Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1695 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Another Steam User Record
34. Re: Another Steam User Record Oct 26, 2015, 18:52 killer_roach

Krovven wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 18:18:
I don't get what you are describing. Based on you saying you get randomly logged out all the time...I'd say there is an issue with your connection somewhere between you and the Steam servers. Could be settings at your ISP, could be a faulty modem/router, or could just be a bad node somewhere.

I had it happen for like a day recently... fine now, regardless.

Overall, I'd describe Steam's software quality as "quirky". Very little that's game-breakingly bad (although it's mysteriously deleted a couple of games from my inventory before - sometimes it was doing me a favor, but I contacted Valve when it happened with Portal 2. They got it sorted out in about a week), but quite a few little things that make it feel like something short of a mature piece of software. UI lags, display quirks, and an update system with a proclivity toward locking up the entire application for a few moments... but since most of these mostly get filed under "nuisances", and tend to be experienced by those who are the most disproportionately invested in the platform, these usually get swept under the rug. Not necessarily terrible for the users, but it provides a broken feedback loop for developers.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Another Steam User Record Oct 26, 2015, 13:07 killer_roach

Deathbishop wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 12:51:
You can't be a serious competitor when 2/3rds of all game publishers won't even consider selling their game on your platform due to DRM-Free.

I was going to add that in there, but I figured it wasn't necessary - it would either be inferred or someone else would add it.

13. Re: Another Steam User Record Oct 26, 2015, 12:40 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 12:10:
Steam has been getting worse for years. A shitty, bloated UI that sees little change except for the worse. Virtually non-existent CS. Sales that have sucked for years now. A useless return policy. On and on it goes. By virtue of their size they remain. Start a competing service that's as bad as they are and you'd never survive now. And it's only because the publishers with their own platforms are too stupid and greedy to compete with Steam that it remains viable.

The biggest thing is that, as a company, Valve has accumulated a lot of good will among the PC gaming community (for some reason - I can't figure it out myself). Origin routinely gets slagged for less because EA has little positive reputation. Battle.net, for all its faults, is frequently praised - mostly because of Blizzard's reputation. UPlay - see Origin, only with less positive to say about the service.

That's why I'm thoroughly convinced that the only company that could legitimately make an honest rival to Steam would be GOG/CD Projekt RED.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 24, 2015, 21:36 killer_roach

Julio wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 08:53:
Too bad Sony's not supporting the Vita - it was a pretty good handheld.

They didn't really support the PSP, either...

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
15. Re: Saturday Consolidation Oct 24, 2015, 21:14 killer_roach

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 20:54:
The funny thing is that now, people actually do WANT a powerful machine that does everything.. they just don't want it from Microsoft

Well, "powerful" sort of rules out the Xbox One... and, to be honest, probably the PS4 as well...

News Comments > Fallout 4 Ready to Roll
16. Re: Fallout 4 Ready to Roll Oct 23, 2015, 21:10 killer_roach

subx wrote on Oct 23, 2015, 21:05:
That's a bit of a weak tie-in

And it's more than a bit of a weak beer. How fitting!

News Comments > Fallout 4 Ready to Roll
12. Re: Fallout 4 Ready to Roll Oct 23, 2015, 21:05 killer_roach

Quinn wrote on Oct 23, 2015, 20:46:
A Dutch beer, always a good choice! You may also like Hertog Jan, if they have that on the shelf. Also, I noticed many Americans think the only dark beers are stouts, and if they don't like stouts, they think they don't like any dark beer. Well, then you should really try Troubadour Obscura or Gulden Draak. Dark beers imported from Belgium open your world to all kinds of awesome.

I'm partial to Delirium Nocturnum myself, but Gulden Draak is most excellent as well.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Oct 21, 2015, 21:43 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Oct 21, 2015, 15:44:
Jeb Bush takes aim at taxpayer-funded game projects…

Well, there's a vote-getter. At this rate you'll make president in 2525.

Just ask Curt Schilling how great an idea it is... government makes for a very unreliable business partner.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
12. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 21, 2015, 17:50 killer_roach

saluk wrote on Oct 21, 2015, 14:41:
The issue here was not the quality of Community (which I think most would agree has generally degraded each season), but with Yahoo's lameo attempt to compete with Netflix or Amazon. ONE well known property (and one that a lot of people hate) against those juggernauts? I'm a pretty big fan of community... but I have other stuff I watch too. And I didn't miss it enough to give yahoo a try.

I only saw one episode of it, and that was only because Matt Berry guest-starred in it.

News Comments > Konami Denies Kojima Exit
11. Re: Konami Denies Kojima Exit Oct 20, 2015, 15:24 killer_roach

nin wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 09:36:
It's the Iraqi Communications Minister all over again - "Konami is fine! Kojima is resting!"

I fully expected somebody to bring up Baghdad Bob, and I was not disappointed.

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Tales of Zestiria
3. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Tales of Zestiria Oct 20, 2015, 14:54 killer_roach

Brumbek wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 13:05:
30 FPS lock for gameplay, 24 FPS lock for cutscenes. NOPE. (And reviews are saying the game itself is outdated and messy, so those of us who demand 60 FPS aren't missing much.)

Quality of environmental textures just isn't there - they're practically PS3 quality. Character models are fairly good and well animated, however.

While somewhat inexplicably framerate locked, it's not really a game that needs a high framerate, nor is it much of a challenge for the game to keep at the rate limit at all times (I'm running the game at 4K with all graphics options, including anti-aliasing and texture filtering, maxed out, and the framerate just doesn't budge). Then again, at 4K most of the time you're limited to 30Hz refresh rate anyway unless you're using DisplayPort (which I'm not).

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2015, 13:21 killer_roach

InBlack wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 09:58:
Clocks not Glocks....Rofl...

Funny and Smart!

On one hand - concealed carry, you're doing it wrong.

On the other - if a counter-demonstrator tells you to go screw yourself, you're already prepared...

News Comments > CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit
17. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 5, 2015, 10:16 killer_roach

NasWulf wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 10:08:
If The Escapist was someone like the New York Times than I could agree with that statement but seeing how the xscape is probably has a legal team of one guy who was also the editor I would be very afraid if I was them with the financial backing that CIG could bring to a legal situation

Really, the question would be how it would play out in the UK, as their protections are quite a bit weaker as it pertains to libel. Supreme Court jurisprudence in the US has been pretty clear about extending Sullivan protections as far down the food chain as mere bloggers, and the recklessness standard that has to be overcome (in this case, at least) is significant. It's exceptionally rare to get allegations of recklessness to stick against a piece of long-form journalism, even if the entity publishing has a bit of a troubled reputation when it comes to due diligence.

13. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 5, 2015, 10:06 killer_roach

NasWulf wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 09:58:
But you're assuming that The Escapist is considered a credible press organization protected under the law, which they have demonstrated on several occasions that they are not. Slander and bigotry allegations are quite serious and detrimental to whomever is associated with them. If CIG can prove slander to them or one of thier employees, freedom of the press will be meaningless.

"the First Amendment protects the publication of all statements, even false ones ... except when statements are made with actual malice (with knowledge that they are false or in reckless disregard of their truth or falsity)."
- Justice William J. Brennan Jr., The New York Times Company vs. L. B. Sullivan, 1964

Mind you, since CIG is not a government entity, the test they would have to clear is a bit different, laid out by Curtis Publishing Co. vs. Butts in 1967, which indicates the standard being for protection being that the information was checked and not "recklessly gathered".

8. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 5, 2015, 09:53 killer_roach

InBlack wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 09:46:
Going after the press (even the gaming press) in the courts is a little bit like committing suicide. Especially if the author & editor are standing by their original assertions and sources.

The lawyers will like their paychecks though. They always do.

Not sure about how it would possibly go down in the UK, but a lawsuit of this nature would go absolutely nowhere in the US. Being able to prove sufficient malice aforethought to meet the standards of the Sullivan Test is very tricky indeed (unless Roberts tries subverting it by saying that he and his company are not public figures - good luck with that).

The reaction also invites further inquiry - it's like they've gotten their foot caught in a bear trap, pried the trap open, and then stuck their head in instead.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
2. Re: Sunday Mobilization Oct 5, 2015, 09:16 killer_roach

Simon Says wrote on Oct 4, 2015, 15:12:
What kind of crappy speed test is that? Might as well compare an orange to an apple. Standardized tests, like Geekbench, Basemark, Kraken and GFX are unbiased and valid since its ( as much as possible ) the same code running on both machines without any human factor. The code also tries to stay as OS neutral as possible. Wherehas with standard applications there's always a lot of optimization involved. Look at all the PC hardware reviews from serious sites. They're all objective standardized tests, none of that manual input subjective and subject to human error as well as external factors optimized crap.

BTW: Here are the Note 5 hard numbers: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note5-review-1286p5.php

Just compare them to what the 6S plus will churn out. There, done. Enjoy.

Here's a comparison for example in the 6S review with the S6 and other phones: http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_6s-review-1314p6.php

( Those complaining about input lag, when below a certain threshold, it becomes irrelevant and so do those "manual input" tests. )

Also sometimes interesting to see which tests people tend to focus on - Apple fans will usually cite Kraken and other Web benchmarks (due to Apple's SoCs being heavily optimized for single-threaded code as well as extensive browser optimizations) as well as onscreen GPU benchmarks (combine a powerful GPU with a low-res screen and watch what happens...), while Android fans will usually more emphasize Basemark or 3DMark (more multithreaded benchmarks), offscreen rendering tests (level the resolution playing field) or battery tests with Basemark or GFXBench (while the iPhone has top-tier battery life for web browsing - thanks to their engineering focus cited above - get the SoC to flex its muscles a bit and the battery life suffers).

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 29, 2015, 23:11 killer_roach

Bill Borre wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 20:15:
It sounds like Amazon is just trying to compete with UPS. I don't know how that will go for them.

Very different sort of model. This is more of a "last mile" sort of service, more comparable to local couriers than anything due to the lack of node-to-node sortation and shipment. Much closer to what your typical pizza delivery boy does than what UPS is doing.

(That being said, this isn't the first time Amazon has used an arrangement like this - they have contracted with couriers, some of whom operate by bicycle and moped, to deliver packages from fulfillment centers in India.)

News Comments > BATTLETECH Kickstarter
31. Re: BATTLETECH Kickstarter Sep 29, 2015, 18:53 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 18:38:
I said virtual goods. I understand that shipping physical goods here costs money. And while I don't agree with how my government devalues our currency there's little I can do about it. A copy of software is a whole different ball of wax however. They have regional pricing for every other country...except us, so hell no.

In all fairness, this exchange rate is closer to historical norms (still remember in high school when the exchange rate was basically 2:1...). Most any country with exports based around oil is getting their currency values hammered right now - some, like the currencies in Norway, Russia, and Brazil, make the Loonie seem practically stable in comparison.

News Comments > etc.
14. Re: etc. Sep 29, 2015, 16:49 killer_roach

Fion wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 14:11:
Haha the funny thing is he has no idea that the e-sports gamers at the top of their field are virtual rock stars in Asia (and have ever-growing popularity in the west) worth millions of dollars and are surrounded by young, beautiful women.

That or he knows and he's bitter about the fact that today you can be successful in a competitive environment without sucking up to frat bros.

News Comments > BATTLETECH Kickstarter
26. Re: BATTLETECH Kickstarter Sep 29, 2015, 16:46 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 15:33:
Since Kickstarter decided to go with a brilliant payment processor that seems to not comprehend the existence of a Discover credit card, I have been unable to KS anything.

I'd back this, but alas.

Yeah, not entirely sure what was wrong with Amazon Payments for them to go with a new processor... doesn't affect me much, but still...

1695 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo