Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Bend, OR 04/29

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1471 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 24, 2017, 14:44 HoSpanky

jdreyer wrote on Apr 24, 2017, 14:17:
We all have our wall of shame: those great movies that we haven't gotten around to seeing yet. Top 2 on mine are Fight Club, and The Prestige. Well, only Fight Club remains because I watched The Prestige this weekend. Amazing story, amazing cast, great world building, just such a fantastic film. Easily Nolan's best film, and I say that as a huge fan of all his other work (excepting perhaps DKR)

Holy Jeebus you picked Prestige over Fight Club...well, you saved the best for last, I suppose. Not that The Prestige isn't great; it's fantastic. Fight Club is just significantly better. Hopefully you've gotten this far without someone ruining it for you.

Edit: I just realized I re-bought Fight Club on blu-ray and haven't watched it. Well, shit, I know what I'm doing tonight.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Free Mega Bundles
2. Re: Heroes of the Storm Free Mega Bundles Apr 22, 2017, 20:03 HoSpanky

This is a great deal for those who are just starting out with the game. I'm annoyed that they're taking away the ability to buy master skins and color variants, and instead turning it into "hey, here's a TON of crap for the characters you don't want!". I'm not sure who likes that style of "reward", but clearly people love the shit out of loot boxes in Overwatch, which is why this came to HOTS.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 21, 2017, 15:38 HoSpanky

Sites like this are a problem for several reasons, and I get why devs hate them. Look, if what YOU did for a living was suddenly devalued by someone who's actively taking revenue from you, you'd be pissed too. You can say "well get over it", or "then go do something else", but if everyone left the industry, who would make games?

Cutter, Canada and Australia really get the shaft on game pricing, and that needs to be addressed by the developers/publishers directly. It's their own fault that people look elsewhere in those particular cases. But when someone buys keys meant for a country where "full" price would sell zero copies, then resells them in another country, that's some horseshit. Acting like it's the same as any other commodity is asinine; any other commodity costs money to physically transfer around the globe. THAT cost usually negates the savings, so it doesn't happen.

And that's before the stolen card shit is added in.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2017, 14:46 HoSpanky

Not sure why, but 4/20 is also apparently a big day for VR content releases. I mean, I get why Rick and Morty's game launched today, but RecRoom (currently the closest thing to a killer app for VR, and it's free) and Arizona Sunshine both put out significant content additions today.

Ugh @ Shkreli. Sporting The World's Second Most Punchable Face, I can see why maybe the judge had a bit of mercy on him, but god damn, he's a turd.

News Comments > NIGHTHAW-X3000 Launches
1. Re: NIGHTHAW-X3000 Launches Apr 14, 2017, 10:14 HoSpanky

K is a vowel now?

Edit: oh nevermind, the "x" is the k. How very 2001 of them.

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Roadmap
1. Re: Titanfall 2 Roadmap Apr 14, 2017, 10:05 HoSpanky

A co-op mode would go a long way toward getting my friends to pick it up. Dunno, maybe the listed items are what people ask for the most on forums.  

News Comments > Battlezone VR Beta
1. Re: Battlezone VR Beta Apr 10, 2017, 11:07 HoSpanky

Awesome! When VR batman was announced for PC, all I wondered was if Battlezone was gonna come over as well. Hopefully they'll follow Valkyrie's lead and do cross platform multiplayer.  

News Comments > Minecraft Adding Real-Money Marketplace
1. Re: Minecraft Adding Real-Money Marketplace Apr 10, 2017, 10:24 HoSpanky

Holy shit talk about minimum effort, Minecraft is an altar to hideous graphics, and now kiddos are gonna pay more money for shitty looking stuff.  

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Apr 8, 2017, 13:44 HoSpanky

LIMBO is great, it's "sequel" (similar gamestyle, unrelated story) INSIDE is incredible. With no text or spoken words, both games leave the actual "what in the hell did I just play through?" up to you.

Also Steam has a huge VR sale going on, although most of the games in it are trash.

News Comments > Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition Launch Plans
2. Re: Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition Launch Plans Apr 6, 2017, 17:27 HoSpanky

If this was a $20 release, I might have bought it. My copy of the original game is tied to the stardock launcher.

This game is completely bonkers, I'd gladly play through it again, if only for the remote controlled Godzilla. Just...not for $50.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham VR PC This Month
9. Re: Batman: Arkham VR PC This Month Apr 3, 2017, 17:37 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Apr 3, 2017, 16:23:
I fully admit I'd love to be able to travel around a fully realized virtual Gotham.

Fully realized ANYTHING is pretty neat in VR. It can make "walking simulators" like Dear Esther into something very engaging.

I hit a pretty hard wall when trying my hand at VR development. There are tools that make it VERY easy to get an environment up and running, and tracking the handsets, but the rest...oh god. I've not written any code for like 15 years, and it's overwhelming. I can figure out modeling, and loading my models into the engine (I tried Unity), but even with tutorials, I can't get past that at all. I'm not going for complex; my first goal was to make a room and be able to teleport or hoverboard around it. Nooooope.

Maybe I'll try again next year. Tools will be even more robust, and I won't have wedding planning eating into most of my free time.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2017, 16:18 HoSpanky

It's opening day for the Cinci Reds, too, apparently. Skyline chili is giving out a free cheese coney with a drink purchase today because of it.  

News Comments > Batman: Arkham VR PC This Month
5. Re: Batman: Arkham VR PC This Month Apr 3, 2017, 13:43 HoSpanky

El Pit wrote on Apr 3, 2017, 12:45:
Because of the impressive VR boom, this will sell like... Dozens. No, no, hundreds! HUNDREDS! I tell you!!!

Oh yes, I'm sure a new game console could survive if no one released any games for it out of saying there aren't many people with it. Chicken/egg problem.

As for this game in particular, it's supposedly quite good but very short with zero replay value. It seems to be a common theme, and I don't understand why no one's followed Vanishing Realms. That game proved that you could easily get away with GameCube artwork if the game is fun enough, and it's made by ONE GUY.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
5. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 3, 2017, 13:37 HoSpanky

Creston wrote on Apr 3, 2017, 12:12:
I thought he was never going to talk to the media again?

Mmhm. Just like when you go get completely trashed and the next day say you're NEVER GOING OUT DRINKING AGAIN.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 3, 2017, 13:32 HoSpanky

You mean they don't think they need a massive PR disaster in the form of a massively overpromised game? You don't say.  

News Comments > April Foolin' 2017
15. Re: April Foolin' 2017 Apr 1, 2017, 23:27 HoSpanky

Adult Swim decided to spend the evening with the Rick and Morty season 3 premiere on loop.  

News Comments > April Foolin' 2017
9. Re: April Foolin' 2017 Apr 1, 2017, 16:36 HoSpanky

I would totally buy that FE thumb drive from Nvidia. It looks so damn nice.

Ms PAC MAN isn't fake, it totally works! Works best with actual neighborhoods, not so well on highways.

Will need to locate this year's ridiculous WoW patch notes. Always fun.

News Comments > VR Downward Spiral: Prologue
3. Re: VR Downward Spiral: Prologue Mar 31, 2017, 15:17 HoSpanky

Yeah, apparently it's 15 minutes long. This crap doesn't really deserve a "release notice", as it's clearly a tech demo, like so so many VR titles on Steam. The best two VR titles on steam still are free: The Lab and RecRoom. Hell, RecRoom is a fan-fucking-tastic multiplayer setting. Paintball is, by far, the best thing in it, although disc golf is surprisingly fun.

Also cloudlands mini golf, as the seamless multiplayer and shockingly awesome level editor make it worth buying.

Sadly, these three games just don't justify purchasing a VR headset.

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Free Weekend
3. Re: Titanfall 2 Free Weekend Mar 31, 2017, 10:27 HoSpanky

At $30, it's a great campaign to play through. It's not terribly long, but holy CRAP it's packed end to end with big, fun set pieces. It's pretty close to Bulletstorm's wild variety.  

News Comments > HTC Adding Eye Tracking VIVE Ads
1. Re: HTC Adding Eye Tracking VIVE Ads Mar 31, 2017, 10:22 HoSpanky

This isn't eye tracking, it's head tracking. The Vive has no capacity to track focus. With the huge benefits it offers, the NEXT Vive likely will, and along with foveated rendering, to allow for some rather huge performance gains. Possibly large enough gains to offset an increase in resolution.  

1471 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo