Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Myrddin Emrys

Real Name Myrddin Emrys   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname The Raven
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 3, 2002, 04:27
Total Comments 266 (Amateur)
User ID 15062

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Sep 20, 2016, 08:37 The Raven

Most of those complaining about the change are developers (and only some of the developers). Most of those lauding it are consumers. I think Valve made the right call.

I also think that Valve probably could have found a way of fixing it that didn't just nuke every non-Steam key, but they almost always opt for the 'doesn't require manual review' choice whenever possible. It's the only way to run their multi-billion dollar company with under 500 employees.

Dreaming Demon, formerly Tikatt, formerly The Raven
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dota 2 VR Hub Released
1. Re: Dota 2 VR Hub Released Jul 28, 2016, 14:34 The Raven

Love it.

There are two main modes... a 'normal' mode teased months ago that lets you view the game on a virtual screen, surrounded by a huge minimap, representations of the characters, and stat graphs. You can walk around this room... move close to the screen so it fills your vision, or go over to the statues to examine the cosmetics that pro is wearing.

Then there is the map itself, which you can teleport to and around to view the action directly. You feel like a giant floating about fifty feet above a miniature forest. The fog could be a bit less restrictive... this mode is a little claustrophobic. But it's very fun to float over teamfights and watch the spells fly, or shrink yourself down to the level of the creeps and view the chaos up close.

It's not a better experience than normal, it's just different. If you have a large room you can literally walk around the map (at it's smallest, I think it's about 5m by 5m, with fog at just over 2m out). But when viewing the map you have none of the context... you can't view scores, character inventory, etc. So it's better for watching a reply where you know what's going to happen... you just want to see it from a cooler angle (eg, The Play).

News Comments > Gone Gold - No Man's Sky
1. Re: Gone Gold - No Man's Sky Jul 7, 2016, 18:44 The Raven

The world is only as interesting as your algorithm. 5 billion unique planets doesn't mean 5 billion unique ways the planet can look or behave.

I'm frequently frustrated when people are ignorant of the limitations or procedural systems. You'll see repeat creatures, repeat aliens, repeat spaceships, repeat resources, repeated flora, etc... you just won't see the same mix of colors and animals on a different planet.

But a blue florp under a purple sky isn't that different from a cyan florp under a azure sky. Seing a green florp eat purple leaves is not a unique experience from seeing a yellow florp eat blue grass.

I'm sure we'll see a lot of great screenshots, and like Minecraft I'm sure there will be the occasionally enexpected terrain generation that will rightfully take our breath away. But... I expect thousands to be let down when every planet is not a unique work of art.

Every snowflake is unique. That doesn't mean you won't bore people with an art gallery filled with snowflakes.

And yes, I'm ranting at nobody. Get off my lawn.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2016, 13:09 The Raven

I'm glad you're still here Blue, and that the site is still paying your bills. :-)  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 21, 2016, 14:17 The Raven

The site is also so overloaded it's not working (at least yesterday when I checked).

The coupons are also anemic.

All in all, Ticketmaster is likely giggling, and the lawyers on both sides are buying a new house.

News Comments > Screeps Early Access
2. Re: Screeps Early Access Jun 20, 2016, 16:12 The Raven

I was wishing it was Ruby, personally. Mock away.

That said, I've been playing this for about two weeks (got pre-release access funding their Kickstarter thingy). It's well done. The interface is well documented, there are good example scripts. The community is helpful and frequently online. Bugs are squashed quickly. They have quality-of-life code published (like deployment scripts, JSDoc files for syntax highlighting in your IDE of choice, and Github integration).

The complexity you deal with as a coder also rises cleanly with the size of your base. New objects are added that you need to code to or handle. You have the ability to manually do stuff early on with some interactive command line code that you later handle automatically with your code.

And code efficiency and quality matter, because you are charged for the runtime of your code.

All in all, I'm happy with my purchase.

News Comments > The Long Journey Home Trailer
1. Re: The Long Journey Home Trailer Apr 22, 2016, 10:34 The Raven

I like the 2D simplicity of the gameplay. 3D is nice, but in many ways 2D gameplay allows your art to be more interesting because the foreground and background don't have to have gameplay hooks; they can be there for looks. It's also easier to control in 2D, and thus easier to find the fun.

Whether it will be a good game, I dunno, but I liked what I saw.

News Comments > HTC Vive Ships & SteamVR Launches
2. Re: HTC Vive Ships & SteamVR Launches Apr 5, 2016, 21:25 The Raven

I pre-ordered mine, but not on day one; I won't get my Vive until May. I feel like I'm a child again, waiting impatiently for Christmas.  

News Comments > Dota 2 Winter 2016 Battle Pass
1. Re: Dota 2 Winter 2016 Battle Pass Jan 27, 2016, 19:20 The Raven

Appears, on the surface, to be done better than the Frankfurt compendium. Also a lot of welcome bugfixes.  

News Comments > etc.
9. Corporate Espionage Jan 8, 2016, 12:05 The Raven

They are accusing a customer of corporate espionage? For talking to another (former) customer? On twitter?

I don't give a crap what they talked about, or how much they hate some of their customers, that's not the definition of corporate espionage.

The idea of Star Citizen is nice. Their execution is poor. I'd say they are selling snake oil, but they're actually selling pretty label designs because the bottle factory isn't finished yet. Maybe it will be... eventually.

I'm not holding my breath.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 8, 2016, 10:48 The Raven

You can get away with being coarse when you are also kind. The benevolent dictator effect.

If he had said 'Sorry, I fucked that up. We think a lot of people will still enjoy Binge On, and we aren't changing how the plan works, but we shouldn't have tried to fuck you over with the wording,' then everyone would have stayed liking him.

News Comments > Half-Life Writer Marc Laidlaw Leaves Valve [Updated]
1. Re: Half-Life Writer Marc Laidlaw Leaves Valve? Jan 8, 2016, 10:37 The Raven

What's for him to write? They haven't released (or even admitted working on) a story based product in ages. I don't think writing the backstory for DotA characters is a full time job, and whatever else he pitched in with (nobody has a fixed role there) probably wasn't his cup of tea.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2016, 16:56 The Raven

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 2, 2016, 15:24:
So they basically endorse this practice, which ruins the ability to offer a special, limited-time discount, because you end up losing a lot of the extra dollars per sale you were getting from people who had bought it the day or the week before.

Bullshit. Take a look at this article, and pay special attention to the graph of Steam Revenue halfway down (the third one).

Notice how the revenue (not sales count, but REVENUE) in the month before a sale is shit, and shoots way up during the sale. That means that the number of units sold before the sale are minimal compared to the number sold during the sale. Now this is one small indie game, and not every game has such low revenue between sales, but there are many examples of similar behavior. Steam sales are huge revenue earners for most games, and the few people who bought the game just before the sale (and the even smaller percentage who played less than 2 hours and want to go through the hassle to get a refund) are insignificant.

This effect has nothing to do with deep discounts as far as money goes.

Are some developers stupid, and making bad decisions because they are afraid of this effect even if it's not rational? Sure. Nobody ever accused CliffyB of rationality. He's always been a hothead.

Edit: typo

News Comments > The Witness Video
1. Re: The Witness Video Dec 23, 2015, 20:16 The Raven

I've been looking forward to this for a while. I'm not certain it'll be good, but I'm interested to see how Jonathan will translate his indie game dev skills to a new medium. It is always interesting to find out what unique characteristics a developer will become known for. You can never tell until game two.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets
14. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 17, 2015, 11:24 The Raven

The only thing that bugs me about this video is the transition from hand crafted terrain to procedurally generated boring hills. Note that as soon as you leave the area with the starport you never again see cliffs, rocks, or anything but low rolling hills.

Since the terrain is being generated by the client at runtime (presumably based on a seed input) that means they are not doing all the plate tectonics and planet simulation that Elite Dangerous are doing to create more interesting and varied terrain.

So it is a nice demo, and I love the atmosphere scattering they achieved, but I think ED has demonstrated superior planets thus far.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
25. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 14, 2015, 14:01 The Raven

watch a video of a match, and tell me it isn't completely convincingly 2D.

I have no interest in fighting games, but you're right... that is a great use of 3D while retaining the aesthetics of 2D. Good on them.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Horizons Next Week
4. Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Next Week Dec 9, 2015, 13:08 The Raven

There are consequences for actions in the galaxy at large, but they are subtle or non-existent unless many players do the same action, or a single player does that action for days.

One pickpocket is not going to cause a 'crime spree' in a city. A thousand will. Similarly, one player killing a few police will do nothing but if a hundred players gang up on a system and kill NPC police ships the system may suffer from anarchy status effects, civil war, or flip allegience.

More on-topic, I'm looking forward to this update. Whether it will materially improve the game is up for debate but I'm moderately hopeful.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 8, 2015, 12:48 The Raven

I tried, I really tried, to switch to Linux for gaming. After a crash last year I installed Mint on my main gaming PC, updated drivers, installed Steam, and got sad at framerates that would make an Apple IIe blush with shame.

It's not the fault of Linux directly; it's a problem with the drivers. Until AMD and NVIDIA put as much effort into optimizing their Linux drivers and OpenGL as they do for Windows the situation will never improve.

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Nov 5, 2015, 21:04 The Raven

Derek is an ass, and as a person who also created a badly playing crappy space game that promised long and delivered short, a hypocrite. He revels in the publicity his public mud slinging provides.

That doesn't mean Star Citizen isn't a poorly managed, overpriced bag of hot air.

News Comments > Morning Patches
1. Re: Morning Patches Oct 23, 2015, 18:16 The Raven

This update is actually a pretty significant change to low priority (where those who flame or abandon are sent for a few games). It used to be that both teams would frequently try to throw as fast as possible, to get out as quickly as possible. Since some of those in LP were there for deliberately losing games it really wasn't serving the purpose of punishment (they get to keep throwing), reform (they learn to stop throwing), or separation (they return to normal games quickly).

Now, players who cause losses by throwing get no reduction in their LP sentence. Only wins count which means you have to try to work with your teammates to win even in LP. It's no longer a vacation from trying.

266 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo