Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1689 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games
13. Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games Jun 1, 2016, 16:58 killer_roach

nin wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 16:53:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 16:15:
So can someone explain to me exactly why steam is this evil devil of software?

I've never had an issue.. ever.

so what's the beef?

I've not had an issue either, but something I hear come up a lot is their notoriously bad customer service, where people open a ticket and never hear back from anyone (or taking weeks or months, or so they claim).

That, and when you're the biggest, people think it's cool to hate on that...

I've actually had titles disappear from my Steam library before. Most of the time it's something I wasn't that concerned about, but there have been times where it's even deleted Valve games that I had previously bought. Each time, I've had to go through customer support, which tends to take close to a week to resolve...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Sales Record
7. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Sales Record May 28, 2016, 11:36 killer_roach

NetHead wrote on May 28, 2016, 07:10:
A crossover between two franchises Total War and Warhammer, gee all they had to do to get sale records was not screw it up. Shocker.

In all fairness, "not screw it up" has been a bar that Creative Assembly has had trouble clearing in recent years.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 23, 2016, 17:29 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on May 23, 2016, 15:51:
Cutter wrote on May 23, 2016, 14:04:
Format wars - for a peripheral - are completely asinine. These idiots are going to kill VR before it even gets going with this nonsense. You could just see Lucky die inside when Zuckerberg told him this was what was going down. Well, that's what selling out gets you.

Yeah, I get that FB wants to recoup its $2B, but you're right that fracturing the market is going damage this nascent technology. The long run does not favor FB in this endeavor, as they can pay for only so many exclusives. Game studios want the widest audience, and that's on Steam.

The question remains how long Valve's hardware partner can stay solvent, though - HTC's financials are dire. Oculus may have the dominant position simply by waiting for their competition to collapse.

News Comments > MS Rebuffed Lionhead Buyers?
18. Re: MS Rebuffed Lionhead Buyers? May 12, 2016, 06:30 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on May 11, 2016, 14:15:
MS is the proverbial bull in a china shop. How many studios have they closed or caused to be closed? Still pissed about GPG going under because MS canceled a game they were in the middle of.

Hell, they nearly managed to shutter Obsidian by having them work on a project, then killing it late in development, and they didn't even own them...

The thing is, this isn't news to anyone who understands how Microsoft's internal structure has operated over the years. It's one big circular firing squad over there unless you're on the Windows or Office teams.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
7. Re: Saturday Mobilization May 2, 2016, 08:15 killer_roach

wtf_man wrote on May 1, 2016, 20:41:
I think we all can agree that the Atom was going nowhere because it it was too under-powered. Well... I don't have any experience with recent Atoms, I'm talking about ones from a couple years ago.

Recent Atom SoCs were decent enough from the CPU side of things, but their GPU performance was atrocious. Not to mention few app developers ever bothered to do much compatibility testing against Atom, so you were often better off picking up something with a MediaTek SoC instead, much less the latest and greatest from Qualcomm, Samsung, or Apple.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
3. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Apr 23, 2016, 22:02 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Apr 23, 2016, 13:14:
Feds: "We were thwarted in our bullshit attempts to completely and utterly destroy every last shred of privacy that existed, but don't worry, we'll try again soon, and we'll keep trying until we succeed.

Sincerely Fucking You Over,
- your government agents."

Well, prior to San Bernardino, Apple was more than happy to comply with the feds... they're probably miffed at being jilted like that.

"We thought you loved us!"

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2016, 14:34 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Apr 19, 2016, 13:07:
Wow, how much did Apple pay for that advertorial. Apple is evil, plain and simple.

At the very least, this "penchant" is a recently-discovered one - they were more than happy to work with law enforcement, often without a warrant, until it came to the San Bernardino shooter's phone. Now they're becoming more consistent on it regardless, but it's a new development regardless.

News Comments > GameStop's Publishing Division
3. Re: GameStop's Publishing Division Apr 18, 2016, 21:50 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Apr 18, 2016, 20:59:
Interesting idea. Hope it works out.

I didn't think that $15M was a big game anymore.

$10-15m is probably about the floor for a AAA game from a major publisher anymore. The "second tier" of publishers (Ubisoft, Capcom, Namco Bandai, etc.) might occasionally slide under that, but not by much.

That said, $15m is probably a safe minimum benchmark for what you would consider a game equivalent to so-called "tentpole" feature films, marketing budget not included.

Overall, it's an interesting space - seems like they're trying to slot in just below the likes of a Ubisoft but above, say, Devolver Digital. Putting my economist's hat on, it's a somewhat risky venture, but also one that could be lucrative if done right by poaching the sort of creative, middle-scale titles that most of the big guns are too risk-averse to touch. Then again, there's been others who have tread this path before - Gathering Of Developers, Crave, Groove, et cetera - with a lot of carcasses in their wake.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
18. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 14, 2016, 07:18 killer_roach

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 13, 2016, 20:00:
And it wasn't true on my old '03 Cobra, either. She, too, had IRS. I could not get that back end to step out no matter how hard I tried.

Most of the modern Shelby-tuned Mustangs have IRS, although until very recently they were the only ones that did.

That said, not really a fan of the sports coupes - most of them aren't meant to fit somebody my size comfortably (6'3.5", 235 pounds, and possessing a long, wide torso). I'd rather have something like a Ford Taurus SHO, Chevy SS (boo to GM for killing it off), Hyundai Genesis R-Spec, or, if I came into serious amounts of money, a BMW M5 or Mercedes E63 AMG. I'd rather go fast without having to shoehorn myself into the vehicle.

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: etc. Apr 11, 2016, 04:51 killer_roach

Quboid wrote on Apr 10, 2016, 19:38:
He kinda reminds me of George Lucas. He made good films when he didn't have a huge reputation and ego and the people around him could tell him when he was making a mistake. Creative types need freedom but they also need to be criticise-able.

I wonder who Molyneux's Irving Kirschner is, then.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Apr 10, 2016, 19:29 killer_roach

rudra wrote on Apr 10, 2016, 16:49:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 10, 2016, 16:34:
Given Molyneux's many post-Bullfrog failures, it's amazing the company was as good as it was back then.

not really. you've got a team of like 10 people, so its much MUCH easier to reign in the 1 crazy guy

Or, conversely, there's less damage for the one crazy guy to do, and less friction involved with simply humoring the crazy guy.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2016, 17:12 killer_roach

Have a leg up on you for freakish weather, Blue - right now in Kenosha, Wisconsin it's 67 degrees... and snow is expected tonight. Projected 40-degree drop in the next 12-18 hours... yeesh.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
8. Re: Intel may turn to AMD for Radeon graphics tech licensing. Mar 28, 2016, 02:20 killer_roach

And between the two of them they still probably can't write a halfway decent video driver to save their lives...  

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2016, 21:41 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Mar 19, 2016, 11:46:
It's called ROI. How much money is there to be made refurbishing old games? Some no doubt but enough to make it worthwhile? GOG gets by sure, but they also have new games. And how many GOGs could be sustainable?

Pretty sure a lot of it comes down to economies of scale - try to resurrect a couple games through emulation, you're probably never seeing your money back. A couple dozen? Maybe. A couple hundred? Now you're at least getting into the conversation - after all, if you only have to develop (or license) the emulation tech once for each class of hardware, getting to market with as much as is humanly possible seems a near-requirement in terms of making anything like that happen in an economically-viable way.

News Comments > CryENGINE V Goes Pay What You Want
14. Re: CryENGINE V Goes Pay What You Want Mar 16, 2016, 06:41 killer_roach

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 16, 2016, 03:45:
CryEngine must be a beast of complexity with fairly poor documentation according to info from many CIG behind the scenes features. I agree that it was probably the worst engine choice they could possibly make but that's what happens when you have a CEO who returns to gaming after a decade and just knows that Crysis looked cool and goes for it.

Anyway, I doubt that there will be many indie devs able to put it to good use due to the high demands. They will be using engines that will get the job done more efficiently (less cost, less time, less training, less support). It's probably also much easier to find employees who have experience with UE or Unity than with CE.
That's why I wouldn't exactly expect a flood of CE games from this move... unless what Yerli said is actually true and CE 5 really is a massive revamp of the whole thing but that sounded more like marketing talk than anything else. Guess we'll see...

Well, not really a surprise that they went that route, as Amazon Lumberyard already does similar (and that uses CryEngine as a base). Might be a case of "why pay for CryEngine when Lumberyard gives me all this stuff for free (apart from the cost of AWS for online features)?"

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2016, 01:24 killer_roach

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 5, 2016, 23:20:
To be clear, Mythbusters did not prove we landed on the moon, they just disproved some of the contrarian theories out there. Namely that the ambient lighting, flag physics, and footprint preservation are scientifically accurate as depicted in that old footage.

Well, they also tested one of the retro-reflectors left on the moon by one of the Apollo missions... basically indicating there were man-made objects placed on the moon where the astronauts said they put them.

5. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Mar 5, 2016, 21:29 killer_roach

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 5, 2016, 20:46:
Maybe if they add water to it like Gremlins....

No charging it after midnight.

3. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Mar 5, 2016, 20:37 killer_roach

ZeroPike1 wrote on Mar 5, 2016, 15:00:
Amazing, a dormant cyber plague on the guys Iphone. Words... not enough words to say to this idea. Yeah make up BS to get your way in the courts.

If it's dormant, all the better reason not to be poking at it...

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2016, 13:12 killer_roach

PHJF wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 11:01:
I would say they can't heavily award Fury Road because in the end it was a thrill ride instead of a cohesive and thoughtful narrative... but they gave Gravity best picture, so what the hell do I know. Revenant was the same, albeit with more cinematographic gusto. Boyhood was boring as fuck all but in an industry now ruled by Marvel boots, reboots, and sequels, I guess you gotta give people chops for doing something different.

Boyhood was directed by Richard Linklater, who carries a lot of art-house cinema cred. There's cinephiles who will go nuts over anything he does, regardless of quality (and he's usually short on quality, but long on creativity, even if that creativity often borders on novelty).

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 23, 2016, 00:14 killer_roach

jimnms wrote on Feb 22, 2016, 18:04:
You're also forgetting that these VW engines already passed the emissions tests when they were certified and weren't cheating. There are many ways to clean diesel exhaust, the most common is to use an exhaust fluid which reacts with the NOx and breaks it down into water and nitrogen. The exhaust fluid method works and doesn't impact performance or mileage, and not much of it is needed so the the exhaust fluid only needs topping off during an oil change. For some reason VW decided to go with a NOx trap instead, which traps the NOx and periodically burns it off, but during this cycle the engine is less powerful and consumes more fuel. Then they decided to cheat and turn off this cycle to keep the engines from losing power and fuel economy.

Yeah, the urea (AdBlue) process works pretty well - it's what Chevy uses in their Cruze diesel (which, thanks to Dieselgate and the drop in gas prices, can be had relatively affordably), and what BMW and Mercedes use in their diesels (as well as VW/Audi diesels with six or more cylinders, although those are currently under a stop-sale order like their four-cylinder kin due to having the defeat device despite likely being okay on emissions still). Mercedes and BMW already have their diesels meeting EURO 6 emissions targets, which are actually somewhat stricter than those the EPA uses (for once)... also, for low-end torque there just isn't anything that beats a diesel that doesn't require being plugged in on a regular basis (the current Mercedes four-cylinder diesel is good for almost 300 lb-ft of torque - more than the eight-cylinder petrol engine in my car produces).

1689 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo