Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1689 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
41. Re: Op Ed Jul 11, 2016, 05:37 killer_roach

loomy wrote on Jul 11, 2016, 03:47:
valve could just list professional reviews on steam the same way metacritic does. what's the problem

They already have licensing/publishing agreements with a handful of sites to republish game news - shouldn't be that difficult to get opinion content in under a similar system (technically, you'll see some "Wot I Think" columns from Rock Paper Shotgun that show up in the game news, but you have to look for those at present).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Jul 4, 2016, 14:13 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Jul 4, 2016, 13:59:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 4, 2016, 11:18:
Well looks like it's time to file a complaint with the competition bureau. Jacking up the price on something higher then the original base price prior to a sale is illegal as fuck here in Canada.

The end run I believe is that they delist the product, than relist it as something else so whilst totes scummy it's not illegal.

Yeah, they've discontinued it. Most places are out of the physical copies as well. (Upon seeing this, I ended up running to my nearest Walmart and found they still had one copy that was marked down 25% with a clearance tag - that was cheaper than getting the DLC which I never bothered buying.)

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Jun 26, 2016, 04:48 killer_roach

ZeroPike1 wrote on Jun 25, 2016, 09:16:
yeah it was a really dumb move. They go from being a major power in Europe to being kinda of a joke. Even more so if Scotland breaks off. The EU might hit a hard time or two from the event, but its not dumb enough to break-up because of some Trump-like Brits.

Scotland doesn't hardly rate in terms of the economic health of the UK - they're practically the Mississippi of Britain. Take out Edinburgh and Glasgow, and you're talking about a per-capita GDP more along the lines of Hungary. Leave them in, and they're still about half the level of England, which itself is a good 20-30% below the US.

Ultimately, some sort of compromise is going to be reached. Economically, Europe needs Britain just as much as, if not more than, Britain needs Europe. Merkel is already trying to reach out to the British government about some sort of fix, which should likely result in a relationship where Britain is both European and not European at the same time.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: FBI gets an unexpected lesson in interrogation from a former Nazi. Jun 25, 2016, 22:59 killer_roach

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 25, 2016, 18:42:
Simon Says wrote on Jun 25, 2016, 15:29:
Fascinating story that German interrogator.
A seemingly well known lesson which US intelligence services refuse to learn.

Similar to how most property crime works. You can smash and grab and take a couple of things from somebody, or you can gain their confidence and clean them out.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2016, 05:54 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 16:42:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 11:07:
1badmf wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 01:07:
with flappy paddles you can downshift. i think about the only thing you can't do vs clutch is rev it in neutral and then drop the clutch and goooooooooo.
That might work, however the CVTs seem to be taking over in automatics too -- so how long before that goes away...

There's no debate about that, CVT's are just plain effing awful.

CVTs as currently used are awful. It was originally designed as a racing technology, and was successful to the point where Formula 1 banned their use. But pretty much any CVT on the market today is designed specifically to be as fuel-efficient as possible... which also tends to be stultifyingly boring.

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Jun 22, 2016, 05:51 killer_roach

Acleacius wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 11:29:
killer_roach wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 08:16:
Acleacius wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 08:06:
I know it's just me bitching about 2K again but did you see Mafia 2. I know it's not on sale atm, but a 6 year old game being sold for $30.00, with dlc at $42. They are asking $72 for the game and dlc.

When they recently brought it back on Steam it was offered for an 85% discount for the first week or two... as to it's present price, I'm guessing the music licensing rights for it aren't cheap (which is why it was originally pulled from Steam).
Yeah, I was the one who sent in the info. It was just the base game iirc, which still leaves another $42 for the dlc. Not to mention after 6 years no complete edition, either. I'm not really sure it's the music. Why use music so expensive they can't afford to offer the game for sale, for 2 years? Why not change the music? There are tons of solutions. And again, why is a 6 year old game total price $72, on sale or not?

It was the DLC as well, as I picked up the last couple of DLC things I didn't already have for a buck or two.

The add-on DLC content really seems to be the killer price-wise for older games, though - especially since it so rarely tends to go on sale.

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Jun 21, 2016, 08:16 killer_roach

Acleacius wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 08:06:
I know it's just me bitching about 2K again but did you see Mafia 2. I know it's not on sale atm, but a 6 year old game being sold for $30.00, with dlc at $42. They are asking $72 for the game and dlc.

When they recently brought it back on Steam it was offered for an 85% discount for the first week or two... as to it's present price, I'm guessing the music licensing rights for it aren't cheap (which is why it was originally pulled from Steam).

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 21, 2016, 06:38 killer_roach

Quboid wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 15:14:
I've noticed that in the last 5 years, the number of driving instructors who advertise automatic gearboxes on their cars has gone from almost none to about half. It looks like the British Isles is finally embracing automatic gearboxes. The shifter in that Jeep looks a bit awkward, I could see myself making this sort of mistake.

I've only ever driven manual, but then 99% of my driving has been in cars older than I am.

It's a pretty common shifter in some other cars that use the same ZF gearbox that newer FCA cars have, like BMWs and (I think) Jaguars, but in most of them it has an override where, if you open the driver's door with the selector in neutral, it automatically puts it in park.

Fiat Chrysler is the only carmaker who uses that gearbox that doesn't use such a setup.

News Comments > Quoteworthy: Microsoft on Returning to Steam
36. Re: Quoteworthy: Microsoft on Returning to Steam Jun 20, 2016, 00:39 killer_roach

Sepharo wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 00:36:
I don't think he was making an actual appraisal. Just a number big and absurd enough that nobody could possibly pass it up.*

*other than dave chappelle

I know - I was just saying the reality was even a bit more depressing than the scenario he outlined.

News Comments > Quoteworthy: Microsoft on Returning to Steam
34. Re: Quoteworthy: Microsoft on Returning to Steam Jun 19, 2016, 23:36 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Jun 19, 2016, 18:04:
If MS came to Gabe tomorrow and said "Here's a fifty billion dollar check." you think Gabe & Crew say no? Microsoft would instantly dominate PC gaming, and likely return it to the absolute miserable shithole it was before digital distribution. :|

The reality is it wouldn't take close to $50 billion to buy Valve if Gabe was looking to sell. Activision probably has enough money to buy Valve, but it would end up being in a stock and cash transaction. EA... simply couldn't. Microsoft could easily digest Valve in an all-cash transaction, and, if my best estimations of Valve's financials are correct based on what little they have said publicly, would be less than they paid for LinkedIn (my back-of-the-envelope figures for Valve would give them an informal valuation of about $8-10 billion, and add another 40-50% for a likely acquisition premium to get to a number about half of the $26.2 billion MS paid for LinkedIn).

Also, never forget that Microsoft was GabeN's former employer. If anyone would likely know how to get him to sell... it'd be them.

News Comments > Forza Horizon 3 Windows 10 Confirmed
20. Re: Forza Horizon 3 Windows 10 Confirmed Jun 15, 2016, 17:41 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 21:08:
In Forza Horizons 2 you can buy a Volkswagen Transporter (aka the Bus), and modify it so that it goes 0-100mph in 4.4 seconds. And then drag race it against people in Hennesey Venom GTs, and beat the living shit out of them.

Winner: Horizons. :)

For that matter, you could do similar in the main Forza series - in FM6 I modified a classic VW Beetle so that it was able to be run in Prototype-class events...

In all reality, though, the Horizon series should be thought of, first and foremost, as an extension of the Project Gotham games (in fact, the developer on Horizon, Playground Games, consists of a lot of ex-Bizarre Creations staff).

News Comments > PC TEKKEN 7 Confirmed
3. Re: PC TEKKEN 7 Confirmed Jun 13, 2016, 18:19 killer_roach

Kobalt wrote on Jun 13, 2016, 18:08:
Namco already announced that Tekken X Street Fighter is no longer in development sadly.

If it's any consolation, Akuma is in Tekken 7...

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
17. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 11, 2016, 17:32 killer_roach

nin wrote on Jun 11, 2016, 16:29:
IO9 has lost a few good people, but it's still a great site for Sci-fi, but stories and the people that post there. I worry about it the most, post acquisition.

If ZD ends up being the buyer, as is rumored, that would likely be one of the sites they'd be most apt to preserve (along with Gizmodo, Sploid, and probably Jalopnik, although they'd likely sell the latter to Hearst to merge into Road and Track).

(Also why I'm hoping they're the buyer and not a lot of the typical "big names" of blog networks, as the likes of Vox, HuffPo, and the Verizon-owned AOL would be more interested in preserving sites like Gawker, Valleywag, and Jezebel.)

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 11, 2016, 00:11 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Jun 10, 2016, 23:50:
Wtf would anyone be interested in them? Buy them and then they just continue on stupidly as before, get sued out of existence yet again, and there goes your investment.

The name and visibility, more than likely. Fire all the senior staff, get some veteran management in there, and it'll be cheaper than building all that from scratch. ZD is looking to buy for "well under" $100 million, which could be a significant deal (Gizmodo alone might be worth that much to them). Hence why it's an established traditional media company buying them out and not, say, Vox...

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Amazon Echo makes my kids rude Jun 10, 2016, 15:47 killer_roach

Desalus wrote on Jun 10, 2016, 13:42:
Creston wrote on Jun 10, 2016, 13:09:
Can't read the article here at work, but here's a thought:

Maybe, I dunno, spend some more time with your kids instead of buying a few pieces of technology and expecting those to raise them for you? Or don't buy an Amazon Echo and take 5 seconds to do shit yourself?

It's not about raising your kids or them being lazy. Instead it's about the lack of manners one needs when utilizing Echo. When you ask Alexa to do something you don't have to say 'please' or 'thank you'. It's an AI that works better with concise requests which means the typical niceties aren't typically said.

I've said before that if anyone was that concerned about it, change the trigger phrase from "Alexa" to "Please". It can be done pretty easily.

News Comments > TRON RUN/r Demo
5. Re: TRON RUN/r Demo Jun 8, 2016, 15:25 killer_roach

Rhialto wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 10:03:
May give this a try for the music...

It's really the only interest I have in the game.

With the Deluxe Edition on sale for $9 at the moment, that might be enough to get me to bite.

News Comments > Hard Reset Redux Released
16. Re: Hard Reset Redux Released Jun 3, 2016, 18:51 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Jun 3, 2016, 17:39:
I liked it well enough, but one playthrough was enough, and I sure as hell am not buying it again, 85% discount or not.

I got it from a bundle first time, so I consider the $3 this time around to basically be a tip for the developers.

News Comments > Hard Reset Redux Released
12. Re: Hard Reset Redux Released Jun 3, 2016, 17:08 killer_roach

LittleMe wrote on Jun 3, 2016, 16:24:
Don't buy it. Reddit PC Gaming thread with many examples of downgraded graphics which was promoted here as "enhanced visuals" but the opposite seems to be true.

Seems like for the most part the visuals are about the same, with any "downgrades" coming from engine tweaks to improve performance (not that it really ever ran slowly before, but people are reporting 200+ FPS with the remake). Overall it looks more like a rebalanced game with some inclusion of systems ported over from Shadow Warrior. I'm guessing the "enhanced graphics" is more to do with framerate improvements than anything.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jun 3, 2016, 16:59 killer_roach

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 3, 2016, 12:49:
Just another day in the world of Paradox doing paradoxial things...

Some of the comments on the article wonder if it has anything to do with Paradox entertaining buyout offers from Tencent, and as a result wanting to control information that might misrepresent the state of their finances.

News Comments > Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games
19. Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games Jun 1, 2016, 17:47 killer_roach

nin wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 17:03:
That's weird - did they ever say why a game was removed? Or just "here ya go"?

They said it was an "internal software error". That's it. A couple of times they've tried to pass it off as being a glitch with the Steam client itself, and make you delete all the cache files from your Steam install first, but that never fixes the issue.

1689 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo