Total Posts
264 (Amateur)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

264 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 11.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ] Older

Re: No subject
Feb 17, 2003, 01:09
Re: No subject Feb 17, 2003, 01:09
Feb 17, 2003, 01:09

I was in elementary school during the Wolf3D's time and was seriously hooked on it, finishing all the six episodes on my HDD. I even learned to use the mouse in Wolf, but I didn't have the proper left hand controls (I think I used Ctrl and Alt for strafing.)

I fairly certain that many of Gray Matter's devs also experienced the original at around that time of their lives, and hooked them into PC Gaming in the same manner.

DOOM III on the other hand is a completely different affair. id's experiences with the original are unique, having created the game as well as played it. This will reflect on what elements they decide should be kept as a tribute, and what elements should be changed so as to keep up with the times.
"Nothing livens up a robotic hymn of doom more than an amazing pair of jugs." - Brak

Re: what do you expect...
Feb 13, 2003, 23:18
Re: what do you expect... Feb 13, 2003, 23:18
Feb 13, 2003, 23:18

I have to agree on the atmosphere part, a few of the levels in U2 were able to give that suspension of disbelief and evoke that foreboding feeling that makes you want to stop playing otherwise you'll freak out.

Unfortunately, when taken as a whole it's still pretty stale (And the lack of good gameplay doesn't help.)

I wasn't expecting anything new either (I also believe the innovative argument is flawed). IMO a sequel doesn't have to innovate or break new ground, but it should expand on the successful concepts presented in the first iteration. Unlike many of the great FPSs sequels we've played recently, Unreal 2 doesn't do this and instead tries to cash in on current FPS trends towards linearity.

As for the technical aspects, I hope they do fix that sound problem. On my system it isn't just limited to EAX usage (The "UseEAX" parameter), but 3D Sound in general ("Use3DSound=True/False".) I ended up playing most of the game through headphones since I couldn't use my 4-speaker setup without risking a crash.
"Nothing livens up a robotic hymn of doom more than an amazing pair of jugs." - Brak

Re: The End...
Feb 12, 2003, 22:08
Re: The End... Feb 12, 2003, 22:08
Feb 12, 2003, 22:08

People don't seem to understand that the cheesy elements of RTCW were not in there for cheesiness' sake, but as a tribute to the original game.

I enjoyed RTCW as much as I did MOHAA. Two different takes on a single theme.

Re: Just remember...
Feb 12, 2003, 21:54
Re: Just remember... Feb 12, 2003, 21:54
Feb 12, 2003, 21:54

"Phil and I just had another kid. So of course we need a bigger SUV. Being a mom is hard, with soccer, football and lacrosse practice, so we bought the new Maibatsu Monstrosity. It's so big...we lost little Joey in the back and couldn't find him for and hour!

When I'm rushing to the mall, or talking on my cell phone, I know me and my family are safe. The Maibatsu Monstrosity has 4-wheel drive, and in amphibious mode...it can cross rivers. So far I've only hit a few puddles, but it's good to know it's there.

With the time I save taking shortcuts through the strip-mall parking lot I can focus on the important things. Like gazing longingly at the pool boy or buying more exercise equipment off the TV. So what if it gets 3 miles to the gallon!? I'm a mom, not a conservationist!"

"The new Maibatsu Monstrosity...mine's bigger!!"

Hehe... Good old GTA3 satirical humor.

This begs the question...
Feb 12, 2003, 12:29
This begs the question... Feb 12, 2003, 12:29
Feb 12, 2003, 12:29

Does having a High 3DMark Score on a Low-End PC mean you're midget with a big wanker/"e-penis" and vice versa?

Re: I just dont get it.
Feb 11, 2003, 23:48
Re: I just dont get it. Feb 11, 2003, 23:48
Feb 11, 2003, 23:48

The story wasn't so bad as long as you ignored the lack of emotion and tension between the characters. Something I could easily do as I had very poor expectations for the story.

Despite that, by the end of the game I could understand how the motivations of my crewmembers came to be, and how these influenced their actions in the plot. With some interpollation, you could also draw a couple of overarching themes from the storyline (I won't bore you guys by discussing them.)

Regardless of the perceived relavance or quality of the story, I think the key point in all this is that Unreal 2's gameplay is not just unimaginative, it is simply lacking.

Exploring the environments gains you nothing (Other shooters would give you secret areas or other special bonuses), most of the unique weapons aren't really rewarding to use, there are very few tactical considerations when fighting (Other shooters have larger nods to realism games and better enemy placement), the AI is only believable at evading you (And barely so), etc. Simply put, there is no PLAY in it's gameplay.

The End...
Feb 11, 2003, 22:52
The End... Feb 11, 2003, 22:52
Feb 11, 2003, 22:52

The single player portion of the game did not progress as anticipated.

We may never know what circumstances lie behind such enigmatic phrasing.

Regardless, I supposed we've reached the end of our WWII single-player gaming orgy. Thanks for stopping by and be back next month when we discuss Vietnam.

Going back to reading Ambrose's D-Day...

Feb 10, 2003, 23:00
Re: I just dont get it. Feb 10, 2003, 23:00
Feb 10, 2003, 23:00

So basically,

Unreal 2 = Glorified Tech Demo

A highly glorified and polished one at that (There were several good moments), but the tech demo part explains the overemphasis on aspects other than gameplay.

Nothing livens up a robotic hymn of doom more than an amazing pair of jugs." - Brak
This comment was edited on Feb 10, 23:24.

Re: Graphics
Feb 10, 2003, 22:56
Re: Graphics Feb 10, 2003, 22:56
Feb 10, 2003, 22:56

Yeah Hitman 2 was fun, but it was more of a stylized tactical stealth game than an action FPS. Or at least, that's the way I ended up playing it. The graphics were also very bland IMO.

Re: Nice.
Feb 9, 2003, 23:26
Re: Nice. Feb 9, 2003, 23:26
Feb 9, 2003, 23:26

u better believe it didnt cut a damn thing for me infact i was so mad that aCTiveiate x was on my computer io called my friend his name is bossman and i sed to him he ralph how ome this shit is on my computer and he sed to me you know what he sad he sed to me hey man dont worry abou' just go down to macdonalds guess what they have NEW BEEF AND NEW BUNs so i said ok and i ordered a double quarter pounder with cheese combo supersize with coke and a sixpiece nuggets with hot mustard sauce and she oneluy givs me ONE PAk of sauce aned i said to the leady can i plase have 2 more and she said wHAT WHAT THATS 22 CENTS EACH BUDDY and i got mad and i didnt buy any sause

I am convinced fredrickson is several people. One of them is Jeff K.

Re: Love not Karate
Feb 9, 2003, 23:07
Re: Love not Karate Feb 9, 2003, 23:07
Feb 9, 2003, 23:07

...take my advice and make Bikini Lesbian Babes simulation!

Just wait for Dead Or Alive : Extreme Beach Volleyball Lesbian Edition. Now with new per-pixel breast physics that realistically depict 1 of 4 optional breast types: Silicone, Saline, Padded, or All-Natural.

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 23:13.

Feb 9, 2003, 22:54
Re: I just dont get it. Feb 9, 2003, 22:54
Feb 9, 2003, 22:54

I think it has everything to do with the expectations generated by the hype machine and the supposed legacy of Epic games. Apparently U2 failed to achieve them on most accounts.

Remember all that press about U2 being one of the most anticipated games of the year? Hah. (I personally like UT2003 though.)

Feb 9, 2003, 22:47
Re: Graphics Feb 9, 2003, 22:47
Feb 9, 2003, 22:47

Yes Raven is doing Quake 4, I think on the DOOM 3 engine (That's all I've heard so far.)

I for one will be very happy if Raven can at least make the gameplay (not necessarily the graphics and theme) of Quake 4 reminiscent of Quake 2. The linear, heavily-scripted trend of current FPSs (HL, MOH, U2, even NOLF for that matter) is disturbing IMO. Many modern FPSs now feel more like interactive movies or rail shooters than actual games. The sense of exploration and discovery is gone. I fondly remember rocket-jumping over various obstacles, or listening for various activation sounds to obtain some very rewarding secrets in Quake 2.

I also wish that more attention would be paid to dynamic graphics. I'm talking about explosions, weapon muzzle flashes, bullet ricochets, character animations, non-solid animations (Such as water, fire and gas), real-time lighting, realistic physics, etc. Basically everything that signals to the player that the world is responsive to his actions. That it is real not in a picture-purfect, ultimate vacation spot sense (Where you must stop to look at the pretty graphics), but more like in an action movie where every prop that can blow up will blow up in various spectacular fashions according to the player's whim.

This can only be logical in an action game, but some of the recent supposedly action-oriented FPSs I've played place an inordinate amount of time on detailed textures, super high-poly purely decorative objects, coloful backgrounds and various other little nuances that you'll never notice in a fierce battle. Perhaps they reason that this important for the atmosphere, but you don't need doors with more polys than an entire Half-Life level or microscopicly detailed textures to create atmosphere. As an example, aside from a few token levels such as Sulferon and Acheron, I was seriously more immersed in the levels of RTCW and MOHAA than those of U2 (If you tapped my headphones while I was playing I would literaly scream. Hell even Diablo II creeps me out more than U2.)

Feb 7, 2003, 20:15
Re: Graphics Feb 7, 2003, 20:15
Feb 7, 2003, 20:15

Is anyone else other than me waiting anxiously for Kreed?

I'd play this for atmosphere alone. The devs are promising some seriously eerie, out of this world sci-fi environments (Kinda like the small handful of levels in U2) which the screenshots certainly hint at. Plus it's got a suprisingly deep backstory.

"Life is not about the second chances. It's about the little mouse, and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is." - Dad

Re: BKB
Feb 7, 2003, 19:53
Re: BKB Feb 7, 2003, 19:53
Feb 7, 2003, 19:53

LOL to the trolls.

Tecmo developed Extreme Beach Volleyball. And unlike BKB, EBV actually gets decent to good scores from reviewers despite it's similarly racy content.

"Life is not about the second chances. It's about the little mouse, and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is." - Dad

Re: GeForceFX
Feb 7, 2003, 00:01
Re: GeForceFX Feb 7, 2003, 00:01
Feb 7, 2003, 00:01

The new cooling system actually removes 5 dB from the system.

If it still whines such a small decrease won't matter. A high-pitched whine will still pierce through the drone and low hissing of the larger 80mm fans in a typical system.

Re: um
Feb 6, 2003, 23:45
Re: um Feb 6, 2003, 23:45
Feb 6, 2003, 23:45

Graphics will sell the game but gameplay will appraise it.

IMO in a game which is clearly meant to cater to a wide audience, a fine balance between both should be attained.

Re: BKB
Feb 6, 2003, 23:31
Re: BKB Feb 6, 2003, 23:31
Feb 6, 2003, 23:31

...but they are better at making cars and jets not people (in real time any ways).

DOA: Extreme Beach Volleyball appears to represent the idealistic feminine form very well. All that game needs for practical photorealism are more subtle imperfections in skin texture, detailed lighting and better hair rendering. Wake up, it's 2003 and BKB is still stuck in the 90s.

All I want to know is...
Feb 5, 2003, 23:13
All I want to know is... Feb 5, 2003, 23:13
Feb 5, 2003, 23:13

Will there be a spoon in this game?

Re: #42
Feb 5, 2003, 22:46
Re: #42 Feb 5, 2003, 22:46
Feb 5, 2003, 22:46

They are a hybrid of a RTS(RPG) and a shooter.

Many FPSs that have been praised for their so called "innovation" are actually hybrids of other games and/or various genres of entertainment (Not necessarily from videogames.)

My initial impression of Deus Ex was that it was heavily based on a lot of older games. I could for example clearly pick out the System Shock 2 and Thief influences. The RPG system, the stealth system based on sensory perception, the dead body moving, the non-lethal weaponry, the supposedly philosophical underpinnings in the storyline, etc.

The multiple pathways in Deus Ex are nothing new if you've ever read a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book, while the conspiracy laden plot literaly screams X-Files (Deus Ex is best characterized as an all-you-can-eat smorgasborg IMO.)

SS itself was a clear-cut hybrid of an FPS and an RPG, while Thief 1 retained so many FPS elements (The zombie-shooting crypt missions for example) that to it took a sequel to fully develop it's stealth aspect.

NOLF 1 was an FPS with campy humor in it, and humor is nothing new in gaming. While NOLF 2 was the same thing but with renewed emphasis on the Sneaker and RPG elements, which by that time most players had already become familiar with through other games.

Basically, there's really nothing new to see here. If you look hard enough the derivativeness of any title will become apparent. What we call "innovation" is really the technique of creating new experiences by mixing in old ones (Like how adding cheese, more salt, and mushrooms can spice up the stale omelet. OK, bad analogy.) If such a word is to be taken that lightly, that I can venture to say that even more "traditional" FPSs such as Serious Sam are innovative as well since they take the tried and true formula and push it in different directions. The argument for "innovation" is fundamentally weak and it will take a huge technological advances (as stated below) before we can expect anything truly innovative.

264 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 11.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ] Older