Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 2252 (Senior)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > PC Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary Testing Nears

2. Re: PC Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary Testing Nears Jan 19, 2020, 14:20 HoSpanky

Hump wrote on Jan 19, 2020, 13:58:
Not sure why they simply don't use the existing PC port since it runs smooth as hell

The PC port is of the original game. This version has had a makeover. I found that it made weapons SUPER hard to spot on the ground, as the new grass covers them up...but you can switch between the updated look and the original with the push of a button, making it easy to spot those guns. Still, a little vertical light plume would have been handy.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 19, 2020, 13:39 HoSpanky

I feel like this list is yelling at me.  

News Comments > Hardware Reviews

2. Re: Hardware Reviews Jan 19, 2020, 08:49 HoSpanky

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 18, 2020, 14:43:
Out of 149 tests run on the three processors, the Ryzen 9 3950X won 128 of them and the Ryzen 9 3900X with its slightly higher base clocks won another 13 tests while the Core i9 9900KS came out just ahead in eight of them.
Thank You AMD!

Awesome, precisely zero of these tests affect what I would ever do with one of these processors. For gaming, the Intel chip is still king, simply due to single-core performance. Iím sure that as game programmers get better at multi thread coding, AMDís chips will close the gap and probably lead, if Intel doesnít come up with a decent response.
Iím on the fence about what processor Iíll go with next time. Iím not even sure when next time will BE, considering my 4790k still pushes my games quite well.

News Comments > Horizon: Zero Dawn PC Rumor

2. Re: Horizon: Zero Dawn PC Rumor Jan 16, 2020, 21:29 HoSpanky

Oh shit, this game is fantastic. If more people get to play it, awesome!  

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed

4. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed Jan 16, 2020, 21:00 HoSpanky

Better late than a trainwreck at launch. I have plenty of other games to play before this comes out, but oh boy I plan on taking a week off work when it finally does launch.

Now, the question is whether CP2077 or Half Life Alyx comes out first. I fully expect a delay on Alyx, itís got so many eyes on it at this point that itíll be the make-or-break game for VR.

Also canít wait until the non-gaming press finds out about the apparently full nudity in CP2077. Gonna be SO much more of a debacle than GTA San Andreas, despite Steam being PACKED with games full of tentacle rape at this point.

News Comments > WoW Visions of N'Zoth Live

13. Re: WoW Visions of N'Zoth Live Jan 16, 2020, 09:07 HoSpanky

The wife and I get into WoW basically when an expansion comes out. Their artists pull off some amazing sights, and itís fun to reconnect with the guild weíre in that doesnít kick us even when weíre gone for a year or so. We just get bored with the content within a couple months and quit.
All these extra dungeons are things weíll go back and play during the next expansion. It gives us more new stuff to see, and less frustration in getting through them.

News Comments > Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year

13. Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 14, 2020, 12:12 HoSpanky

I'm having an impossible time keeping up with the games I actually BUY, but I do snag everything EGS hands out for free.

I've only purchased one game on the EGS, and it's gonna hibernate until the next big patch. By then, it'll be past the one year exclusivity deal and everyone who's terrified to have another launcher installed can probably grab Satisfactory on Steam. It's *already* great, just missing the endgame content.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits

1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 11, 2020, 21:16 HoSpanky

A LOT of people are coming into our shop asking about Windows 10. Lots of these people want to upgrade their insanely weak computers to it, at a cost (OS + installation) thatíd BUY them a technically better machine with win10 on it.
I donít understand their logic, aside from ďwhy replace something that works?Ē.

Itís a weird job. People who willfully use garbage hardware come in for advice that theyíll then blatantly ignore because itís not what they wanted to hear. Why did you come waste my time to begin with? Are you lonely?

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization

1. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jan 11, 2020, 17:22 HoSpanky

I work in a computer repair shop, and have had multiple laptops AND desktops come in. They complain that itís a gaming device but doesnít run games very well. All of them are branded as gaming devices but run bottom-end video hardware.

You know kids got these as gifts from parents who donít know any better. I have to explain to them that their machine (usually) has a surprisingly high end processor and 16+ GB of ram but none of that matters if itís running on-processor video (or a gtx710 in one case, in an ibuypower machine purchased 2 months ago, new).

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 10, 2020, 17:01 HoSpanky

I have a 4970k and a gtx1080, running a Vive. I replaced the controllers with Index controllers recently, HUGE difference. It's less that the Index controllers are amazing and more than the Vive controllers were....unique, and not particularly well-made.
I routinely break out Beat Saber...it's a crowd pleaser for sure.
I had to wait on the new controllers to finish playing Moss, due to the Vive controllers being basically worthless in that game. It's not a long game, but it's incredibly well done.
I'm currently working through Budget Cuts and Apex Construct.
A Fisherman's Tale is another short-but-great game, with a unique gameplay feature that it uses wonderfully.
I occasionally fire up To The Top, a game that puts your fear of heights to quite a test. It's not even SORT of uncomfortable to play, even if you don't like artificial locomotion. It's one of the first "you're moving!!" games I'd suggest, simply because you're flung about and yet you'll be oddly comfortable. Except when you fall. Oh man.

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Passes 10M Players

13. Re: Sea of Thieves Passes 10M Players Jan 9, 2020, 08:31 HoSpanky

Most of my friends have Gamepass, and SoT is pretty entertaining to get 4 people together in. No, there isnít any actual progression, and missions are fairly basic, but itís the imprecision of the game that gives it that...something extra.
Single player, itís boring as hell. Co-op is fun, with a good split between slow times like trying to figure out a location on a map, to frantically trying to save your ship from a kraken.

News Comments > Morning Multiplex

1. Re: Morning Multiplex Jan 2, 2020, 13:40 HoSpanky

Capcom will wait until theyíre a week from release to send a C&D. That way it makes sure the devs wasted as much time as possible on something they canít release.

Honestly, I donít understand why anyone, ANYONE, does these large-scale unofficial remakes. Most get shut down right before release, and then all their work is hidden from the rest of the world, including the potential employers theyíre trying to attract. Why not just...make an all new game with all that time being spent? Doesnít even have to be drastically different, just different ENOUGH that they canít get nailed for copyright violation.

News Comments > Get Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair for Free

14. Re: Get Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair for Free Dec 31, 2019, 22:35 HoSpanky

Rilcon wrote on Dec 31, 2019, 18:13:
NKD wrote on Dec 31, 2019, 18:03:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 31, 2019, 17:29:
http://archive.today/Q03Va

Why the archive?

Perhaps to record the moment we sold our souls to the devil and forfeit the world to an age of Epic darkness.

Pssh, that was ages ago. The instant there were two digital storefronts, exclusives happened. Epic isnít doing anything different from any other storefront (aside from being super-super-pathetically barebones). Steam has exclusives, as do Origin and Uplay. Get over it. The only difference is the EGS ones arenít permanent exclusives, so...whatís the problem again?

Anyway, snagged the game.

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2019, 17:07 HoSpanky

Index is backordered into February and somehow still on the list.  

News Comments > Conan Chop Chop in February

4. Re: Conan Chop Chop in February Dec 18, 2019, 12:37 HoSpanky

Ah, this looks like a good time, like Castle Crashers without the linear levels. If itís a decent price Iím down.  

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2019, 08:27 HoSpanky

A VR-only game made it onto the list...and one that forces players to use a movement system that is extremely uncomfortable, even for those used to artificial locomotion. I doubt itíll be on the list again next week, but still, nice to see.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse

1. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 10, 2019, 20:35 HoSpanky

nono
it's "AT&T reises DirecTV prices DUE TO losing millions of customers".

Content isn't suddenly cheaper to produce just because fewer people are watching it. Content providers keep raising their rates, KNOWING there are fewer viewers but refusing to accept that maybe they won't be making as much as they used to. AT&T is STRUGGLING after buying two companies and neither has panned out to give them even half of the purchase price in value. Sure, they say they're still making ends meet, but I worked there for years, up until this summer. It felt like I worked for some one-town cable startup, they kept replacing GOOD equipment with cheaper, clearly crappier versions. Cut our part counts down on orders, like only allowing us to order 6 HDMI cords a WEEK. We'd regularly install 6-10 tvs A DAY. Clearly, that very obvious metric was ignored, along with several others, because "they cost too much".

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 8, 2019, 22:09 HoSpanky

The Halo games are a blast to play through, although they benefit HUGELY from having friends to play with. Playing Co-op through these games on the hardest difficulty made some of my fondest gaming memories. That WAS using a controller, I donít know if they tweaked the enemy reaction times to be deadlier now that you can use a keyboard n mouse.
Working on convincing a couple PC buddies to pick up one game, the collection, or Game Pass so we can giggle at punching elites and running over grunts with a warthog.

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 8, 2019, 16:30 HoSpanky

afka Rossini wrote on Dec 8, 2019, 15:27:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 8, 2019, 14:35:
Red Dead in VR
giddy up

Is that official?

No way. It barely runs at 60fps on high end machines.

News Comments > Black Mesa Complete Beta

6. Re: Black Mesa Complete Beta Dec 7, 2019, 22:50 HoSpanky

I apparently already own this. They must have had it on a sale a while back. Well, I did intend to replay both HL games prior to Alyxís release, so Iíll go through this one instead. Thereís also a super pretty HL2 mod apparently, Iíll go through that as well. I donít need the authenticity of the original, now sparse and ugly, artwork.  

2252 Comments. 113 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >