Real Name
Neil Martin
Nickname
Dante_uk
Email
Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Tall dark, handsome. Compulsive lair.
Day Job - Programmer( c,c++,OpenGL, 4gl).
Night - SOF2 online.
Homepage
None given.

Supporter

Signed On
November 7, 2002
Total Posts
156 (Novice)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

156 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older

Re: .....
May 20, 2005, 12:38
Re: ..... May 20, 2005, 12:38
May 20, 2005, 12:38

It's not the fact that you can exit it, it's the fact that you had to run it in the first place.

I've completely stop playing HL2 because I got fed up waiting for steam to load, update it's crap, update HL2, then finally give me a game menu to choose HL2 from, then I click that and wait further ten minutes for HL2 to load.
I calculated that I spend more time waiting for steam and waiting for HL2 than actual time playing the game.

If I go home tonight and click on steam I know there have been at least 2 updates since I last ran it so I know it will take over 20mins from clicking icon to finally seeing the HL2 game menu.

Not acceptable.

NOTE: I have 1gb of memory, 2.4ghz processor and an ADSL internet connection. Not other game I play causes me any where close the annoyance levels the steam+hl2 do.

Next time I'm short of disk space - HL2 and Steam goes!! and it will never return to my machine again.

Re: More Background Processes?
May 20, 2005, 11:50
Re: More Background Processes? May 20, 2005, 11:50
May 20, 2005, 11:50

What a shame, and I was thinking of getting this game too.
If xStream is anywhere near as bad as steam then I won't be touching it.

Re: Steam'd again.
May 6, 2005, 14:13
Re: Steam'd again. May 6, 2005, 14:13
May 6, 2005, 14:13

2.51% of steam users now constitutes a majority? 15% if you assume all the "unspecified" are 56k and include everone below 56k

That doesn't surprise me. If I only had a 56k connection and I knew all about steam and it's updates, I wouldn't have bought the game and wouldn't show up as a static on the steam stats page.

2:45min from double clikcing steam till got my list of games. What really don't understand is why people defend it. It's like defending IExplore when it's slow, bug ridden and insecure. What are people trying to prove? that they accept lower standards? bad coding? closed standards that serve only the software houses that invent them?

Steam'd again.
May 6, 2005, 11:51
Steam'd again. May 6, 2005, 11:51
May 6, 2005, 11:51

So once again the casual gamer has to sit though another steam update(that most average gamer don't care about) if they want a quick game of HL2.

Choice is a wonderful thing - unless you use Steam that is.

Heaven help the 56k majority.

I've already spent more time looking that steam update progress bar and the HL2 loading screens than I actually did completing the game, I have broadband!!

Still the Valve fanboys will bend over and take it with a smile on there face

Re: No subject
Apr 6, 2005, 14:18
Re: No subject Apr 6, 2005, 14:18
Apr 6, 2005, 14:18

Human, you are entitled to you're opinion.
You can believe one set of evidence or the other. Most explanations to convince people the pictures are not fake are plausible but don't eliminate the possiblity that they ARE faked.

Still it was an interesting read.

Apr 6, 2005, 10:58
Re: No subject Apr 6, 2005, 10:58
Apr 6, 2005, 10:58

The moon landing only looks fake if you look at those photos with the shadows and stuff in the wrong place, and bits of terrain that stand out in to two pictures but have a lander in a different position ( which is impossible because the lander wasn't movable, accept for takeoff of cause ).
So if you ignore the official NASA photos then it must have been real because the US goverment told the world it was

So it took 7 years to get a man on the moon ( illegible ) and 7 years(and counting) to make DNF ( illegible ), I'm sure it will come out in my lifetime and I'll have a machine worthy to play it on by then, with dual P8 10Ghz processors, 256GB memory and 2 SLI Geforce 9000Ultra-Elite Addition with 4GB of memory each and liquid nitrgen cooling system, not forgetting of couse my trusty old SoundBlaster Live. Of course the issue maybe my 10terabytes of disk space won't be enough.

Re: Common Sense Award for Posting
Feb 9, 2005, 04:40
Re: Common Sense Award for Posting Feb 9, 2005, 04:40
Feb 9, 2005, 04:40

Where do I get to choose what files, maps and models I have? -dante_uk

You don't. And that's the point.

If I wanted to make all my models bright pink so they would easier for me to see everyone else while I'm playing or make all the textures see-through so I would know where everyone was, it wouldn't be very fair for everyone else playing online, now would it?
- Tigger

You missed my point. If I download CUSTOM maps or models or even valve bonus stuff. I should be able to remove those items and clean up stuff I don't want anymore when I run low on disk space. Steam's private filesystem doesn't give me ( the end used ) any control over where or how big or what is stored in those massive files.
If I download a custom map for CoD and deside it's crap I just delete the .pk3 file, simple.

Yes I'm running using Windows, and no I'm not using IE ( I use Firefox and Thunderbird ) I'm also behind a hardware firewall. As far as I'm concerned steam is a back door to my machine and security risk. When all is said and done HL2 is a computer game, it's suppose to be fun, install, play, enjoy, uninstall(or not). Steam sucked all the enjoyment out of installing and playing HL2.
One part of me just wants to forget about steam and get on with my life. The other part of me wants to make sure that every game publisher out there knows that steam seriously pisses people off, because otherwise we could end up with more steam like programs being used. Wasting bandwidth, memory, processor time and just as importantly wasting my time.

If I want to spend an hour or so playing a computer game then I don't want to spend 15-20 mins beating steam into submission first(offline mode or waiting on the latest fixes to download).

If valve release HL3 and it requires steam I won't buy it.
If valve release HL3 with no steam requirement I'll buy it.
If anyone releases any game with a steam (or steam clone) requirement I will not buy it.

If steam ( and steam clones ) become the norm, then I'll give up on PC gaming and buy a console.

Re: Common Sense Award for Posting
Feb 8, 2005, 04:56
Re: Common Sense Award for Posting Feb 8, 2005, 04:56
Feb 8, 2005, 04:56

The biggest victom in all this is the hard drive used to store this thread on.

What about the hard drive that steam writes to?
Where do I get to choose what files, maps and models I have?
Most games directories become quite big and as I download extra content and custom maps. When I get bored with them I save then to CD and delete them.
Steam locks everything down inside it's own virtual harddrives ( those massive files in the steam game directory ). You have no idea what is where and have no control over their size or location. You can't safely delete one because you don't know if it holds a file that's needed by something else.

Steam is all about giving Valve total control over their game on your machine. They have the power to update it, lock it, delete it, fuck it up completely, make their files grow until you run out of disk space and if it's your system disk you may end up screwed because your machine won't reboot.

You steam fans bent over and said 'take me, I'm yours' when you clicked next on that EULA. Valve has no responsibility over what they download to your machine or the effect of that download.

Steam is so close to Spyware there is no point discussing it.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&oi=defmore&q=define:Spyware

And as for calling it MalWare, it could be, if steam is ever hacked ( Valve don't have a good record on security ) then all you suckers sucking on valves steam pipe will find out exactly what malware can do.

Steam is a back door to your computer and you're all trusting Valve with the key. I pity you for being so naive, and for wanting this as the future for gaming on the PC I damn you.

If Steam doesn't die the horrible death it deserves then I think more and more people will switch to consoles for gaming. I use my computer for more than just games and I value my security and don't trust any software house enough to give them a back door onto 'MY' computer.

Re: steam
Feb 7, 2005, 15:50
Re: steam Feb 7, 2005, 15:50
Feb 7, 2005, 15:50

Valve have some very talented game designers, artists and a few decent programmers. Unfortunately none of the them have anything to do with steam.

Steam is an example of a good idea gone bad. It doesn't work right, it doesn't work well and it pisses people off.
Primary goal was to stop pirates, it failed.
Secondary goal was to be able to stop cheats, after the 50,000+ people have been banned is there anyone left playing CS ?

Obviously valve have no confidence in it's programmers so they have a system where they can patch the game(and the patches) as offen as they like and give the average customer no control or say in the matter.
I fired HL2 for the first time in about a month the other day and buy the time steam had loaded,connected,patched itself and patched HL2, I was too tired and pissed off to bother playing it.
Even if a game takes a long time to install/validate and setup, at least the headache is only once, steam means we get those hassles and delays everytime we try and play.

Typical id engine game(q3,RtCW,CoD,MoH,ST:EF,ST EF2,SOF2,D3):
Install - Play -Enjoy (within 20mins)
A month or 2 later download a patch (usually with extra maps) play some more and have fun, end of story.
I've never 'needed' to downloaded a patch for any game before, because I've hit a problem and needed a fix.
Sure, all game have issue and small bugs that affect some people. I've been lucky.

HL2:1+hours to install and play, stuttered badly, crashed to desktop a couple of times during play.
I'll not even bother mentioning all the problems and hassles with steam and cdkeys.

Re: Translation
Dec 15, 2004, 05:04
Re: Translation Dec 15, 2004, 05:04
Dec 15, 2004, 05:04

id will get their licensing money up-front, and I doubt they are crazy enough to invest in this thing. Todd H. will be laughing all the way to the bank.

I doubt id will be laughing much. Someone takes their game and makes a completely different film, then stick their name of it.
The fans hate it. id will get a lot of flak of this because they shouldn't have signed off for some a-hole to rewrite the whole DooM premise.

Basically I'll wait the short time span till this film turns up in the baginbin at my local supermarket.

If you're a DooM fan or even a computer games fan - Don't pay to see this film. You're only hurting the changes of Hollywood ever making a decent film based on a game. It's not really happened yet and it won't while screenwriters can change fundemental aspects and get away with it.

No subject
Dec 7, 2004, 11:21
No subject Dec 7, 2004, 11:21
Dec 7, 2004, 11:21

Wow MS really do what to re-write the rule books don't they.

Actually 4 blocks of 3 would have been a good idea 5/10 years ago, but it's too late to change something so basic.

The idea is the keys either side of the gap(F4/F5, F8/F9) are easier to hit so are given more common uses.

That's why a lot of old systems used either F5 or F9 as an accept key for record entry ( this is before MS-Windows ).

Now you have a completey new set of easy to hit F keys. No good for blind people to use or people using old systems that still use F5 a lot, now this key is in the middle of a block.

What story?
Dec 3, 2004, 08:30
What story? Dec 3, 2004, 08:30
Dec 3, 2004, 08:30

I know the game had a context ( sort of ) ie you don't know where you or where going or why 95% of the time. Some people are shooting at you so you return fire or run, other people 'talk' to you from time to time.
I guess the story is that bit off dialog in the lab at the beginning and that bit at about 60% though ( in a different lab ).

To be honest I was clueless to any big plot lines for 95% of the time, too busy running, shooting and drving the vehicles.

I guess one major problem is a story normally has a beginning middle and end ( not alway in that order ). HL2 had no real beginning ( my fault for getting bored and not finishing HL1 ? ) and no ending ( it's like here's a wonderful scene and we pause it...... Now, now you guess what happened next or just forget and wait for HL3 - Yet another nod to the Matrix films ).

I DID enjoy the game but for me the best thing about the whole game was it's use the Havok physics engine, it's nice to see what that thing can really do. Having said even that has some major holes, eg pick up body with grav gun and shake, it seems that none of the bodies actually have any bones to restrict movement. Unlike the home grown physics engine in another top shooter recently released.

The gfx are nothing special, nothing new and already look dated to me.

This game WAS very fun to play through and I will properly play through it again, once I find a 'no steam & no cd' hack. I really hate steam and having to stick my DVD in the drive AND run steam to play this sucks big time.

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 09:16.

FAQ of questions Valve won't answer.
Nov 26, 2004, 08:38
FAQ of questions Valve won't answer. Nov 26, 2004, 08:38
Nov 26, 2004, 08:38

Why do I need to run steam for a single player game?
Because we said so and so if you ever cheat us in any way we can stop you playing ALL your steam games.

Why can't I simply run in offline mode without unplugging my cable?
Because we don't want you to.

Why does steam still try and connect again after you click on the 'Offline mode' button before launching HL2?
Just double checking you don't have a connection, because we really want to phone home.

Why does steam need over 24mb of memory when it's not doing anything?
Not telling you.

Why does steam sometimes tell me it's updating platforms?
Because we've change/fixed something - no we're not telling you what exactly we changed or what we've updated.

Official Answer for last update: November 23, 2004, 6:33 pm · valve

A platform update is available and will be applied automatically when Steam is restarted. The change includes:
* No longer require "remember password" to be checked to play offline

Why does steam sometimes fail to connect/login and why does this stop me playing the game I paid for?
Because are servers screw up sometimes, so tough, it's not your game it's ours and we make the rules.

Steam banned me...
You, or someone on your computer, or someone who got lucky with a key generater - used a stolen key or your copy of steam

hipcupped at the wrong moment. Possible you passed wind during the signin and steam took it personally. Solution:
Join the queue, take a support ticket and please be patient, 20,000 people ahead of you in the queue.

Why wasn't my DVD case clearly marked with "Steam account & Internet Access required to play this Single Player Game" ?
Because you properly wouldn't have bought it, and if you only have dialup or no access then you surely wouldn't have bought it.

How can I sell my copy of HL2
Sorry, steam is for life, not just Christmas.

Is the EULA Legal?
It's in writing and if you installed steam you agreed to it. By the way did you notice the small print, it says we also now own your soul.

Is steam REALLY needed to play HL2
Yes, it's built right into the core of the game and it can't possible be removed.
If you don't believe me, see the question below.

Why did it take 6 years to write HL2
Because we had to keep signing into steam and waiting for it load before we could test anything!!

It seems the same question keep coming up on the steam forums and they never really get answered. Plus the search features is

disabled most of the time ( because too many people asking the same questions ).
A sensible answer would be to post an FAQ at the top of the forum?
I posted this FAQ in the hopes to inspire some common sense. to get some real answers posted in a official FAQ. Needless to say

that didn't happen and the thread was closed.

I guess truthful answers would hurt more than help valve.
This comment was edited on Nov 26, 08:41.

Re: Info from Valve?
Nov 26, 2004, 07:52
Re: Info from Valve? Nov 26, 2004, 07:52
Nov 26, 2004, 07:52

It has? The UK retail DVD (it's DVD only in the UK, I think) only had a reference card with controls and a fairly unsatisfactory installation guide.

Yep, the UK DVD has a single sheet that is worthless. ( since I don't use the default keys ).

The box also doesn't point that internet connection is required for installion and it doesn't mention steam at all.

If it had said "Steam Account and Internet access required to install and play this Single player game" then I simply would not have bought it.

I hate steam and I'm not alone in that, but valve don't care, they get to use it to blame all those stupid enough to try credit card fraud though it.

Insert DVD, hit install
1 hour 20mins later and a reboot, now I can finally play HL2.

To play in offline mode:
unplug cable to router.
Insert DVD in driver ( Why FFS!! )
double click icon for hl2...
(Go in kitchen put on kettle)
Steam window 'trying to sign in...'
'no connection do you want to play in offline mode' - Yes!!!!
(Go back in kitchen prepare cut with coffee)
steam window 'trying to sign in...' why!!!!!!
steam window 'preparing to play HL2...'
Eventully valve splash screen.
(Go back in kitchen pour boilled water into cup.)
Finally HL2 Menus.
(Sip coffee and click on load game)
(return to kitchen to get bisuits)
(sit back and computer and eat biscuit)
GAME ON!!!

Now can someone explain how steam is progress?

My machine: 2.2ghz with 1gb of memory so it's not exactly slow.

This comment was edited on Nov 26, 07:54.

Re: I like surprises....
Nov 25, 2004, 17:44
Re: I like surprises.... Nov 25, 2004, 17:44
Nov 25, 2004, 17:44

"surprise for the community"

They are to start charging a monthly fee to use Steam.
You've paid your money for HL2 and got Steam. Welcome to their world, they make the rules and can change them at will.
You have a licence to play to HL2 under their teams and when they decide.

Welcome to their world, welcome to Steam.

GOTY & WORST GAME OF YEAR.
Nov 23, 2004, 09:37
GOTY & WORST GAME OF YEAR. Nov 23, 2004, 09:37
Nov 23, 2004, 09:37

Love & Hate
Good & Evil
HL2 & Steam

You just can't have one without the other.

Re: Doom3
Nov 19, 2004, 15:23
Re: Doom3 Nov 19, 2004, 15:23
Nov 19, 2004, 15:23

The Physics engine in HL2 is really the crown jewel of the game.

Yes but valve don't write the physics engine, it's havoks, valve just did a very good job of implementing it.

Re: Keep it up!
Nov 19, 2004, 04:55
Re: Keep it up! Nov 19, 2004, 04:55
Nov 19, 2004, 04:55

Only took 1 hour from inserting DVD in driver to see HL2 menus. Wow I must be lucky.

Now I'll have to read 24 pages of crap to see if anyones found a way to run this thing without steam, or at least in offline mode.

Why the F*#k does steam.exe need 24mb of memory when it's just sitting in my systray ?

HL2 - impressions.
So far not bad, but... Every time it starts to get good and tentsion is building and I'm lost in the game world 'Loading...'. That sucks, this has to have some of the worst placed level transitions ever.

As doom3 fanboy I'd like to flamebait by saying that the gfx are not impressive at all. Some of those under ground sewer areas are very well lit, as in lots of light and no light sources to be seen. Does Gordons suit mean he can see perfect daylight all the time? even underground and in tunnels?
As we all know from the HL2 movies and screenshots, the lighting sucks. Now I've see in the final version it's true.

The most impressive thing so far in the havoc physics engine ( not even got the gravity gun yet!! ). My hats off to the havoc guys, and to valve to implementing it so well into the game world. All the floating stuff and puzzles are great.

Maybe the next id game will have more physics stuff, obviously they didn't have too much time with D3 because they also wrote their own physics engine from scratch, which must have taken a while, valve just bought theirs.

HL2 & D3 are two very different game and should not be compared( like I did ). I loved D3 and I'm enjoying HL2, so far...

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 05:47.

Still worried.
Nov 9, 2004, 07:58
Still worried. Nov 9, 2004, 07:58
Nov 9, 2004, 07:58

"Almost three quarters of the American population literally believe in religious miracles. The numbers who believe in the devil, in resurrection, in God doing this and that -- it's astonishing. These numbers aren't duplicated anywhere else in the industrial world. You'd have to maybe go to mosques in Iran or do a poll among old ladies in Sicily to get numbers like this. Yet this is the American population."

- Noam Chomsky

Finally an explanation for re-electing Bush.
What if Santa Claus had been running for the post or maybe the tooth fairy?

As someone not living in the USA, I've been worried for the past 4 years that someone with such obviously limited mental powers has his finger on the button that could destroy the planet (I know the US is more subtle than that and has been destroying the planet for decades with it's pollution, greenhouse gases and MacDonald’s). Now I have another 4 years for worry about whether the planet will still be here for kids to have kids.

Someone tell me, who pulls Bush's strings? Who writes of the words that come out his month in public (the words that actually exist that is and make sense)?

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 08:00.

Nov 8, 2004, 11:11
Re: No subject Nov 8, 2004, 11:11
Nov 8, 2004, 11:11

Wow, there are people still using Outlook!!

I guess it keeps the virus writers happy, like all those suckers still using IE.

I'd recommend upgrading to a Mozilla product.

156 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older