Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Myrddin Emrys

Real Name Myrddin Emrys   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname The Raven
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 3, 2002, 04:27
Total Comments 266 (Amateur)
User ID 15062

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Source Plans
35. No subject Sep 11, 2006, 01:00 The Raven

I'll go out on a limb here and post about TFA, but don't let that interrupt your little flame war...

It's about goddamn time. A pricing rebalance has been needed for ages, because many weapons are unused due to their poor value... too high priced for the crappy gun you get (ump45, 5-7, machine gun to name a few).

Variety is fun, but the pricing structure inhibits variety, because some weapons are simply better dollar for dollar than others. I'm looking forward to new prices, and I'm interested in what else they want to do to alter the economy.

Dreaming Demon, formerly Tikatt, formerly The Raven
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Supreme Commander Beta Plans
16. Re: End game Sep 9, 2006, 23:48 The Raven

That's the theory Skoll. The idea is that rather than being 2 minutes from each other by your slowest unit, you could be up to 10 minutes from each other via your fastest unit. An order of magnitude bigger than any other RTS released.

I do agree there is a possibility of the 'game over, but 2 hours left' that might happen. TA had that badly. I'm hoping they have victory conditions, similar to Rise of Nations, to limit that.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy: SiN Episodes: Emergence
96. Music May 11, 2006, 21:46 The Raven

Forgot to mention... I really like the theme song. Instrumental music is nice, but I'm very pleased to see a vocal song in a game for once. I was pleased with the music in general, but the theme song stood out.

92. Re: Better luck next time, Ritual May 11, 2006, 19:58 The Raven

You took the time to find it, chances are you'll take the time to see if it's crap or not. The implication is there, anyway.

Time to find:

http://thepiratebay.org/
sin episode

30 seconds.

Time to download & playtest:

Get torrent, start torrent, make coffee, watch sitcom, sleep with fiance, check download, visit reddit.com, laugh at stupid websites, download done, extract, install, read patch notes, apply crack, play for an hour or so...

half a day.

I haven't really done much warezing since I got my current job, but warez is not instant gratification. It takes time, and there's a significant risk of it not working right, or needing to download some supplemental crack, etc. Warez is free, but does have a significant time investment... good for people who have more time than money (students, kids), not as useful for people with more money than time (skilled workers).

This comment was edited on May 11, 19:59.

89. Played It May 11, 2006, 18:57 The Raven

I played it. Was pretty early in the morning when I finished, so I didn't go back and replay any bits, or look at the extra content yet...

Overall I was underwhelmed. I particularly was expecting more interactivity with the environment. Perhaps there were Action Based Outcomes (ABO) that I missed, but the game felt very static to me. They may have big plans for fancy ABOs, but I did not see any so far.

I was struck by how similar to Half Life it was... non-interactive, weaponless beginning; silent protagonist; female sidekick. It felt derivative, but lacking a lot of the well playtested 'cool' stuff that Valve is so careful to put it.

I expected more from the phone number scattered in the game... they were cute, some very funny, but non-interactive. The original Duke Nukem had working toilets (that had a game effect!)... useless kitchen facilities are no longer exciting. If it's interactive, lemme DO something with it. I stopped being interested in widgets that spin but do nothing when I stopped playing with baby toys. Of course, I was in my teens... *cough* but that's beside the point. Ahem. Point is, useless interactivity essentially turns into negative reinforcement: "Don't play with the environment, it does no good." Remember the lab rat rule: Start off with lots of rewards per press of the lever, and scale back over time. MMOs use that lesson well. As an example: Have the first thing the first vending machine you touch drop be a health bottle. WHOAH! They drop health! Then you get soda for a few more times... then a health bottle! Ratchet down the ratio as the player uses the feature more. Interactive features should have a game/content effect, or they shouldn't be in the game. The paper towel dispenser and sink are examples of useless content that negatively reinforce the player. What if the some of the paper towels had ads on them?

However, the non-ineractive content was great. The safety posters were hilareous... I particularly liked the 'mutate into hulk' radiation safety warning. "Pipes: The new Crate!" A couple of secrets, like the Dopefish, were excellent. The Ritual guys are good at making fun jokes for hardcore gamers.

But there was something missing... Duke Nukem was better in this respect: the protagonist should be more vocal in this kinda game. Half Life has a very serious, realistic tone. Sin does not. Sin is over the top comic book content, and I was seriously missing comments from Blade. He's a blunt, street smart cop--where's the wisecracks, the attitude?

The combat itself was satisfying. I didn't really mind having only 3 weapons. I had my difficulty slider up halfway, and the challenge was about what I like... a few parts where I need to reload 5 times, but most of the game where I squeak by on 10-50 health. I could see the auto-difficulty options tossing me way more health items from dead enemies after a couple retries, so it was working for me. I liked the alt fire on the pistol, great when 3 of them lined up. The shotgun's altfire was excellent for decimating minigunners; primary, alt, primary again (if needed). And the SMG was very satisfying... good spread increase on full auto, not so bad it's uncontrollable, with a firm upward bias. Stitch them from groin to face in one smooth sweep.

The flying guys were a hoot... similarly, some of the explosive gas canisters (golly, lots of propane lying around) were spectacularly fun... good use of the physics engine. Nothing crazier than two explosive tanks flying through the room like a deflating balloon, killing anything they run into... including me! Also related was the debris kicked or thrown at me by the baddies... nice interaction with the environment.

So, nice game, with flaws. And one glaring flaw... the cost. As someone else pointed out, $180 for 9 episodes is... steep. Not worth it. No way. But I still think episodic content is a good idea. However, I'd push for a discount after your first 'episode'. If the rest of the episodes are $9.95, I'll buy them. I don't mind paying $100 over the course of the entire game (double the normal price of an A list title)... but $180 is a bit insane. And that 'not minding' is predicated on each episode improving upon the previous ones... add more interactivity, more content, and keep the good parts from the previous episodes. If it gets stale and repetetive, then even the 9.95 price point won't keep me.

On the other hand, maybe this was just a poor example of an episode. If the future episodes are longer, and better designed, I could see paying 19.95. The problem is that after two or three episodes, it will be very hard to make me come back and pay for yet another episode of same-old-same-old. My working hypothesis is that the episodes will get easier and easier for them to make, as they get used to the content system... I think they will be able to either make much longer episodes (worth $20) or make the smaller episodes a lot faster (profitable at $10). Having the first episode cost $20 will help them recoup their investment for players who only buy one. For those who don't know, fixed costs for software sales usually means that you make a LOT more profit at $20 than you do at $10... like, if fixed costs are $5 per copy (CC processing, bandwidth, Steam hosting charges, Valve's cut, etc), then $20 makes them $15 profit, compared to $5 for a $9.95 game. I'm pulling my numbers outta my ass, but I do wanna point out that there are reasons they may not be able to go very low in pricing.

So... summary. Good game. Flaws, but they can be fixed. I won't keep buying them at $20 unless they get significantly BETTER, not just longer.

Raven

News Comments > id Software Lawsuit - Adrian Carmack Fired
101. Half Life Sep 28, 2005, 20:02 The Raven

Gordon Freeman was an 'ordinary joe' compared to his fellows. In a lab where everyone is a rocket scientist, the person with the mere Bachelors degree in metallurgy is an 'ordinary joe'.

This thread has diverged into a 'D3 sucks' thread it seems. Kinda sad. I do not believe Doom 3 sucked... I just think it was a reworking of a genre that has been worked enough. But... the same is true of World of Warcraft. WoW brought nothing really new to the table of MMOs... Blizzard just made the most polished MMO yet. Polish counts... and D3 was very polished. It could get repetetive, but not for too long. The levels were moderately varied in looks, if not playstyle, and it had a plot that moved forward. Doom 3's only major failing was that the gameplay was not as varied as most other more modern titles. But the gameplay they did deliver was extremely well done, and ran surprisingly well on existing computers. Should the one failing of relatively limited variation condemn everyone to calling it a horrible game? I disagree.

But regardless of how good D3 is or is not, I think that this news of A Carmack being fired far more interesting and RELEVANT. The fact that he has acquired 41% of the company shows that he has deliberately chosen to invest in the company over the years... had had to have paid others for their shares when they left, or paid a larger amount than others wanted to. He put his money into the company, and now he's being kicked out, and forced to sell his shares short? That seems highly unfair to me, and I see nothing wrong with him taking this to court as a matter of principle, not just greed.

News Comments > id Software Lawsuit - Adrian Carmack Fired
47. Sad Sep 27, 2005, 20:22 The Raven

Beginning of the end for id. I'm not surprised JC is thinking of quitting... he can go on to his Armadillo Aerospace, and let Activision buy the company and turn it into a crap factory. id will go the way of Origin and all the other original development companies that got acquired and homogenized.

id will still make good engines as long as they keep John Carmack... but I think he will have little incentive to continue for long with the kinda crap that is currently happening.

Good bye id.

So long, and thanks for all the gibs.

News Comments > Half-Life Blue Shift Via Steam
30. Never Played Blue Shift Aug 25, 2005, 14:42 The Raven

Glad to finally have the chance.

Reguarding delays... so what? I really mean that. It's so completely unimportant that I could care less. It'll be out when it's out. I'd prefer Valve's approach to releases rather than, say, DiCE. BF2 is nice, don't get me wrong... but the menu and crashing bugs were abysmal.

Any company that focuses on cutting edge technology, blazing new artistic and technical ground, is going to fuck up when it comes to predicting when things will be done. They always fuck up. It's a fact of life. Companies like iD KNOW they'll fuckup, so they promise nothing. Valve tries to make promises and fails... they are not alone. Tons of games are delayed every quarter.

So what? It'll be out eventually. It's not BREAD, it's not GASOLINE, you don't need it to survive, so who cares if it's late? Stop whining, and enjoy it when it is released.

The Raven

News Comments > Gold - Fable: The Lost Chapters
23. Re: Hmmm... Aug 23, 2005, 21:13 The Raven

I respectfully disagree. I do not think that games have lost their 'magic'. You mentioned a 'best-of' list that spanned 10 years... of COURSE most games in a year won't match those for quality. However, this year we already had one stellar title... World of Warcraft is by far the best MMO yet released. It's a 'best of' title we'll be hearing of for years I think.

There will always be rehashes... Ultima 8 anyone? We had yearly baseball titles back in the early 90s too. This isn't new people.

There will also be the occasional standout title that makes everyone go 'WOW!'. KotoR was one... that was only two years ago, and it won numerous Game-of-the-Year awards, as it deserved. One of the first successful console-to-PC ports also... that game is partly responsible for all the half-assed ports nowadays.

So don't diss the game market. Two years ago is not 'ancient history'. There are great games every year (Half Life 2, World of Warcraft), and a deluge of mediocre to poor games. Don't worry... that's not going to change anytime soon, and it has not changed in the entire history of games. Or movies. Or books. Or plays. Every creative endeavor has only a few 'good' titles, amidst a sea of mediocrity.

We don't remember the sea of mediocre titles from 1993, because they were forgettable... of course. We remember X-Com though. We only remember the good titles that kept us entertained for a year all on their own (Ultima 5), or for a few intense, hilarious hours (like Day of the Tentacle).

News Comments > Dungeon Siege II Demo
76. I'm Depressed Aug 4, 2005, 00:43 The Raven

I was hoping DS2 would be a big leap over DS1... so far, I see a small step. Perhaps the full game will have more intriguing plotlines and clean up the interface a bit, but I'm not sure I'll ever play it... don't feel like dropping $50 to find out.

Sad.

News Comments > Gold - Boiling Point
20. Re: No Multiplayer May 9, 2005, 21:18 The Raven

Oh, and I should mention SS2's multiplayer... it was wonderful, but also an aberration. Almost nobody does good COOP anymore.

News Comments > Gold - Boiling Point
19. Re: No Multiplayer May 9, 2005, 21:17 The Raven

It's a Role Playing Game... almost all RPGs are single player. I don't see a multiple Morrowind. The only reason Deus Ex had any multiplayer at all (and it was kinda crappy) was because it was built on the Unreal Engine, and adding it was easy. No multiplayer Knights of the Old Republic.

Just because it's an FPS game doesn't mean it is gonna have multiplayer.

News Comments > Gold - Supreme Ruler 2010
2. Surprising Apr 28, 2005, 13:41 The Raven

I pegged this for a vaporware title a couple years ago. The goals were grandiose and the scale broad... I'm hoping that it really is done, and it's not like one of Derek Smart's games that have everything and the kitchen sink, but are buggy as heck.

We'll see. I don't have much faith in 'broad scope' games.

News Comments > Heaven vs Hell Announced
18. Resources Apr 26, 2005, 11:26 The Raven

I was trying to think of what resources Heaven and Hell would require... and I decided it must be souls. Heaven needs good souls, so it will attempt to purify the civilians before they die. Hell needs tarnished souls, so it will try to twist them before they die. And humanity needs LIVE souls, so it will try to keep the civilians as far as possible from either other faction.

So, in my theoretical game, humanity would be placing recruiting centers and gathering normal resources. Heaven would be placing churches and hospitals to gather repentant souls. And Hell would be placing brothels and gambling halls to gather evil souls. All of them act like roach motels... try to get the little civvies inside, and then they get 'processed' depending on the faction which got 'em.

Humanity would have the easiest time getting people, for obvious reasons (perhaps by default), but they need to gather normal resources as well. Heaven and Hell only need souls, and so need to spend more resources to get them. It would make an interesting 3 way conflict over the major resource... civilians.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Recipe: Good Review Feb 7, 2005, 16:33 The Raven

Take basic description of gameplay.
Add one part comparison with genre standards.
Include insightful commentary on unique game design elements.
Mix in positive and negative highlights to taste.
Make sure to mix in well written container, without slang or other impurities.
Boil over the flames of editorial review to remove typoes and germs.

Serve online. Good accompanying side dishes include links to homepage, screenshots, demos and patches.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
1. Ishtan Sounds Scarily Amateurish Feb 2, 2005, 14:07 The Raven

After reading through the Q&A for Ishtan, I am literally stunned by the naivety of their designers. It appears that they have not read any of the discussions on MMO game design in the past 10 years.

Some of their design decisions are mind-bendingly stupid. They appear to be making their game design based on AD&D 1st Edition... 20 year old rules that were designed to be broken when they don't work. But in an MMO, you can't just ignore a stupid rule.

Take character races. Not sure how high their level system goes, but they are putting level caps on non-human races. Level caps... as in, 'humans can advance to level 50, but elves cannot get higher than level 30'. No joke. Do they think every player is alone? Most players play with their guild, their friends... what are they going to do when one caps out at 30, but the rest of the party keeps gaining levels? It is incomprehensible.

I have only read the Q&A, not their website, so there may be mitigating factors. But they appear to be designing a game like the ORIGINAL Ultima Online... as in, PK allowed anywhere. They talk about how players will get 'bad reputations' and stuff, as if that will stop them. NOTHING stops misbehavior online other than truly preventing the bad behavior in the first place right in the code. You can't legislate morality online because it doesn't work.

It's the concept of punishment. How do you punish someone for behaving badly when all they have to do is log out or delete the character and make a new one? If you punish the player too much they quit, and you lose money. The simple fact is that online punishment doesn't work for the bottom-of-the-barrel players. They don't care. They'll nuke one character and start a new one.

I think Ishtan, if it makes it to release, is going to be horribly flawed. Don't bet on this horse.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - COPS 2170: The Power of Law
8. What Type of Game? Jan 28, 2005, 15:21 The Raven

Not sure if this sounds like an RPG or a shooter. The description above reminds me of 'Beyond Good & Evil.'

News Comments > Out of the Blue
71. The 'Fauxrari' Car Dec 29, 2004, 03:47 The Raven

What car is the starting point for the mod? Impressive body modification though... I wonder how much it would cost relative to a real Ferrari... or how well it would perform.

It's a rather extreme version of 'ricing'. At least they didn't put racing stripes on it.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Surprise = Deathmatch
135. Re: dont be stupid Dec 1, 2004, 12:39 The Raven

Agreed. When a new popular mod comes out, idiots who don't know how to run a server put up a server. They do it on slow computers, or PLAY on the same server they are HOSTING on, or any other dozen things that make the game run like crap. Normally, that server would stay EMPTY all the time because it sucks, and it would get taken back down. But... with 50 thousand people who want to try DM, and only 100 servers, people will join the crappy servers too.

After a couple weeks, the idjits who don't know how to run a server will take them back down, and/or people will stop playing on them, as enough servers come out.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Surprise = Deathmatch
134. Re: No subject Dec 1, 2004, 12:29 The Raven

This happened to me too. It's a bug, possibly caused by JUMPING just before you get put into the metal-casket-trasnport thingy. When I played HL2 a second time a couple days ago, it did not happen, but I was careful not to jump when I got in. Instead, just press the use key.

I posted a bug about it, I presume it'll get fixed in some future patch.

266 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo