Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1746 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 10, 2018, 23:51 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 21:59:
Bezos is such a fucking scumbag.

How many other companies will take people pretty much literally off the street and start them at $15 an hour with benefits for a job that has an injury rate markedly lower than working at Walmart?

I just wish I got that when I started with Amazon six years ago (even if I make well above that now)...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 3, 2018, 21:46 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Oct 3, 2018, 20:30:
At first glance it seems like these options are being taken away from people who make more than $15, not necessarily the people who just got a raise. It's doubtful the lowest-paid workers ever got stock options or anything.

They did - it wasn't a lot of stock, but it was a couple grand a year extra. The options didn't vest for two years, though, so a lot of people are looking at the changes as ones that mean they give up possible gains in the long run for a larger and more predictable paycheck right now. Also, it makes it easier to attract new hourly workers by being able to trumpet a nicer-looking base wage than have to do all the explanation of the total compensation package (much easier to say "minimum $15 an hour plus benefits")...

News Comments > GOG.Com 10th Anniversary Giveaway Selection
5. Re: GOG.Com 10th Anniversary Giveaway Selection Oct 1, 2018, 22:39 killer_roach

Ant wrote on Oct 1, 2018, 22:35:
I couldn't decide between Shadow Warrior 2 (SW2) and Superhot games. I enjoyed the original SW1 for DOS back in those days. Superhot looks cool, but it is more of a puzzle game? I also noticed you can change your vote in the poll.

I voted for Superhot, but only because it's the only one of the three I don't already own.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 24, 2018, 00:42 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Sep 23, 2018, 20:10:
Ugh, bad day in the pool for me. Can't believe that call on Mathews. This shit has to change or the NFL is done. Everyone except the league seems to grasp that.

As I mentioned to friends, you know the NFL is messed up when they're issuing personal foul penalties on hits that would be legal in soccer... and the only protective equipment they have is shin pads and a cup.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
6. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 28, 2018, 22:07 killer_roach

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 27, 2018, 23:04:
Well the chip will still throttle. It all depends on how hot the processor gets and those I9's get hot in a laptop without decent cooling. So anyone thinks this issue is fixed is fooling themselves.

What Ars is saying in this review is "the performance is much more consistent now!"... in reality, it's more consistent because it doesn't get a chance to ramp up to full performance anymore, it's close to perpetually throttled. The only thing that's changed is that it by doing so it's not having to throttle down to the point of near shutdown.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 27, 2018, 22:51 killer_roach

Nullity wrote on Jul 27, 2018, 12:18:
DRAM industry likely to face oversupply in 2019.
That's great, but what we really need is an oversupply of NAND, so SSDs can finally come down to a reasonable price.

We need DRAM to start coming down, too - you're still today seeing "performance" desktops with less RAM than my data analysis workstation I built in grad school a decade ago. That's seriously messed up.

News Comments > Retro Game Streaming Service Plans
3. Re: Retro Game Streaming Service Plans Jul 8, 2018, 19:52 killer_roach

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 8, 2018, 19:24:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 8, 2018, 16:32:
Telling that they don't list the games they have licensed.
DOA.
But the carefully currate the games they don't list.
Hype level raised to negative 0.00000101 dismissive wanks.

With Livingstone's involvement, the likelihood of overpromising and underdelivering approaches certainty.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 3, 2018, 22:18 killer_roach

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 3, 2018, 06:00:
Sony is populated with idiots as usual. Upping the Vue price is going to make them far less popular. Better services out there for less money.

DirecTV Now also just upped their prices by the same amount. I'm guessing content providers are losing their interest in OTT streaming packages.

News Comments > IKEA Plans Custom Gaming Chairs
18. Re: IKEA Plans Custom Gaming Chairs Jun 9, 2018, 21:19 killer_roach

christheshitter wrote on Jun 9, 2018, 03:19:
Gaming chairs are absolutely trash! Use real office chairs instead from renown brands!

*nods*
*looks at the price of a Hermann Miller Aeron chair*
*starts researching other options*

Honestly, my current office chair was one I bought from IKEA - paid $50 for it, and it's met my needs better than some chairs I've tried that cost ten times as much.

21. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2018, 22:55 killer_roach

Mr. Tact wrote on May 24, 2018, 13:30:
Peter M. Smith wrote on May 24, 2018, 12:59:
You all haven't figured out the husband doesn't *need* his wife to unlock the car, he *wants* her to unlocked the car. Because he thinks it's cool.
I'm not sure which would be worse -- too stupid to realize he could do it, or so stupid as to ask his wife who he knows is "in space" to do it because he thought it was cool.

Or the midway point between the two - she won't let him have the app on his phone since it's been pretty well demonstrated that he's more than a bit dense.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
2. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 5, 2018, 20:42 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on May 5, 2018, 16:35:
Oh fuck off with this fluff PR bullshit. The man is a fucking parasite and major league asshole anyway you slice it.

Seeing as he's the largest shareholder of my employer, I'd say he's done pretty well by me.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Mar 24, 2018, 23:37 killer_roach

Dev wrote on Mar 24, 2018, 13:52:
And that steam revenue estimate doesn't include DLC or microtransactions. I bet it's more like $5B, or $6B.

And $600 million of it (per the article) alone is from pubg.
Though that is a sketchy number, it has indeed sold 30 million PC through steam, but it's only $15 in china, which is where a large number have sold.

Another thought - assuming a profit margin similar to Microsoft (about 15%), you'd be talking roughly a billion dollars in profit annually, and a market cap likely in the $20-30 billion range - roughly half the size of EA, Activision, or Sony, making them close to takeover-proof without endangering the company trying to acquire them. (Even if Gabe wanted to cash out, the only likely bidders he'd have are the so-called "Big Three" of tech - Microsoft, Alphabet, or Amazon.)

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
1. Re: Saturday Interviews Mar 24, 2018, 20:24 killer_roach

With all respect to Josef Fares, I think what you're seeing more broadly (and not necessarily with respect to his title) is an increasing level of polish and artistic merit to sub-AAA titles. It's a lot like Hollywood in that regard - your tentpole pictures are going to typically be pretty formulaic, but you don't necessarily have to have a production with minimalistic production value in order to branch out narratively either.

The difference is that there's a few different ways in gaming you can employ to get the budget down into "risk-taking" mode that aren't typically available to the production of feature films - particularly as it pertains to length. (Most of the others, including limiting use of technology, purchasing pre-made assets, going with a cast of talent short on resume, outsourcing technical staff from the developing world... all apply to both.)

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce Partner Program Illegal?
20. Re: NVIDIA GeForce Partner Program Illegal? Mar 11, 2018, 18:18 killer_roach

Warskull wrote on Mar 11, 2018, 13:45:
This sounds like a seriously anti-competitive move. The brand is a huge issue. If Nvidia is pushing companies like Asus to stop using the Asus name with AMD cards that is a big issue.

That said, how legal the arrangement is really can't be evaluated clearly until somebody actually tests its limits, whether by creating an AMD-centric sub-brand (which could bring this into the grounds of antitrust if Nvidia tried enforcing their rules based on that) or directly with one of their existing brands (which would effectively rule it moot if Nvidia let it go).

As for the other cases in that decision square, a sub-brand that Nvidia lets go would leave the existing agreement in relatively murky legal ground (albeit much more cleanly defined) and an in-brand effort that Nvidia goes after could potentially be ruled as legitimate by the courts (although such a judgment could provide guidance as to the legal interpretation of the program going forward).

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
5. Re: Uber and Lyft Mar 3, 2018, 16:13 killer_roach

Bill Borre wrote on Mar 3, 2018, 10:50:
I'm not sure what the appeal of being an Uber driver is. Everything I've read about it is negative. Maybe it's just some kind of evolution of social media?

Some observations I've made on it - as a point of reference, I had issues with my car that required me to rely on Uber for almost a month a while back; these observations aren't anything scientific, but they seem to be somewhat illuminating.

1) A lot of the long-term drivers that I encountered were doing so largely as a hobby or a means of supplementing income, either from retirement or between other jobs with inconsistent schedules (catering, event security, etc). Their labor force is definitely more "want to" than "need to".

2) My usual costs for the standard UberX fare were between $1.25-$1.75 a mile - cheaper than cabs in the area, but also significantly higher than the estimated wages in this study, even after Uber takes their cut. I'm guessing the variance comes from the amount of driving needed to pick up your next fare, which will definitely make driving around a metropolitan area (like where I live) more appealing than operating around a more sparsely populated region (then again, in semi-urban or rural areas the economics rarely work for cab drivers, much less Uber).

3) Back of the envelope math seems to suggest the costs imposed are at least ballpark accurate, although a lot of drivers in this area either have very mechanically simple vehicles (which will cut down on maintenance costs) or modern hybrids (which will slash gas costs).

4) Only once did I have a driver who was aware of where I worked and what I did for a living ask me for a job recommendation, and that was seemingly a joking comment after seeing where I lived.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
14. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 1, 2018, 22:21 killer_roach

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 1, 2018, 21:06:
First a disclaimer... I am seriously cautious about "believing" statistics. Statistics can and are used to show whatever people want to show on a regular basis. So, that said, take this with a grain of salt... a stat given in the article on the Wichita shooting, if accurate, is troubling.
The lawsuit cites FBI crime statistics showing Wichita has a ratio of one shooting death for every 120 officers a number that is 11 times greater than the national ratio and 12 times greater than the ratio in Chicago.
I suspect the sample size isn't statistically sufficient... but it seems disconcerting.

For those wondering, Wichita is a city of almost half a million people - larger than Cleveland, St. Louis, or Orlando, nearly as big as Miami or Minneapolis...

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
1. Re: Saturday Consolidation Feb 11, 2018, 00:42 killer_roach

There's still the one possibility that people talked about in the development cycle of the PS4 and XB1 that could be revisited in the next generation... namely that Microsoft and Sony make their next generation console as a joint venture, with Microsoft largely taking on the media and networking sides and Sony handling the hardware and game development duties. With their combined streaming tech (Microsoft with their Azure-based system, Sony with the assets acquired from Gaikai), they could largely answer the compatibility question for legacy assets, and both current consoles being x86-based should mean forward-compatibility is likely just an abstraction layer away.  

News Comments > EA Financial Results
3. Re: EA Financial Results Jan 30, 2018, 22:03 killer_roach

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 30, 2018, 20:40:
Blah blah blah, the loot boxing of FIFA continues to make us rich, blah blah blah, we need to do more loot boxing...

Their full income statement says otherwise. They lost money in 2017Q4, although their guidance is indicating they expect a decent profit in 2018Q1. Still, they're trading close to forty times forward earnings without any indication that they're increasing in revenue or profit - that's a pretty ugly position to be in. Granted, there's talk of Microsoft buying them out, but I don't see a whole lot of upside in the stock at present.

Without something in their forward guidance that gives me some indication that they have found a way to improve revenues, this is a company that might only be worth 50-60% of what it's currently trading for. If you aren't interested in holding EA, there's nothing in their statement that will make you change your mind. If you currently have a position in EA, or are thinking about it, you may want to wait until after they report Q1 earnings, as over half their forecasted twelve-month forward earnings are expected in Q1 this year. If they miss on the top or bottom lines, they're looking at a significant correction.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 28, 2017, 19:08 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Dec 28, 2017, 16:20:
Creston wrote on Dec 28, 2017, 15:49:
Sue the shit out of them. I want Ajit Pai to spend the rest of his miserable existence in a court room. I want him to die in that court room.

At the very least it will tie up the FCC so they can't focus on making any other bonehead decisions.

Odds are it gets thrown out by an appeals court judge on the basis that the state of Minnesota lacks standing to file the case. Should take all of a few minutes.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2017, 21:07 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Dec 25, 2017, 15:34:
The Half Elf wrote on Dec 25, 2017, 07:35:
They are always closed Christmas day.

That's... That's unAmerican!

Nothing's coming in, nothing's going out - kinda pointless to stay open in those situations. (Wouldn't be surprised if Prime Now delivery stations start experimenting with Christmas/New Years service if they can line up the drivers, but fulfillment centers are a bit on the large side to keep open with almost no logistics support.)

1746 Comments. 88 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo