Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ecthelion

Real Name Ecthelion   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ecthelion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2002, 13:54
Total Comments 1552 (Pro)
User ID 15046

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > GTA: Episodes From Liberty City Ships
4. Re: Grand Theft Auto: Episodes From Liberty City Apr 13, 2010, 10:58 Ecthelion

nin wrote on Apr 13, 2010, 10:45:
Ah, that's cool. Looks like it still requires the same bullshit running in the tray, though...

Oh well. I enjoyed the hell out of it on the 360. I know I'm in the minority, but I think of all the GTAs, 4 has actually eclipsed Vice City as my favorite.

Need to finish Episodes next week on vacation...and then I'm starting on 4 again.
GTA4 and EFLC is still bound to GFWL, but the latest patch (not sure if it's actually out yet) gets rid of that Rockstar Social Club tray app. I preordered EFLC from Amazon, and it should be arriving today. Does it eliminate the annoyance of needy friends and girlfriends constantly calling you? I know it doesn't have girlfriends, so even if that mechanic is still around it should be less frequent. That was my only problem with GTA4 besides the initial bad performance (I found performance to be decent after the game was patched).

I actually like GTA4 best of the 3D GTAs myself. I'm not sure if the story is better than the prior games, but I found it to have the best mix of missions of any of them so far. San Andreas is actually my second favorite... nothing beats the mission where you get to run down hillbillies in a combine.

Shok wrote on Apr 13, 2010, 10:57:
Anyway, how is GTA4 compared to JC2 for those who have played them both? Is the GTA4 engine anything like JC2's? JC2 has some amazing draw distance or is it just a trick they use to "billboard" the world and make it look like you can see for miles.
GTA4 is more city-based, and the performance and graphics aren't as good as that of JC2. Where GTA4 (and previous GTAs) have an advantage over JC2 is story and missions. GTA: San Andreas and GTA4 have tons of missions (III and Vice City have less, but still a decent amount), and the voice acting is stellar. It's like playing an over-the-top interactive movie (not to the extent of cinematic-heavy games of the 90's though - it's still a game, but the mission cutscenes are like what you'd find in a movie). In terms of sheer fun, I think JC2 has the edge. I like both styles of open-world game myself. Eventually I'll get bored of JC2, but when I finish any of the GTA games and get bored with random activities, I can go back and play through the missions again.

This comment was edited on Apr 13, 2010, 11:05.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
14. Re: Direct2Drive has had many more sales than this one. Apr 13, 2010, 10:31 Ecthelion

BobBob wrote on Apr 13, 2010, 09:58:
My wife gives me a monthly gaming budget otherwise I just keep spending money on games that I hardly finish. $50 for the GOTY would be too much. The DLC method is better for me.
That's one way to control impulsive spending. :p

I should try it myself since I usually end up buying far more games than I have time for, so my game backlog keeps getting longer.

News Comments > On Sale
12. Re: Direct2Drive has had many more sales than this one. Apr 13, 2010, 09:53 Ecthelion

BobBob wrote on Apr 13, 2010, 09:18:
Despite my dislike for most RPGs and Direct2Drive, I purchased Fallout 3 for $15.00. Hope I don't regret this purchase.

Since this isn't the GOTY version, how do I get the extra DLCs when I'm ready to play them?
The first 4 DLCs are available in 2-pack DVDs as well as individually through GFWL, while the 5th (Mothership Zeta) is available only through GFWL. They're also all included in the GOTY edition of the game.

I think most gamers consider the final DLC as the weakest, but I enjoyed it as much as the other ones. It sounds like you're in a similar situation as me, in that you don't have nostalgic investment in the prior Fallout games. If that is indeed the case, I think you may enjoy the 5th DLC. The main complaints against it is that it didn't fit in the Fallout universe, so if you don't care about the universe that much you won't have that bias against the DLC.

One thing to consider though is that all the DLC will set you back quite a bit compared to just buying the GOTY version. If you're looking for the most bang for your buck, I would suggest getting either the Broken Steel DLC through GFWL, or buying the disc version of Broken Steel that also comes with Point Lookout. I'm not sure how much a single DLC is via GFWL, but the 2-pack DVDs are about $20. Anyway, Broken Steel adds the most to the game and Point Lookout comes in second in my opinion. Broken Steel is important because it increases the level cap and extends the ending of the game. With Broken Steel installed you can keep playing the game as long as you want, but if you don't have it the game will end after finishing the last main story quest.

EDIT: I just checked and the DLC is $10 each through GFWL.

News Comments > Free Just Cause 2 DLC
7. Re: Free Just Cause 2 DLC Apr 8, 2010, 16:26 Ecthelion

I finished the main story missions, but I have at least 40 faction missions left, judging by the faction mission achievement.

I found the story missions to be interesting for the most part, and some of them lasted longer than 10 minutes. Some of that time was spent hiding and recharging health though, since I'm playing on the hardest difficulty level. Of the few faction missions I've done, most of them have been lots of fun too, and they seem to have a lot of variety. Once I've finished them all, I'll probably want more, but right now it seems like more weapons and vehicles is more useful as far as DLC is concerned.

One annoying thing about finishing the story missions is that you get a big "Completion: x%" pop-up every time you progress towards 100%. They should make that smaller.

Big kudos to Avalanche for making the racing missions flexible enough to allow vehicle transfers. Most open-world games I've played have racing missions that fail if you lose your starting vehicle. This actually came into play for me last night, when my plane was shot down a hundred feet before reaching the last checkpoint. I had a minute left, which left me just enough time to "grapplechute" back to the back that shot me down, steal a chopper, and fly back to the last checkpoint with about 5 seconds to spare. It was the highlight of my time with the game, especially since I tried that race probably a dozen times.

I wonder if I'll be able to top that "wow" moment before I get bored with the game. So far, this is the top contender for that single moment I'll remember years from now when the game is a distant memory (and hopefully JC3 is out, and even better).

News Comments > Just Cause 2 DLC This Week
25. Re: Just Cause 2 DLC This Week Apr 7, 2010, 08:20 Ecthelion

Creston wrote on Apr 6, 2010, 17:12:
Ecthelion wrote on Apr 5, 2010, 08:36:
Thanks to this game, every day when I commute to and from work and I see some big tower, my first thought is wondering how much explosives would be required to destroy it.

In other words, I'm having a blast with this game.

Just don't go blowing up people's water towers. I doubt the cops will look kindly on an excuse of "but I need to cause Chaos!"

Eh, the water towers near me look very little like the ones in JC2. The radio towers, however, look almost exactly the same...

News Comments > Just Cause 2 DLC This Week
22. Re: Just Cause 2 DLC This Week Apr 5, 2010, 08:36 Ecthelion

Thanks to this game, every day when I commute to and from work and I see some big tower, my first thought is wondering how much explosives would be required to destroy it.

In other words, I'm having a blast with this game.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 31, 2010, 08:21 Ecthelion

My parents have lived on a street ending in a cul-de-sac for about 10 years now (and I think they lived on a similar street prior to that), and I have lived on a street ending in a cul-de-sac for the past few months (both of them are "Drives" by the way). Both of us live in Virginia, and my parents are originally from New Jersey and North Carolina. Neither of them have ever referred to that kind of road as a "cove"... they've always called them cul-de-sacs. During the several months when my wife and I were looking for a house, our real estate agent and us always referred to this kind of street as a "cul-de-sac". Ever since, nobody has ever been confused by our usage of the word. If "cove" is a southern thing, I've never encountered it.

For the record, I don't consider myself a southerner; I just live in the south. I don't have a southern accent, I don't listen to country or bluegrass, I don't have a confederate flag, and I stay as far away from religion as I possibly can. But I live near and work with a lot of people who fit some or all of those stereotypes, and whenever I mention my street everyone knows what I mean by "cul-de-sac". This is the first time I've ever encountered the term "cove". I've seen it used in street names, bu that's it.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia, "cove" is prevalent in Memphis, TN, but not anywhere else in the state. That could explain why it's not heard in other areas of the south.

This comment was edited on Mar 31, 2010, 08:28.

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Mar 26, 2010, 09:18 Ecthelion

Torchlight is a well-made game, but it didn't hold my interest very long. I just have no patience for Diablo-style games anymore. If you like that kind of game though, definitely pick up Torchlight.  

News Comments > On Mouse DPI
21. Re: On Mouse DPI Mar 25, 2010, 10:27 Ecthelion

ForgedReality wrote on Mar 24, 2010, 23:51:
This is, without a doubt, the best input device ever created. I've used them for years, and I fucking HATE it whenever I am forced to use a regular mouse. They feel archaic and they require a ridiculous amount of desk space. I could never get used to the pick-up-and-drag of a mouse again, and the wrist strain alone is enough to switch.
I use that mouse at work, and I keep meaning to get one for home. Like you, I hate the pick-up-and-drag of mice, and a few years ago I used a Microsoft trackball (I forget which model, but I know they don't make it anymore) for gaming. Time to go back to a trackball I think.

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Game Reviews Mar 24, 2010, 12:27 Ecthelion

Creston wrote on Mar 24, 2010, 11:06:
Is everyone that plays/reviews games nowadays too young to understand "camp" as a method of entertainment?

Most reviews of JC2 that I see whine about the dialogue and the voice acting being awful. It's intentionally awful. It's called CAMP. It goes with the whole motto of everything being ridiculously over-the-top.
Yeah, anyone who can read the description of the effeminate colonel (I think it's the first one on the list), and not understand that it's intentionally over-the-top needs to get a thorough education in comedy.

News Comments > Episodes from Liberty City Delayed
7. Re: Episodes from Liberty City Delayed Mar 19, 2010, 15:39 Ecthelion

Slippery Jim wrote on Mar 19, 2010, 15:17:
Looking forward to the PS3 version. Wonder how much they will charge? I loved GTA4 but felt it a little short in length.
It's $40 on Amazon. The PC version is $10 cheaper. I'm looking forward to it myself, although I'm getting it on PC.

News Comments > Metro 2033 DLC Plans, Movies
9. Re: Metro 2033 DLC Plans, Movies Mar 17, 2010, 16:11 Ecthelion

Aero wrote on Mar 17, 2010, 14:51:
SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 17, 2010, 11:00:
In that stealth video 2 enemies standing beside the fire, one drops dead the other one just stands there not even making a move while the player lines up the second shot. Then the second one gets killed and the 3rd guy just walks by these 2.

We desperately need more advancement in AI. If some developer could create truly convincing AI, that one feature would make a game that was mediocre in all other aspects an instant classic. I imagine it's much more difficult in practice than it seems, but I would be more than happy to give up all of the enhancements in graphics from the last two or three years if that processing power went towards advanced AI in a new game.
I agree, but I think it's a long way off (if indeed we'll ever get there). With the rise of MMOs, I think AI is becoming even more of an afterthought than it was in the past, when I'd like to see it actually get more attention than ever.

News Comments > Dragon Age II In February 2011?
16. Re: Dragon Age 2 In February 2011? Mar 12, 2010, 07:48 Ecthelion

I preordered Awakenings because I want to support Bioware for making a quality, PC-oriented RPG that I more than got my money out of. If its length justifies the price of $40, all the better, but that's secondary to supporting the series (in my opinion).  

News Comments > Just Cause 2 DLC Details Leak?
7. Re: Just Cause 2 DLC Details Leak? Mar 11, 2010, 13:27 Ecthelion

Creston wrote on Mar 11, 2010, 13:24:
LittleMe wrote on Mar 11, 2010, 13:22:
lol I like your enthusiasm Creston.

Hahaha. I'm sitting at work doing nothing but watching Just Cause 2 youtube videos, and I'm giggling like a little schoolgirl. My colleagues keep coming over wondering what the hell I'm laughing at.

Creston
I did the same thing this morning, but it was before anyone else got in to work. I was already looking forward to the game based on the demo, but those videos are awesome.

News Comments > 15 Hours of Mafia II
18. Re: 15 Hours of Mafia II Mar 10, 2010, 15:34 Ecthelion

The first game had 20 missions, and I don't remember any of the missions taking more than an hour to complete (most were less). So the first game already had something like 15 hours of story gameplay (and I really don't know how an open-world game can estimate gameplay time for the non-story stuff). So what's the big deal?

In any case, he could be talking about the dialog, which would make this whole thing even less relevant.

News Comments > 15 Hours of Mafia II
2. Re: 15 Hours of Mafia II Mar 10, 2010, 10:53 Ecthelion

If you just count the storyline, I don't think the original had 60 hours of gameplay. I can't remember how long the story lasted, but judging from the number of missions it shouldn't be that long.

I'm assuming they're talking about the same thing here, because how can you quantify wandering around and other non-story gameplay?

In any case, as long as Mafia 2 has fun non-story activities, 15 hours for the story missions seems fine to me.

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Mar 9, 2010, 05:40 Ecthelion

everyone wrote on Mar 9, 2010, 03:23:
I wonder why they aren't including Hitman: Contracts in the bundle.
It's not on Steam at all, unfortunately. Something about a song in one level they couldn't get the rights to use. It's a shame that means ditching the whole game, because it has some fantastic levels.

News Comments > Just Cause 2 Demo
50. Re: Just Cause 2 Demo Mar 7, 2010, 10:13 Ecthelion

The game seems pretty fun... I think I'm going to get it from Amazon for $50 with a $15 coupon for a future video games (I'll probably use it for Episodes From Liberty City). The end of March is going to be busy for me - JC2, the GTA4 expansion, and DA:O expansion.  

25. Re: Just Cause 2 Demo Mar 4, 2010, 18:02 Ecthelion

Jerykk wrote on Mar 4, 2010, 16:16:
I've found that ever since Windows 2000, each new version of Windows has fewer annoyances (than its immediate predecessor) to disable after the initial installation.

Really? I feel the exact opposite way. Vista and Windows 7 piled on all the worthless security checks.

"Do you want to run this file?"
"Are you really sure?"
"Okay, just double-checking... you want to delete this right?"
"Hah! Just kidding. I know you want to run the file, not delete it, but I'm going to ask you anyway when you do want to delete anything so might as well get it out of the way now."
"Sorry, you can't run or delete this because you don't have the correct administrator privileges."
Yes really. Windows 2000 has the stupid internet connection wizard, stupid default My Computer / Explorer settings (things like hiding file extensions), the "welcome to Windows" tour thing, and a few other things I'm forgetting. Windows XP has the stupid Desktop Cleanup Wizard, the annoying language bar (I know it's useful for some people, but most of us will never use it), a pointless Windows tour, and the same stupid default Explorer settings as 2000. Vista has UAC and a few stupid default My Computer Explorer settings (but far less than 2000/XP, as I recall). Windows 7 has a few stupid Explorer settings IIRC, but less than previous OSes. Win7 UAC could actually be left on without too much annoyance, but I choose to turn it off.

One Vista / Windows 7 improvement I forgot is the vastly improved file transfer dialog. Finally we get some useful information when we're copying or moving files. I also find the Add/Remove programs applet to be much improved. Being able to use the installed programs list while something is uninstalling is something I've wanted to be able to do for years. Maybe with Windows 8 we'll finally get to uninstall more than one program at a time.

And don't even get me started on how monumentally stupid Windows Update was pre-Vista. Yeah, all this stuff should have been fixed years ago, but I'm just glad to have it now.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2010, 18:09.

6. Re: Just Cause 2 Demo Mar 4, 2010, 15:55 Ecthelion

I've found that ever since Windows 2000, each new version of Windows has fewer annoyances (than its immediate predecessor) to disable after the initial installation. So Windows 7 is worth the upgrade just for that, in my opinion. :p

But beyond that, there's the security improvements, decent 64-bit support, and the way it just feels modern compared to XP. All that for the slight drawback of a small loss of compatibility, which doesn't even affect many users.

So don't upgrade for a single game, upgrade because it's better than XP (except for the arguably minor compatibility factor).

1552 Comments. 78 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo