Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ecthelion

Real Name Ecthelion   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ecthelion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2002, 13:54
Total Comments 1537 (Pro)
User ID 15046

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > 15 Hours of Mafia II
2. Re: 15 Hours of Mafia II Mar 10, 2010, 10:53 Ecthelion

If you just count the storyline, I don't think the original had 60 hours of gameplay. I can't remember how long the story lasted, but judging from the number of missions it shouldn't be that long.

I'm assuming they're talking about the same thing here, because how can you quantify wandering around and other non-story gameplay?

In any case, as long as Mafia 2 has fun non-story activities, 15 hours for the story missions seems fine to me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Mar 9, 2010, 05:40 Ecthelion

everyone wrote on Mar 9, 2010, 03:23:
I wonder why they aren't including Hitman: Contracts in the bundle.
It's not on Steam at all, unfortunately. Something about a song in one level they couldn't get the rights to use. It's a shame that means ditching the whole game, because it has some fantastic levels.

News Comments > Just Cause 2 Demo
50. Re: Just Cause 2 Demo Mar 7, 2010, 10:13 Ecthelion

The game seems pretty fun... I think I'm going to get it from Amazon for $50 with a $15 coupon for a future video games (I'll probably use it for Episodes From Liberty City). The end of March is going to be busy for me - JC2, the GTA4 expansion, and DA:O expansion.  

25. Re: Just Cause 2 Demo Mar 4, 2010, 18:02 Ecthelion

Jerykk wrote on Mar 4, 2010, 16:16:
I've found that ever since Windows 2000, each new version of Windows has fewer annoyances (than its immediate predecessor) to disable after the initial installation.

Really? I feel the exact opposite way. Vista and Windows 7 piled on all the worthless security checks.

"Do you want to run this file?"
"Are you really sure?"
"Okay, just double-checking... you want to delete this right?"
"Hah! Just kidding. I know you want to run the file, not delete it, but I'm going to ask you anyway when you do want to delete anything so might as well get it out of the way now."
"Sorry, you can't run or delete this because you don't have the correct administrator privileges."
Yes really. Windows 2000 has the stupid internet connection wizard, stupid default My Computer / Explorer settings (things like hiding file extensions), the "welcome to Windows" tour thing, and a few other things I'm forgetting. Windows XP has the stupid Desktop Cleanup Wizard, the annoying language bar (I know it's useful for some people, but most of us will never use it), a pointless Windows tour, and the same stupid default Explorer settings as 2000. Vista has UAC and a few stupid default My Computer Explorer settings (but far less than 2000/XP, as I recall). Windows 7 has a few stupid Explorer settings IIRC, but less than previous OSes. Win7 UAC could actually be left on without too much annoyance, but I choose to turn it off.

One Vista / Windows 7 improvement I forgot is the vastly improved file transfer dialog. Finally we get some useful information when we're copying or moving files. I also find the Add/Remove programs applet to be much improved. Being able to use the installed programs list while something is uninstalling is something I've wanted to be able to do for years. Maybe with Windows 8 we'll finally get to uninstall more than one program at a time.

And don't even get me started on how monumentally stupid Windows Update was pre-Vista. Yeah, all this stuff should have been fixed years ago, but I'm just glad to have it now.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2010, 18:09.

6. Re: Just Cause 2 Demo Mar 4, 2010, 15:55 Ecthelion

I've found that ever since Windows 2000, each new version of Windows has fewer annoyances (than its immediate predecessor) to disable after the initial installation. So Windows 7 is worth the upgrade just for that, in my opinion. :p

But beyond that, there's the security improvements, decent 64-bit support, and the way it just feels modern compared to XP. All that for the slight drawback of a small loss of compatibility, which doesn't even affect many users.

So don't upgrade for a single game, upgrade because it's better than XP (except for the arguably minor compatibility factor).

News Comments > Metro 2033 Specs
3. Re: Game Reviews Feb 25, 2010, 14:09 Ecthelion

BobBob wrote on Feb 25, 2010, 14:04:
Wait, this game doesn't support ATI cards?
It's a "The Way It's Meant to be Played" game, but this is the first one I've seen that doesn't even mention ATI cards in the requirements.

News Comments > New Steam Beta
30. Re: New Steam Beta Feb 25, 2010, 09:25 Ecthelion

I like it (and the UI update is long overdue), but like a few others here I hope they don't remove the Games mini-list (it's gone in the beta). I prefer a minimal view for my games list.  

News Comments > Dragon Age Awakening Interview
3. Re: Dragon Age Awakening Interview Feb 19, 2010, 18:33 Ecthelion

Creston wrote on Feb 19, 2010, 16:55:
Actually, the romances have been going downhill since BG2 anyways, so it's no loss whatsoever.
Apparently you never tried out the Aerie romance... I don't think anything in ME1, DA:O, or ME2 comes close to being that bad. And the Throne of Bhaal expansion continued her romance by having her get pregnant and have a baby... that was truly cringe-inducing.

I think the Jaheira and Viconia romances were fairly well-done though. I guess one 2 out of 3 ain't bad (I never tried the male romances, although I'm sure the Anomen one was bad considering his character).

News Comments > Free Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun and Firestorm
7. Re: Free Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun and Firestorm Feb 13, 2010, 14:44 Ecthelion

I recently replayed all the C&C (and Red Alert) campaigns, and Tiberian Sun was the most fun.

Plus, how can you go wrong with Michael Biehn?

News Comments > Wil Wheaton Keynotes PAX East
8. Re: Wil Wheaton Keynotes PAX East Feb 9, 2010, 16:10 Ecthelion

kxmode wrote on Feb 9, 2010, 16:07:
Ecthelion wrote on Feb 9, 2010, 14:29:
I'm one of the select few TNG fans that actually didn't hate Wesley. I don't really understand all the hate he got (and gets).

People generally dislike a smartass.
One of the more hypocritical viewpoints then, considering the online personalities of most Trekkers. :p

News Comments > Wil Wheaton Keynotes PAX East
3. Re: Wil Wheaton Keynotes PAX East Feb 9, 2010, 14:29 Ecthelion

I'm one of the select few TNG fans that actually didn't hate Wesley. I don't really understand all the hate he got (and gets).  

PC Gaming > What long dead gaming websites did visit regularly?
11. No subject Feb 2, 2010, 18:43 Ecthelion

My favorite was Gone Gold. I also liked GameSpot for its reviews before it "sold out"... I consider the old GameSpot a "long dead gaming website".  

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Asylum 2 Not Dated
15. Re: Batman: Arkham Asylum 2 Not Dated Feb 1, 2010, 13:49 Ecthelion

The only thing I didn't like about it was having to wait through the death sequences repeatedly during tough parts of the game (where you are taunted by one of the bosses - I liked the death sequences but they got frustrating after a while). It probably didn't help that I chose the highest difficulty level.

I enjoyed the story and gameplay quite a bit... it was one of the highpoints of 2009 for me. I also had a lot of fun with the Silent Predator challenges.

This is coming from someone who has never read a Batman comic, and who's only seen a few of the movies. The game managed to really impress me even though I'm not that big on Batman.

I hope the sequel measures up to the original.

This comment was edited on Feb 1, 2010, 13:52.

News Comments > GTA4: Episodes from Liberty City to PCs in March
8. Re: GTA4: Episodes from Liberty City to PCs in March Jan 29, 2010, 11:16 Ecthelion

That's weird... I was just looking up news on this earlier this morning, and later today I find the official announcement here.

I'm looking forward to this quite a bit, since I really enjoyed GTA4.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed II PC Date, Specs
2. Re: Assassin's Creed II PC Date, Specs Jan 25, 2010, 13:53 Ecthelion

Hmm... even the standard PC version is going to be $60.

I don't mind paying that much for some games (especially if I love the developer), and to be fair I haven't played the first one yet (I intend to soon... I've had it on Steam for months now). But I find it interesting that the first game came with extra content on the PC at no extra charge, and this one just comes with the DLC. I wonder if console gamers complained about the extra content in the PC version of AC1? I'm sure the pirates will be blamed as usual.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 DLC Details
8. Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Details Jan 19, 2010, 14:08 Ecthelion

I've read that the Mako vehicle from the first game is gone. Is this Hammerhead the only vehicle for ME2, or is there a replacement for the Mako in the base game (without extra DLC)? I have been avoiding videos to stay away from spoilers, so I'm not sure if any of them showed vehicles. Hopefully this Hammerhead is just an upgrade to a vehicle that's already in the game.

I wouldn't mind paying for DLC if it added something substantial to the game, and not just better equipment.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Soldier Trailer and Q&As
13. Re: Mass Effect 2 Soldier Trailer and Q&As Jan 13, 2010, 14:55 Ecthelion

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Jan 13, 2010, 14:31:
Did you guys try cranking up the difficulty? 'Cause you get more XP for it. The tradeoff being you'll likely throw your mouse at the wall a few times because goddamnit why is my previously game-breaking armor not stopping a rachni soldier from one-hit killing me oh god oh god there's a lot of them make the hurting stop.
I played on the hardest difficulty available on a new game. I think once a game is complete and level 60 unlocks, a harder difficulty or difficulties unlocks as well. It definitely made the game more challenging.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Jan 13, 2010, 14:14 Ecthelion

I sure hope developers don't listen to this guy. I play games for the experience, but I also enjoy the sense of accomplishment I get from finishing a game.

One of the reasons I dislike multiplayer games (especially MMOs) is because I don't feel like I'm accomplishing anything in those games. Yeah, I can get better scores, better loot, and higher levels, but those aren't the same as finishing a game.

Maybe I'm just a relic from a time when singleplayer gaming was the norm though. To use an imperfect TV analogy, I'd rather watch a scripted show with a decent ending than sit through season after season of some reality show.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Soldier Trailer and Q&As
8. Re: Mass Effect 2 Soldier Trailer and Q&A Jan 13, 2010, 12:40 Ecthelion

Creston wrote on Jan 13, 2010, 12:35:
To be fair, I took my Renegade character to level 60 by cheating. I'd done my paragon the normal way, and you've got to play through three times (once normal and two new game + games) basically doing everything, to reach level 60. The XP requirements scale up so ridiculously that it just becomes tedious. So once I had my Renegade at level 54 and finished the first game, I just gave her an extra 8 billion xp to reach 60.

It'd be nice if Steam would actually let us, you know, PRE-ORDER the digital deluxe edition...

Creston

Level 60 is only available on "New Game+" mode, right? Because I managed to hit 50 without cheating on my first (and so far, only) playthrough, but the game wouldn't let me gain any more levels. I had both DLC packs, so they contributed to my level.

So are you saying you have to play through two complete New Game+ playthroughs to gain the last ten levels? Damn, that really is some ridiculous XP requirement scaling!

I'm not going to bother reaching 60, whether by cheating or not. I'm going to import my level 50 character into ME2 and not worry about how it would be different if it were a level 60 character. It doesn't sound like it will make a huge difference anyway.

EDIT: Steam is now accepting pre-orders, at least in the US. Hopefully international customers won't be left in the lurch this time.

This comment was edited on Jan 13, 2010, 12:51.

News Comments > On Mass Effect 2 Enemy Defenses
8. Re: On Mass Effect 2 Enemy Defenses Jan 7, 2010, 15:46 Ecthelion

Creston wrote on Jan 7, 2010, 14:52:
I brought an engineer too, but all he really ever did was open chests and locks. In combat he was useless. It looks like they'll at least make a difference in that aspect, giving the engineer something to DO in combat.
Being limited to the pistol did make combat more annoying, but I managed to muddle through. But I'm glad my engineer will be able to be more effective in ME2.

1537 Comments. 77 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo