Descending
Limit Results:

264 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 5.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ] Older

Re: Half-Life 2 Wins First Battle
Jul 24, 2003, 05:03
Re: Half-Life 2 Wins First Battle Jul 24, 2003, 05:03
Jul 24, 2003, 05:03

I for one think id isn't loosing too much sleep over HL2. Remember that we are on the verge of new engine technologies here, and there is more at stake here then there was during the relatively petty and shortsighted bickerings of the past (Remember MoHAA vs. RTCW?)

Even if DOOM 3's gameplay and replayability turns out to be Teh Suck and only a handful of fanatics buy it, as a mere tech demo it will still blow away 3rd-party devs looking for graphical superiority in their titles. Thus more millions in licensing fees to fuel Carmack's rocket engines, and id moves on.

I honestly don't see it as some sort of Duel of the Engine Titans. As it has been since Unreal I, it's all about choice.

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 05:10.
"Nothing livens up a robotic hymn of doom more than an amazing pair of jugs." - Brak

Re: No subject
Jul 24, 2003, 00:36
Re: No subject Jul 24, 2003, 00:36
Jul 24, 2003, 00:36

Sure, some HL mods will port - but let's home some nice new ones come about as well.

By implications I meant new versions of old mods. The most popular mods for HL already have enough weight in the community to surpass the game they were based on. Valve has a mod franchise in their hands.

Yes a good number of content will probably have to be rewritten to take advantage of new tech, but no doubt the core gameplay elements that distinguish the most popular of mods will be preserved.
"Nothing livens up a robotic hymn of doom more than an amazing pair of jugs." - Brak

Re: can't remove patch
Jul 24, 2003, 00:08
Re: can't remove patch Jul 24, 2003, 00:08
Jul 24, 2003, 00:08

There was a program that allowed you to remove DirectX 8.1. This was handy for the leaked Beta version that had a time limit on it.

No subject
Jul 23, 2003, 00:33
No subject Jul 23, 2003, 00:33
Jul 23, 2003, 00:33

Valve plans to re-release every popular mod currently using the Half-Life engine and will see that modders have a full toolkit for converting their mods from HL to HL2.

The implications of this statement are truly staggering IMO (Think Counter-Strike.) If they pull this off Valve can totally own purely from the longevity and popularity HL2 will achieve in the gaming community.

Having said that, I'm still certain that plenty of top commercial outfits will pick up the DOOM engine. Especially those who already have a relationship with id and are planning on making sequels to well-established Q3 titles. What THEY are able to do with the D3 engine, well I dunno, the possibilities are mind-boggling (A MoH game in the D3 engine anyone?)

I really was expecting D3 somewhere around the 10th anniversary of the Original though. Oh well no big deal.

Re: so...
Jul 23, 2003, 00:04
Re: so... Jul 23, 2003, 00:04
Jul 23, 2003, 00:04

you happen to know that the gf1 was the generation after tnt2?

Yes, I know the progression of NVIDIA's lineup. I was only referring to what is currently available. I don't see any GF1's at all in any stores over here.

The only major featureset improvement since the GF1 has been the GF3's pixel and vertex shaders. It's quite dissapointing to notice how sparingly this feature has been used so far.

Re: Pricey GFX Cards
Jul 21, 2003, 23:28
Re: Pricey GFX Cards Jul 21, 2003, 23:28
Jul 21, 2003, 23:28

3DLabs Wildcat VP990 Pro 512MB AGP 8x w/Triple Head Display - $1499.95

OMG! That's insane. You could buy a pretty decent whole computer for that kind of cash. And that's not even considering the 3 21-inch monitors you'll want to hook up to that beast.

Good thing there are plenty of choices at the lower end of the spectrum nowadays.

Re: Good ol' IGN
Jul 21, 2003, 01:37
Re: Good ol' IGN Jul 21, 2003, 01:37
Jul 21, 2003, 01:37

I don't understand why the writer had to repeatedly reference other FPS titles for comparison to CoD. Does he expect the every IGN reader to be a well-read gamer (Like you and me)?

I dunno, it just got annoying.

Re: hmmmm
Jul 21, 2003, 01:31
Re: hmmmm Jul 21, 2003, 01:31
Jul 21, 2003, 01:31

Stop talking out of your arse and just admit you couldn’t be bothered.

Regardless of how you feel about Halo PC, Randy Pitchford is indeed an ass during interviews. Just like any 'good' politician, he has an uncanny ability to spin Negatives into Positives.

Re: Milked for money
Jul 21, 2003, 01:12
Re: Milked for money Jul 21, 2003, 01:12
Jul 21, 2003, 01:12

if your games have to start using system ram instead of VRAM

And that's not even going into fillrate and features.

A Top of the Line card is unnecessary for most people, but a High End card (Mid-Level GF FX or ATI 9xxx) will have clear advantages.

It's only just begun....
Jul 21, 2003, 01:05
It's only just begun.... Jul 21, 2003, 01:05
Jul 21, 2003, 01:05

I think the true rivalry between the now 3 major game engines will occur once 3rd-party developers start licensing these engines for their own games.

For many years now it's been either the more traditional Quake or the cross-genre-friendly Unreal. With the Source engine's new direction towards "reactive" and "emotional" gameplay, I think we will increasingly see FPS games being described as belonging to an additional 3rd side. Counter Strike 2 (Just at the top of my head, sorry.) may have perfect ballistic engine physics and destructable environments, but it may not match Quake 4's real-time photorealistic graphics. Neither of these will have the emergent RPG storyline of Deux Ex 3.

Then again, considering the number of successful games in the recent past (Mafia) and potential future (STALKER) that have used or will use their own engines, any rivalry between the 3 could be deemed insignificant. The Source engine may also have some as of yet undisclosed RPG capability, making it compete more directly with Unreal.

Jul 18, 2003, 17:30
Re: so... Jul 18, 2003, 17:30
Jul 18, 2003, 17:30

Ummm didn't the GF1 replace the TNT2?

Yeah it did, but I still see TNT2s being sold. I don't think I've ever seen a GF1 though.

My statement has usually been true for Id's engines, it definitely was since Quake 2 and beyond.

Back then, you could run a Q2 game at max graphical quality on a Voodoo 1 and it wouldn't look much worse than on a V2 SLI or even a TNT.

Q3 on the other hand has some great graphical potential with it's shader and LOD tech that to this day remains untapped for some reason. My best guess is that it's a performance or compatibility issue.

Jul 18, 2003, 04:13
Re: No subject Jul 18, 2003, 04:13
Jul 18, 2003, 04:13

I remeber immersing myself into the worlds or DOOM...

Don't knock DOOM's graphics either. For it's time it was absolutely mind-blowing. The combination of texture mapped 3D environments, intricately hand drawn 2D sprites, and the moody 256 color pallete was something no one else could pull off for quite some time.

It's been a long while, but I think we're on the verge of another revolution on that scale.

Back on topic, I'd play TRON 2.0 for the visual style ALONE.

Re: I think
Jul 18, 2003, 04:04
Re: I think Jul 18, 2003, 04:04
Jul 18, 2003, 04:04

Obviously, the more power you throw at this engine, the better it looks

It's not always that obvious graphically. I've played plenty of games on the latest engines that looked only marginally better with everything set to maximum.

But then again perhaps this is merely a content issue.

From what I've read id have included enough polys into their D3 models to overburden the fastest of CPUs. I haven't though read much about how texture detail and lighting will scale depending on your video card. Will D3 off a GF FX really LOOK significantly better than D3 off a GF3 or GF4?

Perhaps we will have to wait for other devs to really push the new DOOM engine's capabilities.

Jul 17, 2003, 23:43
Re: so... Jul 17, 2003, 23:43
Jul 17, 2003, 23:43

a little shocked to hear a GF1 could do...lol

Do they even sell those relics? Over here for a couple of years now it's been either a TNT2 or a GF2 MX for the low end.

Anyway, for those with high-end machines I'm hoping that D3 will redefine the term scalable in terms of graphical detail. Most cards today can easily handle large textures of microscopic detail thanks to compression and fillrate hasn't really been much of an issue until very recently with the advent of games that use a ton of texture passes. The polycounts for most games are also usually also set around a predefined level, so beyond a certain point the only thing a faster CPU will get you is a better framerate.

Will the new DOOM engine with it's fancy tech break the mold and actually look proportionally better on faster systems?

Re: Great...
Jul 16, 2003, 23:49
Re: Great... Jul 16, 2003, 23:49
Jul 16, 2003, 23:49

It is one of the first FPS where you get prolonged shootouts instead of mindlessly wading through enemies as uber-soldier.

You hit the nail right in the head there MrShoop. This is ultimately what VietCong's gameplay is all about and should be it's major (And probably only) contribution to the FPS genre. VietCong has innovated by providing the kind of realism that complements action instead of detracting from it, the latter having been the common philosophy since the proliferation of Tactical FPS games (Realism versus Fun.)

To use a more familiar analogy which I've stated before, you really feel like an action hero in a Vietnam war movie. Firefights with your squad usually involve everyone taking potshots at each other from behind cover for what seems like minutes until eventually the good guys win.

Action Hero...
Jul 16, 2003, 00:08
Action Hero... Jul 16, 2003, 00:08
Jul 16, 2003, 00:08

This might seem unusual, but playing Vietcong gave me the best action hero experience since Hitman 2 (Doesn't beat Max Payne of course.) By action hero I mean not just the wanton destruction, but doing it in style.

The firefights in those ancient ruins were most memorable. I ran out of primary ammo near the finale, so leaning out of corners and popping bad guys with a mere pistol simply to scrounge for more ammo became my forte. The thing was, they were doing the same moves, and there was no quicksave.

I just hope to God they get the voice acting for the main character right this time.

Re: Thief 3
Jul 8, 2003, 23:50
Re: Thief 3 Jul 8, 2003, 23:50
Jul 8, 2003, 23:50

I could ramble on about how much I agree with Scud, but I've done that already in previous posts.

Besides, there doesn't seem to be any other good title on the horizon that will offer a good scare factor (Unless you count the console ports I guess.)

Jul 8, 2003, 00:18
Re: No subject Jul 8, 2003, 00:18
Jul 8, 2003, 00:18

I'd rather have the sequel to:

"One Man Saves the World From the Alien Threat"

Re: Sidewinder
Jul 3, 2003, 23:09
Re: Sidewinder Jul 3, 2003, 23:09
Jul 3, 2003, 23:09

Unfortunately it now seems that they'll be making more money off of poor schmoes who only buy things because they know the name brand.

I'd have to agree on the mice part, mainly because over here there are so many Taiwanese brands of equivalent quality that sell for much cheaper.

As for the joystick, mine's not heavy at all. It weighs about the same as my very old but faithful Sidewinder Digital. As for reliability, so far after more than a month of daily IL-2 play I haven't encountered any physical problems. It's not like I had much choice in this matter anyway, the MS sticks here will cost you an arm and a leg.

Re: Sidewinder
Jul 3, 2003, 00:45
Re: Sidewinder Jul 3, 2003, 00:45
Jul 3, 2003, 00:45

They don't sell Saitek here, but I've been having a blast with the Logitech Strike Force 3D. It's not as complex nor as expensive as the X45; more like a direct competitor to the Sidewinder FF2. It's got two hat switches and the buttons on the left side are configured in the same way as a mouse, complete with a wheel.

As for the strenght of the FF, you can always adjust it from Strenght of the Bear to A Wet Noodle.
264 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 5.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ] Older