworld Steam Key Fraud Halted
25. Re: Rimworld Steam Key Fraud Halted Jul 18, 2016, 18:06 HoSpanky

Lol @ Cutter's new Signature. I cannot wait to see how many things in NMS get named "[color] Florp".  

News Comments > 8DAYS in 4DAYS
3. Re: 8DAYS in 4DAYS Jul 18, 2016, 15:57 HoSpanky

Hrm. While I do love dual stick shooters, this one's animation (on the main characters, even) is...odd. As if this is their first game and they didn't do any research on Sprite animations before tossing their first attempt out and calling it a day.

They seriously appear to be very agile, and simultaneously horribly, horribly crippled. Like they had childhood polio, and somehow overcame it through sheer gumption without their legs ever healing. I don't think I could get past that weird ass animation and enjoy the game.

News Comments > Rimworld Steam Key Fraud Halted
3. Re: Rimworld Steam Key Fraud Halted Jul 18, 2016, 13:24 HoSpanky

I don't understand exactly what's happening, what are the charge backs for, and how does that get someone (other than the CC company) a profit?

And while the game isn't my style, yeah, it sucks that this is hurting a small developer.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 18, 2016, 11:53 HoSpanky

Creston wrote on Jul 18, 2016, 11:33:
some delusional MS executive

Hahahaha.

I wonder if "demand is high" because people see the S and think this is Scorpio, a year early. I hope not. That'd be...very disappointing.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 18, 2016, 10:41 HoSpanky

Verno wrote on Jul 18, 2016, 10:02:
I don't know many people who can even explain what the Xbox One S actually is, Microsoft did a wonderful job of confusing their consumer base with simultaneous announcements. Not to mention I couldn't imagine diving into the Xbox One with the idea that a better one will arrive in a year or two.

I know someone's win10 hate-sense is gonna start tingling, but most of the exclusives for the Xbone are coming out on PC as well. Yes, it requires win10 and unfortunately using the Windows store, but...
Forza Horizon in 1440p. That's really all I need to know to pull a Fry and throw my money at them.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
12. Re: What media companies donít want you to know about ad blockers. Jul 17, 2016, 22:59 HoSpanky

Well, Fiber is now cheaper to run than copper, so you're going to see a hefty increase in fiber rollouts. As for that fiber running in front of your house...is that local, or is that a backbone line? I'm assuming it's not local, or else there'd be a ready access terminal every quarter mile or so.

Simon, you never really answered if you were in a small town or middle of nowhere. Can't imagine you're WAY out in the boonies, or you wouldn't have 4G. Good luck, a 20gb cap is rough.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
6. Re: What media companies donít want you to know about ad blockers. Jul 17, 2016, 13:31 HoSpanky

Yikes, Simon. I assume you live in a rural area? if it's an actual TOWN, there are a lot of small fiber companies that are pushing into small towns to get them internet/tv. You should see if there are any in your state, and try to get your local gov't to pester them about coming to your town. If you're out in the middle of nowhere....well, that goes in the "what did you expect" category.  

News Comments > Raw Data Early Access
2. Re: Raw Data Early Access Jul 14, 2016, 20:45 HoSpanky

I agree Gib. It's pretty fun. Ran like garbage initially, quit out, hey an update...now it runs quite a bit smoother. The Ready Room is still a bit much for my poor 970, but now missions run nice and smoothly.

Sadly, they show your forearms, which don't move properly most of the time. It'd look much less weird if they'd just show your hands. Played multi with someone whose mic was open and sounded like they were playing in a wind tunnel, they were so loud I couldn't hear the robots. But it was great fun.

The teleport would look better if they had the characters leap around, as it appears from your own perspective.

News Comments > Overwatch 21:9 Support Follow-up
2. Re: Overwatch 21:9 Support Follow-up Jul 13, 2016, 09:40 HoSpanky

This reasoning was used for Battlefield 2 (it was 4:3 and 16:9 discrepancies at the time).
In competitive games, this sort of thing doesn't bother me. I don't think giving 21:9 screens full functionality would really give them much of an advantage. Honestly, having 60 FPS (or more) solid is a bigger advantage than a mildly wider FOV, but whatever.

I'd probably be more angry if I had a 21:9 monitor, but at the same time, I avoided getting one SPECIFICALLY because it wouldn't be supported by a lot of games.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 12, 2016, 16:08 HoSpanky

He spent almost $200 on the case, saying "it's ugly but all cases are ugly". Clearly neither he nor his "helper" took a glance at NZXT's S340. $70, incredibly pretty. The paint job is shiny like a new car, even on the inside.

And that's just one of several doofus mistakes, although to be fair, everyone's first computer build is a bit harrowing and overwhelming. But if a friend of mine can get his 9 year old, ADHD son to successfully assemble his own machine (albeit from pre-chosen parts), it's not rocket science. It's absolutely not as easy as a console, but the muscle and configurability is the tradeoff. Cost isn't nearly what he's making it out to be, either.

I wonder if anyone hosts "learn to build a computer" classes. I think the biggest issue keeping people from PC gaming is not knowing where to begin.

News Comments > Gas Guzzlers Extreme Adds DirectX 11 Support
1. Re: Gas Guzzlers Extreme Adds DirectX 11 Support Jul 12, 2016, 14:01 HoSpanky

Picked this game up in a bundle for around $5, included the DLC. The racing is alright, but the zombie DLC is a hoot in multiplayer, as are pretty much any of the non-racing modes.

Glad to see they've put out what appears to be a substantial update. Will have to see if it's actually noticeable.

Either way, trying to escape a herd of dynamite-strapped kamikaze buffalo while screaming for someone to take them down, then getting t-boned by a giant skinned dog will still be weird, great fun.

Edit: it's $7 on steam right now with both expansions. if you can get a couple friends to buy in as well, it's great in multi. So-so single player.

This comment was edited on Jul 12, 2016, 14:08.

News Comments > Just Cause 3 MP Mod Halted
9. Re: Just Cause 3 MP Mod Halted Jul 11, 2016, 18:45 HoSpanky

Moog wrote on Jul 11, 2016, 11:38:
Parias wrote on Jul 11, 2016, 11:08:
God, I would love to have co-op play in Just Cause 3. The most similar type of game I can think of that had this was Mercenaries 2, which turned a somewhat average experience into something hilarious and awesome.
Mercs 2! What an amazing co-op game
Frigging EA shut down the servers barely 18m after releasing the game, turning it into a SP game only. Cunts.

God...Mercs2! Despite some severely buggy gameplay, was a riot in co-op. Getting in WAY over our heads was such hilarious fun.

News Comments > Gone Gold - No Man's Sky
20. Re: Gone Gold - No Man's Sky Jul 7, 2016, 23:11 HoSpanky

I'm hoping there's some cohesive gel that makes the game super fun that just doesn't show in the videos, or that they're intentionally keeping secret.

Also, I will be extremely disappointed if you guys who do buy it don't immediately name every animal of the same sort that you find, a Florp.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
7. Re: New GeForce Drivers Jul 7, 2016, 07:34 HoSpanky

Nuhauser: currently, yes, because there's a standard (openVR) and oculus decided not to use it. Their headset is close enough that there's software called ReVive that makes Oculus-only titles work on the Vive. It's not ideal, and Oculus may give up their pointless lockdown and allow Vive headsets to have native support in their store. Right now their exclusivity is only hurting their store's revenue, it gains them nothing.

eRe4s3r: HTC badly wants VR to work, as their phone business is sinking. They specifically put up a $100 million VR fund to aid VR game development, but have not mentioned where any of it has gone. Valve is distancing itself slightly from the Vive so other manufacturers will make headsets, which is why it's called the HTC Vive.
A game being on Steam DOES NOT mean it's Vive compatible. About half of the VR titles on Steam will ONLY work in VR with a Rift. Some of them will work using ReVive, but not all. I do not have ReVive installed because it can cause games that work for both headsets to run using the Rift profile, which apparently causes weird shit to happen. VR is the last place you want weird crap happening in a game.

As racing/cockpit games get these VR retrofits, the need for more muscle is plainly obvious. A 970 DOES NOT CUT IT for any retrofitted game, as their lowest detail levels are STILL too much for it to render at 90 FPS reliably. I keep looking for a non-scalper 1080. Not one game so far has mentioned being altered to use Simultaneous Multiprojection, however, which should almost double framerate. Devs should be jumping all over that, but they aren't. Just like none of them have embraced VR SLI from the 700/900 series.

News Comments > Trials of the Blood Dragon Demo Can Unlock Full Game
2. Re: Trials of the Blood Dragon Demo Can Unlock Full Game Jul 6, 2016, 23:41 HoSpanky

Nice promotion, shame the game is getting...not-good reviews. But hey if you can snag it for free, go for it!  

1218 Comments. 61 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo