Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1705 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 14, 2016, 21:36 killer_roach

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Nov 14, 2016, 18:45:
What better way to cap off a year of record breaking losses than to blow $8B on a mostly irrelevant audio company. Samsung is starting to feel like the Floyd Mayweather of the tech industry.

You aren't familiar with what all Harman is doing anymore, or their financials. At $8 billion they practically stole that company (11 times trailing earnings!), plus Samsung still have another $70B in the bank.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > SAG-AFTRA Picketing EA Today
11. Re: SAG-AFTRA Picketing EA Today Oct 24, 2016, 13:49 killer_roach

HoSpanky wrote on Oct 24, 2016, 12:01:
One, they want to know the name of the game they're being contracted to work on. A respectable voice actor doesn't want to accidentally add "Floppy Cock Massacre Brony Parade" to their resume. It's a two-fold move from the publishers, to keep unannounced games off of voice actor resumes, and to keep them from negotiating higher pay for higher profile games.

From that perspective, it seems like the publishers budging on either anonymity or royalties would take care of the other. Promise VAs a cut on a title, and they'll be more willing to take on an undisclosed project (especially if it turns out to be a big franchise game). Let them know the game up front, and the market mechanisms will sort out the pricing for VA on its own.

The other would be to employ the studio system model for employing voice talent (i.e. sign voice actors on as salaried employees of a publisher), but that opens up its own set of issues.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2016, 00:50 killer_roach

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 23, 2016, 01:31:
Doesn't matter, man... There are plenty of people who love Mei more than the others, and I'm sure muscles has her fans, too. And I don't mean platonically.

Zarya seems especially popular among people making lesbian fan art, usually with her more or less imposing her will on the other female characters.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 22, 2016, 03:35 killer_roach

Simon Says wrote on Oct 22, 2016, 01:39:
Flo wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 11:59:
PS4 Pro Has Extra 1GB of RAM.
Welcome, console players, welcome to the hardware upgrade race
I thought developers were not allowed to release games exclusive to the pro version but let's not kid ourselves,
original PS4 owners will be second-class citizens.

Find the answer to that question: What's the average difference in VRAM usage between a game running @ 1080p and the same game running circa 4k ( 1800p it seems for PS4 Pro most titles )?

Could it be 1 gig? WHO WOULD'VE THOUGHT?! Rolleyes

Sounds like it's primarily for the sake of improving multitasking, but also so that it keeps as much of the primary memory devoted to the game as possible.

News Comments > GOG.com Adding Two-Step Logins
16. Re: GOG.com Adding Two-Step Logins Oct 17, 2016, 01:33 killer_roach

JSP wrote on Oct 17, 2016, 01:21:
I got hundreds of hacking attempts into my GOG account by multiple, and by multiple I mean from 10 different locations in Russia that spammed my email address with 2 step verification requests. Thankfully I did have the verification so I contacted support and reported them. I guess my experience with our Eastern comrades was not an isolated incident.

I've only ever had two attempts made on my account, and oddly enough neither was from Eastern Europe... yeah, I'm surprised as you are. (One was from China, the other from Argentina.) This seems a pretty straightforward way of adding some extra security.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
8. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 14, 2016, 07:18 killer_roach

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 21:00:
$100, now that's a sweet deal and a way to keep customer's using Samsung phones.
In Korea you get $100 and get to keep a Fitbit 2 that you got with the Note 7. Glad to see that they're treating customers and the environment in a good way.

I got a Samsung Gear Fit 2 when I purchased my Note 7 - when I exchanged it I got a total of $95 back (my $70 deposit plus a $25 credit), got to keep the Gear Fit 2, and then went and got an iPhone (6S+ right now as a temp until the 7+ gets in stock).

The Gear Fit 2 is really pretty nice (I mothballed my Fitbit Charge HR ever since I got it), just wish Samsung would hurry up with iOS support (all they're committing to is "before the end of the year").

...then again, I saw what Samsung does when they hurry up. Take your time, guys.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 4, 2016, 15:15 killer_roach

MajorD wrote on Oct 4, 2016, 11:22:
...Microsoft pouring a bunch of money/resources into another project, go to market too late (again), have 'some' potential, and then abandon it? No, it can't be.

People were making comparisons between the Band and the Zune, which seems pretty accurate - both were pretty much "me too" efforts that came way too late, but were actually pretty decent. Just nobody cared.

News Comments > TwitchPrime for Amazon Prime Members
9. Re: TwitchPrime for Amazon Prime Members Oct 2, 2016, 17:31 killer_roach

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 2, 2016, 10:08:
TickleMyElmo wrote on Oct 1, 2016, 18:06:
For US only I'm sure. Amazon's stance on Canadian Prime customers has consistently been "Go fuck yourselves".
Nope, I can confirm, it works perfectly fine for Canadian customers as well. Amazon prime also gives 20% off game preorders at the moment.

The 20% discount also applies to new games within two weeks of their release. You can wait for reviews and still get the discount

News Comments > More GOG.com Connect
6. Re: More GOG.com Connect Sep 26, 2016, 14:57 killer_roach

Peter M. Smith wrote on Sep 26, 2016, 10:40:
It's a great idea, but it looks like GoG Connect doesn't cover DLC. I bought into the Founder's Edition for Galactic Civilization III. At Steam I have the game and all DLC. At GoG I have the base game.

Same with my Steam copy of AI War.

This batch added seven games for me - X Gold, Shadow Warrior, OlliOlli, The Masterplan, Ziggurat, AI War, and Teslagrad.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 25, 2016, 04:35 killer_roach

Nimh wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 12:03:
Oppo makes some of the best featured prosumer Blu-ray players on the market, and for very reasonable prices considering the hardware and inclusion of rs-232. Xbox/PS, or people who buy the cheapest of whatever, are not who these are market toward.

Still rocking a BDP-83 SE here!

I know, but still, launching at nearly double the price of devices that are already on the market from names mostly on the middle-high end of the spectrum seems a bit daunting.

Then again, as you point out, the people they're marketing to aren't going to sweat the cost either way, short of it being truly exorbitant.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 24, 2016, 05:30 killer_roach

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 21:53:
A mere $499, for a device that will no doubt be obsolete in a few years. Jump in, early adopters!

Only $200 more than devices from Sony, Samsung, and Philips that are already on the market. Such a deal!

(And $200 more than the Xbox One S, which can also play 4K Blu-Ray discs - doesn't handle some advanced audio options that home theater AV geeks would care about, but still - $299 for a 4K player that can play games or $499 for one that can't... hmm...)

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
18. Re: Robots will eliminate 6% of all US jobs by 2021, report says. Sep 20, 2016, 06:53 killer_roach

PHJF wrote on Sep 19, 2016, 08:09:
My university calculus teachers were woefully inadequate for the job. Calculus is already pretty heavy stuff, but having somebody with less than stellar English teach it to a room full of Americans is asking for trouble.

After having a Nigerian TA for my engineering physics class as an undergrad, I can say that's basically the reason why I ended up with a degree in economics and not computer engineering. Dude was unquestionably brilliant, but since I knew about as much French and Arabic as he knew English, the end results were dire.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
9. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 19, 2016, 01:17 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Sep 18, 2016, 20:55:
And yeah, 6% that seems outrageously low. I suspect it'll be a lot higher, and even larger another 5 years after that. Question is who the hell will by anything produced by the robots and AI if they don't have jobs. And what will you do with the multitudes or unemployed people? It'll either have to be a guaranteed income via government or it'll be massive crime and eventually a Revolution.

6% of 145 million (the approximate level of total employment in the US - last number from the BLS is 144.59 million) is 8.7 million jobs. In just over four years' time. If anything, costing about 175,000 jobs a month for four years is a pretty aggressive number (and would reduce total employment to 2013 levels, or, pre-financial crisis, 2006 levels). The trend is there, although I doubt it will be quite that fast.

You are correct, though, in that significant automation of the workforce would increase calls for a guaranteed income program, and would likely become much less controversial as time passes.

News Comments > Interplay IPs for Sale
26. Re: Interplay IPs for Sale Sep 8, 2016, 07:39 killer_roach

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 05:09:
Is it dead, Jim?

If it's not, it's still probably safe to write the obituary.

News Comments > THOTH Announced
2. Re: THOTH Announced Sep 4, 2016, 05:19 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Sep 3, 2016, 04:20:
Jeez, this looks like ass.

Reminds me a bit of Everyday Shooter - the difference being, mind you, that Everyday Shooter is a decade-old PS3 (and later PC) title that was made by a single person. But that game also used its minimalism to good effect with procedural music and some genuinely unique level design - this just seems to be minimalism for minimalism's sake (then again, it's coming from the makers of 140 - another game that put being "artsy" ahead of being "good").

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
16. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 1, 2016, 07:39 killer_roach

Retired wrote on Aug 31, 2016, 19:17:
Never had any issues. I wonder if it is because I am in Minneapolis and they have Amazon warehouses here. I think the Amazon trucks just deliver directly from there nearby.......

I'll say this - it's the fact that you're that close to a sort center that makes a lot of the difference. The warehouse itself helps a bit, but you could get stuff shipped from across the country and it'll still get there pretty quick because the sort center in Shakopee handles a lot of the logistics for the carriers (very easy for Amazon to contract their own freight from sort center to sort center and then have USPS or UPS simply cover the last bit of the journey).

News Comments > Op Ed
41. Re: Op Ed Jul 11, 2016, 05:37 killer_roach

loomy wrote on Jul 11, 2016, 03:47:
valve could just list professional reviews on steam the same way metacritic does. what's the problem

They already have licensing/publishing agreements with a handful of sites to republish game news - shouldn't be that difficult to get opinion content in under a similar system (technically, you'll see some "Wot I Think" columns from Rock Paper Shotgun that show up in the game news, but you have to look for those at present).

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Jul 4, 2016, 14:13 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Jul 4, 2016, 13:59:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 4, 2016, 11:18:
Well looks like it's time to file a complaint with the competition bureau. Jacking up the price on something higher then the original base price prior to a sale is illegal as fuck here in Canada.

The end run I believe is that they delist the product, than relist it as something else so whilst totes scummy it's not illegal.

Yeah, they've discontinued it. Most places are out of the physical copies as well. (Upon seeing this, I ended up running to my nearest Walmart and found they still had one copy that was marked down 25% with a clearance tag - that was cheaper than getting the DLC which I never bothered buying.)

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Jun 26, 2016, 04:48 killer_roach

ZeroPike1 wrote on Jun 25, 2016, 09:16:
yeah it was a really dumb move. They go from being a major power in Europe to being kinda of a joke. Even more so if Scotland breaks off. The EU might hit a hard time or two from the event, but its not dumb enough to break-up because of some Trump-like Brits.

Scotland doesn't hardly rate in terms of the economic health of the UK - they're practically the Mississippi of Britain. Take out Edinburgh and Glasgow, and you're talking about a per-capita GDP more along the lines of Hungary. Leave them in, and they're still about half the level of England, which itself is a good 20-30% below the US.

Ultimately, some sort of compromise is going to be reached. Economically, Europe needs Britain just as much as, if not more than, Britain needs Europe. Merkel is already trying to reach out to the British government about some sort of fix, which should likely result in a relationship where Britain is both European and not European at the same time.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: FBI gets an unexpected lesson in interrogation from a former Nazi. Jun 25, 2016, 22:59 killer_roach

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 25, 2016, 18:42:
Simon Says wrote on Jun 25, 2016, 15:29:
Fascinating story that German interrogator.
A seemingly well known lesson which US intelligence services refuse to learn.

Similar to how most property crime works. You can smash and grab and take a couple of things from somebody, or you can gain their confidence and clean them out.

1705 Comments. 86 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo