Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shane

Real Name Shane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Enahs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description gmail.com @ shanezsullivan
"You better take some vitamins and try harder."
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 13, 2002, 15:25
Total Comments 7877 (Guru)
User ID 15513

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2016, 22:43 Enahs

Cutter wrote on Jul 13, 2016, 14:21:
Man, it's one hot mother today. 32C atm where I am, basically 40 with the humidex. Now I know how Brian's gay cousin Jasper feels.

You are complaining about 32C? Man up, man. That is not really all that hot. When it gets over 37C and your body is actually cooling down the environment, only then are you allowed to complain.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: I got your truth Jul 13, 2016, 22:39 Enahs

The video is right in one aspect, that charcoal can burn hotter. But the difference in taste from charcoal to gas is more generally affected by two other things. One, charcoal grills when done right will put off more direct infrared radiation, changing the cooking profile. But most importantly, combustion of charcoal does not produce water vapor, where as combustion of gas does. Water vapor impedes the infusion of smoke into the meat. So those delicious smoke flavors from small flareups they are referring to, less of that goes into the meat (for gas). Slow long smoking (aka BBQ) overcomes this limitation with time, fyi. Sincerely, a PhD Chemist.  

- W. C. Fields

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2016, 14:12 Enahs

Who actually has to pronounce it that much that it matters? I mean, unless you are not making internet videos, when do you actually say it?

- W. C. Fields

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 15, 2016, 19:11 Enahs

jimnms wrote on Jun 15, 2016, 17:55:
Enahs wrote on Jun 15, 2016, 16:44:
jimnms, then you might check out Ikea.

I saw this one at Ikea while browsing the other day. That's about the size of the longer end of my current L desk and looks simple enough for me. I wish there was an Ikea close to me so I could check one out and see how sturdy it is.

If you go making your own L, I would go with something more like these designs:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/workspaces/11844/
Which for those you then get separately the legs, and put one on all 4 corners. If you go with the design you linked, where the two desks join you will have the leg support in the way of your knees and easy transitioning from one side to the other. Where as if you went with the 4 corner legs, and left the one off after joining he two tables, it would not be a problem and plenty of knee/leg space.

- W. C. Fields

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 15, 2016, 16:44 Enahs

jimnms, then you might check out Ikea. You can get simple clean table tops and legs fairly cheap. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/workspaces/10712/
Of different designs and such. You would just not put a leg at the corner of the inside L table. And attach them together from underneath so the table with the missing leg is supported by the other table. They also have fairly cheap and decent under the table cable organizer attachments and such. So you could easily build a large L shaped table, with basic cable management for much less than $100. Or you can go with some of the more cooler and fancier table tops, but those start getting a little more expensive.

- W. C. Fields

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 14, 2016, 18:38 Enahs

jimnms, are you thinking something modern and sleek, and literally just desk space. Or are you wanting something that has drawers and all kinds of other cabinetry?  

- W. C. Fields

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 14, 2016, 17:08 Enahs

It is not really all that massive. Nor is it impressive in other ways. It is fairly simple and straightforward. *shrugs*

- W. C. Fields

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 12, 2016, 13:41 Enahs

I would say Microsoft did. ~5 years before Apple. I had a touch screen smart phone that was GPS enabled, could send email and surf the internet, and install applications and games, connect to wifi; long before the iPhone. So did many people and businesses. Apple made it stylish and more user friendly and marketed it to the general public.

- W. C. Fields

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 9, 2016, 17:41 Enahs

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jun 9, 2016, 16:58:
I'm not sure what to make of

I'm done with SLI, too many of the game I play don't optimize for it. It became a chore to use to the point that I pulled one of my GTX780s and it's been sitting on my shelf ever since (2 years now).

Can I have your unused 780 for free?!

- W. C. Fields

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2016, 15:33 Enahs

It is funny and odd, that I have had the same general symptoms as Blue has expressed, starting at the exact same time; and the same apparent getting better and then worse again.

Mine I blame on an airplane trip a few days before.

- W. C. Fields

26. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2016, 23:31 Enahs

Sepharo wrote on May 19, 2016, 22:34:
I said drug testing office workers is insulting. I don't care what the test is for. My employer doesn't need access to my bodily fluids to determine if I'm good enough to work for them.

Should they also test my blood sugar? What if I'm diabetic?
How many hours of sleep do I get a night?
Maybe I have sleep apnea... A dead employee is also a bad prospect.

Sorry, before you work here we're going to require you to sleep over night at this testing center. We're going to hook up all of these wires to you because sleep deprivation has been shown to effect performance on nearly an equal level with some drugs.

While I am not pro drug testing or defending it in any way. Your argument is just plain wrong and silly. Drugs are a choice. Yes in some cases a convoluted choice with lots of outside driving factors, etc etc etc. But you can not chose to stop being diabetic or have sleep apena. Which is why these tests do not actually check (or supposed to) for prescription drugs, as those are medical conditions and you are not supposed to discriminate for medical conditions.

Which also makes the whole drug testing fairly frivolous, as prescription drugs are by far more abused than all the hardcore illegal drugs.

- W. C. Fields

43. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2016, 19:02 Enahs

Another, much cheaper option then a crazy expensive case and cooling; which totally depends on how your office/space is configured. Is to just spend ~$30 at amazon from some acoustic sound dampening foam tiles and put it around computer case where major noise is coming from. Obviously not directly up against it blocking fans, but the surrounding area and such.

Totally dependent on your setup, and if it can be made it look nice. But works quite well.

- W. C. Fields

12. Re: Blu-ray suggestions? May 9, 2016, 14:54 Enahs

If your back pain is not from an injury or over excursion, then it is actually probably cause by tight hips and psoas, or weak glutes. Very common. Give this video a watch and check out some psoas and hip mobility drills, and if your gluts are weak do some squats and strengthen things up (body weight squats are fine).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g70Jq2NjQwY

- W. C. Fields

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 25, 2016, 15:16 Enahs

CrimsonPaw wrote on Apr 25, 2016, 13:11:
Not sure what the answer is, but I wonder if there was a software way to kick off a GPS beacon if the user hits 9-1-1-send. There's no guarantee that you can get a GPS location data, but possibly tower triangulation? I'm out of my league here, but it's something that needs consideration.

That would be trivial to do, yes.

I just have to wonder, who does not know where they are?
I understand say driving down a highway or long stretch of road and can not give exact position for example, but you should at least know you are on X road and you were heading from Y to Z and approx time in route is enough to narrow it down as far as you need; as the emergency crew will have to drive the road anyway...

- W. C. Fields

4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2016, 12:53 Enahs

Do not use the electric hedge trimmer to much Blue!

If you look around carefully at most other hedges now, they are very unhealthy and crappy, and require replacing ever so often. The problem with electric hedge trimmers is that they just cut everything off at the same place. All this does it promote growth at the cuts, and after a couple of seasons you have one of those hedges that the outside is full of small new growth but completely blocking the light from getting into the interior, and so the plant starts suffering and dies. But before that you wind up for a few years having one of those nothing but stick hedges and little bits of green on the top.

It is a cheap and quick method people use, "pro" landscapers love it, because it gives quick results fast. And then in a few years you pay them even more to put in new one. Real pros avoid them, or use them sparingly.

You want to cut entire sections off, down to the ground line, and smaller sections, to get the shape you want. And you want to open up the hedge to allow light to get to the inside and bulk of the plant.

- W. C. Fields

30. Re: Way to go California. Mar 29, 2016, 13:37 Enahs

Beamer wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 13:13:

That $850MM is the equivalent of 27,500 minimum wage jobs at $15/hr. If you split it that way, you'd probably have $700MM in the economy. Businesses would thrive.

Not quite. It is about half that. The average overhead for an employee is ~ 100%. I.E, if I pay you $10,000 a year, with all other expenses considered, you cost me 20K a year.

I would say we would be better off figuring out how to better manage and reduce overhead. I sure would love to get pain 50% more without actually costing my employer anything.

- W. C. Fields

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2016, 11:28 Enahs

Yo! I am here for shameless self promotion and such.

My GF is trying to do a GoFundMe thing to raise money for Vet bills for a horse. Freakin' expensive. But she is also to embarrassed to advertise it to her friends, for them to advertise it, etc. So I figured I would h arras you guys!

More info here:
https://www.gofundme.com/charlotteisgreat

And despite not posting regularly for years (work blocks gaming websites now! ugh!), I still have more posts than most people!! Except NIN of course..... And yes, I still visit everyday which is why I have no shame in self advertisement here! Share it with everyone you know, or if you happen to be in a good place in your life and can help out because you love horses or are just really nice, go for it.

- W. C. Fields

News Comments > No Man's Sky in June
23. Re: No Man's Sky in June Oct 27, 2015, 18:36 Enahs

With regard to content, or lack of.

They have demonstrated basic weapons and destruction over a year ago.

So really, having that rudimentary mechanic with the vast exploration; it is like a newage Pokemon. You collect as much as you can.

You can also shoot things and goof around.

It is like combining the collecting side of Pokemon, the open world playfulness of Garys Mod, space flight and weapons mechanics of Elite, and throw in some of the free formness of Minecraft.

I mean, those are all very successful 'games'. I personally do not get the appeal of say Minecraft myself, but millions of people love it.

So yes, there is a lot of content, and also a lot of none content.
Maybe people will find it fun and put hours and hours into it, maybe not.

Really though, they can guarantee it a success if they could add a mod support type thing, where people can create their own worlds and script mall events, so people can build short stories and 'levels' ala Mincecraft. The kids these days seem to love that.

- W. C. Fields

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 26, 2015, 19:16 Enahs

‘Steve Jobs’ Bombs at Box Office- What Went Wrong. We all know how it turns out?

Or, ya know. There was one just two years ago...!

- W. C. Fields

36. Re: No Windows 10 for me Oct 13, 2015, 18:19 Enahs

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 17:56:
When I make a blanket statement about Windows 10 being beta or if W10 has any advantages over W7 I should probably preface it with the following; I build, fix and troubleshoot pc's for a living.

In my book there are many reasons not to downgrade my pc's to Windows 10:
Here are just a few; Edge Browser, Windows as a service ie. beta ( new builds continually coming down the pipeline ) , advertisments are coming to your start menu, you rent solitaire, unknown privacy issues and I have lost count on the number of W8/W10 systems I have fixed because the fastboot hybrid hibernation file corrupted....
There are many more reasons not to upgrade, if you want to expend a little effort and search for them.
Here's a link to get started http://www.infoworld.com/author/Woody-Leonhard/

For the majority of people including my customers, W7 is fine.
The subsystems and kernals of W7 are plain just good enough for me.

I got to chime in here and be honest, your reasons for not liking it are pretty silly in my opinion.

Don't like Edge? Do not use it. You still have FireFox and Chrome. You are not really using IE previous versions of Windows, are you?
You rent solitaire? Do not 'buy' the new solitaire then! The old solitaire can still be transferred over and run just fine, if you really want it....
Continuously making upgrades and improvements....is a complaint? Yeah, if things start coming that screws stuff up, complain. Please! But, complaining that instead of waiting 2 years to fix something, they are fixing things asap. Wha?
As people have previously said, the privacy issues are over blown. Yes, maybe originally they were hard to turn off, but that has been improved. But if you want all the crazy personalized assistance stuff everybody is craving, well, the system has to learn things about you. You can just turn it all off and not get the benefits.

It has not been perfect, it has had plenty of problems. But, there is not a single operating system on any computer that has not had problems. This was quite smooth, given Microsofts history.

Typed up on a non Windows 10 system, because I am not blindly following Microsoft or rebelling against Microsoft either.

- W. C. Fields

7877 Comments. 394 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo