Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kristopher Gates

Real Name Kristopher Gates   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Nut
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 9, 2002, 12:05
Total Comments 61 (Suspect)
User ID 15470

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > Life is Strange 2 Tie-in Demo
4. Re: Life is Strange 2 Tie-in Demo Jun 26, 2018, 19:06 Nut

Denuvo in a free game?

My understanding is that this is to prevent the outside chance of a potential future reverse-engineering of the title as a loader for Life is Strange 2.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > KryptCrawler on Steam
4. Re: Twitch Prime June Freebies Jun 7, 2018, 16:06 Nut

Youtube makes everything around 40% darker than it appears in reality... thank compression

I've never actually studied video formats or codecs, so I'm sure there's a good reason for this, but why?

Why would compression choose to lose detail in the dark areas specifically when luminosity can be adjusted (for example, brightening the image by 40% before the compression stage)?

News Comments > Twitch Prime June Freebies
2. Re: Twitch Prime June Freebies Jun 3, 2018, 15:05 Nut

Blue's News (and its readers) has historical ties with Quake.

Quake fans should not miss Strafe, including those who played it on release. It's much improved and it's a great roguelike with Quake-style (albeit faster paced) FPS gameplay.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2018, 11:23 Nut

japscat

Scatnadian.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2018, 10:50 Nut

Actually, going full poop-flinging chimpanzee at a Tim Horton's is the final form of Canadian.  

News Comments > Five Free Games with Twitch Prime
7. Re: Five Free Games with Twitch Prime Apr 2, 2018, 13:07 Nut

If you have to pay for something to get something else, it ain't free.

I feel you, brother. It's a subscription benefit. But the rest of the world, marketers and otherwise, will continue to abuse the word.

News Comments > Myst Series Coming to Windows 10
5. Re: Myst Series Coming to Windows 10 Mar 17, 2018, 20:17 Nut

I can't be cynical about Myst. It was obtuse and weird, but special.

Riven was a bitch.

I am interested to see if these are simply technological remasterings. Myst and Riven (even RealMyst) would look too primitive for 2018 standards.

The fact that this announcement says only "updated (for Windows 10)" and not something more emphatic like "remastered" makes me think it'll just be the original art assets. Even upscaled, it will be very early 90s.

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce Partner Program Illegal?
3. Re: NVIDIA GeForce Partner Program Illegal? Mar 10, 2018, 12:20 Nut

this is typical kyle.

Sorry to start my argument by forcing on yours, but instead of attacking the author, why not take advantage of his emphasizing a particular quoted point, and attack his point instead?

In order to have access to the GPP program, its partners must have its "Gaming Brand Aligned Exclusively With GeForce." I have read documents with this requirement spelled out on it.

Assuming he's not lying, isn't that a self-evidently anticompetitive agreement?

News Comments > White House Games Meeting Thursday
7. Re: White House Games Meeting Thursday Mar 6, 2018, 11:31 Nut

Causes of Gun Violence:

You forgot testosterone.

We should consider arming the teachers and castrating the students.

News Comments > David Gaider Leaves Beamdog
2. Re: David Gaider Leaves Beamdog Feb 9, 2018, 22:05 Nut

Not the most meaningful observation, but that might be the sweetest departure letter I've ever read.  

News Comments > John Cena to Star in Duke Nukem Movie?
8. Re: John Cena to Star in Duke Nukem Movie? Jan 23, 2018, 11:41 Nut

Even though I believe a Duke Nukem movie would probably be terrible, John Cena is perfect casting.

He has really good comedic timing to go along with the physicality.

The "right level" of over the top for Duke is so subjective, though. This movie could be bad, bad, bad unless they get everything calibrated and consistent and just so.

Maybe get Guillermo del Toro to direct.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. Re: We Happy Few Delay; Refunds Jan 21, 2018, 12:00 Nut

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 20, 2018, 23:57:
Simon Says wrote on Jan 20, 2018, 16:57:
That's what happens when you break a cardinal rule of tech:

IF ITS NOT BROKEN, DON'T FIX IT

A cardinal rule that I don't understand how it fits.

Maybe he's somehow using it to justify the interesting psychology of the bystander effect as it applies to a VR space.

News Comments > We Happy Few Delay; Refunds
5. Re: We Happy Few Delay; Refunds Jan 19, 2018, 21:02 Nut

> 1) Enabling refunds ...

Does the Steam refund system work by letting the developers authoritatively choose whether to approve or refuse refunds (perhaps either automatically or case-by-case) after the 2 hour / 14 day minimum requirements?

News Comments > Quantic Dream Denies Workplace Issues
1. Re: Quantic Dream Denies Workplace Issues Jan 15, 2018, 14:19 Nut

> a cache of over 600 Photoshopped images of employees in compromising situations

So, uh.

Honestly I was going to ignore this story except for this kind of interesting part.

If these photos EVEN EXIST, and WE HAVE THEM, isn't that categorically proof that an environment of photoshopping employees in compromising situations exists?

Following that, how can they categorically deny the existence of the environment in which those images were created?

Short of them saying that someone outside the company did so, which is farcical, they aren't even saying "this was an isolated individual"... which would not be categorically denying the problem but actually communicating with the public about the problem...

Is there some legal reason that they have to deny reality? This seems comical to me but kind of interesting just based on, you know, IGNORING FREELY AVAILABLE PROOF OF EXISTENCE. That little logical flaw in their denial.

News Comments > Obsidian Denounces Loot Boxes and Microtransactions
9. Re: Obsidian Denounces Loot Boxes and Microtransactions Dec 16, 2017, 13:45 Nut

> Look at how quake 3 is a fucking microtransaction ridden f2p game that you don't own or control and they are selling fucking unlocks in a game you don't own nor control.

This is pretty much an excellent comparison. Quake, Quake Live and Quake Champions (not Quake 3, obviously) are poignant to compare and contrast, especially since the original Quake was purely content and had meaty expansions, and was not only moddable but so innovatively and openly moddable that it was largely responsible for inspiring a whole generation of 3D games and game developers.

TL;DR: It's really sad to see games change from being products to services, and it comes at a huge cost.

News Comments > Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy
1. Re: Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy Dec 7, 2017, 11:57 Nut

Getting Over It is sadism gamified.

Like QWOP and GIRP, it's beautiful, and it's art.

Stay far away.

News Comments > PAYDAY 2 VR Beta
1. Re: PAYDAY 2 VR Beta Nov 17, 2017, 21:01 Nut

This title is actually quite excellent.

Does it feel like a proper VR native game (or at least detail-oriented port)? No. It's got major issues.

But the base gameplay is absolutely fun as heck, and some of the VR-specific moments (such as making effective use of corners and cover, or aiming a gun independently of reviving a teammate with the other hand) are absolute treasures to experience.

News Comments > Battle.net Mobile App
1. Re: Battle.net Mobile App Sep 27, 2017, 11:36 Nut

Does this app integrate the Battle.net mobile authenticator?  

News Comments > Warcraft III and Diablo II Remaster Plans?
7. Re: Warcraft III and Diablo II Remaster Plans? Jun 16, 2017, 12:34 Nut

Remaster Warcraft 3? That engine still looks very good, and it plays well.

Plays well? Sure.

Looks good? Only with a certain nostalgic acceptance of the standard of the day.

To a contemporary, or new, or young gamer, no. It looks like very primitive 3D to 2017 standards. There's at least remodelling, rendering and special effects work to be done, as well as integration into the modern form of Battle.net, etc.

News Comments > Writer Jay Pinkerton Leaves Valve
6. Re: Writer Jay Pinkerton Leaves Valve Jun 7, 2017, 11:05 Nut

Valve is an R&D company at least as much as they are a game (and distribution platform) development studio.  

61 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo