Real Name
Neil Martin
Nickname
Dante_uk
Email
Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Tall dark, handsome. Compulsive lair.
Day Job - Programmer( c,c++,OpenGL, 4gl).
Night - SOF2 online.
Homepage
None given.

Supporter

Signed On
November 7, 2002
Total Posts
156 (Novice)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

156 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 6.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older

OpenGL
Sep 29, 2004, 11:34
OpenGL Sep 29, 2004, 11:34
Sep 29, 2004, 11:34

So this can tell me how slow DirectX on my Windozes partition.
Wow - how very useful. Since the engines that drive those demos are never going to appear in any games then it's meaningless.

Every game engine developer should have a basic downloadable benchmark program to demo all the features of their engine and give an average FPS score. Most already do. So what we need a simple program that can be configured to run each demo unattended and just output a text file at the end with a list of scores per engine.

3DMark is beyond useless to my because nearly all the games I'm playing these days are OpenGL. So if upgrade something I need to compare Opengl performance and that can be very different from DirectX performance depending on GFX card and the Driver.

This comment was edited on Sep 29, 11:35.

Re:
Sep 29, 2004, 11:13
Re: Sep 29, 2004, 11:13
Sep 29, 2004, 11:13

I guess I should have qualified that by saying that I had about as much fun with Doom3 as with 3dMark2003

If you don't like walking around shooting demons than why buy Doom3? I never liked 3dMark2003, I could never get the hang of the keys and plot was seriously screwed

Re: No subject
Sep 29, 2004, 11:09
Re: No subject Sep 29, 2004, 11:09
Sep 29, 2004, 11:09

Bashing is warranted in this case given the fact that gameplay is non-existant and the engine is more of a tech-demo than anything else.

This game also puts the nail in the coffin for SINGLE PLAYER GAMES MADE BY ID!!! They are still in the Kommander Keen days of gameplay. HAS CARMACK even played of the modern [1999 and above] games to see how far the single-player experience has progressed.

I don't remember the original Doom being bashed for 'no gameplay' and as this is a remake that has added features and story ( namely pda's scripted events, npc's ).

I wish people would stop blaming Carmack for gameplay issues. Carmack writes the 'Engine' other programmers and artists add the gameplay and assets to the product.

Maybe we need a list of gameplay & engine features that a top FPS game should have now?

Gameplay:
[x] Guns.
[x] Something to shot at.
[x] A plot with some story events.
[x] Reasonable AI.
[x] Some simple puzzles along the way ( no jumping ones!! )
[x] Indoor and outdoor levels (I know D3 as very little outdoor areas)
[ ] Vehicles - some driving/flying around to save walking.
( technically vehicles somefar have been 3rd person )
[ ] Maps with more than one way to reach target/objective.
[ ] Multiple non-order depend objectives per map.
[ ] Viable stealth alternative to some objectives
( is that still a FPS if you don't need to shoot? )

Engine features:
[x] Realtime lighting
[x] Realtime shadows
[x] Realtime video playback in game world
[x] Interactive gui's / computer teriminals in game world
[x] Shader support
[x] Surround sound
[x] A Physics engine with ragdolls
[x] Vehicle support
[x] Support for scripted events
[ ] Support for large open area ( not seen in D3 yet but maybe possible )

Only game that comes close to all of those features is FarCry and it's enging doesn't have the first 4 engine features I listed. Infact I don't remember it having any puzzles either - just run a gun most of the time.

COME ON people - Think of more gameplay features a good FPS shooter should have, you MUST know them or you wouldn't be complaining so loudly that they are missing.

Quake IV looks prmosing from the early screenshots.

I'm still waiting to see something in HL2 that hasn't already been done or seen. ( Gravity gun has been done before. In fact there's a mod in beta for a gravity gun in Doom3 ).

id remained true to their design spec - remake Doom - now if that's not what you want then don't buy it.

Sep 29, 2004, 08:23
Re: No subject Sep 29, 2004, 08:23
Sep 29, 2004, 08:23

my opinion that the atmosphere of Doom 3 was built on a gimmick and quickly faded from popularity

Funny I thought that Doom3's atmosphere was built a stunning new game engine with realtime lighting and shadows. I'm sure John Carmack will love to hear the result of a couple of year reseach and hard work discribed as a 'gimmick'

I await with interest to see 'space captain' produce something new and inventive and not just a gimmick.

Your sig is original ( I think ) but then it doesn't seem to make any actual sense. I suspect I don't read the right comics. I did do a quick google seach for JHVH-1, I think the first result was the most apt: http://sensibleerection.com/profile.php/6833

Re:
Sep 29, 2004, 06:12
Re: Sep 29, 2004, 06:12
Sep 29, 2004, 06:12

Doom was the tech demo I was hoping it would be. Now, if only HL2 can come out and make counterstrike players upgrade, then maybe some good games will come out...

I'd say Doom3 was a lot more than a tech demo. Quake3 was much closer to a tech demo.
On the other hand so far HL2 is ONLY a tech demo and it's not even that impressive. So it supports shaders, wow, big deal, it's got nice water( like FarCry has ). Doom3 supports shaders and custom shaders too, people are already writing custom shaders for nice water effects and 'Stargate' type effects.
From recent news items it sounds like CS:Source is now running much better on old hardware. This is not surprising because my first impression of CS:Source screenshots was some idiot had posted the old original screenshots! when I looked closed I noticed the model detail was higher and texture quaulity was up too. But improving support for old cards does not help the industry to grow, it just holds it back even more.

I agree with your point though. It's time to drop support for at least anything less then PS 1.3 or better yet PS 2.0

id dropped support for Win98 etc which is about bloody time.
Deus Ex 2 only supported Dx8.1 or above but then had a crap engine that made you wonder where all the pixel shaders were because it look bland to me, certaining not a reason for new Gfx card.

The most impressive graphics feature now is realtime lighting & real shadows(as opposed to a single player shadow that seems to be cast by no visible light). Everything else is (almost) just eyecandy and doesn't actually add much to the game.

Re: Still playing D3
Sep 29, 2004, 05:38
Re: Still playing D3 Sep 29, 2004, 05:38
Sep 29, 2004, 05:38

Pretty easy to answer. How about battery power? That way you can force dark gameplay in the areas you want the player to be scared and then place betteries in areas you want the player to not be annoyed.

Doesn't answer the questions of how and where the flashlight is attached or always on?

The other thing is how many people would complain like hell ( or as much as they already do! ) if the flashlight battery ran down every x number of minutes/hours? I think that batteries to power flashlights might have evolved a bit by the time we have stations on Mars.

Then you'd get the nitpickers who complain about ammo traps etc saying "oh look, a fresh battery, obviouly the lights are about to go out again, what a surprise, shock horror! and without warning too!"

I see solid design reasons, everyone else is just afraid of the dark

Still playing D3
Sep 29, 2004, 04:57
Still playing D3 Sep 29, 2004, 04:57
Sep 29, 2004, 04:57

I've completed it twice now, once on normal and again slowly in nightmare mode.

And I'm still playing and trying out new maps and simple mods ( SDK's not out yet so what more do you expect? ).

To those that STILL complain about the flashlight:
Do you think the flashlight would be better if it attached to every weapon? or every weapon had a flashlight built into it? (including soulcube?, pistal?)
Should your marine do a little juggerling act at every weapon change to reattached flashlight or swap hands?
Do you think dark areas or unlit corners would be scary and make you walk around carefully, if everywhere you looked was lit up by your 'always' on touch, and if there was something there you just click the mouse button and boom it's gone,run to next room.
Maybe you think they shouldn't have bothered with all those dark areas so you don't need a touch. Of couse then you don't really need realtime lighting so you can go back to precompiled lightmaps like HL & HL2 and everyother game.
A flashlight only works if it doesn't just produce light but also produces new shadows for everything it hits and actually has a purpose( ie dark areas to light up )

Sure maybe a flashlight with a battery that runs down would cool, but it just wouldn't work for some areas where there was no lighting at all. That wouldn't be fun.

Doom 3 has the most detailed environments of any game and has the best graphics (so far) and I enjoyed it. It's a FPS ( First Person Shooter - a game show from 1st person perspective where you shoot lots of bad guys/demons etc ).

Anyone who spends money on a FPS game of this quality and then gets bored and doesn't care what the next level looks like or what the next boss or weapon might be really should consider switching to another genre and stop complaining( on every Doom3 forum for months afterwards ) because id stated quite clearly that Doom3 was a remake of Doom and single player shooter game with atamosphere and scares. IMHO they succeeded in exactly that.

Re: Like moths to a flame
Sep 28, 2004, 12:36
Re: Like moths to a flame Sep 28, 2004, 12:36
Sep 28, 2004, 12:36

Personaly I think they have a developed such a rich and deep story line that no one in their original target audience would be able to understand it. That's why they are waiting till their audience reaches the new target age group of about 40 something.

It could just be that they are seriously lacking any developement talent.

id have written and released Quake 3+Team Arena and Doom 3 in the same time span. That's two new graphics engines, two sound engines and a physics engine all written by id. On top of that they support countless other dev teams who license id engines and have gone on to produce some of the biggest titles in the last 5 years. ( RtCW / Moh / CoD / Sof I&II / Elite Force I&II to name a few )

Plus how long were crytek going before releasing FarCry ? with it's impressive new engine & physics etc.

DNF & HL2 are the biggest hyped games to ever almost exist. I believe that both will look dated by the time they actually hit store shelfs. ( assuming they make it at all ).

Linux & widescreen
Sep 22, 2004, 09:52
Linux & widescreen Sep 22, 2004, 09:52
Sep 22, 2004, 09:52

Looking forward to linux client for laptop. I hope it support different resolutions in wide(ish)screen. My laptop is native 1280x800 but I think GF4200go chip might struggle at that res.

I've tried wine and run sort off. I look s**t though, I tried under a Windows XP partition on the same machine so I know it can look great.

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 10:00.

Re: regarding steam..
Sep 21, 2004, 17:09
Re: regarding steam.. Sep 21, 2004, 17:09
Sep 21, 2004, 17:09

If steam is so safe, secure and wonderful then they should make it open source. Then people might actually trust it.
Personally I don't trust any program that has the power to connect to the internet and install programs/files on my machine.
Including IE. yes I hate microsoft but that's because I have to use and sometimes support their software when I know there are better alternatives, like in the case IE, I use Firefox.

As a tweaker I spend time removing programs/services that can eat any amount of processor/bandwidth, that I don't really truely need.

I use ASE to launch games, I don't currently have any valve games(game, did they actually write anything other than HL?)
HL2 looks like it might an okay time waster and may condiser buying it ( on CD ). I don't what to subscript to anything, I don't want the crap and hassle of another user/password to remember ( most people including me use the same user/pass for lots of things which is frankly stupid and anyone doing that deserves what they get. NOTE TO SELF: I must think of new password for this site) just to play a bloody game.

It's that simple remove the need for steam and I'll be happy to lay down my cash.

If steam is so great and wonderful and has all these advantages they why haven't other publishers/developers jumped on the band wagon and created their own versions. Maybe because they read forums and see what a large percentage of people hate it. Maybe if valve had done a better job of it other companies would have followed. All I can say is thank christ they didn't.
Can you imagine if the idea took of, you'd look down at your system tray and 20-30 icons down there, valve, id, activision etc etc.
I just have the clock on my systray and lots of free memory/cpu cycles/bandwidth. What do you have?

Re: Reminisant of...
Sep 20, 2004, 12:36
Re: Reminisant of... Sep 20, 2004, 12:36
Sep 20, 2004, 12:36

Good job I wasn't really looking forward to HL2.

So now we have:
Duke Nukem (takes) Forever
Half (a)life(time) 2

Which will come first and more importantly which will look the more dated of the 2 by the time they hit the shelves.

Sep 20, 2004, 07:42
Re: No subject Sep 20, 2004, 07:42
Sep 20, 2004, 07:42

... is it even remotely possible to beat sarge on mightmare node??

Did you use the Soul Cube on him? That takes a good bit of his health away right off. Although, I havn't tried it in nightmare mode yet.

Carmack is still the best at producing game engines.

I don't know.. the Unreal people have done some good stuff as well. Their UnrealEngine3 is looking very good so far.

No the soulcube wasn't 'changed' unfornately - my bad.

Unreal3 looks very good but until we actually see it in a released game it doesn't count.
Just remember Doom3 engine doesn't limit the number of ployies, it handle very large texture sizes, self shadowing can be turned on and you can create and add any shaders you like as new matrials so realistic water and coloured lightrays should all be possible with the current Doom3 engine. It's just a question of which gfx cards can keep the frame rate high enough to be playable.

Sep 20, 2004, 07:33
Re: No subject Sep 20, 2004, 07:33
Sep 20, 2004, 07:33

Monster closets and ammo traps - Nostalgia, takes me back to the original Doom games ( this is a remake after all ). Yes sometimes it did take away from the immersion but generally I stay 'in the game' and fretted over the old style traps when I wasn't playing it.

martian buddy lockers - agreed, bad idea. If they added a functional web browser to some of the terminals in the game that would have been cool.

That's still no reason to produce such an obtuse gameplay "gem" like the flashlight (And before you get started on "standard issue" this and "duct tape" that; just because you have a reason to explain it away DOES NOT suddenly turn a concept that isn't fun into one that is..)

Do you think the flashlight would be better if it attached to every weapon? or every weapon had a flashlight built into it? (soulcube??)
Should your marine do a little juggerling act at every weapon change to reattached/swap hands?
Do you think dark areas or unlite corners would be scary and make you walk around carefully, if everywhere you looked was lite up by your 'always' on touch and if there was something there you just click the mouse button and boom it's gone,run to next room.
Maybe you think they shouldn't have bothered with all those dark areas so you don't need a touch. Of couse then you don't really need realtime lighting so you can go back to precompiled lightmaps like HL & HL2 and everyother game.
A flashlight only works if it doesn't just produce light but also produces new shadows for everything it hits.

Sure maybe a flashlight with a battery that runs down would cool, but it just wouldn't work for some areas where there was no lighting at all. That wouldn't be fun at all.

wide open areas are only important for outdoor maps and even then only if you have jeeps/buggies etc ( which Q4 will have ) otherwise it's just a matter of taking longer to get to next objective. It doesn't matter if their are 20 different routes with a slightly different number of hostiles on each if you still haev to walk a mile to a specific door.

realistic water: since far cry this will be the norm. No reason not to have it(unless you're on a planet without it:) ). It's not exactly going to add aanything new to the 'game'. Water is water, it's reflections etc don't actually add gameplay, just looks cool.

Sep 20, 2004, 05:33
Re: No subject Sep 20, 2004, 05:33
Sep 20, 2004, 05:33

Amazing, I've never read so much hate for a game that I actually enjoyed. I completed it twice ( 2nd time in nightmare mode, only used god mode once, is it even remotely possible to beat sarge on mightmare node?? ).

No other game has the immersion of Doom3.
Gfx: 95% ( anything without realtime lighting for look dated )
Snd: 80% ( used to great effect, more scary than imps behind doors)
AI: 80% ( marines were god enough, imps an demons stupid, but what do you expect from a demon from hell, have you ever met one? )
GamePlay: 50% ( so so, but fun )
Replay: 50% ( limited, but I've already player one very good SP map from the growing fan base and a couple of mods look very promising too ).
Overall: No regrets, money well spent for 50+ hours plus of play time so far. ( that's just single player, mp is getting better ).

I believe I could counter all the indvidual 'faults' listed so far but I don't see the point, your hating the game doesn't and won't stop me enjoying it.

Yes it's dark. Find any big science complex on earth and kill the power and what do get? limited emergency lighting and a lot of darkness. These places don't have many windows.

I'd loved to see this thread in alternate reliatity where id software decided to 'remake' doom but with all new original weapons, different play style with multiple ways of using stealth to get to objectives, large open areas(Like they would exist in space science lab complex on planet with a hostile atmosphere).
How many people would be up in arms saying it wasn't Doom and contained none of the elements that made the original fun?
How many people would be shouting for a shotgun and chaingun?

Carmack is still the best at producing game engines. It'll take more some flashy water and large draw distances to impress me. Carmack was right, biggest improvement you can is better lighting. Without realtime lighting nothing is any better than the Q3 with shader support.

Re: Am I alone?
Sep 17, 2004, 13:20
Re: Am I alone? Sep 17, 2004, 13:20
Sep 17, 2004, 13:20

bet it is miles ahead of Doom 3 in the story telling and immersion departments.

I don't expect it to have anything like the immersion of Doom3 or atmosphere.
Apart from higher res textures, more polys and a few flashy shaders thrown in. It still looks too much like any other FPS expect Doom3.
Without full real-time lighting on everything it will look dated.

Sep 17, 2004, 08:27
Re: No subject Sep 17, 2004, 08:27
Sep 17, 2004, 08:27

Oh it's September, where's the HL2 release news?
Ah here it is, it doesn't seem like a year ago since the last one. O how time flies.

"Vivendi's internal QA usually only lasts 72 hours"
It's the 72 hours play testing? so if done during normal working hours how many days is that? you're looking at 2 weeks.

They have to make sure all the pretty shiny effects work on all those ATI cards and are disabled on the NVidia cards.

And they have to make sure they remove all those scripted events that where in the leaked pre-alpha-e3 version, because they claimed at the time all those things like doors being kicked in was down to AI interacting with the environment in real-time.

HL1 never held me for long. It did cure my insomnia for a while but then I found a more intresting game to keep me awake.

Re: What will happen first?
Sep 10, 2004, 04:27
Re: What will happen first? Sep 10, 2004, 04:27
Sep 10, 2004, 04:27

How long has DNF been in dev-land?
How long ago did they start on their own engine?
Now they say the engine is "Doom3 like" so let's see,
Carmack had the Doom3 engine running over 3 years ago and as only been trimming and adding little bits as new hardware comes out. So it basically took him a year maybe 2 to get Doom3 to point of running stuff like the E3 demos. The rest of the time was all down to the artists and mappers having to create 3/4 textures per every surface in the game.

So, is the DNF engine done? and if so how long ago?
If it took id 4 years to make 20+ levels for Doom3 when they knew exactly what they needed to do, they how long is it likey to take for DNF to be done? being as they changed engines 2 or 3 times.

DNF has to have realtime lighting otherwise it will look dated like CS:S does and no amount of stress test shader demos will help.

<QUOTE>Creston

Edit : as for the demise of OpenGL, shrug. Would anyone really notice? Five years ago, OpenGL was noticeably ahead of Direct3D, but is there any noticeable difference between the two nowadays? I play D3D and OpenGL games and 99% of the time, I don't even know what's running. It wasn't until KotOR started choking on the new Catalysts (nice fucking going ATI, and it's still not fixed) that I realised it was running on OpenGL.

Doom 3 would have looked just as good, and probably ran just as good / crap (dependant on your own point of view) if it ran on D3D. </QUOTE>

It doesn't matter if D3D looks or peforms as good as OpenGL the problem is Bill Gates and MS will have total control over another area of Computing - ie Graphics.
Also no more Linux/Mac port of games, till someone have write a version of D3D for Linux AND not get sued be M$ for it.
This comment was edited on Sep 10, 04:32.

Re: Bill Gates Has His Fingers Crossed
Sep 9, 2004, 19:08
Re: Bill Gates Has His Fingers Crossed Sep 9, 2004, 19:08
Sep 9, 2004, 19:08

Epic have an OpenGL version of their engine and released good Linux/Mac ports of UR 2003/2004.
Wasn't Serious Sam openGL?

Source engine is just a tarted up extension of the Quake engine with shader support and the Havok physics engine thrown in for good measure. Gabe is a bed fellow of Bill and ATI so the chances of a OpenGL version or Mac/Linux versions of the client are very slim. I honestly thought they put up the wrong screenshots when I saw those CS:S pics.
I don't think it's going to matter how many flashy shader effect they put in a HL2 level, the lighting will still look wrong and dated(+brighter ) now I'm used to Doom3.

OpenGL cannot and must NOT die. More people should complain louder about the lack of Linux/Mac ports of games. I wish projects like winex would stop so game developers don't use it as an excuse. Carmack has proved time and again that OpenGL is as good as or better (at least faster) than D3D and that will always be true while Nvidia can write their own OpenGL drivers. If ATI's driver team actually succeed in rewriting their OpenGL driver so it gives them comparible performance to Nvidias, then hopefully OpenGL future will be a little safer.

Doom3 may not have anything really new in the gameplay department but that didn't stop me from enjoying it.

Wake up activision UK !!
Jul 30, 2004, 05:03
Wake up activision UK !! Jul 30, 2004, 05:03
Jul 30, 2004, 05:03

I'm really hyped about this game now and the Activision UK site doesn't even list Doom3 as a hot title!!
It's still going on about Shrek2 and Call of Duty.

Even a search of their site for Doom only finds I & II and no mention of 3.

I want a UK delievry date!!!

Jul 28, 2004, 09:35
Re: No subject Jul 28, 2004, 09:35
Jul 28, 2004, 09:35

If my system hadn't started crashing constantly, I'd still be using 98 myself. Of course swithcing to XP did not fix the crashing, and replacing all the components in my system has still not fixed the crashing. Oh well.

If replacing the OS and the all the hardware didn't solve the crashing problem then maybe you need to upgrade the user

156 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 6.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older