Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Yifes

Real Name Yifes   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Yifes
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 21, 2002, 00:39
Total Comments 1015 (Pro)
User ID 15316

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Torment Kickstarter Concludes
25. Re: About original Torment Apr 6, 2013, 08:25 Yifes

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 00:07:
You know what I just randomly noticed because I am replaying it (don't laugh..). Torment may have a great story, but can it be that they ran out of time? Some of the characters you meet are severely under-developed. Pharod and Annah for example. Especially considering that there is even the remnant of a romance (Annah) in the game, but they never do anything with it.

Chris Avellone commented on this years ago in an interview I read somewhere. They ran out of time and the end of the game is much less polished. You can really feel it in areas like Baator.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Torment Kickstarter Concludes
24. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 6, 2013, 08:20 Yifes

El Pit wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 07:26:
storytelling IN WORDS instead of letting the player experience it. Sometimes it felt like reading a book instead of playing a game.

You can express more with words than you can with just animation and dialogue. The depth of storytelling that I experienced in PS:T surpassed any other game that I've played. Reading is a part of the gameplay experience, and that's not a bad thing.

Funny thing, Chris Avellone agrees with you and thinks that it's one of the weaknesses of the game. Personally though, I think it's one of the best aspects of the game, and put it on a level above his later works like KOTOR2 and NWN2

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 2013, 08:28.

News Comments > Chris Avellone Joins Torment Team
9. Re: Chris Avellone Joins Torment Team Apr 4, 2013, 08:48 Yifes

dj LiTh wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 06:31:
Well its not just him, i dont think its right thats Chris is on so many projects, especially when this is one of their kickstarter goals to add him to the team. They should say just how much of his schedule he'll even be able to attribute to the goal, because its certainly not like its full time.

Actually, considering how late they added Chris to the project, and how close they came to not making the $3.5 million requirement, it seems like his contributions will be pretty superfluous. I really don't expect much more than the 1 NPC that they explicitly stated he'll create. Which I'm OK with.

News Comments > Chris Avellone Joins Torment Team
5. Re: Chris Avellone Joins Torment Team Apr 4, 2013, 00:03 Yifes

Well, Avellone and that in-engine video did it for me.

PS:T had the best writing I've ever seen in a videogame. Hope they can pull it off again.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
12. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 28, 2013, 17:32 Yifes

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Mar 28, 2013, 17:28:
Enjoying HOTS but the update was pretty formal. Still see the same units, with the very notable exception of the terran spider mine.

I do like what they've added though. You still earn some points for your account on losses and the unranked means I can finally fuck around with Terran without pushing through the custom game format.

Still I wish it had been Frozen Throne level. 2 new units for each of 4 races, a crapload of new heroes and the shop and mercenaries mechanic. That was like a new game in mp.

Viper and Swarm host are pretty big additions for zerg. Yeah its slightly less of a jump than TFT, but you have to leave some room for legacy of the void.

News Comments > Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Announced
13. Re: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Announced Mar 24, 2013, 16:44 Yifes

Cutter wrote on Mar 23, 2013, 03:08:
Rolleyes

You couldn't be any further off the mark. There are plenty of good companies out there.

So naive, like a little child. Capitalism has no place for "good" companies. It's like evolution, all this environment breeds is companies that make money.

Good will, brand loyalty, all that has a value on the balance sheet. It's all so people like you can feel better spending your money on a "good" company and helping their bottom line.

News Comments > Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Announced
6. Re: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Announced Mar 23, 2013, 00:34 Yifes

Cutter wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 21:45:
There is absolutely no doubt in anyone's mind that's why they chose this. Free my ass. Money is the one and only thing Actiblizz cares about.

Rolleyes

That's all that any company cares about.

News Comments > SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed
116. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 23:21 Yifes

So, aside from all the bugs and rage against online only mode, is the game good? Thinking about grabbing this and Dead Space 3.  

News Comments > StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Footage
5. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Footage Jan 23, 2013, 16:57 Yifes

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 12:30:
"All new strategies" of rushing.

None of the new units are early game units, and almost all the changes affect the mid to late game.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 17, 2012, 14:24 Yifes

You can have anti-hate speech laws and still have freedom of speech.
Like in Canada.
People in the US fail to understand that it does not have to be all or nothing. Protecting free speech does not mean you have to protect pieces of shit like the WBC.

News Comments > StarCraft II Heart of the Swarm Beta Patch
10. Re: StarCraft II Heart of the Swarm Beta Patch Dec 6, 2012, 11:05 Yifes

Ceribaen wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 10:09:
To me it's the fact it's 1/3 of a total game at a full game price.
I'll get SC2 when you have all three campaigns in a single purchase.

I really only played the single player campaign stories for SC, with the occasional MP games against friends I knew.

2 years after launch and people still believe this BS.
You play Terran and Protoss in the Wings of Liberty campaign, and it contains more content than the original Starcraft campaign. The new between mission research and storytelling mechanics makes it a superior singleplayer experience than the original SC.

The only thing better about SC1 was the multiplayer, and that was because of Brood War.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Slingshot
18. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Slingshot Dec 4, 2012, 18:37 Yifes

$4.90 on Greenmangaming using this code:

GMG30-DEC01-ARFC9

News Comments > StarCraft II Global Play Coming
12. Re: StarCraft II Global Play Coming Nov 10, 2012, 16:06 Yifes

DG wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 06:36:
For a SP-only player, is SC2 worth buying? Never played SC, did enjoy some of the C&C games (the original, Red Alert & Generals).

Yes. The single player is pretty good. They try to provide more variety than just the old build a base and crush your enemy mission formula, but it sometimes backfires as the new mechanics end up being more gimmicky than fun. However the late game missions are appropriately solid and epic. At 29 missions in total, you'll get your money's worth.

They also did good job moving the genre forward by adding RPG elements throughout the campaign, and exploring new storytelling mechanics like a between mission hub that resembles a mini adventure game, where you can interact with your ship and your crew for extra story fluff.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
43. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 23, 2012, 00:20 Yifes

Prez wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 18:54:
As for XCOM, in this X-COM fanatic's opinion the new one is well worthy of the name even if it is somewhat inferior to the original in some ways. It definitley warrants its apparent runaway success for sure. Too bad those turn-based games don't sell at all anymore...

***EDIT: on sales over the weekend.

Haha glad you like it! I'm also happy that the game is selling well, but there are a few bugs that are irritating the hell out of me.

News Comments > Project Eternity Interview
17. Re: Project Eternity Interview Oct 22, 2012, 22:45 Yifes

Creston wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 14:21:
Everyone knew from day 1 that KotoR2 was going to come out for Christmas 2004. Every fan of the series knew it, every media outlet knew it, every retailer knew it, lucasarts knew it. So you can be fairly certain that Obsidian knew it too. They got too ambitious with a game that they only had 12-18 months to deliver, and a result it broke down horribly near the end.

Creston

Thanks for the link. Great thread by the way, wonder how I missed it.

News Comments > Project Eternity Interview
10. Re: Project Eternity Interview Oct 22, 2012, 02:27 Yifes

Bhruic wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 01:18:
Acleacius wrote on Oct 21, 2012, 17:12:
The difference should be obvious, they are setting the time frame and budget for their own game, not a publisher. Every time, they've had to release a game early for a publisher and they've done an insane amount of work for a small budget.

We have straight from the horse's mouth that that's not true. Kotor 2 wasn't forced to be released early, they just underestimated the amount of time and effort it would take to release the game the way they envisioned it. It was Obsidian's screw-up. There's absolutely no reason to think that them setting their own schedule and budget ensures they won't have issues. Certainly they have more experience by this point, so I hope they won't have issues, but it's possible that a year and a half from now they might find they don't have enough money to fund development. And it won't be because of a publisher.

Really? Cutting a bunch of content after a hectic 18 month schedule in order to make a Christmas release date sounds pretty forced to me. I'd love to read the interview you're referring to where Obsidian admitted that they themselves planned the December launch and not Lucasarts.

News Comments > Game Reviews
9. Re: Game Reviews Oct 19, 2012, 20:03 Yifes

X-COM is amazing. Classic/ironman is kicking my ass...on my 5th attempt now. I can't believe people have beaten it on impossible/ironman already.

Dishonored? I'll check it out when it's on sale.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch
60. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 13, 2012, 02:45 Yifes

Dev wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 21:26:
Prez wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 19:50:
I especially like the Cyberdisc and its bomb-throwing animation.
I know! First time I saw it I was like "OH CRAP what's he spinning up to thro BOOOM!"
Now its "ZOMG, I hope I spread my guys out enough! OH CRA BOOM"

The spinning gives you time to ponder your doom.

Still better than having it instagib one of your units with a crit to the face. 5 damage from a grenade is relatively not bad.

45. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 20:54 Yifes

Paranoid Jack wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 20:03:
@briktal, as for 1 thru 3, where did you get the info from? I was going to start off normal too but now I wonder if I should just go Classic without the Ironman. I guess I could always be a wimp and start off Normal for the 1st play-thru, then Classic for the 2nd, and finally turn on the Ironman for the 3rd.

It's from the gameinformer interview with lead designer Jake Solomon (!spoiler warning! - they talk about a specific set piece mission, and contains concept art of advanced tech.)

Normal is going to be too easy for any X-COM vet.

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 16:40 Yifes

dj LiTh wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 15:30:
Paranoid Jack wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 15:21:
Besides me... has anyone else who has pre-purchased XCom: Enemy Unknown already started planning out their first game? What continent to build on? What approach will you take as far as research and development?

I know its too soon to get down to details like how you will level your team but I've even looked into that a bit. I'm excited to see the release so close.

I was going to chose Africa as my continent but the 30% increase in monthly pay doesn't kick in until the end of the first month in-game. So I think I will go with North America for the 50% cheaper Aircraft & Weapons. Which will allow better coverage of those nations in panic. Not sure how well it will play out over the course of the game since events are randomized. But that is the beauty of this type of game. If the basics are good the random paths to the end game make it unfold differently. And knowing there are almost three times as many maps than you will see in a play-thru will add to the tactical portion staying fresh. Plus the changing spawn locations and changing enemy types, locations, numbers... well, it is going to be a blast.

So looking forward to it.

I was going to go for europe, more countries covered at once and the research bonus. Gonna go Classic / Ironman my first playthrough...things gonna get dicey!

I'm going to go classic, but not sure about the ironman mode. The recent Machinima reivew said that there can be movement selection issues on multi-level maps. Basically, your unit can potentially end up on the wrong level, in the open without any cover. I can see myself losing a unit because of a bug like that and ruining my ironman experience. Even the devs said ironman on your first playthrough is a bad idea, and I will probably save that for when the game is a bit more polished.

Also, europe seems like a great starting spot, as getting an early workshops to launch that satellite for extra funding before the first month is up seems like a good idea.

1015 Comments. 51 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo