Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Yifes

Real Name Yifes   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Yifes
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 21, 2002, 00:39
Total Comments 1033 (Pro)
User ID 15316

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer
32. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer Mar 6, 2012, 20:17 Yifes

I hope they keep the tension and fear of the original in. Also, it looks like they are focusing more on building unique soldiers with RPG mechanics, a la Jagged Alliance than the generic expendable soldiers of X-COM. Still looks great, a first day purchase for me with what I've seen so far.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans
54. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans Feb 27, 2012, 16:58 Yifes

.net_Drifter wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 02:21:
Still not enough though to get me to buy the game. I've heard too many times, from devs and those who are enthusiastic about a game, how great it will be only to be let down.

You can apply that pessimistic attitude to every game that will ever be made and stop gaming altogether. No one is promising that GW2 will be great. Just different enough to be worth a try.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 26, 2012, 21:18 Yifes

Pleasantly surprised by Alan Wake. Remedy's storytelling and presentation has only gotten better since Max Payne.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans
40. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans Feb 26, 2012, 20:59 Yifes

.net_Drifter wrote on Feb 26, 2012, 18:40:
I keep hearing how GW2 is going to be the second coming of online games.
I tried the first GW, played it maybe a week and a half after it first came out, never touched it again.
This left me with pretty much no interest in a GW2.
What, exactly, am I missing about this game that it is supposedly so great?
I've heard this sort of hype about a few other games that didn't pan out (Warhammer Online and Age of Conan to name two), so what exactly is so great about GW2?

GW2 replaces the traditional MMO quest structure with an upgraded version of WAR`s public quest and Rift's system. Multistaged dynamic world changing events scale to the number of players involved and encourages teamwork. People who've played the game say its a much more organic experience, one that allows you the freedom to explore the world instead of being herded from one quest hub to another.

More skill based combat requires aiming abilities and active dodging of enemy attacks.

No fixed roles as Tank/Healer/DPS. Instead, the soft roles of control/support/damage are spread among the entire group as every class can heal and rez.

Immediate access to instanced PVP with premade max level characters via in game FPS style server browser.

DOAC style World vs World vs World PVP where you fight for your server against 2 others. Server pairings change every 2 weeks depending on your server's performance, ensuring balance.

Finally, the people making GW2 have been very open with the community. The public and press have had many opportunities to play their game, and with their recent closed press beta, the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive.

News Comments > Diablo III Launch Date Announcement Nears
91. Re: Diablo III Launch Date Announcement Nears Feb 24, 2012, 18:59 Yifes

I guess people here are just very passionate about their games. The anger, hurt, and resentment towards Blizzard is so strong that it's almost like a bad breakup.

Blizzard has changed. The writing on the wall has been there for a while now. It's time to part ways, but don't let that make you bitter and cloud your judgement. If you guys can ever get past the flaws of the new Blizzard, they still make some damn good games.

85. Re: the best gaming experience Feb 24, 2012, 18:09 Yifes

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 17:58:
The bitching is largely to express my unhappiness about said service and the things it lacks that it once didn't lack.

Diablo 2 had all that i listed above. So what is there not to understand? This game is still called Diablo 3, right? If they rename it to dunno, WoW Light, i might be less lofty in my rants.

Diablo 3 is a separate game, a sequel that continues to offer a lot of what made Diablo 2 great for many people. Unfortunately its missing things that are important for you.

You did not commission Diablo 3. Blizzard does not owe it to you to make Diablo 3 the way you want it. In the end, Blizzard is allow to do what they want with their own game, as long as they don't lie or deceive gamers. And they've done a good job letting people know exactly what you're getting into so that you don't waste your money.

83. Re: the best gaming experience Feb 24, 2012, 17:39 Yifes

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 17:29:
What constitutes Single player for me in D3?

Nobody can join, see me playing, find me in any way or add me in anyway, or talk to me online via B.Net
No items allowed that were acquired over the auction house
No auction house
No Characters created outside Single Player games

So what's the big deal? Blizzard is offering a service that does not meet your requirements. They're letting you know ahead of time, so you can avoid wasting your money on something that you don't want.

I don't understand what this incessant bitching is about.

82. Re: Diablo III Launch Date Announcement Nears Feb 24, 2012, 17:34 Yifes

Slashman wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 17:08:
The problem with the online requirement isn't so much that most people have internet connections. Some people have pretty horrible internet connections. Some folks live in the boondocks or other areas where net connections are spotty.

The real problem is that people still think of Diablo 3 as a single player game. The problems of connection reliability is something that PC gamers have dealt with since the beginning of online gaming. If you could deal with it before, then you can deal with it now.

51. Re: the best gaming experience Feb 24, 2012, 14:57 Yifes

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 14:30:
I am expecting Diablo 3 to absolutely tank in Europe. Unless they have massive infrastructure prepared on release, i can already see the shitstorm ^^

More likely Blizzard will sell a bazillion copies, just like they always do. Who the hell played Diablo 2 offline anyways? The MP co-op, persistent BNET character and item hunt was what gave the game its longevity in the first place.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 PvP Details
3. Re: Guild Wars 2 PvP Details Feb 16, 2012, 21:05 Yifes

Ugh. Sounds too awesome... Pretty much addresses everything that was wrong with WAR PvP  

News Comments > Obsidian Considering a Kickstart
17. Re: Obsidian Considering a Kickstart Feb 13, 2012, 23:02 Yifes

commonperson wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 22:35:
Here's the thing, Double Fine has a mis-start or two (Brutal Legend which I enjoyed but wasn't a big success) but is a fan favorite (Psychonauts, Grim Fandango, etc.) while Obsidian has a history of flops and unfinished products. Their last project Alpha Protocol started okay and then just trailed in to a train wreck which by the end was so broken it made no sense. Never Winter Nights 2 and it's add on had broken stories even KOTOR 2 was broken and took a fan patch to fix. I'll kick in for a company where I feel there's a good chance of my contribution creating something great I'm not going to kick in for a company where SEGA are so scared of their last product they pushed it back because it was just too broken.

Technically Double Fine didn't make Grim Fandango, or any of Schafer's classic adventure games. If you're going to give Double Fine credit to Schafer's classics, then you need to give Obsidian credit for Urquhart, Avellone and company's classics too, which includes the likes of Icewind Dale, Fallout, and PS: Torment. Now that's an amazing track record, as fine as you can get in the industry.

Not to mention that New Vegas was fantastic, whereas Schafer's latest work has been lacking.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Mass Effect 3
46. Re: Gone Gold - Mass Effect 3 Feb 13, 2012, 16:40 Yifes

Pineapple Ferguson wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 16:22:
The pickle wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 16:00:
People who say they don't want or use origins crack me up. It's the same thing as steam.

The concept may be similar, but there is a huge gap in functionality between the two. And even if Origin was as good or even better than Steam, I would still be reluctant (to put it mildly) to install it. Face it, EA has not done much to care for or support the PC gaming community, and many of their games and decisions seem greedy and short-sighted.

Steam may be DRM, but it's functional, it's always being improved, has a great selection of games, great sales, a proven track record of reliability, and let's face it, most peoples' games are already on Steam. So why, when Steam already has everything I want, would I install Origins? So I can play such gems as Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3, or the Battlefield games? Sorry, none of those games have enough appeal for me to bother.

So you can stop saying that Origins = Steam because your ignorance has been and will continue to be exposed when you do.

Just curious, but what functionality does Steam provide that Origin doesn't?

News Comments > Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death
42. Re: Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death Feb 10, 2012, 21:57 Yifes

Dev wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 17:48:
Connectivity isn't the issue. You have to be connected to play multiplayer anyway, and BF3 is primarily a multiplayer game.

The problem is when they require an always on connection for playing single player. And just because YOU think an always online form of DRM is trivial, doesn't make it that way for every other person on the planet.

Also, you are not the arbitrar of the future, so you can't say for certain that always online DRM games will increase in frequency.

It is about connectivity. The more ubiquitous high-speed internet becomes, the less reason to keep your games fully offline. We're seeing it with the current PC games. We're seeing it with the growth of casual online games. We're even seeing it with the current console generation, with single player games like Demon's Souls. I don't know what kind of future you imagine, but we're going to be MORE connected, not less.

35. Re: Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death Feb 10, 2012, 17:08 Yifes

JoeNapalm wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 16:38:
I was looking forward to D3, but this "you'll fold because you NEED our game" bully bully crap is why I didn't play BF3...

That sucks man, BF3 was awesome. Like it or not, online connectivity is the future, and you're going to be missing out on more and more great games over something trivial.

News Comments > Blizzard Sues Over DOTA TM
29. Re: Blizzard Sues Over DOTA TM Feb 10, 2012, 14:25 Yifes

The KillSmith wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 13:07:
Valve isn't pulling the dick move, Blizzard is. Blizzard is just butthurt they didn't jump at the opportunity to utilize their community by bringing certain mod members on board WHEN THEY WERE APPROACH BY THOSE MEMBERS! Yes, in case some of you were not aware, Blizzard originally turned down helping certain key DotA mod members. Icefrog went to Valve and they were behind him. This has happened before with other mod teams that start on one engine, and then go commercial with their own intellectual property on another. In this case, rather than just the engine, they also used Valve's development team support by simply becoming members of Valve. If I had my own idea for a game and was able to flush that out as a mod, when I want to go commercial I should be able to take my ideas and name with me anywhere I want. Law protects this right so that other people can't steal what's mine, and now Blizzard is trying to say law gives them the right to do that. What a bunch of pompous pricks.

It's a nice rant, but you missed the part about how Icefrog didn't create DotA and has no right to sell it to Valve

12. Re: Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death Feb 10, 2012, 11:48 Yifes

Wallshadows wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 11:18:
I'll be more impressed if they actually retain the difficulty rather than nerf it and turn it in to a hand holding experience for the bucket heads.

Don't worry. There's no need to cater to casual gamers on higher difficulties. That's what normal is for. In fact, I think Blizzard has a history of making Diablo bosses harder, not easier.

9. Re: Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death Feb 10, 2012, 11:17 Yifes

LittleMe wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 10:43:
That isn't dying. Your char is still playable. It's just a xp loss and your equipment is still on your char. They should have a mode where you have just one life.

They do. Hardcore mode will be in the game, just like in D2.

20. Re: Blizzard Sues Over DOTA TM Feb 10, 2012, 11:11 Yifes

ViRGE wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 11:03:
No more than AutoDesk owns Transformers because 3dsMax was used to assemble the models. Being the toolmaker confers no ownership of the finished product (unless there's a contract stating otherwise, i.e. the free version of Unreal Engine 3).

Blizzard certainly has no standing to own the DotA trademark. The only party that has any standing is Valve, and even then it's not immediately clear that they should get it.

I'd assume that it'd depend on the Warcraft 3 map editor EULA?

18. Re: Blizzard Sues Over DOTA TM Feb 10, 2012, 11:08 Yifes

InBlack wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 10:57:
I know of at least one example of a Valve game that started out as a mod on a game IP that wasnt owned by them. Team Fortress.

BLizzard is making DOTA? Well thats news to me, I stand corrected then. How long has it been in development compared to Valve's version?

The big difference again is that TF had clear cut developers and Valve bought the entire team along with the IP.

Blizzard announced their version of DOTA in Blizzcon 2010, and I assume Valve's version has been in development longer.

13. Re: Blizzard Sues Over DOTA TM Feb 10, 2012, 10:55 Yifes

Verno wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 10:38:
At this point it's changed hands and developers so many times I think the courts are going to have sort it out. I really have no idea who is the wrong because we aren't privy to exactly how ownership was handed down over the years.

The whole point is that NOBODY owns Dota. Anyone who wanted to make their own version could, and there were a million different variations floating around BNET. There were no centralized development for one team to hand over to another, except for the latest All-Stars variant of DOTA, through which Valve is trying to lay ownership claim over the entire IP.

The only entity that even has a remotely legitimate claim on the name DOTA is Blizzard, depending on the details of the EULA for content made using Warcraft 3's map editor.

1033 Comments. 52 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo