Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1735 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Mar 24, 2018, 23:37 killer_roach

Dev wrote on Mar 24, 2018, 13:52:
And that steam revenue estimate doesn't include DLC or microtransactions. I bet it's more like $5B, or $6B.

And $600 million of it (per the article) alone is from pubg.
Though that is a sketchy number, it has indeed sold 30 million PC through steam, but it's only $15 in china, which is where a large number have sold.

Another thought - assuming a profit margin similar to Microsoft (about 15%), you'd be talking roughly a billion dollars in profit annually, and a market cap likely in the $20-30 billion range - roughly half the size of EA, Activision, or Sony, making them close to takeover-proof without endangering the company trying to acquire them. (Even if Gabe wanted to cash out, the only likely bidders he'd have are the so-called "Big Three" of tech - Microsoft, Alphabet, or Amazon.)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
1. Re: Saturday Interviews Mar 24, 2018, 20:24 killer_roach

With all respect to Josef Fares, I think what you're seeing more broadly (and not necessarily with respect to his title) is an increasing level of polish and artistic merit to sub-AAA titles. It's a lot like Hollywood in that regard - your tentpole pictures are going to typically be pretty formulaic, but you don't necessarily have to have a production with minimalistic production value in order to branch out narratively either.

The difference is that there's a few different ways in gaming you can employ to get the budget down into "risk-taking" mode that aren't typically available to the production of feature films - particularly as it pertains to length. (Most of the others, including limiting use of technology, purchasing pre-made assets, going with a cast of talent short on resume, outsourcing technical staff from the developing world... all apply to both.)

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce Partner Program Illegal?
20. Re: NVIDIA GeForce Partner Program Illegal? Mar 11, 2018, 18:18 killer_roach

Warskull wrote on Mar 11, 2018, 13:45:
This sounds like a seriously anti-competitive move. The brand is a huge issue. If Nvidia is pushing companies like Asus to stop using the Asus name with AMD cards that is a big issue.

That said, how legal the arrangement is really can't be evaluated clearly until somebody actually tests its limits, whether by creating an AMD-centric sub-brand (which could bring this into the grounds of antitrust if Nvidia tried enforcing their rules based on that) or directly with one of their existing brands (which would effectively rule it moot if Nvidia let it go).

As for the other cases in that decision square, a sub-brand that Nvidia lets go would leave the existing agreement in relatively murky legal ground (albeit much more cleanly defined) and an in-brand effort that Nvidia goes after could potentially be ruled as legitimate by the courts (although such a judgment could provide guidance as to the legal interpretation of the program going forward).

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
5. Re: Uber and Lyft Mar 3, 2018, 16:13 killer_roach

Bill Borre wrote on Mar 3, 2018, 10:50:
I'm not sure what the appeal of being an Uber driver is. Everything I've read about it is negative. Maybe it's just some kind of evolution of social media?

Some observations I've made on it - as a point of reference, I had issues with my car that required me to rely on Uber for almost a month a while back; these observations aren't anything scientific, but they seem to be somewhat illuminating.

1) A lot of the long-term drivers that I encountered were doing so largely as a hobby or a means of supplementing income, either from retirement or between other jobs with inconsistent schedules (catering, event security, etc). Their labor force is definitely more "want to" than "need to".

2) My usual costs for the standard UberX fare were between $1.25-$1.75 a mile - cheaper than cabs in the area, but also significantly higher than the estimated wages in this study, even after Uber takes their cut. I'm guessing the variance comes from the amount of driving needed to pick up your next fare, which will definitely make driving around a metropolitan area (like where I live) more appealing than operating around a more sparsely populated region (then again, in semi-urban or rural areas the economics rarely work for cab drivers, much less Uber).

3) Back of the envelope math seems to suggest the costs imposed are at least ballpark accurate, although a lot of drivers in this area either have very mechanically simple vehicles (which will cut down on maintenance costs) or modern hybrids (which will slash gas costs).

4) Only once did I have a driver who was aware of where I worked and what I did for a living ask me for a job recommendation, and that was seemingly a joking comment after seeing where I lived.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
14. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 1, 2018, 22:21 killer_roach

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 1, 2018, 21:06:
First a disclaimer... I am seriously cautious about "believing" statistics. Statistics can and are used to show whatever people want to show on a regular basis. So, that said, take this with a grain of salt... a stat given in the article on the Wichita shooting, if accurate, is troubling.
The lawsuit cites FBI crime statistics showing Wichita has a ratio of one shooting death for every 120 officers – a number that is 11 times greater than the national ratio and 12 times greater than the ratio in Chicago.
I suspect the sample size isn't statistically sufficient... but it seems disconcerting.

For those wondering, Wichita is a city of almost half a million people - larger than Cleveland, St. Louis, or Orlando, nearly as big as Miami or Minneapolis...

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
1. Re: Saturday Consolidation Feb 11, 2018, 00:42 killer_roach

There's still the one possibility that people talked about in the development cycle of the PS4 and XB1 that could be revisited in the next generation... namely that Microsoft and Sony make their next generation console as a joint venture, with Microsoft largely taking on the media and networking sides and Sony handling the hardware and game development duties. With their combined streaming tech (Microsoft with their Azure-based system, Sony with the assets acquired from Gaikai), they could largely answer the compatibility question for legacy assets, and both current consoles being x86-based should mean forward-compatibility is likely just an abstraction layer away.  

News Comments > EA Financial Results
3. Re: EA Financial Results Jan 30, 2018, 22:03 killer_roach

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 30, 2018, 20:40:
Blah blah blah, the loot boxing of FIFA continues to make us rich, blah blah blah, we need to do more loot boxing...

Their full income statement says otherwise. They lost money in 2017Q4, although their guidance is indicating they expect a decent profit in 2018Q1. Still, they're trading close to forty times forward earnings without any indication that they're increasing in revenue or profit - that's a pretty ugly position to be in. Granted, there's talk of Microsoft buying them out, but I don't see a whole lot of upside in the stock at present.

Without something in their forward guidance that gives me some indication that they have found a way to improve revenues, this is a company that might only be worth 50-60% of what it's currently trading for. If you aren't interested in holding EA, there's nothing in their statement that will make you change your mind. If you currently have a position in EA, or are thinking about it, you may want to wait until after they report Q1 earnings, as over half their forecasted twelve-month forward earnings are expected in Q1 this year. If they miss on the top or bottom lines, they're looking at a significant correction.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 28, 2017, 19:08 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Dec 28, 2017, 16:20:
Creston wrote on Dec 28, 2017, 15:49:
Sue the shit out of them. I want Ajit Pai to spend the rest of his miserable existence in a court room. I want him to die in that court room.

At the very least it will tie up the FCC so they can't focus on making any other bonehead decisions.

Odds are it gets thrown out by an appeals court judge on the basis that the state of Minnesota lacks standing to file the case. Should take all of a few minutes.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2017, 21:07 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Dec 25, 2017, 15:34:
The Half Elf wrote on Dec 25, 2017, 07:35:
They are always closed Christmas day.

That's... That's unAmerican!

Nothing's coming in, nothing's going out - kinda pointless to stay open in those situations. (Wouldn't be surprised if Prime Now delivery stations start experimenting with Christmas/New Years service if they can line up the drivers, but fulfillment centers are a bit on the large side to keep open with almost no logistics support.)

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 24, 2017, 16:52 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Dec 24, 2017, 16:09:
Yeah, so the first one on the list is Westmalle, which I picked up a 750ml for Christmas dinner.

Chimay is good, it's probably the most commercial.
Rochefort is my fav, sooooo smooth and rich. High alcohol though: I had three bottles at a Christmas party a couple weeks ago, and was wasted.
La Trappe is also very, very good.
St. Joseph's is also excellent, but a bit more expensive than the others so I usually don't get it.
The rest I haven't tried.

There are lots of "unofficial" Trappist style beers out there. La Fin du Monde is probably my favorite of these, and it's relatively inexpensive at $10 or so a bottle.

St. Bernardus Abt 12 is my favorite in the style - it's the same brewery that used to brew Westvleteren XII for the St. Sixtus abbey before the monks took their operations in-house. Needless to say, far cheaper than trying to get Westy on the gray market (and certainly cheaper than getting it honestly, which involves a trip to Belgium to visit the abbey) - at about $12-15 for a 750ml bottle, it's well worth it.

Of the others on that list that I have tried -

Achel is pretty solid, and reminiscent of Westmalle (not a huge surprise). Hard to find consistently in the US, though - you'll have better luck around huge cities, but I've yet to find it around since moving to Kansas.

Orval is rather commercial like Chimay, but a solid beer in its own right. Closest comparison would be to Rochefort 8. Usually not too difficult to find at a good bottle shop with a solid selection of imports.

Koenigshoeven I've only had their Tripel, which was decent but hard to justify on the basis of price. Only ever found it once, at a grocery store in Ohio.

Stift Engelzell is a bit of a step down if you look at the flagship heavy hitter ale (Gregorius), but their lighter beer (Benno) is worth checking out. Also reasonably affordable if you can find it (priced comparably with Chimay). Not super hard to find, but not as easy as others on the list.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
15. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 23, 2017, 21:01 killer_roach

Slashman wrote on Dec 23, 2017, 18:10:
You know I'd love to see some actual factual statistics about all these people who are living comfortably on social care programs versus the poor bastards who have no fucking choice.

Because the first thing I hear from protesters (who have pretty much zero connection to the poor people in these programs) whenever these discussions come up is I know a guy who cheats the system and gets free X or Y from the government. I have yet to see any convincing statistics that this is the huge issue it inevitably gets presented as.

Most studies I've seen on fraud and abuse of welfare programs put the problem at around 0.25% of spending (on the low end) and 2% (on the high end).

In reality, the few instances of abuse get people angry, but the real issue is the massive amount of bureaucratic waste in the systems. It shouldn't cost that much or require that many people to basically cut checks, and yet it does.

Needless to say, most political debates about government spending seem to involve both sides cherry-picking corner cases that resonate with their supporters (minions?) and completely missing the major issues in play.

News Comments > Crytek Suing Cloud Imperium
10. Re: Crytek Suing Cloud Imperium Dec 13, 2017, 21:19 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Dec 13, 2017, 19:52:
Yeah but what about all the initial assets created with CryEngine? Were they all remade from scratch in Lumberyard? If not they owe Crytek. I'm guessing they probably weren't but CR will say they will - and this added a huge cost to development so everyone will have to give them yet more millions to cover this. This is definitely going to make history as the first new Ponzi style scheme done with a game - except the returns are virtual which makes it an even better scam!

They don't need to - what makes this switch so ridiculous is that Lumberyard is a licensed fork of CryEngine, compatible with nearly all CryEngine assets. Porting costs would be negligible, although I'm sure Crytek still wants their royalty claims to Star Citizen to be upheld, hence the aggressive legal push to prevent what is likely a sizable payout from being taken out from under them.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
23. Re: Saturday Metaverse Nov 5, 2017, 20:37 killer_roach

Beamer wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 16:31:
Do you think Amazon is hiring people that don't want to be in Canada?

Do you think they're hiring people that can't speak "functional English?"

Do you think they're hiring refugees?

People have told you, repeatedly, that isn't the case, but it's like you read nothing. Amazon doesn't hire HB1s that are underqualified or unhappy to be there. They don't hire them at reduced salaries, either. Amazon is hiring the people coming out of the schools. Do you know who is filling the top MBA and CS programs in both our nations? Foreigners. Do you know who Amazon wants to hire? The top MBA and CS graduates.

It isn't hiring them because they're foreigners, and it isn't paying them less, it's hiring them because they're the most qualified. And most of those very qualified candidates want to stay in the West and build their lives here.

I work for Amazon as an entry-level manager - over the years I've worked with a couple dozen people hired through their recruitment of elite business schools. I've helped train people who have received MBAs from Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Michigan... and who come from literally all over the world. Ghana, Mexico, Nigeria, Romania, Taiwan, India, Brazil, Egypt, Australia... about the only thing they have in common is that they came here to learn and develop their careers, they're somewhere between very and incredibly good at what they do, and they're paid extremely well based on what they bring to the table.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2017, 20:15 killer_roach

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 13:22:
There is now no nominee for Drug Czar, DEA Administrator or Health and Human Services Secretary.
“It’s unfair to judge a president on his first 300 days.”

As a libertarian, his inaction there might be among his best actions as President...

News Comments > Forza Motorsport 7 Rolls Out
9. Re: Forza Motorsport 7 Rolls Out Oct 3, 2017, 19:07 killer_roach

Dman20 wrote on Oct 3, 2017, 15:10:
DangerDog wrote on Oct 3, 2017, 14:59:
95 gb download?

for a racing game...

okay

Is that the PC or Xbox version? If Xbox version just wait for Xbox One X. Got GoW4 on the PC and its already 120Gig+, and I know its large on the Xbox One already.

That's the PC version. The Xbox One version, between disc install and download, is just under 70GB.

News Comments > Emulation and the Law
4. Re: etc. Sep 30, 2017, 18:22 killer_roach

MacLeod wrote on Sep 30, 2017, 17:34:
Rilcon wrote on Sep 30, 2017, 17:00:
Atlus kinda extremely sound like high-level assholes... I mean, they're not selling any more copies of PS3 games, so this reeks of lawyers doing something assholish and ultimately detrimental to everyone affected and involved just to justify their absurd paychecks.

Well, Persona 5 was just released this April (for PS3 and PS4) so it is a new game... but it seems odd that they could DMCA an emulator that doesn't emulate their hardware.

Mind you, they were the company that threatened people if they were streaming their game earlier this year (Persona 5 as well).

From what it sounds like, Atlus sent the C&D because the emulator was showing images of their emulator running Persona 5, which means they were using Atlus' IP to solicit donations.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 20, 2017, 02:47 killer_roach

Simon Says wrote on Sep 19, 2017, 21:45:
Those Coffee Lake prices... Dayum... 7800X is a 6 core HT enabled part on HEDT and is 375$ + Ryzen 1700 8c/16t is 350$. So 400 bucks for the i7-8700k 6c/12t with that much competition?

Just price the damn thing at the same pricepoint as the 7700k. For once in your miserable lives in front of competition Intel, would you kindly offer some value?

Trying to extrapolate from UK prices from one retailer is a tricky game - oftentimes tech prices there are the same in GBP as they are in USD (despite the difference in exchange rate). If the 8700K looks to be £350 there, it'll probably be about $350 here.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
6. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 3, 2017, 01:54 killer_roach

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 2, 2017, 23:18:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 2, 2017, 15:14:
Sometimes it's what they say.
"We hope to use AI in our phones to have more learning capabilities ... together with big data, we will be able to understand consumer habits...," Lee told ZDNet.
It's no longer spying on you, your habits and what you do if it's in your hand.

At least they are honest about it... and let's face it, a proper AI needs to know and understand your habits to be.. well.. intelligent. Although I guess this limits what you can or should do with your phone, especially when it starts to call the cops on you for a suspected "criminal habit" o.O Or refuses to call the ambulance when you injure yourself in an illegal act...

Odds are they would probably glean insights from this data based on your internet activity generated from this AI - not only that way does it show them what sort of information was actually relevant to you, but it likely makes it easier for them to modify their own privacy statements.

News Comments > Crackdown 3 Delayed
12. Re: Crackdown 3 Delayed Aug 17, 2017, 17:37 killer_roach

ForgedReality wrote on Aug 17, 2017, 16:20:
Cutter wrote on Aug 17, 2017, 14:21:
There's zero technical reason to not make DX12 for earlier Windoze versions. It's simply the carrot MS dangles to try and get people to suscribe to their Windows as a service/we own all your data model they're trying to establish. No fucking thank you. I'll quit gaming before I embrace that shit.

You - XYZ corporation - don't need to know anything about me. I know you want to, but you don't need to. As far as I'm concerned the our entire relationship is nothing more than you providing me with a product that I pay for once and own and that's it. I'm not interested in monthly services/renting. And there is no free upgrade because there are no free lunches. If a company expects something in return it ain't free.

I've been waiting for someone to come up with a reverse-engineered/"cracked" DX12 for Win7. It would probably take a lot of work, but I'm not upset if it never happens. Really nothing that's DX12-only has come close to enticing me thus far. Pretty sure I could live without one that did entice me though to avoid having to infect my machine with Win10.

Why wait for a successful back-porting of DX12 just so you can stick with Win7? Hell, if somebody were able to port the whole driver model over I'd go back to Win2000.

News Comments > BULLET SOUL INFINITE BURST Bursts onto Steam
3. Re: BULLET SOUL INFINITE BURST Bursts onto Steam Aug 1, 2017, 22:25 killer_roach

and, of course, more kanji that we can't read.

First, it's katakana, not kanji.

Secondly, it's just restating "Bullet Soul Infinite Burst".

1735 Comments. 87 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo