Real Name
Neil Martin
Nickname
Dante_uk
Email
Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Tall dark, handsome. Compulsive lair.
Day Job - Programmer( c,c++,OpenGL, 4gl).
Night - SOF2 online.
Homepage
None given.

Supporter

Signed On
November 7, 2002
Total Posts
156 (Novice)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

156 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older

missed boat.
Apr 21, 2006, 07:42
missed boat. Apr 21, 2006, 07:42
Apr 21, 2006, 07:42

I also have a transparent windows, on my Suse 10.1 Linux install. Very nice but pointless. Still at least I can tell which window is on top(in focus) unlike the Vista's new windows.

I tried one of the Vista builds for a while. Hated it. Back to WinXP and Suse 10.1.
Even my 11 year old daughter is using Suse 10.1 now for playing games, chatting in aMSN, browsing web, playing music etc and she has a choice because the machine is dual boot and all the music is available to both OS's. She prefers the desktop with flashy transparent menus and windows

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 07:43.

Amazon.co.uk DNF
Apr 14, 2006, 20:34
Amazon.co.uk DNF Apr 14, 2006, 20:34
Apr 14, 2006, 20:34

Anyone else got a mail from Amazon, advertising DNF ?

"Our Price: £24.99
You Save: £10.00 (28%)

This item will be released on September 29, 2006. You may order it now and we will dispatch it to you when we receive it from our supplier. Please note that release dates are subject to change."

Pre-Order Now and think of it as an investment for your children to enjoy when it finally ships.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005NCEZ/qid=1145061008/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_11_1/026-2457535-3531652

No subject
Apr 14, 2006, 07:13
No subject Apr 14, 2006, 07:13
Apr 14, 2006, 07:13

Question of the day:
How many viruses, worms, security holes, security patches, crashs, corrupted mail boxes, lost mails, lost settings. etc etc... Does it take before a sane person stops using Outlook?

Tip:
If you're reading this using IE then you're not a sane person and don't count!

Re: Maybe this is a cunning attempt
Apr 13, 2006, 13:06
Re: Maybe this is a cunning attempt Apr 13, 2006, 13:06
Apr 13, 2006, 13:06

"I heard Derek Smart is working on this game, it's gonna have StarForce in it, it's gonna be distributed by Steam in episodic form, and there's a level which shows George W Bush is the best president evar!!1one."

You forgot to mention:
It will be available in retail, on 24CD's (no DVD version).
Require Internet Access to Play SinglePlayer game.
Only available on M$ Vista using DirectX 10.
Server for Multiplayer requires IIS to be installed.
Game Browsers using IE via ActiveX.
EULA will clearing state: "if you are read this then you deserve all the sh*t you're going to get and 3DRealms is in no way responsible for anything on this or any other known planet."

No subject
Apr 12, 2006, 08:42
No subject Apr 12, 2006, 08:42
Apr 12, 2006, 08:42

I can't find the link now but yes Opera is faster than IE and FF.

FF is faster at rendering some things than IE.

Thanks to AdBlock in FF I find the main sites I visit are faster in FF because I've blocked all the annoying adverts. Including ugo adverts on this site.

Tabs+AdBlock+MouseGestures = faster browsing for me. Plus more secure.

Re: Browser Flaw
Apr 11, 2006, 12:05
Re: Browser Flaw Apr 11, 2006, 12:05
Apr 11, 2006, 12:05

Here's an idea. Instead of complaining about having to wait to go and download a patch to fix a constantly broken and insecure web broswer, why not download a faster and more secure web browser now:
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/
or
http://www.opera.com/

Simple, problem solved.

It means...
Apr 3, 2006, 08:11
It means... Apr 3, 2006, 08:11
Apr 3, 2006, 08:11

Answer 1)
The software will be tied to M$ forever and never work on anything but.
It will be closed standard, closed source and cost money.

It means you will proberly find an open source equivalent for free that works cross platform and does the job and uses all open standards.

Answer 2)
It will run on Vista, but if it's not M$ or it's not by an M$ Partner then it will run like a dog.

Re: No subject
Mar 29, 2006, 07:22
Re: No subject Mar 29, 2006, 07:22
Mar 29, 2006, 07:22

Dear Mr Troll ( War )

I'm not whining or meaning. I'm virus free, no malware, no spyware, no adware. No list of 50+ processes running in my taskmanager doing christ knows what.

I'm happy and secure.

It's very easy. Just find iexplore.exe and remove execute permissions from it. Then install one of the many better and more secure browsers.
Firefox and Opera are both faster, more feature rich and so much more secure.

My laptop for work and my gaming machine are both Windows XP, all my other machines at home and work are all runnnig Linux so I don't worry too much about them.

Like the previous poster I manage a work network. It's quite simple, all machines have to be the following:
Linux
Windows - Running:
Anti-Virsus
Firewall
Firefox / Opera

I added some shtml tags to our Intranet to report to me if anyone accesses it using IE. Then I go visit them and give them a talking to.

PS: Obviously Outlook and Outlook Express is also banned from the office. ( I assume no one needs to ask why )

This comment was edited on Mar 29, 07:46.

Steam Required?
Mar 27, 2006, 04:47
Steam Required? Mar 27, 2006, 04:47
Mar 27, 2006, 04:47

Sorry Valve, not keen on the idea of steam, hated the practice of it even more. I've un-installed it now.
I'll never re-install it.
I'll never buy another product(by any one) that requires it.

Forever and ever amen.
Mar 21, 2006, 10:45
Forever and ever amen. Mar 21, 2006, 10:45
Mar 21, 2006, 10:45

At least when someone asks you "whats longer than forever" we now have an answer. DNF2!!

Prey looks pretty stunning to me, a few things never really seen in a FPS before like the moving variable portals and the walkways with different gravity directions.
Those features alone will make for some interesting game play twists.

Jan 18, 2006, 13:02
Re: No subject Jan 18, 2006, 13:02
Jan 18, 2006, 13:02

I don't have any machines that meets the min reqs for running this.
I Need: 256MB Dx9 video & 1GB ram 2.5Ghz CPU
I Have: 128MB Dx9 video & 1GB ram 2.2Ghz CPU

I have no interest away after seeing how BAD the previous version 'Battle of Praticon'(whatever) ran and much better Doom3 & Quake4 looked and ran. Hardly a good representive of gameplay engines for that generation of hardware.

Re: Good Game
Oct 30, 2005, 15:52
Re: Good Game Oct 30, 2005, 15:52
Oct 30, 2005, 15:52

I've completed and enjoy Quake4, I enjoyed Doom3 and think Quake4 took the engine and game play and improved on it.

Just started FEAR, I'm surprised it looks so average conciding how badly it runs.
Quake4 I played at 1024x768 on my GF5900.
FEAR is running badly at 800x600 and doesn't look anywhere near as good.

So far, FEAR is very average waiting for it to get interesting.

Great news.
Oct 20, 2005, 11:06
Great news. Oct 20, 2005, 11:06
Oct 20, 2005, 11:06

Us non-M$ whores can enjoy this game too.

Looking forward to it.
Oct 4, 2005, 07:58
Looking forward to it. Oct 4, 2005, 07:58
Oct 4, 2005, 07:58

I guess I'm one of the rare few that thought that Doom3 looked great(much better indoor graphics than any other game I've seen) played great, solid bug free bug hunt and had the best atmosphere in a game I've every felt. It made playing HL2 seem very flat, plain and uninteresting.

I still play SOF2 a lot online and I've enjoyed other Raven games. I think this could be their best game yet.

It's amazing to see so many people knock this game (read first couple of posts) when they clearly have no idea about it and as there is no demo yet it's plain 'id bashing' or Trolling on their part.

Now come the 18th or the demo is released, THEN we MIGHT see some proper comments, actually based on real dislikes and faults in the game.

No subject
Sep 22, 2005, 10:07
No subject Sep 22, 2005, 10:07
Sep 22, 2005, 10:07

so long to summer 06, one of the hottest I can recall in some time.

Don't worry it's nothing to do with that myth, you know the one, the one everyone outside the good ol' US is worrying about, Global Warming.
It's also not to blame for the more freaky weather and storms you seem to be getting.

So keep driving your massive gas guzzeling cars and burning down the forests for grazing land for the McDonalds burgers.

Day After Tomorrow was just a film, pure fantansy.

Ice caps won't melt in your life time so why worry? ( unless you actually give a damn about your children, because it'll be too late for them to do anything about it ).

Nothing personal, we are all to blame.

WTF
Sep 22, 2005, 09:49
WTF Sep 22, 2005, 09:49
Sep 22, 2005, 09:49

High res textures, high poly models, flashy Next Generation shader effects.
I thought that was what HL2 was suppose to have had anyway.
Instead it looked no better than most of the other FPS games.
The only vaguely interesting thing was the amount of use of the 3rd party physics engine.
The rest of the game was so so.
A couple of scences(ones with water) looked cool from curtain angles.

I wonder if the lost coast is going to have normal mapping that we can actually see.
At least in Doom3 every single wall/object/model etc had a normal map and you could really see the difference, even from static lights. ( try setting r_skipBump 1 and r_skipSpecular 1 you'll see exactly how much effort went into the 4 textures required for every single surface in the game ) HL2 had a mixture textures qualities that leaves it looking very flat and dull. No better than say, Max Payne.

Anyway, looks like LC won't be playable on my GF5900 anyone so don't have to bother loading Steam again to get at it.

Aug 20, 2005, 11:21
Re: No subject Aug 20, 2005, 11:21
Aug 20, 2005, 11:21

No Carmack is not noted for sloppy programming.
He's noted and respected for writting the best graphics engines around. Sloppy coding would not make a fast and flashy renderer.

Anyone wanting to know how to write a 3d game engine has the perfect place to look now.

This source code is how it should be done.

I look forward to talented people picking this up and extending it and adding new features like normal mapping etc.
This comment was edited on Aug 20, 11:24.

Steam(ing pile...)
Jul 5, 2005, 08:28
Steam(ing pile...) Jul 5, 2005, 08:28
Jul 5, 2005, 08:28

Having read the various pros and cons and having sat though countless "steam updates" my view has not changed.
It's crap, it's badly written, it's evasive, it's unfriendly, it's unproductive and for me just wanting a quick game of HL2 (SP) it's a complete waste of my time and resources.

HL2
30min: drive to shop, buy HL2 DVD, drive home
10min: install from files from DVD,
59min: from end of dvd install to start menu.

Doom3
30min: drive to shop, buy HL2 DVD, drive home
12min: install from files from 3 CDs,
1min: from end of dvd install to start menu.

Now tell me steam is progress, the future of games and tell why I should be happy about that.
Did HL2 work better? NO did it cost less? NO Does steam give me anything I need? NO

So the Steam fans downloaded HL2 over a period of time before release date and managed to activate it and play it on the release date without leaving their sad little bedrooms. Well so what.
I'm sure a lot of people pre-ordered it and got it on the release date too. Big deal. Get over it.

I've spent almost as much time looking at the steam screen as I did completing HL2( and I have an ADSL connection, god help dial up people of whom there are 1000s left in the UK).

When steam actually does something useful for ME to justify it's existance I might look at it again. Till then I'm not touching it and will not buy nothing that requires it.

May 21, 2005, 17:50
Re: No subject May 21, 2005, 17:50
May 21, 2005, 17:50

Dante_uk, you are a first-class moron. Why in god's name would you prefer one 'largish patch' fixing more bugs rather than a steadier stream of smaller bug fixes? Oh, that's right, you don't know either, do you? You just said it to bitch.

There's just no way Valve can win with people like you whinging every 5 minutes about every single thing they do. If they release one big patch, IT TAKES LONGER to update the game and you bitch about it. If they release little patches that fix things incrementally, then you STILL bitch for no reason.

I prefer one big(ish) patch than lots of little ones because when I get home from work I like to relax and play a game for a 30mins or an hour. With HL2 that's not been possible because every time I load it I have to wait for some update or another that I don't want and proberly don't need.
The solutions the valve fanboys cry are simple, turn off automatic dates or use offline mode.
Auto updates: one of the first things I did when I got steam was turn off the auto-updates, it didn't work I still had to sit through an update the next time I tried to play. Maybe it's a problem that's been fixed in one of the many updates. I'm past of the point of caring enough to find out.
Offline: Again when I first looked for offline mode it didn't exist unless you disabled networking in Windows or physically unplug the network cable, even it takes a couple of minutes to detect is doesn't have a connection. Why the fuck should I have to do that just to play a quick game of HL2. ( don't play CS, too many kiddies ). again maybe this is fixed now and there may actually be a real offline option.

Why, as I've obviously stopped bothering with steam do i still moan and bitch about it?
Simple I don't want any more games fucked by being tied to steam.
I'm not against online authentication( once during install, or at least silent and built into the game so you don't notice it ).

I wouldn't moan about one big patch because I'd download when and if I choose and install it when I want do.

You fanboys seem to like steam, well good for you, that's your choice. I hate the problems it causes, I hate EULA that comes with it. I think as a concept it has some plus points and some negative points, the way valve have executed the idea it's Fucked. They forgot the one thing that true individuals value - Choice.

Wouldn't have mattered if HL2 was give away free...they still would have bitched.
True, but only they'd included the steam requirement. Aside from the long times I enjoyed HL2, that's another reason to bitch about steam, without steam I'd have enjoyed HL2 and forgotten about it, like FarCry. Complete game, replay fav bits, forget it for a year, replay. Steam means I've got seriously pissed off when I just wanted to jump in and replay a fav bit. So screw steam and screw Valve. Without steam I ( and many like me ) would NOT be bitching here today.

May 20, 2005, 19:41
Re: No subject May 20, 2005, 19:41
May 20, 2005, 19:41

I've never thought a change to a program I'm running should be "invisible".
I like to know what's changed and preferable, why?

Steam is great for Valve, you fanboys make great beta testers, you bend over and take any update steam throws at you, if it screws up somethng, then you're HAPPY that Valve can rollback the change.

Personally I'd rather have a one largish patch fixing x number of bugs that's been tested properly than have the almost weekly fixes that Valve seem to need to make.

156 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older