Descending
Limit Results:

264 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ] Older

Re: No subject
Aug 15, 2003, 00:26
Re: No subject Aug 15, 2003, 00:26
Aug 15, 2003, 00:26

**GTA boringness factor: when a game is fun for the first 2 days of playing it and then it's ready for the recycle bin

I wouldn't describe that factor as being inherently GTA. GTA and VC both lasted quite long for me naturally due to their open-ended play (There just came a time when I felt I had done everything that I wanted to do, so I deleted them.)

I'd say what you have described is actually the defining factor in every game with a linear storyline, Mafia included. Unlike GTA, Mafia actually didn't offer much of anything outside the main storyline.

While you are given the opportunity to roam around Mafia's city (Can't remember the name), there just didn't seem to be any clear incentive to do so. In contrast, not only did Liberty and Vice city offer spectacular rewards of sight and sound (explosions, gore, etc.), it also incorporated a comprehensive rating system.

Of course, going back on topic, with it's myriad of possible player-created situations GTA could never have related a cohesive and properly paced storyline to the player.
"Nothing livens up a robotic hymn of doom more than an amazing pair of jugs." - Brak

Re: Battlefield 1942 & the 45.23 Dets
Aug 14, 2003, 00:21
Re: Battlefield 1942 & the 45.23 Dets Aug 14, 2003, 00:21
Aug 14, 2003, 00:21

The 45 series fixed the suttering problems I had with the 44s in FS2004 under graphically-intensive conditions. No perceptible improvements in my other games though.

I'm wondering what version number we'll be up to by the time DOOM3 comes out.
"Nothing livens up a robotic hymn of doom more than an amazing pair of jugs." - Brak

Re: No subject
Aug 14, 2003, 00:11
Re: No subject Aug 14, 2003, 00:11
Aug 14, 2003, 00:11

FPS and flight games are getting more and more intricate in terms of controls.

Both Forgotten Battles and FS2004 (This version in particular is exceptional in this regard) do offer enough variety in their aircraft selection to cover several older models with simplistic controls.

FB has those rickety 1930s mono and bi planes that are not much more than "Point-and-Shoot" affairs. FS2004 has the "Century of Flight" series, my favorite among them being the Piper Cub whose only essential control is the stick.

I think we got this whole thing covered already.

Re: Far Cry
Aug 6, 2003, 01:01
Re: Far Cry Aug 6, 2003, 01:01
Aug 6, 2003, 01:01

However if you look at the screen shots trees that get beyond a certian point in the distance change into sprites

There also appears to be way too little vegetation on distant terrain. It's like the engine is not only over simplifying but also removing too many objects as they increase in distance from the player.

The water also seems way too calm for the open seas. It's like these islands are merely in the middle of a large lake.

Oh yeah, and the colors are too cartoonish for my taste. In reality the hues of a tropical paradise are deeper and gravitate more towards blues and greens. There's too much brown and yellow.

But whatever, I just have an added tendency to nitpick these things because I actually live on a tropical archipelago. I'm sure it'll be fun otherwise.

Re: Rocketpack
Aug 6, 2003, 00:31
Re: Rocketpack Aug 6, 2003, 00:31
Aug 6, 2003, 00:31

The Nazis did have plenty of elaborate yet overly ambitious designs for their aircraft. Most of them of course never got off the ground or were never produced in large enough quantities to be effective.

http://www.luft46.com/

Secret Weapons of WWII looks like a simple "What-If" scenario IMO.

Re: Geek
Aug 4, 2003, 00:04
Re: Geek Aug 4, 2003, 00:04
Aug 4, 2003, 00:04

22.68245% - Geek

I swear I'd get at least 30% if I had done this test when I was a High School freshman. Lately I've been descending into dorkiness.

My social ineptitude and Star Trek knowledge saved me for now.

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 00:07.

Re: Free Add-on
Aug 1, 2003, 01:51
Re: Free Add-on Aug 1, 2003, 01:51
Aug 1, 2003, 01:51

What SimCity 4 REALLY needs is another patch that takes care of that absurd abandonment.

Yeah. That's one of the primary reasons I stopped playing. It made the entire city seem unresponsive to positive changes. Add to that the myriad of little bugs I discovered and you get a nasty way to fuck up a good franchise.

Considering the limited scope of this expansion, I'd say there's a pretty good chance they'll try to milk this one The Sims-style by releasing more expansions dedicated soley to improving the more mundane aspects of city building. In other words, stuff that we should have had at the start.

Re: Not delayed after all?
Jul 31, 2003, 00:20
Re: Not delayed after all? Jul 31, 2003, 00:20
Jul 31, 2003, 00:20

You might shoot a barrel full of water and then train your gun on an electrical wire so that if someone comes by, you can kill them with a single shot, & watch them fry.

Hmmm, yes that's quite plausible. I just hope the pacing of the game will give you time to do such stunts, and that the levels are designed to allow you to formulate a plan to get through them (No more HL1-style linearity I hope.)

Re: waste of money
Jul 31, 2003, 00:04
Re: waste of money Jul 31, 2003, 00:04
Jul 31, 2003, 00:04

In many cases, you can be making a low pass, scrape your prop on the ground (lawnmowing) prop bends back, and stll be able to make a safe landing.

Yeah. I love those moments, especially on the IL-2, where everything seems to have shot up and you can still manage to get back to base and make a safe crash landing. After bailing out, you pan around your perforated and absurdly maimed aircraft to realize just how lucky you were.

Re: Not delayed after all?
Jul 30, 2003, 23:54
Re: Not delayed after all? Jul 30, 2003, 23:54
Jul 30, 2003, 23:54

how the multiplayer games are crazy and fun with people shooting garbage cans at each other.

I am seriously hoping that The Source's much talked about physics system can do more than just that. Devastation promised the same thing but apparently never properly incorporated it into actual gameplay.

To put it simply, why bother throwing barrels at enemies when you can simply aim a gun and shoot? Is this advanced physical interactivity all just for show?

OK, I'll admit I haven't seen the latest videos.

Re: Great marketing
Jul 30, 2003, 00:04
Re: Great marketing Jul 30, 2003, 00:04
Jul 30, 2003, 00:04

75 posts in the span of 3 hours and 40 minutes.

I'd say that's pretty good marketing.

Re: waste of money
Jul 30, 2003, 00:00
Re: waste of money Jul 30, 2003, 00:00
Jul 30, 2003, 00:00

...and the fact that you can not realistically crash is the one thing that really annoys me.

MS never really applied a lot of thought into that area. Back in FS5.0 the only plane that could crash in a spectacular fashion was the "Default" Cessna 182, the others would simply bury their noses in the ground. FS2K2 added some fire, spark, and smoke effects but I can't remember anytime when the plane would physically break apart piece by piece like that old Cessna did.

In truth, MSFS makes up for this in other areas. It might seem hard to believe, but MSFS is actually as responsive and interactive as any typical game. The difference is in where this interactivity comes from.

With other games you have stuff blowing up by shooting at them, in MSFS you have the aircraft's response to the subtleties of your control inputs. Many games have near-photorealistic but ultimately static environments, MSFS can show weather and time effects in real time. NPC interaction in other games is emotional, in MSFS ATC interaction is procedural but just as deep.

There is a "Game" in MSFS for the typical PC gamer, it just take a little unshackling from the "Blow it Up" purview of most titles of similar magnitude to find it.

Re: Life > Games
Jul 29, 2003, 23:14
Re: Life > Games Jul 29, 2003, 23:14
Jul 29, 2003, 23:14

Heheh, I just upgraded. For Bloodmoon and Flight Simulator. Yay me.

We still have TRON 2.0, Halo PC, and various expansion packs. Personally I'm all set until November.

Re: Burn
Jul 27, 2003, 01:53
Re: Burn Jul 27, 2003, 01:53
Jul 27, 2003, 01:53

With the former chick, it is not only the armor that is shapely.

Re: The scoop from an (ex)CSer
Jul 27, 2003, 01:51
Re: The scoop from an (ex)CSer Jul 27, 2003, 01:51
Jul 27, 2003, 01:51

For the record: "super-anal-realistic simulation" was a thinly-veiled stab at the Clancy franchise; I hated those games.

IMO, the thing that keeps such games from truly being Fun (And not simply "Rewarding" or "Engaging") is that currently the PC can only fullfill a fraction of the total sensory perception available to most human beings. In reality we can notice subtle noises, patterns in movement, and even smells that indicate the presence of another human being for example in the vicinity or somewhere distant. What more a highly skilled and superbly trained counter-terrorist?

While I have no doubt that the creators of the R6 series took this into account, still there are plenty of frustrating situations in their games caused purely by the lack of perception. CS successfully struck a balance in this regard by making the gameplay more forgiving while keeping the look and feel of a realistic shooter.

Re: Feeling old, and im 24
Jul 27, 2003, 01:02
Re: Feeling old, and im 24 Jul 27, 2003, 01:02
Jul 27, 2003, 01:02

At that low a resolution, the 700MHz (or whatever) CPU in the xbox should be able to run it with some of the features turned off.

Exactly, any compromises at that low resolution probably won't be significant. You could reduce polycounts and texture resolution without anyone noticing.

I'm fairly sure it will be ported eventually, if only because the console market is so lucrative.

Re: Getting some...
Jul 27, 2003, 00:55
Re: Getting some... Jul 27, 2003, 00:55
Jul 27, 2003, 00:55

Carmack has probably gotten more than any of you can even dream of

I bet he screams incomprehensible technobabble during every orgasm.

Re: Burn
Jul 26, 2003, 00:40
Re: Burn Jul 26, 2003, 00:40
Jul 26, 2003, 00:40

LOL.

So it this the Leelee Sobieski or the Milla Jovovich version?

Re: Nine Inch Nails ?
Jul 26, 2003, 00:35
Re: Nine Inch Nails ? Jul 26, 2003, 00:35
Jul 26, 2003, 00:35

The music in DOOM 1/2 was my first ever taste of what would be Techno. I can fondly remember turning off all the sfx and simply listening to the tango-style track of the first level of DOOM 2, or tapping my fingers at the song that played as your kills were summarized in bloody red splotches.

Even better though would be if they threw in some of the original music from DOOM 1 (with maybe a remix or two).

But I don't think it's Trent's style though and it wouldn't fit in with the new horror-survival focus. Come to think of it, who is doing the music for D3 now?

Re: yeah, off topic I agree, but...
Jul 25, 2003, 07:42
Re: yeah, off topic I agree, but... Jul 25, 2003, 07:42
Jul 25, 2003, 07:42

Only in this board could a topic be so ridiculously steered off topic.

From my experience (Which includes getting banned twice due to infectious immature behavior) I doubt it.

I joined these boards precisely because everyone is so RELATIVELY well-mannered. Still, in that aspect Blue's won't beat any Non-Combat Flightsim-oriented board any time soon.

This comment was edited on Jul 25, 07:44.
264 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ] Older