Descending
Limit Results:

264 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 7.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ] Older

Re: Undead
Jun 8, 2003, 06:15
Re: Undead Jun 8, 2003, 06:15
Jun 8, 2003, 06:15

My problem with the zombies in the original relates to how they over-emphasized the "shooter" aspect of the game. The best way to totally destroy them was with Holy Water, and the water would only stay holy for a limited time. So it oddly enough became like the Rampage missions in GTA.

The zombies in RTCW owned IMO. 'Nuff Said.
"Nothing livens up a robotic hymn of doom more than an amazing pair of jugs." - Brak

Re: Mafia
Jun 6, 2003, 00:53
Re: Mafia Jun 6, 2003, 00:53
Jun 6, 2003, 00:53

The only issue I think it might have is that it was just really, really hard - even on PC

I wouldn't use 2 "reallys" to describe it's difficulty, but yeah it's up there with VietCong and Operation Flashpoint (I had to cheat in the latter to avoid premature aging.) Allowing the player to get creative with killing people GTA-style could have eased it a bit, but that's irrelevant now. Just put in a good auto-aim system or add more save points.

The only major AI glitch I encountered was in the driving mission. All the cars crashed into each other, thankfully
"Nothing livens up a robotic hymn of doom more than an amazing pair of jugs." - Brak

Re: Let it flop. There are other good games.
Jun 6, 2003, 00:35
Re: Let it flop. There are other good games. Jun 6, 2003, 00:35
Jun 6, 2003, 00:35

Halo? No thanks, I'll pass. That was LAST millenniums State of the Art.

Define State of the Art. If it's only the technology you're after than I see no reason why you should be playing games in the first place.

The advent of new technologies doesn't necessitate innovations in gameplay (Just look at Unreal 2) or even a simple increase in the immersion factor (How many modern games can grip you like System Shock 2 did?)

I would even go as far to say that the ability of these upcoming games to provide the pure, adrenaline-fueled action Halo can (I've played it on Coop) is questionable at most. Despite all the previews we've seen we'll never really know for sure until people have played them.

Re: Games should be restricted to a degr
Jun 6, 2003, 00:17
Re: Games should be restricted to a degr Jun 6, 2003, 00:17
Jun 6, 2003, 00:17

They were both anti-US but they weren't really in league I don't think.

Haven't read too much on this either, but AFAIK they only went as far as signing a non-agression pact with Germany. I don't believe there was any sharing of arms like within the Axis powers in Europe.

This reminds of one of the explanations why anime has a propensity for depicting the future as post-apocalyptic (Neo-Tokyo, etc.) Apparently it's because they've seen it first hand all too often (Hiroshima, Nagasaki and the major earthquakes.)

Re: No subject
Jun 5, 2003, 23:59
Re: No subject Jun 5, 2003, 23:59
Jun 5, 2003, 23:59

Woohoo! Another war simulation! Bring 'em on!

It's like GTA for the gun freak inside every one of us.

Re: Halo
Jun 4, 2003, 23:54
Re: Halo Jun 4, 2003, 23:54
Jun 4, 2003, 23:54

I've played a bit of Halo and I think it will be a good visual change of pace from the dark, monochromatic ambience the upcoming titles are bound to exhibit. It's not gonna revolutionize anything but it will no doubt be fun.

Jun 4, 2003, 23:46
Re: No subject Jun 4, 2003, 23:46
Jun 4, 2003, 23:46

how is half-life deep and tactical.. that doesn't make any sense

*Shhh*.... Don't tell him about Rainbow Six.

Personally, a mindless run and gun game can immerse me for the same amount of time as a thoughtful tactical one, assuming both are of good quality.

Re: How was this game?
Jun 4, 2003, 23:35
Re: How was this game? Jun 4, 2003, 23:35
Jun 4, 2003, 23:35

Even with reduced texture quality and the lowest LOD setting I still couldn't get the kind of framerate consistency GTA3 had. They'll probably have to reduce the AI radius significantly for the PS2 version.

My only complaints about this game would be the linearity of the shooting levels (Locked doors!), and that it generally isn't as replayable as GTA since there isn't as much stuff to do in the city.

Re: ETM
Jun 4, 2003, 03:47
Re: ETM Jun 4, 2003, 03:47
Jun 4, 2003, 03:47

GTA Vice City

Every time I see those words <Insert random 80s hit song here> starts playing in my head.

....Make the madness stop.....

No subject
Jun 4, 2003, 03:35
No subject Jun 4, 2003, 03:35
Jun 4, 2003, 03:35

The 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals disagreed, saying a "particularized message" is not required when it comes to the First Amendment.

"If the First Amendment is versatile enough to 'shield the painting of Jackson Pollock...

Note that art was used as an analogy for games. Games IMO are unique in that like many contemporary works of art, they don't deliver a "particularized message" but rely on the player's ability to interpret the presentation as he sees fit.

Every game from the banal Fighter to the analytical RTS presents a number of relevant themes that can either be expanded upon by the player or simply taken as is. While some games actually design the gameplay around certain themes (Such as how the character in System Shock 2 is occasionally made aware of his loneliness against The Many), no attempts are ever made to elevate them above the aspects that make the game fun.

While I don't believe the CoA intended to place games in the same league as art, it is clear that the ever-broadening significance of gaming culture is beginning to be recognized.

Re: Painkiller
Jun 3, 2003, 00:18
Re: Painkiller Jun 3, 2003, 00:18
Jun 3, 2003, 00:18

Level design is quite interesting. They look like the photos my folks took on their trip to Europe (Only with more tourists and less monsters.)

I hope they have moments during play where you can simply stop and look at the purdy graphics. Even Serious Sam had those.

Jun 3, 2003, 00:11
Re: No subject Jun 3, 2003, 00:11
Jun 3, 2003, 00:11

it's movies based on games.

I personally wouldn't touch the Tomb Raider franchise with a ten-foot pole attached to the end of 100-foot one. It's all silicone and no actual meat.

No subject
Jun 3, 2003, 00:10
No subject Jun 3, 2003, 00:10
Jun 3, 2003, 00:10

We Need MORE FOOD!!!

Re: Well, if you're an RPG player,
Jun 3, 2003, 00:01
Re: Well, if you're an RPG player, Jun 3, 2003, 00:01
Jun 3, 2003, 00:01

Maybe it's just me but I found DX lacking atmosphere.

I think this was more due to technological limitations than a lack of artistic vision. The colors and the scale of the levels were fairly convincing, but the scenery and characters were too simplistic in appearance to convey any sort of gritty, post-apocalyptica. Despite this it still ran like crap on my former system.

I hope the sequel will have some truly immense open spaces with vast foreboding structures of unimaginable proportions and functionality. The kind of scenery we've all seen in futurist-inspired movies like Blade Runner, Minority Report, and those anime flicks.

That mission in DX2 we've read about concerning a two-tiered Seattle sounds about right.

Re: Whatever
Jun 2, 2003, 23:41
Re: Whatever Jun 2, 2003, 23:41
Jun 2, 2003, 23:41

Lots of people say they don't give a shit about this game, yet now the posts number in the 200's.

Hey, if it's any consolation we're always a far cry from those guys in Shacknews.

Since I've never played DK3D I can't understand the supposed allure of the franchise. Considering recent events, it would seem that I didn't miss out on anything anyway.

Re: Violent Video games
May 30, 2003, 22:41
Re: Violent Video games May 30, 2003, 22:41
May 30, 2003, 22:41

God its about time somebody did something about these evil video games... my son Timmy smashed his head through a window pain yesterday and yelled out 'daddy, daddy, where's the reset button?'

Kids these days, all they want to do is play videogames. What is it? The Degeneratron? What a crock of shit!

Re: What I still can't understand
May 30, 2003, 00:01
Re: What I still can't understand May 30, 2003, 00:01
May 30, 2003, 00:01

In Asia, the majority of multiplayer games are played over LANs due to inadequate residential network infastructure (Bad phone lines, Few areas with DSL, expensive.) I'm not familiar with the process but there are people beside me playing pirated copies of WC3 over this LAN as I write this.

I have no doubt that Frozen Throne will be pirated and thusly distributed like rice to the masses.

Re: Seriously...
May 29, 2003, 23:40
Re: Seriously... May 29, 2003, 23:40
May 29, 2003, 23:40

Maybe it is taking so long because they are actually making an innovative game that will redefine first person shooters as we know it?

Well that's a stretch. Ever since HL, the only way I can see the FPS being "redefined" is to cross-pollinate it with other genres, ala Deus Ex or Thief. There's really only so much you can do under the blatant specifics of this genre.

Maybe they'll have huge assloads of content (NPCs, Levels, Enemies, Weapons, etc.) and go the free-roaming route ala Morrowind or GTA, but as we all know size is irrelevant if it can't provide a compelling experience.

Re: 3d cockpits?
May 29, 2003, 23:14
Re: 3d cockpits? May 29, 2003, 23:14
May 29, 2003, 23:14

a lot of processor intensive stuff going.

That can't be stressed enough. In 2002 the only videocard feature you ever needed was a large amount of RAM for the scenery textures. You could get the best visual quality with measly a GF2 MX as long as it had at least 64 Mb. To truly make use of all the great add-ons and max out the sliders while maintaining a decent framerate however, required a 3 Gig processor.

I have no doubt that the new version will continue this trend.

Re: 3d cockpits?
May 28, 2003, 23:07
Re: 3d cockpits? May 28, 2003, 23:07
May 28, 2003, 23:07

all cockpits have been 3D in Flightsim.

Nah. Some of the older aircraft in 2002 (Mooney, Lear, etc.) were simply ported over from previous versions. That was dissapointing but frankly wasn't surprising (It's an MS product afterall.)

You can't possibly compare MSFS to IL-2. They're from two different genres satisfying completely different definitons of fun.
264 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 7.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ] Older