Total Posts
264 (Amateur)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

264 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 14.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ] Older

Re: No subject
Dec 8, 2002, 21:52
Re: No subject Dec 8, 2002, 21:52
Dec 8, 2002, 21:52

In the end IMO it doesn't really matter. Remember that we are taking about two completely different genres of entertainment. In a videogame graphical subtleties can be eschewed in favor of more dynamic special effects or interactively responsive environments (Unless you're a fan of Matrix-style slowmos ala Max Payne.)

Would you notice the rounded edges on a character while he's cringing in pain as you cauterize his wounds with a volley of visually searing plasma rounds? I don't think so.

Anyway, for Quake IV I hope they don't take it's Borg similarities too far. No omniscient biomechanical queens please.

"Life is not about the second chances. It's about the little mouse, and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is." - Dad
"Nothing livens up a robotic hymn of doom more than an amazing pair of jugs." - Brak

Re: No subject
Nov 28, 2002, 00:32
Re: No subject Nov 28, 2002, 00:32
Nov 28, 2002, 00:32

I would hardly call it's graphics old-fashioned either.

Sure RTCW may not have the psychedelic colors of UT or NOLF, but they get the atmosphere spot on. The colors are subtle, teasing and only blaze as necessary (such as the Blood Red against Black Nazi insignias.) Compared to RTCW, MOHAA's graphics for example are stylized like comic-book drawings.

"Life is not about the second chances. It's about the little mouse, and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is." - Dad
"Nothing livens up a robotic hymn of doom more than an amazing pair of jugs." - Brak

Speed....
Nov 28, 2002, 00:18
Speed.... Nov 28, 2002, 00:18
Nov 28, 2002, 00:18

I wouldn't say that UT2K3 is fast because it wanted to serve as a reminder of the good old days (We don't lie when we say that you could run 90 MPH in the original DOOM.)Rather, I think that in Epic's mind high speed is simply more appropriate in a multiplayer game than a single-player one.

In the latter, the player needs to be immersed in the gameworld. Soaking up the richness of the story, enjoying the sweet eye candy, and realizing the various tactical opportunities presented are all more easily done by slowing the player down. Some single-player titles also use slow speed to pace the game much like in movies, adding a dramatic effect.

In the former, the competitive nature of the game tends to focus all of the player's attention on the gameplay alone. Stopping to enjoy the view will get you shot or left behind for example. The same goes for a player taking his time to work through a strategy or the story/theme of the game. Time in a multiplayer title is in a sense no longer your sole property but shared among others.

Bots in Single Player....
Nov 27, 2002, 23:34
Bots in Single Player.... Nov 27, 2002, 23:34
Nov 27, 2002, 23:34

Does the newly improved AI make this a decent single-player game?
Somehow I don't think so.

264 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 14.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ] Older