Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1702 (Pro)
User ID 15013
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
4. Re: Saturday Mobilization Dec 12, 2015, 17:14 killer_roach
jdreyer wrote on Dec 12, 2015, 15:00:
Will one of them have a replaceable battery and include a micro SD card slot? Getting ready to change the battery in my S4.

Not sure on the battery, but likely you'll see some variants with microSD (after all, even the Note 5 had one that had microSD support, even if it wasn't sold directly in the US).
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2015, 20:16 killer_roach
Cutter wrote on Dec 9, 2015, 11:16:
Oh relax. These are always followed up by a La Nina, so it should be penis shrinkingly cold next year. And while it's warmer than historical averages atm, people always seem to think December should be colder and snowier than it normally is too. Wait until we hit Jan/Feb and see what happens.

Mind you, after two straight years of Polar Vortex activity, I don't think the average La Nina would really rate in terms of significance (it got down to -15 where I was living in Kentucky last winter).
8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2015, 19:05 killer_roach
jdreyer wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 12:11:
Enjoy your retirement, Neil!

It sounds like it might be a semi-retirement - he's almost assuredly done with touring, but he may still do studio work if he feels like it. Geddy and Alex seem to think he'll still record, but on his terms. (In the meantime Geddy apparently is working on a new solo album, which gives you some idea of the timeframe he's expecting Neil to take to poking his head around a studio again.)
News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 7, 2015, 15:09 killer_roach
Stormsinger wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 14:27:
Cutter wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 12:21:
Utterly useless, overpriced crap.

It's not all that often I agree with you, but in this case, I find myself 100% in your camp.

$1500? That's gotta be a remarkably niche market. Probably the same crowd that buys those $100 hamburgers we heard about a few years back.

And it doesn't appear to be all that much materially better from a technological or an aesthetic standpoint from Fossil's $250 smartwatch... I know you're paying largely for name with a TAG Heuer, but still...

All I can say is, if you think that's pricey, I shudder at the thought of what happens when Patek Philippe decides to get into the smartwatch market.
News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 5, 2015, 21:42 killer_roach
Cutter wrote on Dec 4, 2015, 21:25:
Yeah because so many people and restos use sous vide now, right? Fuck that, make food in pill form like the Jetsons already!

Sous vide is, as you probably know, incredibly ill suited for restaurants, short of types like Alinea, Moto, or Noma - it takes absolutely forever to cook anything that way (some people swear by 24 hour plus cooking times for sous vide preparations).

As for ordinary people... that's what they're trying to attract. In reality, for meat preparations sous vide is perfect for the Crock Pot set - possibly even better, as you're not as likely to burn anything if your liquid boils off (which it can't do in sous vide, the temperatures are too low).

Then again, your mileage may vary - I'm actually looking at buying myself an immersion cooker for Christmas, mostly for steaks and fish, but I realize that I am close to the epitome of a lazy bachelor foodie.
News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 3, 2015, 18:29 killer_roach
HorrorScope wrote on Dec 3, 2015, 10:59:
LOL at the Balmer article, he's right. He's just like us now, the same questions and problems, but he has inner connections as well. Sure he comes across butt hurt, but he's right to.

Ballmer was a terrible manager, but he's a numbers guy of the first order. That's how he got involved Microsoft in the first place - he's genuinely a mathematical genius. Getting into an argument on the strategy with him might be a winning move, but not the numbers.
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 3, 2015, 17:55 killer_roach
Ecthelion wrote on Dec 3, 2015, 14:29:
Jivaro wrote on Dec 3, 2015, 11:00:
If I was going to buy a Galaxy today it would be a S5....but chances are I wouldn't buy a Galaxy. I would probably pick a LG or a HTC if I was buying something today.
I had a HTC M8 One that I really liked, but then one day the camera stopped working, and some Googling revealed that it was a recurring problem with no guaranteed permanent fix. That's pretty dumb, and something I have never run into with an Android or iOS phone before. So for my next phone I switched back to Samsung and did get the S6. It's a nice phone, but the lack of removable battery and memory is dumb, especially since carriers are not fully subsidizing phone costs now and users are less likely to upgrade as often. More devices are starting to go the internal-only battery/storage route though.

I don't tend to keep tons of things on my phone where I would need an external SD card (but I don't listen to music or watch videos much on my phone), and I'm likely to upgrade it before the battery goes bad. But the flexibility is nice.

Now where it would be a deal-breaker for me is on a tablet. Tablets are perfect for putting lots of videos and files on for plane and car rides, especially for kids. External SD comes in handy for that.

I intended to get an LG G4 when I upgraded my phone... then T-Mobile made me an offer I couldn't refuse on the Note 5. Still don't like the lack of a microSD slot, but other than that I'm probably happier with it than I would have been with the G4.
News Comments > PC Shadow Complex Remastered Revealed
7. Re: PC Shadow Complex Remastered Revealed Dec 2, 2015, 22:19 killer_roach
Jerykk wrote on Dec 2, 2015, 12:24:
Windows 10 exclusive?

Seems doubtful, but with Microsoft you never know.

Really enjoyed it when it came out, but it's been a long time that I've been waiting for a PC version - at this point it had better be cheap.
News Comments > Winter Sale
27. Re: Winter Sale Dec 2, 2015, 18:02 killer_roach
Shok wrote on Dec 2, 2015, 15:16:
Bought a mystery game for shits and giggles and got Beatbuddy. Looks interesting, not sure when I have time to download and try it heh.

I did similarly, and got Europa Universalis 3 Complete.

Goodbye life...
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 1, 2015, 15:10 killer_roach
Creston wrote on Dec 1, 2015, 13:00:
I think I'm at job 22 in my life. They've predominantly all been in IT though.

I'm at job 10, fifth career field, transitioning into an eleventh and sixth respectively.
17. Re: A Car Dealers Wont Sell: Its Electric Dec 1, 2015, 14:17 killer_roach
wtf_man wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 20:21:
Actually, electric motors have way more torque... but towing or doing something heavy-duty would drain the battery way too fast.

A Dodge RAM eco-diesel might be your ticket... and if the word goes kaflooey, you can always run it on scrounged fry oil.

Going back to VW, they're talking about having a diesel/electric hybrid version of the Audi Q7 - that should have torque coming out its ears (even if it'll use a straight-six diesel as opposed to anything crazier, like the old V10 diesels they had in the early TDI Touaregs). Similarly, although I haven't heard anything specifically, I wouldn't be surprised if you see something similar from Mercedes in their larger SUVs (GLE- and GLS-class) or the Vito/Sprinter vans before too long.
News Comments > Team17 Freebie Advent Calendar
1. Re: Team17 Freebie Advent Calendar Dec 1, 2015, 14:03 killer_roach
Team17, want to do something that would actually excite me with this promotion? Actually release Worms Battlegrounds for PC. Hell, I'd even pay close to full price for it. (Worms just isn't right on a console...)  
19. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 1, 2015, 12:34 killer_roach
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 1, 2015, 07:45:
Packstation only works for DHL packages and at least where I live it's ALWAYS full during xmas. Otherwise that's a good idea.. still would prefer a drone landing on my roof dropping package in a rain proof container and flying away. But you are right of course... considering how insane our regulations are it's a miracle postal service is even allowed to deliver packages... where I live drone can definitely NOT land in the garden ;p Not to mention I don't want my packages sitting in the garden ~.~

Siting is definitely an issue - where I'm at (if the FAA clears these operations) I could just have it land on my balcony, where anybody willing to go through the hassle of getting up there probably deserves that box more than I do But yeah, most people aren't that fortunate as it pertains to a good, undisturbed location. (If this catches on, though, I could almost see a market in developing some sort of a drop chute system for drones to deliver into...)
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 30, 2015, 12:55 killer_roach
The Half Elf wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 11:11:
The local Amazon warehouse here in Norther Kentucky/Cincinnati is right next door to the Airport, how exactly is this going to work Stateside?

Not every Amazon fulfillment center is in the middle of nowhere. The CVG node in Hebron, I admit, is rather population-isolated, but the other nodes in Kentucky (LEX and SDF) could cover significant portions of two metro areas. Also, in recent years, you're seeing more facilities built closer to large cities - in terms of the sites that might be using Prime Air, you have one right on the outskirts of Dallas, a couple that could cover decent parts of southern California (although not LA or SD specifically), a smaller center in Manhattan, and sites getting ready to open or in the planning stages that are in drone range of quite a few more major cities.

That being said, things will get interesting once they develop further generations of drones that have improved range - not talking anything huge, but if they could expand that radius from 15 to, say, 50 miles that could potentially cover tons more people, especially for fulfillment centers in and around major metro areas (for instance, a 50 mile radius would be enough to get the large facility in southeast Wisconsin to deliver to around the north side of Chicago, not to mention pretty much all of Milwaukee).
News Comments > Pre-Steam Sale Prices Raised?
25. Re: Pre-Steam Sale Prices Raised? Nov 27, 2015, 19:21 killer_roach
HorrorScope wrote on Nov 27, 2015, 15:57:
There are 1000's of games on Steam and these huge names listed are supposed to get me riled up over this? Wreckfest? Dealership fucking Tycoon? Epistory? Snooozeville.

Wreckfest is Bugbear's (Flatout devs) next game... also the one where the price raise may just be coincidence, as it is in Early Access. (Not unusual for games to raise in price as they go through Early Access.)
12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2015, 15:10 killer_roach
I have one of those - had it for quite a few years now, but it is quite comfortable. Having grown up in Michigan (and living in Wisconsin), I'm pretty well acclimated to the cold, but it's nice to have when the temps are between 10 and 30F (anything less than that and I bring out the big guns - the heavy-duty Carhartt jacket).  
News Comments > Morning Metaverse
14. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 23, 2015, 16:05 killer_roach
Cutter wrote on Nov 23, 2015, 14:53:
Edit: So I looked them up and they've sold seven million songs over 15 years. There last album sold 135k copies over a period of several years. The guy only has 47k Twitter followers. So yeah, they're really not a big deal. This isn't like U2 or Adele or someone huge. They're a C level band.

Seven million units in the US alone, which in retail sales terms is almost completely albums (especially in the US where singles sales are low). Two RIAA platinum albums (which require sales of over 1,000,000 units in the US).

Granted, they're not as big of a band as they were ten years ago, but anymore 135K albums is pretty sizable (seeing as people don't buy many albums at retail anymore) - keep in mind that in the US the threshold for a top-ten-selling album in a year is around a million copies these days. (Also, Wikipedia mentions that 135K number was in the first week of release - that's a #1 album. They're at just shy of 300K in the US alone now with it, and that's after a hiatus and reshuffling of every member other than the lead singer.)

Also, using Adele and U2 as comparison points is being deliberately disingenuous, seeing as they are two of the top three selling acts in the world right now (along with Taylor Swift). The drop off between them and literally anyone else in album sales and concert revenues is massive (well, with the exception of Katy Perry on the live front). I'm beginning to think that not only are you trolling, but you're not very good at it, either. Three minutes of Googling can demolish everything you've written on this topic.
News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 16, 2015, 19:16 killer_roach
deqer wrote on Nov 16, 2015, 12:42:
Whenever I see the "Black Friday" words, I think of the walmart youtube videos where people are fighting each other, and stomping over people when the gate opens. :/

My employer thanks you for keeping that in people's minds
7. Re: I'm leaving Android for IOS Nov 12, 2015, 21:43 killer_roach
Ozmodan wrote on Nov 12, 2015, 19:09:
and I thought only kids were the only ones who played a lot of games on a phone. Personally think the quality of mobile games poor at best and have to find one I can play more than an hour or so and that is on a pad not a phone. Phone screens are just too small.

I agree, a really stupid article, kind of have to question the site editor for letting such trash be on his site.

Ben Kuchera is one of the editors there at Polygon... that's how.

Then again, I doubt many will consider the former gaming editor at Ars Technica as being a purveyor of much that could pass for sense.
News Comments > Fallout 4 GeForce Tweaking Guide
34. Re: Fallout 4 GeForce Tweaking Guide Nov 9, 2015, 13:52 killer_roach
LittleMe wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 11:47:
False. Only at maximum settings, which nVidia is exploiting that fact to urge us to buy their top end, premium priced cards. Wait for more thorough performance analysis.

Exactly. If you're gaming at 4K, things like AA/AF aren't as important, and can be pretty easily scaled back (or jettisoned) if need be.
1702 Comments. 86 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo