Descending
Limit Results:

264 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ] Older

Re: Will Probably Pass On Both
Sep 26, 2003, 00:47
Re: Will Probably Pass On Both Sep 26, 2003, 00:47
Sep 26, 2003, 00:47

...reviews of MoH: Breakthrough and the general consensus seems to be that it's nothing special at all.

Yeah, those reviews really turned me off despite my interest in the historical aspects.

Got 0 Hour instead. So far the USA campaign has been a bit overwhelming (Need to control multiple sections of the map, not all new units properly introduced, etc.) but I have no doubt I'll get the hang of it soon.

I have to say that disregarding gameplay I prefer General's Hollywood-style depiction of "What If?" near-future-world scenarios so much more than WC's "A Cliche Every Minute" fantasy world. Just like the pseudo-tactical FPSs of old, the cheeky nod to realism adds that extra layer of immersion.
"Nothing livens up a robotic hymn of doom more than an amazing pair of jugs." - Brak

Re: Valve is not accountable
Sep 26, 2003, 00:24
Re: Valve is not accountable Sep 26, 2003, 00:24
Sep 26, 2003, 00:24

and while id's games have always been pretty...they've been lacking in gameplay/storyline.

From the recent previews it would seem that id are making profound attempts at changing that perception. Remember that they did hire a writer, ran it through a storyboard, etc.

I still have my doubts, since there have been plenty of recent games that promised a "good story" but ended up with something about as engaging as watching TV commercials (TRON 2.0) Then there are games like Mafia... 'nuff said.

On the other hand, from screenshots alone I have no doubt that DOOM 3 will be able to capture the dark, brooding atmosphere of the originals. Any one who has played them will remember how that simple graphical aspect drew us into the DOOM universe like moths to a candle, and how it etched into our heads those powerful images of torture and dispair.
"Nothing livens up a robotic hymn of doom more than an amazing pair of jugs." - Brak

Re: shacknews
Sep 25, 2003, 15:35
Re: shacknews Sep 25, 2003, 15:35
Sep 25, 2003, 15:35

I dont see why everyone thinks Valve and id are so bothered about how good each others games are.

I certainly don't think that, as one of my previous posts will attest to. I made no reference to the quality of either title, rather I was specifically referring to publicity aspect of this whole incident.

They may not compete directly as games, but as pre-release hype machines the playing field is much more level, boiling down to simply which title gets the most press and consequent forum activity from the community. Looking at all the previews available for each title attests to the fact the even the most anticipated ones still require a good hype machine that will vie for our limited attention spans.

A lot of the posts so far seem to suggest that this somewhat impolite announcement was simply a big screwup, but I just can't help but wonder.

This comment was edited on Sep 26, 00:03.

Sep 24, 2003, 04:19
Re: shacknews Sep 24, 2003, 04:19
Sep 24, 2003, 04:19

they typically get over 3000 comments twice a day in their ER and FP topics.

Most of it inane tripe, but there are always a few gems of good fun in it. Their post count on this topic is around 950 already.

Looks like I'll have time for Homeworld 2 and Halo PC afterall.

BTW check this out:

http://www.planethalflife.com/half-life2/delaymovie/

Sep 24, 2003, 01:49
Re: shacknews Sep 24, 2003, 01:49
Sep 24, 2003, 01:49

The Shacknews forums are always good for a quick laugh now and again. Ironically enough that's how I found out about this.

I supposed Valve just had to drop another bombshell in the wake of all the recent DOOM3 press. When all this is over somebody has to make a documentary about how one puppet was controlled by two puppet masters.

Re: nitpicky, I know ... but ...
Sep 23, 2003, 23:50
Re: nitpicky, I know ... but ... Sep 23, 2003, 23:50
Sep 23, 2003, 23:50

I'm just wondering what they'll be doing to go up against the new competition they've spawned in the likes of Painkiller and Will Rock. Having played through the dramatic and novel setpieces of the 2nd Encounter, I do have faith in them.

Take your time....
Sep 19, 2003, 00:34
Take your time.... Sep 19, 2003, 00:34
Sep 19, 2003, 00:34

Kinda makes our petty grievances look so insignificant doesn't it?

I hope everything turns out ok.

Re: No subject
Sep 17, 2003, 00:04
Re: No subject Sep 17, 2003, 00:04
Sep 17, 2003, 00:04

By all accounts I think you have to be high to really appreciate TRON 2.0. I know I sure wasn't.

NOLF2 owns TRON 2.0 (Reasons already stated in another post.) Still a must-buy for the graphics though.

Is it really that hard?
Sep 16, 2003, 13:05
Is it really that hard? Sep 16, 2003, 13:05
Sep 16, 2003, 13:05

An early review said the difficulty slider might as well have been set to "Really Freaking Hard". That kind of turned me off, since I didn't even bother with the first one and thus have no prior experience in this gameworld.

Re: hmmmm
Sep 15, 2003, 23:14
Re: hmmmm Sep 15, 2003, 23:14

Awesome visuals alone won`t do it.

After playing through a good chunk of TRON 2.0 I understand why it has been getting less than stellar reviews. It's a Graphics-Game pure and simple. There's none of the gameplay diversity they had in the NOLF series (Setpiece battles, mix of RPG and stealth elements, the humor, unique weaponry that's actually usefull, etc.) While I can forgive the storyline for not having much depth, I certainly wish they could have fleshed out the characters more since it seemed a lot of effort was already put into their appearance and physical demeanor.

I honestly enjoyed Elite Force 2 more. The action was intense, the storyline deeper, the settings more diverse, and it had no illusions of being any more than just that. Then again I watched every episode of Voyager so I might be in the minority here :0

No subject
No subject Sep 15, 2003, 23:14

Double post...
This comment was edited on Sep 15, 23:16.

Re: Very good game
Sep 15, 2003, 00:52
Re: Very good game Sep 15, 2003, 00:52
Sep 15, 2003, 00:52

For those of you buying Halo, late-September to October is gonna be a gaming orgy!!!

I can't recall any time in recent memory that had this many anticipated titles released in such a limited timeframe. Last year was close though with NOLF2, Hitman2, and Mafia.

And yes I have played bits and pieces of Halo on the X-Box. There's absolutely nothing revolutionary in it, but the intrinsic visceral feel of combat is so refined in Halo that you couldn't care less.

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 00:56.

Re: Zero Hour.
Sep 15, 2003, 00:41
Re: Zero Hour. Sep 15, 2003, 00:41
Sep 15, 2003, 00:41

...who's emphatically casual when it comes to RTS games; I just like to see shit blow up, and Generals did that very well.

Same here. I always get discouraged by the hardcore attitude that permeates every Blizzard title. For me, beneath it's colorful fascade is just the drudgery of playing with numbers and the shallow drive for speed.

Re: 9800 pro baby
Sep 11, 2003, 00:38
Re: 9800 pro baby Sep 11, 2003, 00:38
Sep 11, 2003, 00:38

Yeah it's messed up on my end too. Perhaps this is Blues' version of "Breaking News".

Oh my, the fanbois will be coming out in droves soon. I'll be watching the battle from the sidelines patting my trusty GF3Ti500's aging back.

Re: wtf
Sep 10, 2003, 00:46
Re: wtf Sep 10, 2003, 00:46
Sep 10, 2003, 00:46

The number menu system was a little cumbersome on the PC version.

A little? Having played Raven Shield and SWAT 3, I can safely say OPF's menu system is utter crap, relatively speaking. The one good thing that should come out of this whole situation is a simplified, responsive, and intuitive control system.

I most certainly enjoyed most of all the other aspects though. Resistance even had an engaging storyline and strong characterizations (For a game that is.)

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 00:52.

Re: Hey look
Sep 8, 2003, 23:11
Re: Hey look Sep 8, 2003, 23:11
Sep 8, 2003, 23:11

Anyways, I wonder just how long (gameplay wise) this expansion will be, considering the previous one was a good three hours if you took it easy and did a lot of sightseeing.

I must have spent 6 hours spread over 3 days on it on Hard, due to all the QuickLoading. Still very short.

I have to agree though that assuming the devs really have limited resources, this "shorter but denser" approach works well for expansion packs. Granted, Spearhead took that to the extreme, but I would rather have it's fast-paced no-letup gameplay than a drawn out, lethargic experience with few points of interest to essentially wake me up (Q2MP2 by Rogue did this to me.)

From what I've read, Breakthrough is striving for some sort of middle-ground. The concept of participating in a "Forgotten Battle" also appeals to me in the same manner IL-2 : FB did. The only way this game could possibly dissapoint me is if I end up playing Half-Life 2 first

Re: Leather-clad mouse
Sep 8, 2003, 00:39
Re: Leather-clad mouse Sep 8, 2003, 00:39
Sep 8, 2003, 00:39

I've had a patchy relationship with A4Tech mice.

My first modern one had 3 buttons and the 2 wheels in a diagonal arrangement, with the top wheel acting as a middle button. After setting it up at home, I soon found out that this arrangement made the middle button very difficult to press. It was simply too far up to be of any use and couldn't make up for the added convenience of a second wheel.

So I switched to another A4Tech with the normal single wheel arrangement, but with "800 DPI precision". After a few weeks of very comfortable and precise use I started getting tracking errors on the vertical axis. The mouse cursor would jitter up and down slightly even when it wasn't moving.

So far, I haven't encourtered any major difficulties with my new A4Tech 800 DPI optical mouse. The tracking is pinpoint accurate and it even looks somewhat exotic in silver and black. I think I've finally hit gold this time. All without spending any more than the cost of a single MS mouse.

Re: No subject
Aug 25, 2003, 00:32
Re: No subject Aug 25, 2003, 00:32
Aug 25, 2003, 00:32

tron is fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently, that IGN reviewer would disagree with you. Unfortunately he doesn't appear to have any solid arguments to back his claim up.

Re: not worried....
Aug 24, 2003, 23:50
Re: not worried.... Aug 24, 2003, 23:50
Aug 24, 2003, 23:50

So we are to assume then that there are non-western games that do not rely on scripted events?

Operation Flashpoint would be the closest one that comes to my mind at the moment.

On the other hand, Serious Sam, Vietcong, and Mafia are excellent (Probably the best) recent "non-western" games that still rely heavily on scripted events and linearity. There are also relatively open-ended and sparsely scripted "western" games like GTA and Morrowind.

IMO, I don't think you can associate a style of gameplay with the cultural or geographical background of the developers.

Re: Women
Aug 15, 2003, 01:01
Re: Women Aug 15, 2003, 01:01
Aug 15, 2003, 01:01

I also know that every single one of you complainers out there will buy the game when it comes out.

And write multiple paragraph dissertations on why it sucks, while secretly fondling the D3 box lovingly during sleep.

I'm staying away from this.
264 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ] Older