Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ecthelion

Real Name Ecthelion   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ecthelion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2002, 13:54
Total Comments 1533 (Pro)
User ID 15046

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 17, 2016, 09:58 Ecthelion

ForgedReality wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 02:16:
It's really kind of a shame. I really liked developing in ActionScript 3. It's object-oriented and surprisingly powerful.
I find it funny that people always comment about killing off Flash because it's full of security holes and it's hardly used at all anymore.

While it's true that it's full of security holes, it is still used by a LOT of websites. Online training for example is still largely Flash-based.

I will love it when Flash is no longer ever needed, but it's going to be a long time before that is true.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Batman – The Telltale Series Next Month; Retail in September
11. Re: Batman – The Telltale Series Next Month; Retail in September Jul 16, 2016, 09:20 Ecthelion

Bundy wrote on Jul 15, 2016, 21:41:
Ecthelion wrote on Jul 15, 2016, 21:34:
Bundy wrote on Jul 15, 2016, 14:05:
I liked the first season of Walking Dead and hated the second. I was pretty disappointed in Wolf Among Us and thought Game of Thrones was, by far, their worst entry. Didn't bother with the Borderlands one. The quality trend is going the wrong way.
I agree about Walking Dead Season 2, the beginning and ending felt forced to me, like bad writing to create an artificial situation. Tales of the Borderlands was a lot of fun for me, it was really funny and didn't kill off people just because it could.

Why didn't you like Wolf Among Us? I really enjoyed that one, and it got me into the Fables comics to boot.

I enjoyed the story. It definitely lured me in. But I didn't like the way they kept presenting us with fake "choices". And forcing the desired outcome regardless. I remember that I finally got tired of the Tweedles fucking with me so I opted to kill them both. There must have been a half dozen characters all telling me to not do it. Telltale REAAAALLY didn't want me to even try. By the end I was just fed up. I'd rather it be a tv series on HBO, than a game. It was the same with game of thrones when they kept trying to get you to submit to the Whitehills. In the end I kept refusing to spite Telltale.
I agree about Game of Thrones, especially the bullshit final choice.

I played both paths (meaning I played it again and chose all of the opposite choices) in Wolf Among Us, and I don't think the lack of choice was a problem. Bigby isn't supposed to go around just killing people, and getting shot by the one Tweedle (I forget which) wasn't life-threatening for him. It's a little more obvious if you read the comics, but all they did was basically beat him up in reality. I honestly didn't think there were fewer choices in Wolf Among Us than Walking Dead Season 1, but to each their own.

I think if you go back and examine that game, you will see that it's really no different. The choices there might SEEM to be more consequential but they're really not.

Bundy wrote on Jul 15, 2016, 23:18:
But I still want that Wolf Among Us TV series.
I'm not sure if it's out yet, but the game has been / is being adapted into a comic. The story takes place before the Fables comic series, which I highly recommend reading. A few of the characters transfer over (including most of the major characters in the game, some of whom meet untimely ends in the comics), and the stories are great. People don't usually die for no reason, but they do get killed off fairly regularly. Anyway, it has the same great skill at twisting fairy tales and the plots and characters are fascinating. There is some great character development too.

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 2016, 09:26.

News Comments > Batman – The Telltale Series Next Month; Retail in September
5. Re: Batman – The Telltale Series Next Month; Retail in September Jul 15, 2016, 21:34 Ecthelion

Bundy wrote on Jul 15, 2016, 14:05:
I liked the first season of Walking Dead and hated the second. I was pretty disappointed in Wolf Among Us and thought Game of Thrones was, by far, their worst entry. Didn't bother with the Borderlands one. The quality trend is going the wrong way.
I agree about Walking Dead Season 2, the beginning and ending felt forced to me, like bad writing to create an artificial situation. Tales of the Borderlands was a lot of fun for me, it was really funny and didn't kill off people just because it could.

Why didn't you like Wolf Among Us? I really enjoyed that one, and it got me into the Fables comics to boot.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 8, 2016, 18:56 Ecthelion

nin wrote on Jul 8, 2016, 15:13:
And just think...it's running on x86 now...
Before you get TOO excited, remember that it's EMULATED on x86. It's hard to believe Microsoft would ever emulate 360 games on PC. I still think our best bet for RDR on PC is a native HD remaster of the game for PS4/XboxOne (which would be different from the 360 game emulated on XboxOne, with better textures and such). So far this generation, Rockstar has only done emulated games (although that does take some programming, since the PS2 on PS4 emulation adds trophies and PS4 features like Share, and the 360 emulation apparently needs some changes as well), not remasters. But that might change, who knows.

Right now the only way to get RDR playable on PS4 would be a HD remaster, and it would make a lot of sense for Rockstar to do that to tap into the larger PS4 user base, PLUS add all the PC players. Of course, they could just be happy with the extra players on Xbox One now, if they are only thinking small.

News Comments > Star Trek- Bridge Crew Details
9. Re: Star Trek- Bridge Crew Details Jun 30, 2016, 15:37 Ecthelion

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 13:45:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 11:25:
ViRGE wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 03:18:
You're my kind of people.

KA took some liberties with the size/agility of ships, but damn if it wasn't fun.

Thanks man. There's a whole mod community out there still dedicated to it. For those that can't get it to work on modern OS's including Win10 look for komat's patches. The game itself is ripe for a remake though, people would likely buy it up like no tomorrow but it wouldn't surprise me if it's one of those titles where no one knows who actually owns what, much like NOLF.

Man I still have the original CD's for KA box and all... what a game that was when it came out, FMV, proper story.. KLINGONS.. loved it. And not to forget, the, for the time, absolutely mind blowing damage model. (Modular destruction.. limited, but hey ;p)
Same here, I even made a special multi-disc jewel case setup for it with printed-out cover art, because the paper case the game came with was crap. I haven't played it in years but I'd probably enjoy going through it again if I could handle the difficulty at my old age.

I know GoG is selling Starfleet Academy (which I never played), but I think KA is in legal limbo most likely, as Mashiki suggested. I think BC is in the same state too.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 29, 2016, 19:00 Ecthelion

I thought this might be the good Avatar (The Last Airbender), but unfortunately it's the Cameron crappy movie. Then again, I hate MMOs and mobile games, so a combination of the two is about the worst thing I can imagine.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
44. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2016, 09:23 Ecthelion

PHJF wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 07:55:
And one part of the prophecy, which is only in the books, reads

SST After the finale with Jaime walking into the throne room, I'm convinced that's what's going to happen. The Kingslayer becomes The Queenslayer.
That prophecy could also refer to Tyrion, since he needs something to do when he flies into King's Landing on a dragon.

But yeah, Jamie doesn't look too pleased with the darker turn Cersei took. He planned to get Tommen back from the High Sparrow and Cersei had no interest in that. I wonder, if Tyrion hadn't killed Tywin would Cersei have done it herself the next time he messed up her plans?

In any case, things are certainly going to be interesting in King's Landing. If Cersei thought the citizens hated Joffrey, she is in for a whole new realm of unrest after killing hundreds of them in the bombing. Her zombie bodyguard can only fend off so many opponents before being overrun, if it comes to a mass uprising.

One interesting point though, by my estimation Cersei is the first legitimate ruler since Robert, since Joffrey and Tommen were both Lannisters with no blood or marital relation to Robert.

Also, I forgot one person, Stannis' wife (Shireen's mother) is probably a worse mother than Cersei. But only just barely.

39. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2016, 10:55 Ecthelion

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 01:17:
Ecthelion wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 22:58:
The rest of the episode was really enjoyable, but that first section in King's Landing, while fun to watch, just seemed so off.

Think about why she didn't want him buried properly.. the relationship was already busted when he invited the faith into the castle by inaction. By the time king proclaimed open support for the faith, she was out for brutal vengeance. She knew the consequences of him surviving... she made a gamble there and it turned out the best possible way. She gave him 1 !!! way out, as her son but king in name only. So to her, this was probably the most in character thing she has ever done. Remember she was out for blood after the "Walk of Shame"

Cersei was gunning for the throne,
and she isn't the type of women you scorn more than once.
Hmm, you may have a point.

In that case, she may be the worst human being so far in the series, worse than Joffrey and Ramsay. Certainly she is the worst mother around. The producers had me believing there was still some good in her when it came to being a mother, so maybe I'm just disappointed that she let revenge override her maternal instincts. Good parents love their children unconditionally, and it's pretty foolish of her to blame Tommen for falling under the High Sparrow's spell when she underestimated him and put him into power in the first place.

I guess this ties back to an earlier episode where Tywin chastised Cersei and Jamie for not thinking about the family name. At this point she has killed her uncle and his son, and it seems like she's too old to start again with new kids (I suppose Jamie could marry somebody and still continue the family but it seems unlikely given his tastes). It seems that revenge and power truly are all that motivate her at the end of the day, and she can't plan for the future. Qyburn and Jamie are her only real allies at this point. Even Robert knew how to appease allies better than her, but I guess she doesn't care about all that. The thing is, that strategy works fine when you have 3 dragons, but not so great when your resources are dwindling. How long does she really think she'll hold the Iron Throne?

Also, side note, but for Season 5 and 6, watching them on HBO Go, they go "inside" the episode after each episode and talk to the producers. EVERY time the guy with thin hair (D.B. Weiss) refers to Tommen, he pronounces it "Tome-in" while the other producer and EVERYONE on the show pronounces it "Tom-in". It's weird.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2016, 22:58 Ecthelion

Fion wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 13:21:
Personally I've found this season to be thrilling but also poorly written in many ways. It's just really obvious the writers didn't have a book to fall back on this time, and unlike the intrigue and crazy unexpected events and deaths that made it so you never knew what would happen next or who's time was up next is utterly gone.

spoilers s6e10
I can see why they will only do a half season, they basically lined everything up to let Daenerys wipe the floor with westeros now that most of it's nobles are dead, King's Landing is largely burnt to the ground and the only remaining major noble houses with any weatlh and large armies are going to side with her before she even arrives. And Tyrian all but came out and said 'there's this dude named John Snow that'll be just your type, you'll see!'

I also disliked the final episode for many reasons - though the fan service was awesome, several notable characters did things completely out of character. I mean Dorn backing Daenerys? If you know your history that's the last thing they'd EVER do. I guess that's why the show killed the Prince and put women into power. And how exactly does the Queen of Thorns know her grandkids are dead already? Or those in Winterfell knows that Walder Frey is dead when the SEAT OF ALL KNOWLEDGE in the realms didn't know that the Old Bear and Maester Aemon had died what is now years ago. We know from the first season that it takes months - during the summer - to travel from King's Landing to these places. A bird is going to cut that time down but not to days. Ah.. sometimes it doesn't pay off to be a book reader.

Sorry for caps but.. CERCEI ISN'T SMART ENOUGH TO PULL OFF THAT WIN! In the books every time she tries something of intrigue or a complicated web of lies and the shear numbers involved, she'd get caught.

Anyway I really look forward to Book 6, it'll be no where near as obvious and strait forward as Season 6 has been, even if it's been a fun show and Ep10 was basically just fan service. I'm also disliking how many characters have been given plot protection at this point. I'm sure there'll be some shocking deaths in S7 but we all know a few that won't die, no matter how dire things may become.
I thought the last episode was good overall, but one of the most out-of-character for me was Cersei.
How could she not have known that Tommen would have went over the edge (pun intended) when she killed Margaery? He mentioned how much he loved her several times in the past, and Cersei has shown she'd do anything for her children. But in her bombing the Great Sept, she put revenge above her son, which doesn't seem like her at all. Yes she gets revenge on her enemies, but she ALWAYS put her kids first in the past. Shit, she took the walk of shame only for Tommen's sake in the first place! And when Tommen kills himself, bitch don't even care! It seemed like it was just a way for the writers to get her last kid out of the picture so that nothing would tie her to her last vestiges of humanity. If they were going that route, they could have picked a better way to kill Tommen without making it Cersei's fault, or better yet, have her grieve over her grave mistake. Was this revenge for his abolishing the Trial by Combat, and seemingly abandoning her to her fate? That seems stupid, considering she stuck by Joffrey when he gave her the cold shoulder.

The rest of the episode was really enjoyable, but that first section in King's Landing, while fun to watch, just seemed so off.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2016, 16:48 Ecthelion

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 24, 2016, 16:19:
I don't care that they replaced the whole cast with women as the Ghost busters. Oh let me rewind that statement, I don't care as long as they don't put stupid female idioms into the movie like Screaming and Flailing arms when the going gets tough or "I'm just a girl, my make up is ruined now!"
I think you mean "sexist idioms", not "female idioms". Have you ever met any girls that do or say those things you listed? Those are old stereotypes that I doubt any producers are eager to reference in a 2016 movie.

Anyway, I hope these symptoms aren't anything serious, Blue. My wife is suffering from similar things and she's wondering if it's MS.

News Comments > Into the Black
8. Re: Into the Black Jun 22, 2016, 08:16 Ecthelion

Quboid wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 22:18:
Anyone watching the Copa America? It's getting a little Messi for the US men's soccer team.

Has Archer been good recently? I saw the episodes back when they were called ISIS but haven't seen after season ... 4? It ended in space, verging on jumping the shark.
I stopped watching around the same time. I think the space episode was the end of Season 3 actually. I keep meaning to go back and watch more, but I always find something else to watch. The seasons I watched were great though, so I'm glad more are coming.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 20, 2016, 14:39 Ecthelion

Creston wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 12:57:
HBO Now down for GoT.

HOW COINCIDENTAL!
You think you know all about it, do you? You know nothing, Creston.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 13, 2016, 15:55 Ecthelion

Cutter wrote on Jun 13, 2016, 13:33:
On May 31, ALA sent out an email to all affected employees, informing them of the incident. The Excel file held information such as real names, addresses and telephone numbers of 800+ ALA employees in various high school and college libraries across the state.

As usual, ISIS militants dumped the data online and asked supporters to carry out lone wolf operations against these targets. A few months earlier, the group did the same thing when they leaked the details of over 3,000 New Yorkers.

It's so long past due for the feds to get serious about IT security it's not funny.
From what I can see of my current job search in the Washington DC area, the government is serious about IT security when it comes to the DoD (or at least it's paying more lip service there). I guess they figure the security of us civilians isn't really important...

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2016, 17:33 Ecthelion

Not being a sports fan of any kind, I didn't know who Gordie Howe was, but I thought the name sounded familiar. Sure enough Gordie had a great non-speaking cameo in The Simpsons: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/06/gordie-howe-simpsons-woodrow-krabappel-cameo

News Comments > Hard Reset Redux Released
8. Re: Hard Reset Redux Released Jun 3, 2016, 14:59 Ecthelion

Slashman wrote on Jun 3, 2016, 13:44:
ItBurn wrote on Jun 3, 2016, 13:25:
Why???

Played the original and didn't really like it. It felt like a student project at times.

Likely because a lot of other folks have differing tastes than yours (thankfully).

I'm going to enjoy trying out the new version myself. Bring on the new robot overlords so I can kick them in the nads! Wait...where would the nads on a killer robot be located?
Probably their knees: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB5G0QwRhWg

News Comments > Disney Leaving Game Publishing
21. Re: Disney Leaving Game Publishing May 11, 2016, 09:22 Ecthelion

nin wrote on May 10, 2016, 21:09:
Sorry for the folks that lost their jobs.

Also, selfishly, I hope this means Marvel and Star Wars end up in Lego Dimensions.

YES! LEGO Dimensions did a great job of mixing up all the different franchises and it would be fun to see Marvel and SW mixed up with DC, LotR, Harry Potter, etc. Instant comedy would ensure with Batman calling Iron Man what he is, a clone of his character.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black May 11, 2016, 09:13 Ecthelion

He's definitely talented but it's a bit weird to see Stormtroopers and Clonetroopers with modern-day weapons mixed in with SW weapons. Creative license of course, but one reason I like SW is that it's fantasy. I'm glad he's not trying to make it too political though.

Also, he clearly hasn't watched much of the Clone Wars series if he thinks Clonetroopers don't "take care of their own".

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation May 9, 2016, 13:58 Ecthelion

Agent.X7 wrote on May 9, 2016, 13:42:
nin wrote on May 9, 2016, 10:35:
Here’s a Batman Arkham HD cover & June release date. Not that it’s happening or anything…

Wish they'd hurry up and finalize that. I've been pretty much only gaming on the ps4 lately, and would love another Asylum run...

Been playing through them on PC for the first time. Not a Batman fan, but the games are done well and pretty fun. I keep having to look up references that they make, though. Who knew Batman had a son? (Probably everyone but me...)
I've played through Asylum and City at least 3 times each, and I don't remember any mention of Damien? Unless you read about him while reading up on Talia's backstory.

Anyway, these games are some of my favorites. I'm not a big comic book geek so I don't know a lot of the characters. I went into Asylum completely unprepared except for of course knowing Joker and Batman. Thankfully the game is an easy introduction to the Batman universe. I think I even played City before I decided it was time to get acquianted with the characters by watching Batman The Animated Series. I highly recommend the series (which is on Amazon Prime Video, and then you can move onto the equally excellent Superman and Justice League shows), and it has a lot of the same voice actors as the games, at least until Arkham Knight changed things up by bringing in TV/movie actors for some of the roles. Each game has improved on the gameplay but I have a soft spot for Asylum. Sometimes it's good for games to be relatively small in scope (and map size) especially when dealing with zillions of collectibles. I'd play Asylum and City again on PS4, no question.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Into the Black Apr 28, 2016, 09:37 Ecthelion

NegaDeath wrote on Apr 27, 2016, 22:11:
descender wrote on Apr 27, 2016, 18:07:
Worst thing is Zelda is now getting pushed off for the NX launch, meaning that NX owners get to start with another half-assed version of Zelda like the Wii owners got (TP was developed as a gamecube game).

Nintendo, I love you but... get your shit together.

Oh it potentially gets worse. Remember how the Wii was basically an overclocked gamecube? This new dual launch of the next Zelda makes me worry they're pulling that shit again.
Well, the good side of that is that the Wii U is essentially backwards compatible with Gamecube games, and homebrew mods for it to play Gamecube games work great.

But while I like backwards compatibility, I agree that Nintendo needs to make the NX a true next-gen system and not just a beefier Wii U with better resolution. Building a better online network would be a start... apart from its lack of great security, Sony has nice features for PSN. I'm spoiled by having Vita and PS4 saves uploaded automatically every night. If my Wii U or 3DS die, I lose all my saves (except for cartridge saves on the 3DS), so that sucks. I like Nintendo and their focus on fun games, so I genuinely hope they can catch up and succeed with a good system in the NX.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Poor Security of Healthcare Sector Apr 27, 2016, 08:58 Ecthelion

Brazor wrote on Apr 26, 2016, 23:16:
Nothing in that article is shocking.
They're not going to upgrade to win 10 because it's not compatible with the software of the equipment they use or with the software used for charting.
Even if such a switch was available the price is expected to be too high to risk. Given that there will be undiscovered bugs that could cause problems. The lawsuit potential is too high for them to do it.

Microsoft would need to fork over the cash to do it themselves and back it up in court.
That article is awful. 3% usage of Windows XP is actually pretty damned good considering how much old software the Healthcare industry uses that doesn't run on Vista and newer. Using Windows 7 is a problem? Why? It's on Extended Support (i.e. security updates and fixes) for almost 4 more years.

Of course the Healthcare industry uses IE, it's the only browser that is easy to administer. Using old versions is an issue, but it's going to be the norm for Healthcare and probably any industry to mostly use IE. I noticed that the article did not compare the browser stats for other industries, they only compared the usage of IE10 and earlier across industries. So the comparison points aren't even good.

I also thought the statement about Flash was interesting: "while in other sectors Flash was installed on 25 percent of all devices, in healthcare organizations Flash was found on 52 percent of all computers". Notice that it's comparing "devices" in all work sectors versus "computers" in Healthcare. Smartphone, tablets, and other non-computer usage is very prevalent in a lot of industries, so that 25 percent stat is probably deceptively low since all Apple devices and newer Android devices aren't going to have Flash. I would be willing to bet Flash installations are close to 52 percent on actual COMPUTERS in other industries. That shouldn't be surprising either, because as much as Flash sucks, it's still required by tons of websites and applications. I no longer have it installed and I can't even count how many pages I visit won't show me video because of it. The transition to HTML5 is probably going to take several more years, and that's if it ever replaces Flash completely at all, which is far from certain.

What an amateur, horribly written article.

This comment was edited on Apr 27, 2016, 14:48.

1533 Comments. 77 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo