May 27, 2003, 23:46

@ECHO OFF
SET SOUND=C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\CTSND
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\
MSCDEX.EXE /D:123
C:\MOUSE\MOUSE.EXE
CLS
CHOICE Monica Bellucci > Salma Hayek ???
IF ERRORLEVEL 2 GOTO END
DELTREE /Y C:\Pr0n\Salma
:END
CLS
"Nothing livens up a robotic hymn of doom more than an amazing pair of jugs." - Brak

Re: No subject
May 27, 2003, 22:58
Re: No subject May 27, 2003, 22:58
May 27, 2003, 22:58

He's like a modern day Superman!

Teh Carmack has spokeneth!! All Hail Teh Carmack!!!!!1

*Gamers across the world kneel and bow their heads with arms stretched towards their leader.*

Seriously, his thoughts about anything are like bright shafts of light perforating the grey storm clouds of disinformation. While this doesn't settle the debate, it certainly bolsters the intellectual fortitude of any argument.
"Nothing livens up a robotic hymn of doom more than an amazing pair of jugs." - Brak

Animatrix...
May 25, 2003, 10:39
Animatrix... May 25, 2003, 10:39
May 25, 2003, 10:39

Personally my favs are Matriculated and Beyond.

The former more for it's technicalities than the actual plot (Which wasn't clearly resolved) and the character discussion (Which quickly lost focus.) Having watched a few episodes of the director's prior work, Aeon Flux, I did expect a certain degree of fucked-up-ness to the storyline (Figure it out for yourself is all I can say.) The intensity of the visual and audible experience (The robot sounds owned me!) always made up for it.

I liked Beyond's simplicity and the relevance of the storyline. There were many allusions to the contrast between the ordinary, routine monotony of daily life in Japan versus the free-spirited exploration every child enjoys. It reminds us that we were all once young purveyors of chaos, naturally attracted to "Render Anomalies" such as that haunted house.

I didn't completely understand the techno-gangland visual style implemented in the Detective Story. Was this meant as the Matrix interpreted through the PI's perception, another version of the Matrix, or simply nothing more than eye candy? I'm leaning towards the latter. It doesn't have much else.

World Record was rather nice in the way it deviated from The Matrix's original visual style into something more expressive than derivative.

I found 2nd Renaissance too cliched (Just like the climax of the director's other opus, Blue Submarine 6) although as a "historical documentary" it did have the largest scope. The war scenes were very engaging.

Kid's Story tied in with the movie in a pertinent but ultimately predictable manner.

Program had a unique samurai style (Complete with a Crouching-Tiger-esque jumping-on-roofs scene), but that was about it.

Final Flight was nothing more than a novelty CGI tie-in IMO.

If you need your Matrix fix then by all means go watch all of them, just don't expect to be consistently blown away like in the movies.

Re: Gaenor
May 24, 2003, 19:53
Re: Gaenor May 24, 2003, 19:53
May 24, 2003, 19:53

Same here. That slider was maxed ages ago.

The courtyard would be a very unfortunate place to be in if Gaenor had levitation or better AI.

May 24, 2003, 04:02
Re: No subject May 24, 2003, 04:02
May 24, 2003, 04:02

...letting that ball that shoots flaming skulls out of its mouth

It's called the Pain Elemental

...big tomatoes...

Cacodemon sir!

Just brushing up on my DOOM 101.
This comment was edited on May 24, 04:03.

Re: Wow two expansions for this game?
May 24, 2003, 03:46
Re: Wow two expansions for this game? May 24, 2003, 03:46
May 24, 2003, 03:46

I hope my guy is gonna meet some resistance for once

It's way too easy to max out your skills in this game (It's no Diablo II.) My last character went through five months in Morrowind and then absolutely owned in Tribunal. Deprived of challenge and relevant skills to improve, there was no longer any sense of self-progression and achievement. It was just me the demi-god helping out a besieged capital.

I'll be wiping the slate clean for Bloodmoon.

Seriously...
May 23, 2003, 00:47
Seriously... May 23, 2003, 00:47
May 23, 2003, 00:47

Serious Sam wasn't all about blowing lot's of stuff up.

It had the pacing and suspenseful moments of a good movie, something many games either don't bother with or simply fail at. They usually involve monsters spawning after obtaining a powerful item, or creepy ambience prior to a big battle. The occasional tongue-in-cheek humor was another rarity. There were even moments when I empathized with that flippant little computer in Sam's head.

The Second Encounter added several memorable setpieces. Such as that cylindrical room where the laws of physics need not apply and the large field of that last great battle which starts out bright and refreshing but darkens into thunder and lightning as monsters flood into it.

SS was DOOM liberated from id's techno-gothic restraints.

Re: Sam Fisher Is Back...
May 22, 2003, 17:11
Re: Sam Fisher Is Back... May 22, 2003, 17:11
May 22, 2003, 17:11

Sam Fisher is irony packed into skin tight leather. I don't know many middle-aged veterans of countless conflicts who can jump off walls and do the split without worrying about arthritis.

For the next game I just hope they move away from Hollywood-style sound effects and give the silenced pistol a proper *Shpitck* sound when it fires. Just a little pet peeve of mine.

Re: wasd
May 22, 2003, 16:57
Re: wasd May 22, 2003, 16:57
May 22, 2003, 16:57

I tried WASD during my early Quake days but my fingers just didn't fit properly over it. Since then I've been using QWES which fits my hand like a glove. Comfort is paramount IMO.

No subject
May 21, 2003, 21:04
No subject May 21, 2003, 21:04
May 21, 2003, 21:04

...more booth babes than you can shack a stick at.

LOL. Shack a stick? Hehe.

May 21, 2003, 15:50
Re: No subject May 21, 2003, 15:50
May 21, 2003, 15:50

Deus Ex 2 is going to have a great physics-based sound system.

Fundamentally acoustics is all about physics. While the end effect has been mentioned, it's still unclear however just how in fact this Physics-based sound system is supposed to be implemented.

No doubt they'll still be using EAX for environmental acoustics, and I can only hope that they go full-bore on it.

Re: Call of Duty
May 20, 2003, 21:41
Re: Call of Duty May 20, 2003, 21:41
May 20, 2003, 21:41

There was also a book about Pegasus Bridge, although I doubt that was popular.

I just hope that we DON'T get to play L337 snipers in the Red Army. Or be in Easy company for that matter. There was way too much happening in WWII, even WITHIN those given scenarios, for anybody to restrict themselves to pop culture content.

May 20, 2003, 21:27
Re: No subject May 20, 2003, 21:27
May 20, 2003, 21:27

Sound cards...

I don't know much about the specifics on this but would it be possible for the sound card to process geometric (and material if such is available) information from the CPU in a similar way video cards do?

Currently under EAX, acoustic environments are mostly prerendered by the developers. Room dimensions, material information (glass, brick, cement), etc. are all entered into the card for each room where they would be relevant.

In addition to this being a laborious process (Most devs settle for a half-assed sound job), the information does not change dynamically. The parameters given to the sound card can only approximate the actual environment. The disadvantages of this are prominent in outdoor environments, where a large reflective surface such as a building can quickly switch positions relative to the player.

Of course, it would take a fairly powerful sound card to do acoustic modelling the way video cards do transformation and lighting. But with the advent of new 3D engines utilizing complex surface properties, it seems increasingly unfair that sound cards aren't able to share such a wealth of useful data.

This comment was edited on May 20, 21:30.

Re: Well....
May 20, 2003, 20:27
Re: Well.... May 20, 2003, 20:27
May 20, 2003, 20:27

the stupid knocked out, then teleported to trash compactor.

It wasn't so bad for me. On many situations the super-accurate Glock pistol was all I ever needed.

There was but one problem with HL's AI you see: If you weren't in their Line of Sight when you shot them, they wouldn't take any action. A spent a good chunk of the game peeking around corners and shooting at visible limbs.

May 16, 2003, 19:06
Re: No subject May 16, 2003, 19:06
May 16, 2003, 19:06

Limited mission saves suck just as bad a la Splinter Cell which I got in January, and have to this day not completed due to only be able to save at check points which generally come after a difficult part has been finished.

I'd rather have a properly placed checkpoint system (Which saves before and after the good parts) than the unlimited saving system they had on the PC. My stealth experience was sort of degraded by being able to quickly right mistakes.

Re: Re; Saving Limited
May 16, 2003, 11:02
Re: Re; Saving Limited May 16, 2003, 11:02
May 16, 2003, 11:02

I have no problem with the "Saving Limited" aspect. I do appreciate the satisfaction of this style of play and understand your concept giving meaning to your life in a game.

My problem is with the "Anywhere" aspect. Unless you are absolutely hardcore or playing on Easy, you will end up playing these games with the idea of when to save always tugging at your shirt (There are times in some of these games when even the best stealth and consideration fail, and you may be punished for a failure that is not entirely your fault.) Additionaly, games with this type of implementation often assume you are hardcore and give little to no clues as to how you should use your limited saves effectively. The process of Limited Saving becomes a guessing game in itself and ruins immersion, as opposed to the passive and inconsequential QuickSave which has a better chance of being overwritten than actually being used.

The whole debate over Saving in games is not black and white. There are gray areas that can satisfy both the hardcore and the casual player. My favorite so far has been Vietcong's implementation. There are enough preselected save points to keep the game from being too frustrating, and only a handfull of save anywhere slots to keep you on your toes (Half of the time I didn't even bother with these though.)

Re: Save games
May 15, 2003, 21:10
Re: Save games May 15, 2003, 21:10
May 15, 2003, 21:10

First of all let me just say that I absolutely abhor the "Limited Save Anywhere" concept used by several recent action/realism FPSs such as SoF2, IGI2 and Hitman 2. Instead of a quick, passive press of a button, the process of saving in these games becomes an annoyingly large thorn on the side of gameplay.

Gameplay is almost entirely centered around the "Number of Saves" and how best to use them with attainable threat information. Will it be a tough firefight around the next corner? Maybe I should save. How far away am I from my final objective? Maybe I should save. If I die here, how difficult would it be to repeat from the last save? Maybe I should save. I've been given a map of the entire level, at what points should I save? Instead of taking your focus away from saving and into more tactical decisions, this system actually emphasizes the unrealistically strategic relevance of saving.

Having said that, I don't think the "Unlimited Save Anywhere" concept works well for the linear, heavily scripted, horror FPS DOOM 3 is so far purported as being. Since the game is linear, the number of ways you can complete a mission are intentionally limited by the devs. So the excuse of trying different things just doesn't work as well as it would in a not-so-linear FPS. The memory of tension and drama a particular scripted scene is supposed to have invoked will too often be erased by seeing it just about a few dozen times in a row (For various possible reasons. Personally I'd repeatedly QuickLoad my way through such a scene with as little health lost.) The hand-crafted pacing of the game is thus lost akin to a badly edited movie. Lastly, what inspires horror and fear more than what you take in through your senses? The presence of brutal consequences of course. Something the Unlimited system was purposely built to tear down.

Ideally IMO, DOOM 3 would implement a flexible middleground such as the "Save at Predetermined Points" system used in Mafia and many console games or perhaps a combination of save systems such as the "Save at Predetermined Points" + "Limited Save Anywhere" systems used in Vietcong. Since little is known about DOOM 3's gameplay other than the aformentional generalizations, it would be arrogant of me to suggest a specific and detailed implementation. Suffice to say I am pleased that Carmack is at least thinking about these things.

Re: Real Genius - YEA!
May 14, 2003, 20:34
Re: Real Genius - YEA! May 14, 2003, 20:34
May 14, 2003, 20:34

My Real Genius lair will have a swimming pool... Filled with popcorn!

Music....
May 13, 2003, 02:58
Music.... May 13, 2003, 02:58
May 13, 2003, 02:58

Rummages through my parents' 80's music collection...

Finally, a good reason to listen to the young Sting.

Re: Jesus Christ
May 13, 2003, 02:48
Re: Jesus Christ May 13, 2003, 02:48
May 13, 2003, 02:48

Totally agreed on the story.

For me, the only dissapointing thing about Max Payne was the gameplay. There simply wasn't much depth to it. The simple combat moves ended up as mere barrels for the whole bullet-time gimick (Like a gun with no scope, silencer, or lasersight ) The linearity of the levels didn't help either.

I hope for the next one they add more moves that utilize the environment or ones that are useful for close combat, such as whatever we'll end up seeing this Wednesday

Overall of course it's still an excellent game. There are few games today that can execute such flawless presentation.
264 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 8.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ] Older